IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fordtudoor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#86 8 years ago

I am anxiously awaiting LE #1498 with an order date of 12/13/2012. I was told by Jen that she will ship mid-May. Thanks to TXStargazer3 I have upgraded my order to include RAD-CALS.

1 month later
#460 7 years ago
Quoted from BShing:

My order date is 1/21/13 and Jen said end of May when I asked a few months back. I wonder how far I'm pushed back now. Oh well, as others have commented maybe they'll have the bugs worked out. I was one of the first to receive my WOZ. No light board problems but I always notice in the for sale ads prospective buyers inquiring about the issue.

I think at that time that was probably an accurate assessment. I am a December 13, 2012, order date and was told "end of May". I think with these recent issues the assemblers are trying to implement the revised solutions into games on the line (makes sense and cents), so production schedule has been slowed up a couple weeks. I don't bug them for updates because I want my game when they are satisfied it's the best it can be.

#497 7 years ago
Quoted from Peppers:

My Hobbit SE #960 has finally left Jersey Jack and heading to my lonely mountain. I hope to get it in a week. Pic is Smaug's new home as seen from our bedroom. I think I am one of the last of day one orders. But at one point I asked mine to be delayed as we were moving to our new place. I am beyond excited!!!!! A huge thanks to Everyone at JJ and especially LTG for taking care of us.

I am envious. All I get to look at is an amusement park (Kings Island).

seeker3_(resized).JPGseeker3_(resized).JPG

#555 7 years ago

I have been keeping abreast of all "The Hobbit" threads on "Pinside" as I await delivery of my LE. Needless to say the reset issue has me concerned. I really question as to whether this is solely a software problem. If it is code-related then why wouldn't everyone who has installed Version 1.10 have the same problem? Someone mentioned their reset occurred when the ball hit a pop bumper. Couldn't the problem lie with a voltage spike? Spurious voltages have been known to affect the running of software. And maybe the condition could be enhanced by the quality of the cable connections, etc. Just questioning the obvious.

1 week later
#613 7 years ago

From the looks of things the wires are of various gauges. maybe somewhere 18 to 22. If there is enough slack then I would just splice them. Strip affected wires back about 3/4" and then place them parallel to each other but pointing in opposite direction and slowly twist the bare conductors about each other. Then solder the wires with some Kester 44 or other flux coated solder wire made for electrical use. Before you wrap the wires, buy some heat shrink tubing in the appropriate size (it shrinks roughly half size) and slide a piece up one wire long enough that it overlaps the bare conductors. When finished soldering, slide the tubing over the splice and apply heat to shrink the tubing. Some folks will drag the soldering iron over it, some folks will use a cigarette lighter, us professionals have a dedicated heat gun. That's all, folks.

#631 7 years ago
Quoted from GameJunkie:

Got my Hobbit 3 days ago and i'm loving it! A few questions to you owners.
1. The legs are quite a bit shorter than WOZ more like the height of a Stern. Anyone know why JJP went with shorter legs and therefore a lower table height?
2. Are some of story book modes not completable yet? I feel like I have hit all the targets they ask for and still have time in the mode, but it ends and I don't get a complete bonus. In fact I don't think I have completed any modes yet.
3. Sometimes, especially when I lock a ball, the audio pops and crackles. Is this just a product of early code or do you think i have a connection issue. I did make sure all of the audio connections under the play field were tight. I have not looked in the back box yet. My sub woofer sounded like it was blown, but I did fix that by securing the connection.
4. Just an observation, but I think it's strange that they chose to face the Dwarf or Hobbit in the barrel looking to the back of the machine. I feel like we should be able to see his face.
5. Anyone see any cool mods for the play field yet. I feel like the mod community is a little slow with mods for Hobbit. There are already tons of Ghost Busters and I feel like WOZ had quite a few at this point.
Hope everyone is enjoying their Hobbit or gets it soon if they are waiting.

Just curious, are you Liberty Township in Butler County or Trumbull County?

#685 7 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

I ordered my Hobbit on 12/12/2012 and still have not heard anything. For those just receiving your games what was your order date?

I am an order date of 12-13-2012 and have not heard a peep since I was told late May a couple months ago. I'm hoping with the delay that mine will have recent issues corrected and 1.20 code.

#743 7 years ago

As I anticipate the arrival of my game I have kept abreast of all the Hobbit-related postings. With all the comments made about loose connections I would recommend that once you get these connectors working properly is to put a dab of silicone on the external surface of the connector and have it touch the receptor. This should hold it securely seated and protect against vibrations yet still allow it to be removed, if need be. At least that is what I plan to do.

#788 7 years ago

Although I have never seen them in person, I ordered them on my LE at the recommendation of "txstargazer".

#893 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

So I got the call and my LE will be delivered tomorrow. Any suggestions on what to do first thing as far as checking loose parts or areas that mylar is recommended for?

Before I set my game up (not here yet but a Dec. 13, 2012 order date) I plan to re-read all postings on all the "Hobbit" threads. There are a lot of suggestions and nit-picky problems scattered throughout these threads. Like the leg bolt plates not being secured, connectors not fully seated, assemblies not tightly screwed on the underside of playfield, or the bracket/screw head sticking up when you slide out the playfield glass. I think it would be worthwhile to spend some time while waiting and re-read and jot them down. Owners were kind enough to say "don't do like me and ...." They are helping the rest of us avoid similar mistakes.

#926 7 years ago

^^^^^^^^I wouldn't wax it. It is self-adhesive, I presume, so I would try to clean any dirt, dust, wax, oil, etc. build-up by wiping it down with some naptha. Unless anyone else has a better idea. I guess maybe rubbing alcohol would work, too.

#930 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

OK so no wax. Is it easy to apply and adjust if needed?

I have bought sheets of mylar with stickum in the past. I would cut out donuts to put around pop bumpers, small circles to put under wire ramp exits where the ball would drop, and half moons for in front of sling shots. Once it's down, it's pretty much down. You can peel it up but it's very difficult to peel back an edge without jeopardizing the playfield finish. My advice is to start at one corner and check your alignment as you lay more of it down (contact with playfield). Don't put down the final little corner of the last edge unless you are satisfied with the alignment. If all looks good then smash it down. Then take something soft, like a cloth, and take your finger and rub the mylar like you are trying to rub out air bubbles. This pressure will insure complete and lasting contact. If you don't like the alignment near the end, then you have that one little sliver that you can grab hold and peel it up. I don't know if the glue will be as sticky trying to reuse the same mylar piece if you have give it a second try. Helps to have a back-up piece. Just my experience. As I said before, naptha is the best at cleaning old glue off playfields when removing old mylar. Some solvents affect the finish and inking but naptha has proven to be gentle to playfields.

1 week later
#1012 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Disagree...worst case, just stretch the stock spring out a tad and you're good. You want it hitting the F with a full strength plunge.

I don't have my game yet otherwise I would probably know the answer to this question. Ideally if you have a plunger skill shot where the maximum amount earned is somewhere between the minimum and maximum pull on the plunger, then why would you want a spring that hits this so-called "F" drop target with the maximum pull? I mean don't you want a shot where you have to figure out just how far to pull the plunger back in order to nail the intended target? What you are describing is no skill shot at all. I would think you would want a spring that is stronger than what you have described.

#1072 7 years ago

^^^^^^^^^^these are machine screws; they wouldn't be used to hold a t-nut in WOOD.

#1097 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

So I used my socket set, with one problem being it is not magnetic. I lost 2 F&CKING screws in the process that are still MIA.

If the screws you reference are hex head flanged machine screws you might try this in the future: Take a tiny piece of notebook paper and wrap around just the head. Then insert the screw into the socket. The paper should be thick enough to take up the gap between the head and the socket. If done correctly the screw head will be wedged into the socket and won't fall out. Works for me every time.

#1145 7 years ago

^^^^^^^ it's called "deep-throat clamps and Titebond II glue"..

#1149 7 years ago

^^^^^^ save money and use Titebond 2

3 weeks later
#1555 7 years ago

I am posting this entry in this particular thread because the owner's thread seems to be more current than some of the others. I need your help. My e-mail account on my AOL account went crazy this morning. Some strange e-mail was sent to a bunch of people on my address book. It happened right after I received an e-mail from Jersey Jen saying she was going on maternity leave. I haven't received an e-mail from her in over a year. So why now (I do have a game on order)? Did anyone else receive this e-mail? Could it be the cause of my problems? PS - I'm computer illiterate. JLC

#1558 7 years ago

^^^^^Thanks Bru'. That makes sense as her e-mail was titled "automatic reply". I wonder what triggered this intrusion upon my e-mail. I sure hope it doesn't harm anyone or myself. JLC

#1616 7 years ago

I believe the "cut-off date" you speak of was just the last date you could change your mind and have your on-order LE be converted from an LE to an SE without an increase in price. If I'm not mistaken all SE's being produced do not say 1 of some number like the LE's do. In that case, the number of SE's can be limitless, where the LE's are limited to 1 to 1500. I, by the way, have LE #1498 on order from Dec, 13, 2012.

3 weeks later
#1846 7 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

How could that happen? Did they take it out of of the box and try to set it up?

I understand clearly what he is saying. The pin is packed into the crate standing vertically with the back of the lower cabinet at the bottom. This makes the playfield standing vertically and literally hanging by the two (2) hooked brackets. If there is nothing at the "bottom" of the playfield in this position supporting it, the brackets take the full weight of a very heavy playfield. Being mild steel they will bend. Clearly a case of a tractor trailer that drove through the median or got caught up in Hurricane Hermine.

#1865 7 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

No, that means JJP is at fault with how its packed he said R&L is at fault.. so what caused it..did they drop the entire box putting strain on the playfiled latches? Did they unbox it and put additional weight trying to move it into place? The playfield is indeed very heavy but if it was not handled improperly then everyone's game would have this issue or there was some other change like a missing foam block or the latches are different.
If in fact it's getting bent from normal trucking like hitting a pot hole then the foam is not doing it's job and this needs to be addressed in packing.

Let me tell you a little story that, hopefully, will shed some light on the subject. I worked at a bulk mail center for the US Postal Service here in Cincinnati. Parcels would travel around the facility on trays attached to conveyor chains with wheels. At a certain zip code the tray would tip and the parcel would zip down a chute and into a large aluminum container. Those containers were then wheeled on to tractor trailers and off the property. The containers were about six feet tall. The trays at the top of the chute added another six feet of "free flight". THEORETICALLY your parcel could be the first one to drop in the container. The next parcel could weigh 50# and fall this twelve feet and land right on top of your parcel. Do you think your parcel might suffer some damage? Yes. Do you think every parcel might suffer damage? No. The point I'm trying to make is that packaging engineers have to design for the worst case scenario if they want a 100% success rate. JJP did not as evidenced by at least two examples of damage. I don't blame R+L. That's what insurance is for. JJP might be pleased with a 98% success rate. I just hope I'm not in the 2% group.

#1887 7 years ago

I currently hold an order date of 12-13-2012. I have never been notified that the game has been released to production, is in test, ready for shipping, or time to send the balance due. I have not made a big stink about it because it seems lately more problems are beginning to surface. So the longer I wait the better my chances are of getting a machine that has all the bugs ironed out. It looks like some hefty orders recently shipped out to other distributors and overseas.

2 weeks later
#2032 7 years ago
Quoted from pballinhd:

What date did you order your game? Still waiting...

Don't think you're the Lone Ranger. I ordered Dec. 13, 2012, and I haven't even been told that it has been released for production. I don't need it right now so the delay just means I get one with all the bugs ironed out...hopefully.

#2062 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Cancel your pre-order and buy from automated. You'll have the pin in three days.

Now why would somebody cancel their pre-order and lose $1000 in order to receive a machine in "three" days when they might receive their pre-order in 2-3 weeks? I'm beginning to think that distributors are getting preferential treatment over private individuals with older pre-order dates. By the way, my order is with JJP direct.

1 week later
#2158 7 years ago

Hobbit LE #1498 landed today in Cincinnati, OH. I ordered this game sight unseen, the reason will become clear in a couple of months. I thought it was strange that the ship date was October 5 (my birthday) but the build date was August 28. The only conclusion I could reach is they were holding up games to apply parts revisions. I notice the wireform ramp on the left side going to the return lane has an additional wire on the left side running the length about half a ball high. I can't tell you how cool the Rad-cals are. It's hard to show the effect but I will try. Compare the reflections from the garage door and sunshine. More to follow.

hobbit10 (resized).JPGhobbit10 (resized).JPG

#2167 7 years ago

After reading all the forums and threads about "The Hobbit" I knew the only way I was going to get this game down in the basement was to break her down in three parts - backbox, lower cabinet, and playfield. There was no way I was going to lift the playfield out myself. Mission accomplished.

Hobbit11 (resized).JPGHobbit11 (resized).JPG

Hobbit12 (resized).JPGHobbit12 (resized).JPG

#2192 7 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

What is the lead time to get a Hobbit to my front door if I order today? I have no idea what the wait time is like for a JJP machine. I'm looking to get a NIB for x-mas but there's not much inventory to get from Stern at the moment that I like.

If you order directly from JJP I don't know if there is any inventory sitting around. I am guessing they are shipping to pre-orders, overseas, and distributors as soon as they are built. As an example, I had a pre-order with JJP direct. Katie called and said it was ready to ship. R+L Carriers called two days later wanting to deliver it. That is New Jersey to Ohio in two days. If you can strike a deal with a distributor who has one ready to go on the skid then I would presume you could have similar turnaround time.

#2228 7 years ago

^^^^^^^ I thought double-sided tape meant that it has sticky adhesive on both sides. What exactly are you trying to say?

2 weeks later
#2316 7 years ago

A number of folks have reported scratching mirrorblades when raising or lowering their playfields. Technically mirrorblades are highly polished die cut thin sheets of stainless steel that affix to the inside walls of the lower cabinet. Sometimes folks chose artwork printed on self-adhesive vinyl. Either one is subject to scratching. I thought I would present my approach to counteract this situation. I purchased 1/2" self-adhesive strips of hook and loop tape. The commercial name is velcro. We only need the loop portion. I needed a bulk amount to do a number of games. The best price I found was from Hong Kong on eBay. I wrapped around a small portion (1-1/4") at the top and bottom and stapled it to add stability. Cheers.

tape1 (resized).JPGtape1 (resized).JPG

tape4 (resized).JPGtape4 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#2392 7 years ago

These work better because they can "lock".

DSCF0001 (resized).JPGDSCF0001 (resized).JPG

#2398 7 years ago

I was notified by Katie roughly Oct. 1 that my Hobbit LE was ready to ship. It was a direct order with JJP. The original pre-order date was Dec. 13, 2012. So your pre-order date was approximately a whole year after mine. That might offer some insight into why you have not received your game yet. My "born on" date was like August 26 or 28. It took a whole month to ship my game? I think it was caught up in a batch of games that needed Smaug head assemblies. There was a problem with these. All I can say is hang in there...it won't be long.

1 week later
#2470 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Where did you purchase the GOLD flipper bats. I have purchased 2 Gold sets, one from pinballlife and one from Pinball Center in Germany. Both sets were white plastic bats painted gold. The gold paint has started to flake off in both sets!
Thanks

Have you tried the gold mirror bats from Joey at Pinball Decals? It is possible to take a white plastsic flipper bat, paint it with conductive paint and then brass plate it. That should last a long time without flaking. Steve at Pinball Refinery could do that. He did it with the plastic coin door bezels on "The Hobbit SE".

1 month later
#2792 7 years ago

I wanted to send this to Lloyd but I'm not quite sure how you send a PM and attach a picture. Any thoughts? Anyway, I have my playfield apart installing Cliffy protectors and I removed the green "building" on the left. I noticed a PCB switch attached to the building. The PCB is on a slant and the mounting screws are cantilevered towards the PCB. Is this suppose to be normal? See the photo. I thought it strange. JLC

hobbitx (resized).JPGhobbitx (resized).JPG

#2830 7 years ago

I, personally think "The Hobbit" LE pin is a stunning visual work of art. However, I, like some of my colleagues, think two areas are rather pedestrian - flipper bats and shooter rod. They just don't do justice to an otherwise museum piece. Here is my interpretation for your consideration. Whenever I see Orcs I think of prehistoric beasts. And I think of bones. So I thought the boney flippers from "Scared Stiff" would maybe look better than some generic yellow bats. As far as shooter rods go I asked Mike in California to whip me up one based on my favorite Dwarf, Bombur. Next on my list was to get my coin door powder coated to match the copper-ish trim of the LE. The coin slot bezels are plastic so they can't be powder coated. I toyed with the idea of having them bright copper electroplated. I gave that up as too pricey and no guarantee I would like them. So I kept them black and added twelve coats of Fusion gloss clear. I had all fasteners (carriage screws and acorn bolts) glossy black powder coated to match. Next up will be wire-form ramps.

PS1 (resized).JPGPS1 (resized).JPG

PS2 (resized).JPGPS2 (resized).JPG

#2835 7 years ago

New owner here. With other games I have owned, whenever you lock a ball, the ball would be trapped somewhere on or under the playfield. Another ball would be served up to the shooter lane. With "The Hobbit" when I locked a ball it seemed as though it didn't really lock the ball anywhere; just spit it out down the wire ramp on the left. It said "Ball 1 Locked" on the screen though. Is this normal? JLC

#2846 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

A precautionary note for installation of Cliffy's Hobbit Kickout Protectors: Don't OVER TIGHTEN, ESP. THE RADAGAST PROTECTOR!

OR: Salvage protector using tack hammer to flattened protector around post holes, then reinstall without over tightening. I also placed a washer between the protector & posts.
s

I have been tinkering with pins for 36 years. Whenever I replace a hex head post, whether it screws into the playfield or goes all the way through, I place a thin (.020) mil spec flat washer between the base of the post and the playfield; otherwise you just end up with depressions or gouging of the wood. I do the same between nuts on the post and the top of screened plastics.

1 month later
#2993 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeffreyjonesbsme:

My check for my Hobbit LE was mailed today.
I need to read through this whole thread when it arrives.
It sounds like I may need to tweak a few things.
Super excited though.
Did I read there is a Google group I should join? What are the details of that group?

Jeff, I received my "Hobbit LE" on October 3, two days before my birthday. I have not adjusted any of the power settings for solenoids since I fired it up. I set the game for 6.8 degrees pitch and have not had any problems with strength of flippers, etc. The only thing I did was crank up the sound. Everything worked perfectly and I had to remove backbox and playfield in order to get it into the basement. The one mod I made to the game is Cliffy protectors for shooter lane and two gobble holes. Send Jersey Jen an e-mail and ask to join the Goggle group. They will send you a reply with instructions on how to join. Jim Copeland - Cincinnati

#3016 7 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

I'd like to add some inner art decals/blades. I normally like to go with art versus mirror but does anyone have any pics they can share of what they have on their Hobbit?

hobbitxx1 (resized).JPGhobbitxx1 (resized).JPG

4 months later
#3641 6 years ago

When I upgraded my machine to version 1.90 I didn't have a clue what I was doing. Now it is time to attempt to install version 2.0. I notice on JJP website there is a download for "Hobbit Change Log version 2.0". Am I suppose to install this too or just "Hobbit Change Install Ver.2.0 (USA mirror)"? Thanks for any advice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fordtudoor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=fordtudoor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.