20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 259.
#2801 7 years ago

You don't have to beat a mode to have it show completed. Just have lot beat one mode to advance towards next Arkenstone mode. Very impressive game!

#2802 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I'm pretty sure that I actually beat them all. I was focused on the modes whenever one started, which frequently happened during Smaug and Beast multiballs. It was exhausting. I'm not sure if you have to actually beat them to get "Completed" on the display over each mode set, but if you look at my picture above you'll see that it is written on two of the three sets. Only Gandalf isn't "completed". Does anyone know?
And I have to say, when the last ball drained and I hadn't gotten that last mode, it really sucked. But I was buzzing pretty well from the rest of the game so I wasn't that bummed.
And I only got one tilt warning. This frigging game is too heavy to move much during play!

It doesn't distinguish between played and completed modes.

#2803 7 years ago

Check out our new Hobbit Mods on our website
flipnoutpinball.com

#2804 7 years ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

Check out our new Hobbit Mods on our website
flipnoutpinball.com

I'm liking the ring button plates. Just ordered one.

#2805 7 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

I'm liking the ring button plates. Just ordered one.

Much better than the paper sticker!
I wonder how its fixed to the lockdown bar? Tape? Glue?

I would like to see how it looks on a game. Please post a pic when you get it installed.

#2806 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Just got a new G.C. Tonight.

#2807 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It doesn't distinguish between played and completed modes.

I thought it would put a gold outline around the mode hexagon tile. That's what it appears to do with mine. Maybe I'm wrong.

#2808 7 years ago

Ok ... I got my ModFather shipment in and here are some pics of the Hobbit themed shooter rod and his prototype of the Hobbit themed pincup. I like them both a lot. The pics on his website and even my pics do not do them justice. It is hard to take good pics of shades of brown and cooper colors. The first pics are in real bright lights to show the details. The last 2 pics are how the look in normal ambient light. The barrel pincup really goes well with the theme of the pin. I told him I would post pics, so I did the best I could with them. If you like how they look, give him a thumbs up.

ModFather1 (resized).jpgModFather1 (resized).jpg

ModFather2 (resized).jpgModFather2 (resized).jpg

ModFather3 (resized).jpgModFather3 (resized).jpg

ModFather4 (resized).jpgModFather4 (resized).jpg

ModFather5 (resized).jpgModFather5 (resized).jpg

ModFather6 (resized).jpgModFather6 (resized).jpg

#2809 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I thought it would put a gold outline around the mode hexagon tile. That's what it appears to do with mine. Maybe I'm wrong.

No, same either way. I asked for a differentiation early on, but it didn't make it in the game. It's dark if not qualified or played, lit without border if qualified, and lit with border if played.

#2810 7 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Kinda tall for a dwarf!

Quoted from freddy:

and it blocks the view of the gate, which drops in certain modes

Better sized Dwarf Thorin installed! Purchased from ModFather. The Collector Series of Thorin figures found on Amazon are either too small or too big. ModFather's figure is of perfect size with no obstructive view of the gate & blue target under feet. The figure comes with an attached metal screw tab for anchoring to PF. In reality, it's essentially impossible to use for installation. Use glue dots applied to bottom of feet, insert figure and press down. The figure is of high quality in detail and workmanship, matching that of the Collector Series.

Sm. Thorin 002 (resized).JPGSm. Thorin 002 (resized).JPG

Sm. Thorin 001 (resized).JPGSm. Thorin 001 (resized).JPG

#2811 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Better sized Dwarf Thorin installed! Purchased from ModFather. The Collector Series of Thorin figures found on Amazon are either too small or too big. ModFather's figure is of perfect size with no obstructive view of the gate & blue target under feet. The figure comes with an attached metal screw tab for anchoring to PF. In reality, it's essentially impossible to use for installation. Use glue dots applied to bottom of feet, insert figure and press down. The figure is of high quality in detail and workmanship, matching that of the Collector Series.

and its an action figure Too. looks much better. good choice.

#2812 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Played for about an hour

Yikes. This game needs a pause feature so you can come back to it at another time. I rarely have that kind of time to play. Amazing score and game.

My best is a measly 1.6 million and I've never killed Smaug. Heck, not even sure I've had Smaug tee'd up to kill. Never have finished into the fire or barrel escape (heck I've only see barrel escape one time). I'm sure this game could keep someone busy for many years.

#2814 7 years ago

Wasn't someone making a barrel mod for that 3rd pop bumper or something like that?

#2815 7 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Wasn't someone making a barrel mod for that 3rd pop bumper or something like that?

hi, i'm the one making the barrels.
here's a few pics from a pinsider. installed in the hobbit, you can install them anywhere you like, 2 or 4 it's up to you.

just shoot me a pm, i should have a batch ready to go in about a week.

d1e6bc5ce233df731133e3510cd95a8253aa61cd (resized).jpgd1e6bc5ce233df731133e3510cd95a8253aa61cd (resized).jpg

5a659426e1abb9cf74d7c0427fadbe0695ac8a4d (resized).jpg5a659426e1abb9cf74d7c0427fadbe0695ac8a4d (resized).jpg

d11e449bb756ffe32641130606a1da6eba26df00 (resized).jpgd11e449bb756ffe32641130606a1da6eba26df00 (resized).jpg

#2816 7 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

hi, i'm the one making the barrels.
here's a few pics from a pinsider. installed in the hobbit, you can install them anywhere you like, 2 or 4 it's up to you.
just shoot me a pm, i should have a batch ready to go in about a week.

Don't believe he was asking about your barrels! Another party at one time talked about making pop bumper cap to replace the generic one!

#2817 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Don't believe he was asking about your barrels! Another party at one time talked about making pop bumper cap to replace the generic one!

oops, sorry. didn't know someone was making pop bumper caps.

#2818 7 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

oops, sorry. didn't know someone was making pop bumper caps.

That's the "issue" I don't think anyone is! I recall reading a post when JJP first started shipping machines where buyers were complaining about JJP having the one generic cap as opposed to making it like the other two. So maybe this is something for you to come out with since no one else is, apparently, is doing it!

#2819 7 years ago

I know this was mentioned before on New Hobbit Mod-Gold Ring Plate thread, but a GOLD/BRONZE plate would be more esthetic on either the LE hobbit or Gold Smaug cross bars. The silver plate looks good & professional, but GOLD, in my opinion, would be more desirable. I have purchased the silver etched mod. Does anybody know of a method (not gold spray paint) of making silver plate gold in color?

#2820 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

I know this was mentioned before on New Hobbit Mod-Gold Ring Plate thread, but a GOLD/BRONZE plate would be more esthetic on either the LE hobbit or Gold Smaug cross bars. The silver plate looks good & professional, but GOLD, in my opinion, would be more desirable. I have purchased the silver etched mod. Does anybody know of a method (not gold spray paint) of making silver plate gold in color?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll pass that on to Larry. I'm not directly involved with this. Larry's a buddy of mine.

I know Woody could do it for you.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballplatingandmorecom-chromebrassnickelcolored-chromepowder

#2821 7 years ago

Just got my Hobbit Smaug SE #80 yesterday (traded for it). I have to say it's one of the most impressive overall pinball experiences I've been a part of. The look, the sound, the feel...all incredible.

There is so much going on at times it's a bit overwhelming but I also find this a plus as it will be fun to learn new things as I play. I have to keep my eyes on the LCD while someone else is playing so that I can actually see what's supposed to be happening.

I just ordered the yellow plastic protectors from flipnoutpinball.com. I'm noticing there aren't a whole lot of mods for this machine (not many needed I guess). Are there any hidden mods that aren't easily found that would be tasteful additions? A quick search in the market here doesn't show very many. Thanks guys!!!

#2822 7 years ago

"...it will be fun to learn new things as I play"

Your brain will adjust soon and discover it's very straightforward strategy and very repeatable/simple. My advice is to hold off on expensive mods until another update, or just accept it's a very linear game with long ball times

#2823 7 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

" My advice is to hold off on expensive mods until another update, or just accept it's a very linear game with long ball times

Thank you. Other than the topper I don't see any super expensive mods. Maybe I can send the coin door out for some plating?

About how often is code being updated? When was the last update and when is the next expected? Is there anything major that would benefit from new code.

#2824 7 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Thank you. Other than the topper I don't see any super expensive mods. Maybe I can send the coin door out for some plating?
About how often is code being updated? When was the last update and when is the next expected? Is there anything major that would benefit from new code.

Seems like a super wizard mode will be added for completing everything at some point. It's been a couple months since the last official code update but before that code updates were being released on a near monthly basis.

I'm hoping another update is released soon. I think the game would benefit greatly with rewards (multiball, other mode, points) for beating the sets of man, elf, and dwarf modes.

I'm also hoping that Beast and Feast multiball have more rules added to them and that stacking can be turned off while they are activated.

There is a lot to do in the game today (30 book modes, 3 multi balls, any book mode can be a multiball, 3 multiball wizard modes) but a couple more updates would really help the game.

#2825 7 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Just got my Hobbit Smaug SE #80 yesterday (traded for it). I have to say it's one of the most impressive overall pinball experiences I've been a part of. The look, the sound, the feel...all incredible.
There is so much going on at times it's a bit overwhelming but I also find this a plus as it will be fun to learn new things as I play. I have to keep my eyes on the LCD while someone else is playing so that I can actually see what's supposed to be happening.
I just ordered the yellow plastic protectors from flipnoutpinball.com. I'm noticing there aren't a whole lot of mods for this machine (not many needed I guess). Are there any hidden mods that aren't easily found that would be tasteful additions? A quick search in the market here doesn't show very many. Thanks guys!!!

Well I appreciate you ordering from me but I don't sell the yellow plastic protectors. LOL I think Joe from Laseriffic does that. I sell the Hobbit Ring Plate and Gold Button mod which I think you did order from me. If not you should!

Larry
flipnoutpinball.com

#2826 7 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

I do sell a Hobbit door since you mentioned the coin door. Take a look at that instead of plating it.

Larry
flipnoutpinball.com

#2827 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm also hoping that Beast and Feast multiball have more rules added to them and that stacking can be turned off while they are activated.

TH seems to be specifically designed to be continuously played in multiball mode. When you look at the requirements for completing certain tasks they are ponderous and repetitive if you only have one ball in play. However if you have six balls going then that is a different thing entirely. Also look at how many ways there are to get multiball modes started, Smaug, Beast, Mode, Add-A-Ball, etc...

#2828 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

polished brass plating?

#2830 7 years ago

I, personally think "The Hobbit" LE pin is a stunning visual work of art. However, I, like some of my colleagues, think two areas are rather pedestrian - flipper bats and shooter rod. They just don't do justice to an otherwise museum piece. Here is my interpretation for your consideration. Whenever I see Orcs I think of prehistoric beasts. And I think of bones. So I thought the boney flippers from "Scared Stiff" would maybe look better than some generic yellow bats. As far as shooter rods go I asked Mike in California to whip me up one based on my favorite Dwarf, Bombur. Next on my list was to get my coin door powder coated to match the copper-ish trim of the LE. The coin slot bezels are plastic so they can't be powder coated. I toyed with the idea of having them bright copper electroplated. I gave that up as too pricey and no guarantee I would like them. So I kept them black and added twelve coats of Fusion gloss clear. I had all fasteners (carriage screws and acorn bolts) glossy black powder coated to match. Next up will be wire-form ramps.

PS1 (resized).JPGPS1 (resized).JPG

PS2 (resized).JPGPS2 (resized).JPG

#2831 7 years ago

I love this game but.....I wish that Keith would program a different "avenue" to each of the main 3 arkenstone modes, instead of rinse and repeat to get to each one. The 32 modes are all different and offer all kinds of different shots to complete each one. Keith is masterful at coding and he didn't disappoint on creating so many different modes. But qualifying for an arkenstone mode needs something.....different. Besides a lot of the suggestions others have offered, at the very least would like to see the arkenstone modes stay lit after having played it.

#2832 7 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I love this game but.....I wish that Keith would program a different "avenue" to each of the main 3 arkenstone modes, instead of rinse and repeat to get to each one. The 32 modes are all different and offer all kinds of different shots to complete each one. Keith is masterful at coding and he didn't disappoint on creating so many different modes. But qualifying for an arkenstone mode needs something.....different. Besides a lot of the suggestions others have offered, at the very least would like to see the arkenstone modes stay lit after having played it.

Agree, qualifying for the next Arkenstone mode should be somewhat different. Heck, having to beat say 6 modes to get Barrel Escape and 12 for Battle of the Five Armies would mix things up nicely versus having to start Smaug MB, Beast MB, and Feast MB a 2nd and then 3rd time.

Hobbit code is great but it definitely needs a few more updates to help tie everything together and expand on some things a bit.

#2833 7 years ago

need to release the new code. 1.94

#2834 7 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Completely agree. I enjoy the game a ton, but for the first time tonight got through everything except BOfA twice (6mil score). During the game I save the easy modes, which means I have only played the same half dozen modes over and over. I love the game, and it has really honed my multi ball play. I feel like it's 90% of the way there, just needs something , not sure what that is, to tie it all together. I will say however I am more amazed at the quality of the artwork every time I walk up to it.

#2835 7 years ago

New owner here. With other games I have owned, whenever you lock a ball, the ball would be trapped somewhere on or under the playfield. Another ball would be served up to the shooter lane. With "The Hobbit" when I locked a ball it seemed as though it didn't really lock the ball anywhere; just spit it out down the wire ramp on the left. It said "Ball 1 Locked" on the screen though. Is this normal? JLC

#2836 7 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

New owner here. With other games I have owned, whenever you lock a ball, the ball would be trapped somewhere on or under the playfield. Another ball would be served up to the shooter lane. With "The Hobbit" when I locked a ball it seemed as though it didn't really lock the ball anywhere; just spit it out down the wire ramp on the left. It said "Ball 1 Locked" on the screen though. Is this normal? JLC

Yes its normal. Virtual lock

#2837 7 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

I agree with you, I love lock mechs a lot but on the TH its a virtual lock. No locking mech necessary, fun but not necessary I guess to make room for something else?

The game makes use of a pseudo lock by pausing the ball before it goes past Smaug.

The WOZ has virtual lock in the code that you can enable, in case the operator has a broken lock mech or cant get it adjusted properly.

Its really interesting to note that on a lot of games in 4 player mode, the locks always empty out for one player or another, and are mostly virtual anyway since the game just keeps track of how many balls you had locked.

#2838 7 years ago

Just received the ring button mod, engraved style (I would have gotten laser cut if I had the stainless color pin). Pic attached, here is what it looks like. You can also see the gold dragon flipper topper mods, green bands, and the plastics protectors kit in yellow. This week I added a connection to my Bob Carver Sunfire subwoofer, which improved the sound a lot. Love my #TH !

IMG_4005 (resized).JPGIMG_4005 (resized).JPG

#2839 7 years ago

Bone flippers looks weird but that's just my taste.

Quoted from Vyzer2:

Doubt that will get changed. Needs to be easily enough to get into them multiple times because because Keith said he will add checkpoints so you can continue them like in lotr.
Hopefully the final wizard mode qualifiers will add enough rules to change the you play.

#2840 7 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

I, personally think "The Hobbit" LE pin is a stunning visual work of art. However, I, like some of my colleagues, think two areas are rather pedestrian - flipper bats and shooter rod. They just don't do justice to an otherwise museum piece. Here is my interpretation for your consideration. Whenever I see Orcs I think of prehistoric beasts. And I think of bones. So I thought the boney flippers from "Scared Stiff" would maybe look better than some generic yellow bats.

Each to their own but I don't think those particularly suit the theme.

I would have looked for something else already on the playfield from which you draw inspiration. If anything the gold coin ones do somewhat suit better (still don't like those).

Small replicas of say sting/glamdring would be more fitting of the theme ie. they are used as tools to slay the beasts. Similar in effect to how the axe's chop at the ball on the slings.

#2841 7 years ago

A precautionary note for installation of Cliffy's Hobbit Kickout Protectors: Don't OVER TIGHTEN, ESP. THE RADAGAST PROTECTOR!

Here's what happened to me: I installed the protectors & stopped tightening when I met firm resistance. Everything looked fine with no issues. After about 2 weeks, I reviewed several earlier posts on this thread that recommended for new Hobbit owners to raise PF & tighten all nuts, just in case they came loose with shipment. That's what I did. I then lowered the PF & noticed that the Radagast kickout protector had bowed upward from the PF!

The PF is not flat where the black posts of the VUK are anchored. There is a circular depression from the nuts of the posts. As a result, the metal protector will be depressed/deformed around the post holes with over tightening, causing the protector to bow upwards.

Solution: Buy a new Radagast Kickout Protector from Cliff ( approx. $23) & install without OVER TIGHTENING!
OR: Salvage protector using tack hammer to flattened protector around post holes, then reinstall without over tightening. I also placed a washer between the protector & posts.

s

#2842 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

A precautionary note for installation of Cliffy's Hobbit Kickout Protectors: Don't OVER TIGHTEN, ESP. THE RADAGAST PROTECTOR!
Here's what happened to me: I installed the protectors & stopped tightening when I met firm resistance. Everything looked fine with no issues. After about 2 weeks, I reviewed several earlier posts on this thread that recommended for new Hobbit owners to raise PF & tighten all nuts, just in case they came loose with shipment. That's what I did. I then lowered the PF & noticed that the Radagast kickout protector had bowed upward from the PF!
The PF is not flat where the black posts of the VUK are anchored. There is a circular depression from the nuts of the posts. As a result, the metal protector will be depressed/deformed around the post holes with over tightening, causing the protector to bow upwards.
Solution: Buy a new Radagast Kickout Protector from Cliff ( approx. $23) & install without OVER TIGHTENING!
OR: Salvage protector using tack hammer to flattened protector around post holes, then reinstall without over tightening. I also placed a washer between the protector & posts.
s

Unfortunately, this happened to me too!

#2843 7 years ago

Proud new member of the Hobbit club here! Just had NIB Black Arrow # 148 of 750 delivered yesterday. I'm loving it (and so is the wife so that's a GREAT thing). Had to sell 3 of my pins to fund it, but no regrets. Awesome game. Just installed my Laserrific topper and the tilt graphics blades are on the way.

#2844 7 years ago
Quoted from PinFan4Life:

Proud new member of the Hobbit club here! Just had NIB Black Arrow # 148 of 750 delivered yesterday. I'm loving it (and so is the wife so that's a GREAT thing). Had to sell 3 of my pins to fund it, but no regrets. Awesome game. Just installed my Laserrific topper and the tilt graphics blades are on the way.

pics or it isn't so.

#2845 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

I also placed a washer between the protector & posts.

I mentioned this one before also. Not sure if I posted it here or in another hobbit thread here about it. Wasn't long after the protectors came out.

Edit : oops my mistake I posted it on aa and forgot to post it here too!

I noticed some Mylar that blocks the protector.

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/55388-Hobbit-Confirmed/page98?p=1030490#post1030490

Added the washers.

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/55388-Hobbit-Confirmed/page98?p=1030493#post1030493

#2846 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

s

I have been tinkering with pins for 36 years. Whenever I replace a hex head post, whether it screws into the playfield or goes all the way through, I place a thin (.020) mil spec flat washer between the base of the post and the playfield; otherwise you just end up with depressions or gouging of the wood. I do the same between nuts on the post and the top of screened plastics.

#2847 7 years ago

Here's pics of my new Black Arrow.

IMG_2885 (resized).JPGIMG_2885 (resized).JPG

IMG_2915 (resized).JPGIMG_2915 (resized).JPG

IMG_2889 (resized).JPGIMG_2889 (resized).JPG

IMG_2916 (resized).JPGIMG_2916 (resized).JPG

#2848 7 years ago
Quoted from PinFan4Life:

Here's pics of my new Black Arrow.

I was prepared not to love the black arrow but it is cool. I'm still glad I did the Smaug but if I had had the choice I would have picked this one and saved the $$.

#2849 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

That's the "issue" I don't think anyone is! I recall reading a post when JJP first started shipping machines where buyers were complaining about JJP having the one generic cap as opposed to making it like the other two. So maybe this is something for you to come out with since no one else is, apparently, is doing it!

You are correct sir. I am surprised someone hasn't done this already.

#2850 7 years ago

Made a couple of native resolution video captures of both the screens during idle loops.

I'll look at trying to make some during specific modes also. Having some performance issues doing records during game play that I need to sort out.

edit : oops, one of them was still private

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 259.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/57 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.