20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 259.
#2651 7 years ago

I don't know how y'all put up those high scores. I just got a new GC score tonight and have had this game for a while. Played into the fire for quite a while and 3 Smaug multiballs. Had barrel escape lit but drained my final ball in like 5 seconds which really sucked.

Great game. Other thing that sucked about this game is I was showing a newb my games and playing 2 player and he basically never got to play Hobbit lol.

IMG_1349 (resized).JPGIMG_1349 (resized).JPG

#2652 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

We've only had our Hobbit setup for a few weeks now and it's very addicting. Been playing it almost every day, learning the rules and strategies. I got grand champion on 2 consecutive games yesterday (highest just over 2 million now), so I'm getting there. My son was surprised that my wife and I don't know the storyline to understand some of what is going on - we never saw the movies, but love the game. For Christmas my son bought us the blue ray DVDs of the trilogy. Very thoughtful, but he unknowing is feeding the addiction. We will be watching the movies tomorrow to get a better understanding. That's strange ... watching a movie trilogy to understand a pinball game better. I guess we ARE weird like my kids claim.

Maybe not THAT weird. I did the same thing with TWD. Bought the machine and THEN a couple weeks later binge watched all six seasons on Netflix.
At least we got our games for the right reason (gameplay)...

#2653 7 years ago

POTENTIAL HELP NEEDED (attn. LTG & Others): I have approx. 30 game plays on my LE Hobbit. Today I played 2 games without any problems. In the middle of the 3rd game, both LCD screens (back box & Book) went black. I finished the game without screens functioning and blindly initialed the game. I started another game, both screens still dark, quickly finished the game & turn the pinball Off. After approx. 5 min., I turn the game on & everything was fine. Both screens worked. I played 4 more games without problem. Question: Is there a potential problem brewing? Maybe I have a semi-loose connection? Any suggestions? Should I keep playing till the problem arises again, or should I check something now? If "something now", what?

#2654 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Maybe I have a semi-loose connection?

That would be my first thought.

LTG : )

#2655 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That would be my first thought.

When I turn on the game, there is a double static/power surge (?), a "snap-snap" over the sound system, not immediately but when the LCD screens come on. Is this normal? This has always bin the case, from my first game play to present. On some of my other machines, there is also a single power surge (?) snap when I turn them on, but it is immediate.

#2656 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

When I turn on the game, there is a double static/power surge (?), a "snap-snap" over the sound system, not immediately but when the LCD screens come on. Is this normal? This has always bin the case, from my first game play to present. On some of my other machines, there is also a single power surge (?) snap when I turn them on, but it is immediate.

Mine double snaps while booting as well.

#2657 7 years ago

Anyone have any feedback on this.....it seems like the Radagast (right hole) light should be on during game play per picture shown and it's not? I know the light works fine during other animations and so forth but weird it's off otherwise?

IMG_0084 (resized).JPGIMG_0084 (resized).JPG

#2658 7 years ago

It depends on when exactly, doesn't it? I mean it shouldn't always be on. It depends on whether or not that shot does something beyond just adding Rad to the dwarf party.

#2659 7 years ago

Am I not aloud to start battle of the 5 armies until the other 2 are complete? I got into the fire and barrel escape 2 times and never finished them. BOT5A never lit.

#2660 7 years ago

You don't have to finish the other 2 modes to get to battle of 5 armies

#2661 7 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

You don't have to finish the other 2 modes to get to battle of 5 armies

Than how do I light it instead of the othe 2? I played the other 2 twice but never bot5a

#2662 7 years ago

You can't they always go in sequence. ITF is always first.

#2663 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

You can't they always go in sequence. ITF is always first.

So I must have started it and did not realize it? Very weird

#2664 7 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Than how do I light it instead of the othe 2? I played the other 2 twice but never bot5a

Do you have the most current code? Only reason that could have happened I think is if you didn't have the new code with BOT5A

#2665 7 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Do you have the most current code? Only reason that could have happened I think is if you didn't have the new code with BOT5A

I did not install the most recent update yet. This must be why I did not see it. I will do that tonight. It is a delta update correct?

#2666 7 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

code with BOT5A

?

#2667 7 years ago

Battle of Five armies BoFA
Yes 1.90 is a delta update

#2668 7 years ago

It depends on when exactly, doesn't it? I mean it shouldn't always be on. It depends on whether or not that shot does something beyond just adding Rad to the dwarf party.

I would think it would be on at the same times the left hole shot is on or off and it's not - as in the photo shown....it's rarely on at a comparable time in the game like the left hole is.

#2669 7 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

So I must have started it and did not realize it? Very weird

You have old code.

#2670 7 years ago

Quick Question: Aren't the four PF spotlights 12V?

#2671 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Quick Question: Aren't the four PF spotlights 12V?

Yes

#2672 7 years ago

Quick question, has anyone tried replacing the playfield spotlights with a warm white LED? Just wondering if this would look terrible, cheers.

#2673 7 years ago

Hi, got my Hobbit Smaug about 10days ago. Not had a ton of time to play during xmas, but last couple of days finally. Has anyone had lots of airballs that result in the ball getting stuck middle right edge of the playfield. I had 2 trapped there and one on top of the barrels in one game alone! I can cope with the odd barrel landing as thats rare but the mid right trap seems quite often. Otherwise its pretty stunning.

#2674 7 years ago
Quoted from daspadger:

Hi, got my Hobbit Smaug about 10days ago. Not had a ton of time to play during xmas, but last couple of days finally. Has anyone had lots of airballs that result in the ball getting stuck middle right edge of the playfield. I had 2 trapped there and one on top of the barrels in one game alone! I can cope with the odd barrel landing as thats rare but the mid right trap seems quite often. Otherwise its pretty stunning.

It sounds like you have too much speed on balls exiting the cross over ramps. At really high speed this can occur.

I've had balls get onto the barrel only twice. Once when I first got the machine and once more recently when playing with ramp angle and flipper power.

Check your playfield angle (6.5-7 degrees). If thats ok for how you like it then dial down the power on your flippers.
Just drop it 1 level at a time until your air balls are almost non existent.

#2675 7 years ago
Quoted from daspadger:

Has anyone had lots of airballs that result in the ball getting stuck middle right edge of the playfield

What koops said.
I have had about 4 balls go off the wire habitrail and land in that same spot over the course of owning my THLE (about 4 months).
Each time was after I tweaked either the playfield pitch or flipper strength.
I've learned that this game requires a more precise give-n-take between coil strength (all coils) and pitch to really dial it in and play perfectly.
I'm also noticing that I need to make minor tweaks every 20 games or so as it continues to break-in (I'm at about 240 plays).

#2676 7 years ago
Quoted from daspadger:

If the ball is getting trapped on top of the plastic in the middle right of the PF:

On my game the ball was stopped by a black wire-tie on a post that held a wire.
I simply raised the wire tie to the top of the post instead of the bottom.

I tested the area with a ball and now it goes thru like it was designed to.

After seeing this I used a ball to test several other areas that were questionable and havent has a ball hang anywhere other than Smaugs shoulder or on top of a barrel (these only happen on a freshly waxed PF when the game is a little wild, but it goes away after a few plays).

#2677 7 years ago

I keep getting a ball stuck on top of the "E" pop up targets in "ELF" when it is down. When it pops up, it launches the ball real hard and loud into the glass. Anybody do a mod to stop that? I don't want it to break the glass.

#2678 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I keep getting a ball stuck on top of the "E" pop up targets in "ELF" when it is down. When it pops up, it launches the ball real hard and loud into the glass. Anybody do a mod to stop that? I don't want it to break the glass.

You can twist up the height adjustment screw to raise E drop ever so slightly and the ball probably won't rest there as much.

#2679 7 years ago

You can twist up the height adjustment screw to raise E drop ever so slightly and the ball probably won't rest there as much.

Thanks! I'll try that.

#2680 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Thanks! I'll try that.

I used a thin straight-edge (6" metal ruler) to get the drops just right all around my game.
A couple were too high resulting in a little wear on the edge of the drop, a few were too low resulting in balls resting in the channel, like yours.

#2681 7 years ago

My son and I put up these scores tonight . His score is higher .

IMG_2727 (resized).JPGIMG_2727 (resized).JPG

#2682 7 years ago

Wow! Nice scores.

#2683 7 years ago

Thinking about getting a hobbit. Can someone please tell me what the maximum height is with the legs off, head faded down? I have just under 31" of room in my 2016 pilot. Thx.

#2684 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Thinking about getting a hobbit. Can someone please tell me what the maximum height is with the legs off, head faded down? I have just under 31" of room in my 2016 pilot. Thx.

come over and play mine anytime! ill even let you play DR dude and W?D LOL

#2685 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I measure about 32 inches. Great pin if you like pins that have many modes that "request" that you make specific shots in a specific order that the playfield and callouts indicate to get the most points. I love it! So do my wife and adult kids. Very addicting game play.

#2686 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I measure about 32 inches. Great pin if you like pins that have many modes that "request" that you make specific shots in a specific order that the playfield and callouts indicate to get the most points. I love it! So do my wife and adult kids. Very addicting game play.

Thanks, that's over an inch taller then a stern, didn't realize it was that tall. Won't fit in my suv.

#2687 7 years ago

Today my buddy got the hobbit smog. I've never played this game before and thought it was great but the fourth game in I had an awesome game that lasted roughly 45 minutes to an hour and game just stopped and the balls drained like when you beat medieval madness and was showing a clip of the dragon and it said you beat the smog. The game then fired back up into a multi-ball. Just was wondering did I beat the game or was there more to it

#2688 7 years ago
Quoted from Blackstorm:

Today my buddy got the hobbit smog. I've never played this game before and thought it was great but the fourth game in I had an awesome game that lasted roughly 45 minutes to an hour and game just stopped and the balls drained like when you beat medieval madness and was showing a clip of the dragon and it said you beat the smog. The game then fired back up into a multi-ball. Just was wondering did I beat the game or was there more to it

MUCH more to it! you just scratched the surface!

#2689 7 years ago
Quoted from Blackstorm:

You beat Smaug multiball, which is a decent challenge but not too tough. There is MUCH MUCH more to do and much harder goals in the game.

#2690 7 years ago

BlackStorm helped me unload and lock in my Smaug SE. He put up a 1.9M score, which was quite impressive. Me and another pinhead played it all night and couldn't touch his mark. Is the code update to 1.90 a must? I think mine is original code, possibly 1.31? All the guests at the New Years party loved this game. Now, we just need to learn the code and what we are trying to accomplish when we play

#2691 7 years ago
Quoted from CyberNinja24:

Is the code update to 1.90 a must? I think mine is original code, possibly 1.31?

Yes. A lot more to do.

1.90 is a delta install. Very simple to do.

#2692 7 years ago

Double Thanks! Thanks for the tip on the code update and thanks for taking our call yesterday. Loose connector. Always the last one a guy checks, too.
Happy New Year Lloyd!!

#2693 7 years ago

I killed smog last night wat a rush! Amazing sound and video! WOW

#2694 7 years ago

I realize this information is probably out there floating around, but for the 1.90 code upgrade, simply go to JJP website and download? What is a delta upgrade? Thanks in advance.

#2695 7 years ago

Delta means you don't need unetbootin. It adds software on top of your existing software it does not rewrite the hard drive.

#2696 7 years ago

And yes it's free to download and instructions are on the support site.

#2697 7 years ago
Quoted from CyberNinja24:

simply go to JJP website and download? What is a delta upgrade?

Download here : http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/support/

What I do for a delta update on my pc. Download it and place on desktop, appears as a zipped file. Put a USB memory stick into my computer and format to fat32. Then left click the file once, right click and select from the menu extract All and send to the USB stick.

When done go to the Hobbit with the game turned on. Open the coin door, insert the USB stick into the USB cable on the left side of the cash box. Go to Utilities - USB update - do what the screen says.

It should say "Updating" and then a little later the screen may go black - LEAVE IT RUN - DO NOT TURN GAME OFF. When it is done the game will reboot. Then unplug the USB stick. Close the coin door. Play and enjoy your game.

Disclaimer - If you turn the game off during update, then you get to learn about Unetbootin, full install. Time consuming type stuff.

#2698 7 years ago

had this game for a while and never beat Smaug. In fact, I don't even know if I've had him Tee'd up to defeat before. Usually so much going on at one time with Smaug MB and beast MB stacking. My only desires for this game is for those 2 things not to stack and for more audio clues to know what to shoot for. This game needs a "spotter" for the person playing. Despite those two issues, Hobbit is the consensus favorite amongst my pins at home.

#2699 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

had this game for a while and never beat Smaug. In fact, I don't even know if I've had him Tee'd up to defeat before. Usually so much going on at one time with Smaug MB and beast MB stacking. My only desires for this game is for those 2 things not to stack and for more audio clues to know what to shoot for. This game needs a "spotter" for the person playing. Despite those two issues, Hobbit is the consensus favorite amongst my pins at home.

This, I feel exactly the same, never thought I would say this but the option to have 'less' going on would enrich the experience.

#2700 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

This, I feel exactly the same, never thought I would say this but the option to have 'less' going on would enrich the experience.

I agree, I would like to see Beast Multiball and Feast Mulitball fleshed out a bit more and then only be playable by themselves. Smaug MB could then be played as its own mode.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 259.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/54 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.