Topic Stats

• 8,739 posts
  • 550 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by JonCrox
  • Topic is favorited by 203 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,236 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6122 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6123 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6124 (resized).jpeg
2FE551A5-986D-433C-85C9-1A316DF1790F (resized).jpeg
217CD8C6-D50A-409F-BBEB-E2F2091FC6D4 (resized).jpeg
B4B12DBD-20CA-4F80-A069-ADCE3C2B3591 (resized).jpeg
20200529_181026 (resized).jpg
unnamed (resized).jpg
20200523_233442 (resized).jpg
20200426_203106 (resized).jpg
20200503_212629 (resized).jpg
HardwareInfo (resized).JPG
EventLog2 (resized).JPG
EventLog1 (resized).JPG
94036891_227544948479728_2537443107696279552_n (resized).jpg
WIN_20200421_11_00_07_Pro (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (4 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by Troz (4 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (4 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (4 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (4 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (4 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (3 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (3 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jorant.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8022 5 months ago

As someone interested in getting a Hobbit, can anyone direct me to a site that may discuss all the modes? I hear they're quite different than just "shot flashing shots." Anyone care to elaborate?

#8026 5 months ago
Quoted from jfaulkner56:

Hobbit for sure. Even though it has driven me crazy at times due to various issues (like right now Smaug's mouth doesn't work and I'm too scared to try and fix it), it's a blast to play. Once you really get it going, and get the mini wizard modes like"Into the Fire", you'll laugh at comparing it to Deadpool. . The sound and theme integration is awesome, and the deep ruleset will keep you coming back over and over. You can attack it differently everytime you play. I like how LOTR and Hobbit look next to each other too. [quoted image]

Holy effing crap, look at that room!!!!

1 month later
#8114 3 months ago

Just joined the club. Super impressed by the game. I was afraid pop ups would come up too much, but if anything they don't pop up enough. Lol. Very very impressed by the software and general presentation of this game. Very much not a game for a public location, but almost demands a home environment to enjoy properly.

20200204_151441 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#8139 3 months ago
Quoted from pinlink:

OK so you don't get to TABA after completing the Arkenstone modes. That is a bummer, seems like you should get something for it.

You get.... points. I can't imaging getting all three (super hard to do). You also gotta be sure to bring in a good mode into each. Just getting to them doesn't mean diddly.

#8151 3 months ago

Definitely the worst part of this game is the absolute LUCK to get the ball to roll over the outside lanes to help start beast frenzy. Wish there was a way to change this somehow.

#8154 3 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I do this a lot.
It was hard at first but easy if you practise it.
The shatz shot

I've debated that. I don't think I posses that level of skill.

#8157 3 months ago

I just did the shatzing and it totally helped. I just wrecked this game. Thank you!

20200217_215926 (resized).jpg
#8188 3 months ago

The mechs fire in the test menu when you close the door. You can highlight one, then close the coin door and they go up. There may be a better more correct way, but that's what I've seen. Is that possibly what is happening?

2 weeks later
#8282 87 days ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I've been thinking about selling my Hobbit LE, but don't know if my wife would let me as I would like a Dialed in.....Game only has about 120 plays or less. HUO.

Get both. Both crazy different gameplay.

#8285 87 days ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

You guys like DI or Hobbit better? @ Jorant too.

Owning them both, if someone put a gun to my head and asked me to choose, I would say Dialed In. But you can play Hobbit in different ways and the software is better. I mean, overall presentation wise Hobbit is better, but shooting Dialed In is so smooth with just an alarming amount of toys in the game. It is super fun. Good luck.

#8287 86 days ago

I'll tell you this about Hobbit. You are IN that game. The way they made the game, it feels like you're doing all the things they say you're doing. You're fighting smaug. You're escaping from all these perils. You have to save people, search for answers. You are very much on this adventure. This isn't just some theme they slap on the game because pinball games "need a theme." The integration of theme is amazing. BM66 like.

One game I love: Stern Star Trek, is awesome. But those modes? I don't FEEL like I'm doing those things the game says. I'm just playing it. Still love the game. But I'm not in the game. Not the Hobbit. Damn fine coding and theme.

#8302 83 days ago

So I have some questions about the ring button.

I know it is used to select your skill shot when gold. I know when red or green it enables you to postpone modes and locks. I know you use it to launch the ball to hit the man targets and load the windlance.

But I discovered it turning purple and hit it. I used to hate hitting it too much so I didnt lose charge for the gollum save light. But i just had a game where it lit purple a LOT. I never noticed that every time you do it, the value goes up by 100 points. I was scoring over 5k a tap at the end of my game.... what triggers this? I feel it is when you're doing something in modes. I just dont know what.

Bonus question: what does it mean when it flashes yellow and it says "light the horn?" I am baffled by this one as well.

#8303 83 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I payed $6700.00 for Smaug in Michigan with Radcals and plastic protectors and blades. I would have payed $6800.00. But it didn't have the updates either. And I see a lot of people asking $7,000.00 for a HUO Stern Prem, not a LE which would be more typically.

I paid 7400 (shipped) for a gold smaug edition with a few upgrades (protectors, mods), lightly used, if this helps gauge things.

#8305 82 days ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Left middle of the screen tells you what the ring button will give you. Purple is good and points.

I know.... I'm asking what the horn does and how do I light the purple ring button. Just switch hits during modes I guess? Still baffled by what "light the horn" means.

#8309 82 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

LOL!!
Trying to read that display while playing is a challenge!

Lol. Well that explains it! Lol. Not sure what that does, either.

Edit: got it now.

2 weeks later
#8367 62 days ago

Finally got to the Battle of the Five Armies wizard mode today. This game is so effing good.

#8387 61 days ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I made it through Battle of the Five Armies (didn't complete it) and was really excited to see what happens the next time you light the Arkenstone. I was pretty disappointed to see that you just start over with Into the Fire. I feel like it should light There And Back Again for the 4th stone. LOVE the game otherwise.

I mean, let's say they did that.... what would you get for finishing all the modes? I feel this is the proper depth.

#8392 61 days ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Anybody else have a problem with mental or physical stamina while playing this game? Personally, I often have marathon games and after a long while, I have trouble maintaining my attention on the objectives and just start spraying the ball towatds lighted inserts and targets. Also, my hands start slipping on the lockdown bar and my legs get spongy.

Hell no. It seems like I'm always one ball flip from death in this game. Also, there is always a million thing to aim for.

Quoted from Goronic:

Also, I am not sure if there is a Smaug laughing part in any of the movies. I would love him to laugh if you drain and Smaug MB is lit. That would be so awesome.

Nothing jolly about Smaug. Never laughs at all. Just a giant asshole the entire movie.

#8424 57 days ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Hobbit is still getting crushed vs TS which is an absolute joke. Just way too much hate out there for Hobbit from the early days of code.

While I agree that may be why it is being beat, I'm not even mad. The Shadow is an awesome game. Both awesome pins.

#8450 51 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Whirlwind beats Hobbit!
Now I've see it all.

Who cares. Whirlwind is garbage compared to hobbit. Let people keep under apreciating this amazing game.

#8484 46 days ago
Quoted from Daditude:

He did not take a crack at you.

Lloyd was pretty blatant in his post. "It's very tricky," then later saying, "still with me?" The epitome of condescending. And then to say, after all that nonsense, that he didnt think english was his first language? What kind of apology/excuse is that? A bad one. But then again, maybe english isn't Lloyds first language?

Edit: guys, I'm defending someone I don't even know and you're downvoting me?

#8499 44 days ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Is the Smaug magnet that grabs the ball before it falls down next to him and into the subway supposed to grab the ball everytime?

When your orbits are lit green, they are ready to add a ball to your modes, making them (usually) easier to complete. You make them green by lighting your multi ball locks for smaug. If your orbits aren't green, they will always pass on by, ripping both spinners.

#8504 43 days ago
Quoted from Breger1:

Does anyone know how battle of 5 armies is completed? I got to stage 6, I believe it is..the one with 99 shots. I then beat that and had repeat shots on right ramp of high value. I assumed this was victory laps as it was saying super jackpots, or was this another stage? I sure hope I beat as that 99 shot stage I’ve never beat. Thanks for the help

Wow. I've only gotten there one time, never mind beaten the damn thing. Impressive.

#8529 39 days ago

Congrats man. Love the game. It gets panned by many people that haven't played it at all/enough. It looks as if it empty and yet it is packed full. Very deceiving looking machine. Many of those that have really truly played it find the game awesome!

#8531 38 days ago
Quoted from coloradodan:

Thanks Jorant! This thing is ridiculous... I'm not sure how much I'll be playing Star Wars pinball now, I cant believe how great this table is. Blown away.

Lots of rules to this game. Took me a few weeks of playing to even ealize I was throwing points away by not hitting the button every time it was lit purple.

When in modes, switch hits often charge the ring button up for free points, starting at 1000. Sure 1000 points isn't a lot, but at the end of a good game, that ring button will be worth 5 or 6 thousand points a hit (it goes up 100 points every time you cash it out). Makes it tricky to be in a mode/multiball combo and having to take your hands off the flipper buttons to cash in your points. Super fun strategy.

#8533 38 days ago
Quoted from MMGB:

Wow! I’ve owned Hobbit for 3 years and didn’t know about the increasing ring button value strategy! Thanks for sharing. Luv this game.

Next time you play, watch for it to turn purple. Hit it. I have yet to see the value top out! At the end of your game, each hit will be more than most jackpots if you stay on top of cashing them out on time.

#8537 38 days ago
Quoted from Lermods:

it's mainly used for the smaug kill shot. I find it easier to hold a ball on the right flipper, load the windlance and then hit the drop target to kill smaug. otherwise the flipper appears to serve no purpose.

Not exactly. Despite the kill shot as you described, when a ball is in the pops and comes out the right side, the software recognizes this and lights up a dwarf drop target for you to hit. Coming out of the pops represents coming out of the barrels (thus why the pops are barrels). Hitting the dwarf target represents tipping over when the dwarfs were in the barrels to escape from the elvish prison in the movie. Five successful tipping overs of the barrels is one of the things that nets you a lit up extra ball.

Is it a terrific use of the flipper? Not at all, but it has a few more purposes other than just killing Smaug. Cleverly enough, the mode "flashback" recalls when Smaug first attacked, and the game teaches you how you will kill Smaug in his multiball by showing you how to load the windlance and attack smaug with said flipper. Relatively basic playfield with INCREDIBLE software.

#8556 36 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The current code is pretty good.

He's having problems crashing. It isnt about the richness of the code he is concerned about.

#8559 36 days ago
Quoted from Jazz_Jack:

My machine was working great until the last week, and now have multiple problems.
1. The Warg pop-up, when triggered will only pop-up for a second then close. The test is working fine though.
2. Multiple ball stopped working or it will only give me one ball.
3. The machine is not recognizing the balls. This might be linked to the multi ball problem. Sometimes when I start a new game it’s trying to locate the balls. If you lose a ball it takes about a minute to recognize that the game is over. The new problem is when I lose a ball, it’s not giving me a new ball.
I did re-install the firmware, which is 3.10, but that didn’t fix the problem.
I am not seeing any lose wires. Maybe a bad sensor?
Any idea what’s going on?

Oh boy. Okay here we go.

First thing with the warg pop up, I bet you a million dollars it is over sensitive and triggers as it pops out of the playfield. Go back to the test menu and watch the hit indicator as it comes up. I can bet that is the issue. You'll have to space out you're switch behind the target more so he isn't so sensitive. This is common.

The ball issue is never gonna be software related. So don't let that be your go to fix. Sounds as if you have a sensor out in your ball trough maybe and can't see them all in there when no balls are in play. I haven't had this happen in my jersey jacks, but it does creep up in pinball in general. Go to your switch menu and see if it detects all the balls on the trough. Take then all out and then put them down the drain one at a time. Sounds like something is wrong there. Can't fix it till you know where and what to fix. That's my guess.

Could possibly be not detecting in the subway, as well?

#8569 32 days ago

Tech question. My start button doesn't light up. The power is connected to blue wires. What voltage is this, please? Is it possible s fuse is out?

The reason I'm taking a wild guess about it being a fuse is because when I received my game, it had lights added to the back and trough. I removed the one in the back, and as I was taking it out it shorted and stopped. This also killed the trough lights. It appears my start light connects to this same power? I mean how often do you notice your start button light on?

Thoughts?

#8606 25 days ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Just collected a 67K Super Spinner. Feels so good!

Holy hell

#8609 25 days ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Negative. I like to start Super Spinner in single ball play to reduce the risk of hitting the captive ball before I want to cash out.
Once I get Super Spinner running I just focus on ripping the spinners. The mode will time out after 60 seconds. I start trying to collect will less than 10 seconds left most of the time to maximize value. If you can also get Super X running before you cash out it will be 2X. A 70,000 to 140,000 jackpot in this game is no joke. Most people never even think about the value hiding in Super Spinner.

Oh I know the value and love going for it, I just suck at it. My super spinner champ score is like 37000. And I agree with you, you can't do it in a multiball, as hitting the captive ball risk is just too great.

#8613 24 days ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

How do you lite kickback.

Well you.... um.... you simply......hmmm.

That's a terrific question. Lol, I don't know!

#8622 20 days ago
Quoted from Thot:

it's a mystery gift with blue target

Yes it is, but that cannot be the real way to do it. There must be the "real way" and then the mystery gift way.

#8624 20 days ago
Quoted from KingBW:

There was discussion on this a couple of years back in one of these Hobbit threads. I could be wrong, but I think it has to do with a certain number of captive ball hits. I also think that once in the barrel pops, and the ball exits that area to the right over to the upper flipper, and you immediately hit the captive ball from there, it might award the kickback (and points). I don't remember exactly. The captive ball has something to do with that award, along with the mystery award.
(Not too useful but might jar someone's memory)

In all of my personal pinball history, I can hardly think of a time I was like, "wait... the objectives can wait, I've GOT to relight this kick back, dammit!"

#8631 19 days ago
Quoted from cjpins:

Just joined the club with a Black arrow and it is amazing . What a great pin !! Can anyone tell me how to read serial number to find out what number game I have?

Congrats. Out of three jjp games that I own, Hobbit is my favorite. Stupidly underrated game due to people looking at the playfield and assuming it has nothing to shoot at.

#8660 13 days ago
Quoted from Thot:

same for kill the witch in WOZ !!

Killing the witch is way easier. They are the same experience, but to kill smaug is very rare.

#8664 12 days ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

What is the pitch of your playfield?

0 degrees

#8676 9 days ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I was more thinking modes’ and multiballs’ individual shots. Is the old version of the rule sheet still up to date on those type things (ie layers of shots to get a chance to kill Smaug)?

Each level of smaug has about 6 shots. As you progress they get harder. First round, all the shots are lit for jackpot no matter what. Second mode , the last shot you made unlights, but the rest stay on. Third mode you have to hit every shot. However, since the game saves your progress, you can go for your favorite shots, go back to one ball play, and when you restart multiball, it will only need you to get how ever many left are needed to advance, yet it relights ALL the shots. I know that was quite the run on sentence, so long story short, it gets easier the more times you restart multiball.

After each mode you hit the super jackpot shot to advance. The final mode is just going back and fourth from MAN targets to DWARF targets before it beckons you to load the wind lance. You do this by shooting the right ramp. That leads it to the kick back lane, fires it to your upper right flipper and you kill smaug by hitting the one stand up hiding behind the drops that are not exposed (like his missing scale in the third movie). Boom. He is dead. Then you get victory laps. It's like killing the witch in WOZ, but far more elaborate and more difficult.

So to answer your question, yes.... I think it is the same

#8683 8 days ago
Quoted from paynemic:

So is it only when you complete a mode that this takes effect? Would it be beneficial to start but not finish a mode if it reduces your score that much?

Think about it. One of the five objectives to start the three mini wizard modes is completing a mode. So based on the mode you finish depends on how lucrative the mini wizard pays out. It is genius. This way people can do a one star weenie mode like "the one ring," and still have a chance at getting to a mini wizard. It will pay out like SHIT, but it gives noobs the chance to feel accomplishment. Meanwhile, for hard core players, they will refuse to start the mini wizard until a good mode has been completed. Awesome game. Love it so much.

As for your last question, the mini wizard modes can only be started once the five pieces if arkenstone have been collected. These are 1) start multiball, 2) get to Erabore, 3) Finish a mode (not just start one), 4) start Beast Frenzy and 5) start feast frenzy (this is what happens when you collect all the dwarves).

So your question about not getting enough points if you don't finish a mode makes no sense, as only completed modes will get you to the mini wizards. Also, the star rating for the level will be shown on the book before you start.

1 week later
#8731 1 day ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

So do you guys/gals feel like the market on this title has finally plateaued or do you think that this title will continue to drop in price? And if you think it'll drop more in price where do you see the bottom?

Being I find it an incredible value now, I don't see why it would keep going down. But what the hell do I know? I love this game to death and some flat out hate it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jorant.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside