IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Indusguys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3195 6 years ago

This is what you are looking for:

https://images.pinside.com/9/e6/06/9e606a352e15a007144268aa620e681900746c88.pdf

There are also some good videos on youtube.

There are a lot of different strategies to getting high scores, that is the fun of this pin! You have to figure out what works for you, stacking modes with Multiballs and qualifying for extra balls, mini wizard modes etc...

1 week later
#3249 6 years ago

I recommend taking the back box off, very easy to do and makes moving a little easier.

#3261 6 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

How does the back box come off? I also thought I read in this thread that the playfield comes out easily...

I would not recommend removing the play field , unless absolutely necessary. The back box is easy to remove because it only has 4 or 5 cables that need to be disconnected compared to Stern machines that have much much more. Disconnect the cables then unscrew the hinges, 2 bolts, and there you have it, piece of cake.

3 months later
#3754 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Almost completed into the fire, got to third stage of Barrel Chase, missed the kill shot on Smaug...one heck of an epic game! I love this game. Just a shout out to fellow owners, I know this game gets some hate on here, but this is one purchase I don't regret. I've had it since March and no major issues except it continues to kick my butt. I'm sure my next 20 games will stink, but an epic run like tonight keeps me coming back. I hope you all love it like I do. Makes me feel like a kid again, and for me, that is what pinball is all about.

Very well said, I feel exactly the same!

1 month later
#3799 6 years ago

Hey everyone, my right orbit spinner is not registering/advancing to Erebor. Does this switch need replacement or is there a simple fix?

#3801 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Tests switch test matrixed switch tests then spin it and see if the game registers it. If not physically push down on the micro switch arm next to the spinner
Does that register? If so then your actuator (switch arm) needs a gentle Bend up carefully hold the arm down against the body when you bend it
If still not reading look at 2 pin connector underneath and look for broken soldered wires on the switch body

Thank you sir, but the spinner is registering now? I didn't do anything. If it starts acting up again I will try your suggested actions.

1 month later
#3984 6 years ago

Hey guys, my Orc just stopped registering hits? Without taking the beast out how much can I diagnose? What I can see so far is no loose solder connections or sheared wires. The leaf switch itself looks perfect, and should be working. The coil that raises the beast is operating properly and the switch at the inlane works to pop the beast up.

#3986 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Tests - Switches - Matrixed, push it up, hit the character face - does it work then ?
LTG : )

Nope, it does not register/work.

#3988 6 years ago

I can't see anything obvious, will this job require the removal of the orc pop up?

#3990 6 years ago

I should have some time to tackle this tomorrow, I will report back with my findings.

Thanks!

#3994 6 years ago

Yep game is off, I am about to get to work! Not too sure how to put a meter on the connector, but I will see if any wires need attention.

#3998 6 years ago

White wire is severed to the leaf switch behind the beast's head, problem solved!

#4011 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

So what's your next move? Can you fix the wire without replacing it?

Just soldered it back together and put heat shrink around the joint. I didn't need to replace it, but that certainly was an option, but more work.

1 month later
#4144 6 years ago

I just turned on my game this morning and it is saying to "check Matrix Switch #28 and #30 Smaug Limit? What do I do next?
Thanks in advance.

#4147 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Go into Tests - Switches - Matrixed, and check them to see if they work. If not, check if they need adjusting, cleaning, broken wires or loose connectors, etc.

Thanks, I will have a look see and report back.

1 week later
#4170 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Go into Tests - Switches - Matrixed, and check them to see if they work. If not, check if they need adjusting, cleaning, broken wires or loose connectors, etc.

I am just getting around to checking this, but I can't locate where these switches are? Are they under the whole Smaug assembly? I have taken off Smaug's plastics before, but I haven't taken off the turntable that he sits on.

#4172 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Manual has a drawing with switch locations.

Yes I have looked at the manual, I expected to be able to inspect the switches from the top of the play field. Am I missing something obvious, or do I have to take Smaug apart to find the switches underneath?

#4174 6 years ago

The head is moving fine, the limit switches aren't activating and I can't see any obvious loose connection.

#4176 6 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

Since both switches are out, that points to some sort of connection issue. Check the plug on J100. It's a 6-pin header. Follow it to make sure there isn't a broken wire.
You can also try wiggling the wire/plug while in Switch Test to see if either of the limit switches trigger. This would indicate a loose connection or broken wire.
--Ted

what do the switches look like for the end points, i can't even locate them. (yes i looked in the manual, no help to me, i need color pictures).

#4177 6 years ago

I will check the plug at j100.

#4179 6 years ago

Not much time today, but I will see what I can do.

#4181 6 years ago

I unplugged and reseated those connectors and nothing changed. Is Smaug's head supposed to stop immediately upon reaching his end points?

#4196 6 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

There are mechanical stops at each end, so the head will stop rotating. If the switches aren't working, the motor will continue to run for a while after hitting a stop, since there is no feedback to tell the game that the head is at a limit.

Ok, mine is continuing to run for a while after hitting the stops. I think I will have to pull the whole Smaug unit to get at these switches, and I am not in a rush to do this.

#4197 6 years ago

Ok, so I pulled Smaug and immediately noticed the problem. There is a small metal tab that fits between the optical switches and mine was bent enough so it wouldn't fit. I used needle nose pliers to gently bend it back. Even after some careful adjustments the tab was still too long, so I took a dremel and ground off a small amount of the tab.

After that I noticed that the chip that is socketed on the board underneath Smaug was damaged as well. One of the screws that holds the servo/jaw bracket in place sticks out the bottom near the chip. When I was testing to see if the metal tab would fit between the optos I turned Smaug too far and damaged the chip and the socket by hitting the screw. Anyway, put it all back together and still doesn't register end points. Probably damaged the chip or the socket.

I don't think my Smaug ever worked straight from the factory. The metal tab is so strong that there is no way the motor on Smaug could have bent it.

#4204 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Ok, so I pulled Smaug and immediately noticed the problem. There is a small metal tab that fits between the optical switches and mine was bent enough so it wouldn't fit. I used needle nose pliers to gently bend it back. Even after some careful adjustments the tab was still too long, so I took a dremel and ground off a small amount of the tab.
After that I noticed that the chip that is socketed on the board underneath Smaug was damaged as well. One of the screws that holds the servo/jaw bracket in place sticks out the bottom near the chip. When I was testing to see if the metal tab would fit between the optos I turned Smaug too far and damaged the chip and the socket by hitting the screw. Anyway, put it all back together and still doesn't register end points. Probably damaged the chip or the socket.
I don't think my Smaug ever worked straight from the factory. The metal tab is so strong that there is no way the motor on Smaug could have bent it.

What is the best way to contact JJP? I sent them a email on Sunday and haven't heard back?

#4207 6 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

Did you just email, or did you submit a support ticket? Support tickets usually get answered fairly quickly.

I went to "contact" on their website and explained the situation, haven't heard back? If that is a support ticket, then yes I filled it out.

#4210 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Call them. Much faster and they will do a great job of helping you.

I will try giving them a call. Thanks Guys.

1 month later
#4330 6 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Ok so my Smaug head was still giving me issues last night.
I powered the game on and it does the calibration and then the head did it's "stutter/shake" thing again when it hits the right stop. I shut down the game and pulled the glass. I manually moved his head from stop to stop and found it binding a bit when going to the right stop. Looking at it more I do see that some wires are getting tight.
I lifted the playfield. There are 2 looms of wires that run up into his head. The one on the right (see picture) actually comes from above the playfield, then through this hole and up into his head. That's the one that is getting tight. I pulled on it with pick to try and give it slack. When it goes back and forth, it gets tight again. No matter what I did, I couldn't get these wires to have more slack.
It's almost as if the hold these two looms pass through is a bit too small. Any ideas here? Anyone else have this issue? Is there a way to remove his head and still have the turntable there so I can get a better look?

My Smaug did the same thing, it is likely the metal tab that goes in between the opto switches or the chip on the smaug controller board that is rubbing causing issues, I really hope it is the wires but I doubt it. Check to make sure the metal tab is not bent and if it is try to gently bend it back into place. I ended up having to dremel mine because it was to difficult to bend.

#4331 6 years ago

Check post #4197 a couple pages back where I had the same issue.

2 weeks later
#4420 6 years ago

I like the idea of the modes counting as some sort of multiplier if you actually finished the mode 100%. That would really entice me to finish more modes and actual care if I finished them. As for now I am happy if I finish one but if I don't I could care less as well.

2 weeks later
#4478 6 years ago

I would probably put some iso on a rag or paper towel and give the rollovers a good rub down, I don't get airballs off my rollovers.

#4504 6 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/9#post-3168161

Post #402 seems like an easier way of achieving the same goal.

#4509 6 years ago

My rollover targets are not perfectly level with the play field and I don't get any airballs and they register perfectly for over a year of play, never adjusted them once. Just sharing my experience so others don't think the rollovers have to be perfectly level, mine have been this way from factory, no adjusting necessary for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 25.50
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Indusguys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=Indusguys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.