20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 259.
#2401 7 years ago

Yesterday we moved the pin downstairs in three parts. I was thinking that it will be a very very tricky job to get the heavier-than-usual-widebody down in my quite narrow and curved stairs, but everything went just fine. We had one guy in front and two in the back when carrying the cabinet and playfield. There was only about 25 connectors inside the cabinet that had to be removed and a couple more in the backbox. So FYI, it is doable and quite easy

#2402 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

There were the same problems (delay in production) with the Wizard of Oz. JJ's Pinball did not evolve or learn from their mistakes. They are still delayed in production/assembly with poor communication. Also, from the above posts, I'm worried about their quality control.

I've been pleasantly informed that many of the above problems are a result of delivery trauma/vibration during shipment, not quality control issues of recently produced games.

#2403 7 years ago

Hey guys - anyone else have this happen? I'll have the "Load Arrow" insert and "Kickback" insert lit, and when the ball goes down the outlane, nothing happens. If just kickback is lite, it'll kick back just fine. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

#2404 7 years ago

Is Jen back @ Jersey Jack's from maternity leave? From above recent posts, it sounded like she was, yet when I just emailed her, I got the same automated reply: ...out for maternity leave...contact Katie, etc.

#2405 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hey guys - anyone else have this happen? I'll have the "Load Arrow" insert and "Kickback" insert lit, and when the ball goes down the outlane, nothing happens. If just kickback is lite, it'll kick back just fine. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

The "Load Arrow" light has nothing to do with draining out the outlane. If it's lit it means you'll get a shot at hitting the MAN targets (via a power meter stopped by the ring button) when STARTING the next mode. Saying that, if should not mask out a lit kickback. I've not noticed that on mine. If the kickback is lit it should kick.

#2406 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The "Load Arrow" light has nothing to do with draining out the outlane. If it's lit it means you'll get a shot at hitting the MAN targets (via a power meter stopped by the ring button) when STARTING the next mode. Saying that, if should not mask out a lit kickback. I've not noticed that on mine. If the kickback is lit it should kick.

Ah, gotcha...yeah I've seen the Arrow insert lit in Purple and kickback was also lit (possibly blinking blue/white if I'm remembering it right)...but I don't get the kickback.

#2407 7 years ago

Jen will be back for good soon. She's coming back full speed after Thanksgiving but she's working hard in the interim as always. She can get emails now.

#2408 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

They are indeed numbered on the apron. Mine in number 7 I believe. It doesn't have the "/1500" like the LE does because the limit is unknown.

Mine is #7. Serial # ends in 016.

#2409 7 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Mine is #7. Serial # ends in 016.

Yes, turns out I'm #11

#2410 7 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Yesterday we moved the pin downstairs in three parts. I was thinking that it will be a very very tricky job to get the heavier-than-usual-widebody down in my quite narrow and curved stairs, but everything went just fine. We had one guy in front and two in the back when carrying the cabinet and playfield. There was only about 25 connectors inside the cabinet that had to be removed and a couple more in the backbox. So FYI, it is doable and quite easy

Just did the same.. easy as pie.

IMG_20161106_175619 (resized).jpgIMG_20161106_175619 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161111_182245 (resized).jpgIMG_20161111_182245 (resized).jpg

#2411 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Ah, gotcha...yeah I've seen the Arrow insert lit in Purple and kickback was also lit (possibly blinking blue/white if I'm remembering it right)...but I don't get the kickback.

I have seen the same thing happen as well. Perhaps it is a bug and the kickback should not be lit when that occurs

#2412 7 years ago

I just unboxed my hobbit and I've been trying to iron out the kinks on this machine I had an issue with the ball not going into the hole above Smaug and found this plastic piece covering the hole(see attached pic). It looks like the metal tab broke off from wherever it was supposed to be. Also that start button is stuck when you try to push it in. It looks like the lock bar may need to be adjusted up as the playfield sits too low and is resting on the switch. What are your thoughts?

20161114_130646 (resized).jpg20161114_130646 (resized).jpg

20161114_131327 (resized).jpg20161114_131327 (resized).jpg

#2413 7 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

I just unboxed my hobbit and I've been trying to iron out the kinks on this machine I had an issue with the ball not going into the hole above Smaug and found this plastic piece covering the hole(see attached pic). It looks like the metal tab broke off from wherever it was supposed to be. Also that start button is stuck when you try to push it in. It looks like the lock bar may need to be adjusted up as the playfield sits too low and is resting on the switch. What are your thoughts?

See my comments in the setup, tweaks and adjustments thread you also posted this.

#2414 7 years ago

I got my SE game yesterday and noticed a few differences from the earlier builds. There is no game # on the apron as well it has all the game fixes as well as different lighting in the back box to bring out the colors better. I also had way too much flipper strength off the bat so I had to turn them down to 18.

#2415 7 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

I got my SE game yesterday and noticed a few differences from the earlier builds. There is no game # on the apron as well it has all the game fixes as well as different lighting in the back box to bring out the colors better. I also had way too much flipper strength off the bat so I had to turn them down to 18.

19/18 is where I have mine, too. I actually liked the factory strength, but the ball was flying off the wireform by the book. Doesn't do that at 19/18...and it's still plenty strong.

#2416 7 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Check your paper work bags and see if the sticker is inside.
Other owners above reported that they were inside.

As for flipper strength what angle is your playfield on?

#2417 7 years ago

I'll have to take a look. Mine is set at 7. I was getting the fast balls rolling off the rails as well. I'm having issues with the ball dropping out of the right wireform and spinning up and to the outlane.

1479254174524-671063058 (resized).jpg1479254174524-671063058 (resized).jpg

#2418 7 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

I'll have to take a look. Mine is set at 7. I was getting the fast balls rolling off the rails as well. I'm having issues with the ball dropping out of the right wireform and spinning up and to the outlane.

This has been seen before. The wireform causes a fast ball to spin. Try repositioning the wireform by unscrewing the nut on the outlane post. There is some left/right movement available. I am not sure what direction fixes the issue.

I didn't have it when factory new but I did get the issue after doing some ramp modifications.

In my situation I think I moved that one towards the middle. The ball drop was hitting the middle metal divider pushing it into the left rubber (while ball is spinning anticlockwise). When it touches the rubber it then arc's over the right post.

#2419 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

This has been seen before. The wireform causes a fast ball to spin. Try repositioning the wireform by unscrewing the nut on the outlane post. There is some left/right movement available. I am not sure what direction fixes the issue.
I didn't have it when factory new but I did get the issue after doing some ramp modifications.
In my situation I think I moved that one towards the middle. The ball drop was hitting the middle metal divider pushing it into the left rubber (while ball is spinning anticlockwise). When it touches the rubber it then arc's over the right post.

I think you were going for "counter clockwise"

#2420 7 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Checkout post #17 in the hobbit setup tweaks and adjustment thread.
Ball spinout actually happens on both the left and right wireforms, but mostly the right side.

#2421 7 years ago

Damnit!

IMG_2246 (resized).JPGIMG_2246 (resized).JPG

#2422 7 years ago

Is that the factory sling rubber? I feel your frustration.
JJP uses STC.

I grabbed a spare rubber kit on my last order from JJP . I dont think rubber is a good as it used to be, its always good to have lots of spares.

In a pinch I usually steal from one of my other games.

#2423 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

JJP uses STC.
I grabbed a spare rubber kit on my last order from JJP . I dont think rubber is a good as it used to be, its always good to have lots of spares.

It is factory.

Changed the right sling also while I had the glass off. It was already on my radar as I noticed it fraying at the bottom most post. I also noticed my upper left sling looks just as frayed however I just rotated it so fresh rubber was in contact with the post for now.

Happened to have my old Tron rubbers from when I switched em out for white years ago...

IMG_2249 (resized).JPGIMG_2249 (resized).JPG

#2424 7 years ago

JJP uses STC.

What is STC?

#2425 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

What is STC?

STC is a large pinball rubber o-ring provider.
They have been good, terrible and in-between over the years.

One of the biggest problems in the pinball rubber industry is getting consistent rubber at consistent good quality, that actually lasts and has predictable bounce qualities based on the claimed durometer values.

I think Im going to get rubber from PBR next go-round.
People say its the closest to the good rubber we used to get in the past.

Can anyone comment on this?

#2426 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

It is factory.
Changed the right sling also while I had the glass off. It was already on my radar as I noticed it fraying at the bottom most post. I also noticed my upper left sling looks just as frayed however I just rotated it so fresh rubber was in contact with the post for now.
Happened to have my old Tron rubbers from when I switched em out for white years ago...

I had to put black rubber in the upper sling on my WOZ. It broke way too much. The Black isnt as bouncey but that loction sucks to replace a sling rubber.

So if you want bouncey white sling rubbers from STC: Buy-em' by the box....

#2427 7 years ago

FINALLY! I got the word today that my LE with Rad-Cals was picked up from the factory and on its way to me. I am a preorder from 6/2014. i have played the Hobbit at shows, fundraisers and the JJP factory and have enjoyed watching it continue its development. When I ordered way back I never thought I would be still waiting for it in 2016. We all know that story but looking forward I assume I will own it a lifetime. Upside positive of the long wait for The Hobbit is I discovered The Shadow pin (I convinced my wife we needed something while we wait...but it's never leaving). So my Ian Mckellen pinball machine collection is growing this week! Of course NOW that I know it's on its way.....next few days will seem like all the time I have already waited....An Unexpected Journey for sure....

#2428 7 years ago

i had one break at the pops and blocked the upper lane.

IMG_2613 (resized).JPGIMG_2613 (resized).JPG

IMG_2614 (resized).JPGIMG_2614 (resized).JPG

#2429 7 years ago

I changed the flippers too!

IMG_2631 (resized).JPGIMG_2631 (resized).JPG

#2430 7 years ago

Are those aluminum flippers?

#2431 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Are those aluminum flippers?

GOLD!

#2432 7 years ago

I've got gold flips on my Iron Man...I think I should put some on Hobbit, too!

#2433 7 years ago
Quoted from RedLeaderFive:

(I convinced my wife we needed something while we wait...but it's never leaving).

Same thing happened to me while I was waiting. I got a used IM and a ACDC Prem while waiting. My Hobbit is in-route someplace too ... no call from the shipping company yet. I feel your excitement and anticipation.

#2434 7 years ago

Heads up, looks like another code update is coming soon, possibly next week. Code update is mainly for adding Pindemption to TH but it's also supposed to contain bug fixes and some other minor things.

Here's my wish list for things I would like to see added to the game with future updates

1. Super wizard mode for completing everything (rumored to be coming, Keith also mentioned it long ago)
2. More Smaug callouts and use of the Smaug toy in book modes, also fire lighting affect on playfield when he breathes fire
3. Award for completing the sets of man, elf, and dwarf book modes. Example, completing all man book modes awards say a multiplier, multiball, points, etc.
4. Some type of status screen that shows total game progress similar to the ones in WOZ.

#2435 7 years ago

I had to put black rubber in the upper sling on my WOZ. It broke way too much. The Black isnt as bouncey but that loction sucks to replace a sling rubber.
So if you want bouncey white sling rubbers from STC: Buy-em' by the box....

I'm actually enjoying the action on my slings thus far...seems like less lazy bounces.

#2436 7 years ago

I got to barrel escape today. Man what a rush tbis game is. What a masterpiece by Keith Johnson. The thought that went into the three multi ball mini wizard modes alone are amazing!

Would like to get a better intro to barrel escape like into the fire has. Into the fire intro gets me so pumped up and ready for the mode. Thoughts?

#2437 7 years ago

Turn down the coil power on your woz upper sling

#2438 7 years ago

In future updates I'd really like to see a few things:
- Lockout of Smaug multi ball locks during Beast Frenzy (just drop the ramp diverter).
- Coin door ball save - very important on long balltime games.
- After wizard mode played (or completed) leave the play field light for that wizard mode lit.

#2439 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Turn down the coil power on your woz upper sling

I like the upper sling to be able to bounce up through the lanes a bit to play the bounce/lane change game for bonuses.
I have it just right for me as it doesnt stay up there too long, just long enough to get a bonus multiplier once in awhile.

WOZ comes with black rubber through-out but has white for the upper sling.

I might just re-do it all and go with all white on my WOZ as others have done. It looks nice but gets dirty fast.

Changing it to a black rubber on the upper sling is a little less bouncy but lasts a lot longer.

I do like the bouncy feel of white rubber, its amazing on my TH and ToM.

#2440 7 years ago

I cannot reach the dwarf-targets with my shooter rod anymore. To me the shooter rod seems to be hitting the ball in the middle.

Could it be that the spring should be changed? If so, which shooter spring would you recommend?

Also the left bumber's rubber broke yesterday, seems like the rubbers might not be of the best quality...

#2441 7 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Could it be that the spring should be changed?

You could remove your spring, stretch it out a couple times, and put back in. It will be stronger.

LTG : )

#2442 7 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I cannot reach the dwarf-targets with my shooter rod anymore. To me the shooter rod seems to be hitting the ball in the middle.
Could it be that the spring should be changed? If so, which shooter spring would you recommend?
Also the left bumber's rubber broke yesterday, seems like the rubbers might not be of the best quality...

I put a couple washers on the inside of the cabinet side of the shooter rod, I also cut the spring on the outside of the cabinet shooter rod a bit shorter. This seems to have allowed the shooter to stick out a bit further, and I can reliably make all of the dwarf targets now. It wasn't able to do that out of the box.

#2443 7 years ago

My shooter was hitting the auto launch bracket and the ball would barely trickle out. I couldn't bend the bracket enough to let it get through so I shimmed the shooter housing so the rod was pointed down a bit and I changed the spring. Works as it should now.

#2444 7 years ago

Smaug 314 arrived today
set it up enough to turn it on and play running 1.31
will tweek it tomorrow
very tired
it is very heavy and I am very weak

#2445 7 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

My shooter was hitting the auto launch bracket and the ball would barely trickle out. I couldn't bend the bracket enough to let it get through so I shimmed the shooter housing so the rod was pointed down a bit and I changed the spring. Works as it should now.

I had the same thing after doing some of the fix kits however I found a very simple no mod fix.

Turns out that there is the potential for a little bit of movement in the playfield when it sits in the lock down bracket when the lock down bar is not in place.

All I do before putting the glass on now is pull on the plunger and see it if touches the launch bracket. If it does it means I dropped the playfield in too far to the left. A relift it and center it and its all fixed. This movement never seems to occur during normal gameplay however just when i've lifted the playfield.

#2446 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Heads up, looks like another code update is coming soon, possibly next week. Code update is mainly for adding Pindemption to TH but it's also supposed to contain bug fixes and some other minor things.
Here's my wish list for things I would like to see added to the game with future updates
1. Super wizard mode for completing everything (rumored to be coming, Keith also mentioned it long ago)
2. More Smaug callouts and use of the Smaug toy in book modes, also fire lighting affect on playfield when he breathes fire
3. Award for completing the sets of man, elf, and dwarf book modes. Example, completing all man book modes awards say a multiplier, multiball, points, etc.
4. Some type of status screen that shows total game progress similar to the ones in WOZ.

1. Its coming. I think Keith something like, finish Smaug, play all modes, and finish all 3 wizard modes. Wizard modes will also have save states
2. David Theil said there might not be more call out as the other stuff he says is unrelated to the pin
3. ...
4. I believe Keith said the whole purpose of the layout of the screen is that there will be no status screen. No if they where to add a super wizard mode with say, 6 qualifiers, they will have to somehow fit it on the screen.

#2447 7 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I put a green spring in and all is well

#2448 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I had the same thing after doing some of the fix kits however I found a very simple no mod fix.
Turns out that there is the potential for a little bit of movement in the playfield when it sits in the lock down bracket when the lock down bar is not in place.
All I do before putting the glass on now is pull on the plunger and see it if touches the launch bracket. If it does it means I dropped the playfield in too far to the left. A relift it and center it and its all fixed. This movement never seems to occur during normal gameplay however just when i've lifted the playfield.

The Lock-down bar receiver is installed slightly to the right.
Loosen the 4 attachment screws to it and possibly force it to the left a bit. A 1/16" may be enough to keep it out of trouble.
Other than that you would have to fill the holes and move it 1/8" to the left for a permanent solution.

#2449 7 years ago

I FINALLY officially joined the club and received my TH LE. Debating waiting a week (or two ) for my Escalera or just struggle with my son to get it downstairs. Was doing some remodeling while thinking about it, and stepped on a 12p nail with all my weight. Blood came gushing out. Wrapped it up with pressure and elevating it currently. Guess I know which decision I'll go with.

My wife was REAL surprised and happy that we got the TH. Her favorite along with our WOZ. Whew ... glad that went that way.

Now to eat and go to urgent care. I would rather setup & play my new TH ... Argh!

#2450 7 years ago

Ouch. Hope you get well soon! Smart move waiting for the Escalara, however it will be a hard wait. Sounds like you have a 'keeper' wife. Extra bonus!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
West Bloomfield Township, MI
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 259.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/49 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.