Topic Stats

• 7,860 posts
  • 517 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 hours ago by JonCrox
  • Topic is favorited by 190 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,147 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

96A279BA-D769-4927-A255-614370D13582 (resized).jpeg
D42E605B-56D9-49C5-A6C0-0C8B2251718A (resized).jpeg
Castle (resized).png
IMG_20191027_094800 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_092217 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090807 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091030 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091023 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0012 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_102423 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090419 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090400 (resized).jpg
182073EA-3A86-4714-A07D-DE14034970C6 (resized).jpeg
B7D506CB-DD8C-4B4D-A4C1-A02716D2C79C (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7860 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 158.
#2151 3 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I'm not rating Hobbit until the code is closer to completion.

I agree. Although I am enjoying it as is, I am looking forward to future updates and the eventual completion of the games code.

#2152 3 years ago

At one point I wasn't liking playing the game without knowing what the end goal was. Even if I didn't have a chance to get there it still feels good on LoTR when I get 4+ gifts of the elves.
But now I just concentrate on trying to finish arkenstone modes which is bloody hard.

#2153 3 years ago

I think that mode completion bonuses and some sort of fanfare when a mode is completed will change the game completely.
Something as simple as hearing gold coins drop to let you know you have accomplished something along with a call-out.
Right now completing modes needs to be more rewarding and the rewards have to vary a bit to match the elf, dwarf, or man sections for a sense of real accomplishment.
This will bait players into completing modes, especially novice players.

The game is an incredible rush! But, I think it needs to be more than achieving the 3 mini wizard modes on the way to the final mode.

Meaningful audible cues are important.

I think that the journey has to be as important, or as compelling as the destination for balance.

#2154 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I need these for multi ball particularly into the fire and barrel escape

Some modes have different / more sounds than others and it sure makes a difference. the mode feels even more unique.

#2155 3 years ago

I think that mode completion bonuses and some sort of fanfare when a mode is completed will change the game completely.
Something as simple as hearing gold coins drop to let you know you have accomplished something along with a call-out.
Right now completing modes needs to be more rewarding and the rewards have to vary a bit to match the elf, dwarf, or man sections for a sense of real accomplishment.
The game is an incredible rush! But, I think it needs to be more than achieving the 3 mini wizard modes on the way to the final mode.

You want mode completion bonus?
1.35p will make you cream your pants. Timer bonus, Map bonus and associated mode bonus. 3 Levels of bonus. And you can string/stack the Associated mode bonus together.
I think the sound for completing a mode is pretty good at the moment, sounds like an angel coming down and giving you the Rune

I hope the had some more shaker stuff. I was just playing my Star Trek and when you hit a shot in a mode it gives a quick strong shake. It feels so damn good. In the hobbit the shaker is there, but it only shakes when multiball is starting and possibly in some other areas....but its so weak that you forget its even in there.
If they don't want to shake the game too much maybe they should make it optional?

#2156 3 years ago

I think it needs to be something similar to the mode starts.

You get the 5 symbols all joining together at the start. At the end it should show something similar to show progress to getting the arkenstone. All power stops from the flippers. balls drain and then the video starts.

Perhaps something similar to how the smaug multiball lock has 3 movie scenes, each ark mode when completed should show part of the movie where the stone is revealed. Once all three modes have been completed show this (

) cue epic music and a final victory mode.

#2157 3 years ago

That's brilliant.

Quoted from koops:I think it needs to be something similar to the mode starts.
You get the 5 symbols all joining together at the start. At the end it should show something similar to show progress to getting the arkenstone. All power stops from the flippers. balls drain and then the video starts.
Perhaps something similar to how the smaug multiball lock has 3 movie scenes, each ark mode when completed should show part of the movie where the stone is revealed. Once all three modes have been completed show this ( ยป YouTube video ) cue epic music and a final victory mode.

#2158 3 years ago

Hobbit LE #1498 landed today in Cincinnati, OH. I ordered this game sight unseen, the reason will become clear in a couple of months. I thought it was strange that the ship date was October 5 (my birthday) but the build date was August 28. The only conclusion I could reach is they were holding up games to apply parts revisions. I notice the wireform ramp on the left side going to the return lane has an additional wire on the left side running the length about half a ball high. I can't tell you how cool the Rad-cals are. It's hard to show the effect but I will try. Compare the reflections from the garage door and sunshine. More to follow.

hobbit10 (resized).JPG

#2159 3 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Noticed that Version 1.21 seems to have removed the splashing water in the book display when you hit the barrel bumpers. I really got a kick outta that. Actually I was amazed at the creativity that was involved in that. ?

I've never seen the splashing water on the book when you hit the barrels. Saw this on a recent Buffalo Pinball video on YouTube where Jack mentioned the splashing.. wonder why they took it out? (Im on 1.31) went looking for it and I can't see it happening..

#2160 3 years ago

I was told that a whole bunch of games were made, mine is one of them, and they were waiting on toys. That would explain the difference between manufacture and ship date. I was hoping for this week as I am gone all next and then heading to Expo. I had a confirmation date of 2012, order date of 1/2013. I checked and have e-mails saying probably May, August, early September, released to production, (without inquiring on my part) and then should be soon and waiting on toys since I asked. I hope it isn't much longer.

#2161 3 years ago

When we went to the factory tour on September 17, 2016, this line of Hobbit LEs were waiting for a replacement Smaug. I think Jack stated that they received a bad batch and were waiting on replacements. Maybe this can be the first known picture of your game if it is in this batch

IMG_6378 (resized).jpg

#2162 3 years ago

Took a drive down to PA and grabbed this tonight from a pinsider.
Staying over at mother in laws 2 hours from home and then tomorrow I dig into this baby. Been flipping through this thread, looking forward to it!

image (resized).jpeg

#2163 3 years ago

I really wanted some plastic protectors installed so I went with the Laseriffic green fluorescent protectors. I love the look! I am hoping a complete set for the rest of the game will eventually be made.

ACC3F005-24E8-4075-ADC3-566E071463F6 (resized).jpg

I've got to fix one of my beasts this weekend so I can get some play time in. I finally got the parts I need from BAA.

#2164 3 years ago

My plunger , home made all right

IMG_20161008_104604 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161007_201751 (resized).jpg

#2165 3 years ago

Okay, so I've spent some time digging in, here are some of my personal thoughts.

Looks great, build quality appears good. The playfield glass does not seem to be an exact fit or it's off a bit in the slides. It makes getting the glass on and off a little difficult.

The game is really something else, but I don't want to glow too much in this honeymoon phase. It will be getting even better for sure, the modes are well done and when polished, will really set the bar. With that said, there is a lot going on in these rules and it can feel overwhelming. I don't think this is a bad thing, it can just drive you a little crazy because you want to know everything right now and it's hard to get a grasp of this in a single player game. So much to see, it's best played with a friend.

I have the post fix on the left rail, only once has it hopped over and a quick bang to the cab free'd it. The game flows well and I like the shots and what's here. One of the things I did was align the flippers more straight, as they were up slightly. This makes for much better spinner shots.

It tough to say whether the game feels too easy or it's just really crazy. Perhaps too easy is the wring word, it has a lot of modes and more to come. It is a test of stamina.
peaking of which, some of these multiball modes are among the most insane I've ever experienced in a game, and ball time in general is very high.

When it's all said and done, I think this is a special game, like WOZ. Time will tell how it holds up for the build or replay, but so far so good, I'm a fan.

#2166 3 years ago

Just joined the club Smaug #602. I'm so glad this was my first NIB. Absolutely beautiful!!!

#2167 3 years ago

After reading all the forums and threads about "The Hobbit" I knew the only way I was going to get this game down in the basement was to break her down in three parts - backbox, lower cabinet, and playfield. There was no way I was going to lift the playfield out myself. Mission accomplished.

Hobbit11 (resized).JPG

Hobbit12 (resized).JPG

#2168 3 years ago

I'm slowly reading through all 44 pages. On about page 12 or so, there was a question about the ball falling through the hole in the right ramp and immediately looping into the out lane. I have this game since October 1st and experience the same problem. I noticed that the ramp was at what appears to be a 15 to 20 degree angle to the right. I have been slowly trying to bend this to parallel with the playfield. It has helped but not much. I moved the post to the right to the smallest position and this has helped. It usually bounces the ball to the left flipper but once in a while it drains down the middle.

(I have centered the wire ramp as best as possible within the lane. The ball draining to the right outlane was happening before and after I added the Laseriffic green protectors.)

I added small felt sticker dots almost at the end of the ramp. So far, it appears to help. I have not had the ball fly off to the out lane.... yet. I played several more games and went into several multi balls. It is better but not really a perfect solution. I wonder if adding the blue square rubbers at the end of the ramp would help? Of course I would need a way to keep them in place.

Michael

THLE-52 (resized).jpg
THLE-51 (resized).jpg

#2169 3 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

After reading all the forums and threads about "The Hobbit" I knew the only way I was going to get this game down in the basement was to break her down in three parts - backbox, lower cabinet, and playfield. There was no way I was going to lift the playfield out myself. Mission accomplished.

oh my lord! Is that due to a tight turning stair case or something?

One thing is for sure, no one is every going to steal it in a hurry

Quoted from mbelofsky:

I'm slowly reading through all 44 pages. On about page 12 or so, there was a question about the ball falling through the hole in the right ramp and immediately looping into the out lane.

I had this occur about twice in about 100 games. In the past week I had to remove the main ramp to bend the flaps back. In doing so I had to remove both ramp wireforms. After putting them back i've experienced the ball looping out every single game :\

I think it definitely has to do with the last post that holds each ramp. I have some very detailed historical photos from when it worked perfectly so i'll refer to them to see if I can get it right again.

#2170 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I had this occur about twice in about 100 games. In the past week I had to remove the main ramp to bend the flaps back. In doing so I had to remove both ramp wireforms. After putting them back i've experienced the ball looping out every single game :\
I think it definitely has to do with the last post that holds each ramp. I have some very detailed historical photos from when it worked perfectly so i'll refer to them to see if I can get it right again.

It was happening to me every game. Sooooo annoying. I tried bending it in so many ways but it still happened once in a while. I just gave up in the end an put a tiny tiny bit of blu-tac (not sure what's it's called in the US) on the end of loop. The ball hits it and goes straight down. Hasn't gone to out lane once in 2 weeks.

#2171 3 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I'm slowly reading through all 44 pages. On about page 12 or so, there was a question about the ball falling through the hole in the right ramp and immediately looping into the out lane. I have this game since October 1st and experience the same problem. I noticed that the ramp was at what appears to be a 15 to 20 degree angle to the right. I have been slowly trying to bend this to parallel with the playfield. It has helped but not much. I moved the post to the right to the smallest position and this has helped. It usually bounces the ball to the left flipper but once in a while it drains down the middle.
(I have centered the wire ramp as best as possible within the lane. The ball draining to the right outlane was happening before and after I added the Laseriffic green protectors.)
I added small felt sticker dots almost at the end of the ramp. So far, it appears to help. I have not had the ball fly off to the out lane.... yet. I played several more games and went into several multi balls. It is better but not really a perfect solution. I wonder if adding the blue square rubbers at the end of the ramp would help? Of course I would need a way to keep them in place.
Michael

Bend the double loops up a little past parallel to the PF maybe about 5 degrees. This changes the spin of the ball to lateral instead of vertical.
I havent had a ball spin out of the lane in the last 500 plays.

#2172 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

oh my lord! Is that due to a tight turning stair case or something?
One thing is for sure, no one is every going to steal it in a hurry

You shouldn't have to remove the main ramp to bend the flaps! Just loosen the ramp entrances and lift it up over the active ball. Plenty of room to bend back. Speaking of which:
Where is the ramp flap fix JJP!!!!??

#2173 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You shouldn't have to remove the main ramp to bend the flaps! Just loosen the ramp entrances and lift it up over the active ball. Plenty of room to bend back. Speaking of which:

Call Frank at JJP, the fix is available if you ask for it.

#2174 3 years ago

Call Frank at JJP, the fix is available if you ask for it.

Are you sure about that? I had an update to my support ticket yesterday asking if they could be picked up at expo and Victor said they'd be shipped out instead so they could keep track. No mentioned of time frame was given though.

Quoted from Pimp77:

My ramp flaps were so bent that I couldn't get enough room to bend them back enough if I took out just the screws. Entry to the ramps was very difficult by how bent they were. Literally unplayable as 9/10 ramp shots would be deflected by the ramps and just bounced from edge to edge.

#2175 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I had an update to my support ticket yesterday asking if they could be picked up at expo

They'd have no way of getting parts to Expo.

LTG : )

#2176 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

They'd have no way of getting parts to Expo.

yeah, it was just a desperate attempt to see if they'd want to save sending it 11,000 miles :\

#2177 3 years ago

Bend the double loops up a little past parallel to the PF maybe about 5 degrees. This changes the spin of the ball to lateral instead of vertical.
I havent had a ball spin out of the lane in the last 500 plays.

Thank you. I removed the felt pads and bent the bottom wire up a little by hand. (Is the the best way to do it?) Although not perfect, I did get my best game yet over 1 million (I am still using training wheels with 5 balls/game). It did spin a few times and go to the outlane twice and to the other in lane a few times. But I did not lose the ball as much. I may try to bend a bit more especially if anyone can suggest a better way to bend the bottom double loop.

Before I played this really good game, I was checking the menu to go through the tests just to try everything. I then played a game and during the second ball, the main display lost the signal. Very strange. I turned off the game and pulled out the playfield. I tightened the video connectors as much as they would go since there were not screwed in all the way. I turned on the game and the display worked and then I played this really great game for me. So hopefully that will not happen again.

I just noticed that post #905 from PinballInReno on page 19 has the solution and how to adjust it.

#2178 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

yeah, it was just a desperate attempt to see if they'd want to save sending it 11,000 miles :\

I am sorry it couldn't be worked out.

LTG : (

#2179 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Are you sure about that?

I have it in hand. I ordered it with a few other parts like a complete rubber kit for TH and WOZ.
I also ordered the upper mylars for the character mechs, a must have if you dont have them on your game.

#2180 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I am sorry it couldn't be worked out.
LTG : (

I only just noticed "Jjp Tech Support, MN" in your title

I'd hazard a guess the flaps used are unlike any other pins so I couldn't just use another flap I can potentially find locally.

ie. http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=flap

#2181 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I'd hazard a guess the flaps used are unlike any other pins so I couldn't just use another flap I can potentially find locally.

The ones on Hobbit aren't blued. Otherwise a flap is a flap. The game doesn't know what is on it.

#2182 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The ones on Hobbit aren't blued. Otherwise a flap is a flap. The game doesn't know what is on it.

Aren't they supposed to be spring steel though? Hobbit ones don't seem to be. If you flex them they stay bent (which is the whole issue).

#2183 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Aren't they supposed to be spring steel though?

No idea. Contact Frank at JJP and ask.

#2184 3 years ago

Anyone think we will see new Hobbit code at Expo?

Its been about 2 months since the last Hobbit update. I think Keith is either going to release a larger update for Expo or has been shifted to getting Pats game ready for Expo.

#2185 3 years ago

I sure hope so it's been a long time, I have my fingers crossed he tones down the multiballs

#2186 3 years ago
Quoted from tron1969:

I have my fingers crossed he tones down the multiballs

Tones down? I happen to really like them. The game wouldn't be the same without.

#2187 3 years ago

I play one on location and I think it has way too many multiballs also.

#2188 3 years ago

Beast multiball running at the same time as Smaug multiball ruins the Smaug experience for me.

#2189 3 years ago
Quoted from tron1969:

Beast multiball running at the same time as Smaug multiball ruins the Smaug experience for me.

The best way is to trigger the beast multiball prior to doing smaug.

#2190 3 years ago

What is the lead time to get a Hobbit to my front door if I order today? I have no idea what the wait time is like for a JJP machine. I'm looking to get a NIB for x-mas but there's not much inventory to get from Stern at the moment that I like.

#2191 3 years ago

I wouldn't mind having both multi balls stacked if there's more differentiation.

Currently I just shoot at everything not really knowing what counted towards what.

#2192 3 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

What is the lead time to get a Hobbit to my front door if I order today? I have no idea what the wait time is like for a JJP machine. I'm looking to get a NIB for x-mas but there's not much inventory to get from Stern at the moment that I like.

If you order directly from JJP I don't know if there is any inventory sitting around. I am guessing they are shipping to pre-orders, overseas, and distributors as soon as they are built. As an example, I had a pre-order with JJP direct. Katie called and said it was ready to ship. R+L Carriers called two days later wanting to deliver it. That is New Jersey to Ohio in two days. If you can strike a deal with a distributor who has one ready to go on the skid then I would presume you could have similar turnaround time.

#2193 3 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I think Joe@ PinballSTAR has them in stock. Get in touch with him. His pricing is good and he's a great guy.

#2194 3 years ago

Talked to frank today, wow..... not really sure he should be in customer service, very nervous, stutters a lot, seems extremely flakey!

#2195 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Talked to frank today, wow..... not really sure he should be in customer service, very nervous, stutters a lot, seems extremely flakey!

Frank couldn't be a nicer guy! very intelligent on his game and very personable.

#2196 3 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Frank couldn't be a nicer guy! very intelligent on his game and very personable.

Agreed! Very helpful.

#2197 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Having a stutter doesn't make you flakey. I've dealt with Frank and he was a great help.

#2198 3 years ago

I'm waiting for this...14642018_10209087039405511_7500557633007983794_n (resized).jpg

Because of this...14666175_10154509387273529_7209340882605311609_n (resized).jpg

#2199 3 years ago

5 Mill. wow. Arms sore?

Support has my flap updates ordered

Quoted from Jeekayjay:

I wouldn't mind having both multi balls stacked if there's more differentiation.
Currently I just shoot at everything not really knowing what counted towards what.

Have a look at the rules pdf. It is very details in what to shoot for during modes.

By atleast having a read prior to a game you don't get overwhelmed when there are more than 3 balls on the playfield.
It is quite structured on what you should be doing but you can easily get tunnel vision, i know I do, and not pay attention to what is flashing and what callouts are made.

#2200 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Frank is knowledgeable, friendly, courteous and professional.
Most of all, approachable regardless of your concern.
JJP is fortunate to have him on staff.

Im not sure what else you could be looking for as far as support.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
6,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Fe, NM
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
There are 7860 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 158.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside