IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 260.
#3901 6 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

Concerning Bait, I bomb out on that mode but actually got 70% done the other day. I think I needed right hole to finish.
Anyway, two reasons for poor performance may be, first it's hard for me second the graphics and sound are so excellent I look at the screen too much.
After reading about Smaug, I think I was within one shot of killing him but drained. This is such a great pin for me.

That's what's so amazing about this trick. The left ramp lowers the goblin head, but you don't even have to work toward completing the mode. Just have a dialed in left ramp shot and keep hitting it. You can get huge scores without even advancing toward mode completion. And as a bonus the left ramp shot also awards additional time in the mode.

#3902 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Concentrate on locks, start Smaug multiball, make the multiball jackpots, kill Smaug. Done. There are no pre-requisites to do it. Just play the multiball.

Good info. Took that approach and finally got to the battle of 5 armies. Finished that and killed Smaug on the next multiball. Balls flying everywhere and then silence, lights off, flippers dead, and a big ass dragon taking a dive into the water with a “Smaug is dead”. Quite an adrenaline shot for me. Finished with 3,557,904, a new Grand Champion at this house by 700k.

#3903 6 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Good info. Took that approach and finally got to the battle of 5 armies. Finished that and killed Smaug on the next multiball. Balls flying everywhere and then silence, lights off, flippers dead, and a big ass dragon taking a dive into the water with a “Smaug is dead”. Quite an adrenaline shot for me. Finished with 3,557,904, a new Grand Champion at this house by 700k.

Great score!!

#3904 6 years ago

I loved this game before, but the more I play it the more I realize I will never get rid of it. Absolute genius design.

#3905 6 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

I loved this game before, but the more I play it the more I realize I will never get rid of it. Absolute genius design.

It's the non-fan layout. Some people love it, some people hate it...

#3906 6 years ago

Killed Smaug again last night. This time I watched the playfield instead of the screen. I highly recommend doing this, once you've seen the screen once or twice. As Smaug dies, the lights on the playfield start slowly going out until they are all out, signifying his fire going out. Then all dark, then whoosh all back on at full power. Genius programming. The only thing missing is a callout when taking victory laps. A callout like Gimli's "SUPER JACKPOT! WHA HA HA HA!" Would be perfect.

#3907 6 years ago

Playing this game at shows always left me underwhelmed and not really caring to play it again. Having it in a home environment has let me learn the ins and outs of the game and truly appreciate it for the great game it really is. I believe it is even better then LOTR, can't believe I just said that!

#3908 6 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

Playing this game at shows always left me underwhelmed and not really caring to play it again. Having it in a home environment has let me learn the ins and outs of the game and truly appreciate it for the great game it really is. I believe it is even better then LOTR, can't believe I just said that!

now THAT is a strong statement!

#3909 6 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

I believe it is even better then LOTR, can't believe I just said that!

Ditto. I have both and LOTR would leave first.

#3911 6 years ago

Any thoughts/news on code updates?

#3912 6 years ago

We shall see at Expo this week but I do know that all of the code guys including Keith have been pounding away on game 4 to be ready for the reveal lately...

#3913 6 years ago

GravitaR Why the down vote? Was simply trying to get our love of The Hobbit out to bunch people that were bashing it.

The thread was about people expressing disappointment with themes. Star Wars and The Hobbit where the top two. I went in and defended TH. Hmmmm, not sure why you wouldn't agree with that if you're part of this group.

#3914 6 years ago

you think that a new code will be published for the expo?

#3915 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

now THAT is a strong statement!

thats a true statement!

#3916 6 years ago

Well, POTC looks incredible. I want to buy one but cannot go through with an order with the current state that Hobbit code is in. JJP is promising a super wizard mode for POTC but us Hobbit owners have been waiting 1 year + for its promised super wizard mode.

Has anyone heard anything out of Expo about Hobbit code?

#3917 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well, POTC looks incredible. I want to buy one but cannot go through with an order with the current state that Hobbit code is in. JJP is promising a super wizard mode for POTC but us Hobbit owners have been waiting 1 year + for its promised super wizard mode.

It seems extremely likely - for whatever reason the hobbit gets a lot of S from people but it's still a very fun pin - it's not as feature-filled as DI but that's now reflected in the price

Anyway there was a HUGE update back in June I think, which included placeholders for that final mode. I don't know how many Black arrows they sold but that certainly factors in. JJP hasn't let buyers down yet - WOZ still gets updates for goodness sake!

#3918 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Could someone at the conference ask about a release date for TH code? I know they have probably been working hard on DI and PoTC for the past few months to get those working well. But I know Keith and team can put a few finishing gems and polish into TH.

Thanks

#3919 6 years ago

i also miss a code update

what i miss

- the 3 main missions must not be completed
you don't see a difference if you got it

- a Final when all 3 are completed, not only played !

#3920 6 years ago

Agreed we need more code, also no more sales from me until it's done - come on JJP ride the wave of positive vibes and give TH the code it deserves!!

#3921 6 years ago

I was thinking how amazing a potc would look next to my hobbit...

#3922 6 years ago

after seeing JJPOTC I noticed that the targets had stickers on them. I with TH had stickers for mystery and the dwarf targets, and not just empty. I am sure JJP can do them and allow us to buy them.

#3923 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

after seeing JJPOTC I noticed that the targets had stickers on them. I with TH had stickers for mystery and the dwarf targets, and not just empty. I am sure JJP can do them and allow us to buy them.

Like this?

e7ed21188081b111cba99eef9b7cbfc27b82fe72.jpge7ed21188081b111cba99eef9b7cbfc27b82fe72.jpg

#3924 6 years ago

Yes. that is pretty good. Can you share the images and I can print them to sticker/decals?

#3925 6 years ago

I wouldn’t attempt to speak for Keith but seriously you don’t think it’s coming? Black Arrow just went back on the line. And Keith loves the lore.

#3926 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

I wouldn’t attempt to speak for Keith but seriously you don’t think it’s coming? Black Arrow just went back on the line. And Keith loves the lore.

They started producing black arrows again? Fascinating... get that code ready keith!! Such an awesome game

#3927 6 years ago

The main issue is how much owners think the game is done, compared to what JJP consider done.

IMO it feels around 70-80% with the clashing modes/MBs, mode development and goal integration, and wizard mode what needs work. Then the whole thing needs a good dose of balancing.

I would suggest JJP see it as 95% done hence the low priority - this is why owners who are not satisfied need to keep speaking up. My JJP custom is on hold until TH is finished.

#3928 6 years ago

I was in early on the preorders for this one and followed it's development from beginning, so that makes many years of me waiting for this machine and code to get done. Unfortunately my patience has an end and i have traded my Hobbit. I hope they finish the code properly, and make me regret it.

#3929 6 years ago

I hope that jjp will not become like stern !!
Get out of the pinballs, without finishing the old ones.
It's been 1.5 years since the hobbit came out and the code is still not finished.
We should perhaps be making an online petition to encourage jjp to finish the code asse fast.

#3930 6 years ago

What are you guys using to clean the trail marks in the metal ramps? My attempts at using Novus 2 have the ramps laughing at me. Thanks.

#3931 6 years ago

I use Mother's automotive wheel polish. Works a treat!

#3932 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I use Mother's automotive wheel polish. Works a treat!

Makes sense. Thanks!

#3933 6 years ago

DCA2AE43-82C0-4B1D-AF7E-B4154AB9706D (resized).jpegDCA2AE43-82C0-4B1D-AF7E-B4154AB9706D (resized).jpeg

#3934 6 years ago

From your avatar I'll bet you may just have some in your garage . . .

#3935 6 years ago

Any help is appreciated as I am a bit lost trying to find the info and looking at pics.

How many editions are there? Standard, Limited, Black Arrow? Is Smaug the Limted Edition or is it a fourth edition?

Playfields...are they the same on all models? I am talking about the actual playfield itself, not all the toys / features. Just the artwork.

Thank you,
Ned

#3936 6 years ago

Standard, LE, Smaug, Black Arrow.
LE are the most common, standards are the fewest. Black Arrows are still available new from JJP. Playfields are all the same.

#3937 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Standard, LE, Smaug, Black Arrow.
LE are the most common, standards are the fewest. Black Arrows are still available new from JJP. Playfields are all the same.

Thank you! That helps a lot.

#3938 6 years ago

How many editions are there? 4
Standard, Limited, Black Arrow? And Smaug Special Edition
Is Smaug the Limted Edition or is it a fourth edition? It's a 4th edition with different art, different armor, gold flecked Smaug head, special attract mode...all cosmetic.
Playfields...are they the same on all models? I am talking about the actual playfield itself, not all the toys / features. Just the artwork. Playfields and pf artwork is identical for all versions. Standard is missing some toys, but has the same artwork as the LE. Black arrow has different art and black balls, black armor.

#3939 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

From your avatar I'll bet you may just have some in your garage . . .

Yes, yes I do.

#3940 6 years ago

So just almost finished my Hobbit rebuild for a question for you all does the Red Light stay on behind the dragon all the time? Brightens up as a flasher but stays on the rest of true game on low. Had some led issues so not sure I sorted them all out yet or not. Thanks all

#3941 6 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

So just almost finished my Hobbit rebuild for a question for you all does the Red Light stay on behind the dragon all the time? Brightens up as a flasher but stays on the rest of true game on low. Had some led issues so not sure I sorted them all out yet or not. Thanks all

Yes...mine stays on always and flashes brighter throughout the game

#3942 6 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

mine stays on always and flashes brighter throughout the game

What's its purpose though? Ornamental or hardware status related? Always wondered...

#3943 6 years ago

I always wondered what it did. Never noticed it flash either..lol

#3944 6 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Never noticed it flash either

It flashes??????

What an odd thing.

#3945 6 years ago

To me it looks like the eye and is always present sort of like the Wizzard on WOZ it was a logical choice just part of the set that was not working so I was like hmmmm.

#3946 6 years ago

Mine flashes periodically during a game. Never really noticed it til the question was posed

#3947 6 years ago

But here is where I need help. How in the HELL does the ball have so much spin that it exits my right wire ramp, and spin itself right over to the drain? Has anyone put a rubber stopper of some sort to kill that spin? Nothing like having a great game and losing more than 1 ball this way. Makes me wanna smash the glass.....just a little.

#3948 6 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

But here is where I need help. How in the HELL does the ball have so much spin that it exits my right wire ramp, and spin itself right over to the drain? Has anyone put a rubber stopper of some sort to kill that spin? Nothing like having a great game and losing more than 1 ball this way. Makes me wanna smash the glass.....just a little.

Look back for the fix for this...pretty common and easy to fix.

#3949 6 years ago

Yeah, search through 79pages. Ugh

#3950 6 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Man this drives me crazy too -

What you want to do is bend the top part of the end of the wire form UP. That is, the circular part where the ball gets all the spin- bend that up so there is more distance between the top and bottom of the wire form. Leave the Lower part of the wire form alone. you are "opening the mouth wider" so to speak. Works - I had to do mine 3 or 4 times to get it right, it seems like you are WAY over-bending it at first but as long as you go slow and don't break the weld it will be perfectly fine.

You can insert a screwdriver or nut driver in between the top and bottom of the wireform and use it as a lever to drive them apart. Cover the screwdriver with tape or a rag so it doesn't scratch

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.50
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/79 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.