20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball-ike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9847 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Just got a high score and heard a call out I haven’t heard before! Gandalf says “Son of a Took!” I lloled. That’s not even in the hobbit movies is it?

Bilbo is the son of Belladonna Took and Bungo Baggins. So he *is* a Son of a Took... not sure where it is in the movies, perhaps the opening pipe smoking scene, or perhaps in the unexpected party when Gandalf explains how golf was invented.

1 week later
#9900 3 years ago
Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

I want to second / third / 10th that the bag end gate mod is a game changer - literally. Not only do I not get the super frustrating SDTM after hitting a clean pop bumper shot but it gave me so much more practice at using my upper flipper that I killed Smaug tonight for the first time ever and did it with my black arrow upper flipper. So thanks trumpanche for making this!

I will add my thanks, super quick delivery and communication when I ordered. It took just a few minutes to install, and the instructions were clear, even for bit ole mitts like mine. I’ve played several games, it hasn’t moved, and the gameplay change is noticeable, especially getting the pop bumper awards on the dwarf and captive ball targets, and fewer SDTM returns obvi...

With 2 other gates in the area I’m surprised this wasn’t OEM, but there isn’t an immediate mounting area for an OEM gate, and so likely wasn’t possible, which makes this clever mount even better.

Well done Travahontas folks like you, capguntrooper and others making simple but meaningful mods are a fantastic part of Pinside!

7 months later
#10847 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

On another note, I'm trying to get to grips with the rules, have been reading the rulesheet that's linked to this topic... there's a bit about getting to the level 4 mystery award which says this:
Level 4/Green – Precioussss: Ring save – carefully time your ring button strike to save
your ball (exiting the right outlane) [Note: Does not require Beorn Target Hit… does
Beorn do anything?]
o Awards a right outlane exit ball save feature where you must time your ring
button press to fall within a specified window.
o This feature is only enabled when you exit the right outlane and then nudge the
ball so it hits the Beorn target.
Can anyone add some info to this, like what's the specified window? And does the Beorn target really need hitting?
Also, is there a more recent rulesheet? The one I'm looking at has a lot of blanks/tbds/questions in it...
Thanks a lot!!

When Golem is lit, and you hit the rollover, the ring save is visual on the main screen. You have to time the button hit when the moving bar is within the blue ‘save zone’ if you get one save the next ‘save zone’ is smaller, and the bar moves faster. I have saved twice on many games, but never a third time. Beorn target does nothing here.

For the MB Beorn save, usually a quick nudge as ball drains is enough for the target to be hit, my experience is that nudging isn’t always needed because the ball bounces enough when draining, but it can drain without hitting the target. So I always nudge if I see the ball right draining during a multi ball. You will often hear Gandalf say, ‘There is another ball’

This is the best rule sheet I’ve seen, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w8A56XYts9n-qZBQUL4VW4c91AIzoUmk/view

But there are really good nuggets in this owners thread, like using your flipper to determine which subway VUK the ball rolls too when you put it in the Erebor Lock…(e.g Smaug vs Radagast)

#10853 2 years ago

Thanks for your detailed reply! Just to be sure I understand this first line, to get Golem lit, you have to get to level 4 of the mystery awards by not collecting levels 1 to 3, and the level increases by going over a left and right inlane... is that correct? And by 'hit the rollover' you mean the outlane rollover, correct?
I'll certainly be reading that rule sheet! Thanks for the link!

Hi pinballslave

Yes, your understanding is correct on increasing the mystery award level by not collecting the lit target and repeating the right and left in-lanes to the mystery award level you want to collect. The rules also mention that the color of the insert in front of the target changes as your mystery award changes. So you can visually see what mystery level you are on. That’s yet another nugget I hadn’t internalized about this game until this conversation! 18+ months and 1000+ games and I’m still learning….

And yes, I meant the right outlane rollover target, and ‘hit’ was probably not the best way to describe my point… ;-0

Enjoy your game! I know I love mine.

Scott

#10877 2 years ago

My thinking was that by splitting the voltage supplied to the coil between the coil and a resistor placed in series with it then the volts to the coil would reduce which would weaken motive force to the plunger and therefore the sound as the plunger hits the end stop would be less... don't you think that would work?

Play it until you can’t hear it anymore! it for sure seems loud at first…but I don’t notice at all anymore. It is also actually nice to be able to hear the dwarf skill shot clicking away, especially if someone starts a game and steps away, you can easily change the skill shot and save some wear and tear, too quiet and you wouldn’t notice.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 week later
#10909 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Ike:

I will add my thanks, super quick delivery and communication when I ordered. It took just a few minutes to install, and the instructions were clear, even for bit ole mitts like mine. I’ve played several games, it hasn’t moved, and the gameplay change is noticeable, especially getting the pop bumper awards on the dwarf and captive ball targets, and fewer SDTM returns obvi...
With 2 other gates in the area I’m surprised this wasn’t OEM, but there isn’t an immediate mounting area for an OEM gate, and so likely wasn’t possible, which makes this clever mount even better.
Well done Trumpanche folks like you, capguntrooper and others making simple but meaningful mods are a fantastic part of Pinside!

Hey quick update and thankful shoutout to Travahontas

I see I installed this several months ago and have had trouble free usage and really like the change in gameplay. I just had to replace the driver board for the book monitor and my big hands moved the gate mod. When I put it back, it didn’t stick very well, but I went back to my original package from Travahontas and lo and behold… there was a spare mount with a brand new sticky gel! 1 minute later, the gate is back in position, my book monitor works great and I am back in business.

Several plays later, I remain pleased with this simple mod and encourage everyone to try it out! While it’s cool that a ‘print it yourself’ person has also made a copy and will likely respond in moments to my recommendation…I think it’s thoughtful stuff like a spare mount and the innovative invention itself that make it worth supporting the modder community.

2 months later
#11112 2 years ago

That looks great, I would likely take 4 if you are selling them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball-ike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=pinball-ike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.