IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 260.
#4001 6 years ago

Yeah - really looking forward to the final wizard mode they promised. Will make a world of difference.

#4002 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Yeah - really looking forward to the final wizard mode they promised. Will make a world of difference.

Where did you see that they promised a Wizard mode?

#4003 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

For sure and the champion items that Keith mentioned that I hope relate to beating X number / sets of modes.

#4004 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Where did you see that they promised a Wizard mode?

Keith made a post a while a while back here outlining the games features and rules. One of the items mentioned is a super wizard mode. Also, Keith mentioned on the JJP Google Group back in June that he has plans for a final mode.

In the latest 2.0 code folder structure there's a subfolder named "There and Back Again". I think this may correspond to the games rumored final mode as the same folder doesn't exist in any of the previous releases, including beta releases.

#4005 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

White wire is severed to the leaf switch behind the beast's head, problem solved!

So what's your next move? Can you fix the wire without replacing it?

#4006 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Keith made a post a while a while back here outlining the games features and rules. One of the items mentioned is a super wizard mode.

Are you sure? "pinball_keefer" never posted anything about a super wizard mode in this thread.

I also didn't see any statement from Keith on the JJP group either. Plenty of owners mentioning a super wizard mode, but nothing directly from Keith. It's not hard to filter "Keith P. Johnson wrote" on the JJP group.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I can't find anything.

#4007 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Are you sure? "pinball_keefer" never posted anything about a super wizard mode in this thread.
I also didn't see any statement from Keith on the JJP group either. Plenty of owners mentioning a super wizard mode, but nothing directly from Keith. It's not hard to filter "Keith P. Johnson wrote" on the JJP group.

On 06/09/2017 Keith posted a topic called "Statement on code" on the JJP google group. The most recent post on the topic was 10/13/2017. I recommend you go look for it again.

#4008 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Every DI production model shipped thus far has done so with 1.13 installed. This is DI’s first production code update. Hobbit has had many since production began in early 2016, including 2.0 which is the most recent one. There will be another by all accounts as well so I’m not especially worried.

When did the production units start shipping? I see the 1.13 code was released on 06/01/2017. I thought games started shipping before then, but perhaps I am wrong.

#4009 6 years ago

In May - every non prototype DI was built with at least 1.10 but 1.13 came out right on top of that just as the games started shipping in force.

#4010 6 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

On 06/09/2017 Keith posted a topic called "Statement on code" on the JJP google group. The most recent post on the topic was 10/13/2017. I recommend you go look for it again.

Got it, Thanks! I now recall reading it before. Keith stated as of Expo it will be "rules complete for all playfield inserts," so I mistakenly read it as being done.

But yes, I see he says future updates as time permits, including a final mode.

It is very encouraging to read this, but he never promised anything. It's contingent on time permitting, and they've now got two games post Hobbit. I know he will do his best.

#4011 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

So what's your next move? Can you fix the wire without replacing it?

Just soldered it back together and put heat shrink around the joint. I didn't need to replace it, but that certainly was an option, but more work.

#4012 6 years ago

How will a wizard mode make a world of difference when 99% will never see it. Better to spend the time improving immersion in the modes and making them feel integral to the game. Then if there's time give players an option to postpone the default stacking of MBs.

#4013 6 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

How will a wizard mode make a world of difference when 99% will never see it. Better to spend the time improving immersion in the modes and making them feel integral to the game. Then if there's time give players an option to postpone the default stacking of MBs.

I agree, but that's not what Keith mentioned.

The potential update as described by Keith won't make a huge difference to the way the game plays now, rules-wise.

#4014 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Here's the post that Keith made from around a year ago. I'm not sure if the 3 mini wizard modes are in reference to Super Spinner, Beast and Feast Frenzy (will guess yes), but the 3 major wizard modes are the Arkenstone modes. The "1 super wizard mode" is what we are anticipating being put into the game.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2015-hobbit-update-thread/page/37

hobbit (resized).JPGhobbit (resized).JPG

#4015 6 years ago

Duplicate, please delete

#4016 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here's the post that Keith made from around a year ago. I'm not sure if the 3 mini wizard modes are in reference to Super Spinner, Beast and Feast Frenzy (will guess yes), but the 3 major wizard modes are the Arkenstone modes. The "1 super wizard mode" is what we are anticipating being put into the game.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2015-hobbit-update-thread/page/37

Everything Keith listed in that post from a year ago, he claims is in the game already, including the super wizard mode. Huh?

There is some ambiguity and inconsistency with his comment in the JJP thread from June.

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter. You gotta love the game as it is now, or risk disappointment if there is no update.

Keith said he will try, but there is no promise.

#4017 6 years ago

I posted this on the JJP Facebook site – but was worth sharing with my brotheren here!

Again, more innovation that just blows me away. I was working on WOZ and noticed that the playfield lights are coordinated with the logo images. Haven't checked my Hobbit, but I'm sure it's the same. Crazy.

IMG_0433 (resized).JPGIMG_0433 (resized).JPG

IMG_0435 (resized).JPGIMG_0435 (resized).JPG

#4018 6 years ago

Anyone know a source for the rollover buttons on the playfield? Mine wore through and the top of one of the buttons came off the post. Havnt found a replacement online anywhere.

#4020 6 years ago
Quoted from jgeiger:

Anyone know a source for the rollover buttons on the playfield? Mine wore through and the top of one of the buttons came off the post. Havnt found a replacement online anywhere.

JJP you have to call for them or send an email they also will want to know if yours have a single white washer on them or two since each playfield is different. Some have zero - I had a replacement with an extra washer and the ball hops we're crazy huge pain to remove the washer so find it out before calling or sending in support request.

#4021 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

I posted this on the JJP Facebook site – but was worth sharing with my brotheren here!
Again, more innovation that just blows me away. I was working on WOZ and noticed that the playfield lights are coordinated with the logo images. Haven't checked my Hobbit, but I'm sure it's the same. Crazy.

The Hobbit does this as well - I bet DI does too (but can't confirm)

When I see activity on this thread I get excited thinking there was a code update

#4022 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I get excited thinking there was a code update

I know, right?

#4023 6 years ago
Quoted from jgeiger:

thats awesome, playing it so much you wore right through the button!

#4024 6 years ago

Le owner here. It sits right next to Lotr for that extra super geeked out experience. As of recent I have been buying into the hate, because let's face it people either love or hate our game. There is no medium ground. Buddy who hates hobbit comes over, and has best game he's ever had on the table. On and on he goes about his dislike prior to going for near a mill score. When I'm calling the shots for him explaining " shoot here, hit this" spotting it up for his money ass I see the lightbulb go off in his head. DING! Goes the bell in his mind and I can hear his brain saying "wow this game gives it to me like I want it". There is something special about this game when you invest the time it takes to get full enjoyment. Flip on brothers and sisters

#4025 6 years ago
Quoted from Buju:

Le owner here. It sits right next to Lotr for that extra super geeked out experience. As of recent I have been buying into the hate, because let's face it people either love or hate our game. There is no medium ground. Buddy who hates hobbit comes over, and has best game he's ever had on the table. On and on he goes about his dislike prior to going for near a mill score. When I'm calling the shots for him explaining " shoot here, hit this" spotting it up for his money ass I see the lightbulb go off in his head. DING! Goes the bell in his mind and I can hear his brain saying "wow this game gives it to me like I want it". There is something special about this game when you invest the time it takes to get full enjoyment. Flip on brothers and sisters

100% agree.. well said

#4026 6 years ago
Quoted from Buju:

A lot of people who don’t like it, don’t understand how to play it. I hear people say I played a few games, hated it and walked away. It took me well over 100 games to understand how to play and even now I still don’t understand it all. Some people just like shallow games with easy to understand rules, many others like complex adventurous games. I like them both. The hobbit takes a little while to get it going, but once you do, it’s like magic, extremely immersive game. To each his own.

#4027 6 years ago
Quoted from Buju:

I have had this exact same experience with somebody. Calling out the shots made the game much more enjoyable for him, until he found out that nealy everything is pointed out on the playfield with the inserts. Somehow everyone thinks this game stikns because they HAVE to look at the screen, until something clicks nd they see how the game works.

Magnificently programmed game, one of the best there is. This is exactly what I expect from innovation in pinball but it turns out that most people are more conservative than they think. Or they just do not want to put the effort in learning something new

edit: why was your buddy playing on the table ?? Much simpler to just stand behind the pinball machine

#4028 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Much simpler to just stand behind the pinball machine

And easier still if you are in front of the pin

#4029 6 years ago

I need a little help. I just sold my Hobbit And when the guy set it up at home it starts and seems to be OK but the “Start” button won’t start the game. He’s checked the connections at the button and the large connector at the back of the PC box with the yellow wires as well. Any ideas?

#4030 6 years ago

This weekend , I removed the center post and changed the pop up setting to xtra hard. My game times reduced dramatically but I did have one 1 plus million game that was fun Changing the pop up setting cut back on the stat king between Smaug and beast multiball plus the multiball time was reduced .. I need to keep tweeking. Great game that only gets better.

#4031 6 years ago

Tests - Switches - Matrixed, does it register there. If not I'd be sure the switch is still on tight, and you can hear it click when the button is pushed, then check all the connectors in the area that they are pressed together tight.

LTG : )

#4032 6 years ago

Psst - start button is dedicated switches not matrixed

#4033 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Tests - Switches - Matrixed, does it register there. If not I'd be sure the switch is still on tight, and you can hear it click when the button is pushed, then check all the connectors in the area that they are pressed together tight.

Oops. Make that Tests - Switches - Dedicated.

LTG : )

#4034 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I need a little help. I just sold my Hobbit And when the guy set it up at home it starts and seems to be OK but the “Start” button won’t start the game. He’s checked the connections at the button and the large connector at the back of the PC box with the yellow wires as well. Any ideas?

Make sure it's on free play

#4035 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Check that the rubber feet on the playfield rails aren't sitting on top of the metal board box. The playfield might be rubbing against button

#4036 6 years ago

How do I get the extra ball in the "complete all qualifiers"? I keep trying to start the roaming drop target to light extra ball, but it never happens. Do I need to get all the qualifiers on 1 ball? Maybe that's my issue? Is there a setting I have wrong?

Thanks!

#4037 6 years ago

I thought I would chime in,I finally beat Smaug monday night, I was yelling so much my wife thought I had a serious medical condition.

Score was over 2,200,000, still stink at barrel escape, didn't get to 5 armies. What a game.

#4038 6 years ago

I don't thin it needs to be all on the first ball. Are all of the modes lit up? If so might be a setting adjustment

#4039 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

My start button was sticking when I received the game NIB. I had to hit it hard multiple times to start a game. I took it apart and sprayed some WD-40 on it and it has worked perfectly ever since.

#4040 6 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

How do I get the extra ball in the "complete all qualifiers"? I keep trying to start the roaming drop target to light extra ball, but it never happens. Do I need to get all the qualifiers on 1 ball? Maybe that's my issue? Is there a setting I have wrong?
Thanks!

I'd like to know this too as it seems a bit random (possibly a bug?)
I've started it on 1 ball and I've started it across multiple balls - but not always!
Doesn't seem to start if you complete the qualifiers when in Smaug MB or Beast Frenzy.
Fairly sure I've had it start and not start when in a mode too!

And I've no idea what the criteria is for getting it a second or third time even though I have managed it a few times.

#4041 6 years ago

Has anyone needed to adjust their Windlance Coil? Mine seemed to fire too hard, and the ball would go into the Radagast hole. I tried adjusting it last night with some luck (gave it a little less, down 3 I believe). Didn't get to try it against smaug, but it did serve the ball up nicely to the flipper in the mode where you need to shoot the right ramp that feeds the windlance for a smaug shot. Finished that mode for the first time last night.

#4042 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Has anyone needed to adjust their Windlance Coil? Mine seemed to fire too hard, and the ball would go into the Radagast hole. I tried adjusting it last night with some luck (gave it a little less, down 3 I believe). Didn't get to try it against smaug, but it did serve the ball up nicely to the flipper in the mode where you need to shoot the right ramp that feeds the windlance for a smaug shot. Finished that mode for the first time last night.

I had to dial mine down as well - or it would just fire into the right vuk hole when it should fire to the right orbit and be right on top of the top right flipper. That makes for a very cool combo shot into the dwarf targets. Keith gives you a little grace period to allow you to have the ball come down and fire from the lower flippers, but I think he should shorten the timer a few seconds to make the player use the top flipper for that shot.

#4043 6 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

I don't thin it needs to be all on the first ball. Are all of the modes lit up? If so might be a setting adjustment

I just qualified all the modes on ball 1. No roaming drop. No multiballs. When I launch the ball one of the qualifiers is spotted for me. I think that might be the issue, but I don't know the setting.

#4044 6 years ago

This rule is a bit old (done by Scott T). Search for Hobbit rules for the complete and updated version...quite good and extensive:

There are three primary methods of lighting an extra ball. They may be completed in any order and are:
• Award after 25 Captive Ball Hits
• Completing all 6 mode qualifiers (Gandalf, Bilbo, Radagast, Elf, Dwarf, Man) and then
hitting the travelling drop target before it is gone
• Achieving Super Jets and then Kicking over 5 barrels while it is running
[Is this unlimited? i.e. if you kick over 10 barrels will you get another extra ball lit b/c you did another 5? And if you light all qualifiers and get the travelling drop target again do you light another?]
The default behavior for collecting the first extra ball is for both the Extra and Ball inserts to blink at the left and right holes respectively. You must hit both holes in any order to collect.
For the second extra ball only Extra will be blinking and must be collected before Ball blinks and must be collected.

#4045 6 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

This rule is a bit old (done by Scott T). Search for Hobbit rules for the complete and updated version...quite good and extensive:
There are three primary methods of lighting an extra ball. They may be completed in any order and are:
• Award after 25 Captive Ball Hits
• Completing all 6 mode qualifiers (Gandalf, Bilbo, Radagast, Elf, Dwarf, Man) and then
hitting the travelling drop target before it is gone

I got the roaming drop to appear by changing the preset difficulty to "hard". No qualifiers were spotted when I launched a ball. Is "hard" the default mode from the factory?

Mine was on medium, and the extra ball from 6 mode qualifiers did not seem to work, possibly because the game was handing a free qualifier per ball.

#4046 6 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

I got the roaming drop to appear by changing the preset difficulty to "hard". No qualifiers were spotted when I launched a ball. Is "hard" the default mode from the factory?
Mine was on medium, and the extra ball from 6 mode qualifiers did not seem to work, possibly because the game was handing a free qualifier per ball.

Yes, the free qualifiers don’t count and you have to consume and re-earn them to get it.

#4047 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yes, the free qualifiers don’t count and you have to consume and re-earn them to get it.

That is the reason you can only get it on ball 1. I think you will spot a missing qualifier for balls 2 and 3 before you launch it.

#4048 6 years ago

For those concerned regarding a new Hobbit code update...straight from the horses mouth from another site:

Keith P. Johnson
Nov 8 (21 hours ago)
Hi everyone.

We appreciate your feedback and thoughts and are glad you're interested in the game. There will be another Hobbit release, but it won't get major time spent on it until POTC comes out as all of our efforts are going to that right now. I would expect it to be in line with my previously stated (and requoted) statements.

#4049 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

That is the reason you can only get it on ball 1. I think you will spot a missing qualifier for balls 2 and 3 before you launch it.

Nope. You can do it for any ball.

#4050 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Explains it all. Thanks!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/81?hl=bendit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.