IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lschmidlin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3215 6 years ago

Just bought a WOZ and loving it so much that it is making me think about The Hobbit. Love TH theme and artwork, but have limited play on it. I know it is a very different game from WOZ, but if it is filled with the same JJ innovation and awesomeness, I would likely love it.

Am wondering what you guys (the owner group!) think overall, especially compared to WOZ. I know TH is limited on toys and that it is perhaps more of a 'battle' game as compared to the overall game play of WOZ, but would love your insight.

Comes down to two questions, I guess:

1 - Is there the same JJ innovation in TH as WOZ? When you first bought it, were you guys learning new game play and thinking, 'Wow, that is cool! Can't believe they thought to do that...'
2 - Should I do it? ha ha

#3238 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Just bought a WOZ and loving it so much that it is making me think about The Hobbit. Love TH theme and artwork, but have limited play on it. I know it is a very different game from WOZ, but if it is filled with the same JJ innovation and awesomeness, I would likely love it.
Am wondering what you guys (the owner group!) think overall, especially compared to WOZ. I know TH is limited on toys and that it is perhaps more of a 'battle' game as compared to the overall game play of WOZ, but would love your insight.
Comes down to two questions, I guess:
1 - Is there the same JJ innovation in TH as WOZ? When you first bought it, were you guys learning new game play and thinking, 'Wow, that is cool! Can't believe they thought to do that...'
2 - Should I do it? ha ha

Just ordered an LE. Super excited. Thanks for your help everyone.

1 week later
#3284 6 years ago

Just arrived yesterday!

Need to take the box off. Sorry if this has already been addressed (the thread is 66 pages long!) but any thoughts on how to remove the backbox??

I did it with WOZ a few weeks ago and there were some awesome instructions here on pinside. Probably fairly similar but wanted to ask before I attack it.

Thanks!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#3314 6 years ago

Hi guys – still learning my newly-arrived LE and loving it, but two quick questions.

1) is there any way to delay the shoot out from Windlance when starting a mode? I looked in the settings and do not see it. Being new to the game I would love to delay the ball there as I read the mode rules on the display. To fire it myself using the Ring Button would be awesome.

2) is there really not a status update for your game when holding the flipper? Yes, the display shows a lot of where you are in the game – but there's nothing like a good status report. JJP hit it out of the park on WOZ – showing your game status on a rules map. Was really surprised to not see the same (awesome) feature on TH. What do you guys think?

#3320 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Email jjp via their support portal and register as the new owner, request to be added to the jjp group forum.
You should upgrade to the official 1.90 release, but also to 1.95 via the forum. Reserve ball feature is very nice.
You can also request the free update kit, assuming it's never been given for your game, which has the new ramp flaps and the beast pop up plastics. I have the old ramp flaps on my game and they are curling slightly, but not enough to affect ball travel so I haven't​ replaced them.

What is revision 1.95? I am thinking that's a work-in-progress revision that they only released on the JJP forum? Just a guess on my end! Interested to hear – thanks.

#3327 6 years ago

Thanks @backalleymatt! Match Smaug's gold perfectly. Great job!

#3359 6 years ago

Still learning my newly arrived LE (and loving it) – have read the posts about the backstab but still don't understand it. Is the diverter supposed to come down? Mine does not.

It seems weird to hit backstab then try and go up the ramp just to hit the beast on the backside – when you could've more easily just got him from the front. What's the purpose? Are there more points? Do you guys use this?

I love a good skill shot but this one just seems too weird. Would love your insight. Thanks.

1 week later
#3401 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Still learning my newly arrived LE (and loving it) – have read the posts about the backstab but still don't understand it. Is the diverter supposed to come down? Mine does not.
It seems weird to hit backstab then try and go up the ramp just to hit the beast on the backside – when you could've more easily just got him from the front. What's the purpose? Are there more points? Do you guys use this?
I love a good skill shot but this one just seems too weird. Would love your insight. Thanks.

Hi guys – I hate to keep asking the same question but that's how much this is bugging me! Ha ha. Just don't understand the backstab. Someone said it is like a MM troll bomb, but I'm not sure that's the case. A troll bomb registers a hit. When I hit backstab it literally does nothing.

Take a look at my original post if you can shed some light on what is probably a cool feature that I just can't figure out!

Thanks.

#3407 6 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

I think I have it figured out. In every firmware before 1.90 backstab would kill a beast if I had a fully powered ring. Meaning if one pops up and you miss it, you can quickly hit backstab and it would register a hit. Ever since 1.90 though, it has not worked. It would reliably work for me before, and now after the update it doesn't do anything, from forwards or backwards. I'm sure it's just a bug that will be fixed, just like reverse power windlance.

Sounds right. I thought there was more to it – but I only had the game a week before installing 1.9. We'll wait and see. Thanks for your reply.

#3420 6 years ago

Hi guys – any thoughts on how to stop the ball from getting trapped above the gate? The ball sits on the plastic and I have to take the glass out every time. Seems like there should be a post mounted on the plastic. Thanks.

IMG_9347 (resized).JPGIMG_9347 (resized).JPG

#3427 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I don't understand where the ball is getting stuck, and I don't see the ball in your picture. Can you elaborate and/or post a picture that shows the stuck ball please?

Thanks for asking. Wasn't 100% sure myself that the post made sense! Ha ha. Anyway here's a picture of where the ball gets stuck. Happens all the time. Seems like a perfect ball trap that should've been caught when designing the game.

I could drill through the plastic and install a post, but hate to do that obviously. Any suggestions? Thanks!

IMG_9353 (resized).JPGIMG_9353 (resized).JPG

#3440 6 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on the ball getting stuck. Solid suggestions. I will tone down the game a bit because it is likely coming from air balls.

Also like the idea of a removable adhesive and will experiment with that.

But I also have to say the idea of leaving the ball there and just putting another one in the game is genius! A little bit of pinball art inside the game! And trust me, that ball is going nowhere when it sitting there.

Weird it's not a common problem though – it looks like such a trap for the ball. I thought my post would be filled with a bunch of 'me too'. So the good news is that it's not a common problem and if I tone down the game a bit it'll likely take care of it. Removable adhesive will be next.

Thanks again guys!

1 month later
#3682 6 years ago

I didn't know you can cancel beast multiball. Super glad about that. I feel there is too much going on between Smaug multiball, starting a mode, and going into Beast multiball. Yes, I can keep up fairly well and know what's going on – but still feel it's too much at one time. And it's certainly not a matter of not liking the game – I friggin' love TH.

Glad you asked the question!

#3701 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Hi guys – any thoughts on how to stop the ball from getting trapped above the gate? The ball sits on the plastic and I have to take the glass out every time. Seems like there should be a post mounted on the plastic. Thanks.

Hated to drill into the plastic of my most-favorite-game, but finally got around to it. Installed a post today. That ball ain't getting stuck no more!

So prevelent in my machine, I can't understand how it's not a common problem. Seems like a natural ball trap. Glad it's not for you guys though!

IMG_9833 (resized).JPGIMG_9833 (resized).JPG

IMG_9832 (resized).JPGIMG_9832 (resized).JPG

#3706 6 years ago

Pitch is fairly low at just about 5°. I never really looked before to be honest – but just downloaded a pitch app and laid the phone in the playfield. Registered 5.08.

The game doesn't seem to play overly fast and I'm not really sure how the ball got there so many times. My best guess is perhaps off the back of the right wire form, but not really sure.

But honestly, happened all the time. I don't think my flipper coils or other coils are too strong either. Game seems to play really well in all other aspects. Weird…

#3737 6 years ago

Just discovered the custom graphic in the utilities menu. Fear the Shar-Pei bulldozing mode!

IMG_9875 (resized).JPGIMG_9875 (resized).JPG

#3743 6 years ago

My particular jump drive would not allow the foward slash as part of the root menu. So I just named the file pinballimages. The machine found it right away and accepted it.

Going to experiment with it later today (having a pinball party tomorrow!). It accepted both images on the jump drive but only shows one of them during Attract. So not sure if the custom graphics are limited to one image, despite downloading both. And when I go back to the utility menu, neither are there.

So it appears to accept multiple images, but only shows the first. Once downloaded they are in the system and unable to be viewed or selected. Could be wrong but that's what I'm seeing at the moment.

1 month later
#3885 6 years ago

Love this thread. Just saying.

#3889 6 years ago
Quoted from AbeVigoda:

I thought » YouTube video did a pretty good job of explaining it.

Outstanding. Really needed that! Thanks for the video. Stopped the video short of hitting between the scales though. Can't see what happens when I kill Smaug until I do it for myself!

Wish it would show which Smaug MB stage you're in in the upper left display though.

Anyway, thanks again!

1 week later
#3913 6 years ago

GravitaR Why the down vote? Was simply trying to get our love of The Hobbit out to bunch people that were bashing it.

The thread was about people expressing disappointment with themes. Star Wars and The Hobbit where the top two. I went in and defended TH. Hmmmm, not sure why you wouldn't agree with that if you're part of this group.

1 week later
#3952 6 years ago

Mine spins off the right wireform all the time too and onto the playfield. Thanks for the thorough instructions. Gonna try it again – but it's so scary! Feels like I'm going to snap the dang thing in half.

#3960 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Anybody else?

Yes. The ball sits on the dropped E target and I stand there cringing because I know it's about to find it during the ball search and smack the glass. Not sure if I can raise the dropped targets up just a millimeter or so.

#3962 6 years ago

So you're saying I should've looked before I posted? Ha ha. Thanks Lloyd. Good to know exactky what to look for when I get tired of cringing and actually lift the playfield!

2 weeks later
#4017 6 years ago

I posted this on the JJP Facebook site – but was worth sharing with my brotheren here!

Again, more innovation that just blows me away. I was working on WOZ and noticed that the playfield lights are coordinated with the logo images. Haven't checked my Hobbit, but I'm sure it's the same. Crazy.

IMG_0433 (resized).JPGIMG_0433 (resized).JPG

IMG_0435 (resized).JPGIMG_0435 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#4188 6 years ago

Getting ready for my party tomorrow night. These games never cease to amaze me.

IMG_0848 (resized).JPGIMG_0848 (resized).JPG

IMG_0849 (resized).JPGIMG_0849 (resized).JPG

#4190 6 years ago

Not sure what critics cut is either!

The scroll message is just simply the custom message under utilities.

You can also download one personal picture to your game. I have my dog in there. His picture pops up during the attract mode. Doesn't really go with the game but still funny.

IMG_0853 (resized).JPGIMG_0853 (resized).JPG

2 months later
#4365 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I added the Lermods back panel gold lightning, florescent green plastic protectors

Looks fantastic. Congratulations. How do you like the Lermods lighting? I'm seriously considering it. Think your gold looks incredible.

Also where did you get the green plastic protectors? Thanks!

Great job!

#4368 6 years ago

Ring kit from Flip n Out. Before, during, after.

IMG_1533 (resized).JPGIMG_1533 (resized).JPG
IMG_1536 (resized).JPGIMG_1536 (resized).JPG
IMG_1535 (resized).JPGIMG_1535 (resized).JPG

#4369 6 years ago

Since it's mod show-n-tell day, here's a shooter rod that a buddy made for me. Yes, it's a little dangerous walking by - ha ha - but worth it.

His website if anyone is interested: https://www.pinballshooterrods.com

IMG_1543 (resized).JPGIMG_1543 (resized).JPG

#4387 6 years ago

Me finally watching the trilogy this past week after owning the machine for a year.

IMG_1558 (resized).JPGIMG_1558 (resized).JPG

#4390 6 years ago

I did not watch the extended versions but still have the bonus DVDs to go!

Agreed, so many stand out scenes. Gandolf at the rock, for certain. Thorin pushing the stone door, Smaug breathkng fire, Bilbo running down the steps...we could go on and on...

Love the start button call outs too. So, this is the hobbit, etc.

Another cool thing is to see the titles of the modes. A lot of them are actually the scene titles.

Didn't think I could love the machine any more…

2 months later
#4723 5 years ago

I am such a terrible player. Been doing nothing for the last week but trying to kill Smaug. As much as I love all the modes, I'm giving up on them all until I kill this dang dragon. Not even close.

And I love the fact that everybody's kept it a secret as to what happens. They just say it's awesome with no detail.

#4755 5 years ago

Any suggestions on the final shot to kill Smaug? After making it my mission the past few weeks, I can get to the final shot and load the Windlance. I need some advice from here. Any strategy?

Do you trap the other balls in play and just try and work with the Windlance ball?

After the Windlance fires, it seems like I have just a second or two to make the shot. Then it re-sets the MAN targets, right? Maybe once the Windlance fires, I can also fire the balls trapped in the lower right flipper to try and get Smaug. (??)

Does the Windlance Fire automatically if you don't hit the ring button within a second or two? Think it did that but not sure.

Gotta get this guy!!!! Thanks.

1 month later
#4928 5 years ago

Who's excited for tomorrow?

IMG_2434 (resized).JPGIMG_2434 (resized).JPG
#4971 5 years ago

Incredible update of course. Congrats to Keith and team. Many things I love about it, but two questions:

1: Is there a way to have the ring button not flash? Don't see it in Settings. Makes sense for it to flash when you're going after points, such as purple. Does not make sense to flash when it's simply an option, such as to postpone your lock or mode. Wish there was an option to make it solid during these times. It's a bit distracting to be flashing all the time.

2: Also not sure why one mode is already qualified at the start of the game. Again, I don't see the option to turn this off. Would rather qualify for Bilbo/Gandalf/man/dwarf, etc, than to have one mode automatically enabled at the start of the game.

Might be missing the settings of course.

And yes, hope and suspect that Smaug talking to us at the end of the game will come back. Maybe a glitch in the update that wasn't caught? I can't imagine they took it out intentionally.

But again, super excited for the update!

#4975 5 years ago

My machine got stuck on the purple screen when rebooting after the update. I let it go for about 10 minutes to be certain then rebooted. After that, It was fine.

5 months later
#6020 5 years ago

Installed $13 LED strips from Amazon on the backbox. Created the soft glow effect that I wanted for little money. Just wanted to pass that little piece of pinball magic along…

IMG_3584 (resized).JPGIMG_3584 (resized).JPGIMG_3587 (resized).JPGIMG_3587 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#6117 5 years ago

Downloaded the full 3.0 install tonight. Yes, it's awesome. But so sad to see the ending LED sequence changed. Was the coolest thing ever to see Smaug breathe fire over the playfield. Must've shown it to every last friend and family member - it was that cool! The sequence has been changed to just a bunch of random lights.

Why oh why would they remove the coolest lighting feature in any machine ever? Please tell me there's a setting!

#6125 5 years ago

Hey guys – I'm having a New Year's eve party for my pinball league tonight. Didn't know about the Smaug mb shut down bug when I installed 3.0 last night.

How rare is it? Should I expect it to happen? If it happens once, will it continue to happen through the night? Played a few games last night and it seemed fine.

Darn, looks like 2.0 is off the website and I'm sure I don't have it on my computer any longer. I guess just having you guys help me understand what to expect will help me to take a deep breath. Thanks!

#6127 5 years ago

Relief! Thank you. I'm always touting The Hobbit as the best pinball machine ever to my friends. And the more they play it, the more they tend to love it. So I just want her to be a shining jewel tonight! Thanks for the response.

#6136 5 years ago

Party went great. Thanks for the encouragement. No 3.0 issues at all. They even called The Hobbit as the last game at 2 AM!

2 months later
#6756 5 years ago

Love when a mod looks like it was supposed to be there all along. #ModFather.

IMG_4678 (resized).JPGIMG_4678 (resized).JPGIMG_4693 (resized).JPGIMG_4693 (resized).JPG
#6757 5 years ago

PS. Super happy with the quality. I think it's hand-painted (not sure) but the detail is really good.

IMG_4696 (resized).JPGIMG_4696 (resized).JPG
2 months later
#7027 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I wish I knew of a way to get them quieter too - I just live with it ...

When I first heard it I was surprised as well. And my friends always comment on it. But now that I've had the game so long it has just become a part of it. I actually think I would miss it if it was gone – ha ha.

Like other nuances in many of the games that we have, it's just an aspect of that particular game. Maybe take a deep breath and just try and accept it as part of the game that we love so much.

2 years later
#11290 1 year ago

Did I kill Smaug? I think so but honestly don’t know - its an insane (multi) multiball. Was hoping the status report would tell me, but it didn’t. Here’s what happened: I was there. Gandalf announced Kill Smaug and sure enough the left upper display showed the same. The ‘scale target’ was illuminated. I made the shot from a lower flipper and there was a lot of white strobes and dramatic sound effects, but Beast multiball was still going so I couldn’t look up. It’s not like the machine ever shut down to help me celebrate. I finished the multiball and everything was back to normal. Upon the next Smaug multiball, the jackpots were at their lower level again. So I must’ve done it, right? But it sure didn’t feel like the celebratory event that I keep hearing about. Would love to hear your thoughts. Did I do it? Is it better if the simultaneous multiballs are turned off? I wanted to celebrate and instead I was like, ‘what the heck just happened’?

55997E56-2917-4C7E-B7E6-70DB3DB1A0E3 (resized).jpeg55997E56-2917-4C7E-B7E6-70DB3DB1A0E3 (resized).jpeg
#11293 1 year ago

Very good. Thanks guys! Can’t believe I was RIGHT THERE and didn’t do it! Guess I really didn’t make the shot like I thought. But I scored Grand Champ and also finally got into Barrel Race, so I was excited about that. Thanks for reading and letting me know – I’ll keep at it!!

1 month later
#11356 1 year ago

Finally killed Smaug. Laughing at myself though because I’ve owned this game since new-in-box and it took me 11 minutes over 9 (!!) multi-balls to do it. Ha ha. But got ‘er done and Grand Champed it at 2.5M which is good for me. But seriously, 9 multi-balls?!?! Yeah, I need to practice . Was awesome though. Reaper802

5975D432-EF01-4668-9926-035CEAD0EE24 (resized).jpeg5975D432-EF01-4668-9926-035CEAD0EE24 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 25.50
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lschmidlin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=lschmidlin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.