IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (8 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lukewells.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1154 7 years ago

Hi guys!

Smaug #83 owner reporting for duty.

I'm absolutely loving the game, so much to do, so much challenge, and still loving the 4 pop-ups even after many games

I've found a few issues and bugs with the game (I'll do a video shortly so I can pass the info onto JJP)

My 2 biggest issues are :-

1) The wireform that returns to the far left outlane is terrible and does not reliably return the ball, it often either drops the ball on the side, or bounces it over the stop post (thus getting a ball drain instead of starting a mode quite often) - I've spent much time tweaking it, but it's just not working reliably, it's very flawed and should have been made with sides, like the other wireforms. Anyone know if JJP are making a fix for this, as long term it is going to be the most frustrating thing about the game.

2) After a few minutes of play, my playfield LED's will "lockup" and they will not return to normal operation until I have turned the power off and on again. What I mean by this is that the LED's will lock-on in random positions and random colours and stay stuck like that. Originally I thought it might be a software issue as it happened infrequently, but now it is happening all the time. Anyone any ideas? I have already re-seated all the cables to the usb board, and all the LED driver boards under the playfield, as well as the leads going back to the computer. Additionally, when the LED's lock up, I have tried jiggling the loom about, and it doesn't change, so it's not related to any lose connection as far as I can tell

Cheers guys

Luke

#1156 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Send in a repair ticket to get the new wireform, or get it from your distributor.
Contact JJP about the lock-ups this is not what most are experiencing, It may be bad power or an extension cord?

There is a new wireform then? Not seen any info about this

Thanks

Luke

#1160 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

My hobbit has it but not the new pop up fix. It works great.

Could you post a photo please buddy?

1 week later
#1332 7 years ago

So things are not going the best with my Hobbit so far.

I'd like to make it clear, that I still do think it is a fantastic game (in theory) but there are a lot of annoyances making the ownership experience not so good right now. I documented a bunch of them in video below, is there a good way to share this info with JJP so they can look at addressing some of the issues?

1) Coils melting
There is clearly a bug with the pop-ups. If the switch triggers multiple times (because the "troll" target switches a little shoddy and vibrate back and forth quickly, even after multiple attempts to adjust them) then it keeps pulsing the power to the coils (so it seems) Eventually the coil melts, it's hard to tell there is even anything wrong, until it’s too late and you have a pop-up error it won't go down anymore.
My Warg melted after 24 games, and my Orc melted after 125 games. There should be a safety timeout in the software at the very least to stop it melting coils.

2) Balls falling off the far left wireform all the time.
This one seems like such a bad design, no idea why it doesn’t have sides like the other wireforms, which would make it so much more reliable. Trying to adjust this wireform perfectly is so frustrating. On mine, the ramp is bad and has a lip which causes the ball to ski-ramp off the wireform, over the ball save post, and down the drain

3) Ball hangups
On pretty much every machine I own, there are little clear plastics attached with angle brackets (either from the factory – or as operator service kits) that deflect balls away from areas in which they can get stuck. On Hobbit, there are a few places where the ball can hang (and have happened to me a few times) so it looks like we need some deflectors to fix them (I have some photos of ball hangs) I think they are made worse by the popups and drop targets sometimes launching the balls in the air.

4) Inability to “rescue” a ball mid game.
On most pins, you can “pause” by opening the coin door, removing the glass and then returning a stuck ball to the shooter lane (especially important in competitions) but on the Hobbit, when you close the coin door (in order to be able to put the glass back on) it immediately fires the ball out, so you can never save them.

5) Playfield lamps “freeze” or crash
During a long game, the playfield lamps will eventually freeze up (some on, some off) and will not return to working until the game is power cycled. I have been told to try swapping the USB cable ports, so I will try this when my game is working again.

6) Parts breaking or falling off
I am collecting a small number of screws of unknown origin in the bottom of my cab, again I am only on 125 plays, so this should not be happening already. Additionally I am finding bits of broken clear plastic appearing in the bottom of the cab (see video) - the source of these is the pop-up mechs, there is a clear plastic U shaped light guide under all the popups, these are clearly not strong enough and are smashing to bits. My first one dropped broken pieces into the bottom of the cab in less than 24 games. This part needs replacing/upgrading on all 4 targets

7) Lights crash if you perform a GI test
After a GI test, playfield lamps will not work at all until the game is power cycled. This is of course a minor issue for software.

8 ) Can’t set the time.
No matter how many times I re-set the time to the correct time in the menu’s next time I check , the time has changed +/- 2 hours. The minutes are always right but the hours change themselves and are never right.

9) Can’t properly disable broken features
If something breaks (see melted coils above) you can disable some of the mechanisms in settings, but there is no broken feature compensation, therefor, the game cannot be played properly and advanced to Into the Fire etc. This is more noticeable on my machine due to the length of time it has spent with popups not working, so therefor not fully playable

10) Rails under playfield do not line up
The rails (with black rubber stoppers) were clearly designed to line up with and “stop” on the lock down bar mech, but the rails miss the mech and are instead leaning on the cab. The problem with this is that it is going to over time damage the front of the cabinet

11) The popups can swallow a ball if they drop down when a ball is at the front (I understand this is going to be fixed)

Obviously these issues are of different levels of importance, but I would like to see some of the more frustrating problems resolved sooner rather than later. I’ve not had much dealing with JJP so far, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume they will fix things for now (unlike a certain other pinball manufacturer that is completely incapable of dealing with feedback)

Video links :-

#1345 7 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:Can't believe I am saying this but unlike Stern JJP should make it right. So disheartened by Sterns lack of reaction to the Newer games ghosting.

Yep, most people are positive about JJP fixing issues, so as I say, I will give them the benefit of the doubt that it will all get resolved in time.

I know all about Stern's attitude towards their customers

#1347 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Sorry to hear about all these problems, they will all be sorted out JJP is a good company.
Definitely you need some support and replacement parts from JJP.
On the left wireform:
This has been a problem from the beginning. See my hobbit tweaks thread for some info on this:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-setup-tweaks-and-adjustments
With a little patience and some bending (bend the loop up a bit) I got mine working pretty good.
Fortunately JJP has a redesigned wire-form available now, or add a post and bend the loop up.
There is an upgrade kit coming very soon to fix the ball traps in the creature mechs. Fill out a repair ticket on the JJP support site.
There will also be some drop target springs and maybe replacement ramp flaps for those that are curling.
You definitely need to contact JJP or your distributor I think about the software lock-ups.
Version 1.3+ is available real soon.
I had a lot of loosened screws after about 250 plays.
So I went over the entire game and tightened and wood-glued in any that were super loose.
I also had to tighten the flipper coil stop screws and added a drop of blue locktite, so far so good.
I just checked my work after another 200 plays and everything has stabilised, no more loose screws.
Im not sure about the little clear plastic switch support in the creature mechs. Yours are definitely cracking or were installed to tightly? Or were too brittle and from a bad batch????
Or it may be that the U-clips? cracked from vibration during the long ride to the UK. The heads would bobble and bounce a lot during an extended journey.
Im going to check mine tonight and see if there is anything wrong.
JJP will probably send you some, but you will have to pull the all the affected mechs again to replace them, that sucks.
I also noticed that the hobbit PF support rails were set quite a bit wider than the lock bar mech, and barely settle where they should. As you said this is trivial, one could probably rework the supports and bend them in a bit, but its trivial.

It certainly sounds like I need to go over the whole under-playfield and tighten everything up. Not sure why there is a such a big problem with lose screws on these, as it is affecting local people as well, not just people that have had them shipped long distances.

My wireform is defective, as it does have 2 prongs that stick out too far (on the main two straights that the ball runs down) so I don't think any amount of adjusting mine will make it 100%, so needs a replacement.

I am interested to know if others are having the cracked plastics under the beast mechs, it can't just be me surely.

Also I have not heard of others getting melted coils as of yet?

#1348 7 years ago

I played v1.30p tonight.

I have to say there are certainly some improvements in the right direction and love that they are adding new features.

Nice to see the magnet lock being used now

"Hey why is the left orbit green, it doesn't normally do that"

+1 Ball on next mode

"Oh cool multiball modes!"

Just needs a fanfare adding to it now

I noticed that when I have the final lock lit, you can change the lock rollovers from red to green, so I imagine that does something related to the final lock, but I have not managed to light all 4 red yet, so will have to wait and see

As they are adding more multiball modes, I would however like to see them separate out the main multiball and beast multiball, or make beast progressively harder to get. It seems so easy to stack on beast multi-ball from the main multi-ball (and vice versa) so I always seem to have both running at the same time, which can make it feel a little over the top on the multiballs.

I noted the following minor bugs on 1.30p during my tests

1) If you right drain during the ball save timer, you can get both the automatic ball saver and the Gollum ball save chance at the same time.

2) If you have load arrows and are getting ready to hit the ring button for the skillshot, and a mode ends, it stops showing the skillshot so you can no longer achieve it

3) Some of the speech keeps repeating in a loop still "he says we'll blunt the knives, he says we'll blunt the knives" and "turn around don't come back, "turn around don't come back, "turn around don't come back" etc

There was another, but I forgot now, so never mind.

#1359 7 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

Just saw Jacks announcmemt regarding fixes on youtube. I think it's great that they really care about the machine and the customers.
» YouTube video

It's all good news until he tells you that if you have the bad wireforms, you need to pay for a new one......

I'm fairly sure it's not my fault that my game was shipped with a bad wireform now is it?

#1397 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I don't own hobbit. But I get the reasoning for charging for the wireform and have no problem with it. It could be worse, could have to pay for a color rom for the display

Can you share the reason then? It seems unfair, that just because I was assigned a lower serial number Smaug, I get the defective ramp, and people who were assigned a higher serial number Smaug get the re-designed ramp.

IF the original ramps are just fine, then they would not have re-designed them mid run

It's a bit of a kick in the teeth with all the other problems I have been having over such a short period of time.

I think it's important to note, while someone in the US might think "hey it's only 89 bucks", as I am in the UK, the extortionate shipping costs, plus customs fee, plus import duty would end up with the wireform costing $160-180

#1417 7 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

At first I had to agree, but then I did realize that they will send you a bumper to replace the screw with to keep the ball from going off the ramp. This fixes the problem and you don't have to pay for it so thats good.

You've missed some of the previous posts about my ramp, installing a bumper will not fix the problem at all, I would need to take a grinder to my wireform as others have suggested to grind off the nubs that are sticking out and causing the ball to jump over the stop post

#1419 7 years ago

BTW who's done Barrel escape now? Very exciting! All the adrenaline of Into the Fire, but with different objectives (and like the blue colour scheme)

#1474 7 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Get the Rad Cals! The look phenomenal!

I agree, they look so much better than regular paper printed sideart

#1475 7 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

It looks like your broken part at 1:12 is from a guide shown at 3:50. I'm curious if you have increased the flipper strength beyond the factory default? I've read a lot of folks are doing this and I'm concerned that excess flipper strength could cause damage in a variety of ways. I'm also wondering if it is possible that a loose screw could have fallen onto the coil and shorted it out?

Standard flipper settings (can just about make the ramps with a clean shot - but I prefer a more difficult setting like that)
The broken guides happened before 24 plays, so they really are not up to the job

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.50
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lukewells.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=lukewells and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.