20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 260.
#4701 5 years ago

Just wanted to share my ridiculous mode bonus from a good run on The Bait mode. At the end of the mode I think the final shot was worth over 100,000, couldn’t get a quick snap of the end of mode score.

8A67F539-ED5E-45DE-8FC2-692A7C76FB64 (resized).jpeg8A67F539-ED5E-45DE-8FC2-692A7C76FB64 (resized).jpeg

#4702 5 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

I think WOZ just has the it factor with the layout and the code being great. I don’t think I’ll even get to somewhere over the rainbow but I can dream... I have been to Battle of five armies twice in about 20 or so games. Getting to Into the fire is more of a rush for me than Bofa! Just the music and the call outs for me in into the fire are spot on. And when you kill Smaug that’s a pretty cool bit too but I’ve done it and I don’t feel like I need to do it again...
Furthermore to the above I’ve been to BOFA and killed Smaug and the game to me feels like I can do that ALMOST EVERY game! ALMOST! And I think what kind of kills my enjoyment. I don’t want to get to the wizard mode or close to the end of the game every game. LOTR for me is the better if the two worlds because you can play 2/3 of the movie multiballs and maybe get to destroy the ring every other 10 or 20 games and it’s an achievement instead of feeling like it’s a given. That’s the feeling I get. Just me

Have you thought about changing your setup?

Full Discloser: I don't own a Hobbit. However, I've read a lot of people think the game is too easy or it lasts too long. In order to make it more challenging some have changed difficultly, adjusted the angle, opened the outlanes, etc.

I like to play at factory setting for the most part, but maybe this is a game that would be good to make more challenging as your skill level increases or you learn how to play it better...?

just spit-balling..

#4703 5 years ago

Anybody happen to know height of Hobbit with legs off and head folded down?
Thx for any help!

#4704 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Full Discloser: I don't own a Hobbit. However, I've read a lot of people think the game is too easy or it lasts too long. In order to make it more challenging some have changed difficultly, adjusted the angle, opened the outlanes, etc.
I like to play at factory setting for the most part, but maybe this is a game that would be good to make more challenging as your skill level increases or you learn how to play it better...?
just spit-balling..

Yeah, Ted from JJP recommended to remove the center post and open the outlines even.

#4705 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

just spit-balling..

Exactly, also increasing difficulty of modes in the settings.

#4706 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yeah, Ted from JJP recommended to remove the center post and open the outlines even.

Yup, that really helps plus enabling the critics cut preset that Ted added with the last update.

#4707 5 years ago

I would respectfully disagree on the LOTR comparison above. I can easily get all 3 movie multiballs started and at least play Destroy the Ring just about every game on LOTR. I've beaten/completed both Fellowship multiball and Two Towers multiball. I just checked my audits and I've been to Battle of the Five Armies 4 times (1400 total plays, I'd say 80% are mine). You may say I just suck, but I'm the same player on LOTR and Hobbit...and I find the fact that Hobbit is a linear progression makes getting all the way through more challenging. I've still not completed all victory laps for Into the fire and have yet to complete Barrell Escape and BOFA. Those modes are seriously challenging. And for me, Smaug = Destroy the Ring in difficulty and excitement. I can get to both, but completing them is difficult. Can't tell you how many times I've drained one shot away from both Smaug and DTR. But killing Smaug and Destroying the ring never get old. LOTR is an adventure experience like none other, but Hobbit takes that experience and adds better music and film clips that takes it to 11. Both games are great, but Hobbit is no slouch for this non-tourney player.

#4708 5 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Anybody happen to know height of Hobbit with legs off and head folded down?
Thx for any help!

29 5/8"

#4709 5 years ago

I dont know about that^^^^^^^^equating DTR and killing Smaug. DTR is what 6 or 7 shots compared to killing Smaug. I dont know how many shots that is but its more than DTR and you have to do it through the chaos of multiballs. I have completed DTR numerous times but only killed Smaug once in hundreds and hundreds of games (and still not 100% sure how it happened).

#4710 5 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I dont know about that^^^^^^^^equating DTR and killing Smaug. DTR is what 6 or 7 shots compared to killing Smaug. I dont know how many shots that is but its more than DTR and you have to do it through the chaos of multiballs. I have completed DTR numerous times but only killed Smaug once in hundreds and hundreds of games (and still not 100% sure how it happened).

Oh, don't get me wrong, they are two totally different experiences and rules to complete. But, they are somewhat comparable within their respective games. My heart rate always jumps up a bit when I see those lights flash red in front of the targets, knowing that I'm in the last stage before I get to take my shot at Smaug! Plus, the fact that my record of DTR is 29 seconds shows that Smaug is definitely the longer and deeper of the two, for sure!

#4711 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I would respectfully disagree on the LOTR comparison above. I can easily get all 3 movie multiballs started and at least play Destroy the Ring just about every game on LOTR. I've beaten/completed both Fellowship multiball and Two Towers multiball. I just checked my audits and I've been to Battle of the Five Armies 4 times (1400 total plays, I'd say 80% are mine). You may say I just suck, but I'm the same player on LOTR and Hobbit...and I find the fact that Hobbit is a linear progression makes getting all the way through more challenging. I've still not completed all victory laps for Into the fire and have yet to complete Barrell Escape and BOFA. Those modes are seriously challenging. And for me, Smaug = Destroy the Ring in difficulty and excitement. I can get to both, but completing them is difficult. Can't tell you how many times I've drained one shot away from both Smaug and DTR. But killing Smaug and Destroying the ring never get old. LOTR is an adventure experience like none other, but Hobbit takes that experience and adds better music and film clips that takes it to 11. Both games are great, but Hobbit is no slouch for this non-tourney player.

Great points, agree. I'm always surprised to hear some people say that they have "beat" The Hobbit because they played the 3 Arkenstone modes...but then didn't actually beat any of them. The 3 Arkenstone modes are very engaging, fun, and difficult wizard modes with multiple stages. Starting modes isn't the same as completing them.

It would be awesome if JJP would consider adding a mid wizard mode to Hobbit, Destroy the Ring style, for beating 15 modes to represent the half way point.

#4712 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Great points, agree. I'm always surprised to hear some people say that they have "beat" The Hobbit because they played the 3 Arkenstone modes...but then didn't actually beat any of them. The 3 Arkenstone modes are very engaging, fun, and difficult wizard modes with multiple stages. Starting modes isn't the same as completing them.
It would be awesome if JJP would consider adding a mid wizard mode to Hobbit, Destroy the Ring style, for beating 15 modes to represent the half way point.

I totally agree. The Hobbit is an extremely challenging game. I've been to BOFA a half dozzen times and killed Smaug only two or three times. I've never completed all the stages in any of the arkenstone modes or 100% finished all the modes. The game has some very easy objectives for casual players and then there seems to be a big jump in difficulty to achieve more. It is probably a game best suited for a long-term home environment than an arcade due to the learning curve and overall difficulty. If it were easy, it would grow old too quickly so I'm happy that it is the way it is. I just think it needs a little more for intermediate players to keep them interested.

#4713 5 years ago
Quoted from Pathfinder:

I totally agree. The Hobbit is an extremely challenging game. I've been to BOFA a half dozzen times and killed Smaug only two or three times. I've never completed all the stages in any of the arkenstone modes or 100% finished all the modes. The game has some very easy objectives for casual players and then there seems to be a big jump in difficulty to achieve more. It is probably a game best suited for a long-term home environment than an arcade due to the learning curve and overall difficulty. If it were easy, it would grow old too quickly so I'm happy that it is the way it is. I just think it needs a little more for intermediate players to keep them interested.

Agree. Some type of award for beating 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 31 (super wizard mode as award) book modes would accomplish that in my opinion. Dialed In does that incredibly well by offering mid wizard modes for starting 6 and 11 modes. The Hobbit needs something similar for its book modes in my opinion.

#4714 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Agree. Some type of award for beating 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 31 (super wizard mode as award) book modes would accomplish that in my opinion. Dialed In does that incredibly well by offering mid wizard modes for starting 6 and 11 modes. The Hobbit needs something similar for its book modes in my opinion.

That would be very cool, the idea of a mini wizard mode/reward for completing X number of modes. Much more enticing than a star. But unfortunately would require much more coding and not sure if there are enough assets left for it (who knows how much they have left to work with after all that is in there).

#4715 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

That would be very cool, the idea of a mini wizard mode/reward for completing X number of modes. Much more enticing than a star. But unfortunately would require much more coding and not sure if there are enough assets left for it (who knows how much they have left to work with after all that is in there).

Bilbos auction? Keith was joking around about that on the podcast.

For a half way wizard mode for beating 15 modes I would do a longer drawn out mode with multiple stages from the scene where Elrond, Lady Galadriel, and Saruman rescue Gandalf. With the way that scene is done there could be some rather epic light shows implemented. That scene has classic characters in it and would be great to see represented as a mini wizard mode in the game.

Here's the scene

#4716 5 years ago

The star idea offers no incentive to play modes that I can see. It only seeks to balance things up.

#4717 5 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

I think WOZ just has the it factor with the layout and the code being great. I don’t think I’ll even get to somewhere over the rainbow but I can dream... I have been to Battle of five armies twice in about 20 or so games. Getting to Into the fire is more of a rush for me than Bofa! Just the music and the call outs for me in into the fire are spot on. And when you kill Smaug that’s a pretty cool bit too but I’ve done it and I don’t feel like I need to do it again...
Furthermore to the above I’ve been to BOFA and killed Smaug and the game to me feels like I can do that ALMOST EVERY game! ALMOST! And I think what kind of kills my enjoyment. I don’t want to get to the wizard mode or close to the end of the game every game. LOTR for me is the better if the two worlds because you can play 2/3 of the movie multiballs and maybe get to destroy the ring every other 10 or 20 games and it’s an achievement instead of feeling like it’s a given. That’s the feeling I get. Just me

In the old days LOTR was considered to be too long an adventure and people talked about their never ending games just sitting unplayed after crushing an hour long battle.

#4718 5 years ago

I own both and they are great games, but Hobbit is my first choice, but I feel that way with other games I own.

I just love Hobbits game play.

#4719 5 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

I own both and they are great games, but Hobbit is my first choice, but I feel that way with other games I own.

Not to blow smoke, but your collection is damn close to my ideal wish list

#4720 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Quoted from indybru:

Not to blow smoke, but your collection is damn close to my ideal wish list

I agree, it is a very nice collection.

1 week later
#4721 5 years ago

Man, I can hardly wait for the next update. I am looking forward to what they cook up!

#4722 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Man, I can hardly wait for the next update. I am looking forward to what they cook up!

Same, it's been about 3 weeks since Keith mentioned that Joe Katz started re-writing beast multiball. I think that change, the addition of a super wizard mode, the star rating concept, the other items Keith mentioned last year (champion items, extra bonuses for Feast Frenzy and Super Spinner, additional configuration options for Arkenstone modes), the work Ted has been performing on the game (Keith said he had been working a lot on the update), and anything else that is implemented is going to really elevate the games code to a "master code" level! That's my hope at least

#4723 5 years ago

I am such a terrible player. Been doing nothing for the last week but trying to kill Smaug. As much as I love all the modes, I'm giving up on them all until I kill this dang dragon. Not even close.

And I love the fact that everybody's kept it a secret as to what happens. They just say it's awesome with no detail.

#4724 5 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

I am such a terrible player. Been doing nothing for the last week but trying to kill Smaug. As much as I love all the modes, I'm giving up on them all until I kill this dang dragon. Not even close.
And I love the fact that everybody's kept it a secret as to what happens. They just say it's awesome with no detail.

I've done it a few times, cool multiball for sure. Not easy to do. I like that about Keith's code. Not easy and takes a while to master.

#4725 5 years ago

I’m a big fan of the lighting effects during the final part of Smaug multiball. Really adds to the tension.

#4726 5 years ago

Killing Smaug is a very satisfying shot and love the show after. I have only done it twice since I owned my pin but man was it great.

#4727 5 years ago

I’ve been thinking about the update a lot lately and I can’t help but wonder what it would be like if they completely rewrote Smaug Multiball.

I know it sounds crazy and will likely never happen, but it doesn’t have the level of detail or choreography that some of the mini wizard modes have. Into The Fire is a good example, you save party members by collecting shots and battle the beasts while doing it. The light show and sounds are amazing and it really connects you with that sequence in the movie.

Smaug Multiball is just waves of jackpot shots with a super at the end. The video is there on the screen, but the callouts and shots don’t really connect you with what’s happening and it can be tough to know how you’re progressing. What if they connected the stages to the scenes in the movie and did something like this:

Stage 1 - Bilbo searches for the Arkenstone. Complete shots to hide from Smaug and find the Arkenstone. They could incorporate the ring button here to disappear and collect one of the required shots. They could throw in a way to earn that feature through regular game play. Collecting the Arkenstone at the end could be a roving shot that flashes the colors of the Arkenstone.

Stage 2 – Flee from Smaug and relight the furnace. Complete shots to escape from Smaug, lure him to the furnace, and the final shot lights it. During this stage, the Smaug mech could be moving randomly and lighting sections of the playfield on fire momentarily as if he’s spewing fire at Bilbo and the Dwarves (think end of game sequence). Once the furnace is lit, the whole playfield could light on fire with the same effect.

Stage 3 – Covered in Gold. Complete shots to open the casting and cover Smaug in gold. Final shot could show him flying out of the gold with the “I will show you revenge” callout. There could be some cool lighting effects as he shakes off the gold.

Stage 4 - The Black Arrow. Makes shots to get the black arrow to Bard, repair the windlance, and load it. Hearing dialogue between Smaug and Bard after making each shot could be amazing and really suck you in to the final sequence. The final shot stays the same because it’s absolutely brilliant with the drop targets representing the missing scale.

Lighting locks and Locking Balls - This should also stay the same, but use dialogue and video from whatever stage you’re in.

If they did something like this, you would know exactly where you are in the multiball and it could take the experience to the next level.

#4728 5 years ago
Quoted from badblackz:

I’ve been thinking about the update a lot lately and I can’t help but wonder what it would be like if they completely rewrote Smaug Multiball.
I know it sounds crazy and will likely never happen, but it doesn’t have the level of detail or choreography that some of the mini wizard modes have. Into The Fire is a good example, you save party members by collecting shots and battle the beasts while doing it. The light show and sounds are amazing and it really connects you with that sequence in the movie.
Smaug Multiball is just waves of jackpot shots with a super at the end. The video is there on the screen, but the callouts and shots don’t really connect you with what’s happening and it can be tough to know how you’re progressing. What if they connected the stages to the scenes in the movie and did something like this:
Stage 1 - Bilbo searches for the Arkenstone. Complete shots to hide from Smaug and find the Arkenstone. They could incorporate the ring button here to disappear and collect one of the required shots. They could throw in a way to earn that feature through regular game play. Collecting the Arkenstone at the end could be a roving shot that flashes the colors of the Arkenstone.
Stage 2 – Flee from Smaug and relight the furnace. Complete shots to escape from Smaug, lure him to the furnace, and the final shot lights it. During this stage, the Smaug mech could be moving randomly and lighting sections of the playfield on fire momentarily as if he’s spewing fire at Bilbo and the Dwarves (think end of game sequence). Once the furnace is lit, the whole playfield could light on fire with the same effect.
Stage 3 – Covered in Gold. Complete shots to open the casting and cover Smaug in gold. Final shot could show him flying out of the gold with the “I will show you revenge” callout. There could be some cool lighting effects as he shakes off the gold.
Stage 4 - The Black Arrow. Makes shots to get the black arrow to Bard, repair the windlance, and load it. Hearing dialogue between Smaug and Bard after making each shot could be amazing and really suck you in to the final sequence. The final shot stays the same because it’s absolutely brilliant with the drop targets representing the missing scale.
Lighting locks and Locking Balls - This should also stay the same, but use dialogue and video from whatever stage you’re in.
If they did something like this, you would know exactly where you are in the multiball and it could take the experience to the next level.

Well, at first I thought you were crazy, but as I read it made more and more sense. And I ended up thinking you were right. The current phases are a bit haphazard, so maybe they will give it a little update down the road as well.

#4729 5 years ago

I would rather they not touch Smaug multiball and work on other parts of the game. I know exactly where I am in Smaug because of the shots. If I hit one and it stays lit, I'm in phase 1. If I hit it and it takes the mirror image shot (right or left ramp, etc) to re-light it, I'm in stage 2. If I hit it and it goes out and nothing brings it back, I'm in stage 3. And when the targets go red...it's time to get serious!

#4730 5 years ago

Magnet problem. Not the Smaug magnet that drops the ball into the lock for multiball, I'm talking about the rear left playfield magnet that stops a looped shot and drops the ball into the hidden hole.

The left playfield magnet does not stop the ball to divert it to the hidden hole for a +1 mode ball. The green light comes on at the loop and the ball just continues around to the other side. Both switches work in switch test and the wires look fine to the magnets. Not sure how to proceed.

The only thing I did recently was to upgrade from 2.00 to 2.01 but I'm not sure that has anything to do with the issue.

#4731 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Magnet problem. Not the Smaug magnet that drops the ball into the lock for multiball, I'm talking about the rear left playfield magnet that stops a looped shot and drops the ball into the hidden hole.
The left playfield magnet does not stop the ball to divert it to the hidden hole for a +1 mode ball. The green light comes on at the loop and the ball just continues around to the other side. Both switches work in switch test and the wires look fine to the magnets. Not sure how to proceed.
The only thing I did recently was to upgrade from 2.00 to 2.01 but I'm not sure that has anything to do with the issue.

There's a test in the games diagnostic menu specific to that magnet. Does it work and grab the ball in the test mode? I would also look in the diagnostics menu to see what fuse that magnet uses and see if anything else that leverages the same fuse is out as well.

#4732 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There's a test in the games diagnostic menu specific to that magnet. Does it work and grab the ball in the test mode? I would also look in the diagnostics menu to see what fuse that magnet uses and see if anything else that leverages the same fuse is out as well.

Thank you. Fuses done but the plug on the back of the metal box was loose. Problem solved.

#4733 5 years ago

I just bought a black arrow, but have a problem, I can hear feedback in the sound, like from the computer, I checked the audio plug but does not seem to be the issue? Smaug does not seem to work right either, seems flaky like sometimes he turns and sometimes he does not when he's supposed to? Also, game is better set up a little steeper, not so floaty. Also, I think there should be more animation, call outs with Smaug, and maybe a little less multi ball constantly.

#4734 5 years ago

So I'm trying to update from 1.9 to 2.0 so that I can update to 2.1. While copying the download to usb I get, "the file h:\syslinux/menu.c32 already exists Overwrite yay or nay?

Anyone else have the same problem?

The instructions on JJP's site say that the update should start when you turn the machine on but it just boots like usual. I've tried selecting the usb update from the menu but from there I get 50/50 results of the machine rebooting or getting a message saying there is no HOBBIT_UPDATE folder in the root. @#%$

Just for kicks, I created a folder named HOBBIT_UPDATE and moved everything into it. I tried updating again and this time it said update in progress... After a while screen went black, machine rebooted... the anticipation was killing me aaaaand version 1.9 still.

#4735 5 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

I just bought a black arrow, but have a problem, I can hear feedback in the sound, like from the computer, I checked the audio plug but does not seem to be the issue? Smaug does not seem to work right either, seems flaky like sometimes he turns and sometimes he does not when he's supposed to?

Interesting ... my Black Arrow exhibits the exact same behavior; I've so far ignored it and assumed its normal...but realistically I have no idea what "normal" is.

#4736 5 years ago
Quoted from Ransom99:

The instructions on JJP's site say that the update should start when you turn the machine on but it just boots like usual.

That is for a Full Install. Delta update is different.

I would download a fresh version, nothing else on the stick, then try the delta update. You might need a different USB stick too.

LTG : )

#4737 5 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

I can hear feedback in the sound, like from the computer, I checked the audio plug but does not seem to be the issue?

Contact JJP to get a ground loop isolator.

Quoted from twinmice:

Smaug does not seem to work right either, seems flaky like sometimes he turns and sometimes he does not when he's supposed to?

Be sure he isn't rubbing the ramps or anything around him .You may need to loosen things, move slightly, and reassemble.

#4738 5 years ago

I tried a ground loop isolator. I found it made the some go away but then I could hear any of the call outs :/

#4739 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That is for a Full Install. Delta update is different.
I would download a fresh version, nothing else on the stick, then try the delta update. You might need a different USB stick too.

I'll try downloading 2.0 again and see if that does the trick. I've tried 3 sticks so far, all reformatted fat32. Multiple computers read the sticks fine. All come back saying such n such file already exists. I've tried replacing and not replacing and neither method works. I'll report back when after trying again with a fresh download.

Quoted from wolv3:

I tried a ground loop isolator. I found it made the some go away but then I could hear any of the call outs :/

You sound like me from 2016. The sound I had is what I call static coming through my speakers. The noise first starts at bootup (which is standard I thinkj... no problem with that) but then carries over into normal operating mode. At that point is sort of sounds like someone mowing their lawn a few houses down lol. JJP sent me the isolator (didn't work) and some fresh cables (also didn't work) but we ended up bypassing whatever that middle portion was and went directly to the sound card which made the sound go away.

Maybe 50 seconds in.

#4740 5 years ago
Quoted from Ransom99:

I'll try downloading 2.0 again and see if that does the trick. I've tried 3 sticks so far, all reformatted fat32. Multiple computers read the sticks fine. All come back saying such n such file already exists.

I could be mistaken, but once you do a raw copy of the .iso image file to the USB drive, it's unlikely that any Windows based computer will be able to recognize this newly formatted drive and should report the drive is unformatted. If you don't know what I'm talking about please review the Full Install instructions http://159.203.76.48/general/install-full/ as you aren't simply copying a file to a thumb drive, you are building a bootable USB drive.

Please pay particular attention to not rebooting your PC with the thumb drive installed as I believe it will attempt to identify the disk mapped to /dev/sda and use it to install your game code...Since the Linux boot loader (Anaconda) is extraordinarily adaptive to new hardware environments its VERY LIKELY that it will successfully identify your computer hardware and overwrite your hard disk in order to transform your PC into a Hobbit Pinball Computer.

#4741 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I could be mistaken, but once you do a raw copy of the .iso image file to the USB drive, it's unlikely that any Windows based computer will be able to recognize this newly formatted drive and should report the drive is unformatted. If you don't know what I'm talking about please review the Full Install instructions http://159.203.76.48/general/install-full/ as you aren't simply copying a file to a thumb drive, you are building a bootable USB drive.
Please pay particular attention to not rebooting your PC with the thumb drive installed as I believe it will attempt to identify the disk mapped to /dev/sda and use it to install your game code...Since the Linux boot loader (Anaconda) is extraordinarily adaptive to new hardware environments its VERY LIKELY that it will successfully identify your computer hardware and overwrite your hard disk in order to transform your PC into a Hobbit Pinball Computer.

I'm only at 3.1/5.5 gigs so I've still got time lol.
Those were the instructions I'd been following. Using Minitool partition wizard, I reformat my thumbdrives to to Fat32. Open Unetbootin and proceed to move the downloaded file to my thumb drive. 3/4 of the way through is where the error message pops up asking do I want to replace syslinux/menu.c32. I've tried replacing it and doing the update in the pinball machine and I've tried not replacing but rather skipping the duplicate file. I'm still able to see all the files I've put on the thumb drive after using unetbootin. What else you got for me?

#4742 5 years ago
Quoted from Ransom99:

What else you got for me?

If you have a linux computer you don't require any additional software to build the boot drive, you can just use dd to create it ...

usage dd if=<input file> of=<path to raw drive>

where "if" is the full path to the Input File and "of" is the Path to the raw device....drive must be unmounted as a raw copy is required, any and all formating on the original drive will be overwritten.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I have not performed these procedure on the Hobbit nor have I ever used the UNETBOOTIN software. That being said, these procedures are VERY similar to CGC full install procedures, they just recommend different Windows software for rebuilding the disk image.

#4743 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

If you have a linux computer you don't require any additional software to build the boot drive, you can just use dd to create it ...
usage dd if=<input file> of=<path to raw drive>
where if is the path to the Input File and of is the Path to the raw device....drive must be unmounted as a raw copy is required, any and all forating on the original drive will be overwritten.

All windows here D:

5.2/5.5 I'm almost there heh heh. This speed is killing me

#4744 5 years ago
Quoted from Ransom99:

All windows here D:

5.2/5.5 I'm almost there heh heh. This speed is killing me

Yeah unfortunately the raw disc copy overwrites all data, including blank space, in order to create an identical copy of the original; this is what makes it so slow.

#4745 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Yeah unfortunately the raw disc copy overwrites all data, including blank space, in order to create an identical copy of the original; this is what makes it so slow.

sorry for the confusion lol I was talking about my download speed. We're with the phone company and I get like 12-20mbps down. I'm filming my next attempt in case anyone can point out something I've done wrong.

After 15minutes of filming I get to the moment of truth. Update started on bootup... I guess it was just a bad download. !@#$%
I don't know if it makes a difference but I selected the EU version this time since I tried the US version first.

The odd thing though was I still got the duplicate file exists message again. I chose overwrite and things seem to be working but I still don't get why no one else seems to be having that issue. I'm tempted to upload the video to show what I mean

#4746 5 years ago
Quoted from Ransom99:

I'll try downloading 2.0 again and see if that does the trick. I've tried 3 sticks so far, all reformatted fat32. Multiple computers read the sticks fine. All come back saying such n such file already exists. I've tried replacing and not replacing and neither method works. I'll report back when after trying again with a fresh download.

You sound like me from 2016. The sound I had is what I call static coming through my speakers. The noise first starts at bootup (which is standard I thinkj... no problem with that) but then carries over into normal operating mode. At that point is sort of sounds like someone mowing their lawn a few houses down lol. JJP sent me the isolator (didn't work) and some fresh cables (also didn't work) but we ended up bypassing whatever that middle portion was and went directly to the sound card which made the sound go away.
» YouTube video
Maybe 50 seconds in.

I'll have to give that a try, thanks!

#4747 5 years ago
Quoted from Ransom99:

sorry for the confusion lol I was talking about my download speed. We're with the phone company and I get like 12-20mbps down. I'm filming my next attempt in case anyone can point out something I've done wrong.

Once you get the file, test it with a checksum tester and make sure it matches the checksum posted. It important to know that you have all of the data and a proper file.
On a slow download sometimes there are a lot of errors.

#4748 5 years ago
Quoted from Ransom99:

oh my.

#4749 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Once you get the file, test it with a hashtag tester and make sure it matches the *checksum* posted. It important to know that you have all of the data and a proper file.
On a slow download sometimes there are a lot of errors.

I like to use Rufus for creating the ISO. It will also show you the MD5 checksum of the image. Only downside is that it's Windows-only.
https://rufus.akeo.ie/

2.00 ISO image MD5 checksum: a670ded221227353838f4c0ead04e741

After selecting the ISO file, click the check mark in the circle next to the SELECT button.

--Ted

#4750 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

I like to use Rufus for creating the ISO. It will also show you the MD5 checksum of the image. Only downside is that it's Windows-only.
https://rufus.akeo.ie/
2.00 ISO image MD5 checksum: a670ded221227353838f4c0ead04e741
After selecting the ISO file, click the check mark in the circle next to the SELECT button.
--Ted

Thank you Ted for correcting my post I haven't had my coffee yet this morning when I wrote it LOL

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/95?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.