IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (8 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider WesleyCowan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1175 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

My hobbit has it but not the new pop up fix. It works great.

I have a SE on pre-order but haven't yet pulled the trigger to have it sent to me. Main reasons waiting to see how the new habit trails are working out and want one with the new pop up fix already installed. I hate continue to wait and it feels like JJP is getting real close to have games come off the line in good shape. I realize in shipping things can come loose and very minor issues aren't too upsetting should mine have any. That said, I believe JJP learned a lot in making WOZ and glad that most early TH productions issues have seem to be much milder compared to some of the early WOZ issues on some of those, not all. I believe JJP is learning a lot and hopefully this will continue and looking forward to hearing what JJP #3 will be!

So ready to have sitting TH next to my WOZ!

2 years later
#5939 5 years ago

Updated today. First thing I noticed was Smaug’s mouth defaulted to open - and his “lip sync” animation didn’t work right. His mouth would close when speaking. I adjusted his min/max mouth settings and got it to work.

Do you remember how much you had to change the min/max settings to get the lip sync correct? Having same issue and I'm unsure once I get into the settings how much change to make to each of them.

2 years later
#10848 2 years ago

Having to jump start WOZ and think it's the board itself. Did just fine with motherboard from my Hobbit I borrowed to see if it would start okay with a different board. Plays fine with no know errors but won't ever start up without being jump started. Any suggestions or ideas on what to try next or possibly test with DMM on the motherboard?

10 months later
#11516 1 year ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

Lloyd is the best.

Lloyd is amazing and has been for many years on this and other pin sites. He gives so much of his time and knowledge. Whatever reason JJP let him go makes no sense. And he still helps out on this thread which I think is ultra classy!

6 months later
#11820 1 year ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

1. For me the ledge on the target ramp has broken. Fairly easy fix. The pop up monsters break. Easy fix but redicoulus overpriced.
2. The callouts are simply the best there are in pinball. The best.
3. It's used for the upper target ramp during modes and killing smaug.
If you want more use for it, get the baggends mod. Then you can also avoid the pesky sdtm pop returns.
4. Not really.
This is the game that has lasted the longest in my home.

Not perfect all pins require some repairs eventually, but one of the most reliable pins I've owned.

4 months later
#12299 9 months ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

LTG is genuinely the most helpful, selfless person I have encountered online.

Totally agree. Probably would have long ago quite working on pins out of frustration and lack of knowledge. LTG is awesome!

6 months later
#12709 87 days ago

When I turn on Hobbit it begins the boot process but then the monitor begins flashing and after several minutes goes dark. I 've tried reloading the latest code update, jump starting the machine and turning it on and off. Also reseated SATA and monitors cables.

Any ideas what to try next?

#12711 87 days ago

Okay took out PSU and it tests fine. Reseated every connector and put new RAMs in CPU. Also redownloaded software for game.
Not it turns on including monitors, leds on fuses and all the lights and monitor is showing in attract mode. But start button not lit and it won't start game Nor go into game menu to let me start tests, settings etc.

1 week later
#12742 78 days ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Okay took out PSU and it tests fine. Reseated every connector and put new RAMs in CPU. Also redownloaded software for game.
Not it turns on including monitors, leds on fuses and all the lights and monitor is showing in attract mode. But start button not lit and it won't start game Nor go into game menu to let me start tests, settings etc.

Found this on I/O board blown.
It is a very small blue one. There are two on the board. But would this allow game to boot up, get to start with monitor in attract mode but then not start game and not allow to get into menus abd tests? I didn't have time to replace it yet, but wondering.

Capacitor, MLCC, Leaded, 100nF, 630V, 10

Quoted from pinballinreno:

Loose connector for the door switches?
Not set to free play?
Did you backup your settings? Did you try to install your backup settings?

Finally Hobbit is mostly working after putting in a different time CPU and I/O board

Sure was wonderful to have it turn on and hit start and it started after weeks on and off of frustration! Thanks to all who gave suggestions or well wishes!

New problem is now all the pop up mechanisms come up right time in game but go up and down really fast i.e shot gunning. Did the usual check fuses, looked at manual and reseated relevant in the game on I/O connectors. Must be overlooking something.
Since it's all 3 can't believe it's mechanical. Any thoughts on what else to check?

#12744 77 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Sounds like a connector issue.

Tired of Hobbit and working on it and things going backwards. Put in an extra I/O board and game finally booted. Everything working working except pop ups when they came up would go up a d down really fast and not react to being hit.

Tried reseating connectors on bag end board. Now game acts dead except leds on I/O board only on. Nothing else at all not any fans, no lights, nothing but red I/O leds. Tried going back over every area of bag end boards and reseating any cables/ connectors releared to power. Reseated PSU power chord. Did all these with game turned off.
Tired of working on it lately and seemingly working on WOZ even way more. Hobbit had been very very solid until just recently. Think it's my idiocy and not the pins.

#12746 77 days ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Sometimes taking a break from a given title is the best thing you can do. Pins are a love/hate kind of thing, especially if you might be like me where I know enough to be dangerous. The good news is when you catch your breath, and you are persistent, this forum will continue to provide guidance until you figure it out. The more detail, pix, and data you give, the better chance we can help you find AND fix your issue. Keep the faith bud!

I keep imagining selling them or paying someone to haul them away at this point. So damn frustrating. Sometimes I wish I had chosen another hobby! Like sky diving, nothing could ever go wrong then.

Good advice, I need a break and will take it!

#12747 77 days ago

After spending way too long reseating crap and testing PSU game starts.

Still getting Bag EndEGB board error, not lights but spotlights and the mechs when popping up basically shot gunning. Done for now.

#12751 77 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Any chance the up/down switch and target face connectors are mixed up ?
LTG : )

Yes not sure where to look as pooped out from going over the game, reading relevant larts of Hobbit manual and reading Pinside repair threads and feeling quite discouraged.

I'll give it a try in a bit a d report back.

#12752 77 days ago

Tried that just now and saw no change, unfortunately

#12754 77 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Sorry.
LTG : (

Certainly no apology needed, but thanks! You do so much for pinball!

#12771 71 days ago

Hobbit playfield lights finally working.

Pop ups still going up and down ridicously fast. Have tried making sure all the connectors were reconnected properly even switched them to make sure.

Slings not working. Tried tapping on playfield in test mode but no switches activating. No fuses out and I see left and right sling are on different connectors and reseating them didn't help.

Video ultra slow even in test mode and after I change settings game shuts down while I'm still adjusting things. Different RAMs and CPU chips had no effect.

#12773 71 days ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

At this point, if it were me I'd just order a new updated I/O board from pinballlife and start enjoying playing the game.

If a new I/O board would fix these problems I would. But board in it is a new one for my WOZ.
Bought and ended up installing in Hobbit first as issues with Hobbit started. And testing to see if new board would fix it. Has not.
Isn't the newly Populated I/O as didn't know about that when ordering.

#12774 71 days ago

The ultra slow speed of the video and machine crashing in test mode is weird to me. Have tried different Rams, reseating video and power cable/connectors. New MPU is HM81 used before and has been fine. Have latest software downloaded and then redownloaded using 2 different USB sticks in case first was corrupted. Tried 2 different chips in motherboard and same issue.

I don't know what else to try.

Slings all I know today is to put DMM and test the two transistors to them.

Thought for sure weird pop up mechs behavior had to be wrong connectors placed together. No other ideas.

Lights alone spent hours going over Ethernet cables and connectors. Only real thing fixed.

#12777 71 days ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

WoZ uses a different IO board...

Has a couple of connectors more on it. Been told should work fine in TH but suppose maybe it doesn't.

#12779 71 days ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Can you test the beast function and get them to stay up? Have you checked that there aren't any severed wires on the beast switches?

They do same craziness in test mode. When need to recheck wires. One looked slightly worn but none were severed when I looked.

#12787 66 days ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

The ultra slow speed of the video and machine crashing in test mode is weird to me. Have tried different Rams, reseating video and power cable/connectors. New MPU is HM81 used before and has been fine. Have latest software downloaded and then redownloaded using 2 different USB sticks in case first was corrupted. Tried 2 different chips in motherboard and same issue.
I don't know what else to try.
Slings all I know today is to put DMM and test the two transistors to them.
Thought for sure weird pop up mechs behavior had to be wrong connectors placed together. No other ideas.
Lights alone spent hours going over Ethernet cables and connectors. Only real thing fixed.

Probably going to call in tech as thoroughly discouraged after trying a different CPU, power supply, I/O-testing it with DMM, reconnecting about every connector in game etc. Lights on but still no slings, beasts popping up like coils when they gun sling and afraid this will wear mechs and coils. Took many hours to just get it to this point. Have had time in this process wouldn't boot even jump starting wouldn't help. Video running ultra slow and game reboots after trying to test mechs in test mode. Very frustrated but thankful for all the suggestions and encouragement offered!

#12790 66 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

If you still have the WOZ I/O board in there, it has two USB ports, be sure it works in Hobbit, and if so you have used the correct USB port.
LTG : )

Thank you I'll try that.

1 month later
#12994 7 days ago

Can't find a beast/pop up wiring schematic in the manual. Wonder if on recent work I got the two wire connectors on one mech reversed. Is this in the manual and I'm just not seeing it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider WesleyCowan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=WesleyCowan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.