IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (8 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oyvindmo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1637 7 years ago

Hobbit SE #78 landed in Trondheim, Norway last week, and was up and running on location the same day. Finally a Hobbit owner! Looking forward to seeing how it performs commercially here.

4 weeks later
#1976 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The ticket system is poor in my opinion.

Just to balance that with some positive experience: I opened four tickets in the support system on Wednesday. They were all handled to my satisfaction within two days.

1 week later
#2118 7 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

1. As others have reported, the strength in the plunger seemed to be getting weaker with use and so I was thinking about buying a stronger plunger spring. But now I am clearly detecting a lot of friction in the plunger itself and it is starting to feel like it is sticking as it is pulled out. Any ideas how to best lubricate a shooter lane plunger? Or is their a plastic insert that may need replacing in a similar style to those used inside coils?

Have you checked the angle of the plunger? On our game, the plunger aimed way too high, so it would not hit the ball squarely and also regularly bump into the top of the auto plunger. Caused weakness and severe inconsistency. Not sure what the correct way is to fix the angle, but we added a shim (a bit of a broken playfield plastic, actually) between the cabinet and the shooter housing, on the outside of the cabinet at the lower end of the housing. Works perfectly.

1 year later
#5177 5 years ago

This was posted in another thread as well, but should the small LCD screen ever go black and reseating cabling doesn't help, it may just be a case of bad soldering:

http://www.popbumper.no/2018/07/25/hobbit-display-issues/

2 weeks later
#5227 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

The issue is that there is a black plastic 'ridge' that the drops will sit on when raised up. When hit it will push back off the ridge and the spring will pull it down (drop it). I have found that if it doesn't stay up well (or at all) it is because that black plastic ridge is broken. My understanding is that you can't fix it - and have to replace the entire drop target assembly.

We started having this problem consistently lately with one of the drop targets on the left side. Upon checking, we found that all three ridges were completely broken. Two of them had enough remains that the drop targets still stay up most of the time.

Have JJP revised and improved the drop target assembly since the earlier production runs, or do we have to expect these to break?

#5229 5 years ago

Are you talking about the black plastic drop Target itself or the mechanism that makes it go up and down?

I'm talking about the small plastic ridges that are riveted to the main bracket to hold each drop target in the up-position. Part number 30-0024-00, item number 22 on page C-26 / C-27 in version 3.2 of the manual.

Afraid I don't have a picture at the moment. The game is on location, and I'm at work (the real one). Will try to shoot a picture next time I visit it.

3 months later
#6045 5 years ago

Replacing balls every 400 games seems excessive. By all means, replace them if they start looking rough in any way, but my Hobbit with about 13-14000 plays on it has only needed to have its balls replaced once or twice.

#6050 5 years ago

I'll try to take some pictures at some point, but these are the issues I can remember:

* Broken pop bumper bracket
* Broken sling shot arm, twice
* Dead LCD screen twice (seriously bad soldering; see our blog post: http://www.popbumper.no/2018/07/25/hobbit-display-issues/)
* Multiple times: Broken ledges on drop target brackets so targets won't stay up
* One bad lighting wire harness, so an insert lost its blue component
* Beast pop-ups: Broken wires, and switches that need tuning regularly

#6051 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

14000 plays??? good to hear these games are holding up.

Yeah, it's pretty popular with the players at our location, and has been consistently since day 1.

For 2018 it ends up well established in "tier 2", together with LOTR, GoT, AFM and Spiderman. Tier 1 this year are Metallica, Star Wars LE, and MMr. Tier 3 would be Dialed In, WCS94 (pulled late autumn) and Tron (pulled early autumn). Too new to be tiered yet are JJP POTC, TNA and Iron Maiden, but I can say that POTC and Maiden look quite good so far.

#6057 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

When the ledges broke on the drop targets were you able to fix it or did you need a whole new mechanism?

The first time it happened, we bought a new assembly, for two reasons: because just the bracket (which has the ledge) wasn't available to purchase separately, and to have some extra spare parts on hand for later. On later occasions we just super-glued the ledges back together, more or less. It looks a bit crappy, but has worked like a charm for 8+ months so far. If you want to solve it the nice way, the brackets are now available separately, for way less money than the assembly.

2 weeks later
#6178 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I am considering Hobbit and Dialed In for my next pin. [...] This would be my 2nd pin for my collection, I currently own JJP POTC LE.

I have Hobbit, Dialed In and POTC. Compared to POTC I find Hobbit to feel the most similar in play style, so for variety's sake in a small collection I would recommend Dialed In.

#6280 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

People here love it. Claim it's the best JJP pin.

Same here. It is loved by both the hardcore regulars and the casuals/newbies, which is pretty unusual.

(To stay on topic: Hobbit has also been very popular, but especially with the casual and younger crowd.)

1 month later
#6653 5 years ago

When the plastic edge fails people have been replacing the mechs.

You don't need to replace the entire mech, as it is possible to buy just the main bracket. Unfortunately for you guys on the wrong side of the Atlantic, I have only been able to find them in a German web shop:

http://www.shop.freddys-pinball-paradise.de/index.php?&lang=e&lnge=1

Search for 10-8002 and you'll find the two brackets, for 3- and 5-bank.

We replaced one mech due to this problem, but the next time it happened we just super-glued things more or less together again. The glued ones have worked great as well. I'm sure it would be possible to 3D-print a replacement ledge and glue it on, if the original ledge is too broken to glue together. Or maybe drill out the rivets and glue a Stern ledge on: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-6163-05 ? I haven't checked the dimensions to see if it would work.

1 year later
#8637 3 years ago

Tech question:

I have lost power to two coils, specifically the spider pop-up (power and hold) and the upper slingshot. These two are on the tan colored power line. All other coils on the same line, work fine. Measuring voltage on the tan wire's pin on the molex connector by the spider coil shows 0V. I have continuity between the spider coil and the slingshot coil.

Before I start ripping apart the large and neatly zip-tied wiring looms, do anyone by any chance know where the next upstream power connection is from these two coils?

Thanks

#8650 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd look over the other coil lugs to see if you have a poor connection at one lugs with the same color wire.

Good point, I haven't looked very closely at the lugs. I'll do that.

Quoted from KingPinGames:

if you go into the device test, is the spider red?

No, it's green, and all switches work. For testing purposes I swapped the power connectors of the warg and the spider, and when firing the "warg" in device test the spider popped up and both spider switches triggered.

#8651 3 years ago

LTG wins! The missing 70V to the spider and upper slingshot was caused by one of the wires to the upper right flipper coil having come off. Soldered it on and everything is hunky-dory again. Thanks!

#8655 3 years ago

Next question in my quest to get my Hobbit back up to fully working condition: Are the clip-fit optos available anywhere? My "subway enter" opto is dead so I need a replacement, but cannot find it for sale anywhere.

I tried searching for both the Hobbit part# (18-7020-xx-yy) and the Pirates part# (18-005001-xx), which I believe are equivalent(?).

#8661 3 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

Next question in my quest to get my Hobbit back up to fully working condition: Are the clip-fit optos available anywhere? My "subway enter" opto is dead so I need a replacement, but cannot find it for sale anywhere.

I tried searching for both the Hobbit part# (18-7020-xx-yy) and the Pirates part# (18-005001-xx), which I believe are equivalent(?).

In case anyone else wonders: Though the assembly (opto pair + molex connector) is not available in any pinball shops, the opto emitter/sensor pair itself is readily available at your friendly electronics supplier like Digikey or Mouser. The part is OPB100Z from Optek Technology, and costs around $6-7 for the pair. Problem solved

Edit: So to create a complete opto/cable set, you just need these parts (and a crimping tool):

1 pc. Optek OPB100Z (opto emitter/sensor pair)
4 pcs. TE Connectivity 794956-1 (crimp contacts)
1 pc. TE Connectivity 794954-4 (housing)

Total price around $7.50 without any volume discounts.

7 months later
#9587 3 years ago

So, I guess that DWARF drop target bank was ripe for a rebuild... Three out of the five coil stops were completely broken off, only staying in place by virtue of the tightly packed nature of the assembly

2021-01-02 15.51.23 (resized).jpg2021-01-02 15.51.23 (resized).jpg
#9589 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Wow , how many games has was on it .

About 14-15000 games. I had it on location for a while before it got rotated to my basement

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oyvindmo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=oyvindmo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.