IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dug.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8186 4 years ago

I know this has been answered before, but I can't find it.
What is the production date when Hobbit's shipped with the upgrade kit installed by the factory?

Thanks in advance.

#8196 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Machines built after (07/15/2016) do not need the updates as they were installed at the factory.

Thank you!

2 months later
#8658 3 years ago

Just joined the club!
HUO still running 1.21 code. 521 total games played
Can't wait to update and explore.
Super excited!

#8689 3 years ago
Quoted from wizman71:

Same! I just picked up the smaug gold edition with 106 total plays! I was hunting for The hobbit or LOTR LE, probably going to try and get a hold of LOTR in the very near future but im excited to put way too many hours in on this thing!

Nice!
What code is it running?
3.10 is the latest and greatest

#8705 3 years ago
Quoted from coloradodan:

I feel dumb asking this-- but what do you use to measure the pitch?

Any good digital torpedo level. Here is one example
https://us.amazon.com/Craftsman-Torpedo-Digital-Level/dp/B005GL90QI

#8707 3 years ago
Quoted from wizman71:

Any advice on how to dig back there without having to take it apart? I can’t get a good angle at all to dig in there

Pull the playfield all the way out and stand it up against the backbox. Rubber piece should fall and end up in the bottom of the cabinet.
It's there somewhere!

#8712 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Did you guys see the post on Facebook that JJP said that all their machines should play at 6.5 if the leg levelers are screwed in flush and just adjusted if the floor is not level. If that is the case I bet I am playing my hobbit at 7.5 or 8!
It does play fast this way - which I have gotten used to. I am not sure I can go back to 6.5 (if I am way over it now).
Going to get a digital level to double check for sure...

My pitch is 7.1 - 7.2 with a digital torpedo level... Played around with different pitch and this seems to be the sweet spot for me.
6.5 was way too slow

3 weeks later
#8756 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I think mine is at 6.5....if I go to your suggestion, what strength for flipper adjustment?

I'm also at 7.1 - 7.2 and I have my flippers set to 25. default is 22. Works good for my game.

#8757 3 years ago

I've had the game for 6 weeks now and finally got to Barrel Escape yesterday. Still trying to kill Smaug... Such a cool game!

3 weeks later
#8817 3 years ago
Quoted from OchoFosho:

I've been having trouble with my ring button lately. Sometimes it just won't do anything. This will happen in-game or even between balls to change the skillshot. It'll just stop working, then it'll just start again a while later. The switch for that doesn't seem to be included in the test switches so I'm not sure where to go to diagnose this. Anyone experience this?
-RLF

Take the lockdown bar off and unscrew the screw on the back of the ring button a few turns so it pushes the micro switch down a bit more.
When you push the ring button you should be able to hear the "click" that triggers the micro switch.

1 month later
#8906 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Question for all you Hobbit owners: has any of you ever removed the head from the machine (and how difficult is it)? How much of a difference does it make (how much does the head weigh)?
Thanks in advance. I'm looking to possibly buy one and can take a regular pinball machine with my appliance dolly on my own. However, taking a Hobbit upstairs on my own does scare me. Usually my wife spots me when pulling them upstairs, but not looking forward to killing her with this one.

Call a few friends over. Provide Pizza and Beer, and make a mini party out of it.

1 month later
#9117 3 years ago

My posts are in the middle... pretty sure that's factory.
White regular rubber is what mine had.

Enjoy!

#9119 3 years ago

Per the manual
White silicon
Black rubber on BA

#9180 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

I just got my Hobbit on Sunday and have a question on when to use the ring button. I don't seem to understand when it asks if you want to suspend LOCK or MODE. Is it used to complete a 3 ball lock by suspending MODE or vice versa, suspending LOCK to complete a MODE. There is a lot to this pin man lol.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet#post-3178524
Once you understand the rules it really is an awesome game!

#9213 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:I switched from Titan Standard post sleeves to the Titan Stern Tapered post sleeves and have been happy with them. I have a full color matching kit uploaded to the Titan website with photos. Those photos can also be found in this thread.

I need to shop out my Hobbit. I just ordered your "kit" from Titan. Thanks for taking the time to do this... looks great.

1 month later
#9402 3 years ago

Game is very enjoyable with the new code...
Still lovin it!

1 month later
#9567 3 years ago

Awesome

2 weeks later
#9606 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

When the 'DWARF' drops reset they make a loud "BUZZZNCK" sound. Is this normal?

Yes

3 weeks later
#9732 3 years ago

Just ordered the gate at bag end mod...
Looking forward to seeing the difference for myself. Ill report my feedback after I check it out.

1 week later
#9789 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

The consensus in the Facebook forum so far has been 'bigger is better', but I'm torn!!

I'm thinking the 1.5" cause its closer to the original start button size. (That's my OCD talking.)

#9811 3 years ago

I installed Trumpanche's bag end gate mod.
Played a dozen games or so and I like it...
Just as described with a lot more use of the upper right flipper.
Should have been there from day 1

#9817 3 years ago

Ordered the bag end mod from PinWorlds and considering the ring shooter rod.
Love this hobby!

#9828 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Not to jump in here - but I see where you are coming from and agree with your points.
I ordered the mod for a few reasons:
1) It looks like it would be a fun game play mod to try.
2) I don't have a 3D printer - so I would need to get someone to print it anyway (and I don't even have the file to do so)
3) I wanted to compensate him for his time, materials, and bringing something like that to the hobby

This is exactly why I bought this mod. Add to that if I didn’t like the gameplay I could remove it in about 30 seconds.
I actually like the gameplay with the one way gate.

#9841 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

If I order one will I suck less?

It hasn't helped me.

#9862 3 years ago

Don’t know why it took me so long to purchase this bag end mod by pinworlds. It’s amazing!

5C54D84A-7C80-4575-8FA7-60613265A60D (resized).jpeg5C54D84A-7C80-4575-8FA7-60613265A60D (resized).jpeg
#9878 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I slightly lifted my gate mod and pressed the crooked hinge further in to be tighter against the plastic.
I played 3 games and no ball hangs.
The mod is worth every penny. Yes it could be cheaper. Yes you can make it yourself, etc.
But the guy who envisioned it and did the research deserves to be rewarded.
This mod is never leaving.
Pleas make one out of steel for long term durability, its not too hard to do, it just needs to be done.
Ill be your first customer.

Also the bag end model that covers the gate is awesome!

Could not agree more with what you said!
Love both mods.
I just checked my gate mod and after dozen's of plays it has not moved and I've had no ball hang ups.

#9879 3 years ago
Quoted from Nw55555:

If anyone is planning on selling Hobbit in the Midwest, please look me up. Willing to travel within 4-5 hours of Cincinnati. I do have an ad posted as well. Thanks!

Good luck in your search. Hobbit really is a special game. I have had mine for about a year and can't believe how much I enjoy this pin and I never watched the movies till a few moths ago.

1 week later
#9987 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeffswack:

Does anyone have a link to the gate mod?

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1305-trumpanche-mods/04739-gate-at-bag-end-mod-for-the-hobbit

If you don't want to or don't have the ability to 3D print your own.

1 month later
#10168 3 years ago

I picked up my Hobbit about a year ago and it's my most played favorite game.
It's a masterpiece!

3 weeks later
3 months later
#10571 2 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Just acquired a Hobbit Smaug and the LOCK roll-overs don't seem to go down so easy when the ball roll overs... they seem super stiff and change the trajectory of the ball pretty dramatically. Is that normal?

Not normal. What is the pitch of your game at?
I found the sweet spot to be 7.1-7.2
Don't have any weird deflections. May be worth taking a look with the playfield up to see if something is binding?
It's real tight in that area.
Best of luck

3 weeks later
#10669 2 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

Jealous. No one has ever beaten him at my house. Not sure, but I think we've only had one guy even come close. Owned it since launch and not really sure we even know what to do to kill him. Ha!

2 months later
#10994 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Where's thae best place to see a list of modes and what you have to do to complete them?
Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w8A56XYts9n-qZBQUL4VW4c91AIzoUmk/view

1 month later
#11125 2 years ago

I’m in for 4

1 week later
#11141 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

Pinside shop is open for the beast brackets and also another item I designed to reduce target airballs on my AIQ game that is free shipping if combined with the bracket. The brackets have to go at US package rate based on the size/shape and that includes tracking. Shipping to the domestic US at this time only (sorry all) but the .STL file is on thingiverse and tinkercad for public use and I will be looking into international options that are a little easier to manage than the Pinside / Stripe solution. I do appreciate the interest!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1377-hippies-haven[quoted image]

Ordered 4 as well.
Thanks for doing this!

4 months later
#11315 1 year ago
Quoted from docdeath:

I have yet to experience "flipper fatigue" in my LE Hobbit, unlike with Stranger Things & Pirates of the Caribbean.
Trumpanche & other Pinsiders: Have you had "flipper fatigue" with your Hobbits?
The advertised Extended Play Coil Cooler Kits appear as an excellent mod @ a very reasonable price. Should one purchase it as an safeguard? I assume the power supply is 12v.

Flipper fade is real with Hobbit. I noticed it after 30-40 minutes
Cooling fans make a huge difference.

2 months later
#11448 1 year ago

Anyone have a copy of the instructions for the beast mech anti-ball trap plastic pieces? I'm finally going to install but I don't see any instructions that came with the update kit.
Thanks in advance.

#11452 1 year ago

Raise the playfield all the way and lean it on the backglass.
Stick a ratchet wrench under the mech to hold it up/open while you work if they wont stay open.
If you are nervous, tape the wires out of your way with masking tape.
Hold the plastic insert firmly against the front of the cutout, under the playfield (now the upper part of the cutout, towards the top of the game...) with a heavy thumb.
Use an 8" magnetic extension (or 2 or 3 regular ones stuck together) on a screw gun, and install the screws. No drilling needed.
It helps to pre-load a screw onto the magnetic bit for first screw before starting each one.
Each one took me 2 mins to install.

That is very helpful.
Thanks!

3 months later
#11650 1 year ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I may go ahead and swap out my battery too. What size and manufacture is recommended?

It’s a CR2032 battery
I just recently changed them out on my JJP games. Took all of 5 min

#11655 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Looking for one of these if anybody has one for sale. Thanks
[quoted image]

I’m second in line.

1 month later
#11707 1 year ago

Pinball life has NOS backglass for Hobbit

2 weeks later
#11728 1 year ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Fingers crossed for a coop mode!

Now that would be sweet!

2 months later
#11843 1 year ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

Hey everyone...we just release our first mod of an event we are calling The 7 Days of Texas leading up to the Texas Pinball Festival. I am posting here because it is a mod for your favorite game...The Hobbit. See it here :
https://backalleycreations.com/collections/the-hobbit-pinball-mods/products/the-hobbit-replacement-apron-with-lcd-mod

Looks amazing Matt!
I’m looking forward to checking it out in person next week.

2 months later
#11978 11 months ago

This game is NEVER leaving from my collection.

I second that!

4 weeks later
#12077 10 months ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

I will read through the thread but is there anything I should have on hand repair wise? Optos/springs/switches? Also any links to cool mods?

https://mezelmods.com/products/the-hobbit-pinball-bag-end-mod

5 months later
#12660 4 months ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

Just curious what the main selling point is from the people who like it. For the longest time I wrote of Wonka, but one day I played it for like 2 hours and got into it and really like it. The Hobbit may never click for me, but I was curious the reasons people love it, to think about when I try it again.

It’s a fantastic immersive journey with incredible sounds. Lots of different modes that take you through an awesome adventure.
Ohh, and defeating Smaug may be one of the most satisfying shots in pinball.

1 month later
#12702 3 months ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

I did a thing! 3D printed this from thingiverse. Then painted it. And finally added the twine. Could not be happier with how it turned out.
Print took 17+ hours total.
Paint took about 2 hours.
Twine took about 20 minutes.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks awesome!

1 month later
#12833 53 days ago

I think that I might want one of those too.

Me too!

#12871 47 days ago
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 25.50
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dug.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=dug and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.