IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulbaptiste.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9614 3 years ago

Does anyone have the service bulletin/directions for the attached beast mech parts? I do not have the paperwork and have yet to hear back from JJP on the directions.

I've had trouble with the spider mech getting stuck in the up positions and have lost both screws from the back if the sculpture. Hoping to do these updates at the same time.

Appreciate any help you can provide!

20210117_132150 (resized).jpg20210117_132150 (resized).jpg
#9619 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

With some help and insights from allhokie3, I've finalized the design and installation instructions for the "Gate at Bag End" mod and I finished an initial production run of 13 kits. I've got a Pinside ad, so you can grab one here, but it's easier for me if you use Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/trumpanchemods That's the only way for me to do international - they figure out the shipping.
I hope those of you who get one like them as much as I do! Also, please please please share your thoughts and feedback!
drdoom toppers joetechbob
[quoted image]

Awesome! Just placed an order for one.

#9655 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Well that sucks. Just installed my sweet pingraffix art blades and the left side got snagged and easily ripped when lowering the play field. They look great but this will definitely bother me. Wonder if they would sell just one side to me
[quoted image]

That does suck. I ruined one side of my Wonka and then found out the made protectors to avoid this. Highly suggest purchasing them before changing it out again. Available at Pinball Life

Screenshot_20210124-162208_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210124-162208_Chrome (resized).jpg
1 week later
#9691 3 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Made this with some help awhile back, but just wondering how the demand would be if I tried to recreate something similar..it’s made out of real post oak and still maintains the original apron underneath..wouldn’t be cheap but is amazing looking in person
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Absolutely incredible! Sign me up!

1 week later
#9721 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

Just got my machine Sunday.......loving it so far and so glad to have joined the club! Wondering if there a good reference tech guide for beast tear down and rebuild? Also, the JJP website is a little sparse on parts, do you just call them to order all the little pieces, springs, spinners, etc?
Thanks in advance!

Did you get a hardcopy manual with the machine? Also, there is a Hobbit tweaks thread with some valuable information in that regard. I need to fix mine as well but there should be a beast mod coming out soon and don't want to do it twice. Welcome to the club!

#9723 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

JJP referred me to the manual online for part numbers and then email them for quotes. No manual in mine but there is a CD which probably had an outdated version of what they have online. I’m in the tweaks thread also, thanks!
A beast mod from where? Had not heard that.

https://littleshopofgames.com/product-category/the-art-of-pinball/

Screenshot_20210209-202437_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210209-202437_Chrome (resized).jpg
#9729 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

Oh wow - I had not seen that Lior is confirmed as doing new beast sculpts! Apparently he's also had a change of heart on selling his topper...AND it indicates there's some other mystery mod he's doing! Cool stuff! Thanks for sharing paulbaptise!

I know right! I'm incredibly excited to see whats next. I asked him about Wonka as well since he has seemed to overlook that JJP game. He assures me there is something in the works there as well.

I already bought the Elite Topper for Hobbit so can't see dropping 1k on his, but damn does it look amazing. We will see!

1 week later
#9776 3 years ago

Damn! $140 for a lit button. There just isn't anything economical in this hobby. Does look nice though, just not $140 nice.

#9780 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

I always seem to miss out on mods because by the time I have the money to buy them, they're no longer available
With that being said, does anyone have an extra:
-ring button engraved plate
-Lior's barrel legs
-Lior's book cover
-mod for bag end
That they would be willing to sell?

The bottom three are definitely available. Check little shop of games for Lior's mods

https://littleshopofgames.com/product-category/the-art-of-pinball/

#9785 3 years ago
Quoted from Modelvisionary:

To help you decide, I added a discount code PINSIDEHOBBITFORUM just for Forum members for 10% off.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the background info on its creation. You make some beautiful products. Now I need the ring and the button...damn this hobby!

#9799 3 years ago

Nice find from the thriftshop to hang by my Hobbit.

20210220_151936 (resized).jpg20210220_151936 (resized).jpg
#9802 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Ordered a big 2-incher and shooter combo. Thanks!

Ordered both as well and had my best game ever. All 3 mini wizard and Smaug defeated. I had 28 modes played...so close!!

20210220_195312 (resized).jpg20210220_195312 (resized).jpg20210220_195320 (resized).jpg20210220_195320 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#9912 3 years ago
Quoted from dabear007:

Man, That's awesome.
Forgot I even had this.
Had to dig out a shoebox from the closet to find it.
I've had it since high school (late 80's).
Remember kids
Just say no

[quoted image][quoted image]

Thats a bad ass dugout right there! Thanks for sharing!

#9924 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I don't know much about this title, and seems to be a pretty low volume changing hands. I'm looking to round out my JJP's (only missing this and WOZ). I've heard some negatives about this game, but heard the same about Wonka and it's my favorite game. Huge LOTR fan, so love the IP on the Hobbit.
Would anybody be able to give me a link or a quick description off the different version of this game? From the JJP website, I can see the SE, LE, and Black Arrow editions, and then from looking around I can see a Smaug edition. Assuming the chronological order was SE, LE, Black Arrow, Smaug? What's the difference (other than the armor colors)? Did they do technical changes like they did the series of WOZ machines (light boards)?
Probably subjective, but from a collector standpoint, which is the one to own?
Thanks for any insight!

I'd choose whichever artwork you like the most. I chose the LE for that reason. It was a recent build, so had all the updates as well. I like having the characters on side of the cabinet as opposed to only the dragon. That's just me though. They all play 100% the same.

#9965 3 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Getting rid of games you like is tough. Im in for a gnr as well but no space and dont want to sell any that I have. So...Im shipping off one of my games to one of my kids.

I'm going to reverse engineer that idea... If I can get my Dad into pinball then he can ship me his excess machines! Excellent strategy there!

4 weeks later
#10146 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I am also interested in buying this if anyone has one. Pm me

Just installed Lior's new mod so have the same mezel mod button and bar to part with if still needed.

1 week later
#10204 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

Finally got my hands on one of these games. I’m completely blown away, absolutely incredible. So underrated.

You ain't never lied!

3 weeks later
#10325 2 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Boom, third game on the new v3.11 'Scorbit' code, killed Smaug (only for the 2nd time ever), started the three wizard modes!
Hey JJP where is the 'there and back again' mode? Are we still waiting for that?
https://sv.scorbit.io/viewer/leaderboards/341

You have to play all the standard modes for There and Again to take place. I thought the same thing that it would natively happen once I killed smaug and played the 3 wizard modes. Was incredibly disappointed when it didn't.

1 week later
#10368 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Received WiFi dongle today and plugged it Into the front usb (by coin box). How does one set it up from here? I went to network settings and there’s nothing for WiFi connection.
I looked on JJP site for instructions but not finding it. If anyone has a link please provide.
Do you need both the WiFi and BT dongles plugged in?

Did you update the game first? You'll need to update to make it wifi compatible first. Then those settings will be available.

2 months later
#10559 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

I think your theory about the wire harness is a good one - you need a certain amount of "slack" in that harness for the head to rotate freely. You should be able to feel any snagging by rotating his head by hand (when the game is powered off)... If you lift the playfield and try and "shove" the harnesses up into the Smaug mech, that might be enough to free up his movement... (it's quick, so worth a try anyway)... Good pics of the mech and harnesses in this old post:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/135#post-4891745

This sounds like it might be the culprit. Considering it just started occurring after a move I hope that is the problem.

1 month later
#10750 2 years ago
Quoted from EmptyLogic:

My suggestion is just buy one.. play it for a while and move on if need be... don't think you'll be able to appreciate it as much outside of a home setting

It absolutely needs to be at home to remotely experience the greatness of this game. I feel that way with all JJP games, but hobbit especially. It is definitely worth the risk as it captures theme integration and immersion better than any game out there in my opinion.

1 month later
#10907 2 years ago

Exciting times for JJP owners!

219A2CA3-A78B-4E05-9CC9-27E6615F3D9A (resized).png219A2CA3-A78B-4E05-9CC9-27E6615F3D9A (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulbaptiste.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=paulbaptiste and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.