By Eryeal

1 year ago

Stats

• 3,598 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by elf70
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 507 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMAG0204.jpg
IMAG0205.jpg
IMAG0208.jpg
20170623_001829 (resized).jpg
IMG_3170 (resized).JPG
20170204_212146 (resized).jpg
Modes (resized).PNG
IMG_0081 (resized).JPG
IMG_0082 (resized).JPG
Trollface (resized).JPG
20170610_120303 (resized).jpg
IMG_1588 (resized).JPG
IMG_9353 (resized).JPG
IMG_9347 (resized).JPG
popupassy. (resized).JPG
20170504_193127 (1) (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3598 posts in topic. You are on page 68 of 72.
#3351 42 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Below the whole assembly is a locknut, which holds a rubber stoppr looking thing that raises or lowers the pop up. You might lower it a little so the trap door is flush with the playfield.
LTG : )

Looked at and tried this. Didn't have much effect, so the stopper probably wasn't interfering. My update kit should be arriving this week and I'll see if it's any better once the rear mylar for the pop ups has been installed. Maybe help level it off. Thanks LTG.

#3352 42 days ago

I just emailed jjp asking about a final code update. I'll report back once I hear something.

#3353 42 days ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I just emailed jjp asking about a final code update. I'll report back once I hear something.

I have done the same about a week ago. Was thanked for my input, told it would be forwarded, but haven't heard back yet. The more voices that express frustration, the better chances of a favorable outcome.

It took stern two years to update avengers code after a significant campaign by users. I would not expect jjp to act in a similar way.

#3354 42 days ago

Radio silence over at JJP google forum on code updates. I really wish they would have at least acknowledged owners there but zero from JJP. I sold my Hobbit because of its weak code and JJPs lack of acknowledgment. Game has what i would call long code but not deep. Sorta like a long boring movie with lots of scenes that mean nothing in the end. To many gimmies to collect the 5 ruins. Ball bounces around with no skill from player to collect most of the ruins. I seen the entire game by day 2 of owning. I hate that this is the way this game ended up being for me because i so much wanted to love this game!

#3355 42 days ago

Contacting them directly is the only way to let them know how their customer base feel. I called last week about the code and spoke to Frank, he emailed my concern to Jack and Keith.

Bottom line for me is no Hobbit code, no Dialled In order or game #4, etc.

#3356 42 days ago

I just heard back. Didn't get much, but he said Hobbit code coming in "near future". Also said jjp#4 coming soon. I expressed my hopes of final wizard mode and more call outs. They just said hopefully the update meets expectations, but not saying what's in it yet. Anyway, sounds like at least hope of it soon.

#3357 42 days ago

Thanks, acknowledgement is all I was hoping for.

#3358 42 days ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I just heard back. Didn't get much, but he said Hobbit code coming in "near future". Also said jjp#4 coming soon. I expressed my hopes of final wizard mode and more call outs. They just said hopefully the update meets expectations, but not saying what's in it yet. Anyway, sounds like at least hope of it soon.

Great to hear. I emailed Jack as well and have posted my concerns over on the JJP Google Group.

#3359 41 days ago

Still learning my newly arrived LE (and loving it) – have read the posts about the backstab but still don't understand it. Is the diverter supposed to come down? Mine does not.

It seems weird to hit backstab then try and go up the ramp just to hit the beast on the backside – when you could've more easily just got him from the front. What's the purpose? Are there more points? Do you guys use this?

I love a good skill shot but this one just seems too weird. Would love your insight. Thanks.

#3360 41 days ago

Try to think of it like an MM troll bomb. With the button it's like a Virtual hit on the pop up rarget when available. No gate or anything complicated. Simply a Free hit to the pop up target.

#3361 41 days ago

Made it to Five Armies for the first time last night. It was epic! Almost got Smaug, too. But balls drained when it was time to load windlance. AARGH! What a fun time.

#3362 40 days ago

I replaced my ramp flaps last night. Wouldn't say it's an easy process, but not too bad. Helps to have a rivet clinching tool, which I have. Jjp provides step by step instructions, follow them and you'll be fine. Requires removal of both side wireforms and unplugging a few connectors. The optos on the ramps can be a little fiddly getting back on as the plastic mounts tend to bend. Also have to be a little careful with the rgb light connector by the drop near smaug, it's pretty small and a little tedious to unplug. Took me about 2 hrs, but I could do it in half the time if I had to do it again.

Before and after pics.

20170516_190748 (resized).jpg
20170516_212238 (resized).jpg

#3363 40 days ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I replaced my ramp flaps last night. Wouldn't say it's an easy process, but not too bad. Helps to have a rivet clinching tool, which I have. Jjp provides step by step instructions, follow them and you'll be fine. Requires removal of both side wireforms and unplugging a few connectors. The optos on the ramps can be a little fiddly getting back on as the plastic mounts tend to bend. Also have to be a little careful with the rgb light connector by the drop near smaug, it's pretty small and a little tedious to unplug. Took me about 2 hrs, but I could do it in half the time if I had to do it again.
Before and after pics.

Nice! I need to do the same fix, last of the updates I need to do. I have the ramp flaps update kit but have been considering sending the ramp to JJP as they said they would do the fix for free (still need to pay shipping though to get it there).

Is there a certain type / brand of tool you would recommend for the fix?

#3364 40 days ago

Hanson ht-174 1/8" clincher. I got it off Amazon. You can use it for other games so it's good to have on hand. Buy some rivets off eBay for other games, think you want 1/8 x 1/8.

#3365 40 days ago

i have beaten smaug and make it to the battle of the 5 armies. it was awesome!

#3366 40 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

have been considering sending the ramp to JJP

Quoted from Lermods:

Hanson ht-174 1/8" clincher. I got it off Amazon. You can use it for other games so it's good to have on hand. Buy some rivets off eBay for other games, think you want 1/8 x 1/8.

The Hanson tool is great!

I think most rivets are 1\8" x 5/32" nickle plated tubular with backer washers. Pinrestore has a great assorted rivet kit that comes in very handy if something falls off or comes loose. They also have a hand clincher available.

You dont need anything fancy to apply rivets its easy. A small block of medium hardwood ( spruce, oak, maple etc) and a hammer is all you need.
I have even used a wrought iron railing in my apartment as a lower die with perfect results

see here (you dont need to use a vice) :

» YouTube video

#3367 38 days ago

Well I guess I'm joining the club, I've got my Smaug Edition and absolutely love it, and it's still running on the original code. Will be doing an update later today. Butch20099 is a fantastic seller and stands behind the games he sells 100%. It's amazing that this game went from east coast to west coast with no issues except a loose connector, no screws even came out!

So far I've had 2 stuck balls in the trap doors and need to order the fix. The spider door is bent up a little and changes the direction of the ball. No issue with stuck balls off of the wireform yet. Ordered Cliffys for all the holes. Game# is 863.

I'm trying to read through this thread to get as much information as I can but you guys keep making pages faster than I can read them. I'd rather play pinball!

I've got a bunch of beaters from the 90s and wanted at least one newer game in my "barcade", this game was a no-brainer over anything else on the market except WOZ...I played The Hobbit at the Seattle Pinball Museum and was instantly hooked, I know this game was made just for me.

My roommate isn't great at pinball but got Smaug multiball twice in his first game. It speaks to how approachable and fun this game is even for novices, yet has a deep ruleset for more advanced players. Now I'm just trying to figure out where to get enough money to pick up a WOZ...

#3368 37 days ago

great to hear jack. wait till you beat smaug in a mutiball. thats really awesome but...hard to get. destroy the ring in the lord is easyer. hobbit is really a great pin. i dint care much for the woz but thats a matter off taste i gues. i had one game and make it to battle off the 5 armies. dint play it long but the sounds where very quit to me for an multi ball. anyone had super jackpots there? no idea how manny to hit to reach the arkenstone.

#3369 33 days ago

Guys I have two quick questions.

1. Should I place mylar over the metal strip in the shooting lane? Every shot has the ball hit that corner. And how about the Gollum ball save lane?

2. What is the 'hole' for next to the MAN targets at the tip of the flipper. Just noticed the other day cleaning the PF?

Mylar or not (resized).JPG
What is the hole for (resized).JPG

#3370 33 days ago

Normaly this hole is used for the aligment of the upper flipper.

#3371 33 days ago
Quoted from Asael:

Normaly this hole is used for the aligment of the upper flipper.

Too far away, and wrong place.

Hole was for something changed leading up to production and not used.

#3372 33 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thought that could be the case - just wasn't sure. Thanks!

#3373 33 days ago

So I've now managed to play enough that my slingshot rubbers are worn out and about to break. I've replaced the main two rubbers but haven't tackled the upper slingshot because of the wire form and windoance diverted above it.

How big of a job is changing the upper slingshot rubber? Any tips?

#3374 33 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Are you sure? Sry, you are normaly the expert here, but on my game the upper flipper is almost aligned to this hole and it looks just like the hole that is standard by the lower flipper finger. And on his picture the flipper is in up position.

#3375 33 days ago
Quoted from JamesMxP:

How big of a job is changing the upper slingshot rubber? Any tips?

I did mine a while back when it broke. It wasn't horrible, but just be patient.

#3376 33 days ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

You can barely tell what to shoot for or what mod you are in.

Book always tells you what mode you're in, what to shoot for, and how much time left.

Mode shots are always the orange ones...or sometimes blue, which is used to indicate you need to hit it to "clear the path for an orange shot" ...like the Riddle mode, the once the blues are gone, the orange will appear. Or the one where the beasts are blocking the orange shots - the blue shots will make the beasts lower so you can hit the orange.

#3377 33 days ago
Quoted from Asael:

Are you sure?

Yup. Your flipper would be sticking out instead of lined up with the lane guide. On my Hobbit, that hole is on the near the end of the flipper bat. Not good for flipper alignment.

#3378 33 days ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I did mine a while back when it broke. It wasn't horrible, but just be patient.

I switched out all mine from white to transparent when they started to wear. The left side will require you to break it down quite a bit. When you get that far you might as well order the cliffy protector kit and add that while you are at it. Expect it to take about an hour.

The right side is easier to refresh the rubbers - but you will (of course) remove several of the plastics on that side too.

#3379 33 days ago

Seriously still love Hobbit, but man I need an update to have more objectives to go after. Great game still.

#3380 33 days ago

I've added Cliffys kit to all but the Balin hole, so I guess that will become part of the rubber replacement project.

#3381 33 days ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Seriously still love Hobbit, but man I need an update to have more objectives to go after.

Yeah, 30-something modes....there's nothing to do lol.

#3382 33 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, 30-something modes....there's nothing to do lol.

Yeah, there's a ton of modes but there needs to be more rewarding reasons for completing them.

Right now there are 31 book modes in the game but only 3 need to be completed to unlock an Arkenstone mode. What about the other 28 book modes? The book modes are awesome, a lot of work went into them, but there needs to be more incentive to play through them. A reward for beating the sets of man, elf and dwarf modes and / or for beating say 5, 10, 15, 20 etc modes would be great to see. The lack of something along those lines is biggest issue I have with the game today. 

Also, it would be nice if Beast Frenzy and Feast Frenzy are expanded upon to make them beatable with an option to turn off stacking with Smaug MB so that Smaug MB can be enjoyed on its own.

Oh, the qualifications for reaching an Arkenstone mode are all the same so you have to do the same 4 tasks 3 times to unlock the 3 wizard modes which makes the game feel like a bit of a grind. It would be great to see the qualifications for the 2nd and 3rd Arkenstone modes altered slightly to mix things up. 

Finally, a super wizard mode for beating everything would give the game its own "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" equivalent goal. 

#3383 33 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, there's a ton of modes but there needs to be more rewarding reasons for completing them.
Right now there are 31 book modes in the game but only 3 need to be completed to unlock an Arkenstone mode. What about the other 28 book modes? The book modes are awesome, a lot of work went into them, but there needs to be more incentive to play through them. A reward for beating the sets of man, elf and dwarf modes and / or for beating say 5, 10, 15, 20 etc modes would be great to see. The lack of something along those lines is biggest issue I have with the game today. 
Also, it would be nice if Beast Frenzy and Feast Frenzy are expanded upon to make them beatable with an option to turn off stacking with Smaug MB so that Smaug MB can be enjoyed on its own.
Oh, the qualifications for reaching an Arkenstone mode are all the same so you have to do the same 4 tasks 3 times to unlock the 3 wizard modes which makes the game feel like a bit of a grind. It would be great to see the qualifications for the 2nd and 3rd Arkenstone modes altered slightly to mix things up. 
Finally, a super wizard mode for beating everything would give the game its own "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" equivalent goal. 

^^this exactly. It's still fun, but I want a final wizard mode. I've done most everything else, and honestly don't have anything to try to achieve currently on it. I still enjoy the game, but it feels unfinished.

#3384 32 days ago

(I will be trying to update the original 1.0 factory software to the latest)

So, http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/support/ says that to install latest software "The Hobbit Delta Install Ver 1.90":

"YOU MUST BE RUNNING AT LEAST 1.18 TO INSTALL DELTA UPDATES."

But they only offer:

The Hobbit Full Install Ver 1.01 - .ISO

So according to their web site, I cannot do any updates.

Is this normal?

#3385 32 days ago
Quoted from Bendit:

I cannot do any updates.

Put the 1.90 delta in. I'm sure it will work. If it doesn't, you won't hurt anything, it just won't go in.

If it's a big one and screen goes black, just leave it run until the screen says it's finished. If you turn it off during an update, then you need to reload the operating system.

#3386 32 days ago

Regarding the latest beta does anyone else have issues with the windlance shot? I get a weak shot that doesn't even leave the kickback lane no matter what strength I push the button at.

For regular kickbacks everything is fine.

#3387 32 days ago

LTG, gotcha. I also just realized that the documentation PDF refers to WOZ. So maybe that's just the case for WOZ, and it will do the delta upgrade on hobbit. I'll give it a shot.

#3388 32 days ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Regarding the latest beta does anyone else have issues with the windlance shot? I get a weak shot that doesn't even leave the kickback lane no matter what strength I push the button at.
For regular kickbacks everything is fine.

Yes, it is reversed. Bottom of arrow is now a strong shot, top weak. It's a known bug, will be fixed in next update.

#3389 32 days ago

software update successful! i just joined the club!

20170525_205952-1 (resized).jpg

#3390 32 days ago

Finally got around to installing the updated blue tempered spring steel ramp flaps today. The original soft steel flaps were all distorted and looked like crap. I hand polished the entire ramp assembly while I had it out as the metal looked dull and there was some ugly oxidation looking stuff on the ramp entrances just above the flaps. All ready to go back into the game tomorrow

IMG_2490 (resized).JPG

IMG_2489 (resized).JPG

#3391 32 days ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Finally got around to installing the updated blue tempered spring steel ramp flaps today. The original soft steel flaps were all distorted and looked like crap. I hand polished the entire ramp assembly while I had it out as the metal looked dull and there was some ugly oxidation looking stuff on the ramp entrances just above the flaps. All ready to go back into the game tomorrow

I've been procrastinating on that...easy enough to do?

#3392 31 days ago

Not so much, it's pretty involved. Make sure you have a c-clamp rivet press before starting and take it slowly.

#3393 31 days ago

What was the process/product that you used to get that ramp cleaned up sooooo nicely?

#3394 31 days ago

Added an external sub woofer yesterday and boy does it make this game come alive. Smaug's voice rumbles the walls, mode lock feels like you're opening up a mountainside, it's amazing!

#3395 31 days ago

I'm looking at selling a mint Smaug edition with rascals if anyone is interested...I'll put it in the market later but anyone can pm me if looking for one

#3396 31 days ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I've been procrastinating on that...easy enough to do?

Id say its about medium as far as a ramp removal, way easier than a lot of games.
After doing it once you could remove, clean and replace in about 30 mins.

Dont use the pop-rivets that come in the kit, they get loose pretty fast.
Use a hand clincher on the regular rivets, or like what was said earlier one of the c-clamp presses (if you can get one) or borrow one.

I spent a lot of time cleaning, waxing and replacing some rubbers while I had it off. So it took about 2 hours total.
I waited until I had 2500 plays on it.

#3397 31 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Id say its about medium as far as a ramp removal, way easier than a lot of games.
After doing it once you could remove, clean and replace in about 30 mins.
Dont use the pop-rivets that come in the kit, they get loose pretty fast.
Use a hand clincher on the regular rivets, or like what was said earlier one of the c-clamp presses (if you can get one) or borrow one.
I spent a lot of time cleaning, waxing and replacing some rubbers while I had it off. So it took about 2 hours total.
I waited until I had 2500 plays on it.

I got a hand clincher press...the rivets they sent are no good?

#3398 31 days ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I got a hand clincher press...the rivets they sent are no good?

The kit comes with regular 1/8 x 5/32 tubular rivets with backing washers as well as a couple pop-rivets.
The pop-rivets were included in case you didnt have a hand clicher but did actually have a pop-rivet gun.

The pop-rivets would be ok for casual use in the home but would never hold up to commercial usages.
And they can get loose quickly.

So just use the tubular rivets and it will be perfect.

#3399 31 days ago
Quoted from Goronic:

What was the process/product that you used to get that ramp cleaned up sooooo nicely?

Just elbow grease and Mothers metal polish. After polishing, I washed the ramp with water, dawn and a toothbrush to remove any residual polish. It's all back together now, game looks and plays flawlessly.

IMG_2491 (resized).JPG

IMG_2493 (resized).JPG

IMG_2492 (resized).JPG

IMG_2495 (resized).JPG

#3400 31 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The kit comes with regular 1/8 x 5/32 tubular rivets with backing washers as well as a couple pop-rivets.
The pop-rivets were included in case you didnt have a hand clicher but did actually have a pop-rivet gun.
The pop-rivets would be ok for casual use in the home but would never hold up to commercial usages.
And they can get loose quickly.
So just use the tubular rivets and it will be perfect.

Got it...thanks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 72.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 21.00
$ 11.99
Electronics
Lermods
There are 3598 posts in topic. You are on page 68 of 72.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.