IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,993 posts in this topic. You are on page 92 of 260.
#4551 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I dont think replacing the whole assembly is in order.
The little pc board and the servo are easily replaceable parts.
The whole assembly comes out pretty easy for testing.

Hopefully you are right - do you know the part to order from JJP to replace the servo?

#4552 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Hopefully you are right - do you know the part to order from JJP to replace the servo?

From the manual:

smaug parts list (resized).JPGsmaug parts list (resized).JPG

#4553 6 years ago

This is the servo you need. Cheap and simple to find. I had to replace it in my machine as well.

IMG_20180418_075828 (resized).jpgIMG_20180418_075828 (resized).jpg

#4554 5 years ago

So it looks like part #: 23-5007-00 ?

#4555 5 years ago
Quoted from TakeOff:

This is the servo you need. Cheap and simple to find. I had to replace it in my machine as well.

Where did you get that servo?

#4557 5 years ago
Quoted from TakeOff:

Looks like a standard rc car servo. When I was in the rc hobby I would just rebuild the gears inside the servo but buying one should be pretty cheap.

#4558 5 years ago

I put a filter in mine. Super easy and cheap fix.

#4559 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

Check the switches in Switch Test. Manually raise/lower the drop targets and observe if they change on the display. Also check the Kili Spinner and Bag End switches; they are connected to the same opto driver board.
Here is what the ELF target switches look like when the drop targets are down:

And here they are when the targets are up:

--Ted

It shows green for up on system while are physically down. I no longer can raise them manually by testing the coil... in fact no coil responds now though play remains the same.

Photo below

20180417_222359 (resized).jpg20180417_222359 (resized).jpg

#4560 5 years ago
Quoted from cerberusdog:

It shows green for up on system while are physically down. I no longer can raise them manually by testing the coil... in fact no coil responds now though play remains the same.
Photo below

In switch test do any switches fail? Test them all, all over the game.
Turn power off.
Raise the playfield, lean it onto the back box.
Visually inspect any and all wires near the drop targets. Are they all connected? Gently comb thru the harness with your fingers and see if anything seems loose.
Make sure that the connections to the pc board are snug by wiggling them and re-inserting them.

#4561 5 years ago
Quoted from cerberusdog:

Photo below

I suspect the reason that the coils aren't responding is because of the coin door interlock switch. There are two switches inside the cabinet by the coin door hinge. The top one is the interlock switch. You can pull it out to turn it on while the door is open.

From the your photo, I see that Kili Spinner and Bag End switches are OPEN. There is something wrong with your opto switch driver board for that entire column. Check the connectors on that board.

--Ted

#4562 5 years ago

I finally did it...Purchased a NIB Hobbit Black Arrow (mfg 03/2018) and LOVE IT; what a great game! This is my first time viewing this thread, with over 4K posts its gonna take me awhile to catch up.

DSC00458 (resized).JPGDSC00458 (resized).JPG
DSC00454-B (resized).jpgDSC00454-B (resized).jpg

#4563 5 years ago

I had two friends over to play pinball for the first time in over 20 years. We had a blast and played Hobbit and drank bourbon from 9 PM to 2 AM. They absolutely were blown away with the way pinball looks and plays today. Amazing lights, sounds, and music...they were both in their early fifties and were smiling and laughing like kids.

It took a few games to get the rules down, and then they couldn't get enough!

#4564 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I finally did it...Purchased a NIB Hobbit Black Arrow (mfg 03/2018) and LOVE IT; what a great game! This is my first time viewing this thread, with over 4K posts its gonna take me awhile to catch up.

Congrats on the new game and welcome to the club! There's a lot of good info in this thread about the game.

Quoted from Goronic:

I had two friends over to play pinball for the first time in over 20 years. We had a blast and played Hobbit and drank bourbon from 9 PM to 2 AM. They absolutely were blown away with the way pinball looks and plays today. Amazing lights, sounds, and music...they were both in their early fifties and were smiling and laughing like kids.
It took a few games to get the rules down, and then they couldn't get enough!

That's awesome, sounds like a fun night!

#4565 5 years ago

Congrats on joining the club. Have had mine for over a year now and still love it. Watch the YouTube video on how to defeat Smaug, but don't watch the very end...save that part for yourself.

#4566 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Congrats and welcome

#4567 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

I suspect the reason that the coils aren't responding is because of the coin door interlock switch. There are two switches inside the cabinet by the coin door hinge. The top one is the interlock switch. You can pull it out to turn it on while the door is open.
From the your photo, I see that Kili Spinner and Bag End switches are OPEN. There is something wrong with your opto switch driver board for that entire column. Check the connectors on that board.
--Ted

Thank you Ted and Pinballinreno. I found it. Just like you said it was the harness connector to one of the boards not connected. It actually came all the way loose when I raised it this time. It was not clear cut following the wires. They twisted around through a zip tie holding what I guess is most of the wires in the game and returned back to attach to its board. I guess they did that to get the angle. I guess this newb will get better.

I want to thank you experienced people for patiently helping me. I will pay it forward when I learn. I am sorry I didn't respond but I was sick with the actual flu.

Thank you very much

#4568 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Is it just the pic or is Pin_Guy’s translite MUCH more vivid and colorful than others? Is that a mod I can get?

#4569 5 years ago
Quoted from cerberusdog:

Thank you Ted and Pinballinreno. I found it. Just like you said it was the harness connector to one of the boards not connected. It actually came all the way loose when I raised it this time. It was not clear cut following the wires. They twisted around through a zip tie holding what I guess is most of the wires in the game and returned back to attach to its board. I guess they did that to get the angle. I guess this newb will get better.
I want to thank you experienced people for patiently helping me. I will pay it forward when I learn. I am sorry I didn't respond but I was sick with the actual flu.
Thank you very much

You are very welcome.
Congrats on your first successful troubleshooting and repair!
Nice job!

#4570 5 years ago

Welcome PinGuy!! Always good to have you in a thread

Buy the way there is a Hobbit code coming so you joined the club just at the right time!

#4571 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

They absolutely were blown away with the way pinball looks and plays today. Amazing lights, sounds, and music...they were both in their early fifties and were smiling and laughing like kids.

Sounds like a wonderful time and this is what its all about!

#4572 5 years ago

Here's the quote from Keith about the upcoming Hobbit update from the last JJP livestream Sounds like great news and that it should be a substantial update.

"There's a Hobbit update in the works, its been worked on by Ted a lot the last couple months. After pirates is done we will finish up everything else we are going to finish up on it and roll it out with the latest operating system."

#4573 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here's the quote from Keith about the upcoming Hobbit update from the last JJP livestream Sounds like great news and that it should be a substantial update.
"There's a Hobbit update in the works, its been worked on by Ted a lot the last couple months. After pirates is done we will finish up everything else we are going to finish up on it and roll it out with the latest operating system."

Latest operating system?

#4574 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

After pirates is done

We might have to wait a bit longer I think.

#4575 5 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Latest operating system?

Could be just OS version number, maybe an update to the OS or to the platform in general.

Quoted from pinballinreno:

We might have to wait a bit longer I think.

The wait sounds like it will be worth considering Ted Estes, one of the best pinball programmers, has been working on it a lot for the last couple months. Factor his work in plus what is to come from Keith, Joe, etc and it should be one hell of a code update I hope.

#4576 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Could be just OS version number, maybe an update to the OS or to the platform in general.

The wait sounds like it will be worth considering Ted Estes, one of the best pinball programmers, has been working on it a lot for the last couple months. Factor his work in plus what is to come from Keith, Joe, etc and it should be one hell of a code update I hope.

Plus the bones of this game are just crazy good - love the modes - can't wait to experience them a little more in depth.

#4577 5 years ago

Just heard this from Jacks Flip Expo 2018 interview with Pinball News

"The Hobbit is getting another big software update, we've been working on that. It's a commitment to making the best products we can make"

#4578 5 years ago

Does anyone's Smaug ball lock magnet actually stop the ball? I can't think of the last time mine did.

#4579 5 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Does anyone's Smaug ball lock magnet actually stop the ball? I can't think of the last time mine did.

Mine stops it 99 times out of 100. Seems like it only misses it when the ball is going really fast. Be careful testing it - as I burned mine out quickly and had to replace it.

#4580 5 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Mine stops it most times probably around 80 percent, the other times are fast moving balls.

#4581 5 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

About 75/80% of the time it stops the ball but gas trouble with the fast ball.

#4582 5 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Mine has never failed.
It may be that the your flippers are set too high or the pitch is too great?

Or it's not working?

#4583 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just heard this from Jacks Flip Expo 2018 interview with Pinball News
"The Hobbit is getting another big software update, we've been working on that. It's a commitment to making the best products we can make"

That’s great, can‘t wait for it!

#4584 5 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

That’s great, can‘t wait for it!

That's tremendous news indeed!

#4585 5 years ago

Just want to share my new Hobbit topper designed by 2Niro Mods

20180401_221428 (resized).jpg20180401_221428 (resized).jpg

20180402_005952 (resized).jpg20180402_005952 (resized).jpg

20180402_013415 (resized).jpg20180402_013415 (resized).jpg

#4586 5 years ago
Quoted from Celofane:

Just want to share my new Hobbit topper designed by 2Niro Mods

That's cool. Does the colour change at all or just permanently lit? Also how much was it if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks.

#4587 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

That's cool. Does the colour change at all or just permanently lit? Also how much was it if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks.

Permanently but with a flickering effect of the blade
My first idea was to light the blade only on the Orc and Goblin pop but...

#4588 5 years ago
Quoted from Celofane:

Permanently but with a flickering effect of the blade
My first idea was to light the blade only on the Orc and Goblin pop but...
» YouTube video

I like that effect a lot! Are 2Niro selling these or is this a one off?

#4589 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I like that effect a lot! Are 2Niro selling these or is this a one off?

Good question ! Unique piece for the moment

I already had the sword in my pocession and I suggested my idea of topper. He did the rest (he's a friend of mine) I can ask if you want.

#4590 5 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

Mine stops it most times probably around 80 percent, the other times are fast moving balls.

Same - I always just tell myself it's a supposed to do that. Darn it now I know

#4591 5 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Demagnetized or change the balls

#4592 5 years ago

FYI - Per Jonathan's podcast with Jack https://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/flip-expo-2018-jack-guarnieri-olympic-goblin_126676 at the 49:06 mark Jack advises that "the Hobbit is getting another big software update". No time frame as to when it will happen is advised though!

#4593 5 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Latest operating system?

In addition to updating the game files, it's very possible that JJP is updating drivers for the Intel Chipset (motherboard) that the game is using, and/or JJP is updating the drivers that Linux is running on. I know that the sound overlap "stutters" were blamed on the Intel Chipset. Maybe it addresses that?

If you're going to release a big software update, it's customary to also update the computer drivers in the same package. Cheers.

#4594 5 years ago

Played an epic game of Hobbit last night making it to the Five Armies (unfortunately Smaug survived my failed attempt to kill him along the way) with my daughter calling out the shots. It got me thinking. Do I really want this game to change with the code update? It does seem that once you make it past the Five Armies and have played all Arkenstone modes, there should be something else and then of course, a definitive Wizard mode for completing all Arkenstone modes and killing Smaug (+/- all modes...that would be a major undertaking). But I don't know if I want a change to the current ruleset that may change how Arkenstone modes are qualified, etc. I had a blast last night. I was setting things up to stack or not stack based on what I had left. I was locking two balls in Smaug and then starting an Arkenstone mode so that when it was finished, I'd only have one lock left (since they get progressively harder as you go). I think that what I'd like added is some different scoring potential. I guess when I feel I can master the game, then I can try to maximize the score. Right now, score doesn't really matter, I'm more focused on progression. I've only completed Into the Fire and have been one shot away from completing the victory laps. I've not completed Barrell Escape or Five Armies. So, right now I have plenty of goals left. Just some thoughts as I know a lot of people have said they wanted a change in the current ruleset. I thought I did, but after last night, no...I don't think I do. Just add a wizard mode and a Valinor-ish wizard mode for those who really want a lofty goal to achieve. In any case, this game is nothing but a great time. I've had it for over a year now, and it just feels so good to get into it and it is pure ecstasy to fall into the zone and have an epic game. Truly feels like a battle. Last night in Five Armies my daughter shouted, "now bash 20 beasts!" Holy smokes, I thought, that's a lot of beasts to kill...felt like I was fighting a war...or a battle for the mountain. This game truly puts you in the story.

#4595 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Played an epic game of Hobbit last night making it to the Five Armies (unfortunately Smaug survived my failed attempt to kill him along the way) with my daughter calling out the shots. It got me thinking. Do I really want this game to change with the code update? It does seem that once you make it past the Five Armies and have played all Arkenstone modes, there should be something else and then of course, a definitive Wizard mode for completing all Arkenstone modes and killing Smaug (+/- all modes...that would be a major undertaking). But I don't know if I want a change to the current ruleset that may change how Arkenstone modes are qualified, etc. I had a blast last night. I was setting things up to stack or not stack based on what I had left. I was locking two balls in Smaug and then starting an Arkenstone mode so that when it was finished, I'd only have one lock left (since they get progressively harder as you go). I think that what I'd like added is some different scoring potential. I guess when I feel I can master the game, then I can try to maximize the score. Right now, score doesn't really matter, I'm more focused on progression. I've only completed Into the Fire and have been one shot away from completing the victory laps. I've not completed Barrell Escape or Five Armies. So, right now I have plenty of goals left. Just some thoughts as I know a lot of people have said they wanted a change in the current ruleset. I thought I did, but after last night, no...I don't think I do. Just add a wizard mode and a Valinor-ish wizard mode for those who really want a lofty goal to achieve. In any case, this game is nothing but a great time. I've had it for over a year now, and it just feels so good to get into it and it is pure ecstasy to fall into the zone and have an epic game. Truly feels like a battle. Last night in Five Armies my daughter shouted, "now bash 20 beasts!" Holy smokes, I thought, that's a lot of beasts to kill...felt like I was fighting a war...or a battle for the mountain. This game truly puts you in the story.

How long did your game last? I had a epic game a few weeks ago and it was about 55min’s long.

#4596 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

You have good points, but I think I would like a slightly different process for qualifying that would keep the rinse and repeat down. Love the modes - but hate having to do the same things over for each mini wizard mode. I welcome anything that JJP does to enhance the game.

#4597 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

To be honest I don't think the core of the game, which is what you are describing, will change. I just hope it will be enhanced/deepened/integrated, in addition to the wizard mode being added.

Some variety would be nice though... after a huge game I sometimes can't bring myself to press start and do nigh-on exactly the same thing again. I hope a code update can weave in some creativity somewhere.

#4598 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

To be honest I don't think the core of the game, which is what you are describing, will change. I just hope it will be enhanced/deepened/integrated, in addition to the wizard mode being added.
Some variety would be nice though... after a huge game I sometimes can't bring myself to press start and do nigh-on exactly the same thing again. I hope a code update can weave in some creativity somewhere.

I agree - the number of modes help. But that is just 1/5 of the qualifying. 4/5 of it are the exact same. Really hurts the 'one more game' when you are going to have to qualify the same again, and again.

#4599 5 years ago

I'd like to see the Modes matter more, like there would be a reason to focus on completing one mode for each of the characters. Or "play all Gandalf modes and complete 50%" and you get a Gandalf Mini Wizard mode. You'd also probably end up with an Arkenstone mode (or two) along the way and it would give you a whole choose-your-own-adventure vibe.

#4600 5 years ago

I like the idea of completing a set of modes (Gandalf, man. Radagast, etc) and having a mini wizard mode. That would be awesome. As far as the same qualifiers for Arkenstone models, I don't mind it so much because it takes me more than one Smaug multiball to kill him. My big game only lasted about 30 min. I got to five armies but only had a 1.5 million score. Hate to tell you how quickly my Barrell escape drained. My Grand champ score is 3+ million. Not sure how long that game lasted, but my hands hurt so much I had to stop for the night!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hardware
Pinball Haven

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

There are 12,993 posts in this topic. You are on page 92 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/92?hl=wolv3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.