IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (8 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sammy31.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#120 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Even as a JJP fan I agree with that. Its bad enough Stern puts a tiny metal plaque on LE's that you can barely see but a sticker is worse.
Every JJP LE and SE should come with a wood apron with a cool plaque mounted on it like on WOZ ECLE. JJP should have made that a staple for all of their LE and SE games.

Totally agree.... shouldn't be taking a step back from the standards that were set... won't mention topper...

#149 7 years ago

The "quality gap" between Stern and JJP keeps narrowing...

4 weeks later
#506 7 years ago

Hmmm...I guess I should trade my Hobbit for a Cyclone pinball machine ... pinside ratings says it's better

#557 7 years ago

Dear Hobbit owners, DON'T let this happen to you!

I got a nice 2 foot long scratch on my invisiglass. HOW?

Because of the metal bracket that is below the ring button under the lock down bar!

The metal piece that sits just above the switch for the ring button is placed very high...too high on mine...pulled the glass off and SCCRAAATTCHH! @#!@@@!$# Boy am I upset about that one.

SO WHAT IS THE FIX? Bend that metal tab down a bit and keep a bit of upwards pressure when removing the glass.

Now, does anybody know what I can do about this nearly 2 foot long scratch on my invisiglass (apart from buying a new one)?

I'll try to send a few pics when I get the chance...

#559 7 years ago

Thanks Chris

1 week later
#599 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Has anyone else noticed that the magnet at the drop off for Smaug ball locks doesnt always activate? At times instead of a ball stopping at the magnet and then slowly dropping into the subway it will just go straight through.
I'm concerned that over time that this could cause wear on the playfield around the area where the ball drops into. Maybe one of the balls is magnetized?

Hit or miss with mine as well.

The magnet is small compared to the ones under the playfield... I'm thinking it just doesn't have enough power to stop the faster moving balls. Is there a setting to increase the magnet power? I did not find one...

1 month later
#1056 7 years ago

I took the head off mine to reduce weight and get it downstairs. It was very simple to do.

1 month later
#1549 7 years ago
Quoted from lukewells:

So things are not going the best with my Hobbit so far.
I'd like to make it clear, that I still do think it is a fantastic game (in theory) but there are a lot of annoyances making the ownership experience not so good right now. I documented a bunch of them in video below, is there a good way to share this info with JJP so they can look at addressing some of the issues?
1) Coils melting
There is clearly a bug with the pop-ups. If the switch triggers multiple times (because the "troll" target switches a little shoddy and vibrate back and forth quickly, even after multiple attempts to adjust them) then it keeps pulsing the power to the coils (so it seems) Eventually the coil melts, it's hard to tell there is even anything wrong, until it’s too late and you have a pop-up error it won't go down anymore.
My Warg melted after 24 games, and my Orc melted after 125 games. There should be a safety timeout in the software at the very least to stop it melting coils.
2) Balls falling off the far left wireform all the time.
This one seems like such a bad design, no idea why it doesn’t have sides like the other wireforms, which would make it so much more reliable. Trying to adjust this wireform perfectly is so frustrating. On mine, the ramp is bad and has a lip which causes the ball to ski-ramp off the wireform, over the ball save post, and down the drain
3) Ball hangups
On pretty much every machine I own, there are little clear plastics attached with angle brackets (either from the factory – or as operator service kits) that deflect balls away from areas in which they can get stuck. On Hobbit, there are a few places where the ball can hang (and have happened to me a few times) so it looks like we need some deflectors to fix them (I have some photos of ball hangs) I think they are made worse by the popups and drop targets sometimes launching the balls in the air.
4) Inability to “rescue” a ball mid game.
On most pins, you can “pause” by opening the coin door, removing the glass and then returning a stuck ball to the shooter lane (especially important in competitions) but on the Hobbit, when you close the coin door (in order to be able to put the glass back on) it immediately fires the ball out, so you can never save them.
5) Playfield lamps “freeze” or crash
During a long game, the playfield lamps will eventually freeze up (some on, some off) and will not return to working until the game is power cycled. I have been told to try swapping the USB cable ports, so I will try this when my game is working again.
6) Parts breaking or falling off
I am collecting a small number of screws of unknown origin in the bottom of my cab, again I am only on 125 plays, so this should not be happening already. Additionally I am finding bits of broken clear plastic appearing in the bottom of the cab (see video) - the source of these is the pop-up mechs, there is a clear plastic U shaped light guide under all the popups, these are clearly not strong enough and are smashing to bits. My first one dropped broken pieces into the bottom of the cab in less than 24 games. This part needs replacing/upgrading on all 4 targets
7) Lights crash if you perform a GI test
After a GI test, playfield lamps will not work at all until the game is power cycled. This is of course a minor issue for software.
8 ) Can’t set the time.
No matter how many times I re-set the time to the correct time in the menu’s next time I check , the time has changed +/- 2 hours. The minutes are always right but the hours change themselves and are never right.
9) Can’t properly disable broken features
If something breaks (see melted coils above) you can disable some of the mechanisms in settings, but there is no broken feature compensation, therefor, the game cannot be played properly and advanced to Into the Fire etc. This is more noticeable on my machine due to the length of time it has spent with popups not working, so therefor not fully playable
10) Rails under playfield do not line up
The rails (with black rubber stoppers) were clearly designed to line up with and “stop” on the lock down bar mech, but the rails miss the mech and are instead leaning on the cab. The problem with this is that it is going to over time damage the front of the cabinet
11) The popups can swallow a ball if they drop down when a ball is at the front (I understand this is going to be fixed)
Obviously these issues are of different levels of importance, but I would like to see some of the more frustrating problems resolved sooner rather than later. I’ve not had much dealing with JJP so far, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume they will fix things for now (unlike a certain other pinball manufacturer that is completely incapable of dealing with feedback)
Video links :-
» YouTube video
» YouTube video

Hi There,

You are stating that the ball is leaving the left wire because it is using the loop as a jump.
Your video shows the ball off the rails BEFORE it gets to that loop.
I would check to see if the ball is hitting that ramp mechanism (on right side) (just before it makes that final plunge to the loop). I had this issue with mine, so I moved that rail a bit (or the other one) and all is well, no issues.

2 weeks later
#1776 7 years ago

As far as cliffys go... I just bought the shooter eject protectors.
I put mylar in the smaug drop area and I don't think the left and right holes get banged hard enough to warrant the protectors (but I'll keep a close eye on them).

4 weeks later
#2108 7 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

Couple of new issues have reared their head on my Hobbit LE:
1. As others have reported, the strength in the plunger seemed to be getting weaker with use and so I was thinking about buying a stronger plunger spring. But now I am clearly detecting a lot of friction in the plunger itself and it is starting to feel like it is sticking as it is pulled out. Any ideas how to best lubricate a shooter lane plunger? Or is their a plastic insert that may need replacing in a similar style to those used inside coils?
2. After only a few hundred games my left slingshot rubber snapped - literally. Completely clean tear. Looking over the other slingshot rubber I can see that this has a small tear. I have no problem with replacing rubbers after a decent amount of use and wear and tear, but these slingshot rubbers are failing way too soon. Anyone else had similar issues?

Had the same issue with my left sling rubber. Luckily I had a spare kicking around.
Check for any sharp points that may be cutting into the rubber...

6 months later
#3115 7 years ago

that's a lot of kickback action!
Was probably loose from the factory...

1 week later
#3157 7 years ago

Finally beat Smaug first time last night. Wow. What a show!
I hope the other modes are just as good to finish.

BTW... where is the new code!

2 months later
#3581 6 years ago

Not sure if this was in the previous code, I can't remember... but once you lock 2 balls for Smaug multiball, Smaug awakens and follows your ball around the playfield. Much better this way...

3 months later
#3928 6 years ago

I was in early on the preorders for this one and followed it's development from beginning, so that makes many years of me waiting for this machine and code to get done. Unfortunately my patience has an end and i have traded my Hobbit. I hope they finish the code properly, and make me regret it.

1 month later
#4125 6 years ago
Quoted from brg126:

I just picked up a hobbit LE, so far I love it, beautiful game. But I am pretty sure it has a shaker issue. When the shaker comes on it seems to buzz, then barely shake at all. Quick shakes are heard, but not really felt. Longer shakes seem to work, almost like it is winding up.
I did a test using the coil utility, and did not get the noise. Go figure. Maybe it only comes out during slower speed shakes?

It could be that the weights in the shaker are loose make sure they are secured to their stems...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sammy31.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=Sammy31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.