IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr-pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7453 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

Hi guys, new owner of Hobbit here, purchased from the original owner (an arcade) that had operated it since January. Machine was made in August 2018, and I'm running the newest software, 3.10.
I've been having an issue with LED's 'freezing' after the pin has been on for an extended period of time (a couple hours or so). This can happen during gameplay or attract mode, the lights will just quit changing colors and will stay on whatever color happened to be lit up at the time of the issue. The game continues to otherwise function fine, with sounds/animations/scoring all working, it's purely an LED issue (but does make the game essentially unplayable). Game returns to normal after being reset.
I've searched and seen some other people with the same issue but haven't seen a solution. Any ideas? I PM'ed LTG but he had no suggestions. As this is my first 'nice' game it's been a little disheartening how many issues have come up (I've had the glass out almost every day since I purchased it 10 days ago), but I can at least wrap my head around the other problems, I'm at a loss on this one.
Thanks for any help.

The cable from the board to the screen is hdmi right?
If so, i would connect another monitor and see if the problem persists, if it does it´s probebly something with the graph card, maybe fan error?

I´m sorry, i dont have the game, but there is where i would start if it were a computer.

#7460 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

@dr-pin The issue is with the playfield lights/LED's, not the LCD screen. The motherboard outputs to the light/LED board with a USB to Micro USB cable, which I have tried replacing already.

Sorry i misinterpreted. Are all leds acting up or just a section of them?

From my experience fiddling a lot with Digital leds, they usually start acting up locking and such when the drive currency is going to low.
If i were you i would connect a voltmeter to the circuits affected and check if the voltage drops over time when things get hot etc.

Just a suggestion, as i said i dont own the game, so i might be totally out there...

1 month later
#7631 4 years ago
Quoted from gordonshumway:

Thanks for the great video and link! I checked out both switches and they both are adjusted well and I dragged some emery through both. They were clean. (This machine is only 8 months old NIB). I then checked them both with a multi-meter and they both make/break correct at full swing. I was tempted to try and read voltage on the three posts connected to each, but was afraid I might short something out... I suspect that because both SW's are doing the same that we might be into a relay issue? Where should I go from here?
Thanks

A voltmeter cant short stuff out, it has almost infinite impedance.

1 month later
#7795 4 years ago
Quoted from Ponzie:

I’ve posted on here before (#7443) but after I thought I had it fixed it seems as though the Goblin mech on my game continues to struggle to pop up on the play field... after taking it apart, it seems that it is not the mechanism, but for some reason it is getting stuck on the playfield itself as it is trying to move up.... I take the glass off, bend it back into place and it seems to work for a few games. But after the balls hit the mech a few times it seems to bend it back and then won’t raise...
Short of me having to manually bend and adjust it every time, are there any other suggestions here?
Thanks!

Maybe it´s missaligned from underneath?
That would make the mech come up abit from straight up and chink to the side?
Adjust with really thin washers, where the mech is attached to the underside of the pf?

1 month later
#8028 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

Hobbit for sure. Even though it has driven me crazy at times due to various issues (like right now Smaug's mouth doesn't work and I'm too scared to try and fix it), it's a blast to play. Once you really get it going, and get the mini wizard modes like"Into the Fire", you'll laugh at comparing it to Deadpool. . The sound and theme integration is awesome, and the deep ruleset will keep you coming back over and over. You can attack it differently everytime you play. I like how LOTR and Hobbit look next to each other too. [quoted image]

Amazing. Spectacular.
Hats off.

9 months later
#9313 3 years ago

Just got a hobbit as a rental in home. Love it, but would like a clearer view of the rules. Google it, and there seem to be no flow-chart or such for the rules post ver 3.0
Will the earlier links to rules etc suffice?

I´ve rented stern jp, dialed in, stranger things, and sofar hobbit seems truuly awesome in comparision.

#9316 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So let's look at the monitor. The middle has all these hexagons with pics in them. Those are the 31 modes. As you qualify them (look at the top of the monitor, that shows you what to do to unlock those modes to play), you can play them and get a piece of arkenstone. You will see these little diamond shapes that need to fill the areas around the playfield. Completing a mode fills that little shape on the top.
The bottom left you will see the beast locks. It took me a few plays to understand this. When you roll over the lit up inlanes, you will see they correspond with one of the beast (goblin, spider, warg, orc). When you roll it over as it is lit, the corresponding beast pops out of the playfield. You must bash them as they are out to lock in that beast. You will know on the playfield that it has been done, as a gold triangle like shape will stay lit. Light them all to do beast multiball, and that will get you an arkenstone mode.
Top left is LOCK. This basically keeps track of you locking the balls by rolling over L O C K, then locking the ball for smaug multiball. Start that multi ball to get an arkenstone. The top right is a map to your destination. Spinner hits makes the map progress. Simple. Finish it, get a piece of arkenstone.
Lastly, the bottom right are all the dwarves. Collect them all to start feast frenzy, and an arkenstone piece. You can see where their pictures are all around the playfield.
Do all of that. Boom. Mini wizard mode. The harder the mode you complete, the more that mode pays out. Sure, you can do a one star mode and beat it in one shot... good luck scoring points in the mini wizard mode.
And.... that's honestly the majority of the game. Keep doing that to keep advancing through the trilogy of movies. There's more to learn, but that's like 85% of it! This game's monitor tells you almost everything you need at all times. It's why I find it hard to go back to DMD games. They did a fantastic job showing you everything going on in the game in this one screen.

Thanks alot. Super.

#9318 3 years ago

So.....
Hobbit is my fourth rental. (three months each) i've had it for five days.
The first three were jp(stern), dialed-in, and stranger things.
Sofar hobbit has easily been the most fun.
I've played twenty games or so and there seem to be a lot to do and explore.
Managed into the fire twice, best wizard mode experience, i've ever had. So cool and the music at the last stages fit perfectly.

Really icing on the cake that smaug the mighty went down tonight and thus from now on i have the title of dragonslayer.

Yay!

What a game

1 week later
#9339 3 years ago

Having so much fun, but now the F in DWARF has gone crazy jumping up and down like crazy. I´ve done the testing and while the other targets pop up, so does F, but this one goes right back down again. I´m guessing it´s sensor for getting hit, but would it go down then in test mode?
Is it only thoose four star screws holding up the entire target bank?

Suggestions?
I want to play, but dont fancy getting deaf over the jackhammer f.
Does that rime?

#9345 3 years ago

Before my "F" went crazy. Four wiz modes and one dead dragon. Fun as heck.

Resized_20201026_214747[1] (resized).jpegResized_20201026_214747[1] (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#9450 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I joined the club today with Black Arrow #224![quoted image]

A wise decision.
Hobbit is spectacular.

1 month later
#9625 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

My Orc head is a wobbler too. They aren't that expensive - $45.99.

I just ordered a worg head. 70$ here. I'd be honestly surprised if it cost more then a dollar to make.
It's the kind of thing the kids wouldnt even open if it came with a happy meal or kinder egg.
Outrageous.

#9626 3 years ago
Quoted from Skipnatty:

Hi folks, hoping someone has experienced this problem and has a fix or some troubleshooting tips. Both of the beast mechs towards the back of the game make an attempt, come up half way, go back down, fire again, and raise up the whole way and stay up via the hold. The two beasts closer to the flippers do not have this issue. They're both also pretty squeaky
I've made sure there are no wires in the way and they've got freedom of movement, and checked the alignment. Any other thoughts or have folks had this before and come across a fix?
Thanks!

If every thing is running free, check the coils. Also make sure one of the screws from the beasts hasnt dropped of hindering the mech.

#9631 3 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

The switch might be out of alignment(might need a little more gap on the beast switch) and it thinks it’s getting hit on the way up which causes it to go right back down...maybe.

Easy to check just playing. Can you go beasts and best multiball, that may be the case, else not.

#9632 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Maybe LIOR will be able to provide some nice replacements. I would love to get those beasts looking better, and more solid to be honest.

Hope someone will talk about easy money.

1 month later
#9807 3 years ago

Love hate relationship.
Now it's mostly hate.
The worg head broke and i had to order this small bit of plastic for 80$. Insanely, rediculous overpriced.

While waiting im trying to play with it disabled, which means reaching beast is five times harder, since the right spinner is now acting as worg and since it's the outer inlane for worg means the ball you have to hit the spinner with is traveling really fast.
Btw if you like hard-mode, try completing into the fire with the spinner as worg. Also notice the spinner is often blocked from the right upper flipper since it's a multiball.
Grrrrr

Couldnt they have the right ramp as for when the orch is disabled?

#9809 3 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Ordered both as well and had my best game ever. All 3 mini wizard and Smaug defeated. I had 28 modes played...so close!!
[quoted image][quoted image]

You made it thru all three wm?
Darned impressive. I've had four wm one game, but only into the fire were completed.

Only i who considered taking a break after a really good long ball?
I often feel i lack focus and feel drained after a ball.
Btw i'm talking about pinball....

#9810 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

My Warg face broke off recently and I was able to fairly successfully glue it back on with E6000. I have the new spare in the coin box still for when/if my repair eventually fails..

Probably a good idea, but when my orch broke, i disabled it and gameplay worked just fine, so it wasnt in my mindset.

5 months later
#10551 2 years ago

I have now had this game as a loaner for almost a year. It´s by far the best game for me.
Played it Alot Going thru the three wizard modes and have probably killed smaug 15 times or so.

I have a couple of code suggestions.....
More wizard modes. Well it really doesnt sit that well, since the playfield is designed around thoose three allready in the game, but it took me a week or so doing thoose three and for longivity reason it would be nice having more.

I would like to see cutscenes when completing modes. I feel the whole mode system isn´t what it could be and now really only acts to get the upper stone for advancing to wizard modes.

Make modes mini-wizard modes that completes hitting right or left hole, wich will give time for a cool completion cutscene on the screen, similar to when you lock balls for smaug mb.

There are other things/details that are deserving attention like for newer players having beast block lit objects, only explained on the little screen makes for frustration and this should be explained via call outs or lighting thoose targets to lower the beasts.

Another thing is that when you play a really long game the playfield gets more and more empty and i sometimes feel there is nothing to do, having to trap up and look closely on what if anything is available for progress....

All in all a really neat game with a wonky layout, but still the game is a great effort imo.

#10556 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I joined the club last month and am really enjoying the game. I haven’t read any rules yet,but am aware of certain objectives.
Can someone recommend a simplified approach to the game? Arm me with a few key objectives that I can use now before I dive deep into the rules and start really strategizing?
And what does it mean when shots (including the rollovers) turn red?

You have five boxes on the screen. Each box can be completed, giving you a stone in the side of the box.

They are beast. When you hit all the four beasts and played beast mb. You fet that stone.

Smaug. Spell lock on the push targets in the middle pf.
When you spelled lock go up right ramp to smaug it locks balls and when done three times, you get smaug mb and second stone.

Spell elf, man and dwarf and complete a mode. Modes are started going right ramp, when smaug lock isnt completed. The mode need to be completed. There are lots of different mode and you open them up by shooting targets on pf. You can change wich mode is up via the left ramp. Mode have big difficulty difference, the harder the mode completed, the more points during wizard mode. When mode completed stone three is yours.

Reaching erebor. This is completed via doing the spinners, doing spinners also have other advantages such as an extra ball whilst starting modes for example.
When enough spinners->reaching erebor and you get your fourth stone.

Gathering the whole mission crew. All over the playfield there are shots for the different crewmenbers. Get them all, and you have stone five.

When you get all five stones, hit one of the two holes and enjoy the best wizard modes in pinball.
1. Into the fire
2. Barrelescape
3. Battle of the five armies.

There are lots others to do, walk the modes, killing smaug etc, but start with the above and have lots of fun.

1 year later
#11819 1 year ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

I’m considering getting a Hobbit and have a few questions for owners of the machine. I apologize if any of these have been asked before.
1. Is there anything to look for when buying the game that could eventually go bad (WOZ light boards)?
2. Does it bother anyone that the callouts are done by an impersonator?
3. What exactly is the upper flipper for? From my eyes it doesn’t look like there is a specific shot useful from the upper flipper.
4. Are there any differences between models other than art and powdercoat color (besides black captive ball)?
Thanks!

1. For me the ledge on the target ramp has broken. Fairly easy fix. The pop up monsters break. Easy fix but redicoulus overpriced.
2. The callouts are simply the best there are in pinball. The best.
3. It's used for the upper target ramp during modes and killing smaug.
If you want more use for it, get the baggends mod. Then you can also avoid the pesky sdtm pop returns.
4. Not really.

This is the game that has lasted the longest in my home.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 25.50
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr-pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=Dr-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.