20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 259.
#2701 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

more audio clues to know what to shoot for.

seriously? what more can they do?
you have the book, color changing lights indicating shots to be taken,huge TV showing whats going on(all around the video )and shows what modes you started and completed. not to mention Gandalf telling you what to shoot for.

#2702 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I agree, I would like to see Beast Multiball and Feast Mulitball fleshed out a bit more and then only be playable by themselves. Smaug MB could then be played as its own mode.

Me too! The jackpot call outs are important in smaug and when beast starts you cannot really differentiate the two.
Keith said he might add a way to stop beast after you hit a super.

Quoted from freddy:

you have the book, color changing lights indicating shots to be taken,huge TV showing whats going on(all around the video )and shows what modes you started and completed. not to mention Gandalf telling you what to shoot for.

The colour is brown. I suites the pinball but it doesn't stand out.
Not every single mode has the call outs on what to shoot for.

#2704 7 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

I think "audio" is pretty self-explanatory. Often there is so much going on there is not enough time to really see what you're supposed to be doing. More Gandolf call outs is what I'd desire. Nothing wrong with simply desiring a little more audio feedback and I think others feel similarly.

#2705 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

had this game for a while and never beat Smaug. In fact, I don't even know if I've had him Tee'd up to defeat before. Usually so much going on at one time with Smaug MB and beast MB stacking. My only desires for this game is for those 2 things not to stack and for more audio clues to know what to shoot for. This game needs a "spotter" for the person playing. Despite those two issues, Hobbit is the consensus favorite amongst my pins at home.

I vote to drop the diverter during beast multiball like on barrel escape.
That way you wont be able to lock a ball or start smaug multiball.

The diverter is used so infrequently, I think it would be a welcome change.

#2706 7 years ago

Sorry if this has been covered, I did a search but didn't find anything.

When ordering this game from JJP, they give an option for a playfield covering. Do they apply it at the factory for you? Would anyone recommend or not recommend this upgrade? This would be home use only.

#2707 7 years ago

I forgot to post this picture. This is my buddy BlackStorm on the phone with Lloyd. He took our call on New Years Eve to ensure my Smaug was up and rolling for the party. Can't thank him enough for doing that!!

IMG_4055 (resized).JPGIMG_4055 (resized).JPG

#2708 7 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

When ordering this game from JJP, they give an option for a playfield covering. Do they apply it at the factory for you? Would anyone recommend or not recommend this upgrade? This would be home use only.

Yes, the factory will install it. Email [email protected]. I don't personally like the playfield overlay but many folks do.

#2709 7 years ago

They install for you. I love the protector...especially with the beast mechs slamming up and down constantly. It looks great, plays great, and protects your game. With home use it's probably not necessary, but I can cut this thing off in a few years time and have basically a NOS pf in my game. I wish I had gotten it on my WOZ after seeing and using it on my Hobbit.

#2710 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

With home use it's probably not necessary, but I can cut this thing off in a few years time and have basically a NOS pf in my game.

With respect, I feel like we've become our grandparents who used to cover their furniture in plastic. Yep it preserves it, but its just not the same. Just one person's opinion.

#2711 7 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

With respect, I feel like we've become our grandparents who used to cover their furniture in plastic. Yep it preserves it, but its just not the same. Just one person's opinion.

You're right, it's better. It sounds quieter too.

#2712 7 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Anyone have any feedback on this.....it seems like the Radagast (right hole) light should be on during game play per picture shown and it's not? I know the light works fine during other animations and so forth but weird it's off otherwise?

I've noticed this too - definitely doesn't behave like the other arrows (e.g. Thorin, Balin)

I mentioned the behaviour to JJP on the back of another ticket that I raised and Victor said his machine did the same! - so I assumed that it was a software issue that would get addressed at a later date (I noticed it at v1.2 if I remember correctly)

#2713 7 years ago

Thanks for the feedback on the playfield protector.

How is The Hobbit with respect to code at this point? How has JJP been in that regard over all? I haven't been following JJP closely, but now I'm thinking of getting one as my next pin later this year.

Thanks!

#2714 7 years ago

How is The Hobbit with respect to code at this point? How has JJP been in that regard over all? I haven't been following JJP closely, but now I'm thinking of getting one as my next pin later this year.

The code is amazing. JJP (well Keith) have proven they are committed to frequent code updates and delivered on Hobbit just like WoZ. As is, one of the deepest games out there.

#2715 7 years ago

it is deep but doesn't have the mini-goals like WOZ and TSPP do...for example, in Hobbit you are pretty much just trying to play and beat the 3 Arkenstone modes. Play modes until you beat one, play Smaug mb, play Beast multiball, play Feast Frenzy. That's cool, but no mini-goals along the way. With WOZ you're trying to get to Melt the Witch. So play Emerald City mb, play Rescue mb, play munchkin mode, play fireball frenzy, play Haunted mode. The difference is there are mini-goals to each of the WOZ "things to do". Play all munchkin modes to get Munchkin multiball and collect a diamond. Play all haunted modes to get Haunted multiball and collect a diamond. Beat ECMB to collect a diamond. Quench enough fireballs in fireball frenzy to collect a diamond. Beat Rescue mb to collect a diamond. Throw in Crystal ball modes, HOADC, the yellow brick road, throne room, oz lanes, Glinda awards, and the two outlane games and you have a full package. Hobbit is lacking "diamonds" to collect for an ultimate goal and mini goals to go for along the way IMO. It would be cool if say you completed all Gandalf modes you got a special multiball or mode. Same for each race and Bilbo/Radagast. Or play/complete 10 modes, get some award. There is no real incentive at this point to beat/play more than one mode between each Arkenstone mode. The goal is just to get to the next one.

Saying that, it's still a fantastic game and one of the deepest ever. I think there is more yet to come to bring it to WOZ level though.

#2716 7 years ago

I thought they said that the game was considered done.

#2717 7 years ago

Officially, Jack said at Expo, the code would be complete with the release of 1.90 but there is for sure one more software release which adds, among other things, pindemption software as well as a bug fixer and such, and probably one more update after that yet to come.

#2718 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Officially, Jack said at Expo, the code would be complete with the release of 1.90 but there is for sure one more software release which adds, among other things, pindemption software as well as a bug fixer and such, and probably one more update after that yet to come.

I think that the basic framework is done now.
All that is needed is more refinement and the final wizard mode.

Im sure there are some great things in store for us coming up.

#2719 7 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

He said WOZ was done fairly early on too. It wasn't.

#2720 7 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

I think you might be mixing two different meanings into the same word.

"Done" vs probably more correctly "Complete".

I would think they meant "functionally complete" in terms of the software functional specification.

Everything now exists that it was originally designed to have ie. 3 arkenstone modes. 30+ modes. All multiball modes. etc.

The earlier code was missing both Barrel escape and battle of five armies, yet had lights for them on the playfield so was considered technically "incomplete". To the user they were obviously missing as there was no way to activate these particular playfield lights.

"Done" could be interpreted as no more "non-bug" fix updates.

#2721 7 years ago

Hard mounted my Azog bust as a topper using the existing mount holes, its loose enough that it can be slowly rotated to face other directions. I'd been meaning to do this for a while but hadn't thought of a nice safe (it could fall onto the glass as it is very heavy) and also removable way to do it.

IMG_8060 (resized).JPGIMG_8060 (resized).JPG
IMG_8056 (resized).JPGIMG_8056 (resized).JPG
IMG_8058 (resized).JPGIMG_8058 (resized).JPG

Also added kili to the playfield using reusable 3m double double sided adhesive patches. Only issue is that I've made an area fly ball's can't get out of :\

IMG_8079 (resized).JPGIMG_8079 (resized).JPG

#2722 7 years ago

Was playing tonight and noticed my orc pop-up not popping, investigation showed the 'orc hit' switch was permanently on. Lifted the playfield and the green/white wire for the hit switch has been totally severed. Support case raised with JJP, looks like a bastard to fix...

#2723 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Was playing tonight and noticed my orc pop-up not popping, investigation showed the 'orc hit' switch was permanently on. Lifted the playfield and the green/white wire for the hit switch has been totally severed. Support case raised with JJP, looks like a bastard to fix...

Design flaw with beast mech stuck ball fix. See previous post for fix

#2724 7 years ago

Did anyone else have open tickets on jjp's support page? Mine were closed on the 6th but I'm still waiting on parts Victor's shipped on the 20th... I'm wondering if it just happens because it's a new year? Why not close the ticket on 1/1/17 then? Not sure how they can consider an issue closed without checking first. =/

#2725 7 years ago
Quoted from Ransom99:

Did anyone else have open tickets on jjp's support page? Mine were closed on the 6th but I'm still waiting on parts Victor's shipped on the 20th... I'm wondering if it just happens because it's a new year? Why not close the ticket on 1/1/17 then? Not sure how they can consider an issue closed without checking first. =/

This happens from time to time. Call them directly for the best service.

#2726 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Other than adding the washer to hold the wire out of the way, is there an official fix for this?

#2727 7 years ago
Quoted from Ransom99:

They are doing inventory, should go out next week. At least that's what my ticket opened earlier this week said.

#2728 7 years ago

So I read this somewhere but can't seem to find it now. What is it that you adjust when the balls are not always making it out of the trough into the shooter lane?

Thanks!

#2729 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

What is it that you adjust when the balls are not always making it out of the trough into the shooter lane?

http://www.pinplay.com/5/adjusting_the_ball_trough_on_woz.html

LTG : )

#2730 7 years ago

Thanks Lloyd I wasn't sure which side needed adjusting!

#2731 7 years ago

What are these two connectors in the back of the cabinet for?

20170106_222717 (resized).jpg20170106_222717 (resized).jpg

20170106_222552 (resized).jpg20170106_222552 (resized).jpg

#2732 7 years ago

Blue one is topper which hobbit doesn't have, 12v one is not used.

#2733 7 years ago

Thanks, the blue two pin not used, is it powered? Seems to be running to the coin door somewhere. Might want to make my own topper and light it up. Guess I could also tap off the black-yellow connector. I'll take some measurements with my DMM.

#2734 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Thanks, the blue two pin not used, is it powered? Seems to be running to the coin door somewhere. Might want to make my own topper and light it up. Guess I could also tap off the black-yellow connector. I'll take some measurements with my DMM.

The topper plug is powered. Joe from Laseriffic launched his topper at Expo 2016 (well that's where I saw it) and many folks like it. Up until the latest software release, the game did not support lighting a topper but now it does. The Laseriffic topper was delayed getting into production by Warner Bros., which had to approve the artwork. Not telling you to buy one as the reception I've seen has been mixed, but I really like it.

#2735 7 years ago

Installed some lighting mods today, lit back area and trough gold! Before and after...We will be selling these as a package, both lights shipped for $65. Takes only a few minutes to install.

20170107_124835 (resized).jpg20170107_124835 (resized).jpg
20170107_125213 (resized).jpg20170107_125213 (resized).jpg
the-hobbit-pinball-led-strip-backboard-light-kit (resized).JPGthe-hobbit-pinball-led-strip-backboard-light-kit (resized).JPG
20170107_124844 (resized).jpg20170107_124844 (resized).jpg

#2736 7 years ago

Not quite sure why you need to adds lights to such a modern machine
In my opinion I have not seen one mod that enhanced the already beautiful game.
Just no need for it!

#2737 7 years ago
Quoted from Bigtone808:

Just no need for it!

I'm with you here. Lighting on this game is excellent, no need to add anything and if you do add something and it will probably wash out the game effects.

#2738 7 years ago

The back is very dark, you can't even see the detail in the back area. the light highlights every detail in that beautiful back area. I also like the way the ramps glow gold. Keep in mind too that cameras exaggerate led effects, it's not glaring at all in person. Personal taste.

#2740 7 years ago

Last night played multiple games with no issues and have had no issues with the goblin pop up since getting the game. All of a sudden goblin pop up will try and pop up when the goblin switch is activated but doesn't pop all the way up and stay up. Investigated multiple things; manually pushing goblin up, it will slide up and down with no restrictions. The wires are free and not catching. Tried to fire the coil in coil test mode and it fires but doesn't pop up as far as the other pop ups do. If I slightly push up manually on the goblin(less then an 8th of an inch) it will pop up when firing the coil in test mode. Again, moving the goblin up manually there is no restrictions. Playfield was put down and played a game and it worked for about six pop ups and then went back to it wanting to pop up but doesn't stay up (you can here the coil fire and it moves up about a 1/4th of an inch then falls back down). I tried putting in a couple of washers to pitch the mechanism, sliding the mechanism to the left as the top right corner of the goblin appears to have a corner that could possible be hitting the side of the playfield but visibly inspecting the mechanism(sliding it up and down) the movement looks like it is not catching any where and it moves freely. Now when the game is played and goblin switch is activated it will try and pop up once(moves about a 1/4th of an inch falls down) then pops up and stays up. It has symptoms of the mechanism binding or catching but manually sliding it up and down it is not catching or binding. Wondering what I should try next?

Also; In coil test number 7, what is this the "coil hold"? It does nothing when activated. All other pop ups are the same, you can fire the individual coil then the next test below is "coil hold" and it doesn't do anything...

#2741 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

wanting to pop up but doesn't stay up

Check if the character face is too sensitive and triggering a hit on the way up.

Quoted from docdeath:

what is this the "coil hold"?

Try holding the thing up and then press hold and see if it holds. That is how flippers usually work.

#2742 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Last night played multiple games with no issues and have had no issues with the goblin pop up since getting the game. All of a sudden goblin pop up will try and pop up when the goblin switch is activated but doesn't pop all the way up and stay up. Investigated multiple things; manually pushing goblin up, it will slide up and down with no restrictions. The wires are free and not catching. Tried to fire the coil in coil test mode and it fires but doesn't pop up as far as the other pop ups do. If I slightly push up manually on the goblin(less then an 8th of an inch) it will pop up when firing the coil in test mode. Again, moving the goblin up manually there is no restrictions. Playfield was put down and played a game and it worked for about six pop ups and then went back to it wanting to pop up but doesn't stay up (you can here the coil fire and it moves up about a 1/4th of an inch then falls back down). I tried putting in a couple of washers to pitch the mechanism, sliding the mechanism to the left as the top right corner of the goblin appears to have a corner that could possible be hitting the side of the playfield but visibly inspecting the mechanism(sliding it up and down) the movement looks like it is not catching any where and it moves freely. Now when the game is played and goblin switch is activated it will try and pop up once(moves about a 1/4th of an inch falls down) then pops up and stays up. It has symptoms of the mechanism binding or catching but manually sliding it up and down it is not catching or binding. Wondering what I should try next?
Also; In coil test number 7, what is this the "coil hold"? It does nothing when activated. All other pop ups are the same, you can fire the individual coil then the next test below is "coil hold" and it doesn't do anything...

do you have the pop up plastic fix kit? if so i had similar issues and i had to file / chamfer the edges of the plastics as the goblin, orc and spider hit them. especially the goblins "eye bump". you will find when play field is up everything slides nice but in play field down position the faces rub and hang up. GL hope this helps.

#2743 7 years ago

Put extra lighting with Red in back and red by flippers back when I first got it and love it! But then again I'm addicted to modding lol

IMG_3991 (resized).JPGIMG_3991 (resized).JPG

IMG_3992 (resized).JPGIMG_3992 (resized).JPG

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2744 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Check if the character face is too sensitive and triggering a hit on the way up.

Try holding the thing up and then press hold and see if it holds. That is how flippers usually work.

Quoted from freddy:

do you have the pop up plastic fix kit? if so i had similar issues and i had to file / chamfer the edges of the plastics as the goblin, orc and spider hit them. especially the goblins "eye bump". you will find when play field is up everything slides nice but in play field down position the faces rub and hang up. GL hope this helps.

LTG and Freddy thank you for the speedy replies. I have inspected the goblin face and the plastic fix. I believe the sensitivity of the leaf switch on the face was to close and pulling it back a bit has fixed the issue. Have played multiple games and no issues! Its time to open bottle of wine!!!

#2745 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

LTG and Freddy thank you for the speedy replies. I have inspected the goblin face and the plastic fix. I believe the sensitivity of the leaf switch on the face was to close and pulling it back a bit has fixed the issue. Have played multiple games and no issues! Its time to open bottle of wine!!!

yes but the face will move forward again. remember its a BASH fest! LOL

#2746 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The back is very dark, you can't even see the detail in the back area. the light highlights every detail in that beautiful back area. I also like the way the ramps glow gold. Keep in mind too that cameras exaggerate led effects, it's not glaring at all in person. Personal taste.

I think if the ramps are too lit, It might make it hard to notice the mode lights as they change.
Other than that I do like the trough glow, it looks cool.

#2747 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

This happens from time to time. Call them directly for the best service.

Quoted from Lermods:

They are doing inventory, should go out next week. At least that's what my ticket opened earlier this week said.

Yeah the inventory response is what I got after I opened a new ticket.

I dunno. my order date was 12/20 but a few days after that (unless I'm counting wrong) another member here emailed Victor about the same problem. They got their order... where's mine?

#2748 7 years ago

Just for the record

I am not anti mod I have a T2 chrome modded to death With the advances in lighting etc it was a no brainer

#2749 7 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Put extra lighting with Red in back and red by flippers back when I first got it and love it! But then again I'm addicted to modding lol

is this what you used? at $12 for a entire roll ebay.com link: 5m 16ft Roll 3528 SMD LED 600 LEDs Flexible Waterproof Light Strip 12V Choose

#2750 7 years ago
Quoted from Bigtone808:

Just no need for it!

i do wish somebody made side blades that actually look good and fit the theme and decals that look right for the stand up bare targets

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 259.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/55 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.