IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (8 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbubbles.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6596 5 years ago

A good home for The Hobbit... and Lord of the Rings of course!

20180720_165623 (resized).jpg20180720_165623 (resized).jpg
#6599 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Holy CRAP?! is that your place ?

Yep, I'm big into combining life size sculptures and replicas with pinball. I've got a pretty cool life-size Venom and Spiderman bust to go with a SM Vault, life-size Davy Jones bust to go with POTC, etc.

#6600 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

As good as Lord of the Rings is I'd love to see jjp have a go at it

I feel the same way about a Jurassic World/Park Pin. I would love to see what JJP could do with that, not a huge fan of the old Data East JP, and I have quite the life-size Dinosaur setup to go perfectly with it!

2 months later
#6960 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I adjusted rollovers quite a bit.
There is tons of adjustment room built in.
I dont think its altogether necessary to replace them, unless you just want to.
And, if you replace them, it will still take a bit of time to adjust them.
Patience is the key...lol
It took forever to get them just right (a couple hours lol)
Now they are perfect.

I'm having the same issue with the playfield lock rollovers after taking off the playfield protector that I paid to have installed by JJP at the factory. I even hired a professional technician that I use for all of my games (when I can't fix something myself) and he showed me that they can only be adjusted so low by adjusting the leaf switches. You literally can't push them down past a certain point because they hit the mount under the playfield... and they are still too high causing airballs and difficulty hitting certain shots. Does anyone know if they installed different rollovers on the machines that came with the playfield protectors? This is driving me nuts.

LTG Any ideas at all? You seem to know a lot about this machine as I look through this forum.

btw... my Smaug magnet isn't catching like it used too (after a software update) either. This used to be my favorite game to play. It's becoming an expensive night light.

#6962 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Your tech was right.
I'd look into loosening the screws that hold it in place and lower the whole thing a little. Spacers or something.
LTG : )

That's what he was saying, using spacers for the entire mount underneath. I just wonder how is this not happening to every single Hobbit game and not more of a widespread complaint? They definitely generate airballs and cause for quite a disruption to the path of the ball.

#6970 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

There are either none, one or two small washers inside the lock rollover buttons. These were used to help correct the height difference caused by installing a Playfield Protector. If you removed the protector, open up the button and remove one or both washers to bring the height down.

Well, this gives me some hope... I'll check it out when I have a chance. Thanks for the info.

#6971 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Awesome, I'll check tomorrow night

I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to take a look at this. Can you please let me know if you end up finding this to be true? And if so, any pointers. Thanks!

#6981 4 years ago

The switches were not all the same in my case at all and needed individual adjustment.
Just to make them perfect.
Kinda like pop bumpers.
It takes a bit of fiddling, but holds up forever once done.

In my case, no matter how much the leaf switches were bent, the rollover buttons were ultimately stopped by the mount underneath. This was before they were low enough to avoid creating airballs. I was really hoping the "washer in the rollover" was the silver bullet for this issue.

#6985 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am going to correct mine without bending the leaf switch as much as I would need to correct. Washers will be my play

ok, please keep us posted as to how that works out. i think that's the only option i have as well.

5 months later
#7738 4 years ago

I apologize in advance if this is something that's already been mentioned before, but on my machine the kickback strength is quite strong and hits the post above the top flipper every time (post to the right of the vuk). I went into settings and the kickback strength was already at the lowest setting of "6". I couldn't make it any weaker. Is there a different way to control the power of that kickback that I'm not aware of. I would consider myself to be a 5 out of 10 on pinball knowledge so even an obvious answer I'm missing could be the right one. Thanks

#7741 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

One software version long ago had that setting backwards. Try to make it strong and see what happens. If that works, you're probably way behind on software versions.

Hmmm... I just updated it last year to the latest version so I thought I was caught up. But I can double check. Thanks

#7743 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

If that's not it, the outlane rail has a little slop in the screw holes. Loosen them and pull the rail towards the center of the playfield, then retighten. Just a small adjustment will make a difference.

Thanks, I'm on 3.10 so I think I'm good there. The only change I made was removing the factory playfield protector. Maybe that sped the ball up enough to hit the post instead of going into the area above the flipper.

#7748 4 years ago

I’m sure it’s mentioned somewhere, but after searching for 20 mins, I can’t find it. So can someone tell me what to do if Smaug’s mouth stops moving when he talks? I found a post where someone else asked this question but got no answer. After finally dealing with air balls due to rollovers, ramps that were bent in the front, and beasts falling apart... I was starting to love this game again. Yet another issue makes me just want to go back to POTC though. So annoying. Thanks in advance!

#7752 4 years ago

Ive had zero of those issues. Sorry you have had problems.
See if the wire fell off the servo board. Also see if he works in test.
Might just need adjustment.
Lloyd can help with this better I think.

Thanks, he didn’t in test mode. I’ll check the wire.

#7753 4 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

I had a similar issue with Smaug. It turned out to be an issue with the servo horn being out of calibration. Once recalibrated, it worked fine. You can find instructions on how to do this on page E-4 of the manual (http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/Hobbit_Manual%203_4%20November%202018.pdf)

Thanks, I’ll check that too. I’m always amazed out how quick everyone responds in an effort to help. Truly thanks to all. Makes owning pins less stressful lol

#7765 4 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Almost positive it’s the servo motor. I replaced mine by taking Smaug apart a dozen times but gave up after not getting it to work. But I believe many people have replaced their servo motors and have had success. JJP has the motors and the manual clearly shows how to replace. There are also settings in the menu. You can try changing the values and see if that works.
Also, there are numerous posts about Smaug’s mouth.

Times like this is when I want to take a sledgehammer to the game. I just spent two hours following instructions on how to recalibrate the mouth. Take the assembly off... take apart smaug... follow the calibration settings exactly as explained in the manual... put it all back together without breaking anything else... like I'm disarming a bomb... only to test it and have the mouth shut on me during the test and never open again. WTF. I wish these f-ing things would just work for $9000 GD dollars.

Does anyone know if the mouth is supposed to open and close as you're adjusting min mouth and max mouth configurations? Because when I was trying to adjust those values nothing was happening and I'm not sure if it's supposed to opening and closing in real time or not.

#7771 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Yes, when you change the values, press the start button and the mouth will move.

Ok, yeah, mine doesn't do that. Apparently it's completely broken and pooped it's pants at this point. Does anyone know where the right servo motor can be purchased? They don't have any on the JJP site. I created a ticket expressing my frustration. My machine has maybe 300 plays, has had more downtime than uptime, I bought it directly from JJP and it's been in the same place since initial setup. I know it's pinball, but items this expensive should be more reliable, especially HUO. Instead we all have to become mechanical engineers to try and enjoy them. Sorry for venting.

#7773 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

you can buy the servo on Amazon for $20, the link may be in this thread somewhere. the servo motor controls the up/down movement of the mouth. Does your smaug at least move left and right as that is a different motor?

Ok, I'll try looking for that link. Thanks.

Everything else works fine. Mouth just stopped going up and down for some reason.

#7797 4 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Sold out on Amazon. Here is the company that makes them. Looks like you can only get them from overseas right now. But seems worth the price to have a spare for $7.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-hk15288a-analog-servo-bb-mg-9kg-0-20sec-51g.html

Thanks, ordered two of them just in case. I assume it's the right motor since it's the same link referenced in another post below.

#7798 4 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Double and triple check all the wires and connectors. My Smaug’s mouth stopped moving all of a sudden and to make a long story short it was a loose connection behind the main motherboard.

If you have a chance, would it be possible to get a pic of that connection? I went ahead and ordered a couple motors, I'll also try and check the connection you're referring to, and maybe I could also get a response to my ticket from JJP since I don't think I should be trying to figure this out myself in the first place.

#7802 4 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Hopefully this can help, it’s the black and red wires that come from under Smaug and goes to the back of the PC box(big metal box with all the connectors). Make sure they are all connected properly.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for this. I'll take a look this weekend when I have some time.

1 month later
#8020 4 years ago

I've done some searches (here and Google) and I'm not finding instructions on how to change out the drop target springs that were part of the update kit. Can someone point me to a location where that is explained? Do I have to remove the entire drop target assemblies? I finally had one break so I guess it's time to do the spring upgrade. Always afraid to bang around in a pin without knowing exactly what to do. Thanks

#8023 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Depends on where it is, if so just a couple screws hold the whole thing on, easy to lower.

Just replace the one.

These springs have a loop on each end. Un hook each end from drop target and metal bracket. Hook on new spring to drop target and metal bracket.
LTG : )

Thanks as always LTG!

#8024 4 years ago
Quoted from SpinnerAddict:

I figured maybe id get some good feedback here. Deadpool premium for a hobbit smaug se. good trade? I have the deadpool, i also have a mint LOTR and thought Hobbit would look good next to it. Opinions? Thanks in advance

Hobbit for sure. Even though it has driven me crazy at times due to various issues (like right now Smaug's mouth doesn't work and I'm too scared to try and fix it), it's a blast to play. Once you really get it going, and get the mini wizard modes like"Into the Fire", you'll laugh at comparing it to Deadpool. . The sound and theme integration is awesome, and the deep ruleset will keep you coming back over and over. You can attack it differently everytime you play. I like how LOTR and Hobbit look next to each other too.

20180720_165623 (resized).jpg20180720_165623 (resized).jpg
#8042 4 years ago
Quoted from TopTierArcade:

That's awesome! Really shows off both games

Thanks for the compliments. I've set up a similar setting with life-size Dino's for JP Premium whenever I get it from pinball refinery. But yeah, with Hobbit it's added fun when you're playing and look over at a life size Gollum after a successful ring save lol.

#8043 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I've had just shy of 10 million score games several times now. I've literally seen and done all, and I still find myself excited to have a journey
I did a write up on strategy a few pages back you'd benefit from. I wrote from the standpoint of getting through to TABA instead of how to points whore which coincidentally get you to/through the mini wizard modes as well.

Wow, I just had a 2.7 million game and felt like I crushed it. Impressive! I might have to read that write up of yours when I have some time.

1 year later
#9886 3 years ago

I finally got good enough at Hobbit to notice the "weak flippers as gameplay goes on" issue. I think I saw where some of you were installing fans to try and cool flipper coils during gameplay, but has anyone figured out a less invasive/easier solution? Thanks in advance!

#9888 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

I, for one, am ready for the Monk fans!

What is that?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbubbles.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=mrbubbles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.