IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GTO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8895 3 years ago

Considering buying a Hobbit. Question: is playfield dimpling fairly common, or simply for games produced after a certain date? Which manufacturing date (or game version) should I look for which would have all the fixes done from the factory?

TIA

#8896 3 years ago

Also, which version would you recommend: Standard, LE, Black Arrow, or Smaug?

#8898 3 years ago

Are there any distros carrying Hobbits (used), or is the only way to buy dealing with a private seller?

#8902 3 years ago

Question for all you Hobbit owners: has any of you ever removed the head from the machine (and how difficult is it)? How much of a difference does it make (how much does the head weigh)?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking to possibly buy one and can take a regular pinball machine with my appliance dolly on my own. However, taking a Hobbit upstairs on my own does scare me. Usually my wife spots me when pulling them upstairs, but not looking forward to killing her with this one.

#8905 3 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

This game is heavy. If you are doing it alone, video it so you can show the emergency dept. They could do with the laugh about now.

That's why I'm asking about the backbox. If it sheds 50-60 pounds and gets this machine to around 300lbs or less, then we have a chance.

#8930 3 years ago

For those of you with Hobbits at home, how do they do with casual players? Kids?

#8985 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:Congrats on getting an awesome game!
Set the playfield pitch to between 7.1 and 7.2.
Game should not be floaty.

Picking one up next weekend. What should I set flipper power to in order to still make ramps consistently at that pitch?
TIA

1 week later
#9022 3 years ago

Just joined the club!!! Extremely excited this is now sitting right where it belongs (next to LOTR).

IMG_20200913_220258 (resized).jpgIMG_20200913_220258 (resized).jpg
#9025 3 years ago

Now, what are the must have mods? I've seen:

-Lior barrel legs (I must have this)
-Ring button plaque (need to get this as well)
-Bilbo's home (getting this)
-New shooter rod handle (can't believe they went so cheap with the stock one)
-Lior's book cover (probably not, I'm okay with the stock book cover)
-Barrel spotlights (maybe?)

Any others I'm not aware of?

#9026 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

That's a pretty fucking ordinary photo.

I took it with a potato. Will try to get a proper photo later.

#9028 3 years ago

Also, has anyone gotten the side art blades? Any pictures you could provide? Wondering how good they look.

#9035 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Congrats! That's the way you do it!
[quoted image]

Love the gold trim on the head of your Hobbit!

#9036 3 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

They compliment each other well
[quoted image]

I wonder how many Hobbit owners also have an LOTR. By the way, the game is simply amazing! My family were all blown away by the game.

#9043 3 years ago

So the pinsider I bought this machine from had the Grand Champion score at 1,899,XXX. Well, on my second ball I had 1,850,000 or so and had already done Into the Fire and had Barrel Escape and Battle of the Five Armies lit up. I thought for sure I would beat the GC score, but then proceeded to epically choke on that last ball and finished with a 1,866,XXX score. FML...

At least I got the record for modes started, modes completed, beast slayer, etc. Don't know if I'll go on another run like that anytime soon (had multiple extra balls on that first ball), but it sure will be fun to try. Don't think this game will be leaving soon, if ever.

#9060 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The objective is to go on an adventure!

What I feel like whenever I push the start button:

going on an adventure.gifgoing on an adventure.gif
#9062 3 years ago

Smaug special editions have a gold head.
But you might be able to buy one.
Thry offered me one of each color when i bought my game.
I left it gold.

I have a Smaug Gold special edition, but my head trim is not gold.

1 week later
#9108 3 years ago

Finally feel like I have made this machine mine by bumping previous owner from Grand Champion score (I know I could have just reset the scores when I bought it, but not really my style):

IMG_20200924_215228 (resized).jpgIMG_20200924_215228 (resized).jpg
#9109 3 years ago

Also, don't judge my score. I've only owned it for two weeks.

#9122 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

You doubled my score and I got mine shortly before you. I'm really starting to wonder why I bother with pinball. lol I think I am going to switch from 3 to 5 ball.........

I was a bit lucky on that one. My previous high score was only 1,866,XXX so definitely had everything working for me on this one, including getting one more extra ball on my last ball.

#9126 3 years ago
Quoted from dabear007:

Congrats!
I've had my Black Arrow for exactly 4 weeks now and almost hit 5 Million 2 nights ago.
made it the 5th level of Battle of the Five Armies on an epic 2 hour game!
Shoulders are still a little sore.
Lol
Wish I could've seen all the action on the screen, those Arkenstone modes can get intense.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nicely done! That is my only issue with the Hobbit, the fact that I don't get to enjoy all the cool animations, especially during those Arkenstone modes.

#9134 3 years ago

Anyone else ever have issues with the 5-ball through? I got an error stating to check connectors, switches, and 12v power. Did all that, reseated the connectors at the ball through opto as well as the lower left I/O board and the issue went away temporarily. However, it came back after about 20 minutes.

Here is what it does:

-If in the middle of play, flippers go dead, ball drains, but it does not register that the ball has drained (seems to think it already drained and maybe that is why flippers go dead?) and it does not kick out a new ball.
-Sometimes, if on multiball, it will just continue multiball when down to one ball but not kick out any more balls even if supposed to. Once the ball drains, no other balls come out.
-If at the start of a game, it will just not kick out any balls.

All of these will go on endless ball searches right afterwards.

Almost seems like a loose connector, but I have removed and reconnected all of them and it only provides a temporary solution. Anything else I could be missing?

#9138 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

From ball trough to I/O board ?
LTG : )

Yes, I think there were 3 connectors at the ball through and about 4-5 at the I/O board. I'll try again tonight and see what happens.

#9139 3 years ago

Bad wire/crimp on the I/O board connector for the optos?
Check the schematic
I have found bad crimps all over my WOZ and Hobbit.
The workers sometimes are new and dont get them right.
Its not just JJP. I found bad crimps all over my Houdini too.
Tugging on single wires is scary but informative.
Be ready to fix them when you find them.
At some point im changing out the wal-nuts on my WOZ for lever nuts.
Its scary to see whole sections of the game power down by pulling on the big black hose lol.

So basically tug each wire at the connector and see if any come loose?

#9152 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeffswack:

So my hobbit small lcd isn't working. Did this once before during a mb but a power cycle fixed it. No such luck now. Happened again during mb. Connections appear to be solid. I did however see this connector. Not sure if normal or not.
[quoted image]

I believe that one is normal. I think I have the same connector without anything attached as well.

#9175 3 years ago

So, I became Into The Fire Champ tonight. Does that mean I finished Into The Fire, or how the heck does one finish that mini-wizard mode?

#9195 3 years ago

Multi-Thorin Multibaaaalllll!

#9202 3 years ago

My Hobbit sits around 7.3 incline. Just scored 3,695,XXX. Killed Smaug and played all three Arkenstone mini-wizard modes. The through issue I've been having still happens from time to time (about every other day). I had tightened the connectors at the opto board, but tonight I did the same at the I/O board. Tugged on all the wires and did not notice any loose ones. Then I went on a game that was over an hour long with no issues, so hopefully that is the end of that (fingers crossed).

#9203 3 years ago

Question for everyone: how hard is it to update the code? Will I still keep all my scores? I'm running version 2.96 and I noticed that the game forgot I was Into The Fire champion. Read up on it and sounds like that was an issue which was addressed by a code update.

Second question: what is everyone's recommended maintenance schedule? How often do you clean and wax the playfield? Do you have to grease the gears on the Smaug head every certain amount of time?

#9208 3 years ago

My game looks like brand new after thousands of plays.

No dimpling? Mine shows some dimpling already due to the ocassional airballs. Otherwise, no other playfield issues. I bought it with 82 games played and I'm probably up to 120-150 (haven't checked the number recently).

#9231 3 years ago

Is it just me, or do you guys also love hearing Azog's laughter at the beginning of Into The Fire?

#9248 3 years ago

Updated from version 2.96 to 3.10. Really enjoy having the added callouts, light sequences, and tracking of the completed stages in the Arkenstone modes. Also, am I crazy or are the green lights shining on the bottom of Smaug new? Well, probably not "new" since the bulbs are already there, but definitely used more in non-Smaug multiball sequences so that I got to notice them now.

#9267 3 years ago

For you fellow owners, do you have cliffy's on your game? Where did you orders yours from?

#9287 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

Unsolicited status update
I replaced my ramp assembly (5 broken welds on the original) and got a chance to install Chuck’s Bag End mod and Lior’s Book/Stand and Barrel Legs mods at the same time.
I’ve also been troubleshooting Smaug’s mouth and hoping it’s somehow related to my lights freezing since that’s all through the BAG board. I added a little counterbalancing rubber band to offset the weight of his mouth. That addition dramatically improved the mechanism’s performance. No freezes yet, but could be jinxing myself
[quoted image]

I was also thinking of getting the Bag End mod. Do you think it affects visibility into the pop bumpers area very much? That has been my main concern with getting it.

#9293 3 years ago

What is everyone's favorite shot in this game? I'm guessing the one to kill Smaug? For me it is the one to complete 3rd level of Into The Fire (shooting the captive ball for super jackpot right between the orc and goblin pop-ups).

#9294 3 years ago
Quoted from Antron77:

No I didn't clear the cmos, didn't know what that was until I Googled it. JJP didn't mention doing that either.
I don't have any pc parts laying around but I don't mind going out and buying a new power supply if thats what its going to take to get this up and running.

Man, I feel your pain. Mine was down for about two weeks because none of the playfield or GI lights were working. Made sure the mini USB was connected tightly, checked every connector a thousand times, checked voltages, ordered a new BAG board (didn't fix the issue), checked all the RGB boards, checked I/O board, and spoke with JJP support tech on the phone. It ended up just being the actual USB cable going bad. Replaced with a different mini-USB cable and everything was back to normal. I wasted so much time on that, but glad it was figured out. It was super frustrating.

JJP tech Ken Holland was amazing and spent a ton of time on the phone walking me though all possible issues. Awesome experience dealing with him. Hope your game is back in business soon!

#9295 3 years ago

One last issue I have, not the end of the world, but would like to fix it. Smaug gives me an error on startup. It rotates left and right and when it reaches near the end of its turn towards the ramps, it stutters and gives a movement error on diagnostics. Once I dismiss the error and start a game, Smaug will just stay facing the playfield (will not move left/right), but still does everything else well (lights, eyes, and jaw moves properly when speaking).

I manually moved him back and forth with the power off and notice that at the end of the turn (towards the center of the playfield), it seems to have some resistance. Feeling around, it seems like the back of his head is rubbing against the left ramp near the end of Smaug's turn. Anyone ever had an issue like that? Any recommendations on how to fix it?

#9299 3 years ago
Quoted from Antron77:

I actually had this same issue. Back of head was rubbing against right wall of ramp. You can actually see some wear on the red paint. I just took a pair of pliers and bent the wall left some. It fixed the issue for me. It hasn't rubbed since and Smaug hasn't had any issues.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give this a try.

1 week later
#9319 3 years ago

Guys, JJP store has full plastic set for The Hobbit for $49.99!

Don't walk, run!

http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Parts/The-Hobbit-Parts/Hobbit-Printed-Plastics-Set.html

#9320 3 years ago

Same deal for Dialed-in plastics set.

#9325 3 years ago

Done! its a steal! thanks!

Yeah, if you are planning on keeping the game for a while it is a no-brainer. Dirt cheap price for a complete plastics set.

2 weeks later
#9352 3 years ago

Been having an issue that I hope someone here may have experience/know a fix. Sometimes in the middle of a game, the game will think I have drained while a ball is still in play, flippers go dead, music acts like I just lost my ball, and of course the ball will drain. The game then goes through the usual end of ball score tally.

Now at this point, sometimes it will go into the next ball and kick the next ball into the shotter lane and proceed as normal. However, some other times it will not kick a ball out. It will just go into an endless ball search. The weirdest thing is that if I open the door and then close it (and turn the key to close it), it will then kick a ball into the shooter lane.

If I was on multiball, and it was supposed to kick adfditional balls into the lane, it will not kick them out. I'll keep playing multiball with only one ball. If it drains, multiball keeps going. I can do the trick opening and closing the door, but it will only kick out one ball.

Any ideas? Thought it was the through opto, but I reconnected all the cables and no luck. The strange things are:

-I can get a good 30 minutes or so of the game operating normally but then this starts happening at some point.
-No idea why opening and closing the door helps to kick a ball into the shooter lane when the game can't find one during ball search.

This is driving me crazy! Hope someone has some ideas before I reach out to JJP.

#9354 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Balls magnetized ?

That does makes sense. I'm almost sure I have a pack of new balls. I'll try that tomorrow and report back.

1 month later
#9533 3 years ago
Quoted from Furio:

I have an interesting issue that is popping up on occasion. It's rare enough that I can't simply call my shop guy out to take a look. During gameplay, usually after a decent game, often after the first Wizard mode, the lights across the entire game all come on and stay a single color. Similar to dying to Smaug's breath where they burn up red. However, the bug is that they don't reset and everything stays lit and none of the features or ques are active for any modes from that point forward. It makes continuing on that game near impossible once you have trained yourself to look for the ques. Once you do a hard (powered)reset, everything works fine again for what could be a several day span, 20-40 games before you see it happen again. That makes this hard to troubleshoot.
I am going to update code and see if there is something buggy there by chance.
My only other issue on this game is Smaug tests fine but doesn't want to turn and speak all the time. Mostly we think that's just a loose wire as whenever we fiddle with the connection he works fine for a bit then it stops again. What would be the best method for securing that wire? A bit of hot glue?
Thanks!

Before you go through all the trouble of finding if it is an issue with the board, I went through the exact same issue. Same with the lights being stuck and resetting after turning off and on. After a couple of weeks, the playfield lights would not even come on even when restarting. Got a new IO board from JJP and no luck. Tested voltage at all the boards, switched connectors all over. It finally ended up being solved by replacing the mini USB cable from the IO board with a new one. Try that first and if it works will save you a lot of trouble.

As for your Smaug head, is it rubbing/getting stuck against the ramp when trying to turn? Mine had that issue out of the blue and was fixed by lightly bending that part of the ramp away from the Smaug head.

#9534 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I fixed the target and I'm still intermittently dropping flippers. My wife just saw it in multiball. I don't see anything wrong on the coil wiring.
This one is a bummer.

This happened to me for a while. Clean the ball through optos and re-seat all wires to the ball through. The game kept thinking I had lost all balls at random times and both flippers would go dead, forcing the drain. If I opened the door and closed it again, then the game would kick out another ball and act like nothing happened. Yes, this happened a lot during multiball, but also at other times.

4 weeks later
#9639 3 years ago

Weren't there rumors at the end of last year of a possible code update? Or am I imagining things?

#9641 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

At some point the Wifi stuff for updates, etc. Not sure of anything else.

I see. 2-player co-op would be the bee's knees, if it ever could be done. A game with code this massive could really benefit from it.

#9647 3 years ago

I find headphones somewhat pointless with Hobbit. The drop target banks are so loud that when the headphones are in, it still makes way too much noise for everyone else. If anything, the noise of the drop target banks without any music to mask the sound is even worse.

#9680 3 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Thanks, I still want it. Everything else I heard was good so it just surprised me.

For me, the best thing about the game is how immersive it is. The theme integration is second to none. I'm sure you can enjoy the pin on its own without watching the movies. However, I would guarantee you that if you watch the movies it will take the pin to a whole other level.

#9684 3 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Thats an interesting point about a the ramps not being satisfying, I agree with that general impression they are easy to hit I don't find them satisfying - but ok thats 2 shots, and you have a world of satisfying modes that have intense shots and when you get the progress up to 90% and need a shot X its satisfying as all get out when you hit it or try for it and miss it. Also when your really into the game, and you have a figure pop up and blocks what you want to do, and you have to figure out do I pass it do I hit it because I have enough time to go after that again.... or or or... Heck of a game.

Good point. There is nothing more satifying than sneaking a shot right behind one of the beast mechs blocking the ramp.

#9697 3 years ago

Just here to restate that I still think this game is amazing and one of the best.

That's all.

1 week later
#9733 3 years ago

Travahontas - got the bag end gate mod, installed and played a few games with it, and have to say it is absolutely amazing. Many fancy mods get all the accolades, but they usually just enhance the appearance of the games. This one ACTUALLY improves the gameplay! Mod of the Year in my eyes. Thank you very much for creating it!

#9744 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Hmm, I'm not certain. Here is a photo of the boards that I already replaced that JJP sent me. [quoted image]

I spent a ton of time replacing bag boards, changing wiring, measuring voltages, etc. In the end, my issue was simply resolved by replacing the mini USB cable that goes from the bag board to the back of the PC motherboard. I would suggest you try that and see if that works.

I wanted to kick myself, as it was such an easy and quick solution. You may not have the same issue, but if I were you I would try replacing USB cables with new ones where you can.

#9750 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Thanks so much, GTO, I'll try that fix. One question, which one is the BAG board? Apologies in advance for my ignorance!

It is in green on page 162 of the user manual (you can download a PDF copy from Jersey Jack's website). The red arrow represents the mini USB. The other wire looms could possibly have a connector that needs reseated properly, but honestly I would start with the mini USB cable from the bag board and work my way to ther USB cables. If that does not fix the issue, try the CAT5 cables next. I think the quality of the factory cables is pretty inconsistent, so trying by replacing with some of your own is worth a shot.

#9751 3 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

Auto Plunge when not ready to start??
Every once in a while a ball will auto plunge at the start of a persons turn when they are not ready?
It doesn’t happen all the time but it does happen ...
Any thoughts?

Besides what others said about a switch, I would also check the ball through connections and clean the ball through optos. This used to cause balls not to kick out, kick out too much, or register phantom drains on mine.

#9778 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

Mass produced products spoil us on prices for sure. For a custom designed, handcrafted, low volume production of a product developed just for our little Hobbit community, though.... IMHO this is priced MORE than fairly.

Wish there was some video of it in action. Like, if it glows and swirls like the movie's arkenstone that would be killer.

#9779 3 years ago

I always seem to miss out on mods because by the time I have the money to buy them, they're no longer available

With that being said, does anyone have an extra:

-ring button engraved plate
-Lior's barrel legs
-Lior's book cover
-mod for bag end

That they would be willing to sell?

#9795 3 years ago
Quoted from Modelvisionary:

I just added an option to buy the Arkenstone and the crystal clear One Ring shooter together for a sizeable discount, $199 for both.[quoted image][quoted image]

Damn, that's a great deal! I have the red one ring shooter on my LOTR and absolutely love it. This is so tempting... Would this deal be valid with the blood red or black one ring shooter as well?

#9832 3 years ago

Are the map pinblades the best ones for Hobbit? I've seen 3 or 4 different art blades, but those appear to be the most popular. Any testimonials from people who own them?

#9839 3 years ago

Do those come with pre-cut holes for the inside bolts, like the ones from Pingraffix?

#9846 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Just got a high score and heard a call out I haven’t heard before! Gandalf says “Son of a Took!” I lloled. That’s not even in the hobbit movies is it?

I think that line is from LOTR.

Actually, I stand corrected. In LOTR he said: "Fool of a Took."

#9852 3 years ago

Last night I made it to Barrel Escape multiball, all the way to the last stage, last shot lit up for the final super jackpot. Two balls left and I choked on such an easy shot three times, drain, end of multiball.

Legolas is still Barrel Escape champion.

For now...

1 week later
#9916 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

gto - Arkenstone start button video as promised! This is the 2-inch model. It's REALLY impressive. I added a little wiring mod to mine to make the light pulse instead of blink.
https://superskillshot.com/products/arkenstone-2-lighted-start-button-for-the-hobbit

Thank you so much for the video! The button is nice, but your wiring mod takes it to another level!

#9943 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I put cliffys on Hobbit last night. Not the easiest job, particularly on the left side, but I'm happy with the results. I was getting a little wear around the holes.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I did the cliffy on the right about a month ago. Looked at the left side and everything that had to be removed and said "nope!". I know I need to get it done, but been super lazy about it.

#9944 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Really? I always hear people think that it’s boring, floaty etc. I think others are realizing it’s really not like that but for many, they still do. Hence the price being the lowest jjp by far.

Yep, I also heard a lot of the same complaints before getting one:

1. Boring
2. Bare playfield
3. Floaty
4. Long ball times
5. Multiball heavy

Being a huge LOTR/Hobbit fan, and already owning an LOTR pinball (don't mind long ball times), I took the plunge. I'm so glad I did. The music, the callouts, lighting, gameplay variety, full assets from the movie, etc make this game amazing.

With that being said, is it as great for people who don't care for the movies? I think it is still the least liked of the JJPs by most players.

#9958 3 years ago

I also wonder how many people only tried the game on early code. That might make a difference in their opinions on the game.

#9959 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I ordered the mod. How does it make it more mode focused? I’m still learning all the rules. Is it going to help me get to TABA?

Two things it does for me (besides using the third flipper more):
-help complete pop bumper objectives.
-get shots at the lit dwarf target after pops more consistently.

#9981 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I'll tell you exactly why a lot of people hate it... They don't know how to set up a pinball machine to save their life!

And I suspect operators set them up too flat on location, making the game "floaty" for those who tried it on location.

#9990 3 years ago

My fellow adventurers, does anyone have the Smaug mouth adjustment numbers we should use in order to not burn out that servo motor? I think I remember seing someone post the adjustment numbers for open and close, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Since I bought mine used, I can't tell if it was ever done. That is the reason why I would like to compare against someone's numbers who has made the adjustment.

TIA

#9993 3 years ago

Thank you, both! What are the default values? Just wondering if previous owner already made the adjustment.

#10009 3 years ago

So they didn't want Smaug taking balls in its mouth?

#10037 3 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Ok will do...don't have one handy so I'll find a monitor!

Replacing cables has worked for me in thne past. Sometimes the factory ones are not the best. If you have another spare VGA cable laying around, I would replace it and see if that fixes the issue.

2 weeks later
#10107 3 years ago

If anyone is upgrading from the engraved plate mod to the new button mod, let me know. I'll take the angraved plate one off your hands.

2 weeks later
#10184 2 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Hey Hobbiteers, looking for some assistance.
Been having on and off issues with light boards in my game. Here's a gameplay example of what happens. The game will play normally for a while and then the lights will lock up and Smaug's mouth freezes. A reboot will bring everything back but after a bit of gameplay it will happen again:
So far I've done the following:
1. Sent BAG board in for repair from JJP, since that has been a common point of failure for issues like this. JJP determined it to not be repairable so I received a brand new one. Lights kept locking up.
2. Through troubleshooting (swapping boards around, testing new Ethernet cables, etc.), figured out that one of the three RGB LED Controller Boards went bad (Part # 15-0031-00).
3. Purchased a replacement and everything worked for a while, then eventually a second one went bad. Purchased a replacement and eventually the third went bad.
It seems like something in the game is killing these boards. Any tips on how to figure out what is doing it and how to remedy the issue?
Thanks!
[quoted image]

I know a few people already replied, but I will also share that my game did the same thing early on when I got it and replacing the bag board, resetting wires, etc. none of that worked. It started the same way as yours. Even with the play lights freezing up, Smaug's mouth not moving, etc. Eventually, I lost all lighting except for the GI and the spotlights. After days of back and forth, new bag board, phone call with JJP testing RGB boards sequentially, and many hours of pulling my hair out, it just ended up being a defective mini USB cable that goes from the board to the PCB.

I just happened to have one long enough that I used to charge my PS4 controllers. I just replaced the one in the game with that one and everything magically resolved itself: all lighting back, Smaug's mouth moving, etc. It's been about 8-9 months since and the issue never came back. I would recommend checking that easy solution first before going through the headache of troubleshooting everything else like I did.

3 weeks later
#10292 2 years ago

With so many modes to complete, this game is just begging for co-op play. I would take that over Scorbit, wi-fi, or bluetooth.

Do we need to do a Kickstarter to have Keith code that for us?

#10293 2 years ago

In all seriousness, JJP could charge for that type of update similar to video game DLC and I would buy it

#10296 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

I wish people would stop saying they would pay extra for code that should be included.

I don't think I would consider co-op play something that "should" be included. Definitely not something I would think operators really care about. Especially in a 5-year old game that JJP is no longer producing.

Which gets me thinking... I wonder what percentage of modern pinball machines actually offer co-op?

#10326 2 years ago

Does anyone have the post bookmarked that gave the instructions for the developer team easter egg intro? Can't find it on this thread.

#10343 2 years ago

Sagging wood happens with age. Or so I've been told.

1 month later
#10443 2 years ago

Sad day yesterday. My Smaug mouth stopped working last night. Also not working in test menu. Anyone have a good tutorial on how to replace that servo motor? How difficult is it?

#10446 2 years ago

Doesnt the manual have something on this?
I haven't checked...

I'll take a look at the manual tonight.

In everyone's experience, any other possible causes I should check before assuming it is the motor?

2 weeks later
#10472 2 years ago

Okay, so I checked on my Smaug mouth that stopped working and when I removed the glass and tried the adjustments, nothing happened. I tried the adjustment while attempting to push the mouth closed, but nothing happened there either. As a matter of fact, the jaw gives zero resistance. It's just like it it flopping there/completely loose.

Travahontas LTG New servo or rubberband fix?

3 weeks later
#10524 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

New Factory Find from JJP on PinballWizard.com. $40, not bad considering how much these get hit. Ordered a set as never plan to sell the game lol.
[quoted image]

Thanks for the heads up! I ordered one set and seriously considering a second one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GTO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=GTO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.