IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 98 of 260.
#4851 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's a hell of a lot of awesome and welcomed changes

Right? It's a huge build. Lots in this one.

#4852 5 years ago

Updated and added sound effects in a bunch of places

Wow just wow thanks! Can't wait

#4853 5 years ago

Lots of incredible stuff...

I wonder what this means exactly:
"Added award for playing all Book Modes for a given qualfier; award is
configurable for points (default) or spotting an Arkenstone task"

Is this related to qualifying a certain sequence of related modes? And are they going to make it less bewildering to know which modes are related to each other?

I could totally see playing this game two different ways. 1. Just go for modes and let the Arkenstone modes just happen as you progress through the modes or 2. Go for Akenstone tasks to get to Arkenstone modes.

This new release seems to make the modes so much more important instead of an after thought. I have high hopes for Friday!

#4854 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Lots of incredible stuff...
I wonder what this means exactly:
"Added award for playing all Book Modes for a given qualfier; award is
configurable for points (default) or spotting an Arkenstone task"
Is this related to qualifying a certain sequence of related modes? And are they going to make it less bewildering to know which modes are related to each other?
I could totally see playing this game two different ways. 1. Just go for modes and let the Arkenstone modes just happen as you progress through the modes or 2. Go for Akenstone tasks to get to Arkenstone modes.
This new release seems to make the modes so much more important instead of an after thought. I have high hopes for Friday!

This is something I've probably talked about for over a year nearly relentlessly, lol. Rewards for completing sets of modes. "Given qualifier" may be referring to man, elf, dwarf, Bilbo, Gandalf, etc modes.

It sounds like you can enable an option to allow playing all book modes for a given qualifier to award an Arkenstone attempt. This is huge from a playability standpoint as it allows you to change the way the game is played by not having to repeat all of the same tasks for each Arkenstone mode attempt.

It's awesome that the default award is points so in standard default play you still get a reward but you also have the option to grant an Arkenstone mode as an reward. Very cool!

Thank you JJP!

#4855 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak: It sounds like you can enable an option to allow playing all book modes for a given qualifier to award an Arkenstone attempt. This is huge from a playability standpoint as it allows you to change the way the game is played by not having to repeat all of the same tasks for each Arkenstone mode attempt.
Thank you JJP!

That would be a welcome addition. Let's hope that's the case.

#4856 5 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

That would be a welcome addition. Let's hope that's the case.

Oh yeah. Just from reading the read me notes I can tell that this is the type of update that will take the Hobbit to the next level. It's been a long wait but it looks like it will have been well worth it. Its great to see that JJP has implemented a good number ideas based on customer feedback. Theres will be multiple options now to set up how the game plays.

#4857 5 years ago

So, do I watch the Friday stream, or wait and experience it for myself? I think I'll pass on the stream...I want to hear the new call outs and see the animations without spoilers...then I'll watch the stream. Hopefully code will be released Friday as well? Either way...YIPPEE!!

#4858 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

So, do I watch the Friday stream, or wait and experience it for myself? I think I'll pass on the stream...I want to hear the new call outs and see the animations without spoilers...then I'll watch the stream. Hopefully code will be released Friday as well? Either way...YIPPEE!!

All the mode and gameplay updates look nice. But I think the new callouts and sound effect as well as the timed mode countdown speech may be the changes will be the noticed right away. Now that I can turn off mode multballs - will I?

#4859 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

All the mode and gameplay updates look nice. But I think the new callouts and sound effect as well as the timed mode countdown may by the changes I think will be the most noticed right away. Now that I can turn off mode multballs - will I?

I love mode multiballs. I like if you finish it and you've still got the multiballs going, you get those red "victory lap" shots that make the Dwarves harmonize when you hit them. I wouldn't turn that off.

#4860 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I love mode multiballs. I like if you finish it and you've still got the multiballs going, you get those red "victory lap" shots that make the Dwarves harmonize when you hit them. I wouldn't turn that off.

I didn't know it did that!

So, when you complete a mode that had mode locks - and you have more than a single ball in play - you get victory laps?

#4861 5 years ago

I've read the release notes a couple times now and all I can say is that I'm beyond impressed. Pretty much everything that owners have been suggesting for a while now is in the update, I can't believe it really. Talk about great customer support, this is that and then some!

#4862 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

So, when you complete a mode that had mode locks - and you have more than a single ball in play - you get victory laps?

Yeah! There will be red inserts lit - those stay lit as long as more than 1 ball is still in play. When you hit them the Dwarves sing "MMMmmMmMMmmmMMMMmmMM" ... I'm assuming there are points involved too lol

#4863 5 years ago

I know some have said that hobbit is not that deep a game because it only take the same 5 objectives to start the 3 mini wizard modes. BUT, there are like 32 or so modes - that's alot. I know that JJP Pirates will have alot of modes. But as of right now - is there any other pinball machine with more unique modes than The Hobbit.

And by the way - each mode has great callouts, animations, and sound so they are each kind of cool in their own way.

#4864 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Not victory laps like Smaug where each shot is worth something though. Complete all shots and you'll get the score that you received at the end of the mode, then the shots relight. You can keep doing it until you drain down to one ball.

#4865 5 years ago
Quoted from JamesMxP:

Not victory laps like Smaug where each shot is worth something though. Complete all shots and you'll get the score that you received at the end of the mode, then the shots relight. You can keep doing it until you drain down to one ball.

So, take for example the One Ring mode. Can I keep shooting the right ramp to collect bonus points until I lose the multiball?

#4866 5 years ago

JJP have smashed it with this update!

#4867 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

JJP have smashed it with this update!

Hell yeah they did! I haven't been this pumped after reading a change log since WOZ 2.0 back in December of 2013, lol.

#4868 5 years ago

+ Added more Smaug speech for locking balls and jackpots

YES!

#4869 5 years ago

PinballSTAR has both Hobbit LE and Hobbit BA in stock ready to ship. I know many have inquired who were waiting for this big code update. Contact Joe at [email protected] for info / pricing.

#4870 5 years ago

Wow - this is just fantastic news. I picked up the Hobbit just about two months ago, so I didn't have to experience the growing pains. Right now, I haven't grown weary of the current ruleset (I also have a 7.5 pitch, opened the outlanes an dropped the center post) - loving it the way it is.

This enhanced ruleset is going to be an amazing experience!

#4871 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's a hell of a lot of awesome and welcomed changes

BAM! a great update by JJP. It seems to address all concerns and really polishes the game nicely. Will have to wait til Sat for code to drop before seeing its impact to scoring. This release is a win for everybody.

#4872 5 years ago

I have a code release party set let just hope the time table holds up!

#4873 5 years ago

Awesome job JJP! Second to none in code support for their games!

#4874 5 years ago

So who's going to be the first to time out 31 modes?

#4875 5 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

I have a code release party set let just hope the time table holds up!

Does anyone have an idea if the code JJP features on the twitch stream is also available for owners to download the same day? My fear is that we might have to wait a few days.

#4876 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Does anyone have an idea if the code JJP features on the twitch stream is also available for owners to download the same day?

Not sure if the same day. If no bugs are found in the test software. I think we'll see it very soon.

LTG : )

#4877 5 years ago

I'm thinking this is just a preview. Not really expecting them to release the code for a bit.

Of course I'll be thrilled if I'm wrong.

#4878 5 years ago

Thank you for the feedback, gentlemen. Makes sense to me...

#4879 5 years ago

A few of the changes are pretty damn substantial such as the item below.

* Book Mode qualifier for Arkenstone now includes a scoring weight; more difficult
modes result in higher Arkenstone scoring

I believe that addition is the star rating concept that Keith talked about a couple months back. Notes below that I took from the podcast.

Behavior of game changing somewhat. The 31 book modes will have a star raiting assigned to them, 1-5. The number of stars you have completed going into an Arkenstone mode works into bonus. Also, the highest star mode beat affects scoring of your next qualified wizard mode. For example the One Ring mode, an easier mode, will likely be assigned 1 star and Keith said if that is the mode completed when you go into an Arkenstone mode your bonus won't be as high compared to going into it with a 4, or 5 star mode completed.

#4880 5 years ago

This update coming up has caused me to put off selling my game.

I was so disappointed with the lack of updates.

This is really exciting news.

#4881 5 years ago

People that sold their game at a loss will be bleeding . Jjp where always going to update it the question was when . And when is now
Fantastic

#4882 5 years ago
Quoted from Georgeh:

People that sold their game at a loss will be bleeding . Jjp where always going to update it the question was when . And when is now
Fantastic

Code won't change layout or general perception of game I love it those who don't still won't I say it wins over a few people and for those of us Enjoy it just got a major upgrade

#4883 5 years ago

Hobbit podcast is announced for Friday. Jack has stated that code will be released Saturday. So if it isn't here by Sunday you are sanctioned to go full rage.

Looks like we've arrived folks.... Welcome to the five days of Hobbit! Day 4 = watch podcast Day 5 = download code!! Days 1 - 3 can f@cK themselves.

#4884 5 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Code won't change layout or general perception of game I love it those who don't still won't I say it wins over a few people and for those of us Enjoy it just got a major upgrade

Code support can affect game value and game perception in big ways. Stern Star Trek and Metallica are proof of that.

#4885 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Code support can affect game value and game perception in big ways. Stern Star Trek and Metallica are proof of that.

True heck I was a hell no on WOZ and code changed it - when your right your right

#4886 5 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

True heck I was a hell no on WOZ and code changed it - when your right your right

Absolutely.

I have waited long and hard for my hobbit to get the WOZ treatment it so deserves.

I think it has the capacity to become greater than WOZ.

2 years is a lot to ask for loyal JJP owners.

#4887 5 years ago

I want to thank everyone that gave input and helped get the Hobbit updated code.

Cheers

#4888 5 years ago

To watch the stream, or not watch the stream, that is the question...

I'm dying to see some gameplay, but also want to explore middle earth with fresh eyes! Roll on Saturday!!

#4889 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

To watch the stream, or not watch the stream, that is the question...
I'm dying to see some gameplay, but also want to explore middle earth with fresh eyes! Roll on Saturday!!

I hear ya there. I'm going to pass on watching the stream, at least a majority of it. It's awesome JJP is doing a stream for the new Hobbit code but I want to see and hear a lot of the changes for the first time on my own.

#4890 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

So, take for example the One Ring mode. Can I keep shooting the right ramp to collect bonus points until I lose the multiball?

No. It will light 4-5 of the main shots in red. You have to complete all those shots to receive the mode total once. Then another set of shots will light after completion.

#4891 5 years ago

I would like some advice... I have a set of gold side mirrors from Pinball Side Mirrors. I was going to install them on my LOTR but think they would look better on Hobbit. Does anybody know if these would fit a JJP machine?

Would be nice to get these in ready for the the new code!

#4892 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I would like some advice... I have a set of gold side mirrors from Pinball Side Mirrors. I was going to install them on my LOTR but think they would look better on Hobbit. Does anybody know if these would fit a JJP machine?

Art blades on LOTR and mirror blades on Hobbit
And it woudn't fit on.

#4893 5 years ago
20180302_001156 (resized).jpg20180302_001156 (resized).jpg20180306_225443 (resized).jpg20180306_225443 (resized).jpg20180306_225737 (resized).jpg20180306_225737 (resized).jpg
#4894 5 years ago
Quoted from Celofane:

Art blades on LOTR and mirror blades on Hobbit
And it woudn't fit on.

I agree! But did you say they wouldn't fit on? I'll try and get a photo of the blades.

Your machine looks really sweet...

#4895 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Stern and JJP/WPC blades aren’t compatible; I believe it’s because the Stern blades don’t have the hinge holes. So if you bought them for LOTR, that’s where you’ll want to install them..

#4896 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Won't fit. Jjp games use bw mirrors.

#4897 5 years ago

Ah now I see - thanks both, that makes it easier I suppose

#4898 5 years ago

From Ted in one of the other threads.

"Thank you all for your excitement surrounding the upcoming software update.

Here are some screen captures from Status Report that show the details on the Arkenstone weighting ("TIER") for the book modes. I completed "Resurgence of Sauron" to illustrate how that is highlighted."

2eedb2bafb6be71c76f0d0616e824d9f4f4757b4 (resized).jpg2eedb2bafb6be71c76f0d0616e824d9f4f4757b4 (resized).jpg
a551f00df9bf586d873b325e4c9cd9bafd064e7a (resized).jpga551f00df9bf586d873b325e4c9cd9bafd064e7a (resized).jpg
579158824099ea1686591b194970415f2f9c689b (resized).jpg579158824099ea1686591b194970415f2f9c689b (resized).jpg

#4899 5 years ago

The status report screen is fucking awesome. Should definitely help newer players understand the feeder modes better and it's nice go to see how far you got in modes once the madness dies down and you can trap up.

#4900 5 years ago

England win a penalty shoot out, massive prayer-answering Hobbit code dropping this week... someone pinch me I've got to be dreaming!?!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 98 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/98 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.