20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 259.
#2251 7 years ago

Im using the hanson rivet clincher:

http://www.erivet.com/storefront_product_detail.cfm?itemnbr=HT-174

I think its the same exact tool for about $25+shipping, also you can get the nickel plated rivets and backing washers there too but its a hassel finding the exact ones you need.

Hanson is affordable and has an amazing array of rivets all on one site.

Maybe someone can chime in with the exact part numbers for rivets and washers from the hanson site?

#2252 7 years ago

Hi Hobbit owners! I have a developing problem and wanted some input.

Error report shows goblin switch problem. I do the typical diagnosis. Goblin still pops up but you can't hit him down. I find a broken wire at the switch (I think it's to the switch. I didn't have tools to disassemble).

Anyway, it seems pretty clear to me that the part that Jjp added to prevent the ball from getting trapped in the beast mech (I have a newer one... factory installed) is cutting the wire! I looked at all the other ones and it really looks like a matter of time before it's going to happen to all of them. The wires are zip-tied to the moving part of the mech and it comes up enough to smash the wires against the glowing added-in part (I don't know what it's called).

Can some others look to see if theirs is like that (especially new owners who had these parts factory installed? For those who added in the part, did you reroute the wires?

#2253 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Hi Hobbit owners! I have a developing problem and wanted some input.
Error report shows goblin switch problem. I do the typical diagnosis. Goblin still pops up but you can't hit him down. I find a broken wire at the switch (I think it's to the switch. I didn't have tools to disassemble).
Anyway, it seems pretty clear to me that the part that Jjp added to prevent the ball from getting trapped in the beast mech (I have a newer one... factory installed) is cutting the wire! I looked at all the other ones and it really looks like a matter of time before it's going to happen to all of them. The wires are zip-tied to the moving part of the mech and it comes up enough to smash the wires against the glowing added-in part (I don't know what it's called).
Can some others look to see if theirs is like that (especially new owners who had these parts factory installed? For those who added in the part, did you reroute the wires?

sometimes wires fall into mech area's during shipping.

repair the broken wire and make sure its attached securely, its not too hard.

gather any wires that are in danger of hitting a mech.

secure them with nylon ties away from the mech.

#2254 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

sometimes wires fall into mech area's during shipping.
repair the broken wire and make sure its attached securely, its not too hard.
gather any wires that are in danger of hitting a mech.
secure them with nylon ties away from the mech.

I will definitely do that. But I'll have to clip some factory zips to do it. They're secured there.

#2255 7 years ago

I just got the cliffy protectors for the hobbit - I seem to recal someone posting about the process to install them, but can't find the post. Anyone else able to find it?

#2256 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I just got the cliffy protectors for the hobbit - I seem to recal someone posting about the process to install them, but can't find the post. Anyone else able to find it?

I posted it. Email or call if you need any help.

http://purcellvillepinball.com/HobbitLE2016.html#Cliffy

Michael

#2257 7 years ago

I have 1.9 code. I was playing tonight (and I noticed this before on 1.31 as well). There is a mode that says "knock down drop targets to find the correct one." or something similar. But when the mode starts, all drop targets are automatically dropped and I am not sure what I am shooting for.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks
Michael

#2258 7 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I posted it. Email or call if you need any help.
http://purcellvillepinball.com/HobbitLE2016.html#Cliffy
Michael

I used your guide to install my Cliffy's this past weekend.
It was very helpful. Thanks a ton for making this tutorial available.

#2259 7 years ago

So, nobody seemed alarmed about my beast mech breakdown, but I think there is a serious design flaw and I think it will affect many people. Here are some pics. You
Should probably all look to see if this is happening. It definitely wasn't from wires shifting during shipping. They looked to be zip tied right into this spot. And the mech definitely smashes the wires into the new glowing bar that prevents the ball trap.

Not trying to stir the pot. Still love my hobbit, but I think you should all look. It would be helpful to me if someone posted a pic of where their wires are routed because I'm not sure there's a way to avoid this. IMG_0115 (resized).JPGIMG_0115 (resized).JPGIMG_0115 (resized).JPGIMG_0115 (resized).JPG

IMG_0114 (resized).JPGIMG_0114 (resized).JPG

IMG_0116 (resized).JPGIMG_0116 (resized).JPG

#2260 7 years ago

Can anyone tell me when the diverter comes down to make the ramp a loop?

#2261 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

So, nobody seemed alarmed about my beast mech breakdown, but I think there is a serious design flaw and I think it will affect many people. Here are some pics. You
Should probably all look to see if this is happening. It definitely wasn't from wires shifting during shipping. They looked to be zip tied right into this spot. And the mech definitely smashes the wires into the new glowing bar that prevents the ball trap.
Not trying to stir the pot. Still love my hobbit, but I think you should all look. It would be helpful to me if someone posted a pic of where their wires are routed because I'm not sure there's a way to avoid this.

I would definitely check the routing of the wores and also check the stops on the mechs.
The stops should keep the wires from getting hit, or the wires are not routed correctly on your game.
I would ask Lloyd for some input on this.

#2262 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Not trying to stir the pot. Still love my hobbit, but I think you should all look. It would be helpful to me if someone posted a pic of where their wires are routed because I'm not sure there's a way to avoid this.

Yeah that sucks. I would say thank goodness it was that side of the wiring! I will have to check mine just in case.

#2263 7 years ago
Quoted from tron1969:

Only time I know for sure is in the Moon Runes mode.

#2264 7 years ago
Quoted from tron1969:

Moon Runes mode and during the 2nd stage of the Barrel Escape Arkenstone mode.

#2265 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Can I ask what the build date of your game is?

#2266 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Moon Runes mode and during the 2nd stage of the Barrel Escape Arkenstone mode.

I think it would be way cool if the diverter slammed down during beast frenzy to keep from mixing smug multiball with it.
I think this is an easy fix and would benefit the game, plus get more action out of the device.

#2267 7 years ago

Hobbit owners, I'm not one of you but I'm so in love with this machine that I've been making semi-regular 60 mile round trips to play it!

I have some questions that I hope yawl might be able to answer for me.

* Is the mystery target the only way to increase your bonus multiplier?

* Do you continue to get the Gollum Ball Save event even after you've successfully hit the little sliver on the power meter? (btw if you've hit the sliver, you are a master)

* How do you know if you've successfully backstabbed? I should clarify: successfully backstabbed a target that won't pop up. Is that even possible? I can't get past the Into the Fire part where you have to bash the Warg, because it doesn't pop up!

* Do the pop ups ever somehow fix themselves? It seems that sometimes the pop ups work, other times they don't, and I'm almost positive the game hasn't been serviced between my frequent visits.

* What's your highest ring bonus? Mine is 2900.

#2268 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Hobbit owners, I'm not one of you but I'm so in love with this machine that I've been making semi-regular 60 mile round trips to play it!
* Is the mystery target the only way to increase your bonus multiplier?
* Do you continue to get the Gollum Ball Save event even after you've successfully hit the little sliver on the power meter? (btw if you've hit the sliver, you are a master)
* How do you know if you've successfully backstabbed? I should clarify: successfully backstabbed a target that won't pop up. Is that even possible? I can't get past the Into the Fire part where you have to bash the Warg, because it doesn't pop up!
* Do the pop ups ever somehow fix themselves? It seems that sometimes the pop ups work, other times they don't, and I'm almost positive the game hasn't been serviced between my frequent visits.
* What's your highest ring bonus? Mine is 2900.

This is an owners thread.
But in the case of a game that needs service, I would contact the operator and express your concerns, or simply turn off the game when you see it, if its broken, to prevent any more damege to it.
Any time I play a broken game on location, I simply turn it off. This saves the game and keeps people from wasting their money on it.
A good operator would do the same.

#2269 7 years ago

This is an owners thread.

not sure that was necessary...

But in the case of a game that needs service, I would contact the operator and express your concerns, or simply turn off the game when you see it, if its broken, to prevent any more damege to it.
Any time I play a broken game on location, I simply turn it off. This saves the game and keeps people from wasting their money on it.
A good operator would do the same.

Here's the thing. I've contacted the bowling alley to find out who the operator was. After talking to a bunch of people who really didn't want to be bothered, I got through to one helpful person who said who the operator was.

Problem is, that operator has been out of business for half a decade.

Also, this is the one and only place on route in southern california with a Hobbit. Even though the game isn't at 100%, it's still really fun to play in its current state. And whoever does operate the machine is getting some sweet cash drop action off of me!

#2270 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I'd also like info about a successful backstab. I press it EVERY time but I have no idea if im supposed to be doing something else afterwards or something else specific.

If the pop up's aren't coming up then something is definitely broken as pinballinreno said. Could be a coil, the wiring (can get caught in the up/down mech), entire lift mech getting wedged if it has had the ball stopper fix installed (i used a metal washer to stop this from ever occuring, pics a few pages back).

#2271 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

Can I ask what the build date of your game is?

August-September. I don't have access to it right now. Very recent.

#2272 7 years ago

Just got to battle of five armies. Pretty frickin cool. New GC claiming it back from my neighbor finally. My book went black to, so it's an obvious software issue. This game is just a blast.

#2273 7 years ago

I think he looks cool like an ork commander !
Vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

#2274 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

#2275 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

So, nobody seemed alarmed about my beast mech breakdown, but I think there is a serious design flaw and I think it will affect many people.

I agree. Most likely every machine if the wires are held by the same method.

In looking at my mech's again while I was doing the flap fix I noticed that every single one of them had a degree of cuts through the wire insulation (red box in the pic below).

wires starting to get cutwires starting to get cut

I had actually stopped it from occurring accidentally some time ago by using a metal washer to stop the mech from becoming jammed due to the other beast fix.

By adding the washer it actually makes a gap into which the wire has somewhere to safely sit.

Pic below has the mech in the fully up position (green box) showing how the washer creates the gap (red box).

unrelated washer saves the dayunrelated washer saves the day

#2276 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I agree. Most likely every machine if the wires are held by the same method.
In looking at my mech's again while I was doing the flap fix I noticed that every single one of them had a degree of cuts through the wire insulation (red box in the pic below).

I had actually stopped it from occurring accidentally some time ago by using a metal washer to stop the mech from becoming jammed due to the other beast fix.
By adding the washer it actually makes a gap into which the wire has somewhere to safely sit.
Pic below has the mech in the fully up position (green box) showing how the washer creates the gap (red box).

I just checked mine and none of my wires are even remotely close to being hit when the mechs raise and lower. I am having a hard time figuring out what the wires are being cut on.

Here is a video I just took of me actuating the mech:

Nothing contacts the wires.

#2277 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I'd also like info about a successful backstab. I press it EVERY time but I have no idea if im supposed to be doing something else afterwards or something else specific.
If the pop up's aren't coming up then something is definitely broken as pinballinreno said. Could be a coil, the wiring (can get caught in the up/down mech), entire lift mech getting wedged if it has had the ball stopper fix installed (i used a metal washer to stop this from ever occuring, pics a few pages back).

Just to clarify how "backstab" works as far as I know: When you press the ring button to "attempt backstab" you have to shoot the ramp. The diverter will come done (similar to Barrel Escape and Moon Runes as mentioned here as well) and the ball is coming back down to hit the beast in the back. I have no idea if this gives you extra points or anything...

#2278 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

You are missing the beast fix kit. When the kit is installed it puts a large piece of plastic in the point, so perhaps that is the difference?

I'd have to take another photo from a different angle when the pf is up again to see if the plastic wedge can connect. From memory it can, which was why I thought the washer was a good idea.

Your pin was an early build that was shipped prior to the beast fix being done in the factory?

Perhaps this is the difference?Perhaps this is the difference?

#2279 7 years ago

To anyone that has done the ramp flap fix, are you finding you are getting massive numbers of ramp airballs now?

Every game I get 2-3 airballs which throw the ball in all sorts of weird places.

I'll have to see if they were the early flipper hit ones. ie. left flipper up left ramp.\

edit : seems as if this is normal when you have normal ramp flaps

#2280 7 years ago

How come there are two Hobbit clubs? Maybe they should be merged, no?

#2281 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

To anyone that has done the ramp flap fix, are you finding you are getting massive numbers of ramp airballs now?
Every game I get 2-3 airballs which throw the ball in all sorts of weird places.
I'll have to see if they were the early flipper hit ones. ie. left flipper up left ramp.\

Maybe lower the flipper setting a notch or 2 and report back.

#2282 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

You are missing the beast fix kit. When the kit is installed it puts a large piece of plastic in the point, so perhaps that is the difference?
I'd have to take another photo from a different angle when the pf is up again to see if the plastic wedge can connect. From memory it can, which was why I thought the washer was a good idea.
Your pin was an early build that was shipped prior to the beast fix being done in the factory?

You are exactly right, I forgot about the beast fix kit. I still haven't received mine yet.

My game was an early March build.

#2283 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I have been getting airballs off the left ramp since the code update. Not blaming it directly, it could just be a coincidence.

#2284 7 years ago

Maybe lower the flipper setting a notch or 2 and report back.

You mean flipper strength?

#2286 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

How come there are two Hobbit clubs? Maybe they should be merged, no?

YES PLEASE.

#2287 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

No airballs here with new flaps. Factory installed

#2288 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I just checked mine and none of my wires are even remotely close to being hit when the mechs raise and lower. I am having a hard time figuring out what the wires are being cut on.
Here is a video I just took of me actuating the mech:
» YouTube video

It is definitely the added plastic ball trap protectors that pinch the wires. I like the washer fix idea. Thanks for the heads up.

#2289 7 years ago

Laseriffic topper installed!

IMG_3581 (resized).JPGIMG_3581 (resized).JPG

#2290 7 years ago

Hey everyone, should my start game button be illuminated? It's not, which seems unusual.....

#2291 7 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

Hey everyone, should my start game button be illuminated? It's not, which seems unusual.....

yeah should be lit up when in free play. I'd expect the same when a credit is added if using a coin mech but I dont have a coin mech in mine one so I can't say for sure on that one

#2292 7 years ago

Hello

Im thinking of buying a hobbit pinball and is the third movie on it now with a update ? Last i checked it was not on it and slot of people wanted the last battle in to the game ?

Cheers

#2293 7 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

I had an issue where my switch fell out of the button (I don't recall if the light is part of this assembly or not.)
Might try seeing if this is what happened to your button. It just snaps back in place. It took me a bit to figure this out. There isn't a keeper ring or anything else. Just holds itself where it belongs when inserted properly.

#2294 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

No airballs after ramp fix installed at home.

#2295 7 years ago
Quoted from TouchingEvil:

Hello
I'm thinking of buying a hobbit pinball and is the third movie on it now with a update ? Last i checked it was not on it and slot of people wanted the last battle in to the game ?
Cheers

It was just a mini wizard mode. It was added in the last firmware update.

Everything else has had 3rd movie elements the entire way through. All the other normal modes included the 3rd movie sections throughout.

#2296 7 years ago

I've owned my game 1 month (with some downtime to fix the Warg popup and an EOS switch). I played 59 games. That is about $140 per game; 305 balls (about $27 a ball); average ball time 130 seconds ($0.21 a second for play time). I need to play about 8,100 or so games to bring the cost down to $1 a game.

What does Chase Balls mean? I have 0 of them.

My "Ball Saved" count is 0. Is this the number of times I hit the target in the right outlane and then save the ball? Is it the number of times I lost the ball within the 10 second grace period I added? If so, then this is not recording correctly. Not really an issue but wondering what it is counting.

Thanks
Michael

IMG_6774 (resized).jpgIMG_6774 (resized).jpg

#2297 7 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I've owned my game 1 month (with some downtime to fix the Warg popup and an EOS switch). I played 59 games. That is about $140 per game; 305 balls (about $27 a ball); average ball time 130 seconds ($0.21 a second for play time). I need to play about 8,100 or so games to bring the cost down to $1 a game.
My "Ball Saved" count is 0. Is this the number of times I hit the target in the right outlane and then save the ball? Is it the number of times I lost the ball within the 10 second grace period I added? If so, then this is not recording correctly. Not really an issue but wondering what it is counting.
Thanks
Michael

You are assuming the game has zero value after you play 8100 games. Probably not a good assumption.

#2298 7 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

If that's the way you look at it then why even own pins at all? Seems like a depressing way to go about it to me.

#2299 7 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

From what I understand, a Chase Ball is an extra ball that you get so you can knock loose a stuck ball.

#2300 7 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I've owned my game 1 month (with some downtime to fix the Warg popup and an EOS switch). I played 59 games. That is about $140 per game...

Besides the two questions I asked,
I was joking. I am a math geek (which may actually be the depressing part). I think in calculations and statistics.

For example, when I golf why would I want a hole in one when I can hit the ball 7 or 8 times to get the ball in the hole? My cost per stroke goes down considerably.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 259.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/46 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.