IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 260.
#3401 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Still learning my newly arrived LE (and loving it) – have read the posts about the backstab but still don't understand it. Is the diverter supposed to come down? Mine does not.
It seems weird to hit backstab then try and go up the ramp just to hit the beast on the backside – when you could've more easily just got him from the front. What's the purpose? Are there more points? Do you guys use this?
I love a good skill shot but this one just seems too weird. Would love your insight. Thanks.

Hi guys – I hate to keep asking the same question but that's how much this is bugging me! Ha ha. Just don't understand the backstab. Someone said it is like a MM troll bomb, but I'm not sure that's the case. A troll bomb registers a hit. When I hit backstab it literally does nothing.

Take a look at my original post if you can shed some light on what is probably a cool feature that I just can't figure out!

Thanks.

#3402 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Hi guys – I hate to keep asking the same question but that's how much this is bugging me! Ha ha. Just don't understand the backstab. Someone said it is like a MM troll bomb, but I'm not sure that's the case. A troll bomb registers a hit. When I hit backstab it literally does nothing.
Take a look at my original post if you can shed some light on what is probably a cool feature that I just can't figure out!
Thanks.

I understand it as, you have to hit it when the ball hits the backside of the pop-up. When in test mode there is a trigger that senses when you tap it from behind.

#3403 6 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Just elbow grease and Mothers metal polish. After polishing, I washed the ramp with water, dawn and a toothbrush to remove any residual polish. It's all back together now, game looks and plays flawlessly.

Damn if Hobbit isnt the finest looking machine ever built!

#3404 6 years ago

Just posted a mint Smaug hobbit for sale in the market...has radcals and a little over 100 plays. Got another one in a large package deal and am letting this one go. Price is negotiable

#3405 6 years ago

sometimes, the balin vuk takes twice to eject a ball. weird?

software version 1.90, factory reset.

the other thing i had to do:

i had to boost coil level from 8 to 12 so a ball would reliably pop in the shooter lane. but in test mode, it always works.

i have a feeling test modes use full coil power and ignores software limit settings...

#3406 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Thanks.

I think I have it figured out. In every firmware before 1.90 backstab would kill a beast if I had a fully powered ring. Meaning if one pops up and you miss it, you can quickly hit backstab and it would register a hit. Ever since 1.90 though, it has not worked. It would reliably work for me before, and now after the update it doesn't do anything, from forwards or backwards. I'm sure it's just a bug that will be fixed, just like reverse power windlance.

#3407 6 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

I think I have it figured out. In every firmware before 1.90 backstab would kill a beast if I had a fully powered ring. Meaning if one pops up and you miss it, you can quickly hit backstab and it would register a hit. Ever since 1.90 though, it has not worked. It would reliably work for me before, and now after the update it doesn't do anything, from forwards or backwards. I'm sure it's just a bug that will be fixed, just like reverse power windlance.

Sounds right. I thought there was more to it – but I only had the game a week before installing 1.9. We'll wait and see. Thanks for your reply.

#3408 6 years ago

Hey, Hobbit owners! Here is hoping you might lend a hand. Just recently, my ball has been getting stuck on the ramp after kicking up the Radagast VUK. A month or so ago, it would only occur on occasion; not it happens every time. I'm still running 1.9 code. Coil strength on Radagast VUK is 23 (20 on Balin). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

20170504_193127 (1) (resized).jpg20170504_193127 (1) (resized).jpg

#3409 6 years ago

What's the steepness of the playfield? Maybe simply steepening the PF could help. If I remember right I'm about 7.0 degrees but it has been a while since I levelled so I might be slightly off on that. IF you do steepen the game a little, you might need to bump up the power slightly on the flippers to still be able to make the ramps. Not too strong though as then you might risk damaging the beast pop-ups.

See any humps/divots where the ball is landing which could hold it up there and not allow it to start travelling down?

Those are my first (and probably only) thoughts to your situation.

Darin

#3410 6 years ago

if that doent work you could look at adding a washer or adjusting the position of the part that drops the ball.

#3411 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Hey, Hobbit owners! Here is hoping you might lend a hand. Just recently, my ball has been getting stuck on the ramp after kicking up the Radagast VUK. A month or so ago, it would only occur on occasion; not it happens every time. I'm still running 1.9 code. Coil strength on Radagast VUK is 23 (20 on Balin). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Try adding a washer under the VUK wireform mount to raise it slightly.
This will give it a little more clearance and bounce room.

Your VUK height looks slightly lower than mine from the photo.

Adjust your playfield pitch to 7.1 degrees, i think the game plays well at that pitch.

#3412 6 years ago

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll check the pitch on the machine when I get home; frankly, I'm not sure what it is. Great idea on the washer...I'll try that too. Appreciate the help!

#3413 6 years ago

Looks like either your vuk wireform needs to be raised or the ramp wireform lowered. What does it look like where the ramp connects at the Inlanes? Have you had anything apart recently? Maybe the lower ramp connections isn't tight?

#3414 6 years ago

I still have a recurring problem with my Goblin Pop-up. I've previously posted it on this thread (p. 55), but the problem persists. After several hits, the Goblin head stops popping up. The LED lights up, but the steel flap only moves upward above the PF surface about 1/16". I then stop game play & manually pop him up & twist head slightly. It then pops up for only a few additional hits & then quits working.

With the PF raised on skids and manual movement, there is absolutely no obstruction or impingement of the mechanism. It moves freely without hitting the PF wood edge. The Goblin head does not hit the plastic insert. I even removed the insert to make sure.

With the PF down & in the test mode, the Goblin steel flap only moves upwards 1/16"' to 1/8" above the PF surface, even after twisting the head ever so slightly. The other Pop-ups (Orc, Warg & Spider) work fine. In their test modes, the the steel flaps move about 1/2" above the PF & their mechanisms make a loader noise.

With the PF raised against the back box & in the test mode, the Goblin mechanism slides up to the steel flap & stops. With the other pop-ups, their mechanisms slide up to & hit the steel flaps and, as stated previously, make a loader noise. It's as if the Goblin coil is not strong enough/defective.

Any thoughts? I really think it might be a defective coil/sleeve. I really don't know why the slight head twist allows the mechanism to work a couple of times, since there is absolutely no obstruction or impingement to movement.

I emailed Victor 3+ wks. ago and he has yet to respond.

If it is the coil, how do you switch it out for a new one? I ordered a coil from the Hobbit Parts Store for $35 plus $28 two-day shipping. To switch coils, I assume you have to remove the two flap compression springs, lift off the steel flap, unplug the respective Molex connectors, & unscrew the 4 anchoring screws of the mechanism & pull entire mechanism out.

Thanks for any replies.

#3415 6 years ago

Page C-50 of the manual available for download at jjp's web site.

#3416 6 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

I really don't know why the slight head twist allows the mechanism to work a couple of times

I don't know exactly. But looking at the schematics, moving the head might re-align the assembly that rides on part #7? (pop-up guide shaft).

Any play at all on that shaft?

I think more experienced techs would also tell you to measure voltage at your coil? (to rule out bad coil).

EDIT: Also make sure all screws (parts 17 on the schematics) are tight. Play in them could "derail" the upward linear motion.

#3417 6 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

If it is the coil,

I doubt it.

Quoted from docdeath:

o switch coils, I assume you have to remove the two flap compression springs, lift off the steel flap, unplug the respective Molex connectors, & unscrew the 4 anchoring screws of the mechanism & pull entire mechanism out.

And then tear it all apart to switch coils. Getting it all back together and having it move freely is a huge time and aggravation ordeal. If it were me, I'd pull it out. Loosen, tweak, retighten, etc. etc. until it moves up and down freely.

I took one apart to make some pictures. And I marked where things lined up and screws went. And still wish I hadn't done that. I spent an hour tweaking things back to normal. I've included what torn apart looks like.

LTG : )

popupassy. (resized).JPGpopupassy. (resized).JPG

#3418 6 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

I still have a recurring problem with my Goblin Pop-up. I've previously posted it on this thread (p. 55), but the problem persists. After several hits, the Goblin head stops popping up. The LED lights up, but the steel flap only moves upward above the PF surface about 1/16". I then stop game play & manually pop him up & twist head slightly. It then pops up for only a few additional hits & then quits working.
With the PF raised on skids and manual movement, there is absolutely no obstruction or impingement of the mechanism. It moves freely without hitting the PF wood edge. The Goblin head does not hit the plastic insert. I even removed the insert to make sure.
With the PF down & in the test mode, the Goblin steel flap only moves upwards 1/16"' to 1/8" above the PF surface, even after twisting the head ever so slightly. The other Pop-ups (Orc, Warg & Spider) work fine. In their test modes, the the steel flaps move about 1/2" above the PF & their mechanisms make a loader noise.
With the PF raised against the back box & in the test mode, the Goblin mechanism slides up to the steel flap & stops. With the other pop-ups, their mechanisms slide up to & hit the steel flaps and, as stated previously, make a loader noise. It's as if the Goblin coil is not strong enough/defective.
Any thoughts? I really think it might be a defective coil/sleeve. I really don't know why the slight head twist allows the mechanism to work a couple of times, since there is absolutely no obstruction or impingement to movement.
If it is the coil, how do you switch it out for a new one? I ordered a coil from the Hobbit Parts Store for $35 plus $28 two-day shipping. To switch coils, I assume you have to remove the two flap compression springs, lift off the steel flap, unplug the respective Molex connectors, & unscrew the 4 anchoring screws of the mechanism & pull entire mechanism out.
Thanks for any replies.

Hi there,

I had this problem almost a year ago with my Orc Mech. I raised a ticket with JJP and Victor replied with the following and after just a slight push forward it's been fine ever since...

"I do have something to try before you take the mech out . pop up the mech in test or force it up by picking up the trap door. ******WARNING******** the door can be very sharp and has been known to cut people. while its raised use a rag to protect you hand and with the palm of you hand push the Back of the mech slightly. then try just to adjust it a bit in case it was binding up. From the bottom can you push the mech and does it Come up smooth?"

Cheers
Geoff

#3419 6 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Thanks for any replies.

check the wiring...I had the same problem and messed with the plug and it started working..

#3420 6 years ago

Hi guys – any thoughts on how to stop the ball from getting trapped above the gate? The ball sits on the plastic and I have to take the glass out every time. Seems like there should be a post mounted on the plastic. Thanks.

IMG_9347 (resized).JPGIMG_9347 (resized).JPG

#3421 6 years ago

Kaneda's Pinball Podcast just did an interview with Jack. He said that there would be more code coming for The Hobbit.

#3422 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Kaneda's Pinball Podcast just did an interview with Jack. He said that there would be more code coming for The Hobbit.

Yes!

#3423 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Hi guys – any thoughts on how to stop the ball from getting trapped above the gate? The ball sits on the plastic and I have to take the glass out every time. Seems like there should be a post mounted on the plastic. Thanks.

I don't understand where the ball is getting stuck, and I don't see the ball in your picture. Can you elaborate and/or post a picture that shows the stuck ball please?

#3424 6 years ago

Am not getting my hopes up until I hear it's actual expansion as opposed to bug fixes/reserve ball play. I heard from JJP that they are going to make the last beta an official release which does nothing for me to be honest. Only time will tell if JJP support their all games like WOZ...

#3425 6 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Am not getting my hopes up until I hear it's actual expansion as opposed to bug fixes/reserve ball play. I heard from JJP that they are going to make the last beta an official release which does nothing for me to be honest. Only time will tell if JJP support their all games like WOZ...

I just listened to the podcast. I think the code will come and feel loads better just hearing Jack talk about it. Go JJP!

#3426 6 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I just listened to the podcast. I think the code will come and feel loads better just hearing Jack talk about it. Go JJP!

That's great to hear, I still need to listen to it.

#3427 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I don't understand where the ball is getting stuck, and I don't see the ball in your picture. Can you elaborate and/or post a picture that shows the stuck ball please?

Thanks for asking. Wasn't 100% sure myself that the post made sense! Ha ha. Anyway here's a picture of where the ball gets stuck. Happens all the time. Seems like a perfect ball trap that should've been caught when designing the game.

I could drill through the plastic and install a post, but hate to do that obviously. Any suggestions? Thanks!

IMG_9353 (resized).JPGIMG_9353 (resized).JPG

#3428 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

I could drill through the plastic and install a post, but hate to do that obviously. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Not sure you can do anything without altering look but a small triangle shaped foam block--maybe black to blend might make it bounce/roll off? It would cover an inch of your plastic there...? That's a removable solution at least with no damage.

#3429 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Thanks for asking. Wasn't 100% sure myself that the post made sense! Ha ha. Anyway here's a picture of where the ball gets stuck. Happens all the time. Seems like a perfect ball trap that should've been caught when designing the game.

I'll have to look at my game, but how does the ball get up on the plastic? I've never had a ball stuck there before.

#3430 6 years ago

Install one of those rubber footings that go on the bottom of shelf speakers maybe. It's adhesive and would pop right off if it doesn't work.

#3431 6 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Thanks for any replies.

Its possible that the leaf switch is registering a false hit and lowering the mech.
Try opening it a lot and see if it raises, then adjust until it works properly.
I had this exact problem on my warg mech.

#3432 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

I have seen this before, the game needs to be toned down a bit.
The game is too active.
You have too many air-balls.
I have shot balls past the backboard and into the cabinet, its fun but breaks things.
Adjust things down a bit and try to get rid of them. Tweak things by bending down targets and switches. Lower flipper power a little etc.

It is totally possible to have a game play super fast and still have the balls rolling on the table and not get airborne.
Really, air-balls (though fun) or too many of them is considered bad.

#3433 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

the game needs to be toned down a bit.

My game is set at 6.8 degrees.

The only coil power changes I made (from the factory settings) are Balin VUK and trough VUK. 2 units more than default I think.

Did you guys have to really tweak your coil power settings that much?

#3434 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Just leave that ball there and add another ball to the game for playing. Problem solved!

#3435 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Anyway here's a picture of where the ball gets stuck. Happens all the time.

I have never had one stuck there before. I did once on top of a pop barrel - but the new right ramp will likely prevent that. I am with another poster - I would go to lowes and get a clear rubber that you can put under speakers and the like to prevent it from scratching the floor or bookshelf. That would likely clear that up for you and can be removed easily anytime.

#3436 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I have never had one stuck there before.

Too many air-balls and the balls can go anywhere.

#3437 6 years ago

Too many air-balls and the balls can go anywhere.

True, you can get them from drop targets popping up or the beasts popping up in multi ball for sure

#3438 6 years ago

I had to turn down my flipper strength hen i first got mine. Game i at 7 degrees

#3439 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

My game is set at 6.8 degrees.
The only coil power changes I made (from the factory settings) are Balin VUK and trough VUK. 2 units more than default I think.
Did you guys have to really tweak your coil power settings that much?

I spent a couple days tweaking flipper coils to get it just right.

Right now with the PF pitch at 7.1 degrees (average, checked 3 areas) the left is at 26 and the right is at 27.
This can change as the wall voltages change.
When the street power is s little low I have to change the flippers to 27 on the left and 28 for the right.

The right flipper needs slightly more power than the left to consistently make the ramp from a cradled position.
In all cases you need just the right power to keep balls from flying off the ramp and wireforms, and yet strong enough to make solid shots consistently.

All of the other settings, after dialing them in, dont seem to need adjusting that much.
I also have the lower pop bumper set 1 increment less than the others. Seems more controllable that way and less cheap drains.

Depending on your street current and voltage your mileage will most likely vary from this.

#3440 6 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on the ball getting stuck. Solid suggestions. I will tone down the game a bit because it is likely coming from air balls.

Also like the idea of a removable adhesive and will experiment with that.

But I also have to say the idea of leaving the ball there and just putting another one in the game is genius! A little bit of pinball art inside the game! And trust me, that ball is going nowhere when it sitting there.

Weird it's not a common problem though – it looks like such a trap for the ball. I thought my post would be filled with a bunch of 'me too'. So the good news is that it's not a common problem and if I tone down the game a bit it'll likely take care of it. Removable adhesive will be next.

Thanks again guys!

#3441 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on the ball getting stuck. Solid suggestions. I will tone down the game a bit because it is likely coming from air balls.
Also like the idea of a removable adhesive and will experiment with that.
But I also have to say the idea of leaving the ball there and just putting another one in the game is genius! A little bit of pinball art inside the game! And trust me, that ball is going nowhere when it sitting there.
Weird it's not a common problem though – it looks like such a trap for the ball. I thought my post would be filled with a bunch of 'me too'. So the good news is that it's not a common problem and if I tone down the game a bit it'll likely take care of it. Removable adhesive will be next.
Thanks again guys!

The good news is that IF the ball comes loose you'll get another multi-ball. Which are kind of hard to get in the hobbit anyway

#3442 6 years ago

My Warg mech is getting stuck open and either won't go back down or goes down slowly. I've worked on it, but can't seem to permanently fix it. It feels like it binds up in the second half of its travel. It's not catching on the playfield, what other areas do I need to check?

#3443 6 years ago
Quoted from JamesMxP:

I've worked on it, but can't seem to permanently fix it.

I hate to say it, but remove the mech, try loosening and adjusting the framework better. It can be quite the chore, time killer and frustrating. But well worth it when you get it right.

#3444 6 years ago

I finally got around to putting in the ground loop isolator and found that the static was gone but the callouts were very quiet. I went into the settings and bumped it up to max and still could barely hear Gandalf. Suggestions?

#3445 6 years ago

Best game ever last night. Took over 30 minutes. Killed Smaug for first time and made it to all 3 mini wizard modes. Was my first time to battle of 5 armies. 3 ball with extra ball on free game. Funny thing is my last 2 balls sucked big time lasting maybe 30 seconds max for less than 20,000 points probably.

IMG_1588 (resized).JPGIMG_1588 (resized).JPG

#3446 6 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

I finally got around to putting in the ground loop isolator and found that the static was gone but the callouts were very quiet. I went into the settings and bumped it up to max and still could barely hear Gandalf. Suggestions?

Replace the 3.5mm audio cable with a higher quality cable.

#3447 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I doubt it.

And then tear it all apart to switch coils. Getting it all back together and having it move freely is a huge time and aggravation ordeal. If it were me, I'd pull it out. Loosen, tweak, retighten, etc. etc. until it moves up and down freely.
I took one apart to make some pictures. And I marked where things lined up and screws went. And still wish I hadn't done that. I spent an hour tweaking things back to normal. I've included what torn apart looks like.

Quoted from ulmpharmd:

check the wiring...I had the same problem and messed with the plug and it started working..

The Goblin mechanism is now working correctly. It was not the coil (thank goodness!). With the PF raised up against the back box, I noticed that if I manually moved the pop-up guide shaft forward about 1/2" and then test fired, the mechanism worked normally like the others. The guide shaft slides through a centering bracket. The hole in the bracket is surrounded by a short blue synthetic sleeve. Even though the shaft moved through the sleeve with absolutely no resistance, I added a micro drop of high grade/premium machine oil. As an after thought, I also disconnected & then reconnected the coil plug. I then tested the mode & it worked fine. So either the lubrication did the trick, or there was a poor connection at the plug.

I don't like using oil but I didn't have any graphite. With pinball play & the eventual production of the "dreaded black dust", the centering bracket aperture may get "gummed up". I'll have to wait & see.

#3448 6 years ago

I spent a couple days tweaking flipper coils to get it just right.

Thanks for taking the time to post. Awesome information.

#3449 6 years ago
Quoted from JamesMxP:

My Warg mech is getting stuck open and either won't go back down or goes down slowly. I've worked on it, but can't seem to permanently fix it. It feels like it binds up in the second half of its travel. It's not catching on the playfield, what other areas do I need to check?

If there isnt anything underneath hitting it then Its probably bent.

The black metal weldment that holds the up and down slider is of fairly soft steel.

Pull out he PF onto its maintenance rails and push up the warg mech manually.
It should have zero resistance and drop like a rock.
If it binds at all, raise the mech (push it up from the bottom) and push it towards the back of the PF a bit (bend it a little).

Sometimes the binding is half way down the track, lower the mech and bend it at a lower position, you get the point...

Be careful the metal lid is super sharp like a razor, tape the edges with masking tape if necessary.

Most of the mechs that bind seem to benefit from being bent back a little.

Do this either towards the back or towards the front in small increments until there is no binding at all.

Again properly adjusted the mech should drop like a rock.

#3450 6 years ago

Its probably bent.
The black metal weldment that holds the up and down slider is of fairly soft steel.
Pull out he PF onto its maintenance rails and push up the warg mech manually.
It should have zero resistance and drop like a rock.
If it binds at all, raise the mech (push it up from the bottom) and push it towards the back of the PF a bit (bend it a little).
Be careful the metal lid is super sharp like a razor, tape the edges with masking tape if necessary.
Most of the mechs that bind seem to benefit from being bent back a little.
Do this either towards the back or towards the front in small increments until there is no binding at all.
Again properly adjusted the mech should drop like a rock.

I have had to adjust my leaf switches from time to time, and lightly bend them forward when they get a little slower to drop. But, when tuned they drop like a rock - and register hits very well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.