Topic Stats

• 7,828 posts
  • 515 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Wildbill327
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,144 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191027_094800 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_092217 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090807 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091030 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091023 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0012 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_102423 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090419 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090400 (resized).jpg
182073EA-3A86-4714-A07D-DE14034970C6 (resized).jpeg
B7D506CB-DD8C-4B4D-A4C1-A02716D2C79C (resized).jpeg
FC83295A-EEBB-44D9-8B79-4FE11917D16A (resized).jpeg
20190903_191923 (resized).jpg
20191011_105330 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7828 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 157.
#351 3 years ago

For what it's worth...I haven't had any resets since swapping the memory card positions. Not to say I won't have them again, but so far so good.

I found some slight sound clipping with the default settings as well. I turned down each of the sound settings by five and all is good.

#352 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Well it looks like I'll avoid updating to 1.10 when I get my machine next week. I'll wait for JJP to address the reset issues with it, disappointing as I really want to try the latest code.

Don't wait to upgrade to 1.10, it is much more fun than previous version and it is worth the occasional reset. Happens maybe 1 in 50 games?? JJP will track it down and choke the sh*t out of it and then it will be an interesting story to tell your grandchildren

#353 3 years ago

Just had my 6th reset. I'm done for now. Not playing until its fixed. I'm in the middle of a 700k game on ball 2 and it goes dead. Its just pissing me off at this time. I will just jump over to Monster Bash. Poor me.

#354 3 years ago

Ok. Whoever is having reset issues, send me a PM. As much details as you can. Multiball, pop bumpers, mode your in, etc. I'm getting the info over to Lloyd as he is relaying it all to the programmer.

#355 3 years ago

Might be good to collect settings too. A downside of all the settable strengths of coils and stuff is everyone might have slightly different power demands / reset may be more or less likely per config.. If it's a HW reset anyway

#356 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Might be good to collect settings too.

No.

If you are having a lot of resets, please email me the Stats.

Insert USB drive.
Enter Diagnostics: Reports->Stats dump
A file is created under \pinballstats on the USB drive

And if you know when it happens. Mode, multiball, entering initials, etc.

Send to service@jerseyjackpinball.com

Thank you,
Lloyd

#357 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Just had my 6th reset. I'm done for now. Not playing until its fixed. I'm in the middle of a 700k game on ball 2 and it goes dead. Its just pissing me off at this time. I will just jump over to Monster Bash. Poor me.

Did you try swapping the ram front to back on the computer?

#358 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

No. Did you do this? If so, did it help?

#359 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

No. Did you do this? If so, did it help?

It might help, I have had this technique solve instability many times. The ram near the cpu gets hotter than the one behind. Some ram is more sensitive to heat than others, this doesn't mean its bad per se.

Switching ram around has been a quick fix for some time now.

Heat differences between the ram sticks can cause differences in the way data runs around the internal pathways. This can cause instability

Hence "heat spreaders" on some high speed ram.

In most cases switching the ram locations, replacing the ram, or using a different brand/vendor for the ram fixes this instability problem.

I like "samsung original" and micron ram. They seem to be the most stable and the lowest defect per million sold.

#361 3 years ago

For anyone that wants to know. I was having lots of issues since the recent update. Slowing down, stopping, lots of resets. I ran it by Keith. He said to make sure I had 8 GB total RAM in my game. I only had one 4 GB memory stick.

I didn't want to wait for JJP to send me one. So I went and got two of these :

http://www.microcenter.com/product/415422/Ballistix_Sport_XT_8GB_DDR3-1600_%28PC3-12800%29_CL9_Dual_Channel_Desktop_Memory_Kit_%28Two_4GB_Memory_Modules%29

I wanted a matched pair in there with cooling fins.

My game has been rock solid ever since.

LTG : )

#362 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

For anyone that wants to know. I was having lots of issues since the recent update. Slowing down, stopping, lots of resets. I ran it by Keith. He said to make sure I had 8 GB total RAM in my game. I only had one 4 GB memory stick.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/415422/Ballistix_Sport_XT_8GB_DDR3-1600_%28PC3-12800%29_CL9_Dual_Channel_Desktop_Memory_Kit_%28Two_4GB_Memory_Modules%29

Crucial ram is one of the better vendors, they use micron ram on their modules. I also like their metal heat spreaders, they look cool
The matched set is Excellent for bullet proofing memory instability.

The Ballistix™ ram is very durable (overclocker grade/gamer ram) and I think an excellent choice for a pinball game.

And its cheap, I have some here, I may put them in just for the durability factor.

The reviews on newegg on this ram are pretty good:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148544&cm_re=ballistix_1600-_-20-148-544-_-Product

#363 3 years ago

It might help, I have had this technique solve instability many times. The ram near the cpu gets hotter than the one behind. Some ram is more sensitive to heat than others, this doesn't mean its bad per se.
Switching ram around has been a quick fix for some time now.
Heat differences between the ram sticks can cause differences in the way data runs around the internal pathways. This can cause instability
Hence "heat spreaders" on some high speed ram.
In most cases switching the ram locations, replacing the ram, or using a different brand/vendor for the ram fixes this instability problem.
I like "samsung original" and micron ram. They seem to be the most stable and the lowest defect per million sold.

Is your ram side by side? Is there 2 slots or 4 slots for ram?

Quoted from LTG:

Can we use 1 8gig ram or does it have to be 2 4gig ram?

#364 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Can we use 1 8gig ram or does it have to be 2 4gig ram?

Either, just so you have 8 GB total. My preference was for two 4's.

#365 3 years ago

I would use the 2 4gb sticks. It balances out the mainboard and draws less power per slot.

#366 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Is your ram side by side? Is there 2 slots or 4 slots for ram?

Side by side, two slots on Hobbit motherboard.

#367 3 years ago

Are all Hobbits being shipped with 4GB of ram or only some?

#368 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Are all Hobbits being shipped with 4GB of ram or only some?

All are shipping with 8 GB.

My game had symptoms indicating too low of RAM, which Keith identified, and as far as I know, the only Hobbit out there that this happened to.

#369 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Either, just so you have 8 GB total. My preference was for two 4's.

You need to have a matching pair, two sticks- this allows for Dual Channel memory operation and better performance- just an FYI

#370 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

All are shipping with 8 GB.
My game had symptoms indicating too low of RAM, which Keith identified, and as far as I know, the only Hobbit out there that this happened to.

Ah ok, good to know. Glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue quickly.

#371 3 years ago

If there is only 2 ram slots, I can't switch ram around.

#372 3 years ago

I did this and mine hasn't had a reset since...we'll see for the long term, but so far so good.

#373 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

If there is only 2 ram slots, I can't switch ram around.

Why not? Swap the cards in the two slots.

#374 3 years ago

I will pick up new 4gig ram tonight. But my question is, shouldn't Jack fix those who have this ram and have not shipped? Stop using the ram installed if it's doing this.

#375 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

If there is only 2 ram slots, I can't switch ram around

Two RAM sticks, two slots. Pull them both out and put each one in the opposite of the one you pulled out.

#376 3 years ago

Lloyd. Can u tell us the specks we need for the ram? The voltage, timings, etc. not just any ram will work. I'm going to bestbuy after work and I want to get exactly what I need.

#377 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I will pick up new 4gig ram tonight. But my question is, shouldn't Jack fix those who have this ram and have not shipped? Stop using the ram installed if it's doing this.

I have built 50-100 computers at a time for bigger network jobs. All exactly the same, all from the same batches of components, serial numbers sequential from the assembly lines etc...

Ram that wouldnt post in one machine worked perfectly in another and was stable years later under 24hr a day operation.
JJP is doing thousands of these PC's. There will be variations no matter how careful you are.

Machine oil on contacts, slightly less spring tension in the memory slots, finger prints on contacts, variations in module thickness, too loose or to tight on connectors...anything can and will happen.

Even though computers are electronic, they are mechanical in their construction and variations occur.

#378 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Lloyd. Can u tell us the specks we need for the ram? The voltage, timings, etc. not just any ram will work. I'm going to bestbuy after work and I want to get exactly what I need.

My link above - read the specs :

Main things is get two - 4 GB DDR3 1600

#379 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

If you are going to best buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-8gb-ddr3-sdram-memory-module-black/1853347.p?id=1218297021353&skuId=1853347

This is a 2 stick kit and is very good RAM, 1600 speed and CL-9, exactly what you might need, if you want to try new RAM.

call them and see if they have it.

#380 3 years ago

Why would you buy new ram if you have not even tried swapping and re-seating it first? Seems like a waste of time and money.

#381 3 years ago

If you are going to best buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-8gb-ddr3-sdram-memory-module-black/1853347.p?id=1218297021353&skuId=1853347

This is a 2 stick kit and is very good RAM, 1600 speed and CL-9, exactly what you might need, if you want to try new RAM.

call them and see if they have it.

Those are great. And if you are going to buy some, go with the cooling fins like these.

#382 3 years ago

Crucial ram is one of the better vendors, they use micron ram on their modules. I also like their metal heat spreaders, they look cool
The matched set is Excellent for bullet proofing memory instability.
The Ballistix™ ram is very durable (overclocker grade/gamer ram) and I think an excellent choice for a pinball game.
And its cheap, I have some here, I may put them in just for the durability factor.
The reviews on newegg on this ram are pretty good:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148544&cm_re=ballistix_1600-_-20-148-544-_-Product

I can vouch for Crucial RAM. I have built 300 to 400 desktop computers in my life. Out of all the manufacturers my top 2 are Crucial and Kingston. I have had the least problems with Crucial. I have had the most problems with G.Skill and Corsair. Crucial RAM is the best, you can't go wrong trust me.

#383 3 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I can vouch for Crucial RAM. I have built 300 to 400 desktop computers in my life. Out of all the manufacturers my top 2 are Crucial and Kingston. I have had the least problems with Crucial. I have had the most problems with G.Skill and Corsair. Crucial RAM is the best, you can't go wrong trust me.

Kingston RAM I think has the best compatability. They can use micron or samsung RAM on their modules, they also sell value ram but its a crap shoot as to what you might get.

Crucial uses micron RAM chips. They are made in the USA. Micron has the lowest defect per million in the industry going back decades.
Samsung is right on their tail though.

There are many companies making pc boards for installing RAM chips on to, calling it their own. One company may have the same ram stick serial number but many different ram chips they use.

I have even had 2 exact sticks of ram with 2 different ram manufacturers. I call this junk ram, and it leads to instability. PNY comes to mind.

#384 3 years ago

Corsair, Crucial, and Kingston are the best manufacturers of memory out there.

#385 3 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Why would you buy new ram if you have not even tried swapping and re-seating it first? Seems like a waste of time and money.

I have not swapped but I did reseat them. I will swap them tonight. Play tons of games. If it does it again, new ram it is.

#386 3 years ago

Kingston RAM I think has the best compatability. They can use micron or samsung RAM on their modules, they also sell value ram but its a crap shoot as to what you might get.
Crucial uses micron RAM chips. They are made in the USA. Micron has the lowest defect per million in the industry going back decades.
Samsung is right on their tail though.
There are many companies making pc boards for installing RAM chips on to, calling it their own. One company may have the same ram stick serial number but many different ram chips they use.
I have even had 2 exact sticks of ram with 2 different ram manufacturers. I call this junk ram, and it leads to instability. PNY comes to mind.

I really don't ever have any problems with Kingston RAM either. I usually test them in kits, two 8gb sticks as a kit. The best program to use to test system memory is memtesthci found here http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ I would purchase the pro version, its only $5. If I run this on memory for 24 hours and don't get any errors I know the sticks are good. Even one error and I know there is a bad stick in the kit, the I test them one at a time to find out which one it is. BTW memtest86 sucks, I test sticks that I know are bad and get errors with memtest hci and they come out clean with memtest86.

#387 3 years ago

Anybody post a pic of ram installed? Trying to imagine where it plugs in.

#388 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

This is just a generic motherboard. I circled in red the RAM. Tabs on the end push back to release it.

mobo_(resized).jpg

#389 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Here's a better pic- the motherboard in TH is a dual channel memory board- so when using memory modules, make sure to install them in separate channels so they can operate in Dual Channel mode

Example, with two sticks- make sure they are both installed in the same channel - the slots should be color coordinated like shown in this pic. Do not put one stick in a channel 1 slot, and another in channel 2. Both should be in the same channel to operate as a pair.

9yhqk_(resized).jpg

#390 3 years ago

Just received word from my distributor that my Hobbit LE has shipped! Can't wait to play it.

#391 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just received word from my distributor that my Hobbit LE has shipped! Can't wait to play it.

Will you get it by Friday?

#392 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Will you get it by Friday?

Not sure yet. It shipped out from the east coast. Going away this weekend for memorial day weekend and won't be home until Monday. Did your shipper give you some flexibility over what day delivery would be?

#393 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Not sure yet. It shipped out from the east coast. Going away this weekend for memorial day weekend and won't be home until Monday. Did your shipper give you some flexibility over what day delivery would be?

I did not give them a chance. I picked mine up.

#394 3 years ago

Told mine should be ready by the end of June... Hope so!

#395 3 years ago

Mine shipped Monday. Should have it for the weekend.

#396 3 years ago
Quoted from Dale1953:

Mine shipped Monday. Should have it for the weekend.

You and I both! Mine should be here Friday

#397 3 years ago

Ok, awesome news! My TH LE arrived at the terminal today, but they said due to my location they could deliver until late next week.. I said F-that and I drove an hour each way and just picked it up!!

The great news- fresh out of the box, theres zero damage, flaws, or defects from shipping or manufacturing. The cabinet, decals, backbox, armor, decals, invisiglass, etc are all immaculate. Put everything together, put balls in the machine, snipped the zip ties for the beast popups, and fired her up. Changed ball save to 10 seconds, flippers to 25, and started playing. Everything worked perfectly, played about 7-8 games no problem. I'll do a full switch test tomorrow, but everything seems to be completely perfect out of the box and I'm happy about that.

One problem - which i'll find out the extent of it though, is I had a reset on it while my wife was having a kick ass game. The code out of the box is 1.01 and I didn't have a chance to update it, but I don't remember reading about anyone have reset issues with that code version. The game wasn't running long enough to get hot, and my area was nice and chilly so that shouldn't be the problem. I guess i'll have to reach out to JJP and join the queue of people with reset issues unfortunately. Besides that, everything else is fine. Just not cool knowing I could be having a bad ass game and it can reset spontaneously.

2016-05-24_22.39.13_(resized).jpg

#398 3 years ago

Mine arrived DOA due to an intermittent fuse. Reseated the fuse and the game started up. I think it reset once in the first couple of hours of play. Reseated the fuse again and checked to see if there was a loose wire or something inside the power box. Didn't find anything and haven't had a reset since. It's been almost two months now with play on all versions of code.

#399 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Mine arrived DOA due to an intermittent fuse. Reseated the fuse and the game started up. I think it reset once in the first couple of hours of play. Reseated the fuse again and checked to see if there was a loose wire or something inside the power box. Didn't find anything and haven't had a reset since. It's been almost two months now with play on all versions of code.

Interesting, thanks- the fuses are in the computer/server case correct? I believe that's where they were in my old WOZ. I'll try and reseat them tomorrow. I'm sure it's nothing serious.

#400 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Interesting, thanks- the fuses are in the computer/server case correct? I believe that's where they were in my old WOZ. I'll try and reseat them tomorrow. I'm sure it's nothing serious.

Congrats on the new game! For the reset issue I would first upgrade to 1.10. Next, I think LTG in the thread above mentioned something about swapping RAM into the opposite slot. Not sure if that would correct the reset issue. It certainty does sound software related and I'm sure will be fixed in the next software release.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 7828 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 157.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside