20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (7 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (7 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (7 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tuna_Delight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4944 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Question about the twitch stream. Can I watch at 5pm EST, not live? Not sure how it works...

You should be able to watch the recorded episode later on their YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-wyrXBG6hubXIzT4uaYtqw

JJP apparently doesn't archive videos on their Twitch channel.

2 months later
#5416 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

And for those playing at home the completed the modes are the one ring and moon runes.
[quoted image]

Good point apparently! I'm still not seeing this though - how can you tell which ones are finished?

1 month later
#5874 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Highlighting a few parts of the stream. Here's a complete runthrough of Into the Fire (I LOVE this mode!):

Cool video clip - thanks! Your enthusiasm for the game really adds to the enjoyment of viewing it. Makes me want to get a Hobbit that much more!

1 year later
#8067 4 years ago
Quoted from jfrazie:

Does anyone have a nice picture of the side blades in place? I have side blades on all my machines but can’t make a decision on which is the best for hobbit. Any standout preference

Quoted from JonCrox:

I can't decide either, pics please peeps!!!

I have Tilt Graphics' "Treasure Trove" gameblades on my Hobbit as I like how they extend the Smaug gold and Erebor palace theme from the back of the game. Here are a few quick pics. Unfortunately, they're no longer perfect as I've snagged them on both sides with the playfield and have had to apply small repair/protectective mylar patches accordingly.

DSC05213 (resized).JPGDSC05213 (resized).JPGDSC05191 (resized).JPGDSC05191 (resized).JPGDSC05190 (resized).JPGDSC05190 (resized).JPGDSC05203 (resized).JPGDSC05203 (resized).JPGDSC05212 (resized).JPGDSC05212 (resized).JPG

#8070 4 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

How did you route the wires on the shire mod? Did you do as the instructions as I cannot see your wire in the mystery hole.

I ran it out the left side and down thru the mystery target hole. More or less like the mod's instructions.

#8077 4 years ago

The map pinblades are made by PinGraffix.

https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/the-hobbit-pinblades

#8079 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

But somehow cheaper if you buy them from Cointaker.

Interesting. You'd think it would be the other way around. Perhaps Cointaker hasn't caught up with PinGraffix's latest prices.

Either way - multiple sources, product availability, and market competition are all good things!

3 months later
#8587 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Installed an Arkenstone and Bag End mod today. Both took a bit longer to install then expected (my fault, dumb mistakes lol) but I like the result. This game is still one of my favorites, the rules and theme integration can't be matched by many pins.
[quoted image]

I've add these to my Hobbit as well. Both are great mods!

#8589 3 years ago
Quoted from Adib:

This group is the best. You guys have all the answers. Here is a question. I have the hobbit smaug edition. What kind of glass does it have? Pdi or invsi? What's the best way to clean .. thanks in advance

Invisiglass.

Use a non-ammonia cleaner and a lint-free cloth. Best to spray cleaner on the cloth rather than the glass directly.

I have PDI or Invisiglass on all my games and make my own cleaner mix out of half 90% isopropyl alcohol, half distilled water, and a few drops of Dawn detergent.

Works great!

1 month later
#8744 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I love it too, but you kinda have to be ready to play it and be up for the challenge. It gets intense and takes a lot out of you. Great game, fantastic code.

Well stated. I agree!

5 months later
#9358 3 years ago

Thanks Zach - I've been Jonesing for a nice topper for my Hobbit and this one is truly preciousssssss!

Order placed and SDTM credited!

1 week later
#9412 3 years ago

Just installed new Hobbit topper and loving it!

Hobbit Topper 2 (resized).jpgHobbit Topper 2 (resized).jpg

Hobbit Topper (resized).jpgHobbit Topper (resized).jpg

#9419 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I have the hobbit topper inside my machine! Like a small version to the right/rear of the machine!

Yep - got that cute mini version too!

Now, in addition to the topper version displaying the fantastic attract sequence film clips better, the mode info on it is actually readable during gameplay!

#9440 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Those are really dangerous connections, I’d be very careful with them. Dangling Alligator clips connected to backstabbed pins, not good.
I’m not familiar with their products, but is that really how they come?

Yes - unfortunately. I've only installed Pin Stadiums on two of my games (ACNC and Houdini) and really like the resultant lighting effects, but the connections to the existing electrical components leave something to be desired.

#9448 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I joined the club today with Black Arrow #224![quoted image]

So when you gonna stream some Hobbit? As a fellow JJP enthusiast, I'm curious as to your gameplay approach and perspective on it.

1 month later
#9664 3 years ago
Quoted from oropuro: ... also I would like to find some kind of better looking Goblin and Orc? ...

Quoted from Goronic:

Maybe LIOR will be able to provide some nice replacements. I would love to get those beasts looking better, and more solid to be honest.

Lior has stated that he plans to make Beast replacement mods. At some point anyway.

#9699 3 years ago
Quoted from Chooga:

I recently just got my Hobbit (Smaug gold) and y’all were right - it’s AWESOME! What a great game! I added some mods recently...

Congrats - nice looking Smaug Gold and some sweet mods too!

Quoted from Travahontas:

With some help and insights from allhokie3, I've finalized the design and installation instructions for the "Gate at Bag End" mod and I finished an initial production run of 13 kits. I've got a Pinside ad, so you can grab one here, but it's easier for me if you use Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/trumpanchemods That's the only way for me to do international - they figure out the shipping.
I hope those of you who get one like them as much as I do! Also, please please please share your thoughts and feedback! ...

I installed my "Gate at Bag End" today and gave it a few games worth of testing. LOVIN' it so far! So NICE not to have pops shots come flying back SDTM anymore!

Nice mod @Trumpache - thanks!

2 weeks later
#9790 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

The only question I have is which size to buy? 1.5" or 2"?

Hmmm ... which would Thorin choose?

Size matters (resized).jpgSize matters (resized).jpg

#9801 3 years ago
Quoted from Modelvisionary:

I just added an option to buy the Arkenstone and the crystal clear One Ring shooter together for a sizeable discount, $199 for both.

Ordered a big 2-incher and shooter combo. Thanks!

#9834 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Are the map pinblades the best ones for Hobbit? I've seen 3 or 4 different art blades, but those appear to be the most popular. Any testimonials from people who own them?

What constitutes "the best"? I like these (FWIW):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/162#post-5408926

#9842 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

These are awesome!! And like he said, I snagged mine too and destroyed both sides. I replaced them and then bought these!! https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html Best money ever spent! My ACNC is supper tight as well. But Hobbit playfield is also heavy and hard to control when lifting.

Yeah - I use those protectors religiously now. My worst experience (and final straw before buying these) was tearing the hell out of a pinblade 10 minutes after installing it. Doh!

#9855 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Back in the club! This time with my personal preference - Smaug edition. Has that elite topper too. Pretty cool - still thinking if it's worth to hold on to it or let it go. Will see when I set her up.

In-out ... in-out ... @delt31. Deja vous for you on JJP games it seems, but they're certainly worthy of the reconsideration!

Congrats and welcome back to the club! Cool topper to boot. Lovin' my Smaug Gold and EHT!

20210226_215134_resized (resized).jpg20210226_215134_resized (resized).jpg

#9858 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Hmmmmm looks very familiar. Oh yeah I have literally the same layout haha

Yep - love JJP's widebody games!

#9889 3 years ago

Flipper coil cooling kit from Pin Monk. Still developing final kit for JJP games.

Here's his Stern Spike 2 one:

https://pinmonk.com/products/tibetan-breeze-2-flipper-coil-cooling-kit

#9891 3 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

tuna_delight Is overheating of flipper coils a common problem?

The issue of flipper power fade has apparently arisen on some newer games if they are played non-stop for 30-60 minutes or more.

#9902 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

gto - Arkenstone start button video as promised! This is the 2-inch model. It's REALLY impressive. I added a little wiring mod to mine to make the light pulse instead of blink.
https://superskillshot.com/products/arkenstone-2-lighted-start-button-for-the-hobbit

Sweet! I too added a big 2-inch to my Hobbit as well as a gold ring shooter. I like that pulse action @trumpanche!

Hats off to Modelvisionary for the fabulous start button and shootermods too!

20210306_185955 (resized).jpg20210306_185955 (resized).jpg
#9941 3 years ago

It was a bit humorous to hear the guys on the Slam Tilt Podcast complaining about the supposed uselessness of The Hobbit's upper flipper in their latest episode. (spoiler: they are NOT fans of TH)

They're obviously unaware of Travahontas 's fabulous Bag End gate mod!

#9945 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I put cliffys on Hobbit last night. Not the easiest job, particularly on the left side, but I'm happy with the results. I was getting a little wear around the holes.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good. Do they affect gameplay at all?

I bought these to add to my game as well. Need to replace the ramp flaps too. Not looking forward to it.

#9951 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

... I really love this game, its never leaving.

Hear! Hear!

I'm kind of ashamed now of how anti-Hobbit I was when it first came out. No interest. Whatsoever.

As the code evolved though, I came to enjoy it more on route, and now at home ... a total joy to play and experience!

2 months later
#10424 2 years ago
Quoted from F14tomcat:

... There seems to be a spot in the center return between the flippers and I was wondering if thats what it is/was and can I put one there?? like my WOZ I think it would make me happier! lol anyone know about this? thanks F14tomcat

A center (between the flippers) post is a standard feature on recent Joe Balcer designed games (WoZ, Hobbit, Houdini, Oktoberfest, and Hot Wheels).

I wouldn't want one on every game, but I enjoy the added gameplay element that it provides on the few I own with one!

1 week later
#10441 2 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

... Just noticed my left pop looks like it might have a wire loose. The pop seems to work fine, but is this pink wire supposed to be soldered to that post? ...

Yes. Without this connected to the pop bumper coil, the electrical circuit providing power to it will be broken (open), the coil will have no power, and the pop bumper can't be working correctly.

2 weeks later
#10471 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

It doesn't just feel like cheating.... it's cheating. You're literally lining yourself up for infinite kickbacks. Might as well put that gate mod and slap it on the left outlane.

Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Good!
With the sheer depth or this game and the number of objectives there are, a few less SDTM B.S. drains can only help! My wife agrees.

Agreed Mr. Outlane. Cheating schmeating. I wish I had something similar to cut down on the bullshit SDTM drains from the pops on my Willy Wonka as well.

4 weeks later
#10530 2 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Thanks for the heads up! I ordered one set and seriously considering a second one.

Looking forward to my game's original beasts becoming my emergency backup set when these arrive:

AoP Hobbit Beasts (resized).jpgAoP Hobbit Beasts (resized).jpg

6 months later
#11166 2 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Has any pinsider received their LSofG Beast Heads? On Jan. 18th, their website stated the Heads had cleared customs & they are in the process of fulfilling orders. I'm sure they are swamped! They are quite expensive ($359 + shipping) but their quality & workmanship are worth it. Their site of origin is the Middle East (Israel), not Europe (Germany) as many pinsiders think. When items are sent, I hope a tracking # is provided!

I received mine Friday and installed them yesterday.

Such an improvement over the original beasts!

#11172 2 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

There appears to be two methods to replace the Beast Heads from LSogG: LTG: remove spring clips & playfield tin flap, raise playfield & remove 3 to 4 screws of beast mechanism, detach wire leads & remove entire beast mechanism from below the playfield. Or: remove spring clips & playfield tin flap, do something else (?) and remove just the inner beast head mechanism from above the playfield. I need help with what appears the second easier method! Forgive me if I have miss-interrupted previous posts (it might be Covid-9 long brain fog).
*HINT: When you replace the Beast Heads using the two small machine screws, USE LOCTITE!

I replaced mine from above. Raised the beast mech manually by pushing up from below the playfield, placed a popsicle stick (on top of the playfield and under the raised beast mech) to hold it in place, removed the playfield flap assembly temporarily, and then removed the two screws attaching the beast.

Reverse the process and the new beast is done.

Rinse and repeat for the other three. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

3 weeks later
#11228 2 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Lior beasts are in and ready for battle! If I’m being honest, I prefer the larger proportion of the originals, but these replacements are very nice.

Very nice indeed! I'm digging my Hobbit's new beasts!

Compared to Lior's mods, the original beasts look like gumball machine prizes.

1 year later
#11986 9 months ago
Quoted from Days:

... does anyone have the tilt graphics art blades so i can see how it looks inside the pinball machine? on his website i can only see the art blades but not inside the pinball machine....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/162#post-5408926

#11990 9 months ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

... The print quality is garbage. I mean it's bad bad. It is ALL blurry. Nothing stands out. It's all blurred and muddied together. The black is more really dark greenish. The gold doesn't have one coin stand out. Ut rather just a lump pile of gold color. With a few burry gems in it.
If I had seen these in person I would NOT buy them. But they came on the game.
They also have some rips on them and once they are ripped they only get worse. So I'm looking to change mine out.

I just relooked at mine and all I can figure is that your blades must have somehow come from a bad print run as mine are fine looking and their quality is nowhere near what I'd consider to be "garbage".

Perhaps our expectations are different though. Art blades (or occasionally mirror blades depending on the game theme) are a MUST for me on all my modern games. That said, they basically just serve as background art and contribute to the overall game's aesthetic appeal for me. As such, I don't really focus on them in detail when I'm playing (or even just visually appreciating) my games.

For all the reasons I stated in my original post, I would still enthusiastically recommend the "Treasure Trove" art blades from TILT Graphics for any Hobbit owner's consideration!

bf3ed0_69fd6652ccac48d8aa595355c71727d0~mv2 (resized).jpgbf3ed0_69fd6652ccac48d8aa595355c71727d0~mv2 (resized).jpg

#11993 9 months ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

FYI, to this day I still can't make up my mind about art blades or mirror blades. I recently put art blades on my LOTR and I couldn't be more unhappy. They just keep pulling away from the wood, the adhesive is just not strong enough. I keep having to press them back on in spots every time I take the glass off. They are the sillyoldelf ones from pinballife. They are really beautiful, but just don't stick. It made me hesitate on what I should do with my Hobbit.

I haven't had this issue with any art blades, but I also haven't installed the particular blades you referenced. Did you prep the cabinet sides before applying them? I always do so by cleaning the application area with isopropyl alcohol and paper towels.

#12004 9 months ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

... Over an hour of game time. ... I played every wizard mode twice. I killed Smaug twice ... I completed all dwarf, men, and elf modes. Completed radagast and Bilbo and gandolf modes. And I played all 31 modes (at least once, it was weird) and I only completed 8 of them.

Well played - I hope to reach this level of skill someday!

1 week later
#12034 9 months ago

And (FWIW) - be sure to keep your inclinometer parallel to the cabinet sides at all locations. Rotating its angle slightly side to side will reveal the correct direction via the readings.

3 weeks later
#12156 8 months ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

... Personally, you want a Black Arrow. These were the last and most refined versions of Hobbit.

I prefer the Smaug Gold edition aesthetically. Other than ramp flaps (which I've changed as well on mine) subsequent game "fixes" by JJP are relatively minor and easily addressed with misc parts kit offered by them.

#12163 8 months ago

Yep.
But really...I needed to do a full cleaning anyway, so I put the flaps on when I had the ramp out, and replaced some rubber.
Full cleaning and flap replacement took about 45 min. The Pintonka rivet tool is an awesome device.

I took advantage of the same ramp replacement "opportunity" to overhaul my Hobbit!

Just needed a common punch and the top of a steel vise to set the ramp rivets though. These have worked for various new rivet settings for me every time so far.

#12184 8 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Does anyone have this Art of Pinball Mod? ...

Yep. Scotch 3M clear mounting tape is my go-to for fastening mods when not just using hot glue. Available in different strengths and sizes. And despite what it says, it is typically removeable (non-permanent).

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Permanent-Clear-Mounting-pounds/dp/B00004Z4BU

1 week later
#12249 8 months ago

... Its about the adventure. ...

Right on!

Hobbit adventure.gifHobbit adventure.gif

1 month later
#12439 7 months ago
Quoted from bjorg:

... So now I'm pondering if it's possible shave off 1mm of the inside cab. It sounds like a terrible idea, but I'm not one to easily give up! Thoughts?

I agree - it sounds like a terrible idea.

But I also think the treasure art blades look great and therefore no need for mirror blades.

Good luck!

2 weeks later
#12484 6 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

If anyone has the "Gate at Bag End" mod installed I would recommend removing it. My game came with it installed and the mod broke the other day so I decided to remove it from the game all together. IMO... The game plays so much better without it installed and also the way it was designed.
Food for thought.

I've had it installed on my Hobbit for quite a while now and no regrets. I think it improves pop bumper related gameplay and corrects a design shortcoming. IMHO of course.

#12487 6 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I actually removed the bagend mod. Nothing but problems. Yes, it is installed correctly, but in the first ~15 of game play I had 5 incidents. 3 the ball getting stuck under the gate itself and 2 ball stalled out against it requiring a shakedown to break free. Others have reported random issues of it resting dead "against" the gate so that wasn't a shocker but when the gate is certainly installed correctly and free swinging and it traps the ball requiring the removal of glass? Nope. She came out immediately.
Honestly I don't have too many STDM's happening anyway.

Stuck balls would be a concern for me, but I haven't experienced that with the gate mod on my game.

It has been a while, but I don't recall SDTM drains being a common issue before I installed the gate mod either. Rather, it was lack of pop bumper action that spurred me to add the mod. Only two pops plus multiple exits seemed to limit it quite a bit.

#12490 6 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Yeah having that mod in the game is like cheating IMO, not as the game was designed. I enjoy the randomness of the ball rolling back out of the pops and rarely get a SDTM. Plenty of action in the pops as well!

Whatever. It's your game.

Enjoy.

5 months later
#12822 21 days ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

I've owned every JJP machine through GnR except POTC. IMHO, DI is the best of the bunch.

Although I now appreciate DI a lot more since when it was originally released, IMHO, you've missed owning the best JJP game.

I still need to play Elton John though.

Quoted from briyau15:

Does anyone have and recommend the Lior beasts? They seem pretty expensive for what they are as they just end up getting beat up and aren’t visible the entire times. ...

I have and do. They are expensive (like all of Lior's mods), but they look fabulous - especially the goblin and ork! Their resistance from wear due to bashing has been excellent too.

I appreciate them all each time they pop up as the original beasts look like gumball machine prizes to me in comparison.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tuna_Delight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=Tuna_Delight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.