IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (8 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FlippyD.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2320 7 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Thought the same when we first fired ours up this week. Noticing it less now that we know it is what it is...

They add to the excitement!

I'm wondering if anyone has tried putting sound deadening foam inside the cabinet to see how it would affect the noise?

#2321 7 years ago

So my Goblin pop-up just stopped working. Worked fine last game, about 30 mins later played another and it won't raise up.

Entered the pop-up tests and it will attempt to lift but seems either stuck or not getting enough power. After a few tries it reports back that the mech is broken.

Examined the mech underneath and didn't see any loose wires or anything that looked wrong.

The ball-stuck preventers are installed on these.

Any ideas where to start? I'm going back to examine closely to see if anything is out of allignment causing the mech to get stuck.

Thanks for any help!

#2324 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Be sure nothing is binding it - push up and down by hand.
Then the locknut at the bottom of the mech - loosen it and turn the rubber stopper above it up a few turns, tighten and retry.
LTG : )

Thanks for the quick reply LTG! I pulled the mech up from the top and it seemed to clear whatever it was hanging on. Goblins are back on the menu!

#2326 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

It's hard to see but check really closely that the mech hasn't pinched through the wires against the ball stuck preventers. It happened to me and others.

Yeah I had read about those problems and gave each mech a good looking over when I unboxed the machine. I moved one of the connectors that looked like it might get in the way. So much going underneath this game!

#2353 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

That is correct. Smaug is not a "limited" number run, it's just a "special" edition. They aren't limited to 500 units so they don't number them.

My Smaug says #51 on the shipping box and on the apron. Limited or not, they are indeed numbered.

2 weeks later
#2498 7 years ago

So this just happened. Was in Smaug multi ball and after a while all but one of the balls had disappeared. I couldn't find them though. Hit the final ball on the left loop and it disappears too!

After about five ball searches and some nudging they set themselves free!

IMG_0513 (resized).JPGIMG_0513 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#2592 7 years ago

Quick question about the Coil Settings:

The kickers are adjustable but I don't understand the relationship between the setting and its effect. What are you adjusting when you increase or decrease the milliseconds for each kicker?? How long it holds the kick?? The delay before it kicks?? Which setting makes them stronger or more lively?

Thanks!

#2597 7 years ago

Love the lit gold buttons, might have to steal that

#2628 7 years ago

I'm noticing some random behavior with my Orc pop-up. After a random period of playing the coil that lowers the pop up will fire every two or three seconds. It will continue even when the game is in attract mode. I'm guessing the game thinks the target is up so it's trying to lower it. I inspected the switch that detects when the pop-up is down and reseated the connector to it. Did not notice anything that looked awry.

It's not a major problem... yet... any ideas for further debugging and bullet-proofing?

#2630 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

It relies on gravity to drop but there is an up switch to tell it when it's up. I'd check to see if your up switch is staying closed even when it's down

Thanks, will investigate!

#2635 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Something that I don't understand yet ... Sometimes some of the "Lock" roll-overs turn red after I have the 3rd lock waiting. Sometimes the red ones turn green when I roll over them, sometimes the green ones turn red (I think), but not all the time. What am I qualifying with that and should I be trying for the red or green roll-overs?

I think the Smaug locks get harder as the game goes on so it could be that. Also I've noticed it turn red when I've locked more than 1 or 2 balls in the secret lock. Spell the red lock to get 3rd and 4th secret lock.

2 weeks later
#2757 7 years ago

I used these LOTR side blades and for me they look great. The photos might not capture them perfectly but they look like they came from the factory. They are made by pinsider sillyoldelf

IMG_0616 (resized).JPGIMG_0616 (resized).JPG

IMG_0621 (resized).JPGIMG_0621 (resized).JPG

IMG_0619 (resized).JPGIMG_0619 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#2875 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Anyone hear anything about when the next code update will be officially released? The last official release was over 3 months ago and the last news from Keith about a code update on Thanksgiving.
Hope we get another update soon. I wonder if JJP is just waiting until an upcoming show to release code?

I have no idea but I'm definitely itching for some new code. The current code contains all the promised features of the game but it could definitely use a lot of tweaks and polish.

And hopefully someday we get an ultimate wizard mode too.

#2891 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Thanks Lloyd!

Appears 1.91 enables the topper power plug too, cant find much on that release. As best i can tell, 1.90.does not.

Which connector is for the topper? Is it the one with two blue wires?

1 month later
#3053 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I can loop the orbit several times in a row sometimes, and then never be able to make it for days at a time.

Such a satisfying feeling when you combo 2 or more orbits!

3 weeks later
#3177 7 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I still get sound static and volume changes during call outs even with ground loop isolator. Is this normal?

I think the erratic volume changes are a code problem that's still waiting to be fixed.

Ground loop fix only gets rid of the constant buzzing/humming.

#3182 7 years ago

You should be able to make both ramps from both flippers when the game is adjusted properly. A cradled ball should just barely make a backhanded shot up a ramp. If it's too strong than the shots can be a bit too easy and the ball can fly and jump off the ramps more.

Each machine and floor is going to be a bit different but I have mine at 7 degrees incline and 26 flipper settings.

1 week later
#3243 6 years ago

I got my TH a month before I got my WOZ, have had both games almost 6 months now. I checked the audits on both last night and WOZ has 100 more games on it. Between myself, friends, and family, it appears WOZ is winning the popularity contest. Both are amazing games and both are very different.

#3258 6 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Does anyone have advice on taking the backGLASS off? Mine seems either too tight or it's stuck to something and I am afraid to force it with the monitor and all potentially saratching or doing some other damage.
Do they bind up in a certain area? Thanks...been putting off installing a diffuser for the LED strip because I can't get the thing open!

It's just very snug, gotta go slow but firm.

Also, it's highly likely at some point you'll put some tiny scratches in the glass. They won't be noticed while playing but you'll see them when you clean and inspect the glass. Don't get too upset over it, life's too short!

1 week later
#3339 6 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

There is more to come. WOZ got way better as the code progressed...

What worries me is that JJP has multiple games to deal with now and I wonder if they will actually spend the time to make the code perfect on all their current and upcoming games. WOZ was their only game for a long time and it had to succeed so they poured a ton of time into it.

I never played WOZ until 6.xx so I don't know how much it grew, but Hobbit at 1.90 definitely feels like adolescent code. As in it needs to grow a few more pubes before it's a man.

1 week later
#3386 6 years ago

Regarding the latest beta does anyone else have issues with the windlance shot? I get a weak shot that doesn't even leave the kickback lane no matter what strength I push the button at.

For regular kickbacks everything is fine.

#3394 6 years ago

Added an external sub woofer yesterday and boy does it make this game come alive. Smaug's voice rumbles the walls, mode lock feels like you're opening up a mountainside, it's amazing!

1 month later
#3615 6 years ago

Finally got the barrel lamp mods all installed. They look awesome!

IMG_1218 (resized).JPGIMG_1218 (resized).JPG

IMG_1220 (resized).JPGIMG_1220 (resized).JPG

IMG_1219 (resized).JPGIMG_1219 (resized).JPG

IMG_1221 (resized).JPGIMG_1221 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#3620 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

They do look nice - I may get those as well. Can you take a quick pick holding the original spotlight next the barrel for scale? I am worried that if it is too large it would block too much of the playfield.

Sorry already reused the spots in another game! But they don't block much more than the original spots did. Maybe a tiny percent more but not enough to feel like they are obscuring things.

#3629 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Question: How do I "earn" the Golumn ring save?
What does the target on the lower right outline do?
Thanks guys, I've had a few theories, but still don't quite get what's happening.

Ring save is a mystery award. The lower right outlane target adds a ball during multiball modes.

#3658 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

These are nice!!!! Where are they from? Is it a sticker/decal?

Those look like the ones from Tilt Graphics.

6 months later
#4236 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I like 2.01 better. It has the old attract lights.

I am so happy they brought those back. Experimentation is cool and accepting that not everyone liked it is even cooler!

#4250 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

If I play any game for 30 minutes, I never feel like pushing the start button again, it's not just the hobbit. To me playing 10 games of IM or XM for 30 mins or 1 game of th for 30 mins is the same thing. 30 mins + of lotr and tspp leave me with the same feeling.

I took both outlane posts and the center post completely out of my game. Combined with making the software harder the ball times are now usually less than a minute. Nobody has beaten the Jersey Jack 500k factory GC score in over three months and about 1000+ plays.

It's absolutely addicting to play now. Always leaves you wanting more. Never feels like a boring game since your chances of survival are so low; as the should be against a dragon!

#4263 6 years ago

My Smaug has stopped moving his mouth. Is there a reply to this thread detailing how to trouble shoot it? Thanks!

1 month later
#4422 6 years ago

More code updates are always welcome but the game is still really great if you take the time to set it up to your liking. Personally I removed the outlane posts and made the software tougher and the game has become a thrilling challenge and not a lengthy chore.

2 months later
#4779 5 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

More
Check the pitch of the game and make sure it's 7° or more. Pull your outlane and center posts and remove the ball saver. Should be harder then!

Becomes a proper ass kicker when setup like this! It also helps to plug up the holes where the left outlane post was because it can turn into a ball trap.

#4784 5 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

I've had that too. What do you use to plug the holes?

I put three layers of cell phone screen protector (the thin kind) over all three holes. One layer wasn’t thick enough and balls would still tee up. My game came with a black plug for the center post and I was going to buy more of those but I like the transparent look it has right now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FlippyD.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=FlippyD and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.