IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Yes - from the movie clips. And Ernie Hudson did the custom call outs.

The Ernie Hudson callouts for GB is a big plus for the game. While Ernie Hudson is a great actor I'm sure Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen likely cost much more to hire for voice work as they have more starring roles in recent films. I recall Jack saying that Martin Freeman wanted $100k for custom callouts! That seems crazy.

Gandalf does seem like the ideal / logical character to lead you in the game so I can see why JJP wanted callouts that sound like Ian McKellen's character. I think the voice actor they hired does a close Gandalf impression but it's too bad if the license holder is really saying his callouts sound too close to Ian McKellen...

It sounds like the licensing with The Hobbit has been a bit of a pain. I remember Jack saying that Peter Jackson himself turned down some of JP's animations and something about Smaug not being able to get hit by a pinball.

Jody Dankberg from Stern recently told PinballNews.com some interesting points about the challenges with licensing.

Jody also said using licensed themes brings its own challenges. “Having made hundreds of games we typically know what to expect but each new license presents its own ups and downs. Each licensor is unique in the way they handle creative projects and approvals.”

Update: forgot this was owners club thread, sorry! I may still get a Hobbit one day. Game looks great.

1 month later
#119 7 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

Just another cheap way ...What was bad was the sticker for the Limited Editions. Really....They could not do a plaque of some kind or something. Nope....They put in a cheap sticker for your Limited Edition. That was bullshit. Come on JJP....you are slipping. But I guess it was not peeling off...so that is some good news.

Even as a JJP fan I agree with that. Its bad enough Stern puts a tiny metal plaque on LE's that you can barely see but a sticker is worse.

Every JJP LE and SE should come with a wood apron with a cool plaque mounted on it like on WOZ ECLE. JJP should have made that a staple for all of their LE and SE games.

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yep, I think the backboxes are blank on Sterns. Not sure why JJP went the sticker route...it can't be much cheaper if at all. Who cares either way? It's the back.
It's similar to bitching about a dirty fingerprint on the bottom of the cab. Who cares?

It's because these NIB games are now $8k+ and attention to detail / quality assurance is expected when dropping that type of dough on a pinball machine of all things.

I recall the late Steve Jobs making a comment on how he wanted to focus on the back of the iPhone just as much as the front of it. He was on to something in terms of caring about the look and feel of an entire product. Even though it's the back of the game WOZ and those Hobbits with screen printed backs + the Jersey Jack signature stand out more and exemplify a high quality product.

2 weeks later
#203 7 years ago

Does anyone recall Jack saying that there are going to eventually be custom (voice actor) Smaug and or Gollum callouts in the game as well? I thought he said something like that last year.

#207 7 years ago

Just curious, does The Hobbit have a true mirrored backglass?

#217 7 years ago

Congrats on the new game Pimp77! Looks great. Do you know if JJP has implemented any potential hardware fixes with the latest games now being shipped?

I'm back in on The Hobbit (probably the 5th time, lol) as of today. Deposit sent for an LE. Will post pics / impressions when it arrives in a couple weeks.

#223 7 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

You staying in this time Panzer?

I just changed my mind again and I'm out, Hobbit sucks!

Just joking, haha. Yes, this time I'm staying. I've been very impressed to see how the games code is rapidly developing and how much the fun factor keeps going up with each release.

#226 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am happy to keep my order after playing it. Some hate it - some love it. All that matters is what you think as the owner.

Yup, and I think more and more people will love the game with each code update. I had friends that disliked playing WOZ early on and one even said "why would you buy that game". Well a dozen code updates later, those friends now like the game and one of them that is an avid pinball fan always wants to play it when he comes over.

We are just starting to see Keith take advantage of The Hobbits feature with code updates. There are now more interesting uses of the lockdown bar button, the pops up trolls are being integrated better with the games rules (Beast Frenzy is awesome), the windlance kickback is being used in modes, etc.

I don't think we've seen anything yet in terms of just how fun The Hobbit will play.

#238 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How so? All I see are post after post complaining about how "wide open" and "empty" the PF on TH is.
Great review, by the way. Seemed pretty unbiased.

Hey RobT! Welcome back. I take it you have a Hobbit on order since you are posting in this thread? lol

#242 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

No reason for the "lol" !
I always said I was interested in the Hobbit.
I played it.
I liked it.
I ordered it.

Nice! Did you go with an LE or a Smaug edition?

#244 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I went with the LE because that is what was available from my distributor. I ordered about 2 months ago. I don't have too much money down, and if it doesn't ship by the first week of July I can (and will) get my deposit back. We will see if JJP can actually get these shipped out the door. Jack himself gave me the estimate. I hope they can come through, because I really liked the pin.
It TH a blazing fast "in your face" pin that keeps you on your toes? Nope. Is TH a drain monster in the likes of IM and TWD (two of my favorite pins that I still own)? Nope. Does it have an open PF and long shots? Yep. Does it play completely different than any Stern pin? Yep.
And I loved the fact that it was so different. Frankly I had been getting burned out on the hobby and needed something new and different to get me excited again. I didn't have high expectations when I played TH (Eskaybee was with me) based on the many reviews posted here. I was pretty surprised by just how much I liked it.
That widebody PF that is wide open in the middle has the effect of making those long shots feel very smooth and satisfying. The orbit shots in particular were smooth as silk. This was a rather shocking contrast to my GOT premium that I had bought (with the screwed up left orbit from the factory- but my purchase of that pin is a whole other story in itself).
Add to the above the excellent job that they did with the LCD and the animations, sound effects (Thiel is awesome), sound quality, and just overall appearance of the pin, I was hooked. Eskaybee and I both would have paid in full right there on the spot if we could have taken it home with us. And this was based on early code (which was obviously lacking) and it will only get better from there.
I'm looking forward to having a much more unique pin in terms of gameplay than what I've had in awhile.

Awesome. Great write up!

I know what you mean about the game playing different and being unique in terms of gameplay compared to others. That's a welcoming change from some of the more common layouts.

#263 7 years ago

Nice! Your point #2, mode variety, is one of the main reasons I went for TH over another game. Keith just comes up with so many unique rules that you won't find in other games. Keith reworked some of the modes in 1.10 so I'm sure others will get polished up as well.

I thought the 31 modes included the wizard modes but based on the screenshot below from Tiesmasc's rulessheet they are separate! Keith mentioned in a Pinside post a while back that the game will have 3 mini wizard modes, 3 major wizard modes and one super wizard mode. Insane and I love it haha. Keith's deep rulesets are another reason I went with The Hobbit.

hobbit_modes_(resized).JPGhobbit_modes_(resized).JPG

#268 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I too can say this game rocks. I find myself on an adventure every time I play. Just ordered blades for it and they look awesome. My best score to date.

Nice! That door / high score animation is really slick. Theres a lot of attention to detail in the games animations.

#276 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Did you get these:
http://www.pingraffix.com/#!product-page/c1xid/9c44c702-ae88-abb0-b169-2c85f4fe974b
I was just looking at them and think they would be a great enhancment.

Those look pretty slick!

#287 7 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

I haven't been able to figure how to light up the gollum ball save, any ideas?
Also anyone know what the red target just past the corner of the right outlane is for?
Mine is so close to the apron that I can't get a bounce off the rubber to hit it. In fact it acts like a gate, just barely big enough to let the ball pass through.

I don't think the outlane target is programmed the game yet. I'm going to guess that it will be used for an outlane mini game similar to TOTO and Theres No Place Like Home in WOZ.

#288 7 years ago

I think that's the switch that activates the ring save.
It activates more frequently if your pitch is at 7 degrees.

Oh, I didn't realize thats what activated the ring switch, I thought just the far right outlane switch does that and that the target is for something else.

#313 7 years ago

Does anyone know if custom images can be loaded into The Hobbit as of 1.10? My uncle and I saw all 3 Hobbit films together in theaters and before seeing Battle of the Five Armies we took a picture together outside of the theater. My uncle unexpectedly passed away late last year and I would love to have the picture of him and I up on the game.

#316 7 years ago

Have you tried increasing the power to the ball trough VUK in settings? I had to up the VUK ball trough coil power a few times in order for balls to consistently eject.

#322 7 years ago

Here's a tip thanks to TNT Amusements on how to prevent ball hang ups on the far left habit rail while still retaining a factory look.

TNT Amusements used what I believe is the post with threaded top in the link below to prevent ball hang ups on the far left habit rail.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=323

hobbit_post_(resized).JPGhobbit_post_(resized).JPG

#340 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Ok. Looks like you DO kill smaug in smaug multiball.
So I guess there is no mini wizard equivalent like destroy the ring, and the arkenstone modes are just going to have to be super epic

Well, Keith did say that the game will have 3 mini wizard modes, 3 major wizard modes and 1 super wizard mode. I'm not sure if Smaug multiball is classified as a wizard mode or not. Typically a wizard mode is reached when another set of objectives / modes is completed or at least attempted.

I'm going to guess that Smaug muliball is not a wizard mode and is a traditional multiball mode like Emerald City multiball in WOZ, which is not considered a wizard mode either. Like Emerald City multiball I think Smaug multiball is intended to be the main mulitball in the game that can be started by most players.

In LOTR "Destory the Ring" and in WOZ "Battle the Wicked Witch" can be attempted after a set number of objectives is attempted. I'm sure something along those lines is coming for TH.

Personally I don't think we've seen anything yet in terms of just how deep this game will be.

#367 7 years ago

Are all Hobbits being shipped with 4GB of ram or only some?

#370 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

All are shipping with 8 GB.
My game had symptoms indicating too low of RAM, which Keith identified, and as far as I know, the only Hobbit out there that this happened to.
LTG : )

Ah ok, good to know. Glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue quickly.

#390 7 years ago

Just received word from my distributor that my Hobbit LE has shipped! Can't wait to play it.

#392 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Will you get it by Friday?

Not sure yet. It shipped out from the east coast. Going away this weekend for memorial day weekend and won't be home until Monday. Did your shipper give you some flexibility over what day delivery would be?

#400 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Interesting, thanks- the fuses are in the computer/server case correct? I believe that's where they were in my old WOZ. I'll try and reseat them tomorrow. I'm sure it's nothing serious.

Congrats on the new game! For the reset issue I would first upgrade to 1.10. Next, I think LTG in the thread above mentioned something about swapping RAM into the opposite slot. Not sure if that would correct the reset issue. It certainty does sound software related and I'm sure will be fixed in the next software release.

#402 7 years ago

Oh, I wanted to mention this very cool mod for the game from user "Dkammer" on the JJP Google Group. The lighting behind the The Hobbit's backglass is bright white and tends to wash out the display. For about $10 shipped you can give the backglass a warm lighting effect and not permanently alter the game. All you need is one of the gel sheet filters below, cut two strips of it, stack them on top of each other and apply over the LED strip behind the back glass. I just ordered a sheet earlier this week for my game.

http://www.adorama.com/LE206S.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwpLa5BRCTwcXS6_rpvC4SJACTDQMMKVXFtR3RHsqhlX1cbsP4vKfR8pqkoNFl2X0dfr7EXBoC7gXw_wcB

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Filters-24x21-Filter-Sheet/dp/B00FXHVP6S

Thanks again to DKammer (I don't think I've seen him post on here) for this awesome mod.

Hobbit_before_(resized).jpgHobbit_before_(resized).jpg
Complete_(resized).jpgComplete_(resized).jpg
Hobbit_After_(resized).jpgHobbit_After_(resized).jpg

#437 7 years ago
Quoted from bdaily1983:

Anybody else getting huge airballs from the rollovers? If I hit a rollover dead on, it will jump from the rollover to the bottom of the ramp. It will lose momentum and not make it up the ramp. I tried for a little bit to adjust the switches. Maybe I need to mess with it a little more?

I haven't seen airballs off the rollovers on the couple on location Hobbits I've played. I would try to adjust the rollover switches to lower them slightly as they could be slightly higher then they should be. Also, if the flipper power has been cranked up you can always try lowering it down one level at a time and seeing if the airballs stop.

#439 7 years ago
Quoted from bdaily1983:

Thanks. I'll try to adjust them again tonight. They are pretty hard to reach.

You're welcome. Since they are tough to reach it will be easier to see if just dialing the flipper power back one level at a time helps. If the game then feels like its play slow though I would think it's the rollovers being slightly higher then they need to be.

#456 7 years ago

My Hobbit LE has been delivered! The shipping box was scuffed up in a few spots but no holes in the box so that's good. Charging Escalera now to move it into my basement tonight with the help from a friend, haha. Downloading 1.10 now.

Also, I contacted Jen regarding ordering the pop up troll fix. Jen said that the current versions are prototypes, the production version for customers are in process.

Oh, I just noticed while browsing the files with the 1.10 update that there are subfolders with images / video for the games 3 Arkenstone modes. They must be coming soon in a future update!

hobbit_(resized).JPGhobbit_(resized).JPG

#459 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Awesome. The Hobbit rules. The future of pinball is here with JJP. I had to say that. Carry on.

Haha, yup. While I can't move the game yet I had to at least check out the legs! I'll tell ya, The Hobbit easily has one of the highest quality powder coated armor sets I've ever seen on a pinball machine, just wow.

20160526_162151_(resized).jpg20160526_162151_(resized).jpg

#489 7 years ago
Quoted from Peppers:

My Hobbit SE #960 has finally left Jersey Jack and heading to my lonely mountain. I hope to get it in a week. Pic is Smaug's new home as seen from our bedroom. I think I am one of the last of day one orders. But at one point I asked mine to be delayed as we were moving to our new place. I am beyond excited!!!!! A huge thanks to Everyone at JJ and especially LTG for taking care of us.

Congrats! Wow, what a view. That is awesome.

#490 7 years ago

A few items I need to adjust out of the box.

1. Plunger spring is too weak to reach the "dwarf" drop targets. Going to replace.

2. Rollovers seem too be up to high and may be causing some of the airballs. Will lower.

3. Setting the game to a 7 degree pitch resulted in the ball falling off of the far left habit rail often. I set it back to the recommended 6.5 degree setting.

Items that need to be corrected through code.

1. Shaker motor is making a bit of a squeaking sound. Others have reported this since updating to version 1.10.

Stuck balls at far left habit rail and pop ups?

I haven't seen a ball get stuck at the far left habit rail. I did have one ball get stuck in a pop up as it was coming down but a few seconds later it came out.

Update tips

1. I originally downloaded the 1.10 update file, unzipped it to my hard drive and copied it over to the my thumb drive. When attempting to update the game I got a "no update folder found" error. Turns out if you unzip the file directly to your USB thumb drive (root, nothing else on it) it will have a different folder name "hobbit_update" versus "TheHobbit_Delta_v1.10" if you unzip it to a local drive (I'm running Windows 10 btw). I'm not sure why the folder name changes based on if it's extracted to a USB thumb drive or to a local HD drive but in order for me to get the update to work I had to unzip the file from my local hard drive to the USB thumb drive.

#494 7 years ago

Does anyone know if a leaf adjustment tool is required to lower the rollover targets?

Thanks!

#500 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Put shaker on "extreme" for now. It fixed it for me and no crazy extreme shaking. It's still pretty minimal.

Thanks for the tip! Will do.

I ended up ordering a "purple" rated plunger spring for the game. I think that will help with a full plunge not being able to hit the dwarf targets on my game. Also ordered some green Perfect Play flipper bands that I think will look pretty slick.

#514 7 years ago

Thanks Kpg for all the tips! I'll be trying some of those out and will give a 7 degree pitch another shot.

#518 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Definitely man, just make the tweaks necessary at that pitch to make it work. I no longer have the ball hopping the rail on the left ramp/windlance area, by simply bending the end up a bit more, so it catches the ball better.

Nice, I've had that happen a few times on my game as well. Did you bend the end of the far left habit rail while it was still in the game or remove it?

#522 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

If you clean your game regularly you could use Novus 1 to clean the field and a good caranuba wax like this one @ Amazon (which I use personally):
amazon.com link »
I wouldn't even recommend Novus 2 for regular use because it is a mild abrasive but of course there are much worse cleaners you could be using. It's just not my go to choice for a game that is maintained regularly. Novus 2 is great for new to you games that are dirty and haven't been taken care of.
I think I clean my games every 100 games or so, give or take a few, depending on how the game looks.

That is the same combo I use with all of my clear coated games, works great. Novus 1, then caranuba wax.

#544 7 years ago

I thought the plunger spring was too weak also, but me and everyone else has backtracked off this idea.
You might just have a bad spring.
Check that the plunger hits the center of the ball and there are no obstructions, adjust if necessary.
A bent plunger will also cause weak plunges.
Some have reported that a little dry lube on the plunger rod helps a lot, Teflon or silicone dry spray lube, due to the fact you want it to be super weak but controllable.
The spring has to be incredibly weak to make all the skill shots.
A proper spring gently hits the a or r in dwarf depending on the playfield pitch. A super careful shot will also hit the left hole. An extremely gentle pull will hit the right outlane for big points.
Push the flipper rubbers higher on the bats to combat airballs.
The game fresh out of the box is very fast, balls go everywhere.
At about 50 plays it will settle down, this is where all the tweaks come in e.g. 7 degree pitch flippers at 25 or 26.
Check the roll overs with a ball, just let it roll down on them from just before the ramps. They should compress and be a tiny bit above the surface of the playfield to avoid clearcoat chipping. They will soften out in a few plays.
A lot of us have been sorting out the left wire-form. I have tweaked mine a lot and it works perfectly now. I do think they should re-design it to allow for faster game play. The same holds true for the right wire-form and the ramps themselves. If you raise the flipper power to 29-32 the ball will launch over the ramps and hit the backboard, and never stay on the wire-forms.
Opening the loop and bending it up on the left wireform fixes some things. Adding a post at the lower attachment screw fixes other things. Warping and adjusting or in some cases carving the wireform itself has been very effective to get it just right.
Put the shaker on high for awhile extreme is not necessary. You can oil the shaft on the shaker but I wouldn't do that, I would just let it break in for a hundred games or so and it should get better. If it gets worse JJP will send you a new one.
Setting the playfield pitch to 7 degrees seems about perfect after about 50 plays, after the game has settled down a bit.
A full plunge hits the the A or R in dwarf the kickback flows the ball up the right guide towards the pops and rolls back smoothly.
A higher pitch makes the kickback bounce off the rubber instead of going up the guide, this is fun but a little too random for me.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions! Yeah, I think my game has a bad plunger spring. I ordered a "purple" rated one off of Pinball Life for a $1 along with some Perfect Play flipper bands. I definitely need to adjust the rollovers down or maybe just need to give them more time to settle as they noticeable alter the balls movement when going over them. Good tip on raising the flipper bands, I'm hoping the Perfect Play silicone bands on ordered reduce the airballs.

The only other thing I really need to figure out at the moment is how to the ball from popping out of the far left wireform. I wonder if JJP could prevent the pop outs if they let the magnet divertor hold onto the ball longer when it shifts habit rails? I tried bending the end up a bit more but it may not be enough. One tip I read on the JJP Google group to prevent pop outs is to put a spacer under the screw of the far left habit rail to raise its height as that ends of slowing the ball down a bit.

#560 7 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

I have been keeping abreast of all "The Hobbit" threads on "Pinside" as I await delivery of my LE. Needless to say the reset issue has me concerned. I really question as to whether this is solely a software problem. If it is code-related then why wouldn't everyone who has installed Version 1.10 have the same problem? Someone mentioned their reset occurred when the ball hit a pop bumper. Couldn't the problem lie with a voltage spike? Spurious voltages have been known to affect the running of software. And maybe the condition could be enhanced by the quality of the cable connections, etc. Just questioning the obvious.

It sounds software related since it didn't occur before 1.10. I bet we see a fix with the next software release.

I know a couple owners have said that they think the reset issue has been related to inconsistent voltage to the game / its devices. I got my game last week, running 1.10 and have not had a reset. My game is plugged into an APC surge protector which is then plugged into an APC voltage regulator (as are all my games).

#561 7 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

Sammy that really sucks call your distributor and see if they can warranty or at least get wholesale on a new sheet. i get my glass polishing stuff from these guys http://www.granquartz.ca/ but its close to 600.00 by the time you get all the hand sanding pads, polishing pads , and tinoxide .

Yes, I would think JJP would warranty the glass as its their fault the tab is not down lower.

#564 7 years ago

So I've manged to eliminate 90% of pop outs from the far left habit rail. Someone else posted this either here or on the JJP Google group.

Bending the end of the far left habit rail up (the circular ball exit area) helps to elimate pop outs. I covered the metal on the rail (to prevent scratches) and then used a pair of needle nose pliers to bend the end of the rail slighlty upwards. I may try bending it a little more.

I did remove the screw on the end of the rail before I attempted to bend the bracket. On my game I also bent it up and slightly to the right as the rail seemed to lean left a little bit.

#575 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Just got off the phone w/ Frank @ JJP regarding the reset issue. He said it is software related, and that the developers may have already solved it, and are working on a patch to fix it.
Those who have not had reset issues simply have not hit the required combination of things that must start/end at the right time to cause a reset in the bumpers. It may take dozens of games, maybe a hundred or more to finally hit that criteria of things that lead to the glitch/reset- but alas, JJP is fixing it!

Thats good news that they are on it, thanks for finding out. Keith and the guys have been averaging one good sized update a month (just like WOZ initially) so we may see another software update in the middle of June. 1.10 was released on 5/12, 1.01 on 4/6.

#579 7 years ago

Installed green "Perfect Play" flipper bands and rubber posts on my game. Maybe its just me but the game seems to play even better (possibly quicker too) with the new bands. I noticed that the stock flipper bands are slightly shorter then traditional bands, not sure why JJP went with those. Also, having a Perfect Play post rubber on the post between the flippers versus the stock one seems to provide more bounce.

I also adjusted the shooter housing and the ball can now make a plunge to the lower 3 top drop targets (couldn't hit any before). As others have said a stronger plunger spring wasn't needed and a purple rated spring provided too much tension.

Some pics of my game with the new bands / post rubbers.

20160601_073137_(resized).jpg20160601_073137_(resized).jpg20160601_071313_(resized).jpg20160601_071313_(resized).jpg

#581 7 years ago

Has anyone else noticed that the magnet at the drop off for Smaug ball locks doesnt always activate? At times instead of a ball stopping at the magnet and then slowly dropping into the subway it will just go straight through.

I'm concerned that over time that this could cause wear on the playfield around the area where the ball drops into. Maybe one of the balls is magnetized?

#582 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Has anyone else noticed that the magnet at the drop off for Smaug ball locks doesnt always activate? At times instead of a ball stopping at the magnet and then slowly dropping into the subway it will just go straight through.
I'm concerned that over time that this could cause wear on the playfield around the area where the ball drops into. Maybe one of the balls is magnetized?

Just wondering if the behavior above is normal? After waxing the playfield and putting Perfect Play bands on my game I ended up dropping flipper power down to 18 for the left, right and upper right flippers. Game still plays quick but there are less air balls.

#588 7 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys, good to know its normal behavior. During the times that the ball is not held I just hope nothing gets damaged over time. I did see a half circle metal guard around the Smaug drop off hole so I assume the ball hits that and then goes into the hole.

Also, we may be due for another code update in the next week or two. Keith released the last two about a month apart (1.10 was out May 12th, 1.01 April 8th) so maybe the next release will come in the next week or the following.

#597 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I was getting some audio clipping, most notably on the Smaug lock grumbles and sighs. Played with the cabling and it made no difference. Remembered the sound clipping issue on WOZ and lowered all the audio settings. It fixed it! No more clipping. Then I decided to up the sfx and fanfare and tweak the voices and music a bit. I got it sounding much better than out of the box (IMO).

Nice, I think I've noticed some minor audio clipping as well at times. Can you please share your games audio settings?

#602 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I'll take a pic when I get home tonight.

Thanks!

#607 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

My audio settings...

Thank you! I'll try those out.

#643 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Larry, do you know what angle your pins were set at for SFGE? I had a couple friends down there this weekend and they told me the games were really slow and floaty. Only game they walked away from because of really long ball times and too boring they said.
I have a Hobbit which should be coming within the next few weeks and their REALLY negative review and a lot of the reviews on Pinside have me a little worried. From what I gather it sounds like Hobbit really needs to be set up in a certain manner and that you really need to own it and get familiar with it before in becomes a lot of fun.
Is that an accurate statement, all you current Hobbit owners?

I have my game setup at 6.8 degrees with Perfect Play flipper bands and it plays pretty darn quick. I had some friends over on Friday to play the game and watch Battle of the 5 Armies. My buddies had a blast and really enjoyed the game. I asked one of my friends who was over what he thought of the game and he said "Can I take it home" haha. Most of the negative reviews here are few and far between and are just from the same people over and over again as well as the regular anti JJP guys.

Also, if people play the game that only prefer more fast paced + points based rulesets (MET, ACDC, etc) versus quest / objective based rulesets (LOTR, WOZ, TSPP) then I can see them not liking the game. The Hobbit is a game like LOTR and WOZ where you are progressing through the games 31 main modes in attempt to get to the games multiple mini and major wizard wizards (and ultimately a super wizard mode). I prefer objective based ruletsets and I think The Hobbit will have one of the best ever created due to all of the work going into it's code. Even with code 1.2 we haven't seen anything yet. The Hobbit, like WOZ, is one of the most engaging pins I've ever played.

I did have another buddy (wasn't over at my place the other night) that told me he walked away from playing a Hobbit, thought it was slow and boring. For one it doesn't help he played it while the game was still on code .8x and two he tends to prefer super fast points focused ruletsets like the one found on MET. He thought I was crazy for selling my MET recently to help fund a Hobbit whereas for me it was a no brainer as it offers my preferred ruletset.

Finally (lol) I think completed code will change some peoples opinion that don't like the game today or played it on earlier code. Another friend of mine told me why I would buy a WOZ, he played one and thought it was boring. Well, he told me that 3 years ago when WOZ was still running fairly early code. Now when he comes over to my place to play pinball he can't stop playing WOZ, and already enjoys The Hobbit, haha.

#698 7 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Yep, that is the common ball trap. JJP is working on a solution. Main do-it-yourself fixes are as follows:
1) Bend end loop up to help direct ball downwards and through the loop. (improvement but not 100% fix)
2) Put a spacer under the mounting bracket at the end of the rail to lift the rail up and slow the ball down. (Edit: 100% fix and reversible)
3) File last two cross bars on rail so ball doesn't hit them on its way down the rail. (100% fix but irreversible)

Good tips. I did 1 and 2 and its worked like a charm. I removed the lower screw from the far left habit rail and bent it upwards. I then put two plastic washers that are used between leg bolts and powder coated legs. No more issues.

#755 7 years ago

Played my first game on 1.21 this morning. Just wow! This game keeps getting better and better. I got "Into the Fire" and its such a cool mode. Hats off to Keith and the crew for another great update, thank you!

I wonder how unlocking the other two movie multiballs, "Barrel Escape" and "Battle of the Five Armies", will work? Will players have to start Smaug multiball again, super spinner, Beast Frenzy, etc? I'm hoping that some of the requirements are changed up for those two.

#757 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Yes I'm pretty sure you will. Only need to complete 1 mode and enter the other 4 modes so doesnt seem too bad.
I real question is if you don't complete into the fire will you get to play the other 2 or is it mandatory that you finish.

I'll guess you get to play the next one even without completing it. It would be nice to have an option to select which of the 3 movie multiballs you want to play / replay as they are unlocked.

For the games final wizard mode I'm sure everything will need to be completed.

#807 7 years ago

For a delta update, like 1.21, I would try to extract / unzip the update file directly to the root of your formatted thumb drive. I had issues with not being able to update if I unzipped / extracted the file to my PC and then copied it to my thumb drive.

#831 7 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I love the game, truly do....but, I am finding it draining balls on the cheap way too much. The roll overs and the lids to the pop ups change the direction of the ball significantly, and for my game, drains down the middle way too many times. I'm set up at 6.7, wondering if I should go to 7.

I noticed that the stock center post rubber doesn't provide much bounce. I recommend trying Perfect Play post rubbers as they provide much more bounce.

#833 7 years ago

Pinballlife.com sells them. I got Perfect Plays flipper bands and post rubbers from them. My LE seems to play a bit quicker now.

3 weeks later
#1125 7 years ago

I'm thinking we may be seeing another code update soon. Keith has released the past 3 updates about a month apart and its now been just over 4 weeks since 1.21 was released. JJP is doing a live stream of the game this Saturday with Buffalo Pinball so I wouldn't be surprised if we see the game running on newer code.

#1164 7 years ago

Awesome! Can't wait. JJP has been doing an incredible job with code support for this game and that alone is a big reason why I went forward with purchasing the game.

#1217 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

Wow nice find! Well this sure gets very interesting. If Jack is right about code being close to 100% done by next month, then I guess we will find out soon enough. I think it is very safe to say that it is one of the deeper games in pinball history as all Keith Johnson games usually are.

Absolutely. I'm thinking that the next update after this one will come with the last of the movie multiballs, Battle of the Five Armies, and then the one after that the final final wizard mode for completing all 31 main scene modes.

I still hope that there is some type of award / incentive added for completing the 31 scene modes. To play an Arkenstone mode you have to beat only one mode so 3 total for all of them. That leaves 28 other modes that only need to be completed then for the games final wizard mode? I hope that isn't the case.

Personally I would like to see some type of award system added for completing modes (thinking "Gift of the Elves") as well as maybe a multiball / mini wizard mode unlocked when a set number of them are completed. For example if you complete 6 modes you unlock something, 12, 24, etc.

#1251 7 years ago

Update on the fix kit. Frank from JJP called me back and said that an announcement about the kit should be made in the next few days. The kit comes with the beast mech fix, springs for drops, and a post for the far left habit rail. The kit will be available to request from the JJP support site.

#1263 7 years ago

Seems like 1.3x is taking a little bit longer then expected to come out. I wouldn't be surprised if some additional tweaks / fixes are in the public release code compared to the beta code that is out there.

#1297 7 years ago
Quoted from EricPinball:

Installed and now playtime

Congrats! TH and WOZ look great together, two incredible pins side by side.

1 week later
#1502 7 years ago

To prevent the ramp flaps from curling up could you wax the area of the playfield just in front of the ramp and apply mylar with half of the strip being on the ramp flap to hold it down?

3 weeks later
#1809 7 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

news for future update ?

The JJP open house is on Saturday, September 17th. I bet we will see a new update closer to that date or shortly thereafter.

2 weeks later
#1981 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

1.35p firmware to be shown at open house tomorrow

Awesome, looking forward to seeing what is in the next update!

1 week later
#2060 7 years ago

Has anyone had to remove one of the beast mechs on their game before? One of the beast molds on the mech itself came lose and I need to tighten down the screws again holding it on. From what I can tell the entire mech will need to come off...

#2066 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Take the top flap off first by lifting the springs and removing the clips. Flap lifts right off. Playfield up, remove 5 or so screws and the mech slides right out. Very easy.
Oh, disconnect wires. They are all fitted with connectors.

Thank you! I'll try that.

2 weeks later
#2184 7 years ago

Anyone think we will see new Hobbit code at Expo?

Its been about 2 months since the last Hobbit update. I think Keith is either going to release a larger update for Expo or has been shifted to getting Pats game ready for Expo.

#2203 7 years ago

Final Hobbit code released tonight?! Jack just said it at Expo

#2205 7 years ago

Well, here's one thing that is surprising. There's a new Hobbit SE called the "Black Arrow" SE. Yeah it has different cabinet artwork and armor (kinda like WOZ 75th) but the big change may be with hardware. Pat Lawlor showed a Hobbit cabinet that is using the new JJP platform. The new platform houses all hardware in the backbox, the display swings out and there's upgraded speakers. I'm thinking the new Hobbit "Black Arrow" SE will have all of the new hardware in it...

#2210 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Spec pages says nothing about it having the new platform. From what is in the base of the existing hobbits I wouldn't have though it would all fit in the head. I'd hazard a guess and say it doesn't seeing that the dialed in sheet says it specifically.

Ah ok, yup. I see that now too.

Quoted from koops:

My ramp kit is on order. yay!
I've noticed that the downloads page and support has disappeared off the jjp web site.

Seems like the regular site went down last night and that it is now doing a redirect. Hopefully its back up soon along with the latest Hobbit code update.

#2212 7 years ago

JJP website is still showing 1.31 as the latest update on their site. Hopefully the new code gets posted soon.

#2216 7 years ago

According to Jack the latest Hobbit code should be released tonight. If this is the final code (well, bug fixes + additions later on as Jack said last night) I guess that means Battle of the Five Armies and the games main wizard mode will be in this release.

#2223 7 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I photographed the steps to add the Cliffy protectors and mylar on the two holes and the trough if you need for reference:
http://purcellvillepinball.com/HobbitLE2016.html#Cliffy
Michael

Great job! Thank you very much for putting that together. I still need to order the Cliffy set and will do so soon.

#2232 7 years ago

Played a few games on 1.9 and wow does this game just keep getting better and better. The bonus system really helps with giving players a rewarding feeling for completing modes. I may have noticed a few more callouts too. I didn't get close to playing Battle of the Five Armies but I did reach Into the Fire again (such a cool mode).

I hope we get more callouts added to the game, I heard from others that David Thiel said 120 Smaug callouts are supposed to be in the game. With Smaug being the main toy in the game he only really talks during Smaug multiball and at the end of the game. It would be great to hear Smaug in some of the book modes (there's a few that relate directly to him). Also, a Riddle or Burgler multiball would be great with lines from Bilbo and Smaug when they first meet (some of the best scenes in the trilogy).

3 weeks later
#2381 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Maybe I'm jumping the gun since it hasn't even been a week...but now that I've had a ton of play on the game and have gotten a hang of it and the rules - I really have to say, I LOVE this game! The presentation, choreography, rules, gameplay and sound is really fantastic...and the music is just delicious. I bought it on a whim, mostly out of the curiosity of wanting to have a JJP pin to jam on at home...figured I'd play it for a few months and then move on - but I'm already feeling like this is a keeper for me - which is surprising considering I wasn't a fan of the layout or toys....but once you play it and really get to know it - man, Keith really did it again, just like LOTR...and used every nook and cranny of this playfield in clever and fun ways...he's made a deceptively 'whatever' playfield just pop with life and fun.

It's definitely more rare, and it has a cool attract animation that's only on the Smaug Edition. I just had a choice between the two, and I went with Smaug as he was my favorite part of the trilogy. Others have told me they like the LE more. At the moment they seem about equal in value.

Congrats on the new pin addition, glad to hear you are liking the game!

Keith sure knows how to work a playfield in interesting and unique ways. There's some good pinball programmers out there but I think Keith pulls off story based rulesets that make you feel like you are on a quest the best.

I would still expect another update (or a few) that will complete / polish Battle of the Five Armies and add a final super wizard mode.

1 week later
#2434 7 years ago

Heads up, looks like another code update is coming soon, possibly next week. Code update is mainly for adding Pindemption to TH but it's also supposed to contain bug fixes and some other minor things.

Here's my wish list for things I would like to see added to the game with future updates

1. Super wizard mode for completing everything (rumored to be coming, Keith also mentioned it long ago)
2. More Smaug callouts and use of the Smaug toy in book modes, also fire lighting affect on playfield when he breathes fire
3. Award for completing the sets of man, elf, and dwarf book modes. Example, completing all man book modes awards say a multiplier, multiball, points, etc.
4. Some type of status screen that shows total game progress similar to the ones in WOZ.

1 month later
#2700 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

This, I feel exactly the same, never thought I would say this but the option to have 'less' going on would enrich the experience.

I agree, I would like to see Beast Multiball and Feast Mulitball fleshed out a bit more and then only be playable by themselves. Smaug MB could then be played as its own mode.

1 week later
#2764 7 years ago
Quoted from Squall:

Yesterday I killed Smaug and get all wizard modes. Do you have any idea what is after finishing all modes? What is after completing on 100% all wizard modes? Cause I'm worried little bit about lastability of Hobbit (I hope it won't be too boring)

Wow, awesome score! Just curious, is your game set to 3 ball and did you add extra balls to be granted with certain actions. Asking as I haven't beat Smaug MB and have only gotten to 1 of the wizard modes. I could just suck too, lol.

I did hear that a super wizard mode for beating everything is still coming. However, I think The Hobbit greatly needs some type of mode rewarded for beating the sets of man, dwarf and elf book modes.

#2767 7 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

any ideas when new code is coming out? Rumor has it, its finished!

Finished with the next update? I kept hearing rumors about two more updates. Its been a couple months since the last update so hopefully soon.

Hoping for...

1. Wizard mode for beating everything
2. Mode / reward for beating the sets of the man, elf and dwarf book modes
3. More Smaug callouts
4. Ability to turn off Beast, Feast and Smaug multiball stacking

1 week later
#2824 7 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Thank you. Other than the topper I don't see any super expensive mods. Maybe I can send the coin door out for some plating?
About how often is code being updated? When was the last update and when is the next expected? Is there anything major that would benefit from new code.

Seems like a super wizard mode will be added for completing everything at some point. It's been a couple months since the last official code update but before that code updates were being released on a near monthly basis.

I'm hoping another update is released soon. I think the game would benefit greatly with rewards (multiball, other mode, points) for beating the sets of man, elf, and dwarf modes.

I'm also hoping that Beast and Feast multiball have more rules added to them and that stacking can be turned off while they are activated.

There is a lot to do in the game today (30 book modes, 3 multi balls, any book mode can be a multiball, 3 multiball wizard modes) but a couple more updates would really help the game.

#2832 7 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I love this game but.....I wish that Keith would program a different "avenue" to each of the main 3 arkenstone modes, instead of rinse and repeat to get to each one. The 32 modes are all different and offer all kinds of different shots to complete each one. Keith is masterful at coding and he didn't disappoint on creating so many different modes. But qualifying for an arkenstone mode needs something.....different. Besides a lot of the suggestions others have offered, at the very least would like to see the arkenstone modes stay lit after having played it.

Agree, qualifying for the next Arkenstone mode should be somewhat different. Heck, having to beat say 6 modes to get Barrel Escape and 12 for Battle of the Five Armies would mix things up nicely versus having to start Smaug MB, Beast MB, and Feast MB a 2nd and then 3rd time.

Hobbit code is great but it definitely needs a few more updates to help tie everything together and expand on some things a bit.

1 week later
#2874 7 years ago

Anyone hear anything about when the next code update will be officially released? The last official release was over 3 months ago and the last news from Keith about a code update on Thanksgiving.

Hope we get another update soon. I wonder if JJP is just waiting until an upcoming show to release code?

#2886 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Thanks. Do you or anyone else know when 1.94 is due out? Its on my game and came with it when i got it from previous owner.

I hope the long wait, by JJP standards (lol), means that a larger update is coming for The Hobbit. The game is good but definitely needs a few more substantial code updates.

1 week later
#2923 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I think you spell a particular race (like man, elf, dwarf)

Yup, hitting the sets of drop targets light either man, elf or dwarf modes.

#2933 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Just joined the club!!! Well not officially but waiting on shipping. Just curious if the code is complete or will there be more updates in the future

There will be more. Keith posted on the JJP Google Group recently that another update is coming. I've also heard rumors that a super wizard mode for completing everything will eventually be in the game (I hope!). The Hobbit could certainly use a few more big updates.

#2940 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeffreyjonesbsme:

I was told the earlier versions have issues...things breaking.
I was also told and it's mentioned here that the Black Arrow may have those bugs worked out.

It's not things breaking. Here are the fixes that JJP has released for early games. Other then that everything is the same between early games and the ones being made today.

1. Beast mech fix: 3D printed inserts in front of beast mech to prevent balls getting stuck.

2. Drop target fix: More durable springs from the games 11 drop targets.

3. Left rail fix: Post that stops ball from falling off left rail

4. Ramp flap fix: blue steel ramps flaps that do not curl

All of the fixes above are offered free by JJP. The beast mech fix is a bit of a pain to install but doable. The ramp flap fix is more difficult but JJP will do it for you if you ship them your ramp.

I've had my Hobbit LE for about 8 months and it's a very solidly built game.

You can check if a Hobbit has the latest ramp flaps if they have a blue tone to them and the beast mech fix just activating one in test / playing and ensuring the plastic inserts are there. Seems like all games that have the beast mech inserts have the upgraded drop target springs. However, some Hobbits did ship with the upgraded drop target springs and beast mech inserts but not with the upgraded ramp flaps.

4 weeks later
#3063 7 years ago

Heads up fellow Hobbit owners. There's now a thread on the JJP Google Group named "Your Hobbit code wishlist". Please share your thoughts and ideas for future code updates. Here's hoping that there's a few more big updates still in the works for The Hobbit.

#3065 7 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

beginning to think they forgot about us, starting to feel like a Stern Kiss owner!

Oh no, nothing near that yet, lol. Keith did recently post some info about the next code update on the JJP Google Group.

When Jack said at Expo that the final Hobbit code would be released soon I had a bad feeling. There has been updates, some of which are betas, since Expo but there hasn't a been another huge substantial update. I hope a few more big code updates are in the works. JJP's code support has been stellar so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that more updates will be coming for TH.

#3071 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Correct me if I am wrong but anyone can put a post up on JJP's site. The post you're referring too is no different than if I were to put the same post up on here. In short, it doesn't mean there are any planned updates or that JJP is looking for input, albeit nice if it turns out to be the case!

The point of the post is for owners to share ideas in hope that someone at JJP may take notice and implement some of them or expand on the game more.

2 weeks later
#3151 7 years ago

Does anyone else notice small airballs coming off of the beast mechs and the standup targets behind the drops? I wonder if a steeper angle such as 7-7.5 degrees would reduce airballs off of those areas? I do have Perfect Play bands on my game so I'm not sure if that is increasing airballs as well. The Hobbit itself shipped with flipper bands that are not as wide compared to traditional flipper bands.

2 weeks later
#3236 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

it goes inline between the audio jack on the motherboard and the cable that plugs into the motherboard.

Thanks. Green connector end correct? I know that is typically the color cable that plugs into line in.

2 weeks later
#3348 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'm still loving mine, but it REALLY needs a final wizard mode. Any word on an update coming?

It's been over 6 months since the last official code update. There have been a couple beta updates between then and now but still not another official code update. It's disappointing. The game is fun but I thought it would be much further along by now. I'm sure more is coming but the wait sucks. There's no doubt that JJP has all hands on deck for Dialed In right now. I refuse to even consider a Dialed In until the code for The Hobbit is complete. When Jack said at Expo 2016 that the final code for the Hobbit would be released that night I had a bad feeling that the games code was being brushed aside for Dialed In...

However, I don't doubt that Keith will get back to The Hobbit. I hope the longer then usual wait is due to a larger update being in the works.

#3358 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I just heard back. Didn't get much, but he said Hobbit code coming in "near future". Also said jjp#4 coming soon. I expressed my hopes of final wizard mode and more call outs. They just said hopefully the update meets expectations, but not saying what's in it yet. Anyway, sounds like at least hope of it soon.

Great to hear. I emailed Jack as well and have posted my concerns over on the JJP Google Group.

#3363 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I replaced my ramp flaps last night. Wouldn't say it's an easy process, but not too bad. Helps to have a rivet clinching tool, which I have. Jjp provides step by step instructions, follow them and you'll be fine. Requires removal of both side wireforms and unplugging a few connectors. The optos on the ramps can be a little fiddly getting back on as the plastic mounts tend to bend. Also have to be a little careful with the rgb light connector by the drop near smaug, it's pretty small and a little tedious to unplug. Took me about 2 hrs, but I could do it in half the time if I had to do it again.
Before and after pics.

Nice! I need to do the same fix, last of the updates I need to do. I have the ramp flaps update kit but have been considering sending the ramp to JJP as they said they would do the fix for free (still need to pay shipping though to get it there).

Is there a certain type / brand of tool you would recommend for the fix?

1 week later
#3382 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, 30-something modes....there's nothing to do lol.

Yeah, there's a ton of modes but there needs to be more rewarding reasons for completing them.

Right now there are 31 book modes in the game but only 3 need to be completed to unlock an Arkenstone mode. What about the other 28 book modes? The book modes are awesome, a lot of work went into them, but there needs to be more incentive to play through them. A reward for beating the sets of man, elf and dwarf modes and / or for beating say 5, 10, 15, 20 etc modes would be great to see. The lack of something along those lines is biggest issue I have with the game today. 

Also, it would be nice if Beast Frenzy and Feast Frenzy are expanded upon to make them beatable with an option to turn off stacking with Smaug MB so that Smaug MB can be enjoyed on its own.

Oh, the qualifications for reaching an Arkenstone mode are all the same so you have to do the same 4 tasks 3 times to unlock the 3 wizard modes which makes the game feel like a bit of a grind. It would be great to see the qualifications for the 2nd and 3rd Arkenstone modes altered slightly to mix things up. 

Finally, a super wizard mode for beating everything would give the game its own "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" equivalent goal. 

1 week later
#3422 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Kaneda's Pinball Podcast just did an interview with Jack. He said that there would be more code coming for The Hobbit.

Yes!

#3426 6 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I just listened to the podcast. I think the code will come and feel loads better just hearing Jack talk about it. Go JJP!

That's great to hear, I still need to listen to it.

1 week later
#3455 6 years ago

Yes! Fingers crossed that The latest Hobbit code is beyond what is in 1.95P.

#3459 6 years ago

It's awesome that Keith commented on code status over at the JJP Google Group. It sounds like 2.0 will really polish up the game and that there are plans (as time permits) to add a final mode and add some things to existing modes. That's great to hear.

#3467 6 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Wow, did the lead programmer just tell us bug fixes are coming, but no drastic changes are planned and if you don't like TH buy something else? Much respect. Ballsy, but gotta respect his mic drop.

The game really doesn't need more modes (other then final mode which Keith has plans for), it already has more modes then any other pin. It's bringing everything together better that needs to be addressed and it sounds like that is happening with 2.0 and moving forward.

#3472 6 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

It the screens for every mode told you what to do, then I think this game will be really good.

The mini book LCD provides the player directions for what shot needs to be hit next for every mode and time remaining to complete the mode. Hitting the left ramp while a book mode is running will add time to it. During normal play hitting the left ramp changes the book mode that will be played next.

I'm hoping that there will be some new Gandalf voice actor callouts in 2.0.

When Keith said "When 2.0 is released it will have full choreography for all current rules features" that may very well include more callouts.

#3479 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The beta had this fixed...

Yup! Plus from Keith ""When 2.0 is released it will have full choreography for all current rules features""

1 week later
#3491 6 years ago

Today could very well be 2.0 day

#3498 6 years ago

Great to hear! Amazing code support from JJP.

#3503 6 years ago

Will be updating tonight! Looks like a lot of good changes and polish since 1.95P.

#3524 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

How awesome is it that the coder for the hobbit Is willing to come on pinside, on his own, time, to answer questions. This is truly extraordinary and I think I speak for a lot of people when I say, THANK YOU Keith. I just loaded the new code and will play it a bit tonight. At least one unnamed manufacturer could learn a few things from this. This is one reason why I own a hobbit, WOZ and have a deposit down on DI.

Well said! Same here. The openness from JJP and amazing code support are two reasons why I own a WOZ and Hobbit...and eventually a Dialed In! At some point I'm going to run out of space and pinball funds for JJP games lol

#3544 6 years ago
Quoted from tk-the-jammer:

The invisiglass was definitely on. Alot of the modes are just given to you from the ball bouncing around. Still I think it's impressive. You would have to have low esteem to not believe what somebody posts. The owner was simply stating that when you do complete all the modes there's no final anything no completion of code just sadness.

Well, to be fair there are settings that can alter how difficult / easy the game plays. Owners can set the game up to award extra balls at certain scores, set game to 5 ball, make other settings easier, etc. That's cool those settings exist as owners can set the game up the way they want.

If someone has completed all of the Hobbit modes on default 3 ball settings that is damn impressive.

#3549 6 years ago

Do the mode hexigons only stay lit for completed modes or even if they are just attempted?

#3550 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Did it on 3 ball 2x actually but only took picture second time i did it and the glass was on and 7.2 angle with factory outlanes...sold game because of the long ball times and how easy game was. i made it through the entire game on day 2 of owning unfortunately on 1.9 code.
Did the 2.0 code add anything gameplay wise? Ive only read it added callouts, choreography on modes, and abstract lights.

The latest update adds a lot of polish to the game, including the items you mentioned. Besides a final mode I don't think TH needs more modes as the game already has more modes then any other pin.

Keith did say he has plans for a final mode. I hope the requirements for it are to complete, not just attempt, all modes and complete all multiballs. That would be one of hell of a difficult wizard mode to reach like Valinor and Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

#3570 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Stay lit for attempted.

That's good to know. So even though a players grid may be complete it doesn't mean that they beat all 31 modes.

Theres a big difference between attempted vs completed modes when it comes to beating the Hobbit.

It would be cool if Keith could have a gold band or some type of marker on mode hexigons that are completed. Then have a count listed on the grid screen for attempted modes and completed modes.

#3588 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

It's been in there for a few patches - not a bad effect. Also, I think it would be good to have smaug say clips from the movie while he is doing that. (especially after the 1:40 mark)
» YouTube video
good stuff here too....
» YouTube video (though he used some already - needs more )

The Bilbo and Smaug scene is one of the best in the entire trilogy. I'm surprised a mode featuring this scene is not in the game. The scene has a lot of dialogue from Smaug that could be used with the Smaug toy. Maybe it could be incorporated into a final wizard mode?

#3590 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Maybe a mystery mode? Basically he talks to you and then you have to make a shot, then he talks some more, then you have to hit a shot...something like that...?
Or instead of a mystery mode - it will 'unlock' a mode when you complete all the Bilbo modes. NO telling how far down he could go with the base JJP has gone. I am still trying to get the mode bonuses based on completed modes. Awesome stuff!

That sounds like a cool idea. It would be nice to have that scene represented somewhere in the game as its pretty much the main Smaug scene in the trilogy. Seeing the Smaug toy move to the lines from the scene would be awesome.

One of my favorite new things in 2.0 is the "there's something about you line" from Smaug at the end of the game. Very cool! It would be great to see more Smaug dialogue added to the game and synced with the main toy.

1 month later
#3730 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No.

See picture.

For the washer fix does each beast mech need 1 washer? Also is it being installed under the top left screw when looking at the underside of the playfield?

Thank you

3 weeks later
#3774 6 years ago

I'm hoping that we see another code update by or at expo with a super wizard mode!

#3777 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

My Goblin head after a number of plays will slowly be moved to the side to the point where it impedes the ability of the mech to go up and down. I have to take the glass off and physically push the head to the right. I guess it is a little loose. My question (and afraid of the answer) is to tighten the head, do I need to remove the entire mech?

Likely yes. I had the same issue and many of the screws for the beast heads were losse. I posted a guide in this thread or The Hobbit tweak thread on how to fix the issue.

1 week later
#3815 6 years ago
Quoted from TouchingEvil:

Do we get back and there again that complete the code ?

I'm hoping that another code update will be dropped around or at Expo. The "There and Back Again" folder in the 2.0 update folder structure did not exist in the previous code updates, including beta's, so I hope that is tied to the games rumored super wizard mode.

2 weeks later
#3873 6 years ago

Great discussion guys about the rules, learned some good tips! Thanks.

Here's hoping that we see another code update drop around Expo.

2 weeks later
#3916 6 years ago

Well, POTC looks incredible. I want to buy one but cannot go through with an order with the current state that Hobbit code is in. JJP is promising a super wizard mode for POTC but us Hobbit owners have been waiting 1 year + for its promised super wizard mode.

Has anyone heard anything out of Expo about Hobbit code?

2 weeks later
#4003 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Yeah - really looking forward to the final wizard mode they promised. Will make a world of difference.

For sure and the champion items that Keith mentioned that I hope relate to beating X number / sets of modes.

#4004 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Where did you see that they promised a Wizard mode?

Keith made a post a while a while back here outlining the games features and rules. One of the items mentioned is a super wizard mode. Also, Keith mentioned on the JJP Google Group back in June that he has plans for a final mode.

In the latest 2.0 code folder structure there's a subfolder named "There and Back Again". I think this may correspond to the games rumored final mode as the same folder doesn't exist in any of the previous releases, including beta releases.

#4014 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Are you sure? "pinball_keefer" never posted anything about a super wizard mode in this thread.
I also didn't see any statement from Keith on the JJP group either. Plenty of owners mentioning a super wizard mode, but nothing directly from Keith. It's not hard to filter "Keith P. Johnson wrote" on the JJP group.
Maybe I'm missing it, but I can't find anything.

Here's the post that Keith made from around a year ago. I'm not sure if the 3 mini wizard modes are in reference to Super Spinner, Beast and Feast Frenzy (will guess yes), but the 3 major wizard modes are the Arkenstone modes. The "1 super wizard mode" is what we are anticipating being put into the game.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2015-hobbit-update-thread/page/37

hobbit (resized).JPGhobbit (resized).JPG

#4015 6 years ago

Duplicate, please delete

1 month later
#4102 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I created a couple of diagrams that compares the basic game progression of the Hobbit to LOTR. The Hobbit has a ton of stuff in it but I think the charts show what makes LOTR a masterpiece and the Hobbit look like unfulfilled potential.
You can see that LOTR requires you to "beat" at least 8 game stages to reach Valinor. You can also see that almost every stage advances the game in some way. The exception being There and Back Again.
The Hobbit only requires you to beat 1 mode to get to a Rune wizard mode. You can also see that each stage only advances towards a Rune mode. Once that Rune mode is played, it's rinse and repeat to get to the next one. The only reason to beat anything (other than one mode per cycle) is to get points.

Very cool diagrams, nice job! I hear ya about The Hobbit having unfulfilled potential. To be fair The Hobbit diagram could be 3x as large as all objectives need to be completed to reach the 3 Arkenstone modes.

The main issues I see with The Hobbits ruleset are...

1. Having to repeat all the same qualifiers for each Arkenstone mode.
A. It would be nice to see a twist on each of the qualifiers for the second and third Arkenstone mode attempts. Another idea would be to require X number of modes to be beat for the second and third Arkenstone modes. Reach the first Arkenstone mode? Great. Now you have to beat 10x modes for the second, and 20x for the third. That would help make completing modes feel more rewarding. Would be nice as an adjustable setting in the menu ("Modes required for Arkenstone 1", "Modes Required Completed for Arkenstone 2", "Modes Required to be Completed for Arkenstone 3")

2. Completing sets of the man, elf, and dwarf modes as well as well as counts (5, 10, 15, etc) doesn't offer any reward
A. A gift of the elves types reward system would solve this. The game has 30+ book modes yet only 1 needs to be completed for each Arkenstone mode and that's it?

3. Lack of a final wizard mode
A. We know this is coming per Keiths comments

As it stands today The Hobbit feels like a great game that isn't complete yet could still be a masterpiece once it is.

#4141 6 years ago
Quoted from Ozzy:

Thinking of purchasing a hobbit le smaug gold edition. Can you call give me thoughts on a price of.such a beast?. Dont have any jjp in collection and thought I would give it a try. Thanks everyone

For an HUO game I think you are looking at anywhere from $6500-$7200 right now, condition and location will affect price. It does seem like the value for The Hobbit is slowly starting to creep up a bit.

The game is just awesome and I think the price will continue to rise as more people see what it has to offer and more code updates are released.

2 months later
#4348 6 years ago

Well, I finally got around to doing the ramp flap upgrade which I've been dreading since I got the update kit last year, lol. Thanks to the suggestions on here and the instructions provided by JJP it wasn't too terrible of a fix.

I used a 1/8" Hanson rivet clincher tool for the new rivets. I could have sent the ramp into JJP for free for them to do the fix but the shipping cost would have likely covered the cost of the tool...hey it was a good excuse to buy another tool!

https://www.amazon.com/Hanson-Rivet-HT-174-RIVET-CLINCHER/dp/B00ZDUSRE8/ref=sr_1_2

Couple suggestions in addition to those by JJP. Be extra careful removing the 8 opto sensors on the ramps as the little plastic tabs holding them onto the ramp can be easily broken if you use too much force. Also, when removing the entire ramp I would recommend loosening the nut for the gold pile in front of Smaug and setting the mold to the side as otherwise, at least on my game, the left ramp was stuck underneath it a bit. Overall just take your time, keep track of the parts and it won't seem too bad.

20180305_202404 (resized).jpg20180305_202404 (resized).jpg
20180305_200557 (resized).jpg20180305_200557 (resized).jpg
20180305_223756 (resized).jpg20180305_223756 (resized).jpg

#4350 6 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

What is the ramp flap upgrade?

Hobbits made during the first 1-3 months (maybe longer) of production had ramp flaps made of a different steel (top pic in my post) that are prone to curling. The flaps in the kit are spring steel (bottom pic), don't curl and are now included on all of the latest games.

#4354 6 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Sooo I’ve ended up grabbing a hobbit and I'm actually enjoying it more than I thought I would! I knew it'd be immersive but I'm actually enjoying it more knowing it's more than just multi ball after multi ball after multi ball... I always thought that the left ramp started a mode and that the ring button was useless and did nothing... now I know some strategies and have a half a clue what to do. Thanks to the papa notes and Carl’s videos. But f me seriously with all those modes and feeder modes and other bs I'm going to have to go to college to know wtf is going on. Keith code is too deep!

The College of JJP will solve all of your code understanding needs. Professor Johnson is amazing!

code (resized).JPGcode (resized).JPG

#4363 6 years ago

Finished adding some mods and completed the ramp flap upgrade on my Hobbit this week. I added the Lermods back panel gold lightning, florescent green plastic protectors for lower plastics, and the laser engraved ring button plate with gold colored ring button. I added some green Perfect Play flipper bands and post rubbers when I got the game.

The metal ring button plate isn't cheap but looks very nice. It would be sweet to get something similar to replace the green sticker between the speakers.

20180308_230340 (resized).jpg20180308_230340 (resized).jpg

#4367 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Looks fantastic. Congratulations. How do you like the Lermods lighting? I'm seriously considering it. Think your gold looks incredible.
Also where did you get the green plastic protectors? Thanks!
Great job!

Thanks! I really dig the Lermods lighting, the gold blends in very well with the gold piles around Smaug.

Here's the link to the sling and return lane protectors.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1012-ulekstore/00081-slingshot-return-lane-protector-set-for-jjp-s-the-hobbit

#4375 6 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

How long did that ramp flap upgrade take you? I am still living with old flaps and have loosened the ramp and bent them back down once already. I dread taking that ramp assembly off to put on the new flaps.

Probably 2-3 hours and I really took my time. My old ramp flaps were curling up badly and it started to affect gameplay. The instructions provided by JJP are pretty good and overall I found it more then worth it to swap out the flaps as the game now plays smoother.

#4388 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Me finally watching the trilogy this past week after owning the machine for a year.

Lol. Did you watch the extended editions by chance?

#4409 6 years ago

Great news that Ted is working on Hobbit code! If some of the code concerns that many of us our in consensus on get addressed the Hobbit will be a masterpiece.

#4411 6 years ago

Remember it took until version 5.0 for The Wizard of Oz to even come close to being polished.
Prior to that it was pretty sketchy.
Now it code version 6.0 The Wizard of Oz is really a good game.
I imagine if The Hobbit gets up to version 5.0 the game will be truly amazing.

Yeah, it's just taking The Hobbit far longer to get to that point...hopefully it happens sooner rather then later.

#4418 6 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve the game for 2 weeks now and I definitely like it a lot. But I did get to all wizard modes AND into the fire twice the other day. I also killed Smaug in the same game. So I essentially “beat” the game. Damn. Two weeks and I beat it?
So I just want to go for a higher score. Ok cool. I will. But to qualify the next wizard mode is the same exact process. The game is very linear at the moment. I hope they do change this and also incorporate all the cool modes better. The modes in this game are so great, but you only need one, so why play more? I really hope there is a final wizard mode that requires you to play ALL the modes and maybe beat X amount of them.
All in all it’s an amazing game and I do like it a lot. The code could just use some polish. Hers a pic of that game on factory settings.

Amazing score! I would say to technically beat The Hobbit today you would need to complete all 31 book modes and all 3 Arkenstone modes so there's still more to shoot for

There's a folder in the last update called "There and Back Again" that wasn't in the previous code updates. I'll guess There and Back Again is the super wizard mode that is coming. I wouldn't be surprised if the number if modes completed and scores in them influences scoring in the super wizard mode.

1 week later
#4446 6 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I agree with having different ways to get to the wizard modes. The game does have a linear feel to it that could be improved. I also would like to see more usage of the Smaug toy

Agree as well. I think an "easy" way to solve this would be to require 3 modes to be completed for each wizard mode as one of the 5 required Arkenstone mode qualifiers. For example for Into the Fire require 3 Man modes to be completed, Barrel Escape 3 Elf modes, and for Battle of the Five Armies 3 Dwarf modes.

Something such as above would allow players to go after a particular Arkenstone mode as well make it worthwhile to complete more then just 1 mode. Having this at least as an option in the games menu would be nice.

#4448 6 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

As a previous Hobbit owner, I don't think this is a good idea. While I would play a lot of modes, I never completed many modes. If I had to complete 3 modes for each wizard mode I would rarely reach any wizard mode.

Yeah I hear ya there, that is why I think it would be best to have it just as a setting. Also having the option to select how many modes need to be completed to reach an Arkenstone mode would be nice as well.

1 week later
#4489 6 years ago

So a thread on JJP's Google Group about Hobbit code update concerns has been locked, this is the first locked thread I've ever seen on the JJP Google Group. It didn't seem like anyone was being insulting and that 99% of posts in it were providing constructive criticism. A lot of posts thanked JJP before providing any feedback. Just very surprised to see it locked.

It's likely JJP locked the thread as they have replied multiple times in it saying that code for the game is not forgotten and that it won't receive a lot of time on its code until after POTC is released. Still, it always felt like a thread where owners could discuss code ideas together which was nice.

#4491 6 years ago

Have to have access of the Google Group to see it. I'm sure JJP was just tired of reading some of the same comments after they said that the code is not forgotten and that more is coming. Now they need to deliver. Still, I personally think the thread should have remained opened.

2 weeks later
#4564 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I finally did it...Purchased a NIB Hobbit Black Arrow (mfg 03/2018) and LOVE IT; what a great game! This is my first time viewing this thread, with over 4K posts its gonna take me awhile to catch up.

Congrats on the new game and welcome to the club! There's a lot of good info in this thread about the game.

Quoted from Goronic:

I had two friends over to play pinball for the first time in over 20 years. We had a blast and played Hobbit and drank bourbon from 9 PM to 2 AM. They absolutely were blown away with the way pinball looks and plays today. Amazing lights, sounds, and music...they were both in their early fifties and were smiling and laughing like kids.
It took a few games to get the rules down, and then they couldn't get enough!

That's awesome, sounds like a fun night!

#4572 5 years ago

Here's the quote from Keith about the upcoming Hobbit update from the last JJP livestream Sounds like great news and that it should be a substantial update.

"There's a Hobbit update in the works, its been worked on by Ted a lot the last couple months. After pirates is done we will finish up everything else we are going to finish up on it and roll it out with the latest operating system."

#4575 5 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Latest operating system?

Could be just OS version number, maybe an update to the OS or to the platform in general.

We might have to wait a bit longer I think.

The wait sounds like it will be worth considering Ted Estes, one of the best pinball programmers, has been working on it a lot for the last couple months. Factor his work in plus what is to come from Keith, Joe, etc and it should be one hell of a code update I hope.

#4577 5 years ago

Just heard this from Jacks Flip Expo 2018 interview with Pinball News

"The Hobbit is getting another big software update, we've been working on that. It's a commitment to making the best products we can make"

#4606 5 years ago

I love the variety of modes in Hobbit and the multiple stages of Smaug MB and the 3 Arkenstone modes. However, the rinse and repeat tasks as others mentioned for each Arkenstone attempt seems like a grind and after a while gets old.

Also, there's currently no incentive or noticeable reward for completing multiple modes, only 1 needs to be completed for each Arkenstone mode attempt. For a game that has more mores then any in production pin this doesn't make sense. I would like to at least have the option to select how many modes need to be completed for each Arkenstone attempt. A reward system for beating sets of modes (example, man, elf, dwarf) would also be welcoming and add a more rewarding feeling to the game.

I hope these concerns are addressed somewhat in the big upcoming update.

#4614 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Also Resurgence of Sauron comes up first nearly every time, then it's just hit the right ramp half a dozen times. Again some variation is needed.

That mode can be rewarding if you hit a lot of shots as the reward value increases and then collect it at the left ramp. It's a risk reward mode which is kinda cool.

Feast Freny and Beast Frenzy really need some additional code added to them in my opinion. Right now those two modes seem rather bare compared to Smaug Multiball. I think they are intentionally designed this way and are more "hit the switch" type modes (at least Feast Frenzy). I hope that more objective based elements are added to them.

#4623 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

It's very poor that a factory fix was never implemented for this. Adding a washer under the screw does the trick, there are some photos in this thread showing where they go.

Yeah, should have been corrected months ago. I also hope JJP is now using blue Loctite on the screws holding the beast character heads to the mech as those would come lose on a lot of people's games. Here's the pic of the washer installed from LTG.

59fb697b1d236c22205f3ce85173a27402f3e781 (resized).jpg59fb697b1d236c22205f3ce85173a27402f3e781 (resized).jpg

#4632 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Not sure how many Hobbit owners joined tonight's POTC Twitch feed - which is looking amazing by the way. But I asked Keith in the chat for any teasers on the Hobbit code update. He said he's joining the Head2Head pinball podcast very soon and said to stay tuned! Hopefully he drops some clues on what we can expect.

Awesome, thanks for asking the question and posting!

#4635 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/254787722##
At the 50 minute mark Keith addresses thewoolpins question regarding the hobbit code

Thanks. Keith said he would be talking to those guys in a half hour at that point so should be able to listen to the podcast somewhat soon.

#4640 5 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Yes, we talked about the Hobbit code a decent amount. Whats changing, what is being redone, wizard mode, etc.
Interview is almost 2 hours because we talk ALOT. It will be up on http://head2headpinball.com on Monday morning/afternoon US time

Awesome, can't wait! Thanks.

#4642 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

New Code coming! AW YEAH!!!!!

Yeah when I read "Whats changing, what is being redone, wizard mode, etc." it makes it sound like JJP has been listening to the dozens of similar code concerns from Hobbit owners. This is great to hear.

#4646 5 years ago

Heads up, the latest Head2Head podcast is up! Will be listening soon.

#4647 5 years ago

Here's a summary of what Keith said about the Hobbit and the changes coming to the game on the latest Head2Head pinball podcast. Sounds like very cool and welcoming changes. Please listen to the podcast as there's a lot of interesting information in it from Keith from over the course of his career.

1. Said with the Hobbit they put a ton of crap into the game, didn't want to make it the same as LOTR. Said JJP went over the top with 31 mode idea and that the whole point of the game is to give you unprecedented breadth of playability. Compared WOZ as LOTR 2.0, Hobbit as WOF 2.0.

2. Said there's so much different stuff to do in the game. Mentioned Hobbit multiballs are no slouch, said Into the Fire has 5 stages, Barrel Escape 3 or 5, and Battle of the Five armies 7 stages. Keith compared the multiball stages of the Arkenstone modes to individual modes and really the Hobbit can be considered to have 40+ modes.

Code changes

1. There and Back Again is the name of the super wizard mode. Doesn't want to give too much away but it will concentrate on beating all 31 modes. Mentioned he doesn't know if it will tie everything together (could be referring to also having to beat Arkenstone modes in addition to beat all book modes)

2. Scoring tweaks for a lot of stuff

3. Beast Multiball is being rewritten by Joe Katz and he started working on it last week. Keith said Beast MB will be a lot better

4. Behavior of game changing somewhat. The 31 book modes will have a star raiting assigned to them, 1-5. The number of stars you have completed going into an Arkenstone mode works into bonus. Also, the highest star mode beat affects scoring of your next qualified wizard mode. For example the One Ring mode, an easier mode, will likely be assigned 1 star and Keith said if that is the mode completed when you go into an Arkenstone mode your bonus won't be as high compared to going into it with a 4, or 5 star mode completed.

All of these changes sound awesome and in my opinion will lead to the Hobbit having a master code ruleset on the levels of WOZ and LOTR

#4650 5 years ago

The whole star raiting bonus concept sounds very cool as it creates a reason for completing multiple modes.
With the new code someone could complete 3 one or two star modes, and reach all 3 Arkenstone modes.
However, there's a good chance a player with more modes completed, and higher star rated modes completed, can play 1 Arkenstone mode and get a higher score then the player that rushes to reach all 3. Can't wait.

#4652 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The scoring is all good for competition and all, but I still like the idea of rewards for completing modes too. They are doing both, which is very good to hear.

Same here. I hope that a tally of stars collected is present on the LCD somewhere.

#4653 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Would have been nice if they asked about timeframes for releasing the update.

Keith did provide a timeline at the end of the interview. He said the update will come after Pirates starts shipping and that Keith himself hasn't done the stuff yet with the game that he wants to include in the update. As mentioned previously though by Keith we know that Ted Estes has been working on the update a lot for a couple months and that Joe Katz started rewriting Beast MB last week.

#4659 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

First just to mention that I love Hobbit and really want it to be amazing.
As far as what it needs the fans have documented this. JJP has to be JJP though and make it their own... But default stacking of modes and MBs needs to be optional. At this point to igone this is just silly to carry this on like its cool.
Reality check. LOTR code is more simplistic than TH but superior in many ways. Not sure whether the stars thing for the modes is enough in terms of variation. This gives the modes more weight but where is the incentive to complete them? To go by completion of MAN, DWARF, etc. seems better to me.
Jury is out but I hope Keith and the team have injected more passion and creativity into the game, like what we are seeing in the Pirates feeds.

The big incentive for completing modes will be the impact it has to your Arkenstone mode scoring. Complete just an easy 1 star mode, like The One Ring, and Arkenstone scoring won't be as high compared to completing multiple modes with some of a higher star raiting. This will add a risk reward element to the game that currently doesn't exist as well as make completing modes far more valuable.

The star raiting / bonus system being implemented seems similar to what has been done in Dialed In and POTC. In Dialed In you can time out modes to reach 2 of the 3 wizard modes but your wizard mode scoring will be low compared to completing modes which grant a higher scoring multiplier. In POTC the number of standard modes completed for a movie impacts scoring for that movies multiball / mini wizard mode (in addition to number of jackpots collected during multiballs).

I do hope though that some type of reward, even an additional multiplier or points with a visual indicator, is granted for beating sets of types of modes like you mentioned. Personally I would like to see a X number of modes to be completed requirement for the 2nd, 3rd, etc Arkenstone mode as having to repeat the same qualifiers every time gets old.

#4661 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Am I the only one who doesn't really care about the score I get when I play The Hobbit? For me it is all about progression and the adventure game experience. I want to see how far I can get. Scoring incentives really don't get me hyped for new code. On other games, I play for high score, but LOTR and Hobbit are games that I want to COMPLETE. When I play Into the Fire, I'm trying to get through the mode, see those eagles show up, and nail those victory laps, etc. So, kinda not really excited about the direction Keith is taking The Hobbit. I don't think it needs score balancing/incentives. It needs rule changes that help integrate the modes into the experience/progression of the game. Just my two cents...for what it's worth.

I hear ya there. I care about the same things in terms of progression. I think the big update will provide a good balance of providing rule changes to help progression (There and Back Again, new Beast MB) as well provide scoring opportunities to provide more incentive for completing multiple modes before going into Arkenstone modes. Having a super wizard mode in the game for beating all 31 modes will be huge in terms of progression. I'm sure there's a few other things coming in the update that Keith did not mention on the podcast.

#4675 5 years ago
Quoted from Pathfinder:

It sounded to me like there is an end to the beast multi-ball already, but it is just too hard to achieve. The new update would just reduce the amount of effort required to clear the beasts. Defeating Smaug is achievable, especially without the beasts popping up. So there seems to be a clear strategy of stacking both so that extra balls are in play. First clearing the beasts and then defeating Smaug.
Has anyone been able to defeat beast mulit-ball? I've been to BOFA a few times and defeated Smaug a handful of times, but I've never beat the beasts.
I would really like to see an indication of what modes I have beat in addition to just started. If all the modes actually have to be completed 100%, the TABA wizard mode would be extremely rare (impossible for all but a few) and would take a ton of time. So I'm not sure if it is a worthwhile update. Just starting and timing out the modes would be doable, but maybe not enough accomplishment to be rewarded with a major wizard mode.
Overall, I'm really happy that JJP is taking the time to polish the code. It will make an awesome game even better!

Keith mentioned that Beast MB is getting rewritten. Thank goodness as I personally find that mode rather boring.

#4679 5 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

We as a group here on pinside and Jjp forum have come up with a ton of great ideas. I don't think Keith is going to implement any of them beyond what he said in the podcast. I don't think Keith likes to rewrite any of his established codes beyond polish. It's really too bad because so many great ideas have been mentioned and there are so many great assets to work with. Besides all that is mentioned would like to see Smaug play a bigger role with more voice material. Hope for the best, and hope not to be disappointed.

Yeah. I'm still very surprised to this day that a vast majority of lines from the first time that Bilbo and Smaug meet are not in the game.

There's always going to be something we wish would have been added but even if those ideas never get implemented The Hobbit is still one of the deepest pinball machines ever created. In terms of mode variety, and use of licensed assets in modes I can't think of another game that does it better. There's so much material from all 3 movies to use that all of it cannot be put into the game. What's awesome is that we have 31 objective modes with licensed assets + custom music for every mode, and 3 very deep wizard modes with multiple stages featuring licnesed assets. A super wizard mode and more scoring opportunities will be the icing on the cake in my opinion for this pin.

#4689 5 years ago

I posted this on the JJP Google Group. A lot of Hobbit owners have complained about the repetitive nature of making multiple Arkenstone attempts. I think this would be a good compromise as it would leave the original rule structure in place yet give players more options for earning runes towards their 2nd, 3rd, etc Arkenstone mode attempts.

I think having to repeat the same qualifiers every time to attempt an Arkenstone mode is one of the last big complaints about the game. Having to repeat all the same qualifiers for Arkenstone mode attempts isn't much fun as it becomes a grind

Here's an idea that would allow for the existing rule flow to stay intact yet give players more ways to qualify for Arkenstone mode attempts. Allow X number of modes completed after playing 1 Arkenstone mode (using regular rune requirements as they are today) to grant a rune towards 2nd, 3rd, etc Arkenstone mode attempts. Players can still play through Smaug MB, Beast Frenzy, etc again if they want to for their 2nd, 3rd, ert Arkenstone attemptd yet would have the choice and incentive to complete more modes instead. This concept would play well into the star raiting bonus system that Keith mentioned as well.

For example say you played 1 Arkenstone mode and now you are back to 0 runes. Instead of having to replay everything to earn runes you could either do that again or play 2 modes to earn a rune, play 2 more to earn another, etc. Then let's say it's your 3rd Arkenstone mode attempt, you can repeat the same things again as they are today or play 3 modes to earn a rune, 3 more to earn another, etc.

#4706 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yeah, Ted from JJP recommended to remove the center post and open the outlines even.

Yup, that really helps plus enabling the critics cut preset that Ted added with the last update.

#4711 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I would respectfully disagree on the LOTR comparison above. I can easily get all 3 movie multiballs started and at least play Destroy the Ring just about every game on LOTR. I've beaten/completed both Fellowship multiball and Two Towers multiball. I just checked my audits and I've been to Battle of the Five Armies 4 times (1400 total plays, I'd say 80% are mine). You may say I just suck, but I'm the same player on LOTR and Hobbit...and I find the fact that Hobbit is a linear progression makes getting all the way through more challenging. I've still not completed all victory laps for Into the fire and have yet to complete Barrell Escape and BOFA. Those modes are seriously challenging. And for me, Smaug = Destroy the Ring in difficulty and excitement. I can get to both, but completing them is difficult. Can't tell you how many times I've drained one shot away from both Smaug and DTR. But killing Smaug and Destroying the ring never get old. LOTR is an adventure experience like none other, but Hobbit takes that experience and adds better music and film clips that takes it to 11. Both games are great, but Hobbit is no slouch for this non-tourney player.

Great points, agree. I'm always surprised to hear some people say that they have "beat" The Hobbit because they played the 3 Arkenstone modes...but then didn't actually beat any of them. The 3 Arkenstone modes are very engaging, fun, and difficult wizard modes with multiple stages. Starting modes isn't the same as completing them.

It would be awesome if JJP would consider adding a mid wizard mode to Hobbit, Destroy the Ring style, for beating 15 modes to represent the half way point.

#4713 5 years ago
Quoted from Pathfinder:

I totally agree. The Hobbit is an extremely challenging game. I've been to BOFA a half dozzen times and killed Smaug only two or three times. I've never completed all the stages in any of the arkenstone modes or 100% finished all the modes. The game has some very easy objectives for casual players and then there seems to be a big jump in difficulty to achieve more. It is probably a game best suited for a long-term home environment than an arcade due to the learning curve and overall difficulty. If it were easy, it would grow old too quickly so I'm happy that it is the way it is. I just think it needs a little more for intermediate players to keep them interested.

Agree. Some type of award for beating 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 31 (super wizard mode as award) book modes would accomplish that in my opinion. Dialed In does that incredibly well by offering mid wizard modes for starting 6 and 11 modes. The Hobbit needs something similar for its book modes in my opinion.

#4715 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

That would be very cool, the idea of a mini wizard mode/reward for completing X number of modes. Much more enticing than a star. But unfortunately would require much more coding and not sure if there are enough assets left for it (who knows how much they have left to work with after all that is in there).

Bilbos auction? Keith was joking around about that on the podcast.

For a half way wizard mode for beating 15 modes I would do a longer drawn out mode with multiple stages from the scene where Elrond, Lady Galadriel, and Saruman rescue Gandalf. With the way that scene is done there could be some rather epic light shows implemented. That scene has classic characters in it and would be great to see represented as a mini wizard mode in the game.

Here's the scene

2 weeks later
#4722 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Man, I can hardly wait for the next update. I am looking forward to what they cook up!

Same, it's been about 3 weeks since Keith mentioned that Joe Katz started re-writing beast multiball. I think that change, the addition of a super wizard mode, the star rating concept, the other items Keith mentioned last year (champion items, extra bonuses for Feast Frenzy and Super Spinner, additional configuration options for Arkenstone modes), the work Ted has been performing on the game (Keith said he had been working a lot on the update), and anything else that is implemented is going to really elevate the games code to a "master code" level! That's my hope at least

#4731 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Magnet problem. Not the Smaug magnet that drops the ball into the lock for multiball, I'm talking about the rear left playfield magnet that stops a looped shot and drops the ball into the hidden hole.
The left playfield magnet does not stop the ball to divert it to the hidden hole for a +1 mode ball. The green light comes on at the loop and the ball just continues around to the other side. Both switches work in switch test and the wires look fine to the magnets. Not sure how to proceed.
The only thing I did recently was to upgrade from 2.00 to 2.01 but I'm not sure that has anything to do with the issue.

There's a test in the games diagnostic menu specific to that magnet. Does it work and grab the ball in the test mode? I would also look in the diagnostics menu to see what fuse that magnet uses and see if anything else that leverages the same fuse is out as well.

2 weeks later
#4787 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Put my deposit on a le today now just trying to figure out how to pay for it. .played a star wars le next to it and the difference between them was night and day the star wars felt so cheap although I really liked the video mode I played.

Awesome! Not sure if you can get this in Australia but there's a Chase Sapphire credit card out there that offers $500 in cash back after spending $5k within 3 months. The distributor I bought my Hobbit through didn't charge for a credit card fee at the time (does now) so it knocked $500 off the game. I then just paid the card off the first month and closed it within a year to avoid the $100 yearly fee. Maybe your distributor won't charge a CC fee.

#4792 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Thanks, no sapphire credit cards here but I did get a $1000 bucks off. Will have to look down the back of the couch for the rest.

Nice! Can't beat that. Congrats!

1 week later
#4801 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Any word on when the next big update is going to drop? Seems like the chatter has dropped off considerably since a few months ago when the board was buzzing about it. If anyone knows dates or a general time frame, I'm very curious.

Jack recently made a comment on the JJP Owner Google Group that a meaningful update is coming at some point soon

1 week later
#4821 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The JJP Software group sent out a tweet that no live stream today but there would be a possible surprise later this week. Then there was this post in the JJP Live Pinside thread shortly after that:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-live/page/3#post-4468430
That indicates that there would be a JJP Live stream on 7/6 to show "New. Hobbit. Code." So we can speculate the rest of the week on if both are correct and something will happen by the end of this week too. Or … maybe the tweet was supposed to say next Friday. Pinsiders (including me) always hope for the best scenario for them when clues come out directly from JJP. Something to look forward to anyway.

Awesome news! Can't wait to see, and then eventually play, the new Hobbit code.

#4831 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

I know there has been quite a bit of speculation since the last update - here, on the JJP owner's group, etc. Does anyone have an idea of what to expect? Any leaks? I'm just curious to see what everyone has heard.
Considering JJP is live streaming, I think the update should be substantive (more than simply bug fixes). But who knows? Fingers crossed we see more callouts - particularly Smaug!

Here's a summary I wrote up a couple months back regarding the changes that have been discussed over the past year. Will all of these be in the next update? Who knows but I would think a good chunk of what's below will be there.

Summary

1. From Keith last year on the JJP Google Group. "I can say I have plans for various "champion" items, some extra bonuses associated with Feast Frenzy and Super Spinner, and a final mode. Maybe some additional configuration options for more interesting game play WRT Arkenstone modes. Additional modes and multiballs apart from what I've alluded to will not be added as those were not in the design plan, and generating and getting approvals for additional assets required is problematic."

2. Keith mentioned on one of the latest POTC streams that Ted has been working on the update a lot for the past couple of months.

3. Summary of Hobbit code related comments on Head2Head pinball podcast (copied from Pinside).

1. There and Back Again is the name of the super wizard mode. Doesn't want to give too much away but it will concentrate on beating all 31 modes. Mentioned he doesn't know if it will tie everything together (could be referring to also having to beat Arkenstone modes in addition to beat all book modes)

2. Scoring tweaks for a lot of stuff

3. Beast Multiball is being rewritten by Joe Katz and he started working on it last week. Keith said Beast MB will be a lot better

4. Behavior of game changing somewhat. The 31 book modes will have a star raiting assigned to them, 1-5. The number of stars you have completed going into an Arkenstone mode works into bonus. Also, the highest star mode beat affects scoring of your next qualified wizard mode. For example the One Ring mode, an easier mode, will likely be assigned 1 star and Keith said if that is the mode completed when you go into an Arkenstone mode your bonus won't be as high compared to going into it with a 4, or 5 star mode completed.

#4850 5 years ago

That's a hell of a lot of awesome and welcomed changes

36504830_2052763038075615_6563925989364072448_o (resized).jpg36504830_2052763038075615_6563925989364072448_o (resized).jpg

#4854 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Lots of incredible stuff...
I wonder what this means exactly:
"Added award for playing all Book Modes for a given qualfier; award is
configurable for points (default) or spotting an Arkenstone task"
Is this related to qualifying a certain sequence of related modes? And are they going to make it less bewildering to know which modes are related to each other?
I could totally see playing this game two different ways. 1. Just go for modes and let the Arkenstone modes just happen as you progress through the modes or 2. Go for Akenstone tasks to get to Arkenstone modes.
This new release seems to make the modes so much more important instead of an after thought. I have high hopes for Friday!

This is something I've probably talked about for over a year nearly relentlessly, lol. Rewards for completing sets of modes. "Given qualifier" may be referring to man, elf, dwarf, Bilbo, Gandalf, etc modes.

It sounds like you can enable an option to allow playing all book modes for a given qualifier to award an Arkenstone attempt. This is huge from a playability standpoint as it allows you to change the way the game is played by not having to repeat all of the same tasks for each Arkenstone mode attempt.

It's awesome that the default award is points so in standard default play you still get a reward but you also have the option to grant an Arkenstone mode as an reward. Very cool!

Thank you JJP!

#4856 5 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

That would be a welcome addition. Let's hope that's the case.

Oh yeah. Just from reading the read me notes I can tell that this is the type of update that will take the Hobbit to the next level. It's been a long wait but it looks like it will have been well worth it. Its great to see that JJP has implemented a good number ideas based on customer feedback. Theres will be multiple options now to set up how the game plays.

#4861 5 years ago

I've read the release notes a couple times now and all I can say is that I'm beyond impressed. Pretty much everything that owners have been suggesting for a while now is in the update, I can't believe it really. Talk about great customer support, this is that and then some!

#4867 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

JJP have smashed it with this update!

Hell yeah they did! I haven't been this pumped after reading a change log since WOZ 2.0 back in December of 2013, lol.

#4879 5 years ago

A few of the changes are pretty damn substantial such as the item below.

* Book Mode qualifier for Arkenstone now includes a scoring weight; more difficult
modes result in higher Arkenstone scoring

I believe that addition is the star rating concept that Keith talked about a couple months back. Notes below that I took from the podcast.

Behavior of game changing somewhat. The 31 book modes will have a star raiting assigned to them, 1-5. The number of stars you have completed going into an Arkenstone mode works into bonus. Also, the highest star mode beat affects scoring of your next qualified wizard mode. For example the One Ring mode, an easier mode, will likely be assigned 1 star and Keith said if that is the mode completed when you go into an Arkenstone mode your bonus won't be as high compared to going into it with a 4, or 5 star mode completed.

#4884 5 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Code won't change layout or general perception of game I love it those who don't still won't I say it wins over a few people and for those of us Enjoy it just got a major upgrade

Code support can affect game value and game perception in big ways. Stern Star Trek and Metallica are proof of that.

#4889 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

To watch the stream, or not watch the stream, that is the question...
I'm dying to see some gameplay, but also want to explore middle earth with fresh eyes! Roll on Saturday!!

I hear ya there. I'm going to pass on watching the stream, at least a majority of it. It's awesome JJP is doing a stream for the new Hobbit code but I want to see and hear a lot of the changes for the first time on my own.

#4898 5 years ago

From Ted in one of the other threads.

"Thank you all for your excitement surrounding the upcoming software update.

Here are some screen captures from Status Report that show the details on the Arkenstone weighting ("TIER") for the book modes. I completed "Resurgence of Sauron" to illustrate how that is highlighted."

2eedb2bafb6be71c76f0d0616e824d9f4f4757b4 (resized).jpg2eedb2bafb6be71c76f0d0616e824d9f4f4757b4 (resized).jpg
a551f00df9bf586d873b325e4c9cd9bafd064e7a (resized).jpga551f00df9bf586d873b325e4c9cd9bafd064e7a (resized).jpg
579158824099ea1686591b194970415f2f9c689b (resized).jpg579158824099ea1686591b194970415f2f9c689b (resized).jpg

#4916 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

#3 is why you shouldn't buy this pin. If you are half decent you'll have plenty of hour long games. I bought NIB and yes the first 3-4 months I loved it, then I grew VERY tired of constant pop ups and multi balls. There is very little to shoot and despite it being a gorgeous pin, its just not that much fun. I got blasted for stating my opinion in another thread, which is pitiful, but all you have to do is look at what these are selling for used to tell you the perceived value. Owners who have it will talk it up, but talk to people who bought it and moved on from it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

This is an owners only thread. You got blasted in the other threads (then ejected) as you were trolling and being insulting. Now you are doing it again here. Please leave.

#4970 5 years ago

Wow what a code update! JJP went all out with this one. I've only played a few games on the newest code but everything just feels more complete, meaningful and cohesive then before. The new callouts, animations, audio queues and visual indicators are excellent.

As others have said here's a few things I would like to report.

1. Smaug interaction at end of game is gone Why? This is such a cool thing to see at the end of most games. I really miss seeing Smaug turn at the end of the game once in a while and saying "I think our little game ends here" or "That is a pity".

2. During the Smegal ball saves mode I notice that if a save is not made Smegal saying "Its our, ours!!!!" gets cut off right at the end. This occurred in older code revisions as well.

Also, does beating the mode qualifiers spot an Arkenstone mode attempt or complete one for you when the option is enabled? I hope it's spotting an Arkenstone mode attempt meaning it lights an Arkenstone mode to try versus having to light by repeating the standard 5 qualifiers. Can anyone confirm?

#5003 5 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

Didn’t they include two sets of rivers? One for an inexpensive rivet gun?
Do you have a link to the hand die that you used?
Think I will take this on. If I can build my own new opto cable from parts and install it under the Dialed in theater, I should be able to handle this.

Checkout my post 4348 on page 87 about doing the ramp flap upgrade. I was a bit hesitant to do the ramp flap upgrade myself but it wasn't too bad. The biggest pain is removing the ramp assembly. The instructions provided by JJP with the ramp flap upgrade are a great guide.

Here's the tool I used.

https://www.amazon.com/Hanson-Rivet-HT-174-RIVET-CLINCHER/dp/B00ZDUSRE8/ref=sr_1_2

#5050 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

My beast mech wire splicing saving washers keep coming loose, and there's now not the wood to get a good grip on the screw.
Was there ever a factory fix for this, or has anyone found a permanent solution? Thanks.

I recall adding a zip tie to a wire in the beast mech when it was removed to pull it to the side or something versus using a washer. Wish I had a pic of it. As others have said toothpicks with a bit of wood glue inserted into the hole will help.

#5094 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I would love to see saved progress in the miniwizard modes. That and pausing timers during modes would be fantastic

Good ideas. I think the following would be a cool way to pull this off yet allow JJP to still enforce playing through the Arkenstone modes in order.

1. Arkenstone modes 1-3 are always played in order
2. On the 4th Arkenstone mode attempt allow the player to select one of the 3 already played Arkenstone and start that player in the mode where they last left off.
3. If saved state cannot be enabled allow players to at least be able to select what Arkenstone can be played for the 4th, 5th, etc attempt.

2 months later
#5504 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Yet Dialed In has been forgotten about.

Thankfully more code for Dialed In is coming JJP just did a live stream today showing off new Dialed In code that will be shown off at Expo. Looks pretty cool! To be fair Dialed In's code had been much more polished and complete compared to pre Hobbit 2.96 code, at least I always thought so. As a Hobbit and Dialed In owner it's great knowing updates are coming soon both.

Dialed In JJP Live Twitch stream from earlier today.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/323121671

#5516 5 years ago

So I'm having an issue one one of the "LOCK" rollovers. One of them responds in test mode but the ball isn't triggering it when it rolls over. Would this mean that it's too high above the table? What would be the best way to adjust it? Without the ability to spell lock reaching Smaug MB and wizard modes is...well impossible, lol.

Thank you!

#5518 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Power off. Adjust the leaf blade switch below the playfield. Long one just resting on the plastic rod coming down from the roll over, bottom one far enough away so vibration doesn't set it off but the slightest ball hit does.
It might take some tweaking, but you should be able to adjust it to where you like it.

Thank Lloyd!

#5520 5 years ago
Quoted from elf70:

One more thought in case that doesn't work out right - I had one button that actually had to be replaced - the clear plastic "rod" (not sure what to call it) that sticks downward from the center of the button was just slightly shorter than the other 3. It could be triggered by pushing it with the finger, but a ball rolling over it was just not enough to make that happen.

Thanks for the tip! I'll make sure to check that as well.

#5523 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

The added call outs in the 2.97 build are great - but yeah a spotter is still nice to have.
I hear several new custom callouts from Gandalf. I wonder if JJP went back to the voice actor for some more content?

It sounds like Quinton Kappel may have come back for more callouts based on Ted's recent reply, quoted below, in another thread. Don't know for sure. Either way it's awesome that more callouts have been added. Same goes for David Thiel as I'm not sure if the Super Spinner music had already been created or if that was recently created by him.

I think The Hobbit with 3.0 will be the game owners had imagined it would be one day. Hats off to JJP for delivering and for all of the hard work on the games code. To see pretty much all customer concerns about the games code not only addressed but then have even more added is very impressive. It's treatment like this that will keep me buying JJP pins for years to come.

"Let me extend the thanks of the entire team for all the enthusiastic comments.

I also need to express my gratitude to David Thiel, Jean-Paul de Win, and Quinton Kappel for their efforts above and beyond the original scope of the project.

--Ted"

#5526 5 years ago

Fixed the rollover issue. Thanks again guys for the tips. I ended up removing the rollover to adjust the leaf switch below it.

I played some games on 2.97 this morning and really enjoyed it. There's definitely a lot of polish in the update and some cool additions. I noticed a few new Smaug callouts during Smaug multiball which helps make the mode feel more immersive and fun. I also noticed that the music for Feast Frenzy seems toned down a bit, this is a welcomed change as it always seemed to loud to the point of being annoying. Overall very cool stuff, enjoying the other new callouts as well.

I may have found a bug with 2.97. After playing Smaug MB i started the mode "Flashback" that was from the time when Smaug terrorized Laketown years before the films. In earlier code I thought Smaug started moving around almost immediately when the mode starts. When I played the mode today I made a few shots but he never moved once. I ended up draining during the mode so not sure if Smaug starts to move around later in the mode. I got to the point in the mode where you load the Windlance but Smaug still hadn't moved yet. On my next ball I started locking balls again and Smaug moved so I can verify it's not a hardware issue.

Here's the scene the mode is based off of.

1 week later
#5588 5 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I have an opportunity to get a Black Arrow for a good price but really like the Smaug or regular LE trim better. I know it's a matter of taste but is Black Arrow more sought after and rarer of the bunch?

I think the Smaug and LE editions would be considered more valuable as they have a far superior powder coat on the games armour and legs versus the Black Arrow addition. That's just my opinion though, a lot may be personal preference. However, I think the LE and Smaug editions have one of the nicest factory powder coats ever applied to a pin.

There was a number or small hardware fixes for earlier Smaug and LE editions, if those fixes have not been made I can see it affecting the games price a little. Black Arrows were made well after the games release and will come with all of the hardware fixes installed out of the box. After maybe 6 months or so after release all Smaug and LE's had the hardware fixes applied as well.

The fixes that JJP offered are

1. Updated ramp flaps. This is the easiest way to tell if a game has all of the fixes applied as anyone who took the time to do the update likely did the others. If the ramp flaps are black then they are the newer ones, grey then they are the older ones that can curl upwards over time. This is the most complex and time consuming (maybe 2-3 hours) update of the 4 I listed here.

2. Clear molded plastic inserts in front of beast mechs, prevents balls from getting stuck.

3. Updated springs for all drop targets, earlier ones were prone to breaking.

4. Post on far left habit rail or ideally the newer updated rail installed

#5628 5 years ago

Does anyone know if the mini LCD displays the star raiting prior to a mode starting? Would look myself but currently not by my game. This would be very helpful to have for determining what mode you want to play as you hit the left ramp to change the book mode pages.

#5630 5 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

It does in the top right corner. But the stars are pretty small.

Cool, thanks! Will pay attention to that in the future.

#5645 5 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Quoted from Kenz:
Where can I find the 2.99 update?
On the JJP WOZ forum on Google. If you have the game and don't have access to the group, email jen@jerseyjackpinball to get access.
Updated my TH to 2.99. Epic game. Managed to get to ‘into the fire’ level 2 then lost my ball. It was like fighting an army. Anyways how many levels is there?

I found the stage count information from an older post by Keith. According to Keith there are 6 stages to Smaug MB, 5 stages each for Into the Fire and Barrel Escape, and 7 stages for Battle of the Five Armies. Plus there's now the "There and Back Again" super wizard mode

1 week later
#5752 5 years ago

Downloading 3.0 now! What a remarkable string of updates The Hobbit has received these past 6 months. Thanks again JJP!

#5755 5 years ago
Quoted from IceFang:

While following the full install instructions exactly, is anyone else getting a "file X:\syslinux/menu.c32 already exists" prompt? Not knowing exactly what to do, I chose "Yes to All", and it SEEMS to have installed fully on the stick. However, at the very end, I also get a pop-up indicating UNetbootin "might not have installed correctly". I am hesitant to try updating with these unexpected pop-ups, and I'm curious is anyone else is experiencing this.
[quoted image]

I received the same "file X:\syslinux/menu.c32 already exists" message as well (twice, even after a full format of my thumb drive) but did not receive the "might not have installed correctly" message. Have not attempted the install yet.

3 weeks later
#5972 5 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Try rufus instead of unetbootin, that's what I had to do on mine for it to work.

Rufus worked perfectly for me, I kept getting an error using Unetbootin. Thanks!

1 month later
#6282 5 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I hope so.... I haven't updated to 3.00 as I tried and had issues downloading. ONce I get the new code stick from my buddy then we'll see as I only have about 84 games on mine and more then 1/2 aren't full games.
Kinda wished I bought a DI, but my wife won't let me sell Hobbit even though she plays GB everyday and might have played hobbit 10.
It's when I play the old code it's kinda like.....okay can't wait to get done

Might as well go straight to 3.10, it's also a full ISO install.

#6328 5 years ago

Played some games on 3.1 yesterday, just incredible! I set a new high score and then realized I turned off high scores versus turning off daily high scores lol.

Any else have an issue with their Smaug mouth not moving after 3.0 and 3.1? I had to go into the menu and make a few adjustments to the dragon mouth min and max settings. After making the setting changes the mouth moves again but I never had to do that prior to 3.0.

#6393 5 years ago

Had my best game yet and tilted during stage 3 of Into the Fire while on ball 3 lol. It was great to hear callouts to let you know what stage you are in and for the jackpot shot being ready. The mode itself is much more immersive then I remember it being in the past. I haven't had that much fun in a pinball mode since playing Destroy the Ring in LOTR. The amount of content in TH continues to amaze as does the level of polish the game has received over the past year.

#6399 5 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Are early Hobbit pinball machines reliable? I am looking at trading my AFM SE for a Hobbit. I found one for sale at a reasonable price (pending negotiations) near me. It is a HUO LE. I am considering selling my AFM SE outright to fund this purchase. My question is, this machine was a pre-order of the original batch and one of the first off the assembly line floor. The machine is very low play and likely has old code. I have not seen it in person yet. I wanted to know if there was anything I should look out for on an older Hobbit. Thanks and looking forward to joining the club soon!

Yes, they are just as reliable as the latest games assuming the proper hardware fix updates have been done. They consisted of the following. I would ask the owner if they did these unless they were done from the factory. If they were not done JJP will likely send you the update kit for free.

1. Spacers in beast mech area to prevent balls from getting stuck when beast mechs close
2. Springs replaced on all drop targets
3. Ramp flaps replaced with blue steel flaps, the older ones are prone to curling
4. Post installed at far left rail (leads to kick back) to prevent ball from falling off or rail replaced entirely with updated rail.

1 year later
#8586 3 years ago

Installed an Arkenstone and Bag End mod today. Both took a bit longer to install then expected (my fault, dumb mistakes lol) but I like the result. This game is still one of my favorites, the rules and theme integration can't be matched by many pins.

20200503_212629 (resized).jpg20200503_212629 (resized).jpg

11 months later
#10165 3 years ago

5 years later and The Hobbit is probably my favorite pin I own. The game is just loaded and has in my opinion the deepest objective based ruleset ever created for a pinball machine. The code work done by Keith Johnson, Joe Katz, and especially Ted Estes with the final few updates (he did a ton of work with those last few updates that took the game to the next level) makes this games code masterpiece level. I don't think we will ever see another pin have the amount and quality of objective based modes as The Hobbit. Also, the audio work by David Thiel is incredible as well.

Just ordered The Art of Pinball book and barrel mod for the game, I'm telling myself these are the last mods I'll buy for the game lol. Also, just had some family over the weekend for a pinball party. My cousins and I mainly played Hobbit, probably put 30+ games on it over the course of 6 hours haha. One of my cousins has a LOTR with over 6k plays (all his) and all he will play is Hobbit when he comes over lol.

#10170 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

Good luck with those being your last mods! Lior just teased the new beast mech sculpts on his Instagram this weekend
[quoted image]

DAMN IT! lol

3 weeks later
#10299 2 years ago

Never thought I would see another update for Hobbit after those few huge updates 2-3 years back. Awesome!

With Scorebit it doesn't look like there's anything additional to buy, just download the app and make sure your game is connected to the internet? Also, when playing in Scorebit mode does it automatically change your games settings for leaderboards? Just curious if it can enforce 3 ball default settings versus someone with modified settings that makes the game easier.

2 months later
#10517 2 years ago

New Factory Find from JJP on PinballWizard.com. $40, not bad considering how much these get hit. Ordered a set as never plan to sell the game lol.

Screenshot_20210726-140917_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210726-140917_Chrome (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 25.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.