IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,995 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 260.
#1951 7 years ago

Does anyone know what led strip or what filter to change on the backbox to make it warmer? Itsort too cool looking for the theme. Love the game.

Thanks

#1952 7 years ago
Quoted from system11:

Well mine is still offline until I can get the rest of the trapdoor mylar but the list of problems has grown a bit. Just diagnosed the lamp problem, someone at the factory cable tied the lamp board B to C cable so tight that it's actually damaged it internally. Just tested with an old cat5 cable I had and bingo, solid lamps again near the back.
However I still have problems with Smaug - it would really help if some owner(s) could play their game for 15 minutes and let me know if the smaug rotation motor gets really hot. Mine had the whole bracket hot to the touch. Also if you switch the game into test mode from attract, does the Smaug left stop switch show as active? Mine works, but it seems to park just off the switch as if it can't really hold it there and I wonder if this results in a stronger hold voltage or something crazy like that. Or maybe they just burn hot as the sun as standard?

Sorry I meant to check this for you The last time you asked. I got my Mylar installed yesterday so I will play for a while tonight and let you know re: the motor.

#1953 7 years ago

Does this game have the eerie and iconic "Misty Mountains" song in it?

#1954 7 years ago

It will be hard to get the balance right with multiballs. Right now I feel like the best way to qualify for an arkenstone mode is just to keep Smaug multiball going for as long as I can and almost everything will automatically qualify. Obviously its a shooter game with the detailed modes it feels like too many things can happen on their own.

Keiths idea was to be able to end beast multiball after a certain amount of time, or after cashing in some super SJs?

I think in its current mode state MODE multiballs are needed, because some modes are just too hard. Sometimes I have 1 ball, and the mode tells me to hit 4 different things. When I hit the 4th I think I'm done with 15 seconds on the clock, and then it tells you to hit the yellow targets. I cannot make 9 shots in that time. especially when 6 are on the edge of a flipper.

I know i will memorize all 31 modes over time, but it would be nice to be able to see maybe a difficulty rating on the book before the mode starts so I know if i should be concentrating on bringing in a mode lock, or if I should just start the mode.

#1955 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Sorry I meant to check this for you The last time you asked. I got my Mylar installed yesterday so I will play for a while tonight and let you know re: the motor.

Damn that was fast - my last JJP ticket took nearly 2 months.

#1956 7 years ago
Quoted from system11:

The ticket system is poor in my opinion.
Calling them directly will have fast results.

#1957 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you try jump starting the motherboard ?
LTG : )

How do I jump start it?
I can't find a reset button, can someone send me a picture of what I am looking for?

#1958 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

When I would plunge the ball it used to make it to the upper dwarF target - now only the d or w. What do I need to do to make sure it is aligned properly to get the maximum distance?

Here is what I did for the shooter strength. Just double the existing shooter spring. Take another shooter spring like the one from the factory and put them together. It's perfect! You can hit every target and still maintain a delicate touch for the inland shot and lower targets.

#1959 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

can someone send me a picture of what I am looking for?

PM me your email address and I'll send you instructions and big pictures.

#1960 7 years ago
Quoted from system11:

I haven't received my update kit yet but I did get the mylar. Definitely call them.

I tested my Smaug motor temperature this evening. At idle after letting the game sit in attract mode for approximately 15 minutes, the temperature with my infrared heat gun was 91°. This was measured on the bottom of the motor itself. If I powered off the game the temperature dropped quickly, say ~ 3° in 5 seconds. After playing a few games it went up to 93° by the time I got the playfield up where I could register it and the temperature dropped quickly as expected.

It's hot to the touch but not hot enough that I would be concerned. I would have to keep my finger on the surface for 2-3 seconds to start to really feel the heat.

Regarding the Smaug switches if I power on the game, the game goes into attract. Then I go right into setup into device tests and select the Dragon (SMAUG) Head Test. The "Dragon (Smaug) Limit - left" switch is active.

I would ask JJP about that as well.

I'm glad I lifted my playfield because I found a few of those drop target white plastic screws and lock nuts on top of my PC chassis lid. I also found this:

What is this??What is this??

It looks like it is something use to pipe light. I can see the injection molding circle on the edge of the piece. Time to scour the manual for info.

#1961 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I also found this:

Looks like the broken pieces of a part installed in front of the pop up characters to prevent ball hang ups.

#1962 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I also found this:

could be parts of the clear plastic u-channel from one of the pop-up mech leaf switches

#1963 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

could be parts of the clear plastic u-channel from one of the pop-up mech leaf switches

This.

30-0055-00 Pop Up Character Switch Locator.

#1964 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Same part on MM Troll : 30-9808 Troll Guide

#1965 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I haven't received my update kit yet but I did get the mylar. Definitely call them.
I tested my Smaug motor temperature this evening. At idle after letting the game sit in attract mode for approximately 15 minutes, the temperature with my infrared heat gun was 91°. This was measured on the bottom of the motor itself. If I powered off the game the temperature dropped quickly, say ~ 3° in 5 seconds. After playing a few games it went up to 93° by the time I got the playfield up where I could register it and the temperature dropped quickly as expected.
It's hot to the touch but not hot enough that I would be concerned. I would have to keep my finger on the surface for 2-3 seconds to start to really feel the heat.

Regarding the Smaug switches if I power on the game, the game goes into attract. Then I go right into setup into device tests and select the Dragon (SMAUG) Head Test. The "Dragon (Smaug) Limit - left" switch is active.
I would ask JJP about that as well.

Is that 91F or 91C? I know that sounds like a silly question... I'm going to need to buy one of those heat guns, I've got no way to measure it. Definitely doesn't park correctly though.

#1966 7 years ago

Concerning MBs...

My general impression with this game is you almost need a 'spotter' to tell you what to be shooting at. I can look up and read the book during modes a lot of the times but during MB forget it. Additionally, I've noticed that there really isn't the needed info a lot of times on the book for Smaug MB and Into the Fire (never been to Barrel Escape yet). I think I finished the first stage of Into the Fire last night but couldn't really tell for sure and quickly drained when I was trying to figure out what was next. At least some call outs would be very helpful.

#1967 7 years ago

F#ck me, this game is epic.

IMG20160914213602 (resized).jpgIMG20160914213602 (resized).jpg

#1968 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Concerning MBs...
My general impression with this game is you almost need a 'spotter' to tell you what to be shooting at. I can look up and read the book during modes a lot of the times but during MB forget it. Additionally, I've noticed that there really isn't the needed info a lot of times on the book for Smaug MB and Into the Fire (never been to Barrel Escape yet). I think I finished the first stage of Into the Fire last night but couldn't really tell for sure and quickly drained when I was trying to figure out what was next. At least some call outs would be very helpful.

Most of the time during the mode you don't need to real the screen. Just shoot the flashing SCROLL insert. I guess it gets confusing when you need to shoot a ramp and all targets are flashing to add value. Maybe Keith can change the color to flash white instead of the orange color.

For smaug. They cannot give instructions on the little screen as you can stack a mode with smaug.
You just keep shooting the arrows until the SJ is ready. I agree that it needs more verbal instructions.

For Arkenstone Modes instructions are in bottom right of screen. I am guessing they might add more instructions on the little screen but remember that arkenstone modes are still 'new' and maybe a little unrefined.
Barrel escape is the same as ITF

#1969 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

My Smaug is stopping correctly now even though I haven't touched anything, I'm assuming a cable being tied wrong is to blame.

However, the motor after 20 minutes was up to 99 degrees on the back surface and takes 5 full minutes before the temperature starts to drop at all.

Also noticed the printing on my playfield isn't the best - pictured is the worst bit by far - those lines to some degree run all the way down. A little bit of grain visible on the right catching the light too. It's not like the sheet of perfect glass that my WOZ resembles.

hobbit_PF (resized).jpghobbit_PF (resized).jpg

#1970 7 years ago

Quoted from LTG:

This.

Quoted from LTG:

Awesome guys, thanks! Now that I know what I am looking for I found out that the part broke on my spider mech. I will have to reach out and buy some from JJP directly since I can't find that part (by the part #) on any pinball parts sites.

I may as well buy extras.

Quoted from system11:

Is that 91F or 91C? I know that sounds like a silly question... I'm going to need to buy one of those heat guns, I've got no way to measure it. Definitely doesn't park correctly though.

Whoops, it's in Fahrenheit.

I bought this infrared heat thermometer to check the temp of my oil when frying The one I ordered was only $17 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00837ZGRY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I have also used it to measure the cold air coming out of our A/C ductwork. It is a very handy tool.

Quoted from system11:

My Smaug is stopping correctly now even though I haven't touched anything, I'm assuming a cable being tied wrong is to blame.
However, the motor after 20 minutes was up to 99 degrees on the back surface and takes 5 full minutes before the temperature starts to drop at all.
Also noticed the printing on my playfield isn't the best - pictured is the worst bit by far - those lines to some degree run all the way down. A little bit of grain visible on the right catching the light too. It's not like the sheet of perfect glass that my WOZ resembles.

Maybe the Smaug base plate isn't aligned correctly on the stepper motor shaft or has come loose? I would definitely focus on getting the base plate to actuate the left limit switch.

My game doesn't have that printing issue.

#1971 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

F#ck me, this game is epic.

I s$@k but my son can play!

IMG_6671[1] (resized).JPGIMG_6671[1] (resized).JPG

#1972 7 years ago

How the heck did he get that?

My high is still only 700-something and heck I just hit that the other day.

#1973 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I found this part @ BAA:

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-MM03-9808

#1974 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

03-9808

#1975 7 years ago

Steve at Pinball Refinery has done it again for me! Coin door powder coat complete with gold bling and Cliffy's protectors rock...I'm so thankful for talented modders to feed my addition Loving my Hobbit SE

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#1976 7 years ago

The ticket system is poor in my opinion.

Just to balance that with some positive experience: I opened four tickets in the support system on Wednesday. They were all handled to my satisfaction within two days.

#1977 7 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

Just to balance that with some positive experience: I opened four tickets in the support system on Wednesday. They were all handled to my satisfaction within two days.

I agree that the ticket system is getting a little better, but if you dont get a response in a day or 2 its best to call.

#1978 7 years ago

Anybody knows when the next code update will be coming?

#1979 7 years ago

1.35p firmware to be shown at open house tomorrow

#1980 7 years ago

Was putting the hangup update in my beast mechs tonight and noticed the mech gouging into the playfield at the back edge of the hole. This has been mentioned in the tweak thread with extra mylar being a popular fix. I grabbed my pliers and bent the mech edge inward to remove the leading edge that was grabbing the playfield. Total fix. Clears it by about a mm now. Mech still operates perfectly.

2016-09-17_21.48.18 (resized).jpg2016-09-17_21.48.18 (resized).jpg

#1981 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

1.35p firmware to be shown at open house tomorrow

Awesome, looking forward to seeing what is in the next update!

#1982 7 years ago

So, what is the circular insert between the flippers telling me?

#1983 7 years ago

That's the arkenstone. Could be wrong but doesn't have a real function yet. Possibly could be the indicator for the final mode when it's in there. Right now I think it's just for lighting effects.

#1984 7 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Does this game have the eerie and iconic "Misty Mountains" song in it?

Just curious.

#1985 7 years ago

Billy, it's ok to be curious. It's perfectly natural for a boy your age to have questions. Have the talk with your mother about Misty Mountain.

#1986 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Have the talk with your mother about Misty Mountain.

I climbed the Misty Mountains (not mothers) years ago. Even planted a flag at the top.

I'm just about to join the Hobbit owners club, hoping the song is in it because I haven't heard it the dozen times I've played it.

#1987 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Was putting the hangup update in my beast mechs tonight and noticed the mech gouging into the playfield at the back edge of the hole. This has been mentioned in the tweak thread with extra mylar being a popular fix. I grabbed my pliers and bent the mech edge inward to remove the leading edge that was grabbing the playfield. Total fix. Clears it by about a mm now. Mech still operates perfectly.

Your game is early like mine, and missing the upper mylar around the character mechs.
Call Frank at JJP and have him send you the upper mylar pieces to support the top edge.
My game is wearing out the clearcoat from the flaps rubbing there, and has a few tiny chips in it.
You cant see them at all with the glass on, but, it will get much worse without the mylar support at the top of the mech.

#1988 7 years ago

Holy shit.

Just hit Barrel Escapefir the first time.

Ended up with GC of 1.3m.

I don't think it's a coincidence that it was right after tweaking my pitch. I could trap balls like never before and I also fixed an issue where the left diverter would cause the ball to skip off the wire form.

I've never had sore palms during a game ever before.

This game is so epic I can't wait for next update

#1989 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Holy shit.
Just hit Barrel Escapefir the first time.
Ended up with GC of 1.3m.
I don't think it's a coincidence that it was right after tweaking my pitch. I could trap balls like never before and I also fixed an issue where the left diverter would cause the ball to skip off the wire form.
I've never had sore palms during a game ever before.
This game is so epic I can't wait for next update

so what did ya do to fix the ball flying off left ramp? I'm having same prob.

#1990 7 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

I actually wasn't reading the original post as having a ball flying off the left ramp (I could be wrong?), but since you bring it up I am having that issue myself. Hitting the left ramp is occasionally causing the ball to travel off the left side of the ramp, in back of Smaug, ending up in the back loop. It always happens so quickly I can never tell how it happens, yet it seems to happen a lot. Inspecting that area, I'm not seeing anything obvious. When I mentioned it to Victor at JJP, he said he had not heard of that before. I've only been playing it a week now and it has happened maybe 10 times so far. Hmmm..

#1991 7 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

If the ball wont stay on the upper part of the wireform the problem is often too high of a pitch combined with flipper settings being too high.

Adjustment on this game can be touchy. This is why people post fractional pitch adjustments e.g. 6.9, 7.2 etc.
Once dialed in the game plays fantastic.

All pinball machines get super tweaked over time as the owners and operators get more experience on them and make adjustments.
This is why games at enthusiasts homes play like a dream, and often some location games play like crap.

#1992 7 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

My problem was that the diverter on the wire form that loads the wind lance was sitting too high. This caused the ball to touch the diverter everytime it passed over it. At lower speeds no big deal but a hard shot would cause the ball to skip when it touched and would knock the ball right onto the playfield.

All I did was push down on the diverter to bend it down until there was no more contact and voila! A nice smooth return to the inlane now.

#1993 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

So, what is the circular insert between the flippers telling me?

It gradually lights up brighter and brighter as you collect pieces of the Arkenstone.

#1994 7 years ago

I am not an owner, but just wanted to say what a great game this is. I have played a total of two games and it's just great, lots of shots, countless modes, a great light show and animations. No idea what I was doing, but it felt good. I played in the JJP tournament yesterday and finished 7th I think, scored 487k I think, first time I ever played it. Then went to play it at silverball museum and scored 890k and got the fourth highest score on the game, eached into the fire mb. Love the troll pop ups. In the tournament, the kick back was turned off if I recall. I have no idea if these are good scores, but it was a lot of fun playing it. Can't wait for JJP #3!

Anyone want to sell theirs, let me know.

20160917_170634 (resized).jpg20160917_170634 (resized).jpg
20160917_170502 (resized).jpg20160917_170502 (resized).jpg

#1995 7 years ago

Lermods: I fell under The Hobbit's spell too.. I played a Hobbit at a buddies house. I didn't think that I'd be buying another pin for a while. I bought an LE the next week. What an awesome game!

IMG_0041 (resized).JPGIMG_0041 (resized).JPG

#1997 7 years ago

The Hobbit is awesome! Sadly mine has been down for 10 days The motherboard power supply stopped working, but happily the replacement shipped yesterday! I should be up and running this weekend

#1998 7 years ago

My hobbit LE NIB shipped yesterday! should be here Friday. The countdown begins!!

#1999 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

The Hobbit is awesome! Sadly mine has been down for 10 days The motherboard power supply stopped working, but happily the replacement shipped yesterday! I should be up and running this weekend

Yeah I've been in the same boat with a bad power supply. The replacement arrives today so I should be able to get it installed this evening. Hopefully that was the issue and I can start playing again. Fingers crossed.

#2000 7 years ago

Mine is now at my local airport hopefully getting it home tonight. Kind of cool to get one in where the movies were made!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 25.50
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,995 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/40?hl=elf70 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.