25B54F18-822E-465C-9759-6DB371A6E215 (resized).jpeg
SmartSelect_20211016-213514_Gallery (resized).jpg
2F00C42D-EDDC-4405-BFB2-9170284F12E2.jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
D22B474C-FB1B-42CA-905A-A16C7E5B9A7D (resized).jpeg
RecessedDomeLitside1_1024x1024@2x (resized).jpg
20211013_203616 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (5 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by Troz (5 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (5 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (5 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (5 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (5 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (5 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (5 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joetechbob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6822 2 years ago

Just joined the club and have a quick question.

I have a Smaug SE and the audio seems to be lacking bass and I’m hearing cracking/clipping in mid to high range even at moderate volumes. When I’ve played at location the general sound quality has been amazing, with nice bass, etc.

Is there a crossover, amp, etc that I can adjust? Should I check cables?

(To be clear, audio is coming through all speakers, it just doesn’t sound as good as I’m used to...)

#6827 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Just joined the club and have a quick question.
I have a Smaug SE and the audio seems to be lacking bass and I’m hearing cracking/clipping in mid to high range even at moderate volumes. When I’ve played at location the general sound quality has been amazing, with nice bass, etc.
Is there a crossover, amp, etc that I can adjust? Should I check cables?
(To be clear, audio is coming through all speakers, it just doesn’t sound as good as I’m used to...)

Well, I let the game sit on for several more hours and went to start a game. No sound at all. So I restarted it and now it sounds amazing. So I suppose I have a bad connection or bad/flaky audio amp/board.

Incidentally...damn I love the sound package on this game.

#6830 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

If you want to hear it at it's full potential connect a subwoofer to it .

On the short list, for sure

1 month later
#7005 2 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

CONGRATS! ^^^^^^^^^
Does anyone suspect there will be another software update? I started a support ticket with a few requests.
1.) Audio cleanup of music while bonus is being showed. The snare drum sound is terrible and distorted.
2.) Eliminate the collecting of a reward when a mode is started "via the ramp" that requires use of the windlance. If you try to collect the reward showing on the screen the damn post will drop and your ball will drain or it ends up being the exact amount of power and the ball goes perfectly over to the right outlane. Insert Gollum "noooooooooooooooooooooo" here lol
Any other bugs you guys are seeing?

+1 on both of those

Also: there should be a software ball save for when the kickback misses. And this should also be added for your (2) from above.

1 week later
#7034 2 years ago

Have curling ramp flaps. Did you guys reach out to Jersey Jack to get replacements?

2 weeks later
#7123 2 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

JJP sends 1/8" pop rivets as well as normal 1/8" rivets with the flap kit. I used the pop rivets since I already had a pop rivet tool. The kit says use a 1"8 drill bit. NO - use the next size up. Drill from the backside and the rivet will come out super easy. My ramp looked like complete dog crap so I used a light grade sand paper and wet sanded it. Take care to not pinch any opto wires and let it sit for a day to dry off. When installing the new flaps make sure the flap orientation is correct. The longer angled edge needs to go to the inside of the ramp (next to the captive ball). Get someone to help you! Have them pull out on the outer edge of the ramp wall to give your rivet tool just a little more room and press down hard and keep the head FLAT AS POSSIBLE.

Could you share pics w/ pop rivets?

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced tool for using solid rivets on ramps? Looks like there are ~clamp-like tools out there that might work?

#7126 2 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

The cheapest pop river guns are ~$15. Just make sure it has different sized heads (whatever it's actually called I dont know). The default head is too big, the smallest head handles 1/8 rivets. Merely set the pop river in the hole on top of the ramp flap, slide the tool down the rivet shaft, ensure its flat as possible and squeeze the handle twice.

I have a pop rivet tool and have done those, but have never done a solid rivet which would look better/correct.

#7129 2 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

http://www.arbortime.mountainminded.net/html/the_better_tonka_rivet_tool_-_.html
I love this tool. Shipping is quick and the tool is very well made. I like using it more than my press. I would stay away from pop rivets at all costs.

Thanks!

#7130 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I use this for all ramp riveting.
C.S. Osborne Rivet Setter Made in the USA No. 443 amazon.com link »

Thanks!

Do you hammer it similar to a chisel (against an included base)? Easy to use?

#7135 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

No. A rivet gun does more than just clamp. It pulls, crushes and cuts the stem at the end, all in one squeezing motion.

That’s a pop rivet gun which I have. Asking about solid rivets which I’ve never done.

#7148 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

solid rivets are easy.
Use the hanson hand ht-174 rivet tool:
https://www.erivet.com/product_detail.cfm?itemNbr=HT-174
Put the head end on a piece of maple or metal and pound them on.
One day I used the wrought iron railing as a support lol

Thanks!

1 year later
#9576 9 months ago
Quoted from Trumpanche:

Hey fellow Hobbitses...
I developed a mod to address a pet peeve of mine with the layout of this game. I really get tired of 1. not using the third flipper much, and 2. draining from rejects or dribbles out of the pop bumpers. I've always felt like there should have been a gate at the entrance of Bag End, but it's just missing. So I made a gate
Is this something anyone but me is interested in?
Operation:
Installation:

That’s a neat idea. What does that switch do at the modified exit?

8 months later
#10715 41 days ago
Quoted from chaz009:

Can someone please tell me the build date from when the creature ball catch fix (spring?) started to be preinstalled in the machines? I might get another TH and would like one with the fix preinstalled on the machine (my previous one didn’t have it and it bugged me a lot).
Thank you in advance!

I'm not 100% certain -- but I thought Black Arrow editions came with this fix from the factory (including upgraded ramp flaps and left habit trail). Not sure on the LEs.

4 weeks later
#10851 11 days ago
Quoted from TouchingEvil:

I'm getting my Hobbit on friday, is their something i should do or think off before i start playing ?

Block off about 2 hours before you start a game if you're a good player

#10863 10 days ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

You can set Hobbit up for “quick” ball times. Widen the outlanes and get rid of the middle post.

Was meant only as a joke, but this is a game where I actually *want* longer ball times as it's an adventure! I'll go play Iron Man if I want to get my ass kicked

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joetechbob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside