20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,940 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 259.
#2351 7 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Thank - I see the s/n stickers there but not the LE #?

Smaug was not an "LE". It was a "SE". I don't "think" they have a SE game # listed on them. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. There usually is a game production number on it on the playfield front edge or under the apron.

#2352 7 years ago

That is correct. Smaug is not a "limited" number run, it's just a "special" edition. They aren't limited to 500 units so they don't number them.

#2353 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

That is correct. Smaug is not a "limited" number run, it's just a "special" edition. They aren't limited to 500 units so they don't number them.

My Smaug says #51 on the shipping box and on the apron. Limited or not, they are indeed numbered.

#2354 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Smaug was not an "LE". It was a "SE". I don't "think" they have a SE game # listed on them. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. There usually is a game production number on it on the playfield front edge or under the apron.

They are indeed numbered on the apron. Mine in number 7 I believe. It doesn't have the "/1500" like the LE does because the limit is unknown.

#2355 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

They ARE numbered and were limited to what was ordered by the end of 2015.

#2356 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

They are indeed numbered on the apron. Mine in number 7 I believe. It doesn't have the "/1500" like the LE does because the limit is unknown.

Ok, that's good to know. I think that they had to be ordered by the end of 2013 though. I could not get a Smaug SE (JJP direct) when I ordered mine a little over a year ago. Before they went into production they knew how many would be built - if they stuck to that. They could have put that "out of" number down. That's ok, not "real" important to know that. I wonder if they started the "Black Arrow" version because they saw that they would run out of LE numbers in the near future.

#2357 7 years ago

That's wrong Smaug is numbered it's on the lower left corner of the apron - there is a picture on my hobbit for sale post if your interested in seeing ii.

#2359 7 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

Loving the game otherwise. It is so different they anything I own or have owned. Refreshing!!

It's raining Hobbits in SoCal! I picked one up last nite! I only had time to play a few games and it's kinda overwhelming how much is going on...but hopefully it'll gel and feel organic once I figure out what's what.

image.jpegimage.jpeg
image.jpegimage.jpeg
image.jpegimage.jpeg
image.jpegimage.jpeg
image.jpegimage.jpeg

#2360 7 years ago

I stand corrected!

#2361 7 years ago
Quoted from tron1969:

That's wrong Smaug is numbered it's on the lower left corner of the apron - there is a picture on my hobbit for sale post if your interested in seeing ii.

Mine is not on the apron, but there was a sticker along with my invoice that looks just like what is on your apron. Maybe they forgot to stick it on mine so they just threw it in with the invoice.

#2362 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Ok, that's good to know. I think that they had to be ordered by the end of 2013 though. I could not get a Smaug SE (JJP direct) when I ordered mine a little over a year ago. Before they went into production they knew how many would be built - if they stuck to that. They could have put that "out of" number down. That's ok, not "real" important to know that. I wonder if they started the "Black Arrow" version because they saw that they would run out of LE numbers in the near future.

Oh yeah...2013 (or 2014?) I guess.

#2363 7 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Mine is not on the apron, but there was a sticker along with my invoice that looks just like what is on your apron. Maybe they forgot to stick it on mine so they just threw it in with the invoice.

Log a support request asking about it.

If it was an LE or an SE there should have been a sticker on the left of the apron regardless.

#2364 7 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Yep my apron is empty in that area as well....my box had a small numbered sticker and its numbered on the deed but nowhere on the machine itself. I'll reach out to JJP tomorrow...

#2365 7 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Yep my apron is empty in that area as well....my box had a small numbered sticker and its numbered on the deed but nowhere on the machine itself. I'll reach out to JJP tomorrow...

Did you pull out the packing slip on the outside of the box? I am pretty sure that is where my numbered sticker was (the sticker looks just like what is on other folks apron).

#2366 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I stand corrected!

on the SE the game # does not reflect the sequence it was made they are requested or assigned by JJP randomly. the serial number reflects consecutive build numbers. mine ends in 318 but game is numbered 360 .
they just don't say how many SE's are made. I asked jack and he said about 850 ish. I guess only Time will tell.

#2367 7 years ago

Mine is numbered on the Apron as Smaug game # 1111

#2368 7 years ago

I wonder if thats a selected number or if they made that many?

#2369 7 years ago

Mine is #718 on the apron. Opened a ticket for the update kit on Sunday, confirmed it shipped today.

#2370 7 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

I wonder if thats a selected number or if they made that many?

Its just a selected number. Smaug owners got to choose them so they are potentially non-sequential.

If you go back to some of the old hobbit threads you can find details on it but originally you woz owners got first dibs on getting the same numbered hobbit.

#2371 7 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

Mine is numbered on the Apron as Smaug game # 1111

what is the serial # just the last 3 digits i am sure it doesn't match and its most likely 850 or less (last three)
example: 08713300

#2372 7 years ago

Will the Smaug Version be more valuable than the LE in the future?

#2373 7 years ago

So I’m having an odd issue with my Hobbit I’m hoping someone could help with. I played a single game today without an issue. When I started a second game, a message read “pinball missing”. After searching over the playfield for a missing ball (and not finding one) I turned the game off and restarted. This time, most if not all playfield lighting was dark and when I pressed the start button, a ball immediately launched, random awards were given (skill shot, dwarfs, etc.), the drop targets fired randomly, etc. The test mode is indicating Ball Trough Jam Switch #006. I removed the balls, dropped them back down the center and the same problem persists. Any ideas? Also, when it test modes I’m getting flashing, clicking and odd patterns on the screen. Ugh.

#2374 7 years ago

First thing - 5 balls in the ball trough ? Then please go into Tests - Switches - Matrixed, see if anything is stuck closed.

LTG : )

#2375 7 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply, LTG. Honestly, I don't know. When I enter the test screen the boxes flash, click and flash and out. Return six reads 6 Ball trough jam. Could it be some strange opto issue?

#2376 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Could it be some strange opto issue?

You can look at page C-80 in the manual and follow opto wiring to boards and be sure all are plugged in tight.

5 balls in the ball trough ?

#2377 7 years ago

Ok, thanks. Will do. Yes - there are five balls in the trough.

#2378 7 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Did you pull out the packing slip on the outside of the box? I am pretty sure that is where my numbered sticker was (the sticker looks just like what is on other folks apron).

I emailed them and Jen said to check that as well, so I'm going to double check when I get home tonight and will post an update here later to confirm. I'm guessing it's there and I just missed it.

#2379 7 years ago
Quoted from finman2000:

No

#2380 7 years ago

Maybe I'm jumping the gun since it hasn't even been a week...but now that I've had a ton of play on the game and have gotten a hang of it and the rules - I really have to say, I LOVE this game! The presentation, choreography, rules, gameplay and sound is really fantastic...and the music is just delicious. I bought it on a whim, mostly out of the curiosity of wanting to have a JJP pin to jam on at home...figured I'd play it for a few months and then move on - but I'm already feeling like this is a keeper for me - which is surprising considering I wasn't a fan of the layout or toys....but once you play it and really get to know it - man, Keith really did it again, just like LOTR...and used every nook and cranny of this playfield in clever and fun ways...he's made a deceptively 'whatever' playfield just pop with life and fun.

Quoted from finman2000:

It's definitely more rare, and it has a cool attract animation that's only on the Smaug Edition. I just had a choice between the two, and I went with Smaug as he was my favorite part of the trilogy. Others have told me they like the LE more. At the moment they seem about equal in value.

#2381 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Maybe I'm jumping the gun since it hasn't even been a week...but now that I've had a ton of play on the game and have gotten a hang of it and the rules - I really have to say, I LOVE this game! The presentation, choreography, rules, gameplay and sound is really fantastic...and the music is just delicious. I bought it on a whim, mostly out of the curiosity of wanting to have a JJP pin to jam on at home...figured I'd play it for a few months and then move on - but I'm already feeling like this is a keeper for me - which is surprising considering I wasn't a fan of the layout or toys....but once you play it and really get to know it - man, Keith really did it again, just like LOTR...and used every nook and cranny of this playfield in clever and fun ways...he's made a deceptively 'whatever' playfield just pop with life and fun.

It's definitely more rare, and it has a cool attract animation that's only on the Smaug Edition. I just had a choice between the two, and I went with Smaug as he was my favorite part of the trilogy. Others have told me they like the LE more. At the moment they seem about equal in value.

Congrats on the new pin addition, glad to hear you are liking the game!

Keith sure knows how to work a playfield in interesting and unique ways. There's some good pinball programmers out there but I think Keith pulls off story based rulesets that make you feel like you are on a quest the best.

I would still expect another update (or a few) that will complete / polish Battle of the Five Armies and add a final super wizard mode.

#2382 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I agree with your opinions

The sounds are used to great effect in this game. My favorite so far is when you are playing into the Fire and when you start making consecutive blue shots the music raises an octave every hit. That part gives me chills!

#2383 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Help me figure this game out., I have no idea what I am doing lol..

#2384 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I agree with your opinions
The sounds are used to great effect in this game. My favorite so far is when you are playing into the Fire and when you start making consecutive blue shots the music raises an octave every hit. That part gives me chills!

I like how there are subtle variations of the main movie theme music (the music that's also in LOTR). I'm not sure if it changes based on what modes are lit or based on progress - but it's really cool...reminds of how Whitewater's music changes and builds as the game progresses

#2385 7 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

Help me figure this game out., I have no idea what I am doing lol..

Current version of the rulesheet:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet/page/3#post-3421626

#2386 7 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

I emailed them and Jen said to check that as well, so I'm going to double check when I get home tonight and will post an update here later to confirm. I'm guessing it's there and I just missed it.

Did find the sticker with the number for the apron...my wife had opened that envelope on the outside of the box when it was delivered and I'd not seen it. The game is great so far, but something more substantial than a sticker would've been nice though lol....

#2387 7 years ago

Anyone have advice on how to solder this puppy back on? It's for the "O" in "LOCK" and it's behind a huge mass of wires (what isn't in the Hobbit). I can hardly get in there and push it in place. Assuming I do find a way to hold it in place, I worry that if I go in with a soldering iron and slip it will melt half the wiring in the machine in the process. Suggestions?

O In LOCK (resized).jpgO In LOCK (resized).jpg

#2388 7 years ago
Quoted from fitzpatricksrus:

I worry that if I go in with a soldering iron and slip it will melt half the wiring in the machine in the process. Suggestions?

Remove the two screws holding the switch and move away from the wires as best you can.

I don't know your skill level, if you need it, Youtube is littered with short videos on how to flow solder.

And the LED/switch assembly, push it harder into the start button holder. They snap in very hard and pull out very hard.

#2389 7 years ago

Does anyone have inserts that are NOT all shattered looking?

#2390 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Does anyone have inserts that are NOT all shattered looking?

Nope

#2391 7 years ago
Quoted from fitzpatricksrus:

Anyone have advice on how to solder this puppy back on? It's for the "O" in "LOCK" and it's behind a huge mass of wires (what isn't in the Hobbit). I can hardly get in there and push it in place. Assuming I do find a way to hold it in place, I worry that if I go in with a soldering iron and slip it will melt half the wiring in the machine in the process. Suggestions?

You need one of these

IMG_2647 (resized).JPGIMG_2647 (resized).JPG

#2392 7 years ago

These work better because they can "lock".

DSCF0001 (resized).JPGDSCF0001 (resized).JPG

#2393 7 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

These work better because they can "lock".

I have many of these and I found that I don't like the fact these make impressions in the wire sheathing when you heat the wires up to solder them.

#2394 7 years ago
Quoted from madscientist101:

I am still waiting for my Smaug LE that I ordered well over a year ago. I will never order direct from JJ again as I could of got one from a distributor that has them in stock a while ago. And I hear they are making the black arrows now FBS! JJ should fulfill customers orders that have paid in full. When I emailed them I didn't even get a solid answer to when I will receive my game. "Just the game will be on the next list submitted to production" "I will let you know when your game is closer to shipping" Nice just keep using my money to develop lame games like dialed in that makes me cringe. Regardless to how well it plays the art looks terrible and would devalue my lineup on its sheer presence.

I ordered my LE Hobbit 3 years ago direct from JJ (ordered 12/3013) and still have not received it. Is anybody else still waiting after 3 years? Is Jen still on maternity leave? Katie does not have the best communication skills. In July, Jen emailed me that my game was about to be submitted for production and then she went on maternity leave. Then in September, after inquiry, Katie said: We're had a bit of delay waiting on toys from our vender. We're expecting them next week. We will do our best to get your game out to you as soon as we possibly can." Since then, no response!

#2395 7 years ago

I can't imagine waiting that long. Distros have them in stock ready to ship. Ordered an LE last week, and it arrived Tuesday.

#2396 7 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

I can't imagine waiting that long. Distros have them in stock ready to ship. Ordered an LE last week, and it arrived Tuesday.

I know right? I'd be annoyed. I ordered mine beginning of August and recieved it less than 2 weeks later.

#2397 7 years ago

I received my Hobbit this week after a 3+ year wait. I posted this in another Hobbit thread. Communication is terrible.

#2398 7 years ago

I was notified by Katie roughly Oct. 1 that my Hobbit LE was ready to ship. It was a direct order with JJP. The original pre-order date was Dec. 13, 2012. So your pre-order date was approximately a whole year after mine. That might offer some insight into why you have not received your game yet. My "born on" date was like August 26 or 28. It took a whole month to ship my game? I think it was caught up in a batch of games that needed Smaug head assemblies. There was a problem with these. All I can say is hang in there...it won't be long.

#2399 7 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Distributors don't want to take direct sales away from JJP ... I inquired about switching to get one right away and two distributors would not do it. I was told to hang in there. I understand their stance but ... it is hard to though, knowing others can just walk up a buy one.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Better, honest communication with realistic target dates would help. Stuff happens, but good communication is key. Not angry, just getting impatient.

#2400 7 years ago

There were the same problems (delay in production) with the Wizard of Oz. JJ's Pinball did not evolve or learn from their mistakes. They are still delayed in production/assembly with poor communication. Also, from the above posts, I'm worried about their quality control.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
There are 12,940 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 259.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/48 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.