IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (8 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider delt31.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5213 5 years ago

so gameplay question here - I see the right ramp does modes which are self explanatory however what do you shoot when not doing modes? What are the best things to do outside of modes? I see a ton of drop targets everywhere and it appears a name under them. By hitting these do I enable that persons mode and if so, how can I pick one mode over the other?thanks

#5219 5 years ago

thanks guys - where is the best place to learn the rules? I know google is my friend but anyone find something very concise and to the point for the NEW code?

#5222 5 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

What JJP's last stream on the Hobbit. It's on their youtube channel. They go through everything.

cool thanks man!

#5230 5 years ago

Couple of questions:

Beast MB - how do you cancel it if you're in Smaug MB? Center button?

I hear this chime all the time - sounds like milk glass bottles hitting and then I see something pop up right side of screen (says up to 10 for barrels, X playfield) - what is this feature and how did I enable it?

Edit - it's the newton ball in the middle. Send to give awards....

How do you tell how much further you have along the journey you have (top right corner map - just seems like red dots especially when you're in the middle of it)

#5245 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I wish the rollovers LOCK switches weren't physical rollover switches but were a technologically based sensor using an eddy or photometer based switch so they didn't interfere with ball trajectories...this should be fairly easy to engineer using technologies that have been around for >25 years.

That's a good point as they definitely have some unexpected movements but I will tell you that it actually keeps me on my toes bc of it which I like!

2 weeks later
#5292 5 years ago

Any tips for that skill shot that is in the inlane and outline? Never able to get that one

#5302 5 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

So been playing my Hobbit for a week now. The outlanes are on the hardest setting and the center post is removed.
I have it on medium difficulty and still feel like I'm not even close to killing smaug. Certainly not disappointed that the game is too easy cause it's.. not! At least not with these settings.

Smart man. Anyone playing with the center post is really going themselves a disservice.

#5304 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Im not sure if disservice is altogehter right...
More like running marathons, instead of a jog in the park or a 100 meter dash?

Haha well put

#5308 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

I find this an intriguing discussion. I remember doing a small test at Midwest Gaming Classic a couple years back (when it was at the Sheraton). Both games were set the same, except one of them had the center post removed and the other did not. Funny thing is, the one with the center post removed actually had shorter ball time. I think it was due to the fact that people were "relying" on it too much instead of nudging the machine around. This was by no means a scientific test as there were many different players on the machines all weekend, just an observation. I find myself relying on the center post on games whenever there is one installed... and it usually ends with me losing the ball quicker.

Isn't that the expectation though? No center post equals shorter ball time?

#5312 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

sorry, i wrote that wrong. it was the opposite of what should have happened. the one WITH the center post had longer times. Like i said, this was by no way scientific and could have just been due to the level of the players playing that weekend and on that game.

Opposite of what should happen I would think is shorter ball times WITH center. It's that what you mean?

#5324 5 years ago

So I hear a horn after the ball comes to the top right flipper. I know you are expected to hit dwarf targets which I do but what is the award for that? Any dear Target?

#5329 5 years ago

hey guys - I've been playing so much hobbit that the white wire behind the R drop target has fallen off! The white and green wires connect to the leaf switch that allows the actual yellow R target to register however the white wire fell off.

Has anyone reattached theirs and if so, easiest way to access it? I'm trying to determine if I should go from the top of the PF or bottom. The giant drop target device doesn't make what should be a simple reattach any easier ; )

#5334 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Stand up targets are screwed to the underside of the playfield. Impossible to solder a wire for the top side. The lugs are below the playfield. You may have to disconnect a couple of connectors and remove the drop target assembly. Once the drop targets are out of the way you should have room to resolder the wire without removing the stand up target.
No easy answer. Sorry.
LTG : )

Thanks. Seems like it has to be done from underneath. Thanks for clarifying. I'll look into it.

#5336 5 years ago

There are only a few screws in the large target bank.
It drops right out fairly easy.

Thanks! All fixed.

1 week later
#5364 5 years ago

Any way to stop modes from starting while playing smaug mb? I rather not have to keep in pressing the ring

Also it would be cool if beast mb had its own music....

#5367 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I thought Smaug shots override any mode shots that were currently going. I just tried it and modes were going during smaug multiball but it didn't seem to affect any of the jackpot shots. It's all new to me so I'm not sure.

Thanks. The modes add more balls and then there after call outs related to the modes and a countdown.... It's just too much. I was hoping to just have smaug mb to focus on like we now have just beast mb by itself...

#5375 5 years ago

"treasure hunt during Smaug multiball and the victory laps after into the fire/barrels/ 5 armies "

Can you explain how to get these and what they are?

#5381 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Stop what you’re doing and install it right now! The new code makes it much more of a shooter’s game, and the beast multi ball which kind of took over the game before is much more balanced. It really does improve the game a huge amount.
I felt that way about the game a while back, liking not loving the game, and installing 2.95 completely changed it, it’s much more of a quick game to get achievements, although you can certainly go for much longer.
The game felt like multi ball all the time before, now you can plan things out better, and the modes are important for good scores. It doesn’t shoot all ultra-smooth like DI does, but it’s not supposed to. I think the latest code still feels like an adventure/journey, and you occasionally feel like you’ve been ambushed and are in the middle of a battle, which is what I think they were trying to convey.

I didn't own this game before the update but I still would like mb toned down a little. Specifically don't put me in a mode with smaug bc my modes will be mb if you lock them via orbit Wich happens all the time. I know you can disable this which is fine but I like them during mode play only. What I want is no modes allowed during smaug or beast. I would also like music for beast but that's not critical.

This game does a better job allowing itself to breath but I would still want it to breath just a little more. Pressing the ring button during smaug to cancel doesn't seem like the best solution either.

Underrated game if the year no doubt though

#5385 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You don’t think it’s a good idea to stack modes?

Not sure what you mean about stacking modes. I was talking about modes and smaug or beast at the same time. I like to focus on one thing at a time.

#5389 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Sorry, stack multiballs I meant. Beast MB is a mode too

Not a fan of stacking MBs too chaotic and takes away from the fresh factor

#5397 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I also think there should option to permanently postpone modes during Smaug MB. The game is now orientated towards rewarding the player for mode performance and progression so there should be a choice to stack or attempt to nail it. Sometimes Smaug MB during a mode can be a benefit (Flashback comes to mind) but there are many times it isn't and the mode/mb threads get lost.
You can press the ring button to 'postpone mode' but you have do do this every time a mode is qualified. In the end this becomes a real chore as you're trying to progress the MB by keeping the 4/5 balls in play, watch the LCD, watch the ring button - press the ring button, etc. It's a bit silly and the mode inevitably starts because you miss the 'postpone mode' option. This is the same in Beast MB by the way.

Amen. Well said.

#5401 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don’t understand. Smaug is VERY easy to follow if running while a mode is. All the shots are that flaming orange. Just ignore anything else but those until the SJP is lit. Then next phase do the same thing. Rinse repeat until you’re ready to load the windlance and take a shot at killing him.

The mode just feels like it's being wasted. I'm shooting SMB and I'm now getting call outs for a mode I'm paying no attention to? It just seems like overkill. I want to be enjoy everything that's going on as opposed to just rushing through just for the sake of progessing.

#5409 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Yes that's what he means. A countdown for a book mode during Smaug MB when you don't realise it's running.
Oh man, a 'disable mode start during Beast/ Smaug MB' in the options menu would = heaven!

Yes yes and yes. Thank you fellas. I feel the same.

I do agree that it shouldn't be a default. Definitely an option only.

#5412 5 years ago

Which ones are even completed there

#5445 5 years ago

list of right flipper shots/uses for someone that uses it all the time? I would love to skim and see what I might be missing......

10 months later
#7314 4 years ago

I played this game again at pinburgh.... What a gorgeous game with great sound and modes and integration.

#7356 4 years ago

well back in the club! This time with the black arrow edition. Very nice. Gorgeous game and really one of the best examples of music, theme integration and how to make modes feel special.

Game btw is heavy. Prob the heaviest JJP. Black arrow with all the fixes really makes this one feel the best imo. The pics of the black don't do it justice. It's much nice in person with some great art. It's def a unique game and I kind of missed my older one (SMAUG - another beauty).

This is the brightest modern game by far. Whoever puts pinstadiums on this should have their head examined. Great job jjp.

Also the led back light by Lermods it's very effective in this game! Highly recommended.

20190810_181546 (resized).jpg20190810_181546 (resized).jpg20190810_232355 (resized).jpg20190810_232355 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#7399 4 years ago

BA owner here and it's a black ball behind newton

1 week later
#7490 4 years ago

Guys remind me what do you hit when you hear that bottle sound coming from right top flipper? Also - is the scoring out of balance on skill shot? I ended up getting the inlane SS which is nearly impossible and it gave me the same points as the rollover target SS which is quite easy. Maybe I'm missing something?

Btw this game really is fantastic. Such a sleeper. Plays differently then others. Would never leave if my collection was larger ; )

#7492 4 years ago

good to know though about getting more for ones selected for you. I'll need to check how much more.

1 week later
#7518 4 years ago

My black arrow required one as well. Super cheap super effective. Sounds great!

#7526 4 years ago

Hobbit has to be the best value in Pinball right now. If I liked the theme, this game would never leave my possession. It rivals alien in presentation and sound. Simply incredible.

I'm going on an adventure!

#7531 4 years ago

I don't know - for me every game I buy gets a sub attached to it. Not even a question bc it makes a huge difference.

Hobbit is no different.

Never played a game where that sub didn't make a nice difference

#7539 4 years ago
Quoted from Barkz:

I don’t think TNA needs another sub

That's a good one. I remember the sub being really good. Good point.

1 week later
#7586 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

What helped me is I pretended the machine was telling me I had a small wee wee and I refused to allow such treacherous statements as such. I had to prove it wrong. In fact when I entered my initials Gandalf congratulated the keeper of the brass balls. LOL. (OK that parts not true)
I don't think there's any real "proven secret sauce" to this game but here's what I tend to do (in no particular order).
1.) If the Warg or Spider pops up flashing blue take the shot. Otherwise you may play hell waiting to get WARG and/or Spider down the road.
2.) Avoid actual Smaug locking when possible and shoot the loops when flashing green to obtain the add a ball at max of 3 when possible See #3).
3.) REMEMBER during Smaug MB that a mode will start by shooting the right ramp and being in MB mode increases your chances of qualifying. So Smaug MB is SUPER serious stuff - but not to worry about killing Smaug, but by focusing your efforts you can achieve completion of Feast Frenzy, Smaug MB, Erebor and a mode leaving only Beast frenzy left to qualify to get to your mini wizard mode.
4.) Practice and master hitting right VUK with right flipper and left VUK with Left flipper. WAY easier than trying to shoot opposite corners with opposite flippers. You can do this by stalled ball (easiest) or by holding up the appropriate flipper which will make the ball jump up and you can backhand in.
5.) Mini Wizard modes - just survive if your goal is to reach TABA. Otherwise play like hell to complete it!
Hope this helps!

Great post. Any other tips?

#7589 4 years ago

The sound in this game is truly unbelievable. Owning this longer, I'm noticing little things like for example, the mode where you have to hit the left ramp over and over but hitting switches prior increases the bonus - everytime you hit a switch you hear a dedicated sound that let's you know it's registering but it plays perfect with the overall sound. It's special to that mode only.

Also I find myself trying to look up at the screen bc I know I'm missing awesome video that goes along with the game. I wish there was a LCD in the pf bc of it like alien. The video on the right side of the screen is already helpful with mode tips so would want that to stay as is.

At 7k this game is a steal for what you get considering what we're seeing elsewhere.

#7593 4 years ago

two questions -

1) how do you earn the right outlane target to go into that mode where you can press ring button at the right time to ball save?

2) I hear a horn every so often while playing usually coming out of pops to right flipper. Is that a hurry up and if so, is it captive ball? never know what to do but I assume it means something

btw - this is the best lit game (brightness) out there in the modern era.

#7596 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Mystery award lights the Gollumn ball save.
I believe the horn you hear comes from when the ball exits to the right flipper after achieving 15 pop bumper hits. A dwarf target will be very temporarily lit blue. If you hit it, an opportunity to achieve an extra ball is created.

Awesome thanks.

Remind be how do you light that mystery? Center captive ball?

3 weeks later
#7673 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Thanks guys. You can try to place the strip as far back as possible to limit reflections, but still get good light. If you place it directly on the black plastic where the glass meets it, you’ll get more reflection. I have mine mounted on that plastic channel, but the reflection never bothered me.

I also have this on my hobbit and it's really great. Highly recommended. I have the reflection too but you forget about it pretty quickly and the effect is well worth it.

#7696 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Falling short of beating BOTFA I've seen and done everything on this game multiple times. I've become no stranger to hardware failures on this game (this time around was more bad timing than anything) but this wonkiness of ball save randomly disappearing and the flippers going dead is making me consider dumping it. Apparently JJP has decided that the code is "finished" so no more updates. I tested my flippers and they do work, I just cannot imagine going into another marathon hour and 45 minute game and having this shit happen again. I'm going to report this to JJP, and I suspect I won't hear anything back. But this behavior just might warrant a code update and maybe, just maybe a few other bugs and recommended code changes I've reported/recommended might get implemented.

I'm trying to get my head around a continuous play of almost two hours of Pinball. Wow

#7717 4 years ago

I recently beat smaug and it was awesome!

#7766 4 years ago

I'm not very good so this was an insane game for me.

Smaug dead
Reached the second wizard mode (stage 3 barrel mode)

I think I probably need to win more modes before going in but not sure I'm going to top this. Again I'm terrible haha

20191101_005529 (resized).jpg20191101_005529 (resized).jpg20191101_005535 (resized).jpg20191101_005535 (resized).jpg
#7776 4 years ago

so how many mode wins do you guys go into mini wizard mode with? 2? 5? doesn't matter?

btw mini wizard mode 2 (barrels) has this really cool sound effect in it. Like a zip noise. Sound and music package on this game is def #2, if not best of all time. It's crazy.

1 year later
#9792 3 years ago

Any hobbit owners want to get out, pm me. Cash ready....

1 week later
#9851 3 years ago

Back in the club! This time with my personal preference - Smaug edition. Has that elite topper too. Pretty cool - still thinking if it's worth to hold on to it or let it go. Will see when I set her up.

I will say the market for this game is much different than when I sold my BA last year. Maybe bad timing but it just seems very popular. I get the industry is on fire with every game seeming harder to get these days but hobbit used to be available everywhere. I wouldn't have believed it either until I tried to get one haha.

20210226_114400 (resized).jpg20210226_114400 (resized).jpg20210226_114414 (resized).jpg20210226_114414 (resized).jpg

#9857 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

In-out ... in-out ... delt31. Deja vous for you on JJP games it seems, but they're certainly worthy of the reconsideration!
Congrats and welcome back to the club! Cool topper to boot. Lovin' my Smaug Gold and EHT!
[quoted image]

Hmmmmm looks very familiar. Oh yeah I have literally the same layout haha

20210227_101251 (resized).jpg20210227_101251 (resized).jpg20210227_101254 (resized).jpg20210227_101254 (resized).jpg
#9864 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Yep - love JJP's widebody games!

The world will never see loaded wide bodies like that again for some time.

Or at least not near future.

1 week later
#9925 3 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

I'd choose whichever artwork you like the most. I chose the LE for that reason. It was a recent build, so had all the updates as well. I like having the characters on side of the cabinet as opposed to only the dragon. That's just me though. They all play 100% the same.

I just recently picked one up and as a previous black arrow owner, I went with smaug as I prefer the art package compared to the rest and that gold smaug. If you get smaug just make sure it has the latest fixes installed. Apparently that is a consideration on the LE too. The way I understand it, LE was original one than Jack said let's do a special LE which pissed people off (smaug) then they did Black Arrow (which imo, is the worst b/c the armor sucks).

The game plays much differently than the rest - not super fast but super deep and has some of if not the best theme integration along with music in pinball.

#9938 3 years ago

Interessting, Ive heard nothing but praise.
Amazing! Incredible! Cinematitic! Best game from JJP ever! etc...

Really? I always hear people think that it’s boring, floaty etc. I think others are realizing it’s really not like that but for many, they still do. Hence the price being the lowest jjp by far.

#9957 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Having a game in your home so you can understand the rules and callouts makes a big difference. I didn't like it either on a casual pass, now that we own one I like it a lot.

Same

3 weeks later
#10117 3 years ago

I am also interested in buying this if anyone has one. Pm me

3 weeks later
#10207 3 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

I like black arrow, I own a gold Smaug edition. It's up to you on art and what is available. Playfields are the same. Some argue the black arrow being late production has improved beast mech designs. I can't confirm that. I'd take anyone, it's all about the game play

Smaug all day for me not just bc of the gold dragon, great art but really the armor. After owning both, Black arrow looks like it has stern pro armor on it. Just very boring

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 25.50
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider delt31.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=delt31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.