IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (8 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5088 5 years ago

I think they should change it to pause timers on trap up to make you hit something to continue the timers.

Two benefits here:

Makes getting to TABA harder

Allows the player to take time to look up and assess their current mode situation and better learn what to do in the mode.

#5090 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Ted said they weren't going to do this.
And congrats on getting TABA.

Oh okay. Fair enough.

No big deal though. Sure you can time out modes to get to TABA, but still difficult to even do that.

And the modes have so much more to them that in any other scenario in which your attacking the game, you absolutely want to play then and complete them. Especially when playing for score.

This game is pretty awesome. Glad I gave it another shot.

#5112 5 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

The new code pushed me over the edge. I have joined the club! My NIB Black Arrow shall be delivered tomorrow. Huzzah!

Played a black arrow recently. Love the all around look of it.

#5114 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Yeh the pics look great. I looked images up on JJP site. Haven't seen one in person but hope to some day. I've got the LE and the cabinet artwork is just right for me.

Loved the black flipper bats too. Not sure if there were any other playfield differences though.

#5126 5 years ago

The wave of the battle of the five armies where you have to go back and forth hitting the dwarf targets in order and hitting beasts is awesome too.

#5145 5 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I haven't installed the new code as I want to play a couple of games on the old code to see what has changed. I don't play this game that much, I only have 86 games and half of those I never finished.
So with that being said, what's a good video to watch that shows gameplay? The problem I had with this game is that I didn't know what to do. Other games I can figure out like GB.
thanks

Shameless plug. We talk about various strategies and how to play modes. Also we get to most everything in the game.

JJP also has their own YT channel with prior live streams of hobbit that are great as well.

#5147 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

The first few games I didn’t even break 500M as I hadn’t played in months, but the third game I started getting into the zone and kept getting extra balls and mulitballs keeping the game going. That Smaug kill sequence is so bad ass, gives me chills. I noticed quite a few new callouts and animations in this code update and the book, insert lights and status reports really help to understand what to do to progress through the game. Going to play more Hobbit tonight and give Iron Maiden LE the cold shoulder lol[quoted image][quoted image]

But that score is only in the millions.

#5156 5 years ago
Quoted from Yfichelle:

Ohhh !! I must complete 6 modes of each qualifier in order to have the roaming target ?

My understanding is you must complete each qualifier Before starting the next mode. Then the treasure hunt starts. I think after completing treasure hunt the extra ball lights.

I am also confused on this. Haha

#5172 5 years ago
Quoted from Yfichelle:

Hi all,
the switch 36 (orc pop hit) dont work anymore... i have seen that the wire of my orc mechanism has been cut... i have dismounted it and so i added a wire between the 2 cut wires which are connected by 2 connectors. But now, the orc is coming out well but is coming down immediatly as if it had been hit. What can be the problem ?
thank you,
Yannick

Adjust the switch gap. Make it less sensitive.

#5174 5 years ago
Quoted from Yfichelle:

i try to find it... but i need to dismount again the mechanism ?

Nope. Just hold the mech up so that it’s above the playfield. You can get to the switch easily there.

1 week later
#5185 5 years ago
Quoted from Yfichelle:

Hi all,
I have a question for you. On my hobbit, is there a way to mount the flips a little bit to cushion the balls?
When the ball arrive on the lane i cant never stop it (even if the ball is slow).
Tx for your answer.
Yannick

That’s pinball. You can try superbands on the flippers to help slow the ball down, or You can adjust the flippers so they sit higher at rest, thus travel higher to allow trapping easier.

However, this adjustment will change the shot geometry.

So in short, play better. Haha

#5187 5 years ago
Quoted from Yfichelle:

Not a question to play better ;o) but i see some videos where player do nothing and the ball stop on the flip (on hobbit)... so the guy must have the pinball more flat than me.

Yep or different rubbers. Or different alignment of the flippers or leveling of the game. Or they have worn coil stops that allow the flipper to travel too high.

Imo, you should never be able to trap from an inlane feed.

#5215 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

so gameplay question here - I see the right ramp does modes which are self explanatory however what do you shoot when not doing modes? What are the best things to do outside of modes? I see a ton of drop targets everywhere and it appears a name under them. By hitting these do I enable that persons mode and if so, how can I pick one mode over the other?thanks

Every single mode has a qualifier that is earned by spelling elf, dwarf or man or a combination of two or all of them. Once you’ve collected them the mode ramp will light.

If you don’t like the mode that’s lit, shoot left ramp and use the flipper to toggle to another mode before the ball hit the right inlane switch.

I shoot for either MB, erebor spinners, collect dwarfs, etc when not in a mode as collecting those items works you towards the arkenstone modes.

2 weeks later
#5279 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I was hoping LTG sees this post he does such a great job advising people and with a newbie like me I need all the help I can get. Thanks

Why not send him a PM? I’m sure he’d see that.

2 weeks later
#5371 5 years ago

Like posted above I’ll add.

I’ve been to the the final wizard mode and didn’t break 4 million.

Then the game after that I completed a 4 Star mode and took that to Into the Fire and got over 2 million.

Biggest scoring opportunities I see is making sure you are taking at least a 3 Star mode into the arkanstone modes.

#5386 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Not sure what you mean about stacking modes. I was talking about modes and smaug or beast at the same time. I like to focus on one thing at a time.

No one would ever, I mean ever see TABA if you couldn’t play a mode with MB.

#5398 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Amen. Well said.

I don’t understand. Smaug is VERY easy to follow if running while a mode is. All the shots are that flaming orange. Just ignore anything else but those until the SJP is lit. Then next phase do the same thing. Rinse repeat until you’re ready to load the windlance and take a shot at killing him.

#5400 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Nice job on your there and back again video have you been able to complete it ?

Haven’t played it since. Haha

#5403 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

The mode just feels like it's being wasted. I'm shooting SMB and I'm now getting call outs for a mode I'm paying no attention to? It just seems like overkill. I want to be enjoy everything that's going on as opposed to just rushing through just for the sake of progessing.

Every time I’ve ever been in Smaug I feel like all I can hear are callouts for that. Maybe I’ve just gotten lucky.

#5406 5 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

Even worse is when gandalf counts down 3,2,1 time's up. Confusing for sure.

But you know that’s only for book modes.

#5408 5 years ago

I just hope if they were to do that it’s a setting and it’s not default.

#5422 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Does it have a final final mode and if so, what do you do to complete it?

Yes. Play every mode to light it. Hit a hole to start it. You have to hit one shot that’s flashing to advance to the next level. You have to get through all the modes again to beat it.

#5425 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Wouldn't playing every mode be practically impossible? Has anyone here ever done that in a regular 3-ball game?

Yep. Haha

#5432 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I can't imagine anyone could actually complete all 31 modes!

Yeah that’s impossible. No way anyone could do that. Especially since you cannot replay them.

#5434 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

So another question about this Final Mode.....do you have to go through all 3 Wizard modes to be able to get to the Final Mode, or is an independent event (i.e. once I have started all 31 modes, it becomes available regardless what else I've done to that point)?

Only requirement is playing all 31 modes.

#5456 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I thought you could go back and complete a mode you hadn't finished ,still learning the game . great pin Ted

No. There’s no way to do that. So if the mode is lit up in color, you’ve played or completed it. Since that is all that matters for getting to TABA, I don’t see all the color coding as necessary.

#5458 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Would there be any negatives to going back to a mode. the way it is now it's good it makes you play all the different modes but on the other hand it could be good to be able to go back and complete modes.

Then you could exploit the scoring in the arkanstone modes. You could just keep playing a 4-5 Star mode until you’re done with it, then blow the game up on the arkanstone mode.

#5462 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

So what happens when you have started all the modes, and want to start another? Is that when you can start TABA - and after that all the modes reset? Or do all the ones you didn’t complete reset?

Current code: Once you have played them all, you hit either hole to start TABA. After that, all Modes reset so you can play them again.

All other game progress stays.

#5465 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

So you can do TABA before ITF right?

Yes. Only requirement for TABA is playing every mode.

2 weeks later
#5505 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Ok, so can someone tell me.
How many waves are there in the mini-Wizard modes to actually defeat them? I get Into the Fire on most games, and I fight through 3 or 4 waves, but usually I can't get past that 4th wave. Is that the last one, and you defeat it if you get through it? Or is there a 5th or 6th wave (or even more)?
Same for Barrel Escape and BOTFA....is there someplace that documents exactly what must be done to fully complete those?
Thanks - Robert

Starting at 45 mins of this video we play a game where we get to all the mini wizards. I don’t think we complete any of them, but it may help you with the rules as we talk them out as we play.

Then at 2 hours 30 mins I start an Into the Fire and complete it. There you can answer your questions at least for that one.

#5507 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Thanks....I'll watch the video when I get some time. Main question though is: Is there no place where it's documented how to defeat each of the mini-Wizard modes and how many waves each one entail? I was disappointed when I got my Owners Manual and how large it was to find out 95% of it was schematics and only a tiny fraction of the game play was actually documented. I would hope (once the final code is dropped) that they would fully document how to progress through different parts of the game (I know there's a flowchart, and there are colors directing you to individual shots, and callouts), but it would be nice to know some of these more advanced game flow questions.

Unfortunately it’s on us the enthusiasts to come up with the detailed rule sheets and walkthroughs. It’s rare that a manufacturer will produce something like that. And on a detailed game like this, extremely unlikely. Plus with code updates whatever is put together will be useless after a few updates.

And I’d be shocked if they released something even after the game is complete.

#5510 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Agree 100 percent. This is why I like those PAPA How To videos - they will step you through the rules and attempt to get as far as they can - explaining the rules as they go. There are 32? modes in the hobbit (each with different rules of course), several multiballs like Smaug and Beast Frenzy, three mini wizard modes with a final wizard mode (each with several phases to complete). It is a ton of modes and rules. That is quite a lot to document. Hell of a game to be honest.

Yeah if I owned one of these I would be happy to record a walkthrough, but alas no game at home. Maybe down the road I’ll scoop one up.

#5512 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

To complete each mode too?
EDIT: I think if you start and COMPLETE each mode you should get a 1 million point bonus.

That would be super tough, i guess I would have one session that would cover all modes only. Should I not get to the end of the mode, I would just talk over what was left to complete it, then play another one to keep things moving.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.50
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=chuckwurt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.