IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rondogg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3403 6 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Just elbow grease and Mothers metal polish. After polishing, I washed the ramp with water, dawn and a toothbrush to remove any residual polish. It's all back together now, game looks and plays flawlessly.

Damn if Hobbit isnt the finest looking machine ever built!

10 months later
#4487 6 years ago

Would something like this work to dim the leds in the backbox?

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/mtxbriteadj.htm

#4490 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

So a thread on JJP's Google Group about Hobbit code update concerns has been locked, this is the first locked thread I've ever seen on the JJP Google Group. It didn't seem like anyone was being insulting and that 99% of posts in it were providing constructive criticism. A lot of posts thanked JJP before providing any feedback. Just very surprised to see it locked.
It's likely JJP locked the thread as they have replied multiple times in it saying that code for the game is not forgotten and that it won't receive a lot of time on its code until after POTC is released. Still, it always felt like a thread where owners could discuss code ideas together which was nice.

link?

#4492 6 years ago

Hello? What is the name of the forum?

#4495 6 years ago

Thanks Rob...

#4499 6 years ago

I really dont like the backglass lighting. It's way too strong and blows out the shading and fine lines in the artwork. So I took Yelobirds advice and switched in a dimmer.

I used velcro and lengthened the wires. Will probably use screws which seems like a more elegant and permanent solution.

20180407_085340 (resized).jpg20180407_085340 (resized).jpg

20180407_083153 (resized).jpg20180407_083153 (resized).jpg

20180407_084816 (resized).jpg20180407_084816 (resized).jpg

20180407_082203 (resized).jpg20180407_082203 (resized).jpg

20180407_080340 (resized).jpg20180407_080340 (resized).jpg

20180407_080009_HDR (resized).jpg20180407_080009_HDR (resized).jpg

#4506 6 years ago

Whatever works. I liked the cold white because there is a lot of solid white in the backglass and I didn't want to lose that. The orig setup should have come with a dimmer. Not sure how it was released like that. A "glaring" mistake.

2 weeks later
#4599 5 years ago

I'd like to see the Modes matter more, like there would be a reason to focus on completing one mode for each of the characters. Or "play all Gandalf modes and complete 50%" and you get a Gandalf Mini Wizard mode. You'd also probably end up with an Arkenstone mode (or two) along the way and it would give you a whole choose-your-own-adventure vibe.

#4639 5 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Yes, we talked about the Hobbit code a decent amount. Whats changing, what is being redone, wizard mode, etc.
Interview is almost 2 hours because we talk ALOT. It will be up on http://head2headpinball.com on Monday morning/afternoon US time

Ultimate tease. A+.

#4648 5 years ago

Would have been nice if they asked about timeframes for releasing the update.

#4690 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I posted this on the JJP Google Group. A lot of Hobbit owners have complained about the repetitive nature of making multiple Arkenstone attempts. I think this would be a good compromise as it would leave the original rule structure in place yet give players more options for earning runes towards their 2nd, 3rd, etc Arkenstone mode attempts.
I think having to repeat the same qualifiers every time to attempt an Arkenstone mode is one of the last big complaints about the game. Having to repeat all the same qualifiers for Arkenstone mode attempts isn't much fun as it becomes a grind
Here's an idea that would allow for the existing rule flow to stay intact yet give players more ways to qualify for Arkenstone mode attempts. Allow X number of modes completed after playing 1 Arkenstone mode (using regular rune requirements as they are today) to grant a rune towards 2nd, 3rd, etc Arkenstone mode attempts. Players can still play through Smaug MB, Beast Frenzy, etc again if they want to for their 2nd, 3rd, ert Arkenstone attemptd yet would have the choice and incentive to complete more modes instead. This concept would play well into the star raiting bonus system that Keith mentioned as well.
For example say you played 1 Arkenstone mode and now you are back to 0 runes. Instead of having to replay everything to earn runes you could either do that again or play 2 modes to earn a rune, play 2 more to earn another, etc. Then let's say it's your 3rd Arkenstone mode attempt, you can repeat the same things again as they are today or play 3 modes to earn a rune, 3 more to earn another, etc.

Simple but elegant.

Sadly, nothing I've seen suggests they are listening or even care for help. The good thing is that they are better using remodels and redoing beast mb. The anything that limits hitting those polyps is a good thing from a gameplay and reliability standpoint.

#4717 5 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

I think WOZ just has the it factor with the layout and the code being great. I don’t think I’ll even get to somewhere over the rainbow but I can dream... I have been to Battle of five armies twice in about 20 or so games. Getting to Into the fire is more of a rush for me than Bofa! Just the music and the call outs for me in into the fire are spot on. And when you kill Smaug that’s a pretty cool bit too but I’ve done it and I don’t feel like I need to do it again...
Furthermore to the above I’ve been to BOFA and killed Smaug and the game to me feels like I can do that ALMOST EVERY game! ALMOST! And I think what kind of kills my enjoyment. I don’t want to get to the wizard mode or close to the end of the game every game. LOTR for me is the better if the two worlds because you can play 2/3 of the movie multiballs and maybe get to destroy the ring every other 10 or 20 games and it’s an achievement instead of feeling like it’s a given. That’s the feeling I get. Just me

In the old days LOTR was considered to be too long an adventure and people talked about their never ending games just sitting unplayed after crushing an hour long battle.

2 weeks later
#4730 5 years ago

Magnet problem. Not the Smaug magnet that drops the ball into the lock for multiball, I'm talking about the rear left playfield magnet that stops a looped shot and drops the ball into the hidden hole.

The left playfield magnet does not stop the ball to divert it to the hidden hole for a +1 mode ball. The green light comes on at the loop and the ball just continues around to the other side. Both switches work in switch test and the wires look fine to the magnets. Not sure how to proceed.

The only thing I did recently was to upgrade from 2.00 to 2.01 but I'm not sure that has anything to do with the issue.

#4732 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There's a test in the games diagnostic menu specific to that magnet. Does it work and grab the ball in the test mode? I would also look in the diagnostics menu to see what fuse that magnet uses and see if anything else that leverages the same fuse is out as well.

Thank you. Fuses done but the plug on the back of the metal box was loose. Problem solved.

1 week later
#4765 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Congrats! I have a Hobbit sitting right next to a LOTR as well. They look nice together. They do play very similar, so be warned. However, I still get more of a rush from trying to defeat Smaug than I do trying to destroy the ring. Need to have victory laps or more of a pause after defeating Smaug. Seems like it just goes right back into gameplay. Need a moment to savor it.

Defeated Smaug for first time on Saturday. Was able to complete two victory laps around my basement with my arms in the air before the game resumed. Such a rush.

3 weeks later
#4818 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Woohoo! New Hobbit code next week Friday. Can't wait to see it! Might just be a JJP Live showing it instead of a release, we will see.
From Hogbog ...
LIVESTREAM. @3pm Central 07/06/2018 on https://www.twitch.tv/jjplive

Has there been some kind of announcement that new code for Hobbit is being released or even shown? I'm confused.

#4823 5 years ago

Maybe some new info at Pintastic this weekend.

#4832 5 years ago

"3. Beast Multiball is being rewritten by Joe Katz and he started working on it last week. Keith said Beast MB will be a lot better"

Yeah, he said there were 16 levels to Beast Multiball. Sweet Jeezus how did that get signed off on?

#4837 5 years ago

Went to Jersey Jack's seminar at Pintastic. He said new code will be released July 7. Also said he has a change document that he'd email now if anyone wants it. He was half kidding I think...

#4853 5 years ago

Lots of incredible stuff...

I wonder what this means exactly:
"Added award for playing all Book Modes for a given qualfier; award is
configurable for points (default) or spotting an Arkenstone task"

Is this related to qualifying a certain sequence of related modes? And are they going to make it less bewildering to know which modes are related to each other?

I could totally see playing this game two different ways. 1. Just go for modes and let the Arkenstone modes just happen as you progress through the modes or 2. Go for Akenstone tasks to get to Arkenstone modes.

This new release seems to make the modes so much more important instead of an after thought. I have high hopes for Friday!

#4874 5 years ago

So who's going to be the first to time out 31 modes?

#4920 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

#3 is why you shouldn't buy this pin. If you are half decent you'll have plenty of hour long games. I bought NIB and yes the first 3-4 months I loved it, then I grew VERY tired of constant pop ups and multi balls. There is very little to shoot and despite it being a gorgeous pin, its just not that much fun. I got blasted for stating my opinion in another thread, which is pitiful, but all you have to do is look at what these are selling for used to tell you the perceived value. Owners who have it will talk it up, but talk to people who bought it and moved on from it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

No, you got modded and kicked out of the other thread for trolling so you came here to troll. Uncool.

#4930 5 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Who's excited for tomorrow?

Just took apart my ramps and installed new ramp flaps, the others were curling. I couldn't be more prepared!

#4943 5 years ago

Question about the twitch stream. Can I watch at 5pm EST, not live? Not sure how it works...

#4986 5 years ago

Just got 2mil, 160 beasts and 20 modes on the new code! Tried to work the feeder modes and Arkenstone qualifying modes but that will be a skill that may take a while to learn. Never cared about how many modes/beasts I've completed before. I do wish there was an easier way to see which modes are Bilbo modes, Gandalf modes etc. I want to start focusing on collecting sets of modes. Would be great if they were color coded to easily see which are which. Won't be long before someone gets to TABA, I wasn't even close and I was getting pretty excited. I think it's doable if you just focus on starting modes and let the other stuff happen naturally.

No issues with the code that hasn't already been outlined. It would be nice to be able to stop the automatic Journal page turning. Is there a way to change that in settings? I can't focus on the pages fast enough before they roll to the next page. Gameplay is so cool and each game is so different when you focus on the modes.

#4996 5 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

How long did the disassembly and reassembly of the ramps take? Was it challenging? Any tips?
I have the new ramps but have dreaded the thought of taking that ramp off.

Their instructions are perfect. Took about 2 and a half hours. Just took it super slow. Hardest part was pounding the rivets on since I don't have a rivet press. I had been procrastinating but it was a lot easier than I expected, just a lot of steps. Now the ramps are smooth as better. Also, gotta be very gentle with the 8 optos. I used a small flathead screwdriver to gently pry the off.

#5005 5 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

Didn’t they include two sets of rivers? One for an inexpensive rivet gun?
Do you have a link to the hand die that you used?
Think I will take this on. If I can build my own new opto cable from parts and install it under the Dialed in theater, I should be able to handle this.

I mix and matched using this. Was a bit awkward since the rivets are close to the sidewalls:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077HBVHKS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

#5021 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Holy cow! I've started playing with the mindset of starting a mode whenever possible and keeping Beast frenzy going. Wow. Just had an epic game and only started 10 modes, but killed 86 beasts. Got to Barrel escape but Smaug escaped me. Someday I will finish Barell Escape, but I get so many SDTM's off the horseshoe ramp...but gosh I love that shot. I'm rambling, but man, I feel like I just opened this game NIB all over again!

So true. I'm actually learning the modes! Next step is to have a game plan to do the feeder modes and Arkenstone qualifier modes in some king of sensible order. After 5-10 modes I'm pretty close to an Arkenstone mode so I go for that. It's a different adventure every time. Excellent game with so much to do. The JJP crew really lifted this game to a new level that matches how beautiful the art/lights/sound are. Not having Beast run with Smaug was also perfectly implemented. Well done!

#5041 5 years ago

Jersey Jack 3.00 on Twitch this Friday, can someone confirm?

#5061 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

The flasher on top of the bumper is controlled by a coil drive. It isn't controlled like the regular LEDs on the playfield. From your description, it sounds like it is working correctly. You can test it directly in Coil Test. It is coil #47 "Left Pop Bumper Light".
By the way, the START button has the same sort of light. Coil #79 "Start Button Light". The spotlights are similar, coils #41 an #48.
--Ted

I know we're not always going to have you here, but it's so great having you here.

#5078 5 years ago

"I'm about a day ahead of you on this one. I already decided to work on this. I may put it on the main screen, though, because there's a lot of space available.

--Ted"

So awesome. Was playing Barrel escape and I thought I was doing pretty well. I thought I might have been near the end but I really had no idea. I could have been one shot away, or I could have just been in the middle somewhere. Same for Beast, I would like to complete Beast someday but I really have no idea how long it is or where/if it ends...

#5084 5 years ago

Twitch.tv/sdtmpinball

Hobbit live now.

#5087 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Thanks Zach (and Chuckwurt), but I'm not peeking. I'm trying to get there myself. I can't seem to force myself to time out modes though...I just gotta play them. 31 modes...harder than it looks if you try to keep the ball going.

I played all modes and completed 9 of them. Well, I did cradle mode 31 and had two nice shots to the lit Balin hole for TABA rattle out before draining. Most fun I've ever had playing pinball. Game is so much different going through the modes. The Arkenstone wizard modes seem to happen much more naturally along the way to the TABA mode. So different from before...

#5096 5 years ago

Ted, are you going to release 2.97 to the Pinside Beta Testers (PBT) or are you going straight to 3.00 and moving on?

#5104 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

May be somewheres else, but what will the 3.0 ISO image release do? Will the player see a difference?

Not much but Ted has added so many new features he wants to make sure there's no new bugs before 3.00 is released. He and his team have been working long and hard on this update, really dedicating a lot of time and energy. They could have just fixed the bugs from 2.95 and released 3.00 but they added all kinds of new features and those may present new bugs.

#5124 5 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

What are some of the most satisfying shots or scoring in the Hobbit?

Hitting one of the holes to start an Arkenstone wizard mode.

"Out of the frying pan, AND INTO THE FIRE!!!!!"

The action of the Arkenstones merging on the screen is just too cool! Also, killing Smaug by hitting a single downed standup without hitting the raised standups in the time allotted is awesome. Lastly, the spinners are not an easy shot and it feels great to just rip the spinner and watch your map progress fly forward. Even better when you can hit that same spinner two or three times in a row.

#5137 5 years ago

Smaug FTW
00011 (resized).jpg00011 (resized).jpg

#5163 5 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

So did this feature actually make it into the game? Some folks were complaining about how linear the game was before the update.

Yes. I find I make a lot more Arkenstone modes when I just concentrate on completing a lot of modes. Totally different game, especially when you have a lot completed and completing a mode makes getting to BOFA a lot easier.

#5166 5 years ago

Red Estes posted on the job forum. I'm guessing he's back? Fully charged and ready to jump back into middle earth...

#5167 5 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

Are the arkenstone mode champs only stored until machine is powered off? I became the “Into the fire” champ and then when I turned the machine on again later, Thorin was back to being the champ. This is on 2.96 code.

Same issue, got Into the Fire champ on Sunday. Turned the game on this morning and it's showing as "Thorin". Will post to googlegroups.

3 weeks later
#5235 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Couple of questions:
Beast MB - how do you cancel it if you're in Smaug MB? Center button?
I hear this chime all the time - sounds like milk glass bottles hitting and then I see something pop up right side of screen (says up to 10 for barrels, X playfield) - what is this feature and how did I enable it?
Edit - it's the newton ball in the middle. Send to give awards....
How do you tell how much further you have along the journey you have (top right corner map - just seems like red dots especially when you're in the middle of it)

The Beast MB can be delayed in favor of Smaug MB in the game settings. You have to enable this setting.

#5244 5 years ago

Make them and you will own Middle earth!

2 weeks later
#5354 5 years ago

This is from a YouTube video. Is there a way to see how many balls you have left that shows more than 3 balls at a time? I lose track of how many extra balls I've gained. This picture was from 2.0 and there was no "shoot again" light present. Maybe this feature went away? Or maybe there is a setting I'm missing? There is a German video with the same thing present...

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#5355 5 years ago
#5357 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

If the "reserve ball" option is turned on and you play a multi-player game, you would not see a "shoot again" but the ball image x3 would change to x4 for you if you won an extra ball. Each player gets a turn for one ball in the rotation. Once a player runs out of balls (think cleanly), they are out of the game* and the rest of the players continue to cycle through the rotation.
* If there are less than 4 players in the game, another player can join the rotation during the game by pressing the start button and have the full number of balls that a game is set for (default is 3).
There's better explanations of this setting, but this is the general idea.

Jesus this game is deep but the video was a one player game, as far as I could tell. Would that happen with just one player?

#5372 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Also I finally got Into The Fire last night and it let me put my name in as champ but today when I turn the machine on it has Thorin as Into The Fire champ is that normal.

That's a known bug that I think Ted said he fixed for 2.97. Hopefully it comes out soon. It was supposed to come out in the beginning of August but it looks like they are on to something else and working on TH whenever they can. Too bad, they are so close to the finish line...

#5383 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I didn't own this game before the update but I still would like mb toned down a little. Specifically don't put me in a mode with smaug bc my modes will be mb if you lock them via orbit Wich happens all the time. I know you can disable this which is fine but I like them during mode play only. What I want is no modes allowed during smaug or beast. I would also like music for beast but that's not critical.
This game does a better job allowing itself to breath but I would still want it to breath just a little more. Pressing the ring button during smaug to cancel doesn't seem like the best solution either.
Underrated game if the year no doubt though

Personally, I would never want modes to stop during Beast and Smaug MB. I think it's integrated pretty well and allows me to get through a lot more modes on the way to TABA. It's just enough chaos. Without it, it would take 2 hours to complete a game. If it was easily implemented I wouldn't mind it as an option (that I would never use).

#5396 5 years ago

I don't think you can play Smaug or any other mode when the Arkenstone mode (ITTF, BE, BOFA) is going. But I don't think he meant that. It is a great game, top 10 for sure.

#5414 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

That's exactly what I mean

You are so right. They need to be color coded or something. Red for unavailable. Green for available. Solid green for mode queued up.. Gold for completed. I also wish there was an easier way to figure out feeder modes but that may be asking for too much. I think Ted and Co wants to reward the people who have memorized the movies/feeder diagram.

#5418 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Guys, the started modes are color, the completed ones are b&w
I do think it would be good to have the started modes marked clearly on the BOOK. Not sure what difference it makes though, there’s no wizard mode for starting/completing all the book modes

Complete (start) all 31 book modes to get to the new Wizard mode There and Back Again.

#5427 5 years ago

Is that one of the light shields under the main ramp?

#5431 5 years ago

I can't imagine anyone could actually complete all 31 modes!

#5463 5 years ago

You can always see which modes you completed by going to the new progress screens by cradling the ball for a few seconds.

And yes, the two holes flash white when all modes have been played and TABA is ready.

#5468 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Thanks for that Ted. I was getting confused by this, is this saying that if I complete all modes in a specific qualifier i.e. all the MAN modes, then I qualify for an Arkenstone mode and skip the 5 jewel requirements? :
- Added award for playing all Book Modes for a given qualfier; award is configurable for points (default) or spotting an Arkenstone task
Also did you say there was an option coming to stop Beast MB from starting during an active mode? i thought I read this somewhere. Thanks.

All new software related questions are answered here.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/details-new-hobbit-code

2 weeks later
#5497 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Going to stream some of the new 2.97 code tonight, 8 p.m. Eastern: http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

Cool.

#5524 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That would be super tough, i guess I would have one session that would cover all modes only. Should I not get to the end of the mode, I would just talk over what was left to complete it, then play another one to keep things moving.

I think Ted also wanted this game to be an adventure of discovery for the players. The feeder mode system is well thought out and completing modes based on where you are on the map? This is some next level stuff and more complicated than any game ever, if you want to go that deep.

#5532 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisLIX:

Hello everybody,
I am proud and so happy to say I finally got my 1st modern pinball machine at home:The Hobbit LE I bought it from a guy who was the 1st owner, it's pretty like new imo!
This game is sooo perfect for a home use with the amazing soundtrack (thanks to my favorite group Two Steps from Hell) and the stunning animations. I felt in love with the machine when I tried it at the Pintastic 2018 but I know I would enjoy it more at home. In fact, I love all JJP machines to be honnest but I think Hobbit was THE machine to start with and considering I have 2 kids who will enjoy it too.
I am happy to see there's a great community here and I already read a lot of your posts. I ordered Cliffy's protector's because this was a mod that I found quickly to be a MUST have (despite the not easy procedure to install them but I'll take my time).
I have 3 questions actually :
1) Do you have a trick to make the metal ramps shine like new (without having to remove the thing if possible lol). There's a lot of traces caused by the ball travelling.
2) The guy before me set the game at 5 balls, and put a lot of settings on easy. I reset those settings to default (medium), removed the center post, and opened the 2 outlane entries. Now, I would like to reset the "recent standards audits" because it's exactly the same numbers displayed compared to all time stats..
So that would give me stats since I have the machine in RECENT and total stats in the 2nd column. Is it possible to do this and is it a good idea?
3) Just curious, what are your "must have" mods for this machine? There's already gold coins overs the flips and a nice sword for the plunger. I was thinking to get "green Convulux plastic protectors" and the "gold ring with the metal plate" for the lockbar button.
Thanks guys

1. Novus2 and 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I did that and they were dirty soon after. No desire to do it again. I had the ramps out when I was replacing the ramp flaps because they were curling.
3. Powered subwoofer is a great mod for any game. Really brings it to life. I'm going to reward my machine with the Gold Ring and metal plate when v3.00 comes out.

#5569 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Since no one else seems concerned with this change, I was wondering if there is a way to set how often a particular mystery award is given out in the game menus? Not having the Precioussss light very often is really annoying to me now and shortens the game considerably. I'm still not convinced this was a intended change for the good in 2.96.

It seemed like I used to get it all the time too. I just don't have any evidence. Just seems a LOT less. It was an awesome reward that really felt good to get when that target got smaller and smaller.

#5604 5 years ago

I just alligator clipped speaker wire from the subwoofer input to the cabinet speaker. I'm sure there are fancier ways to do it but that's what I've done for all my games since the beginning of time. Makes a big difference.

#5624 5 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Where can I find the 2.99 update?

at the JJP Googlegroup

1 week later
#5708 5 years ago

Looks Sweet!

#5721 5 years ago
Quoted from monkeybug:

Thanks. I reseated J109 and nothing has changed. The shaker motor works (which is on the same plug) but the start led and smaug coil steppers do not work. I have been tracing the connections back to J100 (on the smaug controller board) and cannot seem to continuity with the voltage line. I am going to keep at this a bit longer and then contact JJP if I can't sort it out.

Check the plugs on the BACK of the computer and make sure they are all seated correctly. Loose ones can be easily missed. Make sure they are well seated on either side of the back of the computer (towards the back of the machine).

#5724 5 years ago

Of the light doesn't work in test mode then carefully follow the wires from the light and check all connectors and keep checking the back of the computer box. There are a ton of connectors.

#5735 5 years ago

Cool. Hobbit is complete. This was a massive game changing effort.

Well done Ted and Co. Thank you.

#5772 5 years ago

I'm running 2.991, is there any big benefit to upgrading to 3.0 besides those two updated items?

* Changed "Gollum Save" display to prevent showing it on top of Extra Ball
* Updated Operator Manual to 3.4

#5776 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

+1.
rondogg it's really not hard to update, providing you have a USB stick that's more than 4GB. Follow the full install instructions that's on the same page as the version 3.0 download file (it's an ISO file of size 5.17 GB (5,555,417,088 bytes)). Ping back if you have any questions. Cheers.

Thanks, more concerned with saving my settings. I'll give it a shot in a week or two after everyone sorts it out. Thank you.

#5828 5 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I found this blocking the mode ball lock hole to the right of the Smaug Dragon head, anyone know what this fell off of?
[quoted image]

Light shield under the ramp. 2nd time this has been posted, didn't know they were so brittle. Taking the ramp off is not easy.

#5869 5 years ago

Pretty sure it's whatever the highest level is before the Ark Mode. Then it resets and whatever new highest qualifies for the next Ark Mode.

1 week later
#5932 5 years ago

Seems like some fairly big changes until 2.991 and then not so much...

==============================================================================
== Version 3.0 November 12, 2018 ==
== 3.00 ISO image MD5 checksum: 0ef75a9406716b306cd73b63b394f5db ==
- NOTE: This is a FULL INSTALL release
* Changed "Gollum Save" display to prevent showing it on top of Extra Ball
* Updated Operator Manual to 3.4
=== OS
* Support for newer motherboards
== Version 2.991 November 2, 2018 ==
=== Game Code
* Fixed "Defeat of Azog" U-turn ramp diverter behavior
* Fixed Book Mode ball locked display sometimes showing +0 balls
* Changed Windlance display logic to ensure the shot meter always shows up
* Changed dragon priority for Smaug MB vs. modes
=== Core Code
* Fixed drop target malfunction detection
== Version 2.99 October 29, 2018 ==
=== Game Code
* Fixed "Battle of Five Armies" stage 3 logic
* Changed Arkenstone mode grace period behavior to no longer lock out all rules
* Changed "Defeat of Azog" rule to use U-turn ramp diverter
* Reverted "Light Mystery" inlane rule to V2.01 behavior
+ Added effects for Smaug Multiball Victory laps
* Adjusted music ducking for Smaug defeated
* Modified and added a few lamp effects
* Swapped fanfares for "Gandalf qualified" and "Book Mode lit"
* Updated Operator Manual to 3.3
=== Core Code
* Updated currency and pricing adjustment system
- Pricing settings display more sensibly when currency setting is changed
- Changing currency resets all pricing adjustments and earnings audits
- Invalid pricing tiers are now flagged when set
* Fixed Euro 11 preset
+ Added Japan pricing preset
== Version 2.98 October 18, 2018 ==
=== Game Code
* Modified some lamp effects
* Refined how speech is handled in Arkenstone modes
+ Added Extra Ball count and Tilt Warnings remaining to Status Report
* Changed beast taunting in "The Bait" to prevent repeated scoring w/misadjusted target
* Changed scoring on "Portcullis Loop" award
=== Core Code
* Fixed defect in drop target handler that would reset a drop target instead of scoring

#5943 5 years ago

I checked the values and changed them on my game (a long time ago). Smaug stopped looking like he was whispering and now looks like he should. Really transformed the old dude...

#5975 5 years ago

Sounds like a down switch is getting triggered, by something. I would go into the diagnostics menu and run a coil and a switch test.

1 week later
#6029 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

No, it was announced as a FULL INSTALL again:
== Version 3.10 December 14, 2018 ==
- NOTE: This is a FULL INSTALL release
=== Game Code
* Fixed rare game reset in Smaug Multiball
* Fixed Game Over lamp effect after entering name/initials
* Fixed Spider hits in Battle of Five Armies stage 6
* Fixed mode total display in Barrel Escape and Battle of Five Armies
* Adjusted timing of "Stage X Complete" display/speech in Battle of Five Armies
* Changed Barrel Escape to split Stage 2 A/B parts into separate stages
* Polished up various lamp effects
* Adjusted gain and music ducking on several sound effects
=== Core Code
* Fixed UK pricing presets
=== OS
* Fixed sound loss/distortion that occurs after game on for several hours

So if I'm at 2.xx I just need to do a Full Install of 3.10?

#6047 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

14000 plays??? good to hear these games are holding up.

Would love to see a write up of issues during that stretch.

#6056 5 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

I'll try to take some pictures at some point, but these are the issues I can remember:
* Broken pop bumper bracket
* Broken sling shot arm, twice
* Dead LCD screen twice (seriously bad soldering; see our blog post: http://www.popbumper.no/2018/07/25/hobbit-display-issues/)
* Multiple times: Broken ledges on drop target brackets so targets won't stay up
* One bad lighting wire harness, so an insert lost its blue component
* Beast pop-ups: Broken wires, and switches that need tuning regularly

Wow thanks. The same areas I would have suspected. When the ledges broke on the drop targets were you able to fix it or did you need a whole new mechanism?

#6084 5 years ago

Depending on how new you are maybe check out an unboxing hobbit video on youtube.

#6108 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Highly recommend the combo...
[quoted image]

Might I trouble you for a small loan...?

#6111 5 years ago
Quoted from MoPinball:

Where can I find an explaination of every mode in the Hobbit Manual version 3.4?

There isn't one. There are also extra points if you play groups of modes in a certain order based on movie scene sequence and extra points for playing modes while getting to certain point on the map. None of this is explained. There is almost no end to the depths of this game. It's more adventure than any game in the history of pinball.

#6115 5 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Hey got the new site up and selling the TrueColor plastic protectors again . Here are the hobbits, one of the best sellers so far - https://truecolorprotectors.com/products/hobbit-pinball-true-color-protectors

These are awesome especially since the centers allow for the light to pass through naturally through the pf plastics. The only problem is that they are too wide, specifically where the ball drops from the 3 wire forms. I had to pull my belt sander out to carve out the drop points properly. Otherwise, well worth the $.

#6130 5 years ago

Wow rob that looks awesome.

1 week later
#6185 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Thanks, I have played both and like both. But I always enjoy hearing others thoughts as well. Sometimes I overthink it, and it helps to hear what others experienced!

This is VERY helpful thank you. For me, DI feels very fun, the shots are very satisfying, a lot going on, and while I originally hated the theme, I now really like it. It's super quirky and fun. I agree hobbit to me felt much deeper in ruleset and mode etc. POTC is great, but can be very mean on ball drains. It also is very multi ball heavy, and the chapters are nice in that they spread out shots over the field.
For me I'd like my 2nd game to be "different" from POTC. Ideally, something that is a bit "nicer" on the ball drains (helps with kids and wife!), so longer ball times is a plus. I'd also like something that is less multi ball, with more "shooter" fun where you have to hit certain things. There is no doubt the theme integration on hobbit is phenomenal. Did 3.0 decrease the amount of multiballs? If not I'd fear it is too similar to POTC in that regard. Hobbit seems like it would be an "adventure" with lots of specific shots needed to progress, where as you said, DI is more about the modes and the very satisfying shots you can make, along with the great quirky theme.
So, you can see why I'm torn! I want a game that is different than POTC, a change of pace, with a bit longer ball times.

One of the best changes to the Hobbit was a setting change that made it so Smaug Multiball couldn't be stacked with Beast multiball, saved a lot on the chaos of multiball after multiball. Multiball comes when you want it now.

#6212 5 years ago

Woo hoo!

#6215 5 years ago
Quoted from brooklynknight:

I believe this has been answered however I am having trouble finding the actual suggested solution. With my hobbit if I make a clean solid shot to the left ramp it 95% of the time flies off the rails when it hits what I believe is the first bend on its way to the flippers. I have taken down the power of the flipper solenoid however if a clean shot is made and it even has a little bit of speed behind it, it will not make it to the flipper before falling off.
Has anyone experienced this and if so how did you correct it? Do I need to bend part of the rail up?
Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Either increase the height of the back legs or use duct tape on the ramp (after the entrance) to slow the ball down. There is also a newer ramp for Hobbit but not sure if that prevents the ball from flying off. I think it does. Where does it fly off?

#6230 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I've stretched it a fair amount and it barely hits the D. I'm not comfortable trying to stretch it even more.

Search "blue spring" in this thread for a solution. I think Marco probably others sell them.

#6236 5 years ago

http://tiltforums.com/t/hobbit-pinball-rulesheet/1360

There is also a link somewhere in this thread with a list of related modes that can be completed in a particular order to get higher scores.

#6265 5 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Has anyone had an issue with the ball getting stuck above the railing post along the upper right side? It bounces off the DWARF targets when launched from the upper flipper at speed and comes back with a vengeance. Usually after a left orbit full speed loop. I was thinking of installing a toy as a blocking point or a plastic blocking panel below the rails. Has anyone else had this issue and solved it and can advise? Or just better to adjust upper flipper power down?
Is this the same issue as I described some posts ago with pictures included? I’m still looking for other solutions.

Above the spinner? I screwed a post into the side rail there. No more issue.

#6266 5 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

When is final code going to be released that is beyond 3.0 with the screwed up lighting effects at end of game? I am on 2.97 and waiting to upgrade again till everything settles.

I'm on 2.991, hardly any different than 3.0 but seems to not have the inherent issues 3.0 introduced. I'm probably going to wait for 3.11 before I update.

#6339 5 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

What Extra Ball settings do you guys play with? With a game as deep as this I want to turn some on without feeling like I'm "cheating" too much.

I bought mine used. Came with Xtra ball at 200k, 400k, 800k and 1,600k. Not sure if that is factory or not.

#6362 5 years ago

If you haven't already, make sure you turn on the setting that disables Beast Multiball from running during Smaug Multiball.

Also, I hardly ever go for Arkenstone modes anymore unless I'm close. It's all about the Modes for me and the Akernstone modes just kind of happen. Still have been one shot away from TABA (twice) but it rattles out. The frustration is real to get there!

1 week later
#6454 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

For what it’s worth, the Hobbit is THE easiest pin to take apart. I can do it in about 10 minutes. Remove legs. Pull PF, remove connectors, remove head, remove playfield. Then you can almost move it by yourself

Really?

2 weeks later
#6522 5 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

What is incredible in the latest code? I'm weighing going through the hassle of updating vs a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type of thing.

Depends on what you are currently running. Anything older than 2.991 and yeah, I'd do it.

1 week later
#6594 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Maybe it happened because when I started Feast frenzy I also had beast multiball and smog multiball going.

I turn off Smaug MB running with Beast MB. Way too chaotic.

#6595 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Taking the backbox off POTC is no trivial task. I still need to reassemble the thing. It’s turned into a dust collector since I moved it. Heavy ass game![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

People always complain about how expensive JPPs are, then they look under the hood. "Ohhhhhh"

1 month later
#6758 5 years ago

Killing Smaug is IMO the most satisfying shot in pinball history. Firstly you really should make sure your settings don't allow for Beast MB to run during Smaug MB. There is no reason to have both running, it is way too chaotic and makes it really hard to kill Smaug. It's still really hard to kill Smaug but almost impossible and accidental if both MBs are running at the same time. I usually go through the stages and then wait for the "Load the Windlance" command. Then I try to get one ball cradled on each flipper, load the Windlance with the left flipper and take aim at the missing dwarf drop target with the right flipper, shoot and BAM!

1 week later
#6786 5 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

What happens if you miss the Dwarf target, i.e. hit the wrong target?

You have to hit the flashing red man targets and then reload the arrow to try again.

#6804 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I've played it both ways.
I like them separate now.
Makes it a better more directed game.
Otherwise it's harder to finish one or the other mode and harder to concentrate on killing Smaug.

This is correct. Not sure why they didn't separate them as a default. I mean, when you have a mode, Smaug and Beast running, what's the point? It's just chaos, trying to keep the ball alive with no other goal. Fun once or twice but this game is such a good adventure it's best played when you know what to do to advance the quest.

1 week later
#6850 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I finally beat Smaug after ~40 games. Took the second Smaug MB to do it. The only regret I have about this mode is unless you're lucky enough to be able to glance up quickly and get lucky enough to see the "arrow" being "delivered", it feels like luck is used more than skill. Almost makes me wish they'd inserted a ball drain, then ejected one ball which I feel better replicates the movie as it was ONE arrow not many. What would've been really cool is while the ball drain happens, the video clip of Bard appears playing the clip of when he tells his son, "You look at me" and a BLACK ball appears in play which then you could focus on killing Smaug and it would be more skill than luck. They could still program in the one ball feature and movie clip though
I digress. Anyway I have to say that was no where as easy as destroying the ring like on LOTR. Now that I've played this enough I fell like I can better understand some of the previous comments in this thread and others. One that sticks out is, "TH is just multi ball after multi ball". To a degree I guess? But having multiple balls going and forcing a person to remember "flipper position" in order to make shots because you sure as hell can't take your eyes off the flippers is super freaking challenging. It certainly makes TH different from anything I've played. Especially trying to hit those damn holes while watching is hard enough as it is let alone flipper position! HS is just south of 4 million, 19 modes started, 7 finished and haven't been able to fire off battle of 5 armies "yet" and I am king of every category except TABA which to me is another Valinor which is something else I've yet to accomplish. The day I do my LOTR is getting traded off. lol
The one thing I really despise about the design is ball hop due to the angle of the bottom of ramp. I think a kit with longer screws and a plastic wedge placed underneath the ramp to smooth the ball travel out would be the ticket.

First off, if you haven't turned off Smaug MB running simultaneously with Beast MB, turn it off in settings. Cuts down on continuous MB chaos. Not sure why it isn't a default setting, tbh.

Secondly, killing Smaug is always difficult and I'm glad it is. One of the best payoffs in pinball history. The first time I killed him I had no idea how I did it. After awhile you learn the queues. You try and wait for the "load the windlance" callout and then keep one ball on each flipper. Shoot the windlance ramp with the left flipper while taking aim at the missing drop target with the right flipper. Shoot the right flipper to kill him. Still very difficult but much more controllable.

#6882 4 years ago

Personally I like to focus on completing the 31 modes. I find that I'm never far from the mini wizard modes after a whille. Plus, start enough modes gives you an akenstone. TABA or bust!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.50
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rondogg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=Rondogg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.