20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 260.
#3651 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Anybody have mirror blades for The Hobbit?
I have blades in all my games, except The Hobbit...

bally williams will work with slight modification.

#3652 6 years ago

Can you define slight modification?

#3653 6 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

Can you define slight modification?

notching!

#3654 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

These are nice!!!! Where are they from? Is it a sticker/decal?

I may have a set over that I currently will not use. I would know by this weekend.

#3655 6 years ago

Hello,
On the site jjp, there are two version 2.00, usa and eu, what is the difference?
If I understand correctly, there will be a great final?
Finally, some time ago, a person had summarized the set of rules but I can not find it.
Thank you
seb

#3656 6 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Hello,
On the site jjp, there are two version 2.00, usa and eu, what is the difference?
Finally, some time ago, a person had summarized the set of rules but I can not find it.
Thank you
seb

The location of the server you download it from

#3657 6 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Hello,
Thank you
seb

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet#post-3178524

#3658 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

These are nice!!!! Where are they from? Is it a sticker/decal?

Those look like the ones from Tilt Graphics.

#3659 6 years ago

Since I am lazy (and only read through 40 pages in the thread), is there a way to change the intensity of the LED strip in the backbox in the Hobbit? The strip is so bright it does an injustice to the artwork.

Also wondering if anybody has pulled the playfield protector off their machine? I purchased mine from an operator and the protector looks like hell. I don't plan to reuse it...

#3660 6 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Since I am lazy (and only read through 40 pages in the thread), is there a way to change the intensity of the LED strip in the backbox in the Hobbit? The strip is so bright it does an injustice to the artwork.
Also wondering if anybody has pulled the playfield protector off their machine? I purchased mine from an operator and the protector looks like hell. I don't plan to reuse it...

Some recommend using a filter to change the color temperature which I think accomplishes what you are hoping to do.
Here is a link to the post about the filter:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/9#post-3168161

Here is a link to the filter on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Filters-24x21-Filter-Sheet/dp/B00FXHVP6S

As for the protector I bought my WOZ with one on (brand new) and eventually cut it off. (BTW it was a PITA to cut off that thing is pretty tough.) I cut it off because it looked like doo doo and underneath was a perfect playfield. In hind sight I wish I would have left it on as my WOZ gets a ton of play and real wear is happening. I have also ordered a Protector for my TSPP and will be installing it instead of getting the playfield clearcoated. So yes you can cut it off, be careful not to damage your playfield with your knife or scissors and plan on it being difficult to cut.

#3661 6 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Some recommend using a filter to change the color temperature which I think accomplishes what you are hoping to do.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/9#post-3168161
amazon.com link »
As for the protector I bought my WOZ with one on (brand new) and eventually cut it off. (BTW it was a PITA to cut off that thing is pretty tough.) I cut it off because it looked like doo doo and underneath was a perfect playfield. In hind sight I wish I would have left it on as my WOZ gets a ton of play and real wear is happening. I have also ordered a Protector for my TSPP and will be installing it instead of getting the playfield clearcoated. So yes you can cut it off, be careful not to damage your playfield with your knife or scissors and plan on it being difficult to cut.

Thanks man! Ordered the filters and will try them out. I know my Hobbit will be a low play machine, so I may just cut the old protector off.

#3662 6 years ago

I HATE playfield protectors. Put one on my STTNG when I did a playfield swap and it lasted only maybe 100-200 games and I decided it was terrible and removed it. 1) Looks like S**T from day one 2) Looks even worse after its scratched up and crap gets under it. 3) The ball sounds weird 4) It plays weird. JUNK

#3663 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I HATE playfield protectors. Put one on my STTNG when I did a playfield swap and it lasted only maybe 100-200 games and I decided it was terrible and removed it. 1) Looks like S**T from day one 2) Looks even worse after its scratched up and crap gets under it. 3) The ball sounds weird 4) It plays weird. JUNK

Well, I took the plunge and removed mine. It took about an hour to do it carefully. The game looks so great without the worn protector in place.

#3664 6 years ago

I had a protector on my THSE and cut if off after a year and it looks and plays better. To prevent too much wear I wax it every month or two. Keeps the game shiney, fast, and protected. Also the game is brighter due to the hazy used protector out of the way. I am getting a WOZ one day and I wont get the protector on it either, but will do the radcals

#3665 6 years ago

I am having a problem with my playfield protector lifting in the center of game where lock rollover buttons are. Anyone else having this problem? Any remedy's besides taking it off? I have loosened anything that seems to be holding it down and then flattened it out . This seemed to do the trick until i checked on it later in the evening and it is floating above the buttons again.
Thanks for any advise in advance.

#3666 6 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

I am having a problem with my playfield protector lifting in the center of game where lock rollover buttons are. Anyone else having this problem? Any remedy's besides taking it off? I have loosened anything that seems to be holding it down and then flattened it out . This seemed to do the trick until i checked on it later in the evening and it is floating above the buttons again.

I have read that a bit of two sided tape can solve this

#3667 6 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

Most people will say to just remove it, and wax the playfield every 350 games.
Some will say try heating it with a hair dryer gently and see if it lays down.

I have had protectors before. I dont like the way they play and the way they trap dirt underneath that ultimately gets black and its hard to clean. Then they start to crack a bit here and there.

So, I say remove it. JMHO.....

#3668 6 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

amazon.com link »

i used masking tape same effect and some blue painters tape on a few select leds cost $0 as i have it laying around the house!

#3669 6 years ago

Has anyone tried to make under cabinet lighting for Hobbit? I know it might be odd but at Pintastic New England VIP area there were amazing uses of it all of which required the lighting to be linked to gameplay. Could that even be done with Hobbit?

#3670 6 years ago

Check with Rock Custom Pinball, he may have done something for this game.

Quoted from pinlosopher:Has anyone tried to make under cabinet lighting for Hobbit? I know it might be odd but at Pintastic New England VIP area there were amazing uses of it all of which required the lighting to be linked to gameplay. Could that even be done with Hobbit?

#3671 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlosopher:

Has anyone tried to make under cabinet lighting for Hobbit? I know it might be odd but at Pintastic New England VIP area there were amazing uses of it all of which required the lighting to be linked to gameplay. Could that even be done with Hobbit?

Thanks Lermods

Yes it can and I have done it. I have also done it on Dialed in, with Jack actually. Here is Jack checking it out.

Www.rockcustompinball.com

IMG_0134 (resized).JPGIMG_0134 (resized).JPG

IMG_0137 (resized).JPGIMG_0137 (resized).JPG

#3672 6 years ago

In exploring the 2.00 code files, I saw "there back again", do you think it's for the final mode?
Is it possible to watch the videos?
thank you

#3673 6 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

Thanks lermods
Yes it can and I have done it. I have also done it on Dialed in, with Jack actually. Here is Jack checking it out.
http://Www.rockcustompinball.com

Groovy! Any video of the hobbit kit? And on your site there is an option to bundle it with a back cabinet kit; what's that?

Quoted from Rock914:

Thanks lermods
http://Www.rockcustompinball.com

#3674 6 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

Mine started looking a bit scuffed up - and I could not stand that I could see dust and debris under the protector but could not wipe it off. So, I cut the protector off - and I have liked the look so much more. And when I see dust - I can just wipe it off

I just novus 1 it a bit, and add some good wax, let dry, buff to a shine and keep on playing. I do this about every 2 months if it needs it or not. Makes the game fast as hell for about 20 games or so, and then settles down a bit to playable speeds. Overall after having PF protectors once I doubt I will get them again.

Oh, and PF looks so much more colorful and vibrant without looking at it through plastic that dulls it, and I think reflects some of the GI lighting washing out the PF even more.

EDIT: If I had one on location I would probably get the protector - and when I brought it home for good I would remove it, and have a brand new PF. In home environments you will care for it properly so I don't think the protectors are needed there. If you are concerned with an area of the PF use mylar (not cover the whole PF with plastic). Just my 2 cents.

#3675 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlosopher:

Groovy! Any video of the hobbit kit? And on your site there is an option to bundle it with a back cabinet kit; what's that?

Sorry, no video but you could be the one to make one. I pay $20.00 for any video I don't have of my kits in action.

My backpanel illumination mod is a strip of leds that illuminates the back of the play field. It comes with an inline rremote to select colors, brightness, or modes, I also make a version that uses a smartphone app to control colors.

Chris
www.rockcustompinball.com

#3676 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Mine started looking a bit scuffed up - and I could not stand that I could see dust and debris under the protector but could not wipe it off. So, I cut the protector off - and I have liked the look so much more. And when I see dust - I can just wipe it off
I just novus 1 it a bit, and add some good wax, let dry, buff to a shine and keep on playing. I do this about every 2 months if it needs it or not. Makes the game fast as hell for about 20 games or so, and then settles down a bit to playable speeds. Overall after having PF protectors once I doubt I will get them again.
Oh, and PF looks so much more colorful and vibrant without looking at it through plastic that dulls it, and I think reflects some of the GI lighting washing out the PF even more.
EDIT: If I had one on location I would probably get the protector - and when I brought it home for good I would remove it, and have a brand new PF. In home environments you will care for it properly so I don't think the protectors are needed there. If you are concerned with an area of the PF use mylar (not cover the whole PF with plastic). Just my 2 cents.

Totally agreed and pretty much the same experience I had with a protector. Just reminded me of that plastic covered furniture of the 70's. The only time I could see a protector being a good/fair choice is for Older titles of the 80's where it would be hard to justify a tear down and cost to clear coat like BK or similar with flaking paint. Did a BK and did not like the look and constant lifting at every edge/target/drop area. Just mylar trouble areas if you really fear damage in my opinion.

#3677 6 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

In exploring the 2.00 code files, I saw "there back again", do you think it's for the final mode?
Is it possible to watch the videos?
thank you

I really hope this pin gets a final code so we can play the as it should, i hope we gets to play back again

#3678 6 years ago

What is the target "beorn" for?
When I play the multiball of smaug, how to cancel beast multiball?

#3679 6 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

What is the target "beorn" for?
When I play the multiball of smaug, how to cancel beast multiball?

Beorn target is for add-a-ball during multiball (if the inlanes lights are striving towards it).

To cancel Beast multiball during Smaug multiball you must get a Beast super jackpot and then the option to end it will be available for a few seconds via the ring button. Listen for Gandalf's "super jackpot" callout.

#3680 6 years ago

Why does everybody always want to cancel beast MB? Not a good sign if you want Out of MB in a game. Sorry, just sayin if you don't like it you prolly won't like TH very much.

#3681 6 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Why does everybody always want to cancel beast MB? Not a good sign if you want Out of MB in a game. Sorry, just sayin if you don't like it you prolly won't like TH very much.

If you don't know why then you haven't played enough...the beasts make Smaug multiball much harder as the pop ups block the ramps and orbits. If you want to kill Smaug it is much easier with the beasts out of the way.

#3682 6 years ago

I didn't know you can cancel beast multiball. Super glad about that. I feel there is too much going on between Smaug multiball, starting a mode, and going into Beast multiball. Yes, I can keep up fairly well and know what's going on – but still feel it's too much at one time. And it's certainly not a matter of not liking the game – I friggin' love TH.

Glad you asked the question!

#3683 6 years ago

I believe most want the option of canceling beast mb when to much is going on at once but it is not in there yet,I believe this is correct but may be wrong

#3684 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I believe most want the option of canceling beast mb when to much is going on at once but it is not in there yet,I believe this is correct but may be wrong

from the changelog: http://159.203.76.48/th/changelog.txt in 1.95p:
+ End Beast Multiball ring action. This is available for five seconds
after collecting a Beast Frenzy Super Jackpot if Smaug Multiball is also
running.

#3686 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

It's there. I use it frequently.

#3687 6 years ago

Just now I had another game in which I killed Smaug. Because I got a Free Play on the last shot the knocker went of. That was so cool. They should really sync the knocker to the last killing shot of Smaug so that it happens every time. It would really add a lot to that moment of the arrow hitting Smaug. How do I get into the JJP forum so that I can suggest it to Keith?

#3688 6 years ago

Just joined the club on Monday!

I'm loving this game. I am having one intermittent problem - when the ball trough kicker tries to send a ball to the shooter lane, it takes about 10 or more tries to get the ball up. Frequently it tries a bunch of times, then does a ball search, the ball finally enters the lane, and then is immediately auto-launched into the game! Makes it really hard to do a skill shot. Anybody have a suggestion? Is this just me?

#3689 6 years ago

try adjusting the kick out power, or bend the metal piece that controls the direction of the ball that is kicked out. Should be able to get it not to do that.

#3690 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

try adjusting the kick out power, or bend the metal piece that controls the direction of the ball that is kicked out. Should be able to get it not to do that.

Ok thanks, I knew I could adjust the coils, but that didn't cross my mind for some reason. Thanks!

#3691 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I also have the beast hurry up difficulty set to 6 (hardest?) I think it actually makes the game easier.

#3692 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ok thanks, I knew I could adjust the coils, but that didn't cross my mind for some reason. Thanks!

No dice. I adjusted the coil WAY down, still happening - It seems like maybe the apron is somehow blocking the ball at times. Maybe I'll see if it needs to be adjusted

#3693 6 years ago

Anyone find good side art for the hobbit?

#3694 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I adjusted the coil WAY down, still happening

Don't you want to adjust it UP? (not down?)

On mine, I had to boost the power of this coil also (by a couple units I think).

I also had to boost the balin VUK coil up 2 units.

I also boosted the right flipper coil by 2 units, to be able to backhand the right metal ramp.

My game is set at about 6.8 degrees.

#3695 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Don't you want to adjust it UP? (not down?)
On mine, I had to boost the power of this coil also (by a couple units I think).
I also had to boost the balin VUK coil up 2 units.
I also boosted the right flipper coil by 2 units, to be able to backhand the right metal ramp.
My game is set at about 6.8 degrees.

No, the problem is the ball is hitting the apron and bouncing back into the trough. I adjusted it down and it helped, but it still bounces down about half the time. The auto-launch is the really annoying part.

I guess I could try to adjust it up, but I don't want the ball to damage the apron if it's rocketing out of there too fast. Now it is sort of nicely depositing the balls on the shooter lane, and multiball hasn't been an issue.

The right ramp is really hard to hit with the right flipper - I will try that change too.

One other thing I am having an issue with is the right wireform - when the ball comes down into the inlane, it almost ALWAYS bounces out and drains. It is really annoying - I played 3 games this morning and in all 3 I lost a ball to that. IS that one of the fixes JJP offers?

#3696 6 years ago
Quoted from Zdoor:

Anyone find good side art for the hobbit?

I'm waiting to see what the new TH Pingraffix PowerBladez look like for this. They keep saying it will be out real soon. (???)

#3697 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

No, the problem is the ball is hitting the apron and bouncing back into the trough. I adjusted it down and it helped, but it still bounces down about half the time. The auto-launch is the really annoying part.
I guess I could try to adjust it up, but I don't want the ball to damage the apron if it's rocketing out of there too fast. Now it is sort of nicely depositing the balls on the shooter lane, and multiball hasn't been an issue.
The right ramp is really hard to hit with the right flipper - I will try that change too.
One other thing I am having an issue with is the right wireform - when the ball comes down into the inlane, it almost ALWAYS bounces out and drains. It is really annoying - I played 3 games this morning and in all 3 I lost a ball to that. IS that one of the fixes JJP offers?

I had the ball eject issue on my WOZ. Bending the apron tab it hits slightly towards the back of the machine fixed mine. Keep it low power so it barely makes it up.

The right wireform thing you'll have to fix yourself. It's easy. Bend the end of the wireform slightly up towards the ceiling to fix it.

#3698 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

almost ALWAYS bounces out and drains.

Oh man. I have the same (damn) problem. Super-frustrating!

I was told to bend the "O" part of the wireform UP (towards the ceiling and back of the machine). I'm going to try that next.

(thanks Pimp77, wrote before I read your post)

#3699 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Oh man. I have the same (damn) problem. Super-frustrating!
I was told to bend the "O" part of the wireform UP (towards the ceiling and back of the machine). I'm going to try that next.
(thanks Pimp77, wrote before I read your post)

Thanks to both of you! It makes it even worse when it bounces out and you hear damn Gollum go "Thief!"" -YEAH-

#3700 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Thanks to both of you! It makes it even worse when it bounces out and you hear damn Gollum go "Thief!"" -YEAH-

Ball spin outs have been a problem but are pretty easy to fix by bending the lower loop on the wireform up (towards the ceiling?) about 3/16" or as much as it takes to correct the problem.

New owners might get some insight regarding further adjustments here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-setup-tweaks-and-adjustments

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/74?hl=touchingevil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.