20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (7 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (7 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (7 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phbooms.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2570 7 years ago

Quick question, has anybody had light board issues on there Hobbit? there the same boards as WOZ right just individualy wired instead of chained together like a WOZ? want to buy a used Hobbit but scared of no warranty and board issues popping up.

#2572 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Not the same boards as WOZ it's a ground-up redesign. Other differences include the fact that Hobbit GI are white only where WOZ had RGB throughout and that Hobbit has several special LEDs to simulate traditional 89/906 flashers. The wires are rather tiny to say the least and there have been issues here and there with the boards that control the various groups of lights (mounted under the playfield) but as far as issues overall it has been night and day with WOZ. Hobbit lighting is exponentially more reliable.

thanks man i appreciate the info!

#2582 7 years ago

I just picked up a Hobbit from another pinsider and one of the beast pop ups wont pop up. It trys to come up but only moves 1/4 inch up when the coil kicks in. It feels like the coil might be binding inside. Everything is tight and i can push it up and down with my hand but can feel a tight spot in the up and down movement. Has anybody delt with this issue at all and if so what was the reason.

#2584 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd check if the mech is binding in the playfield hole it goes up and down in. 5 screws hold the whole assembly. It can be loosened and moved a little.
LTG : )

i figured it out. i turned the nut on the bottom of the drive coil plunger alittle and now it works again. must of moved alittle during transport today cause i know it worked at the guys house i bought it from. thanks Loyd for quick response!

#2587 7 years ago

Anybody know of any decal kits for the standup targets? The set i put on WOZ really made game look finished and Hobbit has the same unfinished look with the standups all over the place.

1 week later
#2647 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I have a very early build and have never heard the sound popping or crackling issues, and have the 1.9 code.
I think its got to be hardware, unless its damaged sound files in the code release? Or bad downloads?
It seems odd.

im new to Hobbit and didn't follow along from the beginning, what is considered early built? i got 4/20

2 weeks later
#2749 7 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Put extra lighting with Red in back and red by flippers back when I first got it and love it! But then again I'm addicted to modding lol

is this what you used? at $12 for a entire roll ebay.com link: 5m 16ft Roll 3528 SMD LED 600 LEDs Flexible Waterproof Light Strip 12V Choose

#2750 7 years ago
Quoted from Bigtone808:

Not quite sure why you need to adds lights to such a modern machine
In my opinion I have not seen one mod that enhanced the already beautiful game.
Just no need for it!

i do wish somebody made side blades that actually look good and fit the theme and decals that look right for the stand up bare targets

#2759 7 years ago
Quoted from Squall:

Yesterday I killed Smaug and get all wizard modes. Do you have any idea what is after finishing all modes? What is after completing on 100% all wizard modes? Cause I'm worried little bit about lastability of Hobbit (I hope it won't be too boring)

Im worried also with the present code. Whats the point of 32 modes if you only need to complete 1 for each ruin stone to get to the wizard modes. Also no final wizard mode after Battle of 5 armies is a bummer. I also dont like that its the same shot setup to get to each wizard mode, sorta boring after you pass into the fire. Game needs some major polish and changes cause presently its got alot of code but its not as well put together as LOTR's code.

A few things that i would change is increase the difficulty to get the ruin stones after each wizard mode-
So after ITF you would need to beat 5 modes to get the mode ruin stone for BE and 10 modes complete to get the ruin stone for BOTFA.

Start smaug mball 2x for BE ruin and have to kill smaug to get BOTFA ruin.

Make it so have to collect all the dwarfs in feast frenzy and a different song sung by dwarfs during feast frenzy for the barrel escape stone and different song for BOTFA stone.

Also for the Beast frenzy make it beatable with super jackpots for each beast after so many hits on each with the amount of hits required increasing for each ruin stone, so 5 hits each for ITF ruin, 10 each for BE ruin, and 20 hits each for BOTFA ruin stone.

To make the 32 modes more interesting part of the game besides needing to beat 1 to get to each of the wizard modes which i find a total waste of all the badass modes this game has im not really sure what can be done. Maybe divide them up by movie and after you beat each movies modes a mini wizard end of each movie mode starts or a victory lap mball for completing each movies modes. A final after beat all the modes wizard mode needs added also to tie the mode part of the game all together. Im sure theres better ideas to better utilize the modes then that but presently there just filler and should be the other half of the game cause right now it just feels like theres only 3 wizard modes and kill smaug to work towards.

Smaug mball is great the way it is i have no issues with it.

These are just quick ideas and im sure theres much better ideas but in its present form the code is sorta weak in my opinion, deep but weak. Its to repetitive and the modes are very under utilized. I made it to BOTFA in first week i owned it and compared to LOTR its just to easy in its present form.

2 weeks later
#2836 7 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

New owner here. With other games I have owned, whenever you lock a ball, the ball would be trapped somewhere on or under the playfield. Another ball would be served up to the shooter lane. With "The Hobbit" when I locked a ball it seemed as though it didn't really lock the ball anywhere; just spit it out down the wire ramp on the left. It said "Ball 1 Locked" on the screen though. Is this normal? JLC

Yes its normal. Virtual lock

2 weeks later
#2895 7 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I found the 1.94P update. Is it worth installing it over the official 1.90? What kind of new features does it offer?

Kickback settings are adjustable. Helped my game by making sure the up post at the kickback didnt miss the ball which it was doing alot.

3 weeks later
#2988 7 years ago

Docdeath could you show a full playfield shot? I like everything but the golbin figure, i think that would look better with a barrel top and another dwarf on it.

2 weeks later
#3067 6 years ago

How do i get on the private JJP forum? Jen sent me a invite but didnt say anything else.

EDIT: nevermind Jen sent me link to forum

#3070 6 years ago

i dont understand how they can say game code is complete when the game itself says there should be a final mode unless im missing something? ive completed all the modes so if its in there i dont know how to start it.

20170323_130856 (resized).jpg20170323_130856 (resized).jpg

20170204_212140 (resized).jpg20170204_212140 (resized).jpg

#3076 6 years ago

just downloaded 1.95 beta. looks like Beast frenzy has a super jackpot now and is completable and says something about the ring stopping beast frenzy?

What are the sneaky mode locks? ive never done this and have no idea what they are.

#3081 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Ah, you're right...good call! Those are pretty rare. I've only seen it a couple times.

Ive made soft orbits and had the balls lock without the magnet many times but my audits say ive never had any sneaky mode locks thats why i was wondering.

Just played first game on 1.95, killed smaug and made it past barrel escape. Game seems a touch easier. I didnt see how to finish Beast mode or how to skip it with ring button. Precious save ball sceen was alittle weird also the blinking purple lights takes a few minutes to get use to. Overall just a touch more polish with this Beta code but its got some bugs that need ironed out.

Also what is reserve play?

#3083 6 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

I'm having a problem and hopefully someone can give me some guidance. My kickback was misfiring and I figured I had an issue with the switch for the kickback, and adjusted it slightly. I now get a perfect full kick up to the upper right flipper, but the sliding scale kickback for the man targets is reversed. Meaning if I stop it at the top of the scale, it will dribble over to the left warg lane. If I stop it at the very bottom of the scale, it will give me a full kick to the upper right flipper. I noticed it more after 1.94, but even after playing and adjusting it, I still haven't got it figured out. Any help is appreciated!

Are you running 1.95 beta now? This is a known bug with the new code and Keith is aware of it

#3101 6 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

Good call. If the playfield protector affects anything as far as gameplay it's very minimal and you'll be grateful you added it if you ever decide to sell the machine ( there will be a like-new playfield underneath it!).

Are you sure its not the reason your selling it? You say game hasnt clicked with you maybe its the playfield protector effecting the gameplay for you? Ive never knowingly played a game with playfield protector so i dont know how much they effect gameplay. Did you play one at a show that you really liked then bought one with protector and it didnt feel the same, just a thought.

On your Hobbit vs GOT thread i originally said id get rid of Hobbit first but since the 1.95 update Hobbit has been owning GOT here.

#3103 6 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I don't think it's the playfield protector- it's the long ball times.

understand, game sure does have super long epic ball times. Ive had lots of 1+ hour games.

#3105 6 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I've never even broken 3 million points and I know I've had games that have lasted a half an hour!

you got to kill Smaug before you sell it, definitely one of the best parts of the game(or any game really) in its present state of code.

1 month later
#3354 6 years ago

Radio silence over at JJP google forum on code updates. I really wish they would have at least acknowledged owners there but zero from JJP. I sold my Hobbit because of its weak code and JJPs lack of acknowledgment. Game has what i would call long code but not deep. Sorta like a long boring movie with lots of scenes that mean nothing in the end. To many gimmies to collect the 5 ruins. Ball bounces around with no skill from player to collect most of the ruins. I seen the entire game by day 2 of owning. I hate that this is the way this game ended up being for me because i so much wanted to love this game!

1 month later
#3532 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Has anyone ever played all of the modes? I've gotten all but one twice now. Does anything happen if you play or complete all of them?

Yes i have and nothing happened, this was on 1.95 code.

20170204_212146 (resized).jpg20170204_212146 (resized).jpg

#3548 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well, to be fair there are settings that can alter how difficult / easy the game plays. Owners can set the game up to award extra balls at certain scores, set game to 5 ball, make other settings easier, etc.
If someone has completed all of the Hobbit modes on default 3 ball settings that is damn impressive.

Did it on 3 ball 2x actually but only took picture second time i did it and the glass was on and 7.2 angle with factory outlanes...sold game because of the long ball times and how easy game was. i made it through the entire game on day 2 of owning unfortunately on 1.9 code.

Did the 2.0 code add anything gameplay wise? Ive only read it added callouts, choreography on modes, and abstract lights.

#3562 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I think that there is a bug that has persisted through all of the updates. When starting the game and at other times the Radagast light isn't on when all of the other corresponding lights are lit. Is this just my game or is it like this for all games? The light works at other times throughout the game, so I think that it's the code.

Hes not a Dwarf. Notice in your picture Gandalf and Bilbo are not lit either also because there not Dwarfs.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phbooms.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=phbooms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.