IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KevInBuffalo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1060 7 years ago

Just a heads up that we'll be live streaming The Hobbit from the Jersey Jack factory with Jack and crew next Saturday, July 23 at 1 p.m. Eastern! You can watch live on Twitch at http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

jjp_(resized).pngjjp_(resized).png

#1065 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Will you have a new firmware to play with?

Good question! I'll check

1 week later
#1200 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

No. Check jjp Facebook for a link to a 2 hour twitch stream of it. Haven't watched much of it yet
Also Steve bowmen has some cool videos on his Facebook page too.
Seems like early adopters can get a kit, comes with the troll fix and new stronger Springs for the drop targets. Have people been having drop target issues?

Here's the replay of yesterday's Twitch livestream from the Jersey Jack factory on the new 1.30 code. We had Steve Bowden with us and he and Nick showed off quite a bit of the game, including Into the Fire a few times!

#1205 7 years ago

Oh and here's the factory tour we did with Jack after the Twitch stream. The video quality isn't the best since it was broadcast live on Periscope but it's not too bad and Jack talks about a bunch of cool stuff:

2 years later
#5489 5 years ago

Joined the club yesterday. I’m going on an adventure!

583535D7-E99B-4D96-A500-497DDE8E00C3 (resized).jpeg583535D7-E99B-4D96-A500-497DDE8E00C3 (resized).jpeg
#5495 5 years ago

Going to stream some of the new 2.97 code tonight, 8 p.m. Eastern: http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

#5513 5 years ago

Adding another video to the pile for reference material, I got to Five Armies last night on the 2.96 code. Didn't complete any of the modes unfortunately but I've found it's good to have a spotter for these modes to call out the things you need to do during them.

Link should take you right to the start of that game: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/323208946?t=01h51m35s

1 week later
#5593 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Added the gold captive ball. Nice touch. We will see how long they look nice and shiny.[quoted image]

That does look nice, especially for the Smaug edition. Might have to go for it...

1 week later
#5667 5 years ago

Added green Titan rings and the ULEK Store slingshot/inlane protectors today
1DFFF029-CF94-4DC6-BE30-C4F31456A630 (resized).jpeg1DFFF029-CF94-4DC6-BE30-C4F31456A630 (resized).jpeg

EC00DCD0-4436-41DE-97E4-316A4AE2BCC0 (resized).jpegEC00DCD0-4436-41DE-97E4-316A4AE2BCC0 (resized).jpegFCE02346-9964-4B7B-8423-2DB9D471FC4B (resized).jpegFCE02346-9964-4B7B-8423-2DB9D471FC4B (resized).jpeg
#5671 5 years ago

But those plain targets! Needs some dressing up

Any recommendations? I usually don’t get into target decals but they look great on POTC next to it.

#5691 5 years ago

Nice little upgrade for the lockdown bar button. A button with gold trim like this would be good to have for JJPOTC too.

77A657C3-0B76-40E3-AC07-D057E54AD2AB (resized).jpeg77A657C3-0B76-40E3-AC07-D057E54AD2AB (resized).jpeg
#5707 5 years ago

Newton and captive ball upgrade.

63568BCE-30A2-40B3-A254-40C82D6FCDA8 (resized).jpeg63568BCE-30A2-40B3-A254-40C82D6FCDA8 (resized).jpeg99570248-B63B-4B16-9FE7-5DB4CE85F9D3 (resized).jpeg99570248-B63B-4B16-9FE7-5DB4CE85F9D3 (resized).jpegD40730A6-93E0-427D-A90E-75FC3693B0E8 (resized).jpegD40730A6-93E0-427D-A90E-75FC3693B0E8 (resized).jpeg
#5710 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Outstanding! Add the Erebor key and throne and you are in business!

I like the look of the throne but don’t like that it blocks the view of the ball in the back. Guess I’d have to see it in person to decide for sure.

#5809 5 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

Would love to see a video or stream with the new code.

I'm planning one for Monday night

#5834 5 years ago

Streaming Hobbit with 3.0 code and direct A/V from the machine tonight! 8 p.m. Eastern: http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

#5837 5 years ago

Thank you! Hobbit is my favorite game to stream solo, there’s just so much to do and experience. Hope to see you in chat later today.

#5855 5 years ago

Here’s the VOD from yesterday’s stream. Smaug had a rough night

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/v338192805

#5859 5 years ago

Highlighting a few parts of the stream. Here's a complete runthrough of Into the Fire (I LOVE this mode!):

#5861 5 years ago

I don't know the intricacies of the scoring, but I do know that the more difficult a mode you complete before going into ITF (or the other wizard modes) determines some of the scoring. So if you beat, say, The One Ring (a one-star mode), your ITF scoring will be a lot lower than if you beat a 5-star mode before going into it.

1 week later
#5923 5 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

These look great.
Where does one find these at. Can't seem to locate them. None of the normal part sites / mod sites seem to carry these.

http://www.pinballplating.com/quick-exchange-parts/brass-balls

1 week later
#6006 5 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Kevin from buffalo pinball has a stream where he tried to time out all the modes on 3.0, and his game glitched out (pf lights got stuck on mode 12 or so). Had to reboot twice to finally fix it. Anybody know what happened?...

I sent the team a stats dump after that stream. I’ll sure they’re on it )

1 month later
#6248 5 years ago

I recently added the Pindemption software to my Hobbit and will be streaming it tonight at 8 p.m. Eastern if you want to check out what it adds to the game! http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

hobbit1 (resized).jpghobbit1 (resized).jpg
#6271 5 years ago

Ha!!! We were literally just talking about this the other night at a pinball party at my house. Can you just add it??? Or do you need the hardware too? Tuning in for sure.

You have to send in he security dongle from your game and they add it for a $200 charge for the software only. Then you can turn pindemption on or off in your settings whenever you want.

I was quoted $800 if you want the ticket dispenser too.

Here’s a link to the full Pindemption stream for anyone who may have missed it. I played around with a bunch of different play types throughout the stream:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/364105979

#6289 5 years ago

I went with titan rubbers in green on my game. Posted some pics earlier in the thread.

#6294 5 years ago

I clipped out a ticket game where I defeated Smaug as well as a timed game with standard rules using the Pindemption software:

#6302 5 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

Thanks for the clip! Just a few hundred more games and you'd have enough tickets to get an MP3 Player!!!!

I'm cashing them all out for spider rings!!!

4 months later
#7040 4 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

I stopped by Lyons Classic Pinball a few weeks ago and the owner had an external powered subwoofer attached to an Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle. All I can say is WOW, I need one of these on my hobbit. I know that their have been brief discussions of this topic but I am curious to get recommendations on subwoofer make/model for The Hobbit? Also, I assume this just connects up to the leads on the existing cabinet sub? Oh yeah, is it possible to connect a single subwoofer to multiple games?

I’ve got a Polk PSW10 on mine and it’s awesome, especially when Smaug talks. Using the L and R inputs it’s possible to hook one sub up to two pins.

1 month later
#7189 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Looking for input on new rubber set for my hobbit. Titan, white standard rubbers etc.

I did green Titans on mine, pics are posted further back in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/114#post-4670113

1 month later
#7469 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

JJP support has no suggestions or ideas so I'm at a bit of a loss for my freezing-LED issue. New BAG board is $230+ and Kevin (support) does not think that will necessarily fix my problem, so that's more than I'd like to gamble at the moment. Going to try a different power source tonight (run an extension cord to a different circuit) and possibly a different location tomorrow (friend's arcade) to see if I've somehow got 'dirty' power in my old house that could be making the machine unhappy. Will also be trying messing with the ferrites on the BAG board cables. Grasping at straws, so if anyone else has anything they think is worth trying let me know. Want to rule everything out before I spend a couple hundred bucks on a new board, and if that doesn't fix it the machine will go up for sale with the issue disclosed as I can't justify keeping this expensive of a pin w/out being able to route it in the future.

Try replacing the USB cable that runs from the BAG board to the CPU. It made a difference on my game.

2 months later
#7763 4 years ago

I need help, fellow Hobbitses.

My playfield lights and Smaug frequently lock up during gameplay. You can see an example of it here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/491641015?t=828s

(It happened a few other times during that stream too).

I’ve heard it may be an issue with the BAG board so I reseated connections on it and replaced the USB cable, but it’s still happening. I was going to bite the bullet and buy a new BAG board but I don’t see any on the JJP site. Any troubleshooting recommendations appreciated. Thank you!

#7768 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I had the same thing happen about 2 years ago on mine....replaced the BAG board and was good to go.

Thank you. I'll see if I can track one down...

#7770 4 years ago

Would be nice if someone knew how to fix 'em -- seems silly to replace when you could potentially repair.

#7774 4 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Would be nice if someone knew how to fix 'em -- seems silly to replace when you could potentially repair.

Update: Turns out JJP will repair these. I'm sending mine in, hopefully it does the trick.

#7782 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Quick question(s)
1. What is the repair cost?
2. How much is a new board?
Thanks!
EDIT: Not to answer by own question, but I found my old invoice (date 11/25/2016).
The Bus & GI Controller Board (JJP Part Number: 15-000033-00) was $149.00 + shipping.

Repair is estimated around $100 (depending what’s needed) plus shipping

Replacement is $227.99 plus shipping.

Looks like prices went up a bit

3 weeks later
#7866 4 years ago

So I got my replacement BAG board from JJP, but I’m still having issues with the lights locking up. Any other ideas? @ltg?

2 months later
#8116 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Spot light replacement bulbs..
amazon.com link »

I use these from Comet: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/opmax-12v

11 months later
#9668 3 years ago
Quoted from gump79:

Sounds like a perfect job for kevinbuffalo

I mean, I have all the JJPs except WoZ, so let me know if I can help!

2 months later
#10176 2 years ago

Hey Hobbiteers, looking for some assistance.

Been having on and off issues with light boards in my game. Here's a gameplay example of what happens. The game will play normally for a while and then the lights will lock up and Smaug's mouth freezes. A reboot will bring everything back but after a bit of gameplay it will happen again:

So far I've done the following:

1. Sent BAG board in for repair from JJP, since that has been a common point of failure for issues like this. JJP determined it to not be repairable so I received a brand new one. Lights kept locking up.
2. Through troubleshooting (swapping boards around, testing new Ethernet cables, etc.), figured out that one of the three RGB LED Controller Boards went bad (Part # 15-0031-00).
3. Purchased a replacement and everything worked for a while, then eventually a second one went bad. Purchased a replacement and eventually the third went bad.

It seems like something in the game is killing these boards. Any tips on how to figure out what is doing it and how to remedy the issue?

Thanks!

hobbit (resized).jpghobbit (resized).jpg
#10187 2 years ago

Thanks for all the tips on my Hobbit issue -- I'm gonna try to dig into it tonight and will report back!

1 week later
#10227 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

KevInBuffalo - I missed your stream in real time but caught the results . Next step is to try the rubber band fix!! If the only cable you need to disconnect is the Ethernet/RJ45 cable, that was my situation and the rubber band / fixing his mouth mechanism was the long term fix for me

Yep I'm happy with the results after last night. I mentioned at the end of the stream that there were a number of things I tried, including reseating power connections, changing USB ports for the cable that feeds the playfield, and adjusting the values of Smaug's mouth. Considering it held up after that last game where I defeated Smaug and got to Five Armies I'm calling it good to go.

#10232 2 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I may have missed your earlier post - what did you do to resolve?

I did all those things: reseating power connections, changing USB ports for the cable that feeds the playfield, and adjusting the values of Smaug's mouth. One of those things did the trick, but since I didn't playtest after each change I can't say specifically what worked, but I'm guessing it was Smaug's mouth binding.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 25.50
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KevInBuffalo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=KevInBuffalo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.