Topic Stats

• 7,846 posts
  • 516 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by KingBW
  • Topic is favorited by 190 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,145 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Castle (resized).png
IMG_20191027_094800 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_092217 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090807 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091030 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091023 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0012 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_102423 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090419 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090400 (resized).jpg
182073EA-3A86-4714-A07D-DE14034970C6 (resized).jpeg
B7D506CB-DD8C-4B4D-A4C1-A02716D2C79C (resized).jpeg
FC83295A-EEBB-44D9-8B79-4FE11917D16A (resized).jpeg
20190903_191923 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (3 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by Troz (3 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (3 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (3 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (3 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (3 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (3 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (3 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (3 years ago)

Post #1113 Noteworthy new owner issues and photos Posted by VolunteerPin (3 years ago)

Post #1358 JJP video on fix kit. Posted by tatapolus (3 years ago)

Post #1706 example of time marks order through delivery Posted by meSz (3 years ago)

Post #2007 Here's the code download link Posted by LTG (3 years ago)

Post #2220 How to install Hobbit Cliffy protectors Posted by mbelofsky (3 years ago)

Post #3613 Nice tip on locktite product for wood or metal screws. Posted by pinballinreno (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffspinballpalace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#161 3 years ago

Every cabinet pic I recall seeing has been high quality and ultra shiny. Wood JJP is using for cabinet bottom is thick and the game is solid and heavy. These do not add up to declining quality.

3 weeks later
#352 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Well it looks like I'll avoid updating to 1.10 when I get my machine next week. I'll wait for JJP to address the reset issues with it, disappointing as I really want to try the latest code.

Don't wait to upgrade to 1.10, it is much more fun than previous version and it is worth the occasional reset. Happens maybe 1 in 50 games?? JJP will track it down and choke the sh*t out of it and then it will be an interesting story to tell your grandchildren

#387 3 years ago

Anybody post a pic of ram installed? Trying to imagine where it plugs in.

2 weeks later
#635 3 years ago

Legs on TH are shorter because well, how many tall Hobbits have ever seen?

1 week later
#765 3 years ago

Game was set on five ball, but wanted to post score anyways. Defeated into the fire and defeated smug mb. Multiballs were crazy fun. I was near 1.1M after ball three. Thinking this might be my only chance at glory, I kept playing.

AC repairman rang doorbell during my last ball and he had to wait seven minutes for me to end ball and answer door.

I was a worried about low scoring in 1.10 code, as you couldn't regularly crack 1M. Was hoping once main modes went in, you'd see rapidly growing scores. With into the fire being the first one in, my scores went up a good bit already and it was very fun playing. So now I am sure that once other modes are added in, the game will only get better. I think it is pretty darn good already.

20160620_133510_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1013 3 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Hello,
why a fix for the trolls?
What is the problem of trolls?

Fix prevents the ball from rolling into a troll hole, potentially becoming trapped. When that happens, playfield glass must be removed to free the ball. Sometimes a hole can swallow two balls. This is irritating to all involved and can be eliminated with the fix, which attaches underneath playfield at the edge of hole and acts like a bumper to prevent a ball from being trapped or from ever rolling in.

#1049 3 years ago
Quoted from system11:

They cost nearly $2000 here.

What's cheap back surgery and a month of physical therapy cost for comparison?

#1092 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I wonder if a black 3D printed version will block any of the troll lights. I'll investigate this weekend. Thanks again.

I bought a set of black printed ones from you and installed them in an hour. I tried to order the 1/4 in. extended nut driver with magnetic head from Pinball Life but they are on holiday. So I used my socket set, with one problem being it is not magnetic. I lost 2 F&CKING screws in the process that are still MIA. But ultimately got the job done. I used painters tape to secure the screw to the socket before aligning it with a hole. This worked pretty well - 8/10 times

The black version, which is now christened the Stealthy Collector's Edition, blocks the spotlighting effect almost entirely and reduces overall glare. It is probably a little brighter than shown. Result is a more subtle lighting and the black color of the plastic really disappears into the playfield too. Maybe makes it look like a dark hole rather than a light bar in front of each pop up too. A bigger disadvantage is the faces aren't lit as well with the black version. When I get my repair kit from JJP , I'll probably be staying with these, the black ones. Because you know what they say ...

TH_Popup_Fix_00_(resized).jpg
TH_Popup_Fix_01_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#1265 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Seems like 1.3x is taking a little bit longer then expected to come out. I wouldn't be surprised if some additional tweaks / fixes are in the public release code compared to the beta code that is out there.

.. or they could leave 1.30 as is, and as beta only. Then release version 1.35 with small tweaks.

#1270 3 years ago

expect to see ramp flaps in the repair kit to ship soon. I don't know if they are same size or modified. We'll see, but in the meantime ...

#1274 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

So the kit that will be released soon will contain new ramp flaps? On the live stream, I remember hearing 12 springs for the drop targets and the 4 beast mech fixes.

Expect flaps and rivots to be included in the kit and shooter spring too. The table of contents has been expanded and final selection to be revealed once it has been received somewhere. Shouldn't be long now - probably a week or two.

#1400 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The wireform per se is not defective.

But they are poorly designed such that some have burrs on the end that cause the ball to hop. Some have cross members that hit ball before it reaches the drop. Both of these contribute to ball hopping. Sometimes ball hops against side rail, but that hiding spot is being fixed. Other times the ball sails across the slingshot plastic and drains. Both should be eliminated with the new wireform design. Not having the new form equals continued problem with the second issue of ball hopping plastic and draining. I see it happening a lot.

I am of the camp the wire form should have been included in the kit for free. Evidently I will be buying the new wireform.

#1473 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

I currently have one in my shopping cart on the JJP website, just can't quite pull the trigger yet...

One click away... Just do it!

Quoted from WackyBrakke:

alright! I did it! Pulled the trigger and put a deposit. I wonder how far back in the line I am?

Congrats you just Did It!

1 week later
#1624 3 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

... but would love to find the time in the near future to bring the wife to check out your Hobbit. Would also give her a chance to compare it with my Woz side by side

1 month later
#1985 3 years ago

Billy, it's ok to be curious. It's perfectly natural for a boy your age to have questions. Have the talk with your mother about Misty Mountain.

#2025 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Anyone run into this scenario? When starting up the game I am not getting the option to select the skill shot as it appears one of the switches is being activated thus negating the selection process. I haven't fully investigated this yet but figured I would throw it up here in case there is others bored at work that may have had this issue!

Try tapping the ring button, it will alert the machine to cycle through the skill shots.

3 weeks later
#2222 3 years ago

Sounds like their site was hacked (pure speculation). Site was down and barely moving on Fri evening and now again Sunday evening. Orders must be rolling in.

Probably just cleaning up afterwards with a skeleton crew. I expect they will be able to post files on Mon. Maybe we'll find out the reason then too.

8 months later
#3520 2 years ago

Version 2.0 installed in four minutes and with these two features since 1.94, I am already thrilled. Hobbit has a lot under the hood and now's the time to put the pedal down and never lift up.

IMG_0082 (resized).JPG
IMG_0081 (resized).JPG

1 year later
#4822 1 year ago

Smaug likes gold and smells a golden code update coming soon. Hobbit Owners can officially start getting excited for the July 6 stream - Smaug out

IMG_0387 (resized).PNG

#4871 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's a hell of a lot of awesome and welcomed changes

BAM! a great update by JJP. It seems to address all concerns and really polishes the game nicely. Will have to wait til Sat for code to drop before seeing its impact to scoring. This release is a win for everybody.

#4883 1 year ago

Hobbit podcast is announced for Friday. Jack has stated that code will be released Saturday. So if it isn't here by Sunday you are sanctioned to go full rage.

Looks like we've arrived folks.... Welcome to the five days of Hobbit! Day 4 = watch podcast Day 5 = download code!! Days 1 - 3 can f@cK themselves.

#4911 1 year ago
Quoted from Budman:

All,
I am considering purchasing this title and would appreciate your input to see if it might be a good fit. I live in a rural area so haven’t had a chance to play it. Just been watching videos and tutorials.
1. Love the theme as do my teenage sons.
2. We all have basic playing skills.... AFMr high score of 7.5 bill.
3. Not interested in an hour long game and probably don’t have the brainpower to embrace all of the rule set anyway. We are somewhat of a casual player type.
So, do you think The Hobbit is even a close fit?
Thanks!

Yes
Yes
Yes if setup harder.

But what have you got against long games? The point of Hobbit is not to end the game asap, but to explore and savor it. The longer you go, the more you see. I've gotten to the missing wizard mode a few times on 3 balls, but more often on 5. A couple of long games and I find myself a little sweaty. Hobbit is the ONLY game I've played that makes you work for your fun. Which is rewarding after a day of battling beasts. Also recommend playing the game with headphones for even more pleasure. My best 5 ball score of 4.5M was achieved recently and my guess is scores will rise after the code update because of fixes/ enhancements.

#4919 1 year ago

Im using a fiio headphone amp and its incredible on all my games.
Pinnovators headphone adapters go into all of my games.
Headphones is the way to go these days to hear all of the sound.
Kudos to JJP for having the foresight of adding headphone jacks with volume control to all of their games.
What a great pinball company!
In my opinion they are the best in the world right now. They set the bar high, now it's for the other companies to step up and at least meet the new standard!

And in layman terms it can do this ...

Play sound thru game speakers - check
Play sound thru headphone jack - check
Play sound thru game speakers & headphone jack simultaneously - check
Control volume independently while listening simultaneously - check mate, bitches!

#4931 1 year ago

Beer chillin in the fridge and already started drinking. Kush is ready to go and currently being vaporized. Cleared Fri afternoon thru Sunday night on calendar. Bills are paid and internet is surging. Just need Hobbit 3.0 code now. If anyone can supply a link to 2.9_PR, I'd happily give her a few turns around the driveway.

#4934 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

That one won't be shared. They want to be sure no bugs are in it. Not too many testing it either.
LTG : )

Thanks and that got me thinking...All new code has bugs, but if JJP says they will squash bugs before 3.0 release, that is setting a high bar. Challenge accepted I'll be playing 3.0 when released and will see how good those guys are.

#4951 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not exactly the answer to your question, but There is still supply in-house at distributors of the Black Astrow edition...

Never heard of that one. Is he a crime fighter maybe?

#4960 1 year ago

Loved playing one good game before heading to dinner. Is there a coin door save?

#5024 1 year ago

Ever try playing Hobbit with arrow launcher not working? I couldn't figure out why no balls were getting diverted to left outlane while playing on new code. Found and resolved my issue. The mech is attached to the ramp and held in place by one machine screw about 1/8 inch long. Very insignificant looking item. The screw had come out and mech was roughly in place but hanging down and not working. Fixed it and now diverted works as intended and the game plays much better now.

#5029 1 year ago
Quoted from coz6:

I am an idiot yes yes I have never once loaded it and was like wonder how that works all these people talking about loading the arrow I can't seem to figure it out

First go into test menu and coil test. Near the end of list is one for windlance (arrow). Set it to run and pull out white coin door interlock switch, and you should see the arrow diverter working. Might not be running full power but arm should poke through two bottom rails. If it is blocked, loosen screw on top holding it, twist to find sweet spot and tighten in place.

Then during game mode you'll eventually notice the load arrow insert lit solid purple. Send a ball up the right ramp and it should be diverted. (Oh, first use ring button to turn off lock light. This should work when ramp is unlit or maybe with mode light on, not sure about lock light on). Give it a try and report back.

The wndlance/arrow adds a ton to the game and its ingenuity is under appreciated. Sometimes it serves as a skill shot to MAN targets, some of the modes use the arrow feature, and then of course it is needed to kill Smaug. Mmmmphhh yeah, you might to take a look at yours.

#5071 1 year ago

Been enjoying 2.96 and have a hypothesis that the weird test error messages everybody is getting were happening previously, they just weren't being flagged by the software until now. There are three common error sets mentioned above.

In fact I'd like help with my errors. 1) Spider up switch is tripping often, and showing up as an error in test report, I've learned to reset the small switch button from underside and that takes care of it. But it continues frequently and the spider works fine in game and test. 2) tilt bob switch stuck on. I tilt the bob and it does not register a hit, rather it shows always on. I don't see any pinched wires. Holding tilt bob steady and it still shows being on. Weird??

New Request - It helps knowing how close to level five you are.

I start into the fire or barrels wizard modes and before long lose track of how far I've come. I'd like to see the wave # displayed on the small screen. And would like to hear callout with each wave completion .. Hearing is important to remembering and it is a big part of this idea. Music and sounds might be used now but they are too subtle. And give Gandalf a rest and hire another voice talent with a milder, quieter delivery.

edit - even more Smaug.

#5077 1 year ago

Great news! I'm going to clean and adjust all the drop switches in the mean time, though I only have 500 plays on my game.

Good time to look at your game audits. Might reveal something interesting or maybe a bust.

#5079 1 year ago

An update on my error messages status …

Booting game on shows a problem.

IMG_2506 (resized).JPG

It has been listing the spider up switch, but not today. Definitely an issue with tilt bob though.

IMG_2507 (resized).JPG

Pulled out door interlock button and popped spider up.

IMG_2509 (resized).JPG

Sometimes the up switch is in red texts and the colored yellow box would be blue, even though spider would worked. Looking good today.

IMG_2510 (resized).JPG

Removed wires and lugs on tilt bob left them dangling.

IMG_2512 (resized).JPG

Reached into cabinet holding my nut driver and received a mild shock. Pushed door interlock button back to open position and made a note not to do that again. Screwed tilt bob lugs back on and went back into test menu. Surprisingly it works fine now.

Then cycled power switch and game came on with no errors. Played one game an all was fine. No clue why the effort helped but the tilt bob circuitry works correctly and I have a hunch it may have triggered the spider error. Time will tell.

Found this test log for drop targets.

IMG_2511 (resized).JPG
#5095 1 year ago

I knew TH was fast & furious, but I'm starting to get addicted (help).

Ted, when I hit a lit mode ramp, I can cycle through maybe three modes with the flippers. I think about the mode first and then decide whether to keep or discard and move, which is slow. Keep in mind I haven't memorized what/where all the modes are on the backglass.

Can you add a timer option to control how long the flippers allow you to cycle through lit modes and provide an option closer to how long it takes for the ball to reach a flipper (maybe six seconds)? A variation of this would be to allow a second means of pre-selecting the modes. This one has me salivating. The obvious choice would be to add a function to the ring button - so after you have cradled a ball, you could activate ring and then use the other flipper to cycle through the modes. This may seem like a duplicate function to what is already there when hitting a lit ramp and using the flippers, and it is, but it would provide more control to players and allow them to pick what mode they wanna play - but at their own pace, rather than being rushed by the game.

#5103 1 year ago
Quoted from sulli10:

May be somewheres else, but what will the 3.0 ISO image release do? Will the player see a difference?

no but he should have a Scoregasm.

#5113 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Played a black arrow recently. Love the all around look of it.

Yeh the pics look great. I looked images up on JJP site. Haven't seen one in person but hope to some day. I've got the LE and the cabinet artwork is just right for me.

#5127 1 year ago

Playing Runes mode is nice. White flasher strobes during entire mode and ramp shots turn and u-turn back. If you get multiball going with it ... kaboom!

Game has lots of multiballs, so you can learn to cradle two balls while flipping other balls feels fantastic!

#5150 1 year ago

Millions, billions, it's still a great score!

One's great ...the other is Forrest Gump kind of good!

3 weeks later
#5247 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I'm finally in the club and fishtails has a friend again .Had one of the best pinball nights ever playing in till 2:30 in the morning with my best mate. After a bit of mucking around got the new code updated and it is so good. Gave it a wax and set it up a bit over 7 degrees it is really fast and fun, it is one of the best pinballs ever. I think everyone needs to give it a new rating and get it in the top 10 where it belongs. The only bad thing was when I woke up my dog has eaten my certificate of title.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats on your nib game. Some pins are better than others to open up new and Hobbit is a good one. Your dog has excellent taste.

2 weeks later
#5315 1 year ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Yes, sorry. With a 2 year old and 10 month old my mind tends to wander and I type by reflex. I really need to reread everything I write.

Don’t sweat it, by the time I read it was already changed and I thumbed you up. Any chance to retry your centerpost experiment?

3 months later
#6034 11 months ago

3.0 installed tonite just fine with unibuten . Played 2 games and excited to see some things for the first time. All good, this game is really smooth.

#6039 11 months ago

My favorite feature - enabled feast champ and modes won champ. When I scored GC it also triggered HS of day and then both enabled modes. I got pops in rapid order ... pop pop pop pop and a readout. Love it!

9C2474D4-EAB6-493B-A52E-0D73CEF02F0B (resized).jpeg

2 months later
#6549 9 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I love the different artwork on each side of the cabinet the whole game just kicks ass

Decals with unique art on all three sides and trim levels help JJP games stand out. I like most of the different packages offered and settle on the one that is available when ready to buy. Finish on the regular decals look spectacular, I can’t even fathom how good radcals might look.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffspinballpalace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside