IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emptylogic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10680 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Here's pics of the game I just agreed to buy... I've no idea what's standard on the LE... can anyone tell me if there is much in the way of add-ons on this? Thanks!!

LE gets trim upgrades over SE - such as the Seaside bronze powder coated body armor, Premium Clear Coated Playfield, INVISIGLASS and Shaker Motor. Oh and the slings have little axes that swing when the sling fires.

the Black Arrow added black flippers and black captive ball... obviously different art on cabinet for each of the editions too.

#10707 2 years ago

My spider pop up does a stutter before popping up ie. pops up about a 1/4", drops down then pops all the way up - don't see any of the other pop ups do that with the exception of the goblin occasionally. Is that indicative of a coil problem?

#10709 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Check the stop nut at the bottom of the mech and maybe widen the gap in its leaf switch.
While looking at it verify if any wires are loose or crimped or missing insulation from rubbing.
the stop nut adjustment is to set the height of the door flap until its level with the playfield surface.

Thanks - the update switch i see is towards the top of the mech not by the stop nut, nearer to the playfield. I adjusted the stop nut, raising the mech slightly and it seemingly helped one of the mechs after testing though (not sure if it truly did)- the other still having issues

no other loose or crimped wires to note.

This is what it’s doing - https://streamable.com/nrdw3w

#10711 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Yes the switch is at the top behind the character head.
From the video it looks very much like the leaf switch gap has to increase.
The wobbling of the head is fooling the game into thinking it was struck by a ball.
You can see the leaf switch behind the head if you manually raise the mech.
Bend the gap open further.
Also see if the head is hitting the lip of the playfield.
This makes it wobble more and give false switch closures.

Thanks for your help! I took both mechs off - adjusted the stop nut and the leaf switch - working as it should now. Appreciate the support

#10716 2 years ago

I saw a mod someone made for the bag end shot which adds a one way gate to help keep the ball diverting to the third flipper but the fact that it looks like a binder clip turned me off especially at $50 shipped. This cost me next to nothing to print and I used an old coat hanger. The rock look blends in a touch better in my opinion. That said if you don’t have the means to make your own the binder clip version still adds a great feature which surely should have been implemented by the factory. Way more third flipper gameplay with it on.

Sharing in case it inspires some other ideas.
C71B6C26-3B87-424F-9277-3B92D5D1E916 (resized).jpegC71B6C26-3B87-424F-9277-3B92D5D1E916 (resized).jpeg

#10718 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

This “rocks”! Binder clip versions (hidden by Chuck’s Bag End lighted mod) are still available for those less savvy haha!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1305-trumpanche-mods/04739-gate-at-bag-end-mod-for-the-hobbit

hey you're the guy - lol - thanks for the inspiration

#10749 2 years ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

Hi Hobbit owners! I'm contemplating adding a Hobbit to my lineup but am not able to play one in advance unfortunately. And from speaking with friends who've played it and reading reviews/ratings, it's SO mixed! Seems to be either love, or people getting bored fast. I enjoy a challenge, but have a limit to my patience lol. My other consideration is - there are a lot of mechs that could potentially break down. Are either of these really a concern? Should I stop worrying and just send it?

I've only had the Hobbit for a few weeks now so I can't speak to long term maintenance issues - though if you read through the posts on this thread its pretty telling that the pop-up beasts tend to have some issues. As does Smaug - My hobbit delivered with the Goblin's hit switch wires severed, so I needed to repair that day one. (I'm the third owner)

Game play-wise - Long ball times, lots and lots of beast pop-ups - lots of modes running simultaneously with balls flying all over the place so it makes it difficult to try to complete book modes while that is going on.. you need to be very strategic when starting modes to do them efficiently. Once you understand how the modes start it does become a lot easier to plot out a successful course towards wizard modes.

I enjoy the game for what it is - if it wasn't the Hobbit - would I still enjoy it? probably not as the beasts pop-ups are constantly popping up and are the primary interactive feature on the table. Though, it is fun to blast them right in the face.. you can get them to disable during Smaug multiball by hitting the ring button after a beast super jackpot - that helps alot

I only have 2 games - Star Wars and Hobbit - ones really fast and typically shorter ball times and the other long with slower game play so it works for me... for now...

My suggestion is just buy one.. play it for a while and move on if need be... don't think you'll be able to appreciate it as much outside of a home setting

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 25.50
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emptylogic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=emptylogic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.