20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 260.
#4901 5 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

The status report screen is fucking awesome. Should definitely help newer players understand the feeder modes better and it's nice go to see how far you got in modes once the madness dies down and you can trap up.

I’d like to think I understand this game very well, but I’ve never understood the “feeder” concept at all....and I’m not sure I understand these screens either. What do the letters under Qualifier mean? B? BD? DEG? WTF, I say.

#4902 5 years ago

Qualifiers are the shots, B-Bilbo, BD, Bilbo and Dwarf, DEG, Dwarf Elf Gandalf

#4903 5 years ago

I cannot wait for this update!!! My family and I LOVE our hobbit and everything I am reading here about the new code just sweetens the pot. It’s almost like getting a new game a year later!!! Thanks to JJP and the team for this level of commitment and support to their games.

#4904 5 years ago

I approve this thread!! Thanks Jack and team!!

#4905 5 years ago

If you start modes and then do a mode that's touching it on the right side you get bonus points based on how well you did in the previous mode. It can become pretty lucrative if you can start racking up your points. Some modes need multiple qualifiers to become unlocked

#4906 5 years ago

Leved - check, waxed - check, popups tweeked - check, usb in computer - check, now I just need the CODE!!! Let's go time hurry on up

#4907 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I’d like to think I understand this game very well, but I’ve never understood the “feeder” concept at all....and I’m not sure I understand these screens either. What do the letters under Qualifier mean? B? BD? DEG? WTF, I say.

Qualifiers are the races needed to allow the mode to be selected/started. M=Man, E=Elf, D=Dwarf, B=Bilbo, G=Gandalf, and R=Radagast. Some modes require one race, some require multiple.

#4908 5 years ago

All,
I am considering purchasing this title and would appreciate your input to see if it might be a good fit. I live in a rural area so haven’t had a chance to play it. Just been watching videos and tutorials.
1. Love the theme as do my teenage sons.
2. We all have basic playing skills.... AFMr high score of 7.5 bill.
3. Not interested in an hour long game and probably don’t have the brainpower to embrace all of the rule set anyway. We are somewhat of a casual player type.
So, do you think The Hobbit is even a close fit?
Thanks!

#4909 5 years ago

First don't ask me I love the game but I checked audits about 1300 games played. Average game time 4 minutes 24 seconds. Some games when they go longer are awesome. I have a short ball save 3 seconds but have extra balls based on scoring.

#4910 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

That is not "basic!" That is advanced! : )

Having said that, take out the outlane posts, the center drain post, and set it up steep and I don't think you will have an "hour long" issue. Still you should find a place to play it and see for yourself if you like it. It is a slightly slower game where you make you need to make your shots. AFM has an obvious easy bash toy to hit.

#4911 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

All,
I am considering purchasing this title and would appreciate your input to see if it might be a good fit. I live in a rural area so haven’t had a chance to play it. Just been watching videos and tutorials.
3. Not interested in an hour long game and probably don’t have the brainpower to embrace all of the rule set anyway. We are somewhat of a casual player type.
Thanks!

Yes
Yes
Yes if setup harder.

But what have you got against long games? The point of Hobbit is not to end the game asap, but to explore and savor it. The longer you go, the more you see. I've gotten to the missing wizard mode a few times on 3 balls, but more often on 5. A couple of long games and I find myself a little sweaty. Hobbit is the ONLY game I've played that makes you work for your fun. Which is rewarding after a day of battling beasts. Also recommend playing the game with headphones for even more pleasure. My best 5 ball score of 4.5M was achieved recently and my guess is scores will rise after the code update because of fixes/ enhancements.

#4912 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Yes
.Also recommend playing the game with headphones

Im using a fiio headphone amp and its incredible on all my games.
Pinnovators headphone adapters go into all of my games.

Headphones is the way to go these days to hear all of the sound.

Kudos to JJP for having the foresight of adding headphone jacks with volume control to all of their games.

What a great pinball company!

In my opinion they are the best in the world right now. They set the bar high, now it's for the other companies to step up and at least meet the new standard!

#4913 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

All,
Thanks!

I like the game, don't love it (yet). Hoping the new code changes that. In any case, this game is packed with rules, which I think is a good thing if you have a few fast paced simple rule games in your collection. So at least be aware of that.

#4914 5 years ago

One of my favorites and a keeper for me. Theme integration is top notch, art is beautiful, music and callouts are extremely well done. It has that Bally solid state feel with Keith Johnson's deep rules to keep you coming back. Lots of shots to master (2 orbits, 3 sets of drops, 2 ramps, 2 gobble holes, captive ball, pops, 5 stand ups). Solid quality and support with more code coming. It checks all the boxes for me.

#4915 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

All,
Thanks!

#3 is why you shouldn't buy this pin. If you are half decent you'll have plenty of hour long games. I bought NIB and yes the first 3-4 months I loved it, then I grew VERY tired of constant pop ups and multi balls. There is very little to shoot and despite it being a gorgeous pin, its just not that much fun. I got blasted for stating my opinion in another thread, which is pitiful, but all you have to do is look at what these are selling for used to tell you the perceived value. Owners who have it will talk it up, but talk to people who bought it and moved on from it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

#4916 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

#3 is why you shouldn't buy this pin. If you are half decent you'll have plenty of hour long games. I bought NIB and yes the first 3-4 months I loved it, then I grew VERY tired of constant pop ups and multi balls. There is very little to shoot and despite it being a gorgeous pin, its just not that much fun. I got blasted for stating my opinion in another thread, which is pitiful, but all you have to do is look at what these are selling for used to tell you the perceived value. Owners who have it will talk it up, but talk to people who bought it and moved on from it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

This is an owners only thread. You got blasted in the other threads (then ejected) as you were trolling and being insulting. Now you are doing it again here. Please leave.

#4917 5 years ago

I am an average player. Been to the five armies a few times. Defeated Smaug about 10 times. Completed Into the fire, but none of the other mini wizard modes. I've owned it for over a year and have never had a single hour long game. Maybe 40 minutes has been the longest...but it didn't feel long...it was epic. And there is a difference between the two. I've never played a game that gave me the same feel as watching the films. There are slow spots, modes that make you stop and think. Then there are chaotic multiballs that feel like a battle is raging on the playfield. The music, clips, callouts, and lights are phenomenal. Yes, I'm an owner, but this is an owners thread. I'm not ashamed to say that I love this game and it will be the last in my collection to go. Bring on the new code!

#4918 5 years ago

Budman This game isn't for everyone, just like every other game isn't for everyone. I HATED this game, playing it at shows. My son wanted one, bought him one. Got it set up at home, made it steep and gave it a good cleaning and waxing. Completely changed the pace of the game from slow and floaty to fast and fun. Actually being able to hear the audio and the ability to get a real understanding for how the game is supposed to be played, was HUGE in my case. My family and pretty much anyone who comes to play, falls in love with this game in every aspect.

#4919 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Im using a fiio headphone amp and its incredible on all my games.
Pinnovators headphone adapters go into all of my games.
Headphones is the way to go these days to hear all of the sound.
Kudos to JJP for having the foresight of adding headphone jacks with volume control to all of their games.
What a great pinball company!
In my opinion they are the best in the world right now. They set the bar high, now it's for the other companies to step up and at least meet the new standard!

And in layman terms it can do this ...

Play sound thru game speakers - check
Play sound thru headphone jack - check
Play sound thru game speakers & headphone jack simultaneously - check
Control volume independently while listening simultaneously - check mate, bitches!

#4920 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

No, you got modded and kicked out of the other thread for trolling so you came here to troll. Uncool.

#4921 5 years ago

I owned this game so I’m entitled to my opinion am I not? He asked if this was a good match and stated several things he was focusing on. Long ball times are a fact with his game. Would you rather lie to him than be honest!?! Current Hobbit owners act like I’m attacking you personally because I think it’s not a great pin? Stating my honest opinion is not trolling. I played the game everyday almost for 3 months...then it got super old. I’m happy the new code is out. Hopefully that helps it. everything I started here is true, and opinions are what the OP asked for. I’m sorry some of you don’t agree with my opinion, but that doesn’t make it any less valid.

#4922 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Long ball times are a fact with his game.

That’s just a statement with no context. Any game can be set up to play long or quick, even Hobbit. If a game like Tron let you play for 45 min, it wouldn’t work due to the limits of its content. With a game like Hobbit (and LOTR, TSPP) - long games aren’t necessarily a detriment because the game has the amount of content to support it. Now - perhaps you only like quickie quick games, and that’s fine ...but “long ball times” as a complaint is meaningless without context. Some people really love a game with a cinematic journey. Very few games can do that well. LOTR does, but nothing with modern A/V has done it like Hobbit. May not be “for you”, and that’s fine - but the people who claim it’s objectively bad ...there’s not much to support those claims.

#4923 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I owned this game so I’m entitled to my opinion am I not? He asked if this was a good match and stated several things he was focusing on. Long ball times are a fact with his game. Would you rather lie to him than be honest!?! Current Hobbit owners act like I’m attacking you personally because I think it’s not a great pin? Stating my honest opinion is not trolling. I played the game everyday almost for 3 months...then it got super old. I’m happy the new code is out. Hopefully that helps it. everything I started here is true, and opinions are what the OP asked for. I’m sorry some of you don’t agree with my opinion, but that doesn’t make it any less valid.

We get it, you think hobbit sucks. Can you please stop coming in hobbit threads and keep pissing on a game we enjoy and defending it by saying you have the right?

#4924 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That’s just a statement with no context. Any game can be set up to play long or quick, even Hobbit. If a game like Tron let you play for 45 min, it wouldn’t work due to the limits of its content. With a game like Hobbit (and LOTR, TSPP) - long games aren’t necessarily a detriment because the game has the amount of content to support it. Now - perhaps you only like quickie quick games, and that’s fine ...but “long ball times” as a complaint is meaningless without context. Some people really love a game with a cinematic journey. Very few games can do that well. LOTR does, but nothing with modern A/V has done it like Hobbit. May not be “for you”, and that’s fine - but the people who claim it’s objectively bad ...there’s not much to support those claims.

Okay, I setup my pin with standard settings (which a lot of people do) and I had my pitch to make the game as fast as possible. I'm a better than average pinball player that had hour long games ALL the time. I killed Smaug more games than I didn't, doing it several times a game on a regular basis. So I setup the pin to play fast and didn't make it "easy" with any settings. Does that help the context? And you are right, some people love quick games, some want long games. Budman stated he does NOT like long games, so I posted my experience with the pin because that's what he was asking. So sorry it upset so many of you current owners, but your need to attack me and down vote me is ridiculous. Budman good luck with whatever you decide. I'd definitely buy used so you can save significant money vs NIB.

#4925 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Okay, I setup my pin with standard settings (which a lot of people do) and I had my pitch to make the game as fast as possible. I'm a better than average pinball player that had hour long games ALL the time. I killed Smaug more games than I didn't, doing it several times a game on a regular basis. So I setup the pin to play fast and didn't make it "easy" with any settings. Does that help the context? And you are right, some people love quick games, some want long games. Budman stated he does NOT like long games, so I posted my experience with the pin because that's what he was asking. So sorry it upset so many of you current owners, but your need to attack me and down vote me is ridiculous. Budman good luck with whatever you decide. I'd definitely buy used so you can save significant money vs NIB.

You’re still here?

#4926 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

You’re still here?

'Merica. you damn right I'm here. Free country and all.

#4927 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

'Merica. you damn right I'm here. Free country and all.

Alrighty, keep flaming then. Free country and all, even though this is really an international hobby and we have great pinsiders from all over the world.

#4928 5 years ago

Who's excited for tomorrow?

IMG_2434 (resized).JPGIMG_2434 (resized).JPG
#4929 5 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

This guy!

#4930 5 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Just took apart my ramps and installed new ramp flaps, the others were curling. I couldn't be more prepared!

#4931 5 years ago

Beer chillin in the fridge and already started drinking. Kush is ready to go and currently being vaporized. Cleared Fri afternoon thru Sunday night on calendar. Bills are paid and internet is surging. Just need Hobbit 3.0 code now. If anyone can supply a link to 2.9_PR, I'd happily give her a few turns around the driveway.

#4932 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

All,
Thanks!

If you have basic playing skills and are casual players, long game times shouldn’t be a concern for you. Like others have stated, 5 minutes would be the average for casual players.

A lot of the negative opinions (and the temporarily lower prices) are based on facets of the rule set that a casual player will never experience (ie the final wizard mode). However - those concerns are being addressed in the upcoming patch this weekend.

For the casual player, there are *31* modes to play - all with different videos/sounds/call outs, multiple multi-balls modes, etc. - ie Plenty of content to keep you enjoying the game for a long time.

It’s a fantastic time to pick up a used game as prices will start increasing again after the patch this weekend.

#4933 5 years ago

If anyone can supply a link to 2.9_PR,

That one won't be shared. They want to be sure no bugs are in it. Not too many testing it either.

LTG : )

#4934 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That one won't be shared. They want to be sure no bugs are in it. Not too many testing it either.

Thanks and that got me thinking...All new code has bugs, but if JJP says they will squash bugs before 3.0 release, that is setting a high bar. Challenge accepted I'll be playing 3.0 when released and will see how good those guys are.

#4935 5 years ago

but if JJP says they will squash bugs

Major ones.

Always a chance an insignificant tiny one doesn't show up until the Pinside players get on it. And if there are any, they'll get fixed.

#4936 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Major ones.
Always a chance an insignificant tiny one doesn't show up until the Pinside players get on it. And if there are any, they'll get fixed.

I have an early release game v1 to f the lights you need another tester on the original game send me the link I will sign a NDA

#4937 5 years ago

So I’m getting most of the rules down, but still don’t know about the Super X
What do I shoot at when super x is flashing. How do I make it flash?

Thanks in advance.

And count me in for excited for tomorrow.

#4938 5 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

I have an early release game v1 to f the lights you need another tester on the original game send me the link I will sign a NDA

I'd have no say in that. You'd have to contact them in NJ.

#4939 5 years ago

Kush is ready to go and currently being vaporized.

Ah those were the days.

Quoted from Damonator:

multiple multi-balls modes, .

How many multiballs does it have.

#4940 5 years ago

Gave my game a once over and replaced the beast springs according to Phil at Pinball Heaven's video below. Bit fiddly but worth it if it extends the life of those mechs.

Also noticed that two of my washers installed to stop beast wired getting sliced had come out. Might be an idea for folks to check these if you have them installed, before we start battering our games with the new code. "Come on... not long now Hobbitses!"

#4941 5 years ago

Will Keith be doing cartwheels when it drops I will be for him (even if its assisted)

#4942 5 years ago

come on 4:00pm!

#4943 5 years ago

Question about the twitch stream. Can I watch at 5pm EST, not live? Not sure how it works...

#4944 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Question about the twitch stream. Can I watch at 5pm EST, not live? Not sure how it works...

You should be able to watch the recorded episode later on their YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-wyrXBG6hubXIzT4uaYtqw

JJP apparently doesn't archive videos on their Twitch channel.

#4945 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

It’s a fantastic time to pick up a used game as prices will start increasing again after the patch this weekend.

Is the game officially out of production? That is often the main item to consider for the used market, more so than code (though they both play a role).

#4946 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Is the game officially out of production? That is often the main item to consider for the used market, more so than code (though they both play a role).

Not exactly the answer to your question, but There is still supply in-house at distributors of the Black Astrow edition, and st least one or two have the Smaug version still in stock.

#4947 5 years ago

Anyone have link to the beta download?

#4948 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

My understanding is that JJP is still making (or planning to make more Hobbits). Jack said they will have all 3 (well 4 counting pirates) of their games on the line this fall.

#4949 5 years ago

As someone earlier mentioned, check the washers you added to the beasts to avoid wires being crimped. One of mine was bent and it was very close to pinching the wires. Replaced the washer and ready to go for the new release.

#4950 5 years ago
Quoted from focusmediagroup:

Anyone have link to the beta download?

No.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.