Topic Stats

• 7,892 posts
  • 518 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 192 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,152 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0EBF61C9-860A-4237-84E3-A4810907060F (resized).jpeg
95937948-C10C-4118-BF50-2D83A8119265 (resized).jpeg
AC977F7C-F4EB-4A21-B065-77BD8B30E6E4 (resized).jpeg
61188774-F72B-48E1-B400-8118BD7D7A90 (resized).jpeg
3E1B9990-8695-4EF7-9CF7-334A53871163 (resized).jpeg
96A279BA-D769-4927-A255-614370D13582 (resized).jpeg
D42E605B-56D9-49C5-A6C0-0C8B2251718A (resized).jpeg
Castle (resized).png
IMG_20191027_094800 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_092217 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090807 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091030 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091023 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0012 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7892 posts in this topic. You are on page 93 of 158.
#4601 1 year ago

Too much multiball action. Needs to be toned down.
After one decent game, hands hurt as well. That just shouldn't be.

#4602 1 year ago

I love the long battles with the machine and all of the multiballs. That intense work out is a total blast and adrenaline rush to me. Then I'll go and play a different game for the contrast. Like others have said, scoring is secondary to me, but completing the modes is the challenge. I say put in a setting to not allow the last second book mode changes with the flippers to get to the easiest ones. Now you have more variety and a tougher challenge for those in need of that.

I'd still like to see a list of what people think the "easiest" book modes are in case I feel like taking advantage of that way of stacking it in my favor.

#4603 1 year ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I love the long battles with the machine and all of the multiballs. That intense work out is a total blast and adrenaline rush to me. Then I'll go and play a different game for the contrast. Like others have said, scoring is secondary to me, but completing the modes is the challenge. I say put in a setting to not allow the last second book mode changes with the flippers to get to the easiest ones. Now you have more variety and a tougher challenge for those in need of that.
I'd still like to see a list of what people think the "easiest" book modes are in case I feel like taking advantage of that way of stacking it in my favor.

The one ring mode is my favorite.

#4604 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The one ring mode is my favorite.

Seriously? It’s a one shot hurry-up. THAT is your favorite mode out of all of the extremely creative modes???

#4605 1 year ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Seriously? It’s a one shot hurry-up. THAT is your favorite mode out of all of the extremely creative modes???

Sometimes you just want to get that mode rune over with, and start the mini wizard mode

#4606 1 year ago

I love the variety of modes in Hobbit and the multiple stages of Smaug MB and the 3 Arkenstone modes. However, the rinse and repeat tasks as others mentioned for each Arkenstone attempt seems like a grind and after a while gets old.

Also, there's currently no incentive or noticeable reward for completing multiple modes, only 1 needs to be completed for each Arkenstone mode attempt. For a game that has more mores then any in production pin this doesn't make sense. I would like to at least have the option to select how many modes need to be completed for each Arkenstone attempt. A reward system for beating sets of modes (example, man, elf, dwarf) would also be welcoming and add a more rewarding feeling to the game.

I hope these concerns are addressed somewhat in the big upcoming update.

#4607 1 year ago

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the music. Some of the modes have the most epic music to them. Sometimes I'll just play a mode for the music. As far as the multiple multiballs...I'm a fan. It does feel like a battle and chaos at times...and I love it. Sometimes I'm not in the mood, so I'll play another pin.

#4608 1 year ago

As far as the multiple multiballs...I'm a fan. It does feel like a battle and chaos at times...and I love it. Sometimes I'm not in the mood, so I'll play another pin.

Absolutely, the game is chaos and a battle, I'm a sucker for drop targets and love hitting the pop up beasts (even when it makes no sense). Not to mention many other things I love about this game. No question a great game and it is a work out. No time to drink a beer either.

#4609 1 year ago

Being honest here...

Quoted from PanzerFreak:I love the variety of modes in Hobbit and the multiple stages of Smaug MB and the 3 Arkenstone modes. However, the rinse and repeat tasks as others mentioned for each Arkenstone attempt seems like a grind and after a while gets old.
Also, there's currently no incentive or noticeable reward for completing multiple modes, only 1 needs to be completed for each Arkenstone mode attempt. For a game that has more mores then any in production pin this doesn't make sense. I would like to at least have the option to select how many modes need to be completed for each Arkenstone attempt. A reward system for beating sets of modes (example, man, elf, dwarf) would also be welcoming and add a more rewarding feeling to the game.
I hope these concerns are addressed somewhat in the big upcoming update.

Being honest here, I struggle to say which is my favourite mode. I would say Riddles in the Dark but only because it's my favourite bit from the book/movies. I think the part the modes play in the game at the moment means they are forgettable. This is not a criticism at the modes themselves but rather how they are integrated into the game, they are a means to an end, nothing more. There is no incentive to beat them other than to get that rune. I hope this changes as there has clearly been a massive amount of work gone into them in terms of coding/staging, video, music, etc.

Also some of the modes are just daft. One I played last night which I can't remember the name of (told you they are forgettable) where I had to bash the spider 3 times. This is one of the things that puts me off POTC, 3.25 sextillion game play variations means nothing if the player does not feel immersed in what they are doing. Sometimes less is more, Hobbit needs more purity in the modes and MBs.

#4610 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

Being honest here...

Being honest here, I struggle to say which is my favourite mode. I would say Riddles in the Dark but only because it's my favourite bit from the book/movies. I think the part the modes play in the game at the moment means they are forgettable. This is not a criticism at the modes themselves but rather how they are integrated into the game, they are a means to an end, nothing more. There is no incentive to beat them other than to get that rune. I hope this changes as there has clearly been a massive amount of work gone into them in terms of coding/staging, video, music, etc.
Also some of the modes are just daft. One I played last night which I can't remember the name of (told you they are forgettable) where I had to bash the spider 3 times. This is one of the things that puts me off POTC, 3.25 sextillion game play variations means nothing if the player does not feel immersed in what they are doing. Sometimes less is more, Hobbit needs more purity in the modes and MBs.

Also Resurgence of Sauron comes up first nearly every time, then it's just hit the right ramp half a dozen times. Again some variation is needed.

#4611 1 year ago

Interrogation for the WIN!!! "I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders." My kids beg me to play that mode.

#4612 1 year ago

My Hobbit is currently on location but my main issue with it (overall I like the game a lot and will be coming back home in the next month or two) is feeling like I need a “spotter” to know what to shoot for next especially in arkenstone modes. More call outs would be helpful imo. Basically agree with most everything said here about the modes. More bonus modes or points or something for playing and defeating the sunsets of modes and maybe using what modes have been played to determine what arkenstone mode is up next might be cool.

#4613 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

Also Resurgence of Sauron comes up first nearly every time, then it's just hit the right ramp half a dozen times. Again some variation is needed.

It’s the left ramp and you’re playing it wrong! Every switch hit during that mode raises the “jackpot” value of the shot. You have to play to maximize switch hits (I.e. spinners) while keeping an eye on the mode timer...hit the left ramp to extend time and collect value. It’s probably my favorite mode and the ambiance/sound/music are awesome on it!

Sure you could just hit the ramp 6 times in a row...if you need a rune that might be the way to go, but it’s awesome maximizing points. They are good value and worth going for too.

#4614 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

That mode can be rewarding if you hit a lot of shots as the reward value increases and then collect it at the left ramp. It's a risk reward mode which is kinda cool.

Feast Freny and Beast Frenzy really need some additional code added to them in my opinion. Right now those two modes seem rather bare compared to Smaug Multiball. I think they are intentionally designed this way and are more "hit the switch" type modes (at least Feast Frenzy). I hope that more objective based elements are added to them.

#4615 1 year ago

So finally got around to taking Smaug out. The connection with the arm, servo, and mouth looked fine. Waiting on my servo replacement, and will update if that fixes my problem .

#4616 1 year ago

Dang, with all this activity I thought new code had dropped! Oops, now I'm adding to it.

#4617 1 year ago

I'm a new owner of Hobbit, but I've put many hours on a location machine before I decided that it would be a nice addition to my collection. I'm actually surprised that there is going to be another code update as the game seems incredibly well done and is very polished to me. One thing I haven't been able to do yet is re-qualify Arkenstone after Battle of the five armies to see what comes next...if you know, please don't tell me as I want it to be a surprise if I ever make it that far. High score to date ... 4,179,239

#4618 1 year ago

Concerning more cool modes, I'll report back but Bait, Fire & Water, Interrogation, Unexpected Evil, Moon runes, Orc attack come to mind for starters.

#4619 1 year ago

I thought the newer Hobbit machines were supposed to have improved beast mechs; after only 12 games, my orc mech stopped registering hits

After removing the mech, I saw just what I expected to see, a cut wire. I soldered it back together, but I know this is a temporary fix since the issue is in the design.

DSC00467 (resized).JPG

DSC00469 (resized).JPG

#4620 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I thought the newer Hobbit machines were supposed to have improved beast mechs; after only 12 games, my orc mech stopped registering hits
After removing the mech, I saw just what I expected to see, a cut wire. I soldered it back together, but I know this is a temporary fix since the issue is in the design.

Maybe relocate the wire?

#4621 1 year ago

Hopefully they will be able to change the way you can stack all the multi balls. Maybe when you start Smaug multi ball then you can’t register any progress to other arkenston modes so you can focus on killing Smaug. The spinner would be cool to randomly pick which mode starts next. I’ve owned this pin for about a year now and only killed Smaug twice. My best score is 5mil and that was a epic 50min or so battle and adventure. This game is good as is but with a few tweaks it will be great.

#4622 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

It's very poor that a factory fix was never implemented for this. Adding a washer under the screw does the trick, there are some photos in this thread showing where they go.

#4623 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

It's very poor that a factory fix was never implemented for this. Adding a washer under the screw does the trick, there are some photos in this thread showing where they go.

Yeah, should have been corrected months ago. I also hope JJP is now using blue Loctite on the screws holding the beast character heads to the mech as those would come lose on a lot of people's games. Here's the pic of the washer installed from LTG.

59fb697b1d236c22205f3ce85173a27402f3e781 (resized).jpg

#4624 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

So what exactly are the improved beast mechs?

#4625 1 year ago
Quoted from metahugh:

So what exactly are the improved beast mechs?

Actual real beasts hiding in the game.
You have to feed them though, its still in development.

#4626 1 year ago

Anyone know of a Hobbit in good shape near Santa Clarita, CA available to play, my wife wants one but I want her to play it first and I have not seen any around. Thanks Mike

#4627 1 year ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

So finally got around to taking Smaug out. The connection with the arm, servo, and mouth looked fine. Waiting on my servo replacement, and will update if that fixes my problem .

Worked on swapping out the servo last night. Followed the instructions on how to calibrate the servo from the manual, and it doesn't work right. No matter what adjustment I make to the settings, the mouth stays closed for the duration of the test then ends by dropping open. Anyone else have an issue trying to calibrate a new servo?

#4628 1 year ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

Worked on swapping out the servo last night. Followed the instructions on how to calibrate the servo from the manual, and it doesn't work right. No matter what adjustment I make to the settings, the mouth stays closed for the duration of the test then ends by dropping open. Anyone else have an issue trying to calibrate a new servo?

Does the servo work properly without the smaug assembly attached?
Did you replace the servo controller board?

#4629 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, should have been corrected months ago. I also hope JJP is now using blue Loctite on the screws holding the beast character heads to the mech as those would come lose on a lot of people's games.

I've seen this happen...now I wish I would have used some when I put it back together

Quoted from thewool:

Adding a washer under the screw does the trick, there are some photos in this thread showing where they go.

Thanks for posting this, I only made it through half of the posts so far; perhaps this should be a key post?

#4630 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I've seen this happen...now I wish I would have used some when I put it back together

Thanks for posting this, I only made it through half of the posts so far; perhaps this should be a key post?

I would say definitely, it needs adding to all 4 mechs. I lost two beasts withing about 4 weeks of ownership. I feel bad for not mentioning it to you as soon as you joined the club, just thought the factory would have addressed it by now.

#4631 1 year ago

Not sure how many Hobbit owners joined tonight's POTC Twitch feed - which is looking amazing by the way. But I asked Keith in the chat for any teasers on the Hobbit code update. He said he's joining the Head2Head pinball podcast very soon and said to stay tuned! Hopefully he drops some clues on what we can expect.

#4632 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

Not sure how many Hobbit owners joined tonight's POTC Twitch feed - which is looking amazing by the way. But I asked Keith in the chat for any teasers on the Hobbit code update. He said he's joining the Head2Head pinball podcast very soon and said to stay tuned! Hopefully he drops some clues on what we can expect.

Awesome, thanks for asking the question and posting!

#4633 1 year ago

Anybody ever experience their monitors going out? Screens just went dark, returned after powering game off and back on again!

#4634 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/254787722##

At the 50 minute mark Keith addresses thewoolpins question regarding the hobbit code

#4635 1 year ago
Quoted from Goronic:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/254787722##
At the 50 minute mark Keith addresses thewoolpins question regarding the hobbit code

Thanks. Keith said he would be talking to those guys in a half hour at that point so should be able to listen to the podcast somewhat soon.

#4636 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Does the servo work properly without the smaug assembly attached?
Did you replace the servo controller board?

I got it all setup and workin perfect now. Feel like the instructions for calibrating were reversed, as I had to do a lot of adjusting to get the servo motor in the right position. Didn’t need to replace the board.

#4637 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks. Keith said he would be talking to those guys in a half hour at that point so should be able to listen to the podcast somewhat soon.

Yes, we talked about the Hobbit code a decent amount. Whats changing, what is being redone, wizard mode, etc.
Interview is almost 2 hours because we talk ALOT. It will be up on http://head2headpinball.com on Monday morning/afternoon US time

#4638 1 year ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Yes, we talked about the Hobbit code a decent amount. Whats changing, what is being redone, wizard mode, etc.
Interview is almost 2 hours because we talk ALOT. It will be up on http://head2headpinball.com on Monday morning/afternoon US time

Quoted from FalconPunch:

SUPER TRIPLE JACKPOT!!! Can't wait for Monday!

#4639 1 year ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Ultimate tease. A+.

#4640 1 year ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Awesome, can't wait! Thanks.

#4641 1 year ago

New Code coming! AW YEAH!!!!!

#4642 1 year ago
Quoted from Bendit:

New Code coming! AW YEAH!!!!!

Yeah when I read "Whats changing, what is being redone, wizard mode, etc." it makes it sound like JJP has been listening to the dozens of similar code concerns from Hobbit owners. This is great to hear.

#4643 1 year ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

I massively hate you right now but will 180 on Monday!

#4644 1 year ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Genuinely excited. I was honestly worried my beloved pin wouldn't get another update.

#4645 1 year ago

I have one Hobbit SE gold Smaug nib with radcals if anyone is looking for one. Also we have black arrows available. We are a JJP distributor based out of Michigan.

#4646 1 year ago

Heads up, the latest Head2Head podcast is up! Will be listening soon.

#4647 1 year ago

Here's a summary of what Keith said about the Hobbit and the changes coming to the game on the latest Head2Head pinball podcast. Sounds like very cool and welcoming changes. Please listen to the podcast as there's a lot of interesting information in it from Keith from over the course of his career.

1. Said with the Hobbit they put a ton of crap into the game, didn't want to make it the same as LOTR. Said JJP went over the top with 31 mode idea and that the whole point of the game is to give you unprecedented breadth of playability. Compared WOZ as LOTR 2.0, Hobbit as WOF 2.0.

2. Said there's so much different stuff to do in the game. Mentioned Hobbit multiballs are no slouch, said Into the Fire has 5 stages, Barrel Escape 3 or 5, and Battle of the Five armies 7 stages. Keith compared the multiball stages of the Arkenstone modes to individual modes and really the Hobbit can be considered to have 40+ modes.

Code changes

1. There and Back Again is the name of the super wizard mode. Doesn't want to give too much away but it will concentrate on beating all 31 modes. Mentioned he doesn't know if it will tie everything together (could be referring to also having to beat Arkenstone modes in addition to beat all book modes)

2. Scoring tweaks for a lot of stuff

3. Beast Multiball is being rewritten by Joe Katz and he started working on it last week. Keith said Beast MB will be a lot better

4. Behavior of game changing somewhat. The 31 book modes will have a star raiting assigned to them, 1-5. The number of stars you have completed going into an Arkenstone mode works into bonus. Also, the highest star mode beat affects scoring of your next qualified wizard mode. For example the One Ring mode, an easier mode, will likely be assigned 1 star and Keith said if that is the mode completed when you go into an Arkenstone mode your bonus won't be as high compared to going into it with a 4, or 5 star mode completed.

All of these changes sound awesome and in my opinion will lead to the Hobbit having a master code ruleset on the levels of WOZ and LOTR

#4648 1 year ago

Would have been nice if they asked about timeframes for releasing the update.

#4649 1 year ago

That was a great interview with Keith. I am re-energized about my Hobbit. If people have not listened to the pod cast before, this is the one to start with!!!

Love Marty and Ryan

#4650 1 year ago

The whole star raiting bonus concept sounds very cool as it creates a reason for completing multiple modes.
With the new code someone could complete 3 one or two star modes, and reach all 3 Arkenstone modes.
However, there's a good chance a player with more modes completed, and higher star rated modes completed, can play 1 Arkenstone mode and get a higher score then the player that rushes to reach all 3. Can't wait.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springboro, OH
There are 7892 posts in this topic. You are on page 93 of 158.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside