Topic Stats

• 7,828 posts
  • 515 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Wildbill327
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,144 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191027_094800 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_092217 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090807 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091030 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091023 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0012 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_102423 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090419 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090400 (resized).jpg
182073EA-3A86-4714-A07D-DE14034970C6 (resized).jpeg
B7D506CB-DD8C-4B4D-A4C1-A02716D2C79C (resized).jpeg
FC83295A-EEBB-44D9-8B79-4FE11917D16A (resized).jpeg
20190903_191923 (resized).jpg
20191011_105330 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7828 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 157.
#301 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Similar to WOZ. It's basically a Williams pin and they snuck a motherboard and hard drive in there.
If you can do basic repairs. You'll be fine. And so far there haven't been many issues with the number of Hobbits going out.
And I would love to assist you, should the need arrive.
LTG : )

Thanks Lloyd. With WOZ the only thing that intimidated me were the upper playfields, so with Hobbit not having them, I think I should be ok.

#302 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

They should have two memory sticks of 4 GB each for a total of 8 GB.
Easy to check. Full Menu - Utilities - scroll down to Hardware Info, that will let you know if 4 GB is in two spots.

I assume this looks right?

If so, what else could be causing the resets?

image_(resized).jpeg

#303 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Looks like memory error checking is disabled (EC)

I'm willing to bet it's bad memory, or even a bad solid state drive. Wouldn't rule out a bad power supply either. It's basically like troubleshooting a PC.

#304 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Looks right.

I'd try reseating the memory sticks.

#305 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Looks right.

I did this yesterday so hopefully it won't happen again. I will keep everyone posted.

#306 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I did this yesterday so hopefully it won't happen again. I will keep everyone posted.

I just skimmed through this thread, and it seems that 3 people have claimed to have resets since updating to the 1.10 code.

Sounds more like a bug in the software and not any hardware problems... what do you think, LTG?

#307 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I just skimmed through this thread, and it seems that 3 people have claimed to have resets since updating to the 1.10 code.
Sounds more like a bug in the software and not any hardware problems... what do you think, LTG?

It happened to me 1 time on 1.01 and 1 time on 1.10.

#308 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

what do you think, LTG?

I think you shouldn't have give me a thumbs down in the STNG GI thread.

#309 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

It happened to me 1 time on 1.01 and 1 time on 1.10.

As a general rule - a sudden reboot usually means a bad stick of memory in a computer, just like getting a BSOD and subsequent reboot on a Windows PC. If a computer suddenly locks up, it can still mean a bad stick of memory but also could mean a bad hard drive. Sometimes when I see a bad solid state hard drive in a computer the system just completely locks up and freezes then you have to just shut it off and boot again, it will do it very randomly. Two 4GB sticks of memory is very cheap (under $50), so you might want to change them out and see if it happens again.

#310 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I think you shouldn't have give me a thumbs down in the STNG GI thread.

I thought you shouldn't have given me a bunch of thumbs down in other threads either.. I'm a believer of tough love Lloyd.

#311 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I thought you shouldn't have given me a bunch of thumbs down in other threads either.

What, two or three. I give them when deserved, not for correct advise.

#312 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

What, two or three. I give them when deserved, not for correct advise.

Thank you Lloyd, much appreciated. We truly value your services around here.

#313 3 years ago

Does anyone know if custom images can be loaded into The Hobbit as of 1.10? My uncle and I saw all 3 Hobbit films together in theaters and before seeing Battle of the Five Armies we took a picture together outside of the theater. My uncle unexpectedly passed away late last year and I would love to have the picture of him and I up on the game.

#314 3 years ago

I'm having an issue where the ball isn't always successfully served up from the ball trough to the plunger. It looks like the ball is being deflected back into the trough by the ball keeper (the tab that closes the ball trough when the playfield is raised.) Anyone else experiencing something similar or have any suggestions?

#315 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Looks right.

Memory slot failures have been the bane of many hardware manufacturers. Sony laptops have had this exact problem for years, random lockups etc.
Sometimes the fix is to get thicker modules, sometimes the fix is to use different ram.
I have had to work on this a lot in the past. Generally different ram that fits snugly fixes a memory slot problem for good.

The problem is diagnosing it, very difficult in an environment that changes temperature and is subject to vibration.

With the advent of SSD drives, and the Hard Disk also being RAM, one can also have a bad SSD and exhibit similar issues.
This happens especially if the OS caches to the drive and uses virtual memory.

So, Like Lloyd said, try re-seating or replacing the RAM or switch them around. Sometimes the RAM closest to the CPU doesnt like to get warmed up as much as the other one.

#316 3 years ago

Have you tried increasing the power to the ball trough VUK in settings? I had to up the VUK ball trough coil power a few times in order for balls to consistently eject.

#318 3 years ago

I'm pretty sure with the latest update, they suggest upping the strenght for the upkickers.

#319 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

I'm having an issue where the ball isn't always successfully served up from the ball trough to the plunger. It looks like the ball is being deflected back into the trough by the ball keeper (the tab that closes the ball trough when the playfield is raised.) Anyone else experiencing something similar or have any suggestions?

Yes I had this very same problem when I first unboxed. You're going to have to lift the pf and bend a piece of metal back a tiny bit. I'm traveling now or I would send you the email correspondence I had with Llyod. It was an issue on WOZ as well, so there is an easy and known fix. Send Lloyd a pm and he can send you the fix, he's well aware of this.

#320 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

+1, seems to come and go which is weird.

#321 3 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Yes I had this very same problem when I first unboxed. You're going to have to lift the pf and bend a piece of metal back a tiny bit. I'm traveling now or I would send you the email correspondence I had with Llyod. It was an issue on WOZ as well, so there is an easy and known fix. Send Lloyd a pm and he can send you the fix, he's well aware of this.

Exactly what I did...bend the metal tab up towards the backglass. Works perfect now.

I swapped positions of the memory sticks and didn't get a reset last night. Will keep monitoring, but fingers crossed.

#322 3 years ago

Here's a tip thanks to TNT Amusements on how to prevent ball hang ups on the far left habit rail while still retaining a factory look.

TNT Amusements used what I believe is the post with threaded top in the link below to prevent ball hang ups on the far left habit rail.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=323

hobbit_post_(resized).JPG

#323 3 years ago

such a POST did not fixed my problem, on the right the ball could still stop

i have done this with an old Cliffy

IMG_5148_(resized).jpg

#324 3 years ago

Yeah mirror blades

IMG_5144_(resized).jpg

IMG_5145_(resized).jpg

IMG_5146_(resized).jpg

IMG_5147_(resized).jpg

#325 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here's a tip thanks to TNT Amusements on how to prevent ball hang ups on the far left habit rail while still retaining a factory look.
TNT Amusements used what I believe is the post with threaded top in the link below to prevent ball hang ups on the far left habit rail.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=323

ยป YouTube video

Also make sure you collect all the Hobbits!1

#326 3 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

Yeah mirror blades

Looks good. I too have some coming today but not mirror. Pics coming

#327 3 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

Yeah mirror blades

Looks great!

Is this standard mirror or black mirror blades?

Also, any issues when lifting the playfield with it touching the mirrors or scratching them?

#328 3 years ago

its standard mirror 0,8 mm i think

no Problems or scratches when i open it

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

I think super Spinner is classed as a mini wizard. I wonder if feast/beast frenzy is the other 2?

That would be my guess... but I haven't stated this in the rulesheet.

Quoted from FalconPunch:

3x major = movie multiball inserts.

agreed

I've read somewhere that it is qualified by completing all 31 modes. If so that seems extremely difficult... I think even starting all 31 would be an amazing accomplishment. We'll find out as the code progresses... probably only Keith and Ted really know right now.

Quoted from FalconPunch:

Does the end of smaug multiball entail killing smaug?

Don't know but Keith has stated that Smaug multiball can be "won" now so I would guess so. Also don't know if you get a special reward (besides points) for doing this...

Quoted from FalconPunch:

Can someone take glass off and check the end of smaug multiball? For science.

Yes please... and video it if possible... (though Metahugh has gotten close (in the middle of level 4 of the smaug multiball) in at least 1 video).

#330 3 years ago

I went with these that also go on LOTR.

VZM.IMG_20160521_161656_(resized).jpg

VZM.IMG_20160521_180425_(resized).jpg

#331 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I went with these that also go on LOTR.

Looks awesome! Was going to mirror blade it, but I ordered these instead- thanks for the pics!

#332 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Looks awesome! Was going to mirror blade it, but I ordered these instead- thanks for the pics!

I have mirror on my AFM bUT just wanted something different. I like them. Turned out nice.

#333 3 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Yes please... and video it if possible... (though Metahugh has gotten close (in the middle of level 4 of the smaug multiball) in at least 1 video).

Ok. Looks like you DO kill smaug in smaug multiball.

So I guess there is no mini wizard equivalent like destroy the ring, and the arkenstone modes are just going to have to be super epic

Screenshot_2016-05-22-12-07-49~01_(resized).png

#334 3 years ago

Ok I know a few of us have had reset issues. I have now had 4 in one month. 2 tonight. Seems to happen in miltiball hitting the pop bumpers. Anyone else?

#335 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Ok I know a few of us have had reset issues. I have now had 4 in one month. 2 tonight. Seems to happen in miltiball hitting the pop bumpers. Anyone else?

Well you know I have as we've been talking about it but just to put it out, it is definitely a larger problem than just a few of us I think. I've had 3 in the last week alone, 5 total that I can remember. All when the ball goes into the pops, most from what I remember during multiballs.

#336 3 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Well you know I have as we've been talking about it but just to put it out, it is definitely a larger problem than just a few of us I think. I've had 3 in the last week alone, 5 total that I can remember. All when the ball goes into the pops, most from what I remember during multiballs.

I know Lloyd is talking with the tech guy at JJP. Hopefully it's just a software bug.

#338 3 years ago

I did have my first reset as well with new code. Also my upper continually goes up and down when I hit the right flipper button. Started right after the reset. Haven't messed with it yet.

#339 3 years ago

Well it looks like I'll avoid updating to 1.10 when I get my machine next week. I'll wait for JJP to address the reset issues with it, disappointing as I really want to try the latest code.

#340 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Ok. Looks like you DO kill smaug in smaug multiball.
So I guess there is no mini wizard equivalent like destroy the ring, and the arkenstone modes are just going to have to be super epic

Well, Keith did say that the game will have 3 mini wizard modes, 3 major wizard modes and 1 super wizard mode. I'm not sure if Smaug multiball is classified as a wizard mode or not. Typically a wizard mode is reached when another set of objectives / modes is completed or at least attempted.

I'm going to guess that Smaug muliball is not a wizard mode and is a traditional multiball mode like Emerald City multiball in WOZ, which is not considered a wizard mode either. Like Emerald City multiball I think Smaug multiball is intended to be the main mulitball in the game that can be started by most players.

In LOTR "Destory the Ring" and in WOZ "Battle the Wicked Witch" can be attempted after a set number of objectives is attempted. I'm sure something along those lines is coming for TH.

Personally I don't think we've seen anything yet in terms of just how deep this game will be.

#341 3 years ago

How do you get the Dwarf, Man and Elf. I know you hit the bank targets but mine are already lite up.

#342 3 years ago

As far as resets go, has anyone re-installed the 1.01 .iso and 1.10 patch? To see if its just a patching issue?

I am not having resets, I also have the top pop bumper turned down a notch from the other 2.

#343 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Well it looks like I'll avoid updating to 1.10 when I get my machine next week. I'll wait for JJP to address the reset issues with it, disappointing as I really want to try the latest code.

Your game will most likely have the latest code on it, I would think.

#344 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

As far as resets go, has anyone re-installed the 1.01 .iso and 1.10 patch? To see if its just a patching issue?
I am not having resets, I also have the top pop bumper turned down a notch from the other 2.

What do you have your pop bumpers set at?

#345 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

What do you have your pop bumpers set at?

The top one is down 1, the left is default, the right is up 1.
The top one was sending STDM too often so I turned it down 1 or 2.

Initially the ball was going back and forth between the left and top too much on my game.
Now it seems more random and not wearing a track between 2 of the pops.

#346 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The top one is down 1, the right is default, the left is up 1.
The top one was sending STDM too often so I turned it down 1 or 2.

I noticed when I went into diagnostics screen, there were 4 errors. Those are the 4 resets I have had. I will turn down the pop bumpers and see what happens.

#347 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I noticed when I went into diagnostics screen, there were 4 errors. Those are the 4 resets I have had. I will turn down the pop bumpers and see what happens.

I also have the upper left sling up 1. It seems to keep momentum better during multiball.

#348 3 years ago

Another reason I love JJP's operating system- so many adjustments can be made for almost every mechanical part on the playfield so you can dial in everything perfectly, to what works best for you. That is one thing I loved about WOZ.. The interface is very customizable, yet easy to figure out.

Looking forward to seeing how the reset issue is resolved.

#350 3 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

I did have my first reset as well with new code. Also my upper continually goes up and down when I hit the right flipper button. Started right after the reset. Haven't messed with it yet.

Check the plugs into the back of the metal box in the bottom of your cab. Your "hold" coil isn't working and I'll bet that plug is loose. I had the same problem. Push all those plugs in and make sure they're snug.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 27.50
$ 88.00
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
There are 7828 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 157.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside