IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 96 of 260.
#4751 5 years ago

check_switch_26 thanks for posting the md5 of this file. While I was waiting for the OP I went ahead and downloaded the .iso file and created a bootable USB using native Linux commands; as you can see, we have the same md5sum values for the download.

TheHobbitv2.0 (resized).pngTheHobbitv2.0 (resized).png

I then booted my computer into a Windows environment and inserted the Linux bootable thumdrive I created...as expected, this disk in unreadable in a Windows environment.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4752 5 years ago

Now to boot my new Hobbit Flash drive in my computer to make sure it works .... If I'm gone awhile you know bad things hapened to my PC

WARNING: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME .... OR WORK!

#4753 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Now to boot my new Hobbit Flash drive in my computer to make sure it works .... If I'm gone awhile you know bad things hapened to my PC

Why would you boot the flash drive in the PC? It might kill windows.

You want to run it on the game.

#4754 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Why would you boot the flash drive in the PC? It might kill windows.

I like to live on the edge...

Actually my computer has no internal hard disks. All my disks are in hot swap bays, so I just pop out critical OS disks when I do things that are dangerous...

#4755 5 years ago

Any suggestions on the final shot to kill Smaug? After making it my mission the past few weeks, I can get to the final shot and load the Windlance. I need some advice from here. Any strategy?

Do you trap the other balls in play and just try and work with the Windlance ball?

After the Windlance fires, it seems like I have just a second or two to make the shot. Then it re-sets the MAN targets, right? Maybe once the Windlance fires, I can also fire the balls trapped in the lower right flipper to try and get Smaug. (??)

Does the Windlance Fire automatically if you don't hit the ring button within a second or two? Think it did that but not sure.

Gotta get this guy!!!! Thanks.

#4756 5 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Any suggestions on the final shot to kill Smaug? After making it my mission the past few weeks, I can get to the final shot and load the Windlance. I need some advice from here. Any strategy?
Do you trap the other balls in play and just try and work with the Windlance ball?
After the Windlance fires, it seems like I have just a second or two to make the shot. Then it re-sets the MAN targets, right? Maybe once the Windlance fires, I can also fire the balls trapped in the lower right flipper to try and get Smaug. (??)
Does the Windlance Fire automatically if you don't hit the ring button within a second or two? Think it did that but not sure.
Gotta get this guy!!!! Thanks.

Trap a ball and use that to kill Smaug from the lower flipper. If you miss it goes back to the MAN targets, yes. It also fires automatically as you said.

#4757 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I like to live on the edge...

Actually my computer has no internal hard disks. All my disks are in hot swap bays, so I just pop out critical OS disks when I do things that are dangerous...

Or even better, do your unsafe things in a VM ...

Screenshot-The hobbit [Running] - Oracle VM VirtualBox (resized).pngScreenshot-The hobbit [Running] - Oracle VM VirtualBox (resized).png

#4758 5 years ago

If anyone in Australia is looking for one of these fine machines pm me

#4759 5 years ago

Gday guys looking at getting a nib le hobbit don't have time to go through almost 5k posts anything I need to look out for or need to know.Any advice would be much appreciated.

#4760 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Gday guys looking at getting a nib le hobbit don't have time to go through almost 5k posts anything I need to look out for or need to know.Any advice would be much appreciated.

Have a look at the 'topic index' and key posts at the top of the page under the 'topic gallery'.

#4761 5 years ago

I'm in the club! Picked this lil' guy from a fellow Pinsider here - looking forward to really digging in! It was too easy on default settings, so I cranked it up to 7.5, opened the outlanes and pulled the center post - makes a HUGE difference!

Everything works great and looks fantastic! Smaug's jaw is a little crooked - is this common and is there a simple fix to the mechanism? Also - the VUK coils have to be really turned up high to be consistent - is this common as well?

-PC

hob1 (resized).jpghob1 (resized).jpg
#4762 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Have a look at the 'topic index' and key posts at the top of the page under the 'topic gallery'.

Thanks mate. Just watching TNT at jjp factory, can't wait so excited. hope I can find the money for Potc.

#4763 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

I'm in the club! Picked this lil' guy from a fellow Pinsider here - looking forward to really digging in! It was too easy on default settings, so I cranked it up to 7.5, opened the outlanes and pulled the center post - makes a HUGE difference!
Everything works great and looks fantastic! Smaug's jaw is a little crooked - is this common and is there a simple fix to the mechanism? Also - the VUK coils have to be really turned up high to be consistent - is this common as well?
-PC

Congrats! And No to both of your questions. I’ve never heard of those problems.

#4764 5 years ago

Congrats! I have a Hobbit sitting right next to a LOTR as well. They look nice together. They do play very similar, so be warned. However, I still get more of a rush from trying to defeat Smaug than I do trying to destroy the ring. Need to have victory laps or more of a pause after defeating Smaug. Seems like it just goes right back into gameplay. Need a moment to savor it.

#4765 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Congrats! I have a Hobbit sitting right next to a LOTR as well. They look nice together. They do play very similar, so be warned. However, I still get more of a rush from trying to defeat Smaug than I do trying to destroy the ring. Need to have victory laps or more of a pause after defeating Smaug. Seems like it just goes right back into gameplay. Need a moment to savor it.

Defeated Smaug for first time on Saturday. Was able to complete two victory laps around my basement with my arms in the air before the game resumed. Such a rush.

#4766 5 years ago

Hi all !! Im new here because i just received my hobbit black arrow and i am very happy of this incredible pinball.

I just have a problem with my nib pinball : smaud head dont rotate... the test coil indicates that the coil stepper motor are off (colored in blue).

Smaug move only the mouth but dont rotate...

Someone has an idea ?

Thanks a lot.
Yannick

#4767 5 years ago
Quoted from Yfichelle:

Someone has an idea ?

Check that it's connectors below the playfield are plugged in tight. The head isn't binding on anything above the playfield.

Then open a ticket under support at jerseyjackpinball.com

LTG : )

#4768 5 years ago

I have looked under the playfield but it is very difficult to see the good connector. Do you think i need to remove the entire head ?

Its really complicated for me ;o)

#4769 5 years ago
Quoted from Yfichelle:

Do you think i need to remove the entire head ?

No. You should be able to spot is wires back there.

#4770 5 years ago
Quoted from Yfichelle:

I have looked under the playfield but it is very difficult to see the good connector.

Here is a picture of the connectors to check.

DSC00541 (resized).JPGDSC00541 (resized).JPG
#4771 5 years ago

Tx LTG. Its so simple on your photo... because on my hobbit the connector are hidden and not so easily accessible. I look that this evening ;o)

#4772 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I've noticed how similar they play, for sure. I'm not entirely sure how to even get to the battle with Smaug, but I assume I was close. On my fifth game I got to all of the Arkenstone modes, so I assume the battle with Smaug was next.

Playing deep into the Ark modes is a blast! Really feels like an epic battle.....

#4773 5 years ago

More
I've noticed how similar they play, for sure. I'm not entirely sure how to even get to the battle with Smaug, but I assume I was close. On my fifth game I got to all of the Arkenstone modes, so I assume the battle with Smaug was next.
Playing deep into the Ark modes is a blast! Really feels like an epic battle.....

You battle Smaug during Smaug mb. You get to Smaug mb by hitting the four lock rollovers and then shooting the right ramp when the word lock is lit on the right ramp.

#4774 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

You battle Smaug during Smaug mb. You get to Smaug mb by hitting the four lock rollovers and then shooting the right ramp when the word lock is lit on the right ramp.

Oh - well holy hell, I thought there was a different epic battle with Smaug after starting all three Ark modes Yes, I've battled with Smaug quite a bit then. I obviously have not been following the evolution of the game.

What happens after you complete the five objectives when the three Ark modes have already been played?

#4775 5 years ago

Oh - well holy hell, I thought there was a different epic battle with Smaug after starting all three Ark modes Yes, I've battled with Smaug quite a bit then. I obviously have not been following the evolution of the game.
What happens after you complete the five objectives when the three Ark modes have already been played?

After into the fire, battle of five armies and barrel escape, there is nothing as far as I know. That’s been a complaint, no final wizard mode. It’s coming with the next update I believe.

#4776 5 years ago

I don't think anything happens. You would start Into the fire again. The wizard mode that we may see in the future is allegedly for progressing through all 31 modes in the game.

#4777 5 years ago

Hello all. I am with the 2.01 code.

I play with my hobbit since 2 days and i have already done into the fire and barrel without difficulty... i thought that the hobbit was hard to play... so i think that i am missing something.

Do i really terminate theses 2 modes ? Do you put the difficulty level to hard in the settings ?

Thanks,
Yannick

#4778 5 years ago
Quoted from Yfichelle:

I play with my hobbit since 2 days and i have already done into the fire and barrel without difficulty... i thought that the hobbit was hard to play... so i think that i am missing something.
Do i really terminate theses 2 modes ? Do you put the difficulty level to hard in the settings ?
Thanks,
Yannick

Check the pitch of the game and make sure it's 7° or more. Pull your outlane and center posts and remove the ball saver. Should be harder then!

#4779 5 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

More
Check the pitch of the game and make sure it's 7° or more. Pull your outlane and center posts and remove the ball saver. Should be harder then!

Becomes a proper ass kicker when setup like this! It also helps to plug up the holes where the left outlane post was because it can turn into a ball trap.

#4780 5 years ago
Quoted from Yfichelle:

Thanks,
Yannick

Did you finish both modes or just get to them? There's about 5 levels in each arkenstone mode.

#4781 5 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Becomes a proper ass kicker when setup like this! It also helps to plug up the holes where the left outlane post was because it can turn into a ball trap.

I've had that too. What do you use to plug the holes?

#4782 5 years ago

I think i have not ended the 5 modes... i have my eyes on the balls, very hard to look the screen...

The mode must be not validated if it is not ended... it will be more difficult to advance, no ?

#4783 5 years ago

For my problem with smaug, all is ok with the connector... jjp ticket now....

#4784 5 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

I've had that too. What do you use to plug the holes?

I put three layers of cell phone screen protector (the thin kind) over all three holes. One layer wasn’t thick enough and balls would still tee up. My game came with a black plug for the center post and I was going to buy more of those but I like the transparent look it has right now.

#4785 5 years ago

Put my deposit on a le today now just trying to figure out how to pay for it. .played a star wars le next to it and the difference between them was night and day the star wars felt so cheap although I really liked the video mode I played.

#4786 5 years ago

I’m having an issue with my Smaug: the right limit switch isn’t registering. I checked J100 and related connectors under the play field and they seem ok... any thoughts?

#4787 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Put my deposit on a le today now just trying to figure out how to pay for it. .played a star wars le next to it and the difference between them was night and day the star wars felt so cheap although I really liked the video mode I played.

Awesome! Not sure if you can get this in Australia but there's a Chase Sapphire credit card out there that offers $500 in cash back after spending $5k within 3 months. The distributor I bought my Hobbit through didn't charge for a credit card fee at the time (does now) so it knocked $500 off the game. I then just paid the card off the first month and closed it within a year to avoid the $100 yearly fee. Maybe your distributor won't charge a CC fee.

#4788 5 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

I’m having an issue with my Smaug: the right limit switch isn’t registering. I checked J100 and related connectors under the play field and they seem ok... any thoughts?

So, to continue... turns out the right limit switch is working, and it seemed like the mech was binding on the right side of its arc.

So I removed it, and noticed that the wires feeding through the mech seemed to be pulling too tight. Adjusting those and re-installing it, I now see the real problem: the back of Smaug's head is rubbing on the rear ramp lane when he's turned about 90% to the right.

I'm not quite sure how to adjust this without breaking anything. I've already tried mounting it as far away as the screw holes will allow (minimum movement available) and he still hits. My Smaug seems to have a bit of an underbite, and the whole rear/top of the head could be pushed/bent forward, but I don't know how to do this without breaking something.

Ideas?

#4789 5 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

So, to continue... turns out the right limit switch is working, and it seemed like the mech was binding on the right side of its arc.
So I removed it, and noticed that the wires feeding through the mech seemed to be pulling too tight. Adjusting those and re-installing it, I now see the real problem: the back of Smaug's head is rubbing on the rear ramp lane when he's turned about 90% to the right.
I'm not quite sure how to adjust this without breaking anything. I've already tried mounting it as far away as the screw holes will allow (minimum movement available) and he still hits. My Smaug seems to have a bit of an underbite, and the whole rear/top of the head could be pushed/bent forward, but I don't know how to do this without breaking something.
Ideas?

Talking to myself here... removed Smaug again, and unscrewed the 2 screws holding the back/top of his head from the front/bottom of the assembly.

I then added some thin shims (rubber bumpers) to the bottom beneath the screw holes, so that when the two halves are screwed back together, the bottom pushes out a little and the top thereby pulls in, hopefully giving it more clearance from the ramp.

Put it all back together... and presto! Full range of motion without contact, and both limit switches trigger normally. Adjusted his mouth to work properly with the new alignment, and now Smaug works great!

I also re-arranged the small wire on Smaug that scoots up around the metal baseplate, which had been ziptied at the factory such that it stuck up vertically and rubbed against the rotating plate, already causing some wear on the sheath.

#4790 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Awesome! Not sure if you can get this in Australia but there's a Chase Sapphire credit card out there that offers $500 in cash back after spending $5k within 3 months.

Thanks, no sapphire credit cards here but I did get a $1000 bucks off. Will have to look down the back of the couch for the rest.

#4791 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Thanks, no sapphire credit cards here but I did get a $1000 bucks off. Will have to look down the back of the couch for the rest.

Ah not a bad deal there! Could’ve saved another few grand second hand

#4792 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Nice! Can't beat that. Congrats!

#4793 5 years ago

I am still enjoying my Hobbit after a year of owning it.

My only issue is the left sling broke the sling plastic and I can't see how to adjust it so it won't happen on the new set. The metal weapon seems to rest too far back. Any ideas?

#4794 5 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Ah not a bad deal there! Could’ve saved another few grand second hand

Sorry audioenslaved just always wanted a brand new nib pin ➕ you didn't ring me. Wish you all the best.

#4795 5 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Talking to myself here... removed Smaug again, and unscrewed the 2 screws holding the back/top of his head from the front/bottom of the assembly.

You really *are* talking to yourself! The good news is you are smart enough to fix the game on your own. The wires on this game have almost no leeway. They are way too tight. I'm glad you sorted out the issues. Thank You for providing this info for the rest of us. I occasionally have Smaug issues, but nothing consistent.

#4796 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Sorry audioenslaved just always wanted a brand new nib pin ➕ you didn't ring me. Wish you all the best.

Ah just landed from being os

#4797 5 years ago

After having a chat today if anyone in oz is interested in getting a bargain priced Hobbit I would highly recommend messaging audioenslaved. I was really tempted but had my heart set on a brand new one

1 week later
#4798 5 years ago

Great info on the Smaug head range of motion. I did the same fix but didn’t share. Kudos for sharing.

#4799 5 years ago

Any word on when the next big update is going to drop? Seems like the chatter has dropped off considerably since a few months ago when the board was buzzing about it. If anyone knows dates or a general time frame, I'm very curious.

#4800 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Any word on when the next big update is going to drop? Seems like the chatter has dropped off considerably since a few months ago when the board was buzzing about it. If anyone knows dates or a general time frame, I'm very curious.

They have said after POTC so it will be a bit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 96 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/96 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.