IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (8 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chrislix.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5530 5 years ago

Hello everybody,

I am proud and so happy to say I finally got my 1st modern pinball machine at home:The Hobbit LE I bought it from a guy who was the 1st owner, it's pretty like new imo!
This game is sooo perfect for a home use with the amazing soundtrack (thanks to my favorite group Two Steps from Hell) and the stunning animations. I felt in love with the machine when I tried it at the Pintastic 2018 but I know I would enjoy it more at home. In fact, I love all JJP machines to be honnest but I think Hobbit was THE machine to start with and considering I have 2 kids who will enjoy it too.

I am happy to see there's a great community here and I already read a lot of your posts. I ordered Cliffy's protector's because this was a mod that I found quickly to be a MUST have (despite the not easy procedure to install them but I'll take my time).

I have 3 questions actually :
1) Do you have a trick to make the metal ramps shine like new (without having to remove the thing if possible lol). There's a lot of traces caused by the ball travelling.

2) The guy before me set the game at 5 balls, and put a lot of settings on easy. I reset those settings to default (medium), removed the center post, and opened the 2 outlane entries. Now, I would like to reset the "recent standards audits" because it's exactly the same numbers displayed compared to all time stats..
So that would give me stats since I have the machine in RECENT and total stats in the 2nd column. Is it possible to do this and is it a good idea?

3) Just curious, what are your "must have" mods for this machine? There's already gold coins overs the flips and a nice sword for the plunger. I was thinking to get "green Convulux plastic protectors" and the "gold ring with the metal plate" for the lockbar button.

Thanks guys

1 month later
#5881 5 years ago
Quoted from Mallich667:

I'll list the strange behaviours below:
- At the end of a game Smaug only sets the playfield on fire when no one is allowed to enter their initials. If, for example, someone reaches a daily highscore, when smaug breathes fire, the lightshow is the same slightly flashy lamps as during entering initials. Also the lights stay this way until the start button is hit again and another game is started.
- The font on the screen near the ring button and down the score, seem a little more cloudy than before the update.
- Also there are small screen glitches near the ring button animation on the screen, depending on the color that the ring is showing at the moment. It's worst, when the ring lights orange (to light Torin).
- The LED's in the bumper area used to flash light blue. Now I have all variations of colors. From red, orange to dark blue. I'm not quite sure if this is a new color coding for bumper progress?
- When the map is completed and the Erebor music is played, at some point the music suddenly stopps. Not sure if It was because the captured ball got hit, or just something else, that quits the music.
Is there someone else who noticed strange things after the last update?
Greetings from Germany
Daniel Lammich

Hello,

LTG or other users, I am a little worried to update when I read this, could you confirm or explain those points please?

And last question, if I do a backup before, does the backup save the games counters so when I'll reinstall the backup it will bring back all game played and audits?

Thanks

2 weeks later
#5986 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Wow. Was just having a great game and started Smaug multiball on progress towards arkenstone number two and during multiball start sequence, the screen went black, flippers went dead, and it rebooted. First time that has ever happened. Running 3.0.

I got the blackscreen trouble too on day 1 after installing 3.0 but so far so good since...

The only other problem I have (and there's this trouble since I got the machine before 3.0 so), and I don't know if it's a common problem or if there's a fix for this, but sometimes, when I start up The Hobbit, the display on the monitor is completely screwed... Like green vertical lines, or red vertical lines and picture is totally destroyed, this is very terrifing but... I stop the machine and restart it then problem is solved. Sometimes it can take 2 or 3 try but after that it works flawlessly. I am the only one to get this problem?
Maybe I am not clear, I'll take a photo the next time it happens

1 week later
#6040 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I believe you lose audits and games played. Just backs up settings or adjustments you've made.
LTG : )

Forgot to give an update on this, but if it can help others, YES, ball counts were indeed in the backup, so after restoring backup on the V3.00, all stats were back!!

1 week later
#6114 5 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Just got to Barrel Escape for the first time - Amazing! Such a rush, I love it.

Cool!! Same for me this week too.
Honestly, those scenes are amazing! I never reached the 3rd scene, so for now my favorite one is "Into the Fire".
I have this pinball since 3 month now, playing with outlanes opened and center post removed so it will be hard to reach it but this is what I want I don't want this to be too easy.
Killed Smaug 2 times, Won Into the fire 1 time in less than 10 tries and Barrel Escape 1 time too in 2 tries.

1 week later
#6156 5 years ago

Hello,
I have 2 little troubles with my Hobbit. Maybe someone could give me a tips on how to solve them

1) Since a few days, my Orc randomly seems to hesitate before popping up. (see at 0:04 & 0:13)
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au8iWRzg08HDpE5MkuFtMOQW72_T

2) This one happens less often and it started exactly since I've upgraded to 3.0 1 month ago. At the beginning of a ball, as soon as the ball arrive in the launcher, the skillshot is selected automatically and the autolaunch kick the ball immediately. Any other people have seen this after upgrading to 3.0?

Thanks

#6160 5 years ago
Quoted from elf70:

I think I may recall having seen something about checking your switch matrix - seeing if anything is triggered on the playfield when it shouldn't be. Not sure about this but I seem to recall that certain switch triggers (shorted? misadjusted?) can cause this behavior. I'd suspect the game may mistakenly think something is in play and launch the ball for you.

Hello,

It happened 1 time yesterday. Here's the event log that show exactly the scenario. Looks like an ELF Skillshot but I have check the matrix switches and I never saw an unattended switch activation...
Will wait the next time to see if it happens again on ELF skillshot autoselection or if it's random with any SS.

IMG_20190107_185610~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20190107_185610~2 (resized).jpg
#6163 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Lower the screw/rubber stopper at the bottom of the assembly.

LTG, same solution for 2 differents problem? One is refering to the monster cover not falling flush with the playfield and the other one is refering only to the monster hesitating to popping up.
Just want to be sure before playing with that thx

#6249 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Lower the plunger for cover, raise the plunger for popping up better.

Thank you very much LTG for the info. 3 monsters on the 4 weren't correctly adjusted.
Unfortunatelly, this didn't solve the random problem on the ORC, who sometimes, do a mini jump before going up (like showed on the video https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au8iWRzg08HDpE5MkuFtMOQW72_T)
Any other suggestion?

Thanks

#6370 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Check if it's hitting the playfield going up.

LTG I think you are right. Look at the picture. The back is touching the playfield and wearing the wood. You can see on the 2nd pic that it's not centered too if we look from the top.
I tried to unscrew some screw under the playfield and tried to center it but it's moving.. I have no clue how to adjust this.

IMG_20190119_165459~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20190119_165459~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20190119_171849 (resized).jpgIMG_20190119_171849 (resized).jpg
#6372 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Pull the mech up all the way by hand and literally bend it back away from the area its rubbing.
Just push it back about 1/8" or 3mm.
The mech bends pretty easy.

Wow ok.. Will try!

#6374 5 years ago

Pull the mech up all the way by hand and literally bend it back away from the area its rubbing.
Just push it back about 1/8" or 3mm.
The mech bends pretty easy.

Problem solved After put back in the correct position, a new problem arrived (false hit when popping). I adjust the switch and now it works perfectly!
Thanks for your help!

1 month later
#6642 5 years ago

Yesterday, when lifting up the playfield to replace a spring, I discovered something broken in multiple parts. The parts were a little everywhere so difficult to know from where it dropped so I have no clue where it comes from. The game still works perfectly so...

Any idea what is it?

Thanks for your help

20190302_191517 (resized).jpg20190302_191517 (resized).jpg
#6647 5 years ago

Ok I found the broken parts. I discovered that they are all broken for E L F and M A N. And for F of dwarf.
It's the plastic that retain the letter to fall with the ball pressure.
Without those plastic, the letter fall very easily with a lot less pressure...
Looks very hard to replace unfortunately

I am a little shocked to discover this. The game has just 3 years, it looks like it will be a job to redo always except if it's a known problem by JJP and they sell now a more reliable plastic.

Probably the price of those plastics are cheap but it's the time it will take to replace them that will be crazy.

Curious to see if other owner could inspect their Hobbit to check if the problem is at large.

Thanks

received_440369020036657 (resized).jpegreceived_440369020036657 (resized).jpeg
#6648 5 years ago

On this side ( M A N) it's completelly missing for M and partially broken for A and N.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1972553733.jpeg_1551626330413 (resized).jpegUSER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1972553733.jpeg_1551626330413 (resized).jpeg
#6655 5 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

You don't need to replace the entire mech, as it is possible to buy just the main bracket. Unfortunately for you guys on the wrong side of the Atlantic, I have only been able to find them in a German web shop:
http://www.shop.freddys-pinball-paradise.de/index.php?&lang=e&lnge=1
Search for 10-8002 and you'll find the two brackets, for 3- and 5-bank.
We replaced one mech due to this problem, but the next time it happened we just super-glued things more or less together again. The glued ones have worked great as well. I'm sure it would be possible to 3D-print a replacement ledge and glue it on, if the original ledge is too broken to glue together. Or maybe drill out the rivets and glue a Stern ledge on: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-6163-05 ? I haven't checked the dimensions to see if it would work.

50Euros for the 5 bankdrop + 2x 42.50Euros for the 3 bandrop + Shipping (40Euros) = 153Euros
I am pretty sure we could get a better price if we could buy it directly from JJP than ordering in Europe.

I found this post on pinside, dated from 2 years ago:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-setup-tweaks-and-adjustments/page/7#post-3500222

I am curious to see if JJP has improved the version they sent him. If not then maybe the solution of Glueing it could be the only one.
If not possible to buy plastic directly from JJP, I like the idea to 3D print those plastics and just glueing them instead of using rivets. With this solution, no need to purchase new main brackets. It would be the less expensive option.

8 months later
#7803 4 years ago

Hello, everybody. So after seeing small plastic pieces falling down little by little during the last year in the bottom of the cabinet, it arrived at a point where one of the drop target wasn't able to stay in UP position. The reason is that there was no rest ledge plastic anymore to keep the target in position. I've tried to find a way to replace only those rest ledge plastics but it's not possible to buy them anywhere separately.

So here are the 3 items I've ordered directly from Jersey Jack. BTW, very great communication with the support and fast shipping!

2x (MAN & ELF) : JJP Part Number 10-008002-03
1x (DWARF) : JJP Part Number 10-008002-05

Total : 87.97 + tx & shipping.

This include the Metal Frame (Main Bracket Assembly) including black plastics.

As you can see, after 3 years of use, they are completely destroyed:
- MAN target bracket :
IMG-20191027-WA0012 (resized).jpgIMG-20191027-WA0012 (resized).jpg
- ELF target bracket :
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpgIMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg

Side by side, one of the new bracket I've received with of of my old one.
IMG_20191027_102423 (resized).jpgIMG_20191027_102423 (resized).jpg

As the problem will probably restart in the future, my idea is to keep my old bracket and 3D print the black plastic and fix them with new rivets.

Fortunatelly, replacing the old frames with the new took a lot less time that I was expected. Calculate 30-40 minutes each.

So I am sharing you how to proceed. (Note that the procedure will be the same for the 5 drop targets with just more screws):

1) Disconnect the drop target connector
IMG_20191027_090400 (resized).jpgIMG_20191027_090400 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090419 (resized).jpgIMG_20191027_090419 (resized).jpg

2) Remove those 4 screws
IMG_20191027_090807 (resized).jpgIMG_20191027_090807 (resized).jpg

3) Remove the 4 screws from under the playfield
IMG_20191027_091023 (resized).jpgIMG_20191027_091023 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091030 (resized).jpgIMG_20191027_091030 (resized).jpg

4) Remove all washers and springs to release the targets. And remove the 3 white screws at the bottom. Try to not rotate the nuts independantly so your targets will stay correctly adjusted on the new bracket.
IMG_20191027_092217 (resized).jpgIMG_20191027_092217 (resized).jpg

5) Remove the 4 screws that were located behind the drop targets.
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpgIMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg

6) Remove the 12 remaining screws for each coils and coil stops.
IMG_20191027_094800 (resized).jpgIMG_20191027_094800 (resized).jpg

7) Rebuild the kit on your new frame in reverse order and enjoy your game!!

So, as you can see, it's easy. It's just disappointing how this part of the game is unreliable. The rivets are probably too big and doesn't keep enough plastic on the top and the bottom to keep them enough strong. Will see if the new brackets get a better success!

#7805 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I HIGHLY recommend that the FIRST time you have to remove a target bank, you remove every small coil mount screw and blue loctite em. These things can/will get loose and fall out. Tearing this bank apart is not exactly fun so do it!

Maybe you are right, but I can confirm that they were still solidly fixed and not moving at all. The 2 only weakness I think there are in those bank targets are the rest ledge plastics and the spring that needs to be replaced sometimes (but I don't care too much about springs because they are very easy to replace).

#7807 4 years ago

Its possible that they were riveted too tight and fractured.
The cracked ledge then failed after a short while.

I hope so

1 year later
#10344 2 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Let me know if you have any issues with this.
Code update v3.11 for The Hobbit pinball

I am not able to save the time properly since 3.11.
I am in Montreal so I select Toronto as the timezone.
And for the time, I put 18h30 for exemple then when I save, when I left the tab then come back date as changed to 06:30... and at the botton right it says 02:30 AM..
so looks like there's an issue with that.

Someone could try please?

#10346 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I think that you have to hit the start button after the change to save the time zone. It was confusing for me too. It says what you have to press to save at the very bottom line on the screen. Otherwise it will change back to Chicago time zone.

My timezone is properly saved... but still have the time issue.. weird!

#10348 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

ChrisLIX
Is it connected to the internet? (Ethernet or WiFi)? My time is working but I’m connected to the internet and am in the same time zone as Chicago…

No, not connected..

1 week later
#10381 2 years ago

Is it possible that V3.11 broke the roaming blue target to earn extra-ball?
I qualify for all modes by getting Dwarf, elf, man, gandalf, radagast and bilbo without starting any mode but I don't get it anymore.
I veryfied the game settings and I am still set in "normal" preset. Anyone could test this please?

thanks

#10383 2 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

Works on mine

That's really weird, looks like I am missing something but what?

#10385 2 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

Sometimes I think I am qualifying the roaming blue but it doesn't do it. I am on 3.10 but maybe, like myself, are not 100% in understanding when it is qualified. I know you need to qualify all of the modes by hitting the shots you said but there must be other stipulations.

Ya I think I missed this point :
In book mode difficulty set to normal (4), the game gives you a spotted qualify which means you can't get the roaming target for the extra ball at the very beginning or even after a ball lost.
You have to do a mission and be sure that after the mission, you don't have any remaining qualify items enable. If that's the case, you can go ahead and make the 6 qualify and you should get your chance to hit the roaming target.
To avoid that, Eric Meunier suggested in a video to set the book mode to hard (5) so the game never gives you the spotted qualify but instead you have the chance to get the roaming target at the game startup or after a ball lost.
I've to test this week-end to confirm

UPDATE: I confirm that it works I kept the difficulty to NORMAL (4). Started a game and there was already one of the 6 qualify enabled. So I started immediately the mode then at the end I just qualify all the 6 then the roaming target appeared!
Fun to still learn some rules after 3 years

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chrislix.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=chrislix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.