IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RhettDR.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8204 4 years ago

Hey all - Has anyone had any issues with the Kili Spinner (Right loop)?

It sometimes works. It sometimes doesn't. Registers the whole game / other times it quits mid game / still others - it STARTS working mid-game.
In switch test - it shows the switch as CLOSED (Blocked).

This FEELS to me like an opto that is slightly out of alignment.
I just bought the game and drove it home - So - "Ship Happens"

#8206 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Clean the opto. Make sure the spinner axle isn't bent, compare to working one. Check in Tests - Switches - Matrixed.
Not much you can adjust short of bending the wire axle that turns in the opto.
LTG : )

I agree 100% - the spinner is "breaking" the plane of the opto. I have cleaned it... but the lenses are all down inside the plastic housing.
Oh, well... I'll look more tonight - but I am not certain it will help. I called JJP...

1 month later
#8440 4 years ago

All - My "Bifur" switch is not working... It's switch #81. Before I go through mass disassembly - was wondering if there was a simple thing to check. Otherwise I am going to pull the entire drop-bank mechanism and see what's up. I did re-seat all of the connectors on that line, already... so, was hoping just a crummy connection. But so far - no improvement.

Thanks RDR

1 week later
#8517 3 years ago

Anyone know where to get the Beast Mech Pop Up Coils?
It is listed as "Out of Stock" on JJP's site.

P/N: 23-002004-01 jersey jack

4 months later
#9050 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

So the pinsider I bought this machine from had the Grand Champion score at 1,899,XXX. Well, on my second ball I had 1,850,000 or so and had already done Into the Fire and had Barrel Escape and Battle of the Five Armies lit up. I thought for sure I would beat the GC score, but then proceeded to epically choke on that last ball and finished with a 1,866,XXX score. FML...
At least I got the record for modes started, modes completed, beast slayer, etc. Don't know if I'll go on another run like that anytime soon (had multiple extra balls on that first ball), but it sure will be fun to try. Don't think this game will be leaving soon, if ever.

100,000 points is a LOT in the Hobbit... so, if that's your gap, don't count on getting it. ha!

Happens to all of us. The pinsider i bought mine from mentioned he really never "go into this game" My GC score is about 4M. And what a game that was.... I do this all the time tho. One game, first ball - Through Barrell escape and then got extras via "Mystery" "Score" "Mode Qualifiers" and then "Thorin"
So, 4 extras in the queue, plus the initial 2, and 'm still on the first ball...

Guess what happened.... lol! Drain / Drain / Drain / Drain / Drain game over....

I'm still chasing "There and Back Again" 24 modes is my best. It always seems to be my wall. And I can't beat Battle of the 5 armies nor barrel escape. I get there all the time, but can't beat them.

Oh, and if you are just getting into this game - wait until you kill Smaug... that is a GREAT pinball shot... one of the best ones out there. SOOOOO Satisfying.

#9064 3 years ago

Ok.... so the flipper fade / weakness is real bad on this machine. So, many multiballs, and such long ball-times, one would expect this issue...

I am assuming others have experienced it too.... Any pointers / cheats to make it better?
I always wondered if there was some type of graphite lubricant you could put inside the coil sleeve to "Help..." (Thinking back to my boyscout days...)

Maybe just replace the flipper coils and be done with it...? But still, likely will have fade during play. If it was just LESS BAD I would really be happy...
I have adjusted the flipper power. Prior to this, after "INTO THE FIRE" the flippers were so weak you could almost not play any longer.
So, I increased the power & it's much better. But as you get into Barrell Escape / and Battle of the Five Armies - the fade is terrible.

#9068 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

I've never had this problem. When you say long ball times, how long? A long game for me on Hobbit is maybe 30 minutes. I've had people over where the game has been played for hours non stop with no change.
How many games are on your machine? Perhaps it's time for a flipper rebuild.

That's interesting.... I have even watched some youtube vids of ppl playing Hobbit and they complain about it as well.

10 months later
#10523 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

It’s taken nearly a year but I finally reached Battle of the Five Armies! The transition from Stage 1 to Stage 2 <3 <3 I lost all my balls trying to shoot the D :-/
I wish I’d gotten to see Stage 3!
I’m still trying to calm down
Incredible pin.
[quoted image]

I recommend working on "BACKHANDING" the D - W - A - R - F, and trapping as many balls as you can.
It takes so much patience... And accepting that you may lose a ball or two.
I think it's Thorin / D / Thorin / W / Thorin / A / Thorin / R / Thorin / F / Thorin... But I can't recall perfectly.

Then you bash - I think "30 beasts"?
Then I think stage 6 is "Bash 100 Beasts."

If I recall. Once you know how to get there, you can make it fairly easily. Just pick the three easiest modes to do!
Multiball / Easy mode / Collect your dwarves / beast frenzy.

If I make it a priority to get there, and nothing else, I can do it most every game... (Again - this is assuming I try for nothing else).
Enjoy it! Its a fantastic game.

9 months later
#11307 1 year ago

A couple of years ago - I had some trouble with my Goblin pop-up not working (though it really really tries to work). I ordered a new coil and replaced. It really hasn't had any issues for some time. At the time, I emailed JJP and asked them... They responded with the following: "Have you tried the coil settings and seen where it is set? Possibly a bad connection at soldered posts or at the I-O board. Also check the assembly and the switches and use the switch test and see if it could be an issue. Alignment is another factor in the smoothness of its' operation. Moving the unit by hand is not a good way to test either. It could be a lengthy process to get it right. All in all try these items and get back with me."

So, I have looked at this, plugged / unplugged / etc... I just don't know what I am doing wrong. Mechanically (by hand) it's smooth as butter... I changed the sleeve, nothing seems to be binding etc... What else could make it NOT pop up?

So frustrating... Right now I am tempted to just buy another coil.

#11309 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

If its smooth operating and drops like a rock by hand its ok mechanically. There should be ZERO binding in the black metal track assembly.
If it starts and then drops immediately, the leaf switch gap is too close behind the character head..
If it wont operate at all in test, a wire is off or broken or disconnected.
Its usually not the coils.

It kinda tries - It floats a bit. You can see it come up - like a mm. It moves.
And when the ball finder triggered - it popped right up (once).
Hell - it seems like the leav switch is TOO FAR - you really have to smack it to get the hit to register.

I'd agree - it shouldn't be the coil...

#11325 1 year ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

It kinda tries - It floats a bit. You can see it come up - like a mm. It moves.
And when the ball finder triggered - it popped right up (once).
Hell - it seems like the leav switch is TOO FAR - you really have to smack it to get the hit to register.
I'd agree - it shouldn't be the coil...

Hey y'all - FWIW - I swapped the coil, hoping the problem would move with the coil. But it didn't. All the switches would register during test. But here was the interesting thing. When I would pull any beast upward in switch test.... (with my hands) the "BEAST UP" switch would light and stay lit during test. But when I grabbed the beast I was having problems with, and pulled it up... It was like - glitchy (would sometimes light, sometimes not). So, I simply bent the leaf spring to make it register every time. Once I did this - the beast worked perfectly and has been ever since ... So - All good!

3 months later
#11518 1 year ago

Anyone know where I can get the equivalent part for the "Microswitch with internal roller actuator" is? Part number 18-3005-01...
This is the beast "pop-up-detect" switch.

I see this one, at PinballLife..
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-ball-detect-blade-with-roller-sub-microswitch.html

This one at Marcos:
w/o Diode... https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5168-00
----> I think this is the one I would need... because there is a diode on the one, now. / Diode: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-12953

#11520 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

JJP Part Number 18-003005-01
Display Name/Code Microswitch w/Internal Roller Actuator
$2.99 plus shipping
order directly from JJP

Thanks.... but that one isn't coming up in the online search.

#11522 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Thats pretty common with JJP parts.
You have to call direct to order most stuff.

its been a while...! I remember now. Thanks.

1 year later
#12563 6 months ago

You guys! After owning this game for 3 years... I FINALLY beat the "Defeat of Azog" mode! I have tried countless times and never could get all the way through. That has to be one of the hardest (and coolest) modes I have ever played / beaten...

If you haven't done it - You have to shoot one of the holes as the 2nd to last shot. And when you do... it holds the ball in there while the Azog / Thorn Death scenes play on the screen... Very cool... Kind of like when you kill the dragon - And the game goes dead and you get to watch Smaug die.

This game - So much to do... I have been to TABA; but never beaten "Barrell escape," or "Battle of the five armies"...
I think I also have never beaten "The Bait" or "Queer Lodgings"

When I think I am tired of this game - it has a way of bringing out the fun again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.50
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RhettDR.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=RhettDR and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.