20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 259.
#2601 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlosopher:

Love it where are the buttons from?

Pinball decal !

#2602 7 years ago
Quoted from Ransom99:

Your words speak of wisdom I've yet to even have a taste of. I won't rag on the JJP folks for having me lift the PF so much, it's a learning experience I guess...?
Mind if I ask where the mirror black blades came from? In my head they look sick as F@#&! The ones you had in the picture sure 'nuff were from tilt folks. I like them better than the gauged stock black stuff I have now but the faces on those decals don't do it for me.

I purchased the mirrored black side mirrors from Pinball Decals: http://www.pinballdecals.com/MirrorBladesPage.html. On this site, they are the WMS blades which fit JJP's machines. They are expensive (approx. $220 with shipping). I asked Joey if the hole for the back box rear hinge nut/cap is 5/8". He measured it and said it's between 9/16" & 5/8". That should be large enough. If too tight, use a round file or a Dremal tool with a grinding stone to slightly enlarge the hole (keep protective film on). Hole enlargement, if necessary, doesn't need to be perfect because the nut/cap has a flange to hide any irregular enlargement. You do need some play (between 1 to 2mm) to be able to position the blades in perfect alignment with the top edge of the cabinet sides.

#2603 7 years ago
Quoted from Ransom99:

Your words speak of wisdom I've yet to even have a taste of. I won't rag on the JJP folks for having me lift the PF so much, it's a learning experience I guess...?
Mind if I ask where the mirror black blades came from? In my head they look sick as F@#&! The ones you had in the picture sure 'nuff were from tilt folks. I like them better than the gauged stock black stuff I have now but the faces on those decals don't do it for me.

Agree, those aren't from or about the hobbit or LOTR. Looks more like Warcraft or something generic. I may get mirrored blades if no one does true hobbit blades.

#2604 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Agree, those aren't from or about the hobbit or LOTR. Looks more like Warcraft or something generic. I may get mirrored blades if no one does true hobbit blades.

I'm holding out for the PowerBladez for TH from PinGraffix. Take a look at what they did for the MET Creeping Death version. Everyone lobby PinGraffix to work on the TH version next in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-which-powerbladez-would-you-like-to-see-pingraffix

The more votes in our favor the better!

#2605 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

I can't remember if their from tilt graphics, pin graffix or on eBay. They are of high quality & resistant to scratch, but they will if PF lifted carelessly. At the time of purchase, there were only two choices. The set I got, as pictured in previous post, and a set that were light tan and fit the theme of the apron decal.
When I received the graphics, they did not fit the contour of the backside of the cabinet. There was also no hole for the back box hinge nut/cap. Luckily, I had a set of Hobbit mirror blades. I used them as a template to cut the back ends of the graphics and make a hole for the hinge nut/cap. The hole is 5/8" diameter.
Presently, I like my graphics better than the regular mirror blades. I'll live with them awhile, but I did order a set of mirrored black blades. They might be really dramatic!
To protect the black cabinet sides, mirror blades if installed, or the decal graphics when raising the PF, I insert & tape sheets of paper between the cabinet sides and the PF, then raise the PF. It's a pain in the butt, but it's worth the protection!

Photo of paper sheet protection of cabinet side wall, mirror blades, or decal with PF raising.

Hobbit Cab & PF protection 001 (resized).JPGHobbit Cab & PF protection 001 (resized).JPG

#2606 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Photo of paper sheet protection of cabinet side wall, mirror blades, or decal with PF raising.

That's a good idea. Some people also put self-sticking felt material along the side of the wood playfield. I might do that too.

#2607 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I'm holding out for the PowerBladez for TH from PinGraffix. Take a look at what they did for the MET Creeping Death version. Everyone lobby PinGraffix to work on the TH version next in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-which-powerbladez-would-you-like-to-see-pingraffix
The more votes in our favor the better!

Holy cow. I didn't know such PowerBladez cabinet sides were in existence. I went to the thread a voted for the Hobbit. What is the cost? Maybe I should have waited on purchasing the mirrored black side mirrors!!!

#2608 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Holy cow. I didn't know such PowerBladez cabinet sides were in existence. I went to the thread a voted for the Hobbit. What is the cost? Maybe I should have waited on purchasing the mirrored black side mirrors!!!

That's why they have that "poll" thread - to see what the interest is for which theme to take on next. They have matching speaker grills too. I think the animated PowerBladez were $299. I hope they do a TH version soon. I'm holding out for it. They said one for ACDC is about to be released. I'll likely get that one too.

Vote, vote, vote!

Now we just need an animated AND interactive topper for TH!

#2609 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

That's why they have that "poll" thread - to see what the interest is for which theme to take on next. They have matching speaker grills too. I think the animated PowerBladez were $299. I hope they do a TH version soon. I'm holding out for it. They said one for ACDC is about to be released. I'll likely get that one too.
Vote, vote, vote!
Now we just need an animated AND interactive topper for TH!

Photo of my Hobbit topper to be installed. I'll try to make it interactive with LED spotlighting.

smaug 001 (resized).JPGsmaug 001 (resized).JPG

#2610 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Photo of my Hobbit topper to be installed. I'll try to make it interactive with LED spotlighting.

I bought the Weta Smaug Bust from Black Friday deals as well to put in as a topper We are trying to figure out today how to install it - what is your plan, how to put it in its place?

#2611 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Speaking of Smaug... Anyone else getting the urge to dismantle the one on the playfield and paint inside the head above and below the eye? It feels rushed with the eyebrow and head lighting up =/

#2612 7 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I bought the Weta Smaug Bust from Black Friday deals as well to put in as a topper We are trying to figure out today how to install it - what is your plan, how to put it in its place?

I will use Velcro strips on the bottom of the bust!

#2613 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

I will use Velcro strips on the bottom of the bust!

You can also use double-sided mounting tape such as Scotch Clear 3M tape. It holds 10# in a vertical position (of course the bust is mounted flat). The potential problem here is if you ever have to remove the bust from the top of the back box. It would be quite difficult! That's why I think Velcro is the best solution.

#2614 7 years ago
Quoted from Ransom99:

Speaking of Smaug... Anyone else getting the urge to dismantle the one on the playfield and paint inside the head above and below the eye? It feels rushed with the eyebrow and head lighting up =/

The wife wants to add mascara and eye-lashes to him...

#2615 7 years ago

Lloyd the Great, help: When I go into the test mode to test various coils, it says push the start button to test. When I do that, nothing happens! Thanks

#2616 7 years ago

Pull out the high power interlock switch to restore the high power. Left side of door frame, top switch

#2617 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Lloyd the Great, help: When I go into the test mode to test various coils, it says push the start button to test. When I do that, nothing happens! Thanks

How stupid/naïve am I!!! You have to close the coin door to test!!!!!

#2618 7 years ago

I have another problem I can't for the life of me figure out. With game play, the right flipper migrates upward. If it was loose, it would migrate downward. The flipper bat rod is anchored really tight. I can't screw it tighter.

#2619 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

I have another problem I can't for the life of me figure out. With game play, the right flipper migrates upward. If it was loose, it would migrate downward. The flipper bat rod is anchored really tight. I can't screw it tighter.

Check the coil stop on that flipper. Remove it and check for binding or debris in the coil sleeve?
At 900 plays the left flipper on my game started to hang.
The coil stop had noticeable wear and the plunger had slight mushrooming, also tons of black metal dust from the stop binding up the plunger.

Im not sure if the stops are softer than in the past, or if due to the many multiballs in this game it just gets an above avearge work-out.

Either way I cleaned both the left and right flipper coils stops, sleeves and filed off the plunger wear. It seems fine for now.

I will probably replace the stops and plungers in another 900 plays if it goes that far.

Curiously my WOZ has 3000 plays on it and has less wear on the flipper coil stops and plungers, and its an identical mech.

#2620 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

You have to close the coin door to test!!!!!

Or pull out the high power interlock switch. Top white switch on left side of coin door opening.

Quoted from docdeath:

You might have a defective pawl that can't be tightened. It isn't holding the flipper shaft tight enough. Give it all you got.

LTG : )

#2621 7 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Where did you buy it? I never saw it go (or caught it) on sale on Ebay. I want to keep on eye out for another sale.

#2622 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Or pull out the high power interlock switch. Top white switch on left side of coin door opening.

You might have a defective pawl that can't be tightened. It isn't holding the flipper shaft tight enough. Give it all you got.

I checked the coil stop & sleeve per above post. Everything is OK. This is a new game with only 10 plays, so I was sure that was not the problem. I invited my 300 pound neighbor over to tighten the pawl, and sure enough, with his strength, the flipper bat is now tight & secure without upward/downward movement with play. Thanks, LTG

#2623 7 years ago

I installed with velcro the Weta Smaug Bust with its base on top of the backbox. I was considering doing it without the base, but it seemed that this is the more stable way to do it, so I went with the base.

Smaug (resized).JPGSmaug (resized).JPG

#2624 7 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I installed with velcro the Weta Smaug Bust with its base on top of the backbox. I was considering doing it without the base, but it seemed that this is the more stable way to do it, so I went with the base.

Looks great!

#2625 7 years ago

It's been over 2 months since v 1.90 code dropped (10/18/2016). Hope we get some new code love soon!! What is on everyone's code wishlist? My top wishes are:

1. LOTS more call outs! I feel like I never have time to look at either screen (especially during multiballs), so more call outs would be very welcomed.

2. More Smaug speech - I still don't feel like he says all that much.

3. A way to end Beast Multiball, especially when playing Smaug Multiball. It would be cool if that was player controllable with the ring button.

4. Post game stats - review modes played, completion percentages, bonuses earned, etc.

Hobbit is such a great game!!

#2626 7 years ago

I'd REALLY like to see "Coin door ball save" for those times during a great game when the ball gets stuck somewhere and you have to pull the glass to get it, or when the phone rings or dinner is ready.

#2627 7 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

4. Post game stats - review modes played, completion percentages, bonuses earned, etc.
Hobbit is such a great game!!

That would have to be a home option toggle i'd think.

ie. End game stats : Short, Normal, Extended, Statistician

That would be good and easily doable but they'd need to do more logging as they don't record all the events for mode completion percentages and all bonuses earned (as far as I can tell).

I'm working on some stats for my machine at the moment so i'd like logging of every single switch hit and score trigger in the game

#2628 7 years ago

I'm noticing some random behavior with my Orc pop-up. After a random period of playing the coil that lowers the pop up will fire every two or three seconds. It will continue even when the game is in attract mode. I'm guessing the game thinks the target is up so it's trying to lower it. I inspected the switch that detects when the pop-up is down and reseated the connector to it. Did not notice anything that looked awry.

It's not a major problem... yet... any ideas for further debugging and bullet-proofing?

#2629 7 years ago

It relies on gravity to drop but there is an up switch to tell it when it's up. I'd check to see if your up switch is staying closed even when it's down

#2630 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

It relies on gravity to drop but there is an up switch to tell it when it's up. I'd check to see if your up switch is staying closed even when it's down

Thanks, will investigate!

#2631 7 years ago

I joined the club this past Saturday! My wife got me a used SE as a Christmas present from another pinsider - she's the best! To be honest, I was a little nervous - I played it at SFGE and wasn't completely impressed. But man, getting it home and setting it up correctly makes a HUGE difference. So much better when you can hear what is going on and you don't have a line of impatient people behind you waiting their turn. It plays really fast and isn't floaty at all. A big THANK YOU to those of you who posted earlier about setting the game up properly - it really does change the game experience.

Quick question to any of you - I have to replace a couple of broken springs in the dwarf drop target (I'm going to replace them all actually, with new). Anyone have a suggestion to easily do this? I also noticed some of the associated coil wires had gotten lodged where they shouldn't in the mechanism - was able to reroute/fix that. But I'm not looking forward to those springs...

#2632 7 years ago
Quoted from scerik:

I'm not looking forward to those springs...

If the spring is still there hanging on the target, I'd bend a loop or two over on the broken end and hook it back on the hook on the metal they hook to.

They don't seem to break again after that.

#2633 7 years ago

Thanks! That helped! Dwarf now works perfectly. Next up, cliffys and playfield protector. I love this game!

#2634 7 years ago

Something that I don't understand yet ... Sometimes some of the "Lock" roll-overs turn red after I have the 3rd lock waiting. Sometimes the red ones turn green when I roll over them, sometimes the green ones turn red (I think), but not all the time. What am I qualifying with that and should I be trying for the red or green roll-overs?

#2635 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Something that I don't understand yet ... Sometimes some of the "Lock" roll-overs turn red after I have the 3rd lock waiting. Sometimes the red ones turn green when I roll over them, sometimes the green ones turn red (I think), but not all the time. What am I qualifying with that and should I be trying for the red or green roll-overs?

I think the Smaug locks get harder as the game goes on so it could be that. Also I've noticed it turn red when I've locked more than 1 or 2 balls in the secret lock. Spell the red lock to get 3rd and 4th secret lock.

#2636 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet/page/3#post-3421626 - Page 26.

In short - separation of book and smaug multiballs.
More specifically, the lock buttons operate two sets of locks. Ramp locks and orbit locks.

Full Text.
Book Mode Multiball allows you to start a mode as a multiball. To do so you must light locks and then
lock balls via the green lit orbits. Up to 3 balls may be locked for Book Mode Multiball.
Book Mode Multiball locks are lit after spelling LOCK for Smaug Multiball. A Sneak In lock is also possible
by a slow/soft orbit shot that falls into the hidden hole.
Note: If you lock a ball for Smaug Multiball the Book Mode Multiball locks will remain lit and vice versa.
Note: When locking balls via the orbits the magnet behind Smaug will capture the ball and divert it to
the hidden hole and then right VUK.

Note: If you are in a mode it is not possible to lock balls for book mode multiball although the Smaug
Locks are still available.

After two Book Mode Multiballs you’ll need to spell LOCK independently of Smaug Multiball (red colored
instead of just green colored LOCK)

#2637 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet/page/3#post-3421626 - Page 26.
In short - separation of book and smaug multiballs.
More specifically, the lock buttons operate two sets of locks. Ramp locks and orbit locks.
Full Text.
Book Mode Multiball allows you to start a mode as a multiball. To do so you must light locks and then
lock balls via the green lit orbits. Up to 3 balls may be locked for Book Mode Multiball.
Book Mode Multiball locks are lit after spelling LOCK for Smaug Multiball. A Sneak In lock is also possible
by a slow/soft orbit shot that falls into the hidden hole.
Note: If you lock a ball for Smaug Multiball the Book Mode Multiball locks will remain lit and vice versa.
Note: When locking balls via the orbits the magnet behind Smaug will capture the ball and divert it to
the hidden hole and then right VUK.
Note: If you are in a mode it is not possible to lock balls for book mode multiball although the Smaug
Locks are still available.
After two Book Mode Multiballs you’ll need to spell LOCK independently of Smaug Multiball (red colored
instead of just green colored LOCK)

Thanks ... still a little unclear, but I get the general concept. It's another multiball mode. I'll have to read up on what to do once the lock roll-overs are all red. I have not got them all red yet.

#2638 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Thanks ... still a little unclear, but I get the general concept. It's another multiball mode. I'll have to read up on what to do once the lock roll-overs are all red. I have not got them all red yet.

No, it's not. It's just harder progression to lock balls for modes. When you get them all red the loops light to lock a ball for the next mode.

#2639 7 years ago

Check these out!! http://www.noblecollection.com/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey
I bought the thorin, Gandalf and taureil openers and will order the thorin key set to dress up my machine , found them on holiday in Mexico and they come from Spain really decent quality will post pics in the machine when I get home in two weeks
http://www.noblecollection.com/ItemImages/Large/LET%20HB%201207.jpg

#2640 7 years ago

So, my first real good game. All standard. 3 ball. Didn't quite beat into the fire, but it went on forever. Very fun. But had to have my son I was playing against read off what to shoot for. Needs a second monitor bad.

IMG_0752 (resized).JPGIMG_0752 (resized).JPG

#2641 7 years ago

About the speaker "popping" - I've never heard it. Some have speculated that it's a software issue but if so I should have heard it. I bet it's hardware related. Are there others out there who have never heard the popping?

#2642 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

About the speaker "popping" - I've never heard it. Some have speculated that it's a software issue but if so I should have heard it. I bet it's hardware related. Are there others out there who have never heard the popping?

I was playing yesterday and heard sound clipping. I have version 1.90.

#2643 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I have had the poping / crackeling noise since day one. Very noticeable at start up or when game is idle between attract modes. Music sound seems to drown it out. It's the one thing that I am most disappointed with.

#2644 7 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

I have had the poping / crackeling noise since day one. Very noticeable at start up or when game is idle between attract modes. Music sound seems to drown it out. It's the one thing that I am most disappointed with.

Mine frequently has a lot of static too, though strangely not always. Must be something loose in there

#2645 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Mine frequently has a lot of static too, though strangely not always. Must be something loose in there

I've gone thru the connectors and talked with frank and victor. so at this point living with it.

#2646 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I have a very early build and have never heard the sound popping or crackling issues, and have the 1.9 code.
I think its got to be hardware, unless its damaged sound files in the code release? Or bad downloads?

It seems odd.

#2647 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I have a very early build and have never heard the sound popping or crackling issues, and have the 1.9 code.
I think its got to be hardware, unless its damaged sound files in the code release? Or bad downloads?
It seems odd.

im new to Hobbit and didn't follow along from the beginning, what is considered early built? i got 4/20

#2648 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

im new to Hobbit and didn't follow along from the beginning, what is considered early built? i got 4/20

My game was built on day 7 of the initial production run, back in march 2016.
I think your game was built around the same time perhaps.

#2649 7 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Same on mine (build date 11-22-2016) and that is the only pity so far on this otherwise great game.
During play time it's not noticable, but on boot up and in idle times the crackling and static are quite disturbing.

#2650 7 years ago

We've only had our Hobbit setup for a few weeks now and it's very addicting. Been playing it almost every day, learning the rules and strategies. I got grand champion on 2 consecutive games yesterday (highest just over 2 million now), so I'm getting there. My son was surprised that my wife and I don't know the storyline to understand some of what is going on - we never saw the movies, but love the game. For Christmas my son bought us the blue ray DVDs of the trilogy. Very thoughtful, but he unknowing is feeding the addiction. We will be watching the movies tomorrow to get a better understanding. That's strange ... watching a movie trilogy to understand a pinball game better. I guess we ARE weird like my kids claim.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 259.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/53 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.