IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,995 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 260.
#4101 6 years ago

Edit: Meant this statement to go with previous post so moved it there.

#4102 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I created a couple of diagrams that compares the basic game progression of the Hobbit to LOTR. The Hobbit has a ton of stuff in it but I think the charts show what makes LOTR a masterpiece and the Hobbit look like unfulfilled potential.
You can see that LOTR requires you to "beat" at least 8 game stages to reach Valinor. You can also see that almost every stage advances the game in some way. The exception being There and Back Again.
The Hobbit only requires you to beat 1 mode to get to a Rune wizard mode. You can also see that each stage only advances towards a Rune mode. Once that Rune mode is played, it's rinse and repeat to get to the next one. The only reason to beat anything (other than one mode per cycle) is to get points.

Very cool diagrams, nice job! I hear ya about The Hobbit having unfulfilled potential. To be fair The Hobbit diagram could be 3x as large as all objectives need to be completed to reach the 3 Arkenstone modes.

The main issues I see with The Hobbits ruleset are...

1. Having to repeat all the same qualifiers for each Arkenstone mode.
A. It would be nice to see a twist on each of the qualifiers for the second and third Arkenstone mode attempts. Another idea would be to require X number of modes to be beat for the second and third Arkenstone modes. Reach the first Arkenstone mode? Great. Now you have to beat 10x modes for the second, and 20x for the third. That would help make completing modes feel more rewarding. Would be nice as an adjustable setting in the menu ("Modes required for Arkenstone 1", "Modes Required Completed for Arkenstone 2", "Modes Required to be Completed for Arkenstone 3")

2. Completing sets of the man, elf, and dwarf modes as well as well as counts (5, 10, 15, etc) doesn't offer any reward
A. A gift of the elves types reward system would solve this. The game has 30+ book modes yet only 1 needs to be completed for each Arkenstone mode and that's it?

3. Lack of a final wizard mode
A. We know this is coming per Keiths comments

As it stands today The Hobbit feels like a great game that isn't complete yet could still be a masterpiece once it is.

#4103 6 years ago

The single elements of the hobbit game design are awesome. No game has better modes that are so deep tied in the theme. But the way they are combined don't feel as it should be. In my opinion in this game are the best modes in pinball history but I always try to start the easiest one, cause that is all I need to do to get to the next mini wizard mode. I only go into the harder modes when I am lazy in selecting an easy one or if I just want to have fun with a certain mode. I like the way Dwight gave us different ways with SW way better. I set Mode stacking to off on SW. I like to concentrate on one mode. But I like how you can choose your way. That's what I want in the hobbit, there should be different ways and short cuts to the deeper Mini Wizard Modes in the hobbit.
The Hobbit should be a game that puts his weight into the modes. They are what make this game great. But it's multi ball stacked with multi ball. And the modes are as important as the spinners or the Beast MB and so it becomes repetive.
I don't get the criticism about layout, if it's a bad layout than Keith did his best to make the best out of it, the modes are genious done and fun to play!!! But you just don't have to play them the game is not centered around them.
Like I said, the parts of this game are better than anything out there but I don't like the way they are put together. Hobbit as it is now is a very good game but it feels unfinished. That's why I will wait with PotC.

#4104 6 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

The single elements of the hobbit game design are awesome.

Yes, you can see how all the elements are there. Right now all the lights and mechs work. The regular and mini-wizard modes are in place. It just needs one or two more revs of code to tie everything together and make it into a more compelling game.

if I remember correctly WOZ was developed in a similar way.

#4105 6 years ago
Quoted from jespo_19:

I know Keith is crushed with code demands

So why don't they hire an additional programmer to handle the backlog of requests and issues?

I work in software, and that's common sense practice that's done every day.

Why is JJP special and different? Hire some damn coders already.

(and you know, this goes for Stern too. Tired of the software excuses)

#4106 6 years ago

As the game is on license from the film company, I'm guessing Golem can not fart without their express permission.
I think you need to give JJP a break with all the code bashing, its a great game as it stands.
If we could affect the finished product - I don't think we should start with the Hobbit - there are plenty of poorly finished and plotless games out there.
Done

#4107 6 years ago
Quoted from brg126:

I will give that a try. It was on medium, and I tried it on high with no change to the noise. Hopefully extreme does the trick.

so setting it on extreme definitely helps, as it seems to get past the noise to the shaking a bit faster. But the noise seems to still be there when it starts up. I also noticed that the rubber foot from the playfield rail is right on the shaker box, pressing down on it. Anyone remove that rubber foot?

#4108 6 years ago

Hi, I was enjoying my relatively new Hobbit until the Orc target stopped registering hits. I'm seeking advice on how to handle the repair.

1) The orc beast mech is in a *very* tight spot. I ordered a long nut driver because I was having issues removing the mech. Is it recommended to remove the wires around the mech? I do not want to break anything else. The Warg and Spider look much easier to remove.

2) From what I can tell, the wire for the target may have ripped out of the connector plug. If this is true, is there a specific pin or part I need to get the wire back into the plug? Is it just a molex pin?

3) Is there a specific fix to keep the target wires from getting pinched, or ripped apart in the future?

Thanks all!

#4109 6 years ago

Has anyone purchased & installed Rock Custom's interactive under cabinet lighting? Is it easy to install? Any reviews?

#4110 6 years ago

‘Why is JJP special and different? Hire some damn coders already.’

Since you work in software, you know that once a programmer starts coding they have their own unique style that only they can decipher. Usually due to not making proper notes in the margin so only they know what they did! Sorry, but you are stuck with Keith and he is busy. Try back next year

#4111 6 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Since you work in software, you know that once a programmer starts coding they have their own unique style

What? I *know* that they have their "style"?

Not if you make them comply with an existing framework.

Only they can decipher? What??? If that's the case, they are noobies that cannot work in a team. I think you're confusing elements of Jurassic Park (the movie) with the real world of production-grade software.

Your argument for not hiring additional coders is ludicrous. And if you have coders like what you describe in your team, you need to fire them and educate yourself about hiring proper and professional Computer Systems Analysts. I can assist, I've been doing this professionally all my life. PM me. Cheers.

#4112 6 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Has anyone purchased & installed Rock Custom's interactive under cabinet lighting? Is it easy to install? Any reviews?

I have one on the way for WOZ. In a month or two, I'll get the TH version.

#4113 6 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

‘Why is JJP special and different? Hire some damn coders already.’
Since you work in software, you know that once a programmer starts coding they have their own unique style that only they can decipher. Usually due to not making proper notes in the margin so only they know what they did! Sorry, but you are stuck with Keith and he is busy. Try back next year

That's not how coding works...I'm a software engineer and analyze others code every single day. Even if it has zero notes you can still understand the code with a little digging.

#4114 6 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

Hi, I was enjoying my relatively new Hobbit until the Orc target stopped registering hits. I'm seeking advice on how to handle the repair.
1) The orc beast mech is in a *very* tight spot. I ordered a long nut driver because I was having issues removing the mech. Is it recommended to remove the wires around the mech? I do not want to break anything else. The Warg and Spider look much easier to remove.
2) From what I can tell, the wire for the target may have ripped out of the connector plug. If this is true, is there a specific pin or part I need to get the wire back into the plug? Is it just a molex pin?
3) Is there a specific fix to keep the target wires from getting pinched, or ripped apart in the future?
Thanks all!

Hey it could be a leaf switch that needs adjustment but most likely your beast mech has cut the wires for that switch when it moves up and down. The solution has been discussed here before and I think it's on the key posts. When you remove the mech you need to be careful not to drop a screw as they can fall in the subway and are a PITA to retrieve.

#4115 6 years ago

Thanks, It is definitely a wire. I can see it. I read something about using a washer to help prevent cuts but no details were given.

Already almost lost a screw. Thank goodness for magnets!

#4116 6 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

I read something about using a washer to help prevent cuts but no details were given.

Maybe the picture will help.

LTG : )

washerhobbitfix (resized).jpgwasherhobbitfix (resized).jpg

#4117 6 years ago

Yea I wouldn't even touch those screws without a magnetic nut driver.

#4118 6 years ago

When I heard Keith would be programming the Hobbit, I hoped it would be like LOTR on steroids, even though he might not want to repeat a previous game.

In that spirit, I made one more diagram to compare what the Hobbit game progression might look like if it was fashioned after LOTR versus how it currently sits. I think it would be an epic adventure. What do you think, Yea or Nay?

Hobbit Game Chart Wish.pdfHobbit Game Chart Wish.pdf

Hobbit Game Chart Current.pdfHobbit Game Chart Current.pdf

#4119 6 years ago

Yea! But I trust Keith to know better how to make this game the best it could be. So I will keep it hoping he got the time someday.

#4120 6 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Yea! But I trust Keith to know better how to make this game the best it could be. So I will keep it hoping he got the time someday.

Yes, Keith must love all the arm chair game designers and programmers!

#4121 6 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I have one on the way for WOZ. In a month or two, I'll get the TH version.

Did you purchase it from Rock Custom Pinball or Mezel Mods? Did you get the deluxe version? I interfaced with Chris & he said that even though there is a deluxe version listed on his Rock Custom website, there isn't one for the Hobbit.

#4122 6 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Did you purchase it from Rock Custom Pinball or Mezel Mods? Did you get the deluxe version? I interfaced with Chris & he said that even though there is a deluxe version listed on his Rock Custom website, there isn't one for the Hobbit.

Interesting ... I bought the WOZ deluxe from Rock Custom Pinball last weekend. If there isn't a deluxe yet for Hobbit, there will be soon because he told me he could do it. He knows my long term plans (he has a list sent to him in a PM) for most of my pins and I'm splitting it up to one per month. A new DILE is on order from Joe and that will be tacked on to the end of the list once that pin arrives.

#4123 6 years ago

On the code ... Keith said he will revisit the TH code a few times now. Top priority is JJPOTC code and having 1.0 (complete) or higher code when released. That's the way it is. Seeing the progress Keith made on WOZ, he will return to TH with something good. I remember JJP (and Keith) saying that there were others coding working with him in the later stages of WOZ (when TH was coming out). So they are working as a team. Right now all effort is going into JJPOTC - that would mean as a team. I can wait for the TH (knowing what he and his team did with WOZ over time).

All the whining about TH being too easy (not too easy for me by any means), don't choose the book mode ... take what it gives you. Not so easy anymore. TH is absolutely fantastic to me. More depth for us deep divers is always wanted ... for any game.

Ted is doing a great job coding on DI. He is listening to us and trying to help (through code) with some quirks that some pins have. The JJP coders are the best from what I see, and doing great! I'd be interested to know how many lines of code are already in TH. The more complex the game is with multiple things going on at the same time and the newer technology, the more complex the code. All the nested if-then-else statements ...

Just my 2 cents.

#4124 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Maybe the picture will help.

Thanks for the picture LTG!

Looks like my wire was not clipped though, but fried. Maybe both happened and caused a short? Is that the most likely scenario here?

It is just the target connection, not a coil.

Thanks!

toast (resized).JPGtoast (resized).JPG

#4125 6 years ago
Quoted from brg126:

I just picked up a hobbit LE, so far I love it, beautiful game. But I am pretty sure it has a shaker issue. When the shaker comes on it seems to buzz, then barely shake at all. Quick shakes are heard, but not really felt. Longer shakes seem to work, almost like it is winding up.
I did a test using the coil utility, and did not get the noise. Go figure. Maybe it only comes out during slower speed shakes?

It could be that the weights in the shaker are loose make sure they are secured to their stems...

#4126 6 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

I've purchased the under-cabinet lighting for all four of my machines. On MM, TSPP, and LOTR it works perfectly. However, on The Hobbit it just stays on a constant green and never changes. I believe Chris is working on a solution, maybe a different connector but so far that's my experience.

#4127 6 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

I've purchased the under-cabinet lighting for all four of my machines. On MM, TSPP, and LOTR it works perfectly. However, on The Hobbit it just stays on a constant green and never changes. I believe Chris is working on a solution, maybe a different connector but so far that's my experience.

I have Chris' prototype on my Hobbit and it does flash colors throughout the game. Normal color is green however. Not sure why he never went further than a prototype on TH.

#4128 6 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

It is just the target connection, not a coil.

Just target.

Coil is a different connector.

#4129 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Just target.
Coil is a different connector.

Yes, I am just trying to figure out why it burnt up.

#4130 6 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

I am just trying to figure out why it burnt up.

It's that electricity thing. Even low voltage can short and burn stuff quite nicely.

#4131 6 years ago

The sound on my game cuts in and out on some sound effects and music during certain points in the gameplay. Always happens when multiple modes are stacked, during Smaug multiball and super noticeable when Smaug is killed. During the kill sequence it's like the entire music/sfx track gets clipped to being very quiet. None of my volume settings are in clipping level, and I've tried various settings. Also have tried contacting customer support who's only suggestion so far has been to reseat all connections inside and outside of the chassis, which hasn't done anything.

Anyone else have and rectify this problem? Could it be a bad sound card?

#4132 6 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

Anyone else have and rectify this problem? Could it be a bad sound card?

I'd reseat connectors first, anything to do with audio. Then try a new isolation transformer.

#4133 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd reseat connectors first, anything to do with audio. Then try a new isolation transformer.

LTG,

Definitely reseated all connections with no change. Are you talking about the ground loop isolator available on the site?

#4134 6 years ago

Are you talking about the ground loop isolator available on the site?

Yes.

#4135 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes.

I thought that was for humming and buzzing issues, which is not the issue here. Though I'm willing to give anything a try, so ordered one.

#4136 6 years ago

I thought that was for humming and buzzing issues, which is not the issue here.

Me too. I like to keep ruling things out.

#4137 6 years ago

Always happens when multiple modes are stacked, during Smaug multiball and super noticeable when Smaug is killed. During the kill sequence it's like the entire music/sfx track gets clipped to being very quiet.

from the sound designer:
Some of what you are describing is by design. For fanfares and dialog to be heard they have to turn down the music. Otherwise they would be masked. A coin-op mix does this more aggressively than a mix for a home video game. Why? Video games are typically experienced in a quiet environment. Soft sounds can be heard. A stack of sounds in the mix can be teased apart by your ears. Pinball machines are experienced in public spaces where the ambient sound masks any 'soft sounds'. You just don't hear them. So if you are to hear the music when there are no pinball event going on it needs to be loud. Then something happens. You want to hear the fanfare, you have to hear the callout. The music gets attenuated by a significant amount. This is ducking. The music is brought back before the callout is over in a way that is subtle as possible and not distracting.

Pinball machines also make loud mechanical sounds that mask soft and subtle sounds, even in a quiet space and the only machine being played. So the mix is designed to survive the challenging environment which is most common.

Every fanfare and callout in a project like The Hobbit has 'ducking' behavior. It is a compromise for a less than ideal listening environment. For a given sound asset it is possible that the six parameters that define the ducking behavior are in error. There are thousands of sound assets in The Hobbit and I have been known to make mistakes. Recently, I reviewed all the sound assets looking for these mistakes (with the aid of better diagnostics provided by Ted). Some errors were found and some asset definitions were tuned up.

In your example, regular sound effects (spinners and pops) and music are attenuated in favor of the fanfare which is Smaug's death sequence, which should be very loud and you should not have noticed that I lowered the volume of the music. If Smaug's death sequence is not center stage then there is a problem... I will review this.

These changes will be made available in a future update.

The Hobbit is also a most challenging project for sound. The epic music created by Two Steps From Hell is already very dense and full. If a player is to notice the fanfare and callout that go with a scoring event I have to carve out a sonic space for them and this will be a bit rude, but so was the interaction (the ball is wild) that caused it.

Always happens when multiple modes are stacked,

One other challenge to interactive audio is mixing when there is nobody there (no audio engineer). During stacked events a lot of 'big events' that have big sounds can occur at the same time. If we are already at 90% and two more 90% events want to be mixed in we have 270%. We can't go past 100%. Coin-op sound systems do something in this case. Clipping is not allowed but the compression/limiting signal processing found in professional gear is not as sophisticated in a coin-op run-time system. So the mix is not perfect. We are continuing to improve our audio behavior so that we present the sound that goes with your interaction in the best possible way.

I'm glad that you commented on this, it shows that you are listening and that you care.

ddt

#4138 6 years ago

Thinking of purchasing a hobbit le smaug gold edition. Can you call give me thoughts on a price of.such a beast?. Dont have any jjp in collection and thought I would give it a try. Thanks everyone

#4139 6 years ago
Quoted from Ozzy:

Thinking of purchasing a hobbit le smaug gold edition. Can you call give me thoughts on a price of.such a beast?. Dont have any jjp in collection and thought I would give it a try. Thanks everyone

would be best move you ever made. price is down but value is up!

#4140 6 years ago
Quoted from Ozzy:

Good choice, youll love it!

#4141 6 years ago
Quoted from Ozzy:

For an HUO game I think you are looking at anywhere from $6500-$7200 right now, condition and location will affect price. It does seem like the value for The Hobbit is slowly starting to creep up a bit.

The game is just awesome and I think the price will continue to rise as more people see what it has to offer and more code updates are released.

#4142 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

If Smaug's death sequence is not center stage then there is a problem... I will review this.

Thank you so much for the reply, I really started to notice the ducking when listening via headphones. For the Smaug kill sequence I will try and record this either tonight or tomorrow and find a way to post it here as it is very extreme. I've talked to others who don't hear what I'm talking about, which is making me think there could be something wrong with my setup or hardware.

#4143 6 years ago

Alright I made a recording through the headphone jack (note: can hear the same through the speakers), and created an unlisted youtube video so I could share the sound issue I'm experiencing.

#4144 6 years ago

I just turned on my game this morning and it is saying to "check Matrix Switch #28 and #30 Smaug Limit? What do I do next?
Thanks in advance.

#4145 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I just turned on my game this morning and it is saying to "check Matrix Switch #28 and #30 Smaug Limit? What do I do next?

Go into Tests - Switches - Matrixed, and check them to see if they work. If not, check if they need adjusting, cleaning, broken wires or loose connectors, etc.

#4146 6 years ago

Alright I made a recording through the headphone jack (note: can hear the same through the speakers), and created an unlisted youtube video so I could share the sound issue I'm experiencing.
» YouTube video

I apologize for not seeing this thread earlier. This is a known issue and will be fixed in the next software release. (Dialed In had the same problem. Latest release fixes it.)

--Ted

#4147 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Go into Tests - Switches - Matrixed, and check them to see if they work. If not, check if they need adjusting, cleaning, broken wires or loose connectors, etc.

Thanks, I will have a look see and report back.

#4148 6 years ago

Noticed something odd today when starting a new game. Bombur always starts lit. The drop target is up, but he gets add in the lower right on, almost as if I am spotted him when I start. Is that normal? Or maybe the switch needs an adjustment?

#4149 6 years ago
Quoted from brg126:

Or maybe the switch needs an adjustment?

Easy to check. Tests - Switches - Matrixed, something closed that should be open ? If you bang on playfield vibration close a switch ?

#4150 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Easy to check. Tests - Switches - Matrixed, something closed that should be open ? If you bang on playfield vibration close a switch ?

Thanks for the thoughts! The switch seems to work just fine when I checked it in the switch matrix. I noticed when I started game 1 it was not lit. Reset for Game 2 and the drop targets reset, which then triggered the target and lit bomgur. Need to find a way to test that theory and see if that is doing it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,995 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/83?hl=bigsilverpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.